PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Hollow's Last Hope OOC thread - party 1



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-13, 10:15 PM
Welcome to the discussion thread for Hollow's Last Hope! Post a link to your character sheet and your character's conversation colour below please.

The game will be starting up soon, but first I want to go over some guidelines:

Posting Frequency
As mentioned in the recruitment thread, I'd like to keep this game moving at a pace of one post per day. What that means is that I will personally be posting and moving the action forward every 24-hours at the minimum. If any people haven't posted their actions within that 24-hour window, I will control their actions for that step. In most cases, this will simply mean that they don't do anything and follow the will of the party, but if people know ahead of time that they won't be able to post for a coming day or don't have time to make a full post, if you post a brief summary of what you'd like your character to do in your absence, I can go with that. If we happen upon a day where multiple people are going to be gone and give advance warning, I'm cool with us all skipping that day so too many people don't get skipped.

As I also mentioned, I'm not going to enforce posting guidelines on weekends or holidays. Not to say that people can't post on those days, but I won't move action forward unless everyone has posted in that case. Also if people do post more than once a day, that's totally great and I will just treat it the same way with not moving action forward until everyone has posted.


Formatting
I don't want to be a formatting nazi, but I do like things to be clear and look nice. Using correct spelling, punctuation, and capitalization are pretty much a given. In addition I like to use colours for speaking in character, Italics for thinking in character, and spoiler tags for any game mechanics type actions or questions. Also, present tense please. Here's an example:


Batman is sitting alone in his batcave feeling blue. I'm feeling blue, he thinks to himself as a bat flies down from the darkness and lands on his head. What are you doing on my head, bat? he asks with a scowl. The bat does not respond.

I could really go for a cheeseburger right now, muses the caped crusader as he glares at the reflection of the bat in the batcomputer screen. He dips his fingers into his utility belt and pulls out a handful of spell components. Making an arcane gesture in the air and muttering the spell under his breath, Batman smiles. Cheeseburger time.

Casting Polymorph any Object (DC 22) to turn the bat into a cheeseburger.


Combat
I like to keep combat simple. Generally what you do in your post is to tell me exactly what your character plans to do, do your rolls, and I'll tell you the result on my turn. I won't be using the combat grid, so don't worry about making 5-foot steps and such. All you have to do is to describe what you're doing on that turn and to keep your actions to one standard and one move. (Or one full-round action.)

When combat starts, I roll initiatives for the whole party to save time. I match the highest roll in the party against the highest roll of the enemy/ enemies to determine who goes first - all the PCs or me.

Say one of you gets a natural 20 and the enemy rolls a 9, which wins the PCs initiative. All four of you post your actions and do your rolls, and I will take the order in which people post as the order of the attacks. Once everyone has posted, the PCs' turn ends. I tally up all the successful attacks and the damage, then apply it to the enemy. The enemy then attacks, I calculate your damage for you, then I end my turn.

(For this reason, please remember to keep your mythweaver's sheet updated! You wouldn't want me to roll damage against you with the wrong AC, would you?)


Combat Posts
Start out with your name, current hp, and any conditions you're suffering from at the top in bold. After that, just make your post in the usual format and include your actions in spoilered text at the bottom along with any rolls. Usually it'll be best to roll damage as well for each attack and then I'll just apply it if it hits or not apply it if it doesn't. Here's another example:

Batman
hp 112/124, sickened - the batburger didn't agree with him

Spotting the crooks dash around the corner, Batman moves accross the alleyway and ducks behind a dumpster. This dumpster stinks, he thinks to himself as he pulls a batarang from his belt and throws it at the nearest thug, aiming for the groin.

Attack: DICE ROLL (18-2 for being sickened)
Damage: DICE ROLL
Am I in cover behind the dumpster? That was my goal.


Other Stuff
Phew, that's about everything I need to get out of the way at this point, I guess. I'll be making all DM IC posts in red. I'll get the actual game thread up and running pretty soon and then we can get playing!

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-13, 10:24 PM
Also one question to help me write up the first post of the gameplay thread, where is everyone staying in town? As in do you have a room at an inn, are you living at home, etc? At this point in the story, please assume that if you're a local, you're aware that people seem to be more sick than usual and that if you're recently arrived from out of town, you are unaware of any spreading illness. i.e. Please assume that your quest-giver has NOT said anything about any cure just yet. (Yes, I know some of you have probably been reading the GM guide or the appendix to Crown of the Kobald King.)

Assuming everyone posts in this thread by tomorrow, I should theoretically be able to get that started then. Looking forward to playing with all of you!

Linguz
2013-01-13, 10:37 PM
I've gotta say, I don't particularly like that I have to post in present tense. Past tense is much more my style. So forgive me if I slip up every now and then, but I will try to post how you want me to.

I have not looked at the book!

I'll take the color... Dark Red if you let me, or Dark Orange if you don't.

War is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=492187) and check my signature, he'll be there too.

Edit: War is staying at an inn. He recently arrived at the town.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-13, 10:37 PM
Elena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=496666), Silver text.
Cerberus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=497036), Black text.

Obviously, Elena is staying at home. Unless they're all just waking up, assume Cerberus is already summoned.

18th Avenger
2013-01-13, 10:56 PM
Taking a simple blue for Owen (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=498174).

Looking forward to playing with all of you too. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: As to where he lives, Owen lives in the Farrier family home; one of the better-built structures in the area. Every morning, he has breakfast with his mother (his father and younger brother waking up early to go to work) before he steps out to what passes as the watch station to report for duties.

He keeps late hours, given his job. And often he gets home sometime after midnight.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-13, 11:06 PM
@ Linguz: Understood. I won't crack the whip if you really feel that you must post in the past tense. :smallcool:

@ aturtledoesbite: Does Elena already know that her parents are ill?

@ 18th Avenger: Same question for you. Is there anyone in Owen's immediate family who has taken sick from the illness?

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-13, 11:17 PM
I'm gonna tell you guys how I usually make posts.

Colored text, as Maggie says, is what my character/s say and think. Again, as Maggie has it, italics mean it's their thoughts. Unlike the example, though, I tend to put quotation marks around thoughts, as well. That separates the thoughts from the narration. Obviously, this text treats the fourth wall as a solid barrier that doesn't even know there's an opposite side.

Regular text is the narration. This, simply enough, will say what my character/s do. You know how this works, I assume. This text will sometimes paint the fourth wall, but otherwise treats it solid.

(Parenthetical text) represents my own comments to any actions I make. These are basically OOC lines that aren't long enough to warrant a post in this thread. Clearly, there is no fourth wall involved here.

As for rolls, I'll generally be making all the rolls I see as useful/necessary in the IC post. If I botch up the formatting for one or decide after the post (but before anyone else's) that I want to make a roll, then I'll do it here, but that won't be often.

I tend to lean toward the descriptive in my post, so don't be expecting one-line responses. This is especially true when I'm describing the first time Elena casts a spell/ uses a spell-like/ does something similar. And may the gods help ye if Elena and Cerberus ever need to have an extended conversation through telepathy. I can tell you now, those are going to be long posts. I'll do my best to keep them short and/or interesting.

(Speaking of telepathy, if mind-reading ever becomes a plot point, assume Elena's and Cerberus's thoughts are in the Infernal language.)

So yeah. If I missed anything, I'll cover it in another post. And yes, I know the first part of this was basically repeated from Maggie's posting preferences, but I wanted to type out the whole list anyway. :P

EDIT:

@ aturtledoesbite: Does Elena already know that her parents are ill?

Well, she lives with said parents, so I'd wager she does. :P
Probably already gone to the herbalist to diagnose and treat them, if she noticed before the day we're starting.

18th Avenger
2013-01-13, 11:18 PM
@ 18th Avenger: Same question for you. Is there anyone in Owen's immediate family who has taken sick from the illness?
By the grace of Erastil, none of the Farriers have taken sick. Owen's mother and head of the household, Margritte, has had some training from the sisters of Sarenrae and she keeps her family healthy. When she can, she volunteers at the hospice. Magritte is pretty for a woman in her late thirties; a definite catch when she was younger.

However, father Edwinn's constitution was never what you'd call robust. And Kerris might just have inherited his father's weakness.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 12:00 AM
I just noticed. Our party has a 50/50 gender ratio, while the other one is a sausage fest.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 12:18 AM
@ aturtledoesbite: Of course, please do add in the quotation marks as you see fit. Considering that PF is an RPG though, 4th wall limitations are pretty flexible anyway. I'm fine for as long as nobody metagames though.

I would appreciate it if you could put all OOC text in the spoiler tags though. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't have OOC text tags to clearly separate IC from OOC text. I'm just trying to unclutter the posts and keep them neat, so if there's a question or comment that needs attention, I know exactly where to find it. Parentheses might get buried in a long post.

Long descriptions are cool. Just not every post, OK? :smallwink:

18th Avenger
2013-01-14, 12:20 AM
I just noticed. Our party has a 50/50 gender ratio, while the other one is a sausage fest.
Hehe, he said sausages.

... I don't know why I laughed. I gotta cut back on the /tg/.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 12:23 AM
I would appreciate it if you could put all OOC text in the spoiler tags though. Unfortunately, this forum doesn't have OOC text tags to clearly separate IC from OOC text. I'm just trying to unclutter the posts and keep them neat, so if there's a question or comment that needs attention, I know exactly where to find it. Parentheses might get buried in a long post.

Long descriptions are cool. Just not every post, OK? :smallwink:

Oh, it won't be important OOC. Maybe just a small joke I might crack about something. If they were important, they'd go here.

