PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] 333 New Spells - PEACH

Alias
2013-01-13, 10:29 PM
So, I've finished re-evaluating my setting spells and rebalancing them for Pathfinder - at least through to a 1st draft. I need help spotting for errors or play balance problems - and with this many spells there's got to be at least one.

The spells are in a PDF document here.. (https://www.facebook.com/download/148525221966408/Pathfinder%20Spells%20-%2 0Draft.pdf)

I've also created a Facebook group page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/455577807825539/) for the setting.

I would attach the file here, but I want to keep the number of places I need to update the file (it's still in draft) to a minimum.

Wyntonian
2013-01-13, 10:52 PM
Yeah, neither of those are working for me. Could you copy them into the thread? Or is it too long?

Alias
2013-01-14, 12:19 AM
At 33 pages, it's a bit too long to place in a thread. I'll copy it over to ENWorld if there's a demand for it, but you should be able to reach the files if you have a facebook account and you're logged in.

Alias
2013-01-15, 09:24 AM
Trying to keep this on the first page for a bit. Over on the Paizo boards the following erratas / points have been met.

Aggravated Assault is considered too powerful

Addle needs some form of serious buff to be useable.

Raise Acid Rain up by a level

Alluring Scent is now +2 to diplomacy / level, max +10 and is 1st level.

Realms of Chaos
2013-01-15, 11:22 AM
Dark Ritual... Drain Life... Humble... Ivory Mask...

I take it that you play MtG, then? :smallwink:

Alias
2013-01-15, 11:28 AM
::hides cards behind himself::

No, not at all... :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, I've purged out the direct references. The names in question aren't copyrightable by themselves, and often the spell does something quite different than the card. Dark Ritual in the card game is an instant, the smallest of casting times. The spell is, well, it isn't an instant by any stretch.

At first I didn't like the idea of having to use color names. However, they've grown on me over time. Aboran magic has a certain ring to it that 'green' magic does not.

Alias
2013-01-16, 03:53 PM
Is this really that bad?

JoshuaZ
2013-01-16, 04:20 PM
Is this really that bad?

No, just very long (and thus somewhat intimidating).

Edit: Looked at a few: Time Warp needs better explanation of what it means mechanically for the same things to happen. Abandon Hope is fine as is. Will comment on others later.

Alias
2013-01-16, 04:23 PM
I can understand that. It's been a pain in the tail to work on after not touching it for all these years. I'm out of practice. Currently I'm working on the classes chapter - needing to flesh out the setting domains for clerics, philosophies for wizards and bloodlines for sorcerers. I'm trying to keep the book as a whole as short as I can. It's currently 128 pages.

JoshuaZ
2013-01-16, 11:10 PM
I can understand that. It's been a pain in the tail to work on after not touching it for all these years. I'm out of practice. Currently I'm working on the classes chapter - needing to flesh out the setting domains for clerics, philosophies for wizards and bloodlines for sorcerers. I'm trying to keep the book as a whole as short as I can. It's currently 128 pages.

You may have more success getting people to PEACH them if you break them into chunks, say 20 spells a thread.

Edit: Catalogue needs more specification. How does one estimate how many ranks in knowledge a library has of a given type? Some examples or heuristics would be nice. The issue of preparing from spellbooks also needs to be specified. For example, I presume this shouldn't apply to spellbooks that include spells from other classes, and that should be explicit. Do you use this as part of your preparation then? Do you need to make spellcraft checks to decipher the spells as you normally would for someone else's spells? How big a library can this work on?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-17, 01:12 AM
Very impressive. Give me some time to read over them and get back to you.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-22, 09:56 PM
Abandon Hope: Why "as antimagic field"? It works against extraordinary morale bonuses, right? It would make more sense to fully stat it out, change the school to Necromancy (the traditional fear school) and make fear effects in the area impossible to dispel or counter except with a spell of 4th level or higher.

Abeyance: I really like this one.

Absolute ---: Why are these higher-level than antimagic field when they're more limited? If I wrote a spell like antifire field, I'd probably peg it as a sor/wiz 4 spell.