And I don't have the creativity to make every post monstrous. (Though, in a different RP I'm in, one of the players does, and it's a common threat to bury people in his mountains of text. :D)

oyzar
2013-01-14, 02:04 AM
Alicia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=497047) will post in green.

I really would prefere if we got a battle grid or at least distances between things(if you are going to list all the distances, a battlegrid might be simpler).

I'll try to comply with the norms above as well including keeping ooc things in this thread or in spoilers.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 03:49 AM
All right, if you really want a battlegrid, I'll look into getting a google docs map up. I will need a gmail address from all of you when the time comes.

IC thread will be up later when I am done with work for the day. Do take note that since everyone is starting at different points and because aturtledoesbite's character works for the quest-giver, some of you will have to do slightly more role-playing to get things going.

18th Avenger
2013-01-14, 06:41 AM
All right, if you really want a battlegrid, I'll look into getting a google docs map up. I will need a gmail address from all of you when the time comes.

IC thread will be up later when I am done with work for the day. Do take note that since everyone is starting at different points and because aturtledoesbite's character works for the quest-giver, some of you will have to do slightly more role-playing to get things going.
Just wanna stop by to say, "Awww yiss. It begins."

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 07:38 AM
Just wanna stop by to say, "Awww yiss. It begins."

I don't know what a "yiss" is, but I'll agree with the notion. Let's get this party started! :D

Also, something I just noticed: I could have simplified my explanation of colored text by directing you all to my signature. It's got the same format. >_<

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 08:09 AM
oyzar, where would Alicia be staying in Falcon's Hollow? (Or what is she doing first thing in the morning?)

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 08:10 AM
She's a traveler so probably in the inn now IC gogogo :D

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 08:13 AM
Dude, calm down. :smallsmile: You people are lucky it's still the first week of school. Any later in the term and I wouldn't be able to post multiple times a day.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 08:15 AM
Bah. Being calm is for people who aren't ready to get the fun started. (And also for people who don't have to leave in the next ten minutes. :P)

Linguz
2013-01-14, 10:55 AM
@ Linguz: Understood. I won't crack the whip if you really feel that you must post in the past tense. :smallcool:

Thank you. Forgot to subscribe this thread. Now I am.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 12:18 PM
Since aturtledoesbite answered for oyzar, here you go. IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267763)! Play nicely now.

As I mentioned earlier on, everyone starts off in a different area, so please bear with me while I get everyone over to Laurel's shop. Some of you, as I said, are likely to have to do more role-play posting than others. :smallcool:

Linguz
2013-01-14, 12:21 PM
All right, if you really want a battlegrid, I'll look into getting a google docs map up. I will need a gmail address from all of you when the time comes.

I, a long time ago, made a grid map. It's here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZcaAqLuX0TdHktZ1A0UlVGd0gzQ2hmTk5vUTVWN lE#gid=0). What I suggest is that you use the first letter of each of our character's names (W, E, C, O, A) for their position. To copy the spreadsheet, click File. Then go down and click Make a Copy.

My email is [email protected]

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 12:25 PM
I, a long time ago, made a grid map. It's here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiZcaAqLuX0TdHktZ1A0UlVGd0gzQ2hmTk5vUTVWN lE#gid=0). What I suggest is that you use the first letter of each of our character's names (W, E, C, O, A) for their position. To copy the spreadsheet, click File. Then go down and click Make a Copy.

My email is [email protected]

Ooh. That'd save me a lot of time. Thanks a bunch, Linguz!

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 12:35 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and post my email, then. [email protected]

18th Avenger
2013-01-14, 12:46 PM
"[email protected]"

And I'm sorry if my post is long. :smallredface:

EDIT: For Owen, we can probably fast-forward to him standing in the Hollow Tribunal station and receiving his orders.

oyzar
2013-01-14, 01:04 PM
Argh somehow I forgot to subscribe to this thread. I am sorry for the slow replies. Alica will be staying at the inn where she have been telling stories. I assume she have managed to catch rumors of the sickness, though if people do not want to speak about it she might not have.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 01:08 PM
Argh somehow I forgot to subscribe to this thread. I am sorry for the slow replies. Alica will be staying at the inn where she have been telling stories. I assume she have managed to catch rumors of the sickness, though if people do not want to speak about it she might not have.

Oops. I kind of went with aturtlesdoesbite's version and posted the IC thread. Alicia is at the inn and is currently unaware of the sickness, having only arrived in town late the night before. If you're not comfortable with this version of events, I can change it for you?

18th Avenger
2013-01-14, 01:10 PM
Weird thing is I just learned how to subscribe a few minutes ago. :smalltongue:

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 01:11 PM
To be fair, it's all my fault. Sorry about that.

oyzar
2013-01-14, 01:31 PM
Oops. I kind of went with aturtlesdoesbite's version and posted the IC thread. Alicia is at the inn and is currently unaware of the sickness, having only arrived in town late the night before. If you're not comfortable with this version of events, I can change it for you?

It is fine. I had to arrive at some time, late last night works, though Alica really is not the type to travel way into the night, seeing as she would prefer to work during the evening, when people are willing to listen to her.

18th Avenger
2013-01-14, 01:36 PM
@Maggie: How much do I know of Baleson? I didn't read the splat. Could I look him up?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 02:13 PM
@Maggie: How much do I know of Baleson? I didn't read the splat. Could I look him up?

Here you go. This is the blurb from the GM guide.



Deldrin used to be a poor lumberjack toiling in the cutyards under Gavel Thuldrin Kreed’s oppressive thumb. One day he refused to pay an “axe tax” on a lumberaxe he had already bought and paid for. Boss Teedum tried to take Deldrin’s axe, and the half-elf smashed Teedum’s face with the flat of it. As one of the few locals to stand up to Teedum and Kreed, he was elected Sheriff the following week. Now he carries the same axe around on his shoulder to remind Kreed and Boss Teedum he is not afraid of them. Deldrin is tall for a half-elf, towering over most humans, and his well-muscled, imposing form is further enhanced by his sharp gold- flecked eyes.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 02:17 PM
Once all of you are on your way to Laurel's shop, I'll stop doing the individual posts and start addressing all of you as a group.

Since Elena works at Roots and Remedies, I may have to respond slower to aturtledoesbite's posts to give the rest a chance to catch up.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 02:17 PM
Deldrin used to be a poor lumberjack toiling in the cutyards under Gavel Thuldrin Kreed’s oppressive thumb. One day he refused to pay an “axe tax” on a lumberaxe he had already bought and paid for. Boss Teedum tried to take Deldrin’s axe, and the half-elf smashed Teedum’s face with the flat of it. As one of the few locals to stand up to Teedum and Kreed, he was elected Sheriff the following week. Now he carries the same axe around on his shoulder to remind Kreed and Boss Teedum he is not afraid of them. Deldrin is tall for a half-elf, towering over most humans, and his well-muscled, imposing form is further enhanced by his sharp gold- flecked eyes.

I like this guy. :D

Linguz
2013-01-14, 10:32 PM
G'morning Maggie.

Edit: Are you fine with us doing IC inter-party talking in private on an IRC, then copy it into the IC thread in a single post?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-14, 10:34 PM
Good morning everybody!

Sure, go right ahead.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-14, 11:41 PM
A question: Could Elena use her own blood to cast Infernal Healing? Also, how do alignment descriptors affect spells?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 12:14 AM
A question: Could Elena use her own blood to cast Infernal Healing? Also, how do alignment descriptors affect spells?

I doubt she could use her own blood for Infernal Healing - not if her infernal heritage is weak enough to prevent her from gaining the longer lifespan. We're not using the Inner Sea World Guide either, though if you can provide me with a cool enough explanation, I could consider letting Elena use it.


Appearing on the same line as the school and subschool, when applicable, is a descriptor that further categorizes the spell in some way. Some spells have more than one descriptor.
The descriptors are acid, air, chaotic, cold, darkness, death, earth, electricity, evil, fear, fire, force, good, language-dependent, lawful, light, mind-affecting, sonic, and water.
Most of these descriptors have no game effect by themselves, but they govern how the spell interacts with other spells, with special abilities, with unusual creatures, with alignment, and so on.

The alignment descriptor simply designates the alignment of the spell, which may then affect the target of the spell or what the spell can be used for.

So if say Elena used Infernal Healing [evil] on Cerberus, Cerberus would detect as being of evil alignment for the next minute. This might piss off a paladin or a lawful good party member. Cerberus might also be susceptible/ immune for that minute to other spells that target alignment (e.g. Magic Circle against Evil; Holy Word)

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 12:29 AM
Ah, alright then. If I happen to think of something, I'll tell you, but it's not a high priority.

And for descriptors, I was asking because I was wondering if they were limited to characters of the alignment. Apparently not.

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 12:52 AM
Thanks, Maggie. I started looking up the splat for Hope. I'm liking what I read. :smallbiggrin:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 12:55 AM
You applied for an adventure without reading the blurb for it first? You, my friend, are crazy. :smallbiggrin:

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 01:02 AM
You applied for an adventure without reading the blurb for it first? You, my friend, are crazy. :smallbiggrin:
You can do that? I thought it was just good manners not to look up an adventure before you signed up for it. :smallredface:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 01:10 AM
It's one thing to read stuff from the Pathfinder Wikia or the Paizo website, or even to use the Pathfinder guides on the area, so that you can get an idea of what you're in for. (e.g. I'm not one for aquatic campaigns or campaigns that have massive amounts of investigative work, e.g. Carrion Crown, so I usually do a little research to make sure that whatever I'm getting into isn't one of those.) It's quite another thing though, to download the GM guide and read through it all in advance so that you can deliberately build your character to face whatever challenges lie ahead. :smallwink:

I'm fine with players doing both though. Just as long as nobody meta-games too much if they've been reading the GM guide or played the adventure before.