Abundance: You should explicitly note that the replicated substance is nonmagical in order to cover up loopholes (hero's feast, for example.) Might not be a bad idea to also state that extremely valuable foods (truffles, caviar, etc) are replicated as cheap substitutes.

Addle: "Spell preparation"? Just be explicit, say it's a prepared spell. You should explicitly note that it can work on spontaneous casters. If they are able to cast a spell with the chosen descriptor, they must choose one and lose a spell slot of that spell's level or higher (alternatively, you could make them lose the ability to cast it for 24 hours along with a daily spell of that level or higher, which would actually be pretty neat). I would also explicitly note that it can't affect cantrips (or explicitly note that they lose the prepared cantrip, since they're a special case in Pathfinder).

Aether Flash: Very nice.

Aether Slide: Wording error: " At the end of their next action they return to the plane the originated from..." I would also say, "they return to the current plane", since a strict reading could interpret this as a banishment effect. Since some could interpret the wording to be single-use, I would explicitly state that the effect happens for the duration of the spell.

I'll do some more pages later.

Alias
2013-01-23, 08:36 AM
Abandon Hope: Why "as antimagic field"? It works against extraordinary morale bonuses, right? It would make more sense to fully stat it out, change the school to Necromancy (the traditional fear school) and make fear effects in the area impossible to dispel or counter except with a spell of 4th level or higher.

I'll take those ideas into consideration. The reason for "as antimagic field" was it was the most straightforward writeup.

Abeyance: I really like this one.

I'm glad of that. I usually have to defend it from an 'overpowered' argument because people keep forgetting just how strong silence is. Abeyance is a partial silence.

Absolute ---: Why are these higher-level than antimagic field when they're more limited? If I wrote a spell like antifire field, I'd probably peg it as a sor/wiz 4 spell.

It is very, very easy for a caster to make one of these very one sided. Each one of these spells accounts for roughly 1/5th of the spells in the game. Getting into specifics, Absolute Law all but shuts down a blaster caster of any stripe, Absolute Reason will cut a druid off at the knees, and Absolute Grace is very good against any undeath themed caster such as a lich. Absolute Duty lops off almost every illusion in the game and almost all the dispel effects, and finally Absolute Truth shuts down a cleric, hard, most of the time.

By choosing your spells and knowing your enemy you can use these spells to devastating effect. "limited" isn't the right word for them - "selective" is more on target because they each catch a very wide swath of spells.

Abundance: You should explicitly note that the replicated substance is nonmagical in order to cover up loopholes (hero's feast, for example.) Might not be a bad idea to also state that extremely valuable foods (truffles, caviar, etc) are replicated as cheap substitutes.

Heh heh - I haven't released the next draft but after reviewing create food and water it became clear abundance needs to go up a pair of level - it does after all feed people in the hundreds compared to create food & water's 5 / caster level.

Addle: "Spell preparation"? Just be explicit, say it's a prepared spell.

As you go through the spells you'll note that terminology is used consistently. Other spells need the wording 'spell preparation' more than addle does. The spell itself is being worked on...

You should explicitly note that it can work on spontaneous casters. If they are able to cast a spell with the chosen descriptor, they must choose one and lose a spell slot of that spell's level or higher (alternatively, you could make them lose the ability to cast it for 24 hours along with a daily spell of that level or higher, which would actually be pretty neat). I would also explicitly note that it can't affect cantrips (or explicitly note that they lose the prepared cantrip, since they're a special case in Pathfinder).

There are a few spells that only affect wizards, like addle, and a few spells that only affect sorcerers, most notoriously donate (although donate is a spell a sorcerer loves having cast on them). It is intentional that the spell can't affect both - I did this to help further separate the two classes.

Aether Flash: Very nice.

Thanks.

Aether Slide: Wording error: " At the end of their next action they return to the plane the originated from..." I would also say, "they return to the current plane", since a strict reading could interpret this as a banishment effect. Since some could interpret the wording to be single-use, I would explicitly state that the effect happens for the duration of the spell.