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 11:20 AM
@Linguz: Oh, man. Here we go! First character interaction of the thread. :smallbiggrin:

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 11:27 AM
Woo!
War impales Owen on his greatsword. Interaction done. :P (I only say this because I could totally see it happening.)

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 11:27 AM
Have fun, folks. I'll just be over here, rubbing my hands together in glee while cackling evilly. :smallwink:

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 11:28 AM
GM cackling evilly? I do not see how this could possibly go wrong.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 11:29 AM
:smallbiggrin:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 11:31 AM
By the way, aturtledoesbite, if you're feeling bored, I'll rule that if Elena can pass a DC 15 Perception check, she can notice that there's something going on outside the shop.

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 11:32 AM
@Maggie: Okay, I'm a little on guard now. :smallamused:

I also realized that Elena and Owen grew up in Falcon's Hollow together and don't have much of an age difference. Maybe he would've been one of the kids to not bother her or even stick up for her every now and again. Not really childhood friends, but close to it.

However, I must confess that the words "childhood friends" make me wince a little...

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 11:37 AM
Hehe. Got it. Write Elena as having a crush on Owen. *shot*

...Ow. Fine, fine. Platonic familiarity with him it is.

Anyway, gonna roll the Perception here. [roll0]

EDIT: Woo, a 19! Now watch as I don't roll another double-digit for the rest of the module. :(

EDIT2: Oh, derp. I completely screwed that up. Accidentally deleted the end bracket. Maybe I can just put it back...?

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 11:40 AM
@Turtles: Who knows? Characters have a way of running away with you. :smallsmile:

But the roll... *whistles* That's a raw 19. Good roll there, man. :smallwink:

EDIT: Oh, boy... :smalleek:

War's not coming along quietly... Gotta play this smooth. :elan:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 11:41 AM
Linguz, is War trying to intimidate Owen or the NPC? If it's Owen he's after, I'll let 18th Avenger sort it out.

oyzar
2013-01-15, 11:42 AM
The first encounter is surviving ourselves? XD Let's see how this goes... Too bad I put off getting much diplomacy due to versatile performance at level 2... This might be fun.

Edit: Also would be nice if we had some posting order since we are kinda taking turns against each other... Joining IRC makes coordination easier.

oyzar
2013-01-15, 11:56 AM
18th Avenger and Linguz you are running away with actions before I get the chance to join in :(

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 11:57 AM
Just wanted to point out... 18th Avenger, the line is actually outside the store. Not inside.

Come on, guys. Let oyzar post!

18th Avenger
2013-01-15, 12:04 PM
Just wanted to point out... 18th Avenger, the line is actually outside the store. Not inside.

Come on, guys. Let oyzar post!
Edited. Now, I'll wait.

And work on other posts. :smallsmile:

oyzar
2013-01-15, 12:12 PM
Rolls for IC since i forgot them in my post:

[roll0]Perform (Oratory)
[roll1]Diplomacy if i can not use my Perform score since I do not technically have versatile performance yet.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-15, 12:20 PM
@ oyzar: I used your diplomacy roll.

oyzar
2013-01-15, 12:20 PM
Post order now would probably be something like:
Maggie
Linguz
18th Avenger
aturtledoesbite
oyzar

With maybe aturtledoesbite a bit earlier seeing as she is not really with the rest of us right now...

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 12:27 PM
Honestly, I'd say that in RP situations, order doesn't really matter so much. Just as long as we all post equally.

Linguz
2013-01-15, 12:30 PM
Linguz, is War trying to intimidate Owen or the NPC? If it's Owen he's after, I'll let 18th Avenger sort it out.

The NPC. Intimidating guards is illegal, probably.

oyzar
2013-01-15, 03:54 PM
Whoever needs a quest giver when you got a HELPFUL halfling? Playing good characters can be wierd at times.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 04:06 PM
Just to make it clear, in this situation, I probably won't post unless something major happens outside or the group heads in.

oyzar
2013-01-15, 06:53 PM
I just want to say I think this game and group have beeen awesome so far and we haven't even gotten to the first quest yet...

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-15, 11:44 PM
Hey, would Elena know of the well quarantine? Presumably she would've seen a sign on her way to Roots and Remedies, or Laurel would've mentioned it, as well as its reason.

EDIT: To mention, if she doesn't, Owen should probably enlighten our barbarian as to where the plague's coming from, or at least where it's believed to come from. And even if she does, Owen may say it anyway. Up to you, Avenger.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 12:22 AM
Let's assume she read a notice about the quarantine on the town's posting pole.

18th Avenger
2013-01-16, 12:39 AM
Now I'm gonna wait for Oyzar's post. Later, all. :smallsmile:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 12:57 AM
I like how War assumes that Alica is hiring him. But I'll let you guys sort that you yourselves. :smallcool:

Linguz
2013-01-16, 06:43 AM
Yes, yes he did.

@Oyzar: By RAW, you can't take ten on nature checks without one of the bard abilities. At least, if I remember correctly.

oyzar
2013-01-16, 07:27 AM
Oups you are correct, the bard abilities only allow for untrained knowledge checks not for taking ten

Roll:
[roll0]Knowledge Nature

18th Avenger
2013-01-16, 08:35 AM
Rolling Diplomacy

[roll0]

EDIT: A fairly okay roll, if I do say so myself. :smallsmile:

Linguz
2013-01-16, 08:41 AM
Oups you are correct, the bard abilities only allow for untrained knowledge checks not for taking ten

Roll:
[roll0]Knowledge Nature

I meant this:


Lore Master (Ex)

At 5th level, the bard becomes a master of lore and can take 10 on any Knowledge skill check that he has ranks in. A bard can choose not to take 10 and can instead roll normally. In addition, once per day, the bard can take 20 on any Knowledge skill check as a standard action. He can use this ability one additional time per day for every six levels he possesses beyond 5th, to a maximum of three times per day at 17th level.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-16, 11:13 AM
Well...that roll could have been better. Hmm.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 11:14 AM
The forum dicebot is treacherous.

18th Avenger
2013-01-16, 11:25 AM
Don't I know it. In my Threats to the Nentir Vale game, we were getting held up by a door.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 11:34 AM
Something similar happened in my Carrion Crown game, except that this was at someone's house, not PbP. Imagine 2nd level characters rolling STR checks against a poltergeist haunted door with for fifteen minutes in real life. No take 10s/20s allowed, no damaging the doors (on account of the wood being too thick?!) with weapons, no fire or acid allowed, etc.

Needless to say, nobody was very happy by the end of it. Especially since the GM made the poltergeist open the door once we decided that our characters gave up in frustration. Even more so, since shortly after the doors, we encountered an animated strait jacket that nearly did a TPK. The game sessions sputtered out after that since nobody wanted to play anymore. :smalltongue:

18th Avenger
2013-01-16, 11:54 AM
Something similar happened in my Carrion Crown game, except that this was at someone's house, not PbP. Imagine 2nd level characters rolling STR checks against a poltergeist haunted door with for fifteen minutes in real life. No take 10s/20s allowed, no damaging the doors (on account of the wood being too thick?!) with weapons, no fire or acid allowed, etc.

Needless to say, nobody was very happy by the end of it. Especially since the GM made the poltergeist open the door once we decided that our characters gave up in frustration. Even more so, since shortly after the doors, we encountered an animated strait jacket that nearly did a TPK. The game sessions sputtered out after that since nobody wanted to play anymore. :smalltongue:
Is that the same game with the cleric of Cayden Cailean with the tankard club?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 11:56 AM
Nope. Was playing a tiny TWF kukri fighter in that one. I loved her so much that I restatted her and got her into my current Crimson Throne game. :smallsmile:

Linguz
2013-01-16, 11:58 AM
Kurkis are awesome. They crit a lot. And if you have a certain feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/butterfly-s-sting-critical), you can give your crits to, let's say, a scythe fighter with x4 crit rating.

oyzar
2013-01-16, 12:04 PM
Well...that roll could have been better. Hmm.

9 is a pretty average roll. Not sure if we are supposed to have to roll godly diplomacy rolls to get anywhere :smallfrown:. Why would anyone not want help, but I guess we'll manage somehow.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 12:20 PM
Well, nobody specified how they intended to "help with the plague somehow", plus Laurel's distracted and not exactly in the best of tempers right now.

Linguz
2013-01-16, 12:27 PM
I say we break open the window and kill Laurel. I swear she's the cause of the infection. That's how she knew about it.

18th Avenger
2013-01-16, 12:46 PM
@Maggie: Where is Brookman's on the map?

oyzar
2013-01-16, 01:14 PM
I edited my post in the IC thread. Hope it is ok.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-16, 02:27 PM
When you answer Avenger's question, could you say how far away the well is from the shop, in feet?

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-16, 03:20 PM
Also, I'm doing a Spellcraft check to see if Elena recognizes Alica's spell. It may affect my post.

Spellcraft: [roll0]

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 05:43 PM
@ 18th Avenger: It's not on the map. But I'd say it's eastward of town, about ten minutes walk?

@ aturtledoesbite: Um. How many feet is ten minutes walk? :smalleek:

oyzar
2013-01-16, 05:59 PM
Uh, aren't summoned creatures supposed to register under detect magic?

Outsiders and elementals are not magical in themselves, but if they are summoned, the conjuration spell registers.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/spells/detectMagic.html

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-16, 06:08 PM
Based on the average walking speed of 30 ft./round, approximately 1800 feet. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait, no. Did my math wrong. It's 3000 feet.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-16, 06:16 PM
D'oh! Fixing it now. Sorry, don't play much with summoners.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-16, 11:12 PM
Just to mention, I probably won't be able to update as quickly tomorrow as usual since I'll be away from my computer and typing on a 3DS is tiring for my hand. :P

EDIT: Related to this, I won't be in the IRC much tomorrow.

oyzar
2013-01-17, 12:58 AM
I will be going on a cabin trip this weekend. I will still be able to post from time to time, however not as much as if I was not going.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-17, 01:18 AM
No problem, people. Remember, daily posting is not mandatory on weekends. Have fun on that cabin trip, oyzar.

Linguz
2013-01-17, 07:53 AM
Heh. War moves twice as fast as she does. If she hustles and he walks, they go at the same speed. Which is I guess what's currently happening.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-17, 11:12 AM
Just to mention, I probably won't be able to update as quickly tomorrow as usual since I'll be away from my computer and typing on a 3DS is tiring for my hand. :P

EDIT: Related to this, I won't be in the IRC much tomorrow.

Welp, schedule changed. Business as usual today for me.

oyzar
2013-01-17, 02:28 PM
@Maggie: can you post more of the events inside/outside the shop so those who are there got something to act on. Would also be nice to get more detail on what we encounter as we move around town.

I am on my way home after a long day at work. Will post when i get home.

18th Avenger
2013-01-18, 12:04 AM
Sorry I wasn't on earlier. Wanted to get a good night's sleep for a change.

And I agree with Oyzar. That way me and Turtles got something more to act on.

EDIT: Right, thanks, Maggie. :smallsmile:

Do you need an idea of what Amos looks like?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-18, 12:37 PM
Before I post my reply on the IC post...

@ 18th Avenger: Sure, that would be helpful, if you already have an idea in mind of what Owen looks like.


@ oyzar: I can answer your Knowledge check on Iomedae. But given that War's character sheet is rather hazy on his culture and origin, I'm not quite sure what to answer for your other two checks. Linguz also hasn't said much about War's appearance, which makes me hesitant to say that he has any distinguishing markings or accents that give away his identity.

So what I'm going to do is to ask Linguz (HELLO LINGUZ!) to do us a favour... :smallcool:


@ Linguz: Could you please describe War's appearance and whether it is reflective in any way of where he comes from, what tribe he is from, and perhaps some local customs? Depending on your answer, I will adjust the DC of the Knowledge checks accordingly.

In the event that War is for some reason disguising himself to conceal his origin, I'll need you to roll a Bluff check, that Alica's Knowledge check will need to defeat. Thanks!

oyzar
2013-01-18, 12:54 PM
Linguz said earlier that the picture on his charsheet(open in a new window) is exactly like his character. If it is too difficult you can just not allow knowledge checks about other players.

Linguz
2013-01-18, 12:54 PM
@ Linguz: Could you please describe War's appearance and whether it is reflective in any way of where he comes from, what tribe he is from, and perhaps some local customs? Depending on your answer, I will adjust the DC of the Knowledge checks accordingly.

In the event that War is for some reason disguising himself to conceal his origin, I'll need you to roll a Bluff check, that Alica's Knowledge check will need to defeat. Thanks!

I'm not much for description, but I'll try making it more than enough. I guess I'll also have to name the town and whatnot.

Appearance: War pretty much doesn't ever take off his armor or clothing, save for the rare bath. He wears his signature red hood/cloak everywhere, which as it trails off his back separates into 3 different pieces. It also wraps around his upper body. Not everyone of his clan did this, but some (including him) took to this to emulate the founder of their tribe. He has white hair that hangs down either side of his face to the end of his upper body, and white eyes that nearly match the white of his scleras. He wears studded leather which is from his tribe, down to having a symbol for them, but that is blocked by the cloak (symbol is on the upper body). He has tanned skin.

Local customs: Kids are trained to fight from a very young age, male and female. The only ones who don't get as much training are those that are intending to become skalds, but they can still hold their own most of the time. When the kid turns sixteen, they go on their first hunt alone. They leave with their weapon and armor and don't return until ten days pass. If they die out there, they weren't going to survive the lifestyle in the tribe. If they return, they are given a weapon to keep.

He is not trying to conceal his origins.

Edit: And if you want, you can add more things to his culture and the like. As long as it matches the setting and it makes sense, I've got no problems with it.


Linguz said earlier that the picture on his charsheet(open in a new window) is exactly like his character.

But I guess it's kinda hard to see anything there, huh?


(HELLO LINGUZ!)

HELLO!

18th Avenger
2013-01-18, 01:00 PM
Well, Owen's already got a picture in the sheet, as well as a description.

Dernien Amos was a boy when he and his father moved in from the bigger cities. Why they ended up in Falcon's Hollow is a mystery some of the older folk discuss when there's little else to talk about. He and Owen were part of a gang of young 'degenerates' who amused themselves while all the drama with the consortium was going on and subsequently grew up fast when things got too serious. Both signed up with the watch because it served to their natural talents; Owen's natural eye for marksmanship and Amos' fancy double sword play (favors two short swords). Amos also happens to be the hard cop to Owen's soft touch with the people. You can't take the city out of the boy, after all.

Owen and Amos aren't really competitive. They both love to place bets on everything, though. Usually the twins (another story, I'm thinking a quiet boy and a thrill-seeking girl who are amazing with spear and longbow work) doing something stupid.

He's blue-eyed, fair-skinned and whippet-lean compared to Owen's green eyes, tan and average build, with shiny black hair and pearly white teeth he keeps superbly maintained (unlike Owen whose teeth are alright if not broken from not being too good in fist fights). Amos fancies himself a ladies man but sometimes comes off as a creep, but his heart's in the right place and every lady and child usually get some sort of token from him during feast days.

EDIT: His dad's a foreman at the mill. Father and son are very close. Daeron Amos, dad's name, had that cough for quite sometime. It's from working in mills with the saw dust and everything, but Dernien keeps telling him to take it easy.

For a city boy, he's also very good with animals. And that's what I got for him. :smallbiggrin: Now to post.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-18, 01:33 PM
And... posted. Thanks, Linguz!

18th Avenger, I'm going to reply to your post tomorrow because it's 2.30am my side and I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow. If I don't manage to post in the morning, I'll definitely do it when I get home at night. Sorry for the delay!

18th Avenger
2013-01-18, 01:36 PM
And... posted. Thanks, Linguz!

18th Avenger, I'm going to reply to your post tomorrow because it's 2.30am my side and I've got a long day ahead of me tomorrow. If I don't manage to post in the morning, I'll definitely do it when I get home at night. Sorry for the delay!
Perfectly alright, my Story Teller. We all have those sorts of days, I can wait. :smallwink:

Heck, I sort of feel guilty about that blob of text when all I wanted to type was "Owen looked up and greeted on of his older friends in the village." And even then I don't think the post was all that good. Too many loose ends.

Incidentally, was that enough info? Or a bit much?

Linguz
2013-01-18, 01:37 PM
Good night, Maggie. Good luck on whatever you've got for tomorrow. I don't think War's gonna be replying to the cleric, just so you know.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-18, 01:41 PM
@ 18th Avenger: It's all good. The more information I have, the easier it is for me to give you people an adventure with rounded NPCs that doesn't feel like I'm forcing you to a specific plot line. Plus, if you're having fun, I'm usually cool with that. :smallcool:

@ Linguz: It's just a really packed day. Too many things happening at once! And War not saying anything counts as a response too.

Don't forget that you all have earned 150XP, everybody. I take no responsibility for XP that you don't keep track of!

Linguz
2013-01-18, 01:43 PM
Then that's his response. But I won't be posting 'War did nothing'.

Having a packed day on a saturday, bummer. I like having saturdays (and fridays and sundays) to relax.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-18, 01:55 PM
@ Linguz: Noted. :smallwink:

One of my real life games had a GM who liked real-time conversation role-play. He'd force us to confirm that we were saying nothing if we had nothing to say, which was vaguely annoying, since I suspect he had all these epic conversations planned in his head before any session started.

"What does your character say?"
"Nothing."
"At all? No facial expressions, no nothing?"
"Nope."
"Are you sure?"
"Um... dot, dot, dot? I don't know! Dude, he's supposed to be shy!"

Then again, this was nowhere as annoying as him role-playing NPCs.

"So the storekeeper gets tired of all you whispering in his store. He says: If nobody is buying anything, please leave. I have important business to attend to. Please buy something next time you are here."
"WHAT? We're discussing what to do as players!"
"But you are taking up precious time!"

"Since none of you can decide what to do, the sheriff decides to climb up the vines. Everyone, roll for perception."
"... But I didn't get a chance to roll for it before he climbed the vines!"
"Too late. You spent too much time whispering."
"..."

Linguz
2013-01-18, 02:07 PM
That DM sounds annoying. That is all. Was planning on saying more, decided against it. On the topic of real life games... I've never had one. :smallfrown:

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-18, 02:23 PM
I don't think I'd be playing much with that GM. I'm not much for thinking quickly, much less thinking from a personality not my own.

Also, what Linguz said. All of it.

oyzar
2013-01-18, 02:38 PM
That was probably the wrong thing to say :smallfrown:.

Linguz
2013-01-18, 02:42 PM
Apparently so.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-18, 11:21 PM
That was probably the wrong thing to say :smallfrown:.

This, except now in Laurel's case. :P

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-18, 11:30 PM
Alas, Laurel's tact is not one of her strong points.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 12:58 AM
Ooh, sports training cancelled due to heavy thunderstorms. Let's see if I can do anything about the drama in Roots and Remedies.