Noted.

I'll do some more pages later.

Thanks. I should have the 2nd draft out later this week. What I'm currently working on

Inclusion of altered spells from the Core Rules. Mostly this is stuff like Blasphemy, Cloak of Chaos, Shield of Law and others that are alignment dependent. Since the alignments of the setting work differently, so too do these spells.
Standardization of the daily and permanency rituals for the spells they apply to. Some spells can be ritually cast to last all day at a cost of 25gp / level of the spell - the ritual takes an hour to cast. Still, allowing a wizard to spend a morning ritual to get mage armor out of the way seems reasonable. Permanency rituals for spells take 8 hours to cast and cost 2500gp / level, with a minimum caster level +8 above when the spell is first available (so 9th level for 1st level spells, 11th for 2nd, and so on.
The alphabetizing should be restored. Some spells had their names switched and so where appearing out of order - for example "Green Ward" became "Aboran Ward"

Alias
2013-01-24, 11:19 AM
One of the most mind bending spells in the book has to be Sleight of Mind. It's basic effect is easy to state, but explaining the implications of what it is doing takes the better part of a page...

Sleight of Mind
Illusion (Pattern)
[B]Level: (4), Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Close (25' + 5' / 2 levels)
Target: One creature, object or spell.
Duration: 1 hour / level (D) or permanent
(see text)
Saving Throw: Will Negates or none
(objects & spells)

Sleight of Mind is a highly flexible spell that either assigns an illusory attribute to a creature, object or spell and masks any similar attributes; or changes the attributes sought by spells and magic items when they make their determination whether or not they will work. Examples include:
Changing a magic circle against Sodra into a magic circle against Valra.
Changing an absolute law spell to from affecting Shunra spells to affecting Sodra spells.
Change a creature's apparent alignment from Valra to Sodra so that they can move past a forbiddance spell set to ward against Valra.
Change a creature's apparent race from human to elf so that a magic bow will bestow special properties on him.
Change a magic axe so that it functions for elves instead of for dwarves.

Note that sleight of mind does not change the mental or physical state of creatures, it only changes what magic items and spells "see." It can be used to make a paladin appear to be Sodran as far as detection spells, abjurations and abilities directed at the paladin are concerned, but the paladin's alignment does not actually change nor does he lose any of his special powers that require him to be Valran.

If sleight of mind is cast upon an unwilling creature or an object in his possession a willpower saving throw is permitted against its effects. If this spell is cast against a spell that is already in place you make a caster level check as if you were attempting to dispel it in order to effect the sleight of mind change.

You can ready an action and cast sleight of mind in a counterspell-like fashion. If you do this the sleight of mind over-rides any modes the caster might have chosen based on alignment or element and can even change the spell by changing out one element for another (as in the case of changing a magic circle against Sodra into warding against a different alignment). There is no level check to do this.

If you target a summoning spell you can change attributes of the summoned creatures and they do not gain a saving throw. Hence a lantern archon, which is a Valran celestial, could be given the apparent alignment of Sodra and then be subject to the effects of wards against Sodran creatures. Again, the creature's alignment does not actually change, only what magic items and spells see changes.

Cast upon a spell sleight of mind lasts as long as the target spell does. Cast upon a magic item or creature sleight of mind lasts one hour per level. Sleight of Mind is an illusion, and hence certain special spell effects that are dependent on the properties of a target are not triggered by it. For instance, fire based creatures take 150% damage from cold attacks and are immune to fire attacks. If you use sleight of mind to assign the illusionary type "cold" to the creature, it will not become immune to cold attacks. However, a symbol set to trigger when cold based creatures pass would be fooled by the sleight of mind.

As with most illusions, sleight of mind is defeated by true seeing or more powerful magics. Also, users of lesser divinations and intelligent magic items can make a willpower save to disbelieve the illusion or they might do so automatically. For instance, if sleight of mind is used to change the apparent alignment of a paladin to Shunra and that character is wielding an intelligent holy avenger he'd used for many years, that sword would be able to make it's save against the illusion automatically (though it would sense the nature of the casting).