Linguz
2013-01-19, 01:05 AM
I might just have to stay awake then. To do stuff. Hope your power doesn't go out.

Also: nevermind. He's gonna try his word magic.

oyzar
2013-01-19, 06:56 AM
I am gonna wait with doing anything until the cleric responds.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 11:10 AM
Sorry, Linguz. Lady Cirthana has a very high WIS modifier. :smalltongue:

Linguz
2013-01-19, 11:38 AM
She's a cleric. I hope she does. :smalltongue:

But this did do what I wanted. To spark some life back into her.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-19, 11:46 AM
So wait. She all but admitted she was a rookie when she said they sent her there as sort of training, but yet she's apparently got a WIS of 26 or something or she has a bunch of hit dice. Neither of those seem likely, if you ask me. :P

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 12:11 PM
Eek, I believe you've caught me out with a crucial typo there. That line earlier on was meant to read "Easy posting for even a novice". Because that changes things regarding Lady Cirthana (whom I took the liberty of tweaking because the GM guide was rather scanty and made her extremely boring)... My bad. I apologise. I shall go back and amend that line.

I'd explain more, but I'm not going to spoil the encounter for oyzar and linguz. You'll just have to take my word for it that Lady Cirthana is fairly high level and that yes, for some reason, her Remove Disease spells aren't working. :smalleek:

Linguz
2013-01-19, 12:19 PM
I wonder if it's not a disease... :smalltongue:
Or if she failed her caster level check/it's too high for her.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 12:21 PM
I wonder if it's not a disease... :smalltongue:


:smallbiggrin: Linguz wins an internet cookie.

Linguz
2013-01-19, 12:23 PM
Yay! Cookie!
/me nibbles on the cookie.

I'll wait for Oyzar to post. This time for realz.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 01:30 PM
By the way, aturtledoesbite, if Elena's home lies in the direction War and Alica went, feel free to have yourself run into them. If not, I'll have you head directly back home when I next post.

18th Avenger, now that Amos is here, if Owen wishes to leave his post and pop home for lunch or to follow Elena or find out what those two weird outsiders are getting up to, go right ahead.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-19, 01:46 PM
I was gonna leave the specifics of location up to you. Though, I was considering possibly the blue-colored house in the corner of this (http://puu.sh/1PJUu) cutout. In which case, I wouldn't run by the church, so I wouldn't see them.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-19, 01:50 PM
Well, then I'll leave that up to you to decide. :smallsmile: If you haven't posted anything else by the time 18th Avenger gets round to it, Elena goes home!

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-19, 02:04 PM
Then yeah, assume that blue house is Elena's.

oyzar
2013-01-20, 09:59 AM
On the bus on the way home from the cabin trip now, though with 9 hours sleep and 12 hours skiing over the weekend I am a bit tired. Will see if I manage to post sometime today though.

I am a bit confused about one thing though. What would blackscour infection count as in game terms? Disease or something else. If it counts, it would most likely be possible to cure with cleric spells and hence the information we know in the game makes it less likely that this is the cause of the wasting. If it does not however it is more likely that this is the cause. The information I have that there is no known cure suggests that it is not a disease.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-20, 11:26 AM
Well, in medical terms, it's not *technically* a disease, I don't think. You just have a fungus growing in you. Coughing is a natural countermeasure to get unwanted things out, and the fungus just so happens to be sharp-edged. No bacteria, virus, or other pathogen to call it a "disease".

Disclaimer: I could be wrong and there's another reason.

18th Avenger
2013-01-20, 06:47 PM
Posted. Owen might just look for the strangers on their way to the well. :smalltongue:

Sorry 'bout the late reply.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 08:25 AM
Hello everyone! Hope we all had good weekends. :smallsmile:

@ 18th Avenger and aturtledoesbite: I've left out Elena from this post so that Owen can choose to follow her instead if he likes.

PS. Skiing is fantastic.

Linguz
2013-01-21, 08:28 AM
Hello Mag!

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 09:22 AM
It wasn't too bad. But this weekend has me in a King of Tokyo tournament. Last monster in the city gets a free copy of the board game. :smallbiggrin:

Also, Owen's on the trail of the foreigners. Seems the more logical choice and I think he's know that her parents have taken ill as well.

Now, on an unrelated note, could the Farrier family have a small arsenal in their 'vault'? Nothing too fancy; just a pair of light crossbows with a quiver apiece, a spear, a couple of light maces and maybe a short sword to round out the collection. As a member of the watch and with mayhap some ill-mannered sellswords about, it seems like an okay precaution to take.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 09:26 AM
Hmm. That's a lot of weapons to find in the personal collection of a family from a poor lumber town. :smallwink:

Do you have a good reason as to why the Farriers would have so many weapons at hand? If not, I might suggest that the Watch-station contains a decent arsenal under Baleson's lock-and-key that Owen's welcome to borrow from.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 09:39 AM
Hmm. That's a lot of weapons to find in the personal collection of a family from a poor lumber town. :smallwink:

Do you have a good reason as to why the Farriers would have so many weapons at hand? If not, I might suggest that the Watch-station contains a decent arsenal under Baleson's lock-and-key that Owen's welcome to borrow from.
The weapons can be of decent to army-surplus quality. And since the trouble started between brewing between the Consortium and the lumberjacks (and how much of a looker Magritte still is), Owen and his father agreed that it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep some weapons lying around with which to defend the home. The stash could also be one of the few Baleson hid with his most trustworthy constables, Owen being one of them.

Given that he's the one who uses weapons on a regular basis, it fell to Owen to teach his family how to use them properly, in the eventuality that things do turn ugly. I'm also willing to pay for the weapons and ammo from the money left over from character creation. :smallbiggrin:

oyzar
2013-01-21, 10:26 AM
The weapons can be of decent to army-surplus quality. And since the trouble started between brewing between the Consortium and the lumberjacks (and how much of a looker Magritte still is), Owen and his father agreed that it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep some weapons lying around with which to defend the home. The stash could also be one of the few Baleson hid with his most trustworthy constables, Owen being one of them.

Given that he's the one who uses weapons on a regular basis, it fell to Owen to teach his family how to use them properly, in the eventuality that things do turn ugly. I'm also willing to pay for the weapons and ammo from the money left over from character creation. :smallbiggrin:

Invest in clubs and slings if you have to pay ;).

Linguz
2013-01-21, 10:27 AM
Don't forget quarterstaffs!

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 10:34 AM
Invest in clubs and slings if you have to pay ;).
Maybe a club and a mace rather than two maces. And a sling and some stones wouldn't be too bad.

Don't forget quarterstaffs!
The people living in the Farrier house are one watchman, a house-wife with some knowledge of medicine, a businessman and his coin-counter. One quarterstaff wouldn't hurt. Maybe that's the standard issue weapon for the watch before they get their specialist equipment. :smallsmile:

Linguz
2013-01-21, 10:35 AM
"I start my game with a thousand quarter staffs!"

:smallbiggrin:

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 10:43 AM
"I start my game with a thousand quarter staffs!"

:smallbiggrin:
I'm sensing railgun-style hijinks... :elan:

Linguz
2013-01-21, 10:44 AM
I'll use them as throwing weapons. As spears. Eventually, I'll crit succeed.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 10:49 AM
"I start my game with a thousand quarter staffs!"

:smallbiggrin:

Now you're reminding me of the time I read about someone's crazy idea of saving on CLW wands by investing in a vampiric sap and using it to beat the summoner's eidolon. Non-lethal damage with a sap means that the eidolon wouldn't die. And since in theory it wouldn't run away and would regain health, you'd have a virtually unlimited source of hit points to leech off... :smallconfused:

(FYI, no, we will not use this method on Cerberus. Ever.)


@ 18th Avenger: Realistically, given the income level of the place, one could expect Owen and the other watch-men in Falcon's Hollow to be carrying a short sword/ quarterstaff/ club. Other common weapons would be shortbows/ longbows/ axes. While the general store might have a few weapons for sale, crossbows and maces probably wouldn't be up for grabs. Baleson, at any rate, wouldn't be allowing one of his constables to bring home weapons for storage - that'd be like asking for trouble from Thuldrin Kreed.

I'll allow Owen to have at home any weapons that can be paid for out of the remaining 50gp he has - lets say he saved up for them just in case, to store at home. I don't think they'd all be army issue though, since Falcon's Hollow is quite the backwater. It's either decent quality and made by the local smith, or traded for with a passing merchant caravan.

By the way, Kreed runs the Lumber Consortium, i.e. he employs all the lumberjacks who work in the Darkmoon Vale region. Not sure what you mean by Consortium vs lumberjacks...? His background said that Owen's dad and brother run the 'coster', which google defines as some sort of fruit and vegetable hawker. Now I'm confused!

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 11:03 AM
Now you're reminding me of the time I read about someone's crazy idea of saving on CLW wands by investing in a vampiric sap and using it to beat the summoner's eidolon. Non-lethal damage with a sap means that the eidolon wouldn't die. And since in theory it wouldn't run away and would regain health, you'd have a virtually unlimited source of hit points to leech off... :smallconfused:

(FYI, no, we will not use this method on Cerberus. Ever.)


@ 18th Avenger: Realistically, given the income level of the place, one could expect Owen and the other watch-men in Falcon's Hollow to be carrying a short sword/ quarterstaff/ club. Other common weapons would be shortbows/ longbows/ axes. While the general store might have a few weapons for sale, crossbows and maces probably wouldn't be up for grabs. Baleson, at any rate, wouldn't be allowing one of his constables to bring home weapons for storage - that'd be like asking for trouble from Thuldrin Kreed.

I'll allow Owen to have at home any weapons that can be paid for out of the remaining 50gp he has - lets say he saved up for them just in case, to store at home. I don't think they'd all be army issue though, since Falcon's Hollow is quite the backwater. It's either decent quality and made by the local smith, or traded for with a passing merchant caravan.

By the way, Kreed runs the Lumber Consortium, i.e. he employs all the lumberjacks who work in the Darkmoon Vale region. Not sure what you mean by Consortium vs lumberjacks...? His background said that Owen's dad and brother run the 'coster', which google defines as some sort of fruit and vegetable hawker. Now I'm confused!
Here we go.

Okay, I agree to those terms. :smallsmile:

Owen just happened to be one of the better shots with the crossbow, that's why he has it. The mace and bracer he carries were something his father paid for during the few times a caravan swung by.

Maybe instead of crossbows, just a hunting bow and a pair of slings with all the ammo. Given that Magritte accompanied adventurers before she settled down, she'd have the best constitution out of them and the knowledge to use the bow. For close-in work; a spear, a quarter staff, a pair of clubs and maybe a mace to round out everything.

And with a bit of reading, there was a time when the people of Falcon's Hollow didn't want to put up with Gavel Kreed and his hired blades, so they took up arms and fought him. It ain't a stretch to see how things turned out. Here's my source (http://falcon-hollows-last-hope.wikispaces.com/Braeggan+Rhodam). Careful, it's not all that clear...

As for the definition of 'coster', I must admit I grabbed the word from Shadowbreed, by Paul S. Kemp. The context made it seem like the name of a business that shipped stuff from Falcon's Hollow to everywhere. So they ship lumber and take care of the wagon crew. Owen's dad built it up and he's the driving force, his brother counts the profits and deals in expenditures. Typical business partnership.

Did that clear things up? :smallbiggrin:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 11:14 AM
Hm. Now that wiki entry has got lots of stuff that the GM guide for this adventure and Crown of the Kobald King didn't even mention. Is that official information, or is that someone's campaign wiki? Seems pretty well rounded out if it's the later.

Either way, any weapons that Owen can buy with his 50gp are fine. Just how is he going to carry all of them, and are you sure you don't want to use the money for anything else? :smallbiggrin:

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 11:20 AM
Either way, any weapons that Owen can buy with his 50gp are fine. Just how is he going to carry all of them, and are you sure you don't want to use the money for anything else? :smallbiggrin:
Not sure. Just found the wiki by while looking up names.

Anyway, Owen's not really gonna carry all those weapons. He's got all that he needs. The weapons mentioned are going to be left in that room that his mom had designated the house 'armory'. He gave his issued quarterstaff back to Baleson. :smallsmile:

EDIT: And purchases made. I have 13 gp, 3 sp and 4 cp left.

Regarding any other purchases I'd want to make... I'm good. We'll be adventurers, if the pace continues. We'll probably run into loot once we get underway. :smallbiggrin:

oyzar
2013-01-21, 11:32 AM
That looks like a campaign wiki. We should probably avoid it to avoid spoilers.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 11:35 AM
And if we do, just avoid meta-knowledge. :smalltongue:

oyzar
2013-01-21, 11:37 AM
As for wasting money, well there is the fact that one of our party is without any useful weapons at the moment due to lack of money... Not to metagame or anything but we might get use for that.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 11:44 AM
Hm. If that's a campaign wiki, then it's up to you cats to read it or not. But if you do, just keep in mind that anything you read about in there is likely to have been modded for that particular campaign. Which means that for the purposes of the current adventure, none of the histories or characters in there are canon or applicable to this one. i.e. rebellion against Thuldrin Kreed did not happen, as per the example 18th Avenger cited.

Keeping track of my own campaign is hard enough, I don't think I need to complicate my life further by making it adhere to another GM's vision of what Falcon's Hollow was like. :smallwink:

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 11:46 AM
As for wasting money, well there is the fact that one of our party is without any useful weapons at the moment due to lack of money... Not to metagame or anything but we might get use for that.
Baleson might be willing to lend us a light crossbow. Also, the Farriers would be more than happy to lend Elena a weapon. :smallsmile:

Actually, Maggie, that's what I'd like to talk about...

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 11:49 AM
You lot are lucky to have two Falcon's Hollow locals in this adventure. Imagine if all you had to go with for weapon sales was the pitiful selection in the general store... :smallamused:

Welp, you've bought the weapons, so it's up to Owen to loan them out to War if he so pleases. If War chooses to not return them or to clobber Owen over the head with his own family mace, then that should be interesting too.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 11:50 AM
Oh right. Well, if 18th Avenger wishes to kindly equip the entire party out of his own purse... I see no problem there. Just make sure your characters work it out among themselves.

Linguz
2013-01-21, 11:51 AM
Can I tape multiple maces together and make a greatmace?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 12:03 PM
Can I tape multiple maces together and make a greatmace?

Only if:

You can acquire some tape in-game.
You can find/ afford multiple maces.
The said 'greatmace' can only be wielded with both hands to account for its weight. No shield/spikes and greatmace combination allowed.
I'll assume that you can only tape together as many maces as can be comfortably held. So I'll say use the same stats as for a greatsword, but change the damage to bludgeoning.

Linguz
2013-01-21, 12:11 PM
I would think you tell me to use the stats for the greatclub.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 12:14 PM
Ah, but multiple maces would mean more edges to bash things with. I think that warrants a 2d6 with a higher critical rather than a 1d10. If not, you might as well buy a greatclub. It's cheaper than the mace, after all!

Linguz
2013-01-21, 12:14 PM
I like how you think.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 12:21 PM
Okay, so how far would each character be from Brookman's well?

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-21, 12:28 PM
I assume I wait for your next post before I post again?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 12:34 PM
I'm busy working on an essay now, so I'll only get to the post by tomorrow. But given that War's running and Owen's jogging, I'd say War will arrive at the well in the next post, while Owen will still be at least three quarters of the distance away.

@ aturtledoesbite: If you wish to post something before I do, go ahead. You can assume that Elena's parents are pretty much the same as when she last saw them - i.e. in bed, coughing away, and somewhat awake. Or if you wish to bring the party together by having her run after Owen for some reason, that's fine too.

Linguz
2013-01-21, 12:49 PM
We talked about it amongst ourselves, and we decided that you are most certainly a guy.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 12:55 PM
We talked about it amongst ourselves, and we decided that you are most certainly a guy.

Interesting.

Linguz
2013-01-21, 12:58 PM
Well, that's not the reaction I had expected.

Just so we're clear in case you're the opposite sex: I was joking. So no offense meant.

oyzar
2013-01-21, 12:58 PM
Interesting.

More like we voted what we thought was more likely...


Maggie is a female name, but i think male, though the picture influences me for no good reason whatsoever.

As for my reply.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 01:11 PM
I'm just amused, that's all. The avatar is Forgath from the Goblins webcomic, if that helps. :smallamused:

The name's basically a relic from my Diablo 2 gaming days. The assassin character was so much fun that I decided that one day, I would write a comedic story about an Irish nun-turned-assassin who went by the handle of Magdelena McKnife and who used only pretty shiny knives for her trade. Alas, the story never materialised. I might create a knife master rogue with early levels in cleric some day though, if I can find the time.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 10:35 PM
Before I post, do I know whose house it was the lumbermen had gathered around?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 10:37 PM
Say that the name of the house's owner escapes you for the moment.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 10:40 PM
Say that the name of the house's owner escapes you for the moment.
But if I told the sheriff, I'd remember which one it was, right?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 10:44 PM
But if I told the sheriff, I'd remember which one it was, right?

Not sure what you mean, since Owen hasn't spoken to Baleson since their meeting in the morning. But if you describe the house to him when you find him at the well, he would know whose it is.

Alica's talking to Baleson right now. :smallcool:

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 10:50 PM
Not sure what you mean, since Owen hasn't spoken to Baleson since their meeting in the morning. But if you describe the house to him when you find him at the well, he would know whose it is.

Alica's talking to Baleson right now. :smallcool:
Whoops. I meant that if I spoke to Baleson, I'd remember which house it was the lumbermen were gathered about, right?

And could I get a description of the house, just in case?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-21, 10:55 PM
Yup, you would.

House:
It's the house with a brown roof two doors down from the Goose'n'Gander, with plain lumber clinked walls. The door has been painted red, though even that paint job was quite some time ago. The windows are dusty and the vegetable patch in the garden is quite dead.

18th Avenger
2013-01-21, 11:08 PM
Yup, you would.

House:
It's the house with a brown roof two doors down from the Goose'n'Gander, with plain lumber clinked walls. The door has been painted red, though even that paint job was quite some time ago. The windows are dusty and the vegetable patch in the garden is quite dead.
Thanks, Maggie. :smallsmile:

Making my post now. It won't be much. It's just Owen taking note of the structure and then running pellmell for the well. He should get there in the post, but it'll end with him shouting for the sheriff.

oyzar
2013-01-22, 07:47 AM
Considering War runs way faster than Owen and we had quite a large headstart it is nowhere near realistic that he arrives at the scene mere seconds after us. Though it is more practical that we are able to post in paralell.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-22, 07:54 AM
I admit that I was trying to account for the fact that War and Alica got delayed trying to shake some answers out of Lady "boohoo my life sucks" Cirthana. Considering that some scenes take more time to play out and some less though, it might be easier to just assume that the different character segments in a single post might not be happening concurrently, unless otherwise stated. :smalltongue:

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-22, 08:23 AM
In a different RP I'm in, the GM's rules about concurrent time basically go "If it matters in any way, everyone's in the same time. Otherwise, who cares?" :P

Also, I hope Cirthana doesn't start going emo and cutting her wrists. That would suck.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-22, 10:00 PM
Normally I'd move the post for the crew at Brookman's forward as well, but Alica's addressed Owen, and War has said nothing at all so far. Does anyone want to respond, or shall I do so regardless?