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-26, 02:30 PM
Afflict: At first level, this is a no-save instant-death touch attack for a magus (and maguses wear armor and love to use touch attacks). Even without the death-by-negative-levels, it's still a superbly powerful first-level debuff because it debuffs and reduces their hit points. Raise it to Magus 2.

Agonizing Memories: Might not be a bad idea to word it so that they lose prepared spells, or spell slots if they're spontaneous. Looks fine, it's on par with feeblemind.

Alacrity: Using variables in spell descriptions is unprecedented. I would state that it's a second-level spell that lets you cast second-level or lower incantation, and then add that you can prepare and cast it in a higher-level spell slot to cast incantations of that level (with the obvious clause about not being able to cheese in metamagic).

Alluring Scent: You might want to add that it also works on inhaled poisons of DC 13 or less (or just grant a +4 bonus to saving throws against inhaled poisons or something).

Animal Magnetism: The druid's wild empathy ability is dependent on druid level. Does the target use its own level, or is the target treated as a level 0 druid?

Animal Scouts: Very nice, but Conjuration (Calling) effects bring creatures from other planes, which would make the animals magical. If this draws animals from the natural environment and charms then into serving you, then it's more appropriate to make it an Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] spell with a range of "Personal (see text)" (since the spell remains on the druid, and the animals are only affected by the spell indirectly, but I think that not making the animals register as magical is a bad idea and would do away with that to make it simpler). You may also want to add a provision that you can only summon animals that naturally live in the terrain in which the spell is cast.

Antimagic Field: What's the duration?

Arc Lightning: The way you specify the area of effect is a bit odd. I would do it like wall of fire, as a "twisting path up to 100 feet long plus 10 feet per level" and specify in the spell text that it has to originate from the caster and that you can add branches to it as long as it doesn't exceed the total length.

Armor of Thorns: I'm pretty sure your intent is that this works against natural attacks, so you may want to note that. Also, if this grants a barkskin effect, why is it the same level as the Ranger barkskin? It should be Ranger 3.

Attunement: I understand what it does, but I don't like the wording and it may be confusing to other people (but you've explained the wording already). An example would be nice.

Back To Basics: I have the same complaint about referencing antimagic field that I had for abandon hope. If it suppresses effects instead of spells, you shouldn't use antimagic field as the base.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-26, 02:57 PM
Befoul: Add a few provisions about what spells can and can't dispel it (see insanity). Insanity and feebleminded should both have "(as the spell)" after them. If this causes the seventh-level insanity effect, then this spell should be eighth or ninth level. The "any random disease" part is far, far, far too open-ended. I'm talking "polymorph breaking 3.5 edition" levels of abuse, since you could spam the disease on targets until you got a good one to spread around. See contagion. My main concern is that it could duplicate epic-level diseases or parasites, or lycanthropy. Also, the first time you cast this at the table it's going to grind the game to a screeching halt. Make a table of specific diseases to roll on, then note that GMs may add or remove diseases as appropriate for their setting. Also, does it skip the onset period like contagion?

Bestow Trick: Awesome. Make a note on how this interacts with the special training required to teach an animal to attack unnatural creatures (I would assume that the target would have to already know Attack, and if not two castings would be required). You might want to make it an enchantment spell.

Sodran Ward: Alphabetical order?

Blade Storm: The part about dodging is a little vague, I'm assuming that this Reflex save works as the "Reflex negates" part of blade barrier (you should specify this or duplicate some of the text from blade barrier).

Blinding Light: To tighten up the text, change the first mention of dazzled to "or be dazzled for one round", and the first mention of blinded to "blinded until they leave the effect". You may also want to note that this can dispel higher-level darkness effects.

Blood Pet: Cool spell. "Dog-like" is extremely vague. What size is it? What is its base land speed? Does it have vision and darkvision 60', and hearing, etc? Does it obey and understand your verbal commands? Does it use your knowledge to interpret your commands?

Bloodlust: "The creature is further imbued with a desire to kill anything living in sight" is extremely vague. Was this supposed to mean that the target would attack his allies under certain circumstances? Does it mean that the target won't retreat if his life is in danger? I think this should be an enchantment spell.

Xzoltar
2013-01-27, 07:32 AM
Abandon Hope: Correct, but find it to be a little too high in level, 3 seem more appropriate but as we can make it permanent easly, 4 sound good.

Abeyance: Fine

Absolute Duty/Grace/Law/Reason/Truth: Considering it block a specific Category of spell one level higher than antimagic field sound right, however consider that Sphere of Wonder is a lvl 9 Spell that Block all Spells from One School of Magic.

Abundance: Not that powerful, but still can ruin economy with a druid that cast thiseven only once per village, will cure starvation in the world... Maybe with a higher casting time and a little experience cos, or limited to some charges per day (like 1/CL at the time of the casting) Or maybe the food be tasteless so people will still continue to eat at the tavern when they really want to enjoy a meal.

Accelerated Decay: Guess the spell is anchor at te point of casting and not moving with the caster ? Completly decomposed mean flesh remove as a skeleton or bones to dust or not even dust ?

Acid Rain: Fine as it is if it last only 1 rd or should be cap much lower if working on multiple round (something lie 1d6/1d8 + 1d6/1d8 per 4 level) Bombardement is a Druid Only spell of level 8 with similar effect if I remember well and spells with that radius and cap at 15d6 are around level 5 and last only 1 rd.

Addle: Dont know if there'S Sorcerer in your setting but if yes maybe state that it work on them, but maybe just on the spell slot for up to 1h/CL or the encounter. // Saw your post so discard this

Æther Flash: Fine but it seem too easy to make this spell last longer considering Dimension Lock is a level 8 spell (it completly block and this one damage instead so lvl 7 could be right). Making it Permanent seem a little too easy the cost is also very small evenunless the King want to protect the whole castle oe City.

Æther Slide: Nice One, could be nicer if it worked on object (like a dungeon door), this one could use a ritual to increase the duration (but might be to powerful on person and fine on object)

Afflict: Quite powerful, still fine at level 2, for Magus seem even more powerful as they are already playing in melee and will get much more from using this spell. Would bump it at level 2 for Magus too.

Aggravated Assault: Guess its a Standard action to cast to give an ally a Full-round action and probably an increase in initiative order ? Fine as level 3 for me but overpowered in some games where you have a character who can go nova twice in the same round.

Agonizing Memory: Was fine until the end where it lose all prepared spell of their two highest spell level. Way too Strong, check Khelben Dweomerdoom (lvl 9) in Waterdeep City of Splendor or another lvl 5 spell I can't remember the name who was removing something like 1d4 + something spell levels prepared from the target. Or read Manaspear (lvl 3) from Relics and Rituals I.

Alacrity: Seem to be mising a part of the text here, guess you mean the spell can be cast as a move action ? Why not Swift as per Quicken ? Sound nice but would put a fixed duration just so you can't make it 24h with Persistent Spell (Incantatrix, Divine Metamagic)

Alluring Scent: Should make you easier to track by Scent

Animal Magnetism: Fine

Animal Scouts: Fine

Antimagic Field: Still find cost too cheap, but wont say it again as it will be the same comment for probably all ritual who can be made permanent.

Greater Antimagic Field: Fine

Arc Lightning: Nice One, have not test it, but think it can be powerful enough to be raise to lvl 6 because your control the bolt and can target only ennemy and stay away from ally but forking.

Armor of Thorns: Fine

Attunement: Fine, guess it require your Spellbook to prepare another spell ? Could be more than a standard action, maybe a full-round ?

Desril
2013-01-27, 02:03 PM
Posting here to find this page later. Don't have a facebook, so I'll be looking over it as soon as it gets posted elsewhere.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-27, 03:36 PM
Agonizing Memory: Was fine until the end where it lose all prepared spell of their two highest spell level. Way too Strong, check Khelben Dweomerdoom (lvl 9) in Waterdeep City of Splendor or another lvl 5 spell I can't remember the name who was removing something like 1d4 + something spell levels prepared from the target. Or read Manaspear (lvl 3) from Relics and Rituals I.
I think it's fine. Compare it to feeblemind, the standard anti-caster spell.

The scent ability description already describes range increases for stronger scents.

A creature with the scent ability can detect opponents by sense of smell, generally within 30 feet. If the opponent is upwind, the range is 60 feet. If it is downwind, the range is 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at three times these ranges.

Attunement: Fine, guess it require your Spellbook to prepare another spell ? Could be more than a standard action, maybe a full-round ?
Oooh, nice catch. Specifically state that you can only prep spells that were in your spellbook when you last studied.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-27, 06:51 PM
Bright Circle: Saying that high-level undead can "save to negate" is confusing, especially when there's still a penalty on a successful save. Most of the time, "save negates" means that all effects are ignored, you would be better off saying they can "save to resist the turning effect". Perhaps a "Fortitude partial [see text]" in the Saving Throw entry would be better too. Also, I think this should be a Will save, since most anti-undead effects (like the Disruption weapon quality) use a Will save, and by undead are immune to spells that requires a Fortitude save (there is no exception for spells that specifically target undead). You may want to specify exactly how much holy water is necessary, since it normally costs 25 gp per flask to make it.

Brittle-Bone Curse: Because it has no immediate combat applications, I would make this a level 2 spell and note that dispel magic and heal can remove it.

Brute Resolve: Does the Intelligence penalty have a duration of Permanent, or is it Intelligence damage?

Buried Alive: It should have the [Earth] subtype. I would specify that the target must be standing on earth or stone when the spell is cast. For a save-or-die that doesn't require a save and touch attack, and disallows spell resistance, this is too powerful for 5th level. Compare it to the druid's first save-or-die, finger of death. Doesn't matter if you can dig the target out, most parties don't have move earth prepared. I would pin it at 8th level as a druid spell, maybe 7th if it only worked on natural unworked stone or earth. You could mitigate this by giving it limitations (For example, it takes a round to open and the target can take an action to move away from it as though on difficult terrain before it opens, or the target is allowed a Climb check on its next action to escape before it closes and be buried less deep depending on how badly the check fails, or if the target has more Hit Dice than the caster he's only buried up to his neck and can break free with a DC 30 Strength check, etc etc).

Burrowing: Needs components. I would explicitly state that you are blind while you are in the rock, and that you can only carry objects up to a light load with you. Considering its level and relative utility compared to the blink spell, I would note that worked stone counts as difficult terrain when you move through it.

Carapace: Broken on a ranger because it's a really really really good buff. Compare it to magic fang. I would make it 4th level.

Catalogue: You have a very strange definition of "rapidly". Because you already have to be in the library for 24 hours, I would reduce the casting time to one minute. I would explicitly note that the spell preparation bit requires you to cast the spell immediately after resting for 8 hours, and that the spell preparation lets you prepare a spell in the slot you cast it from. Can you spend a day in the library, leave for a week, and then come back and use this spell right away? If you can return to the target library at any time, can you only be "attuned" to one library at a time to prevent abuse? Is there a limit on how many books constitute a library? (Like if I have ten books on a bookshelf, does that count?)

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-27, 07:40 PM
Chain Contingency: Do the three spells all have to have the same trigger? Do they all have to activate at the same time?

Chaldusu's Hex: I would be very careful with this kind of effect. Maybe you could have it work like energy resistance, where it blocks a total of 10 points of healing per caster level to a maximum of 100 (this is the best one I can think of that would keep it from being outclassed by direct damage). I think that making it have unlimited effect would only work if it was a 6th level spell that required a touch attack. I would explicitly state that this blocks Conjuration (Healing) effects, and then go on to explain that it prevents anything that would heal hit point damage and explicitly mention fast healing and regeneration.

Chaos Ball: You mean flaming sphere, right? I would note that the other energy types can do things like freeze unattended liquids, etc etc (because the original spell says it sets things on fire). I also think that a little more