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-22, 11:31 PM
Move it forward!

oyzar
2013-01-23, 01:43 AM
Uh, I did adress Owen, but only after he arrived. It makes more sense that the first part was before he arrived(if not I would wait until the sheriff turned back to me to talk to him.)

As for war, I imagine he did not post because he did not want to jump in, in the middle of me talking. He could have posted actions, but seeing as he did not he probably had none. He did post elsewhere on this forum several times already...

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-23, 01:50 AM
Righto, then. Post will be up when I get back from work in about 5hrs.

Linguz
2013-01-23, 06:15 AM
You are correct, Oyzar. War has no significant actions so I won't be posting.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-23, 08:33 AM
Post will be up in a few minutes! Sorry, work's been hectic the past couple of days.

@ aturtledoesbite: No response from Elena?

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-23, 02:13 PM
Oh, I'm a derp. Thought I replied to that. Sorry.

EDIT: Hilariously, I think my posts are on the shorter end compared to some of the others, even though I remember warning mine would be long. This is harder than I thought it'd be. :P

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 12:17 AM
Why do I have the feeling that Owen might catch the taint?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 04:09 AM
Why do I have the feeling that Owen might catch the taint?

Heehee. I will keep both you and aturtledoesbite appraised as events develop. It's all dice rolling though, not my evil whims, if that helps. :smallbiggrin:

Better hope you don't catch it though. CON damage is no fun.

oyzar
2013-01-24, 06:26 AM
Post will be up in a few minutes! Sorry, work's been hectic the past couple of days.

@ aturtledoesbite: No response from Elena?

Still busy eh? Sorry that I am impatient, but this is getting quite interesting imo.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 06:55 AM
Woke up at 6am today, and it's 8pm now as I begin to head home. :( I do have my phone with me, but I rather not type on a small screen in a moving bus. Will post in 2hrs!

Linguz
2013-01-24, 08:18 AM
One hour left!

oyzar
2013-01-24, 08:44 AM
One hour left!

Seems like it is just not me that is excitedly waiting for the continuation.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 09:05 AM
Seems like it is just not me that is excitedly waiting for the continuation.

I am always excited about a fun game continuing.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 09:06 AM
Seems like it is just not me that is excitedly waiting for the continuation.

Posted. No pressure, eh? :smallcool:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 11:57 AM
@ aturtledoesbite: You'll need to decide whether Elena's family was boiling their water or not even before her parents fell sick!

Linguz
2013-01-24, 12:21 PM
Wonder if the ale would be safe to drink around these parts.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 12:24 PM
Wonder if the ale would be safe to drink around these parts.

Well, ale and the other strong beers have to keep for a year or so to gain flavour. So I'd say the ale is perfectly safe to drink. :smallsmile: There's a reason why historically, lots of people (even children) drank beer instead of water - because the beer was less likely to get you sick.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 12:25 PM
Hence why I brought it up. War's not about to be stupid and drink a ton of water when there's a sickness going around. He'd rather get stupidly drunk.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-24, 01:44 PM
@ aturtledoesbite: You'll need to decide whether Elena's family was boiling their water or not even before her parents fell sick!

Unfortunately, no; else, how would her parents be sick? They will be now, that's for sure. Though, to be fair, blackscour would likely have a slightly difficult time growing in her partially-fiendish internal anatomy, maybe? At least possibly a higher internal temperature? I didn't take Tiefling A&P, so I could be wrong in all kinds of ways here. :P

Also, I should probably come up with a surname so Elena's parents can be called something other than by their relation to her. I suck at naming things, so this might take a short while.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 01:46 PM
Can I give two random names that I came up with on the spot when I read that?

Gary and Jane?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 02:05 PM
No problem. Just post the names here when you're ready, aturtledoesbite!

(Out of curiosity, have you actually been bitten by a turtle before?)

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-24, 02:10 PM
Can I give two random names that I came up with on the spot when I read that?

Gary and Jane?

I meant surname, as in Mr. Smith or something (except not that because who in Falcon's Hollow would have the surname of Smith? :P). I suppose I could do first names as well, though. But those names do not fit the setting at all. And we can't be having that, now can we?


(Out of curiosity, have you actually been bitten by a turtle before?)

I can't say I have, actually. My father has, though. My name partially came from the fact that my family owns a turtle farm. Though, I cannot remember the intervening links from "family owns a turtle farm" to "aturtledoesbite". :P

EDIT: Okay, to be honest, I think there's something I'm not quite understanding in my latest post.


Without him saying a word, you realise what he's thinking - you drunk from that barrel of water too. And if you're the only one in the house who hasn't fallen ill yet...

I'd be fine if it ended at the first sentence. But I don't get what that second sentence is supposed to lead into with the ellipsis. :smallconfused:

Linguz
2013-01-24, 02:18 PM
Good news everyone!

I have just seen my scholarship offer at the college I want to go to. That, coupled together with the government grant, is letting me to go college free of charge, not counting transport costs.

And same as Turtle's last point. I don't understand it.


@ aturtledoesbite: You'll need to decide whether Elena's family was boiling their water or not even before her parents fell sick!

I think with this... he's implying boiling the water doesn't remove the infectious properties. The spores might be able to survive extreme heats.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-24, 02:23 PM
Good news everyone!

I have just seen my scholarship offer at the college I want to go to. That, coupled together with the government grant, is letting me to go college free of charge, not counting transport costs.

Hooray! I've got two college choices, and either one of them would end up with them basically paying me to attend. :P

EDIT:

The spores might be able to survive extreme heats.

If I understand things at all, spores aren't exactly "alive" to be killed from boiling. It shouldn't have any sort of effect, really.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 02:33 PM
You're not gonna like this.

Before spores active, they can handle just about anything. When they're 'hibernating', so to speak, they can survive over a thousand Celsius. So if they're not activated in the water, there might not be any way to kill them. And they activate under the right conditions (like a human body).

I asked one of the teachers at my school. That's what he told me.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-24, 02:38 PM
why are you saying this in front of the gm do you want us to die whyyyyyyyyy

Linguz
2013-01-24, 02:44 PM
As long as you stop drinking the water and get drunk, you'll be fine. Plus, he's a teacher. I'm sure he knows how spores work.

And yes, I want everyone but War to die. Then he can get a new party that likes his scare tactics.

So in conclusion, lets all get really really drunk. That's safer than drinking water too.

oyzar
2013-01-24, 05:07 PM
Probably in the game, if the water is boiled it reduces the chance that you get infected, but it can still happen.

IC: Can i edit the post without removing the roll? I want to close the spoiler tag.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 05:08 PM
You can. Just don't remove [roll0] or any part of it.

oyzar
2013-01-24, 05:49 PM
I really should stop talking though... Puppy eyes > Bad rhymes :smallbiggrin:.

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 07:02 PM
Good to know. Thanks, Linguz. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I bet the sheriff would already be sending volunteers to look for another viable water supply and establish a route. So if that hasn't been done, at the very least we got ourselves a side quest.

Heck, things might even be better up river. :smallsmile:

EDIT: But I'll think of a reason... Maybe Owen's mom is keeping that one barrel of water in reserve when things get desperate.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 10:40 PM
Congrats on the scholarship and college acceptances, people! :smallsmile:

Alrighty, there seem to be some confusion over a few issues here. I'll go through them one by one.

1) Ellipses: They are pure dramatic effect. As far as Elena's father knows, he has no reason to think she won't fall sick at some point in time, since she's drunk the same water as him. He's not finishing his thought because the idea that Elena might get sick too doesn't really bear thinking about. He's very upset.

2) Unfortunately, boiling water doesn't actually kill fungal spores, as Linguz's teacher pointed out. (I'm a little surprised that nobody went to check this up on wikipedia or something earlier, actually!) What this means is that Elena and Owen are as susceptible as the rest of the townsfolk who have been drinking from Brookman's well towards coming down with blackscour taint. As Linguz says, drinking beer might be a good idea right now. (To be honest, I was hoping that both of you would rule that your families hadn't been drinking from Brookman's. Sorry. :smallfrown:)

3) I was going to handle this mechanic later, but I may as well explain it now. What this means for both Elena and Owen is that you're both going to have to make a couple of dice rolls at the start of every day. Currently, we'll assume that both of you are feeling perfectly fine. But both of you have been exposed to the spores, which means you both are incubating the taint. So once day 2 begins, I'll need you both to make a Fortitude DC 14 save. If you fail the DC, then I tell you what to do next.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 10:52 PM
I assume I'd have to roll to know that heating the water doesn't actually kill the spores, huh? Unless you tell me it's something anyone taught about plants would get taught. Either way, here's a roll to know that.

[roll0]

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 10:58 PM
Nope, its not something people would know in general. Knowledge check passed, so War can know that boiling water won't kill 'whatever's making the mushroom grow'.

Sorry, 18th Avenger, Owen can't make that roll, since it would be redundant due to what has already been typed.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 10:59 PM
Is it common knowledge that mushrooms grow out of spores?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 11:04 PM
Not in a place like Falcon's Hollow. That's why the watchman thinks that the blackscour gills are going to release tiny mushrooms. :smallwink:

Linguz
2013-01-24, 11:05 PM
War isn't from Falcon's Hollow.

He's from the Mindspin Mountains.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 11:11 PM
Ahh, you mean common knowledge in the world, not common knowledge in the location. Well, that depends on you then - perhaps War has encountered rangers or druids or those wise in nature, and they've explained to him about spores. (Or however spores are explained in a fantasy world.)

Linguz
2013-01-24, 11:16 PM
Since he does have a point in Knowledge (Nature), he has been formally taught it, in some shape or another.

Are any spores/seeds used as natural cures (after doing things to them maybe)?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 11:19 PM
Not for blackscour.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 11:24 PM
I meant in general.

I just had a thought as to why he would know about spores: He learned that 'whatever mushrooms grow out of' doesn't die in heat. At the same time, he learned that mushrooms grow out of spores.

Accepted or no?

It feels weird typing 'whatever mushrooms grow out of' when I know they grow out of spores. So this is my try to have him know what spores are.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-24, 11:28 PM
I'm sure seeds can be used as natural cures for other illnesses and such. Spores are microscopic though, so I'd say no, they can't be. You can decide how and phrase how War comes to know all that though. No need to follow my wordings if you feel its awkward.

Linguz
2013-01-24, 11:31 PM
Alright. I just ended up using spore for simplicity's sake.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-24, 11:51 PM
DC 14 Fort? That's...welp. 35% chance. If you don't mind, I'd like to know what happens if I fail, if I'm allowed to know.

18th Avenger
2013-01-24, 11:55 PM
A'right, how long has it been since Baleson closed the well?

And I can't resist.

Test Roll of Fortitude for the next day.
[roll0]
EDIT: ... I'm keeping that result, by the way.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-25, 12:04 AM
He closed it early this morning. Somewhere in Alica's section back on page 1 when everything was spoilered, it says as such.

18th Avenger
2013-01-25, 12:09 AM
Then Owen was probably infected long before. How he's been able to keep working and fighting might as well be a sign from the gods.

I'm sensing that this could be the chance for Owen to find his religion. :smallwink:

oyzar
2013-01-25, 01:38 AM
Then Owen was probably infected long before. How he's been able to keep working and fighting might as well be a sign from the gods.

I'm sensing that this could be the chance for Owen to find his religion. :smallwink:

You guys are aware that beer and other things brewed on the same water still contains spores right? Anyway are you actually serious about multiclassing to a cleric? Your character does not seem very suited for it.

Maggie: can my knowledge check earlier extend to cover how mushrooms work or should I rollagain?

oyzar
2013-01-25, 01:40 AM
DC 14 Fort? That's...welp. 35% chance. If you don't mind, I'd like to know what happens if I fail, if I'm allowed to know.

That seems rather spoilerish, but he did mention con damage so I assume you are gonna take 1-2 con damage per failed day.

18th Avenger
2013-01-25, 02:31 AM
You guys are aware that beer and other things brewed on the same water still contains spores right? Anyway are you actually serious about multiclassing to a cleric? Your character does not seem very suited for it.
Deeply serious. After all, Cayden Cailean was a sellsword and a drunkard. :smallbiggrin:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 02:45 AM
You guys are aware that beer and other things brewed on the same water still contains spores right? Anyway are you actually serious about multiclassing to a cleric? Your character does not seem very suited for it.

Maggie: can my knowledge check earlier extend to cover how mushrooms work or should I rollagain?

I know. Just that that beer and ale and such takes close to a year to mature. Water taken from Brookman's over a year ago is perfectly safe, so nobody's going to get infected from drinking beer! (Hooray?)

Sure, you can have your knowledge check extend to cover how mushrooms work. Though given that microscopes don't exist, I'm still wondering how people know what spores are... :smallbiggrin:



DC 14 Fort? That's...welp. 35% chance. If you don't mind, I'd like to know what happens if I fail, if I'm allowed to know.

You do get some CON damage, yes.

Well, it's up to 18th Avenger to decide whether he wants to multi-class or not - I'm fine with crazy combinations as long as they make sense in-game. There are a few other options available in Falcon's Hollow if you want a healbot or a way to recover from ability point damage, by the way, though I'll do you all the favour of leaving that up to you guys to figure out on your own. :smallwink:

The way I'm going about it is that I'm going to assume that both Owen and Elena have been doing spectacularly on their Fortitude save so far since the break-out of blackscour taint. But from day 2 onwards, you both will have to start rolling.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 02:46 AM
Also, I may as well say it - I'm a she, not a he. :smallcool:

oyzar
2013-01-25, 03:14 AM
Also, I may as well say it - I'm a she, not a he. :smallcool:

I suspected as much from the earlier discussion about your female assassin character. Most people make their first character of the same gender of themselves. But as I said earlier the picture affected me to think otherwise for no good reason whatsoever. Sorry for using the wrong pronoun.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 03:19 AM
I suspected as much from the earlier discussion about your female assassin character. Most people make their first character of the same gender of themselves. But as I said earlier the picture affected me to think otherwise for no good reason whatsoever. Sorry for using the wrong pronoun.

S'cool, no worries. :smallcool:

Linguz
2013-01-25, 06:28 AM
@About no Microscopes:
There are spells that function as telescope. With the proper change of them, I could totally see someone make a spell to magnify tiny objects. So they could exist, but just through magic.

@About Gender:
Thank you for sharing. I promise the knowledge won't change how I act around you. I try not to treat people differently because of gender/race/problems.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 07:42 AM
Ooh, telescope spells. I like that thought. Would have to be a pretty powerful spell though.

Linguz
2013-01-25, 08:58 AM
The spell I was thinking of is scrying (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/scrying), but looking at it, it's not a telescope. But still, magic, in my opinion, has more spells that are in the spell list. Those are just the common ones.

A spell like this, for example, could exist:


Telescope

School transmutation; Level bard 2, cleric/oracle 4, druid 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, witch 3
--------------------------------------
CASTING
--------------------------------------
Cast Time 1 round
Components V, S, F (glass worth 10 gold)
--------------------------------------
EFFECT
--------------------------------------
Range Self
Effect Zoom in
Duration 1 min/caster level
Saving Throw None; Spell Resistance no

--------------------------------------
DESCRIPTION
--------------------------------------
You can observe a far off object or a very tiny object at an enhanced size. You can increase the size of an object in the glass to up to a hundred times.

At this point, I'm not even sure why I made a spell. I felt like it, I guess. If you enchant a piece of glass with 100x, it'd work as a magnifying glass or a really strong telescope.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 09:05 AM
Well, for as long as we're not using made-up spells in the game, all is well.

Linguz
2013-01-25, 10:32 AM
Until they get accepted by you.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-25, 11:12 AM
Alternatively, the mortals could have been granted knowledge of spores by the gods. :P

EDIT: Also, I assume you're waiting to update me so they can catch up?

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 11:14 AM
Alternatively, the mortals could have been granted knowledge of spores by the gods. :P

EDIT: Also, I assume you're waiting to update me so they can catch up?

All hail Erastil!

Yup, I am. Sorry, aturtledoesbite. You might have to wait a day or so in real time, depending on how things develop at the well.

oyzar
2013-01-25, 11:58 AM
Possible solutions: Attack the sheriff, walk away. One works for my character, the other does not. Quite surprised my 22 diplomacy had no effect though.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 12:04 PM
Possible solutions: Attack the sheriff, walk away. One works for my character, the other does not. Quite surprised my 22 diplomacy had no effect though.

The 22 Diplomacy is why the Sheriff is asking you very nicely to leave the mushroom there, and why he's open to the idea of Laurel coming to examine it there. Just not in town, because from his point of view, it's important to contain both the illness as well as the panic.

aturtledoesbite
2013-01-25, 09:10 PM
They don't see Cerberus when they walk in? Assume he's in the corner, out of the way while watching Elena.

18th Avenger
2013-01-25, 09:31 PM
Some of us will post about him, if it makes you happy, Turtles. :smallwink:

A belated congratulations, Linguz. :smallbiggrin:

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-25, 09:40 PM
They don't see Cerberus when they walk in? Assume he's in the corner, out of the way while watching Elena.

Well, the store IS rather cluttered. You know how your pet dog or cat hides in plain sight to ambush people? That.

oyzar
2013-01-26, 06:38 AM
10 minutes is a bit short for a story, but it will have to do for now. Hope you don't mind me going this far IC.

maggie_mcknife
2013-01-26, 07:49 AM
Not at all. It's a cool story. :smallcool:

Going to give aturtledoesbite a chance to respond before I post, since it's the weekend.

oyzar
2013-01-26, 07:55 AM
Our timezones sometimes makes for unfortunate waiting situations, waiting for me to wake up sometimes means that Linguz and aturtledoesbite will go to bed and not be able to post afterwards. Similarly, if you wait for me to come home from work it sometimes means Maggie and Avenger will go to bed before i post.

As for waiting for turtle, imo it makes more sense that Laurie as she is Elena's master and it is not normal that the master let the apprentice respond first. Though if Elena does not have much room to respond afterwards, it makes more sense.

18th Avenger
2013-01-26, 08:06 AM
It's a nice story, Oyzar. Though the hero's familiar... He's from Norwegian folklore, right? :smallbiggrin:

oyzar
2013-01-26, 08:15 AM
It's a nice story, Oyzar. Though the hero's familiar... He's from Norwegian folklore, right? :smallbiggrin:

I fear I am not too original, that is indeed Norwegian folklore.

EDIT: you could post what your character thinks about it IC.

18th Avenger
2013-01-26, 08:34 AM
But I'll wait for Linguz or Turtles. It's cool. It's the weekend over here.

I also got Mice and Mystics for my brother. It's supposed to be good. :smallbiggrin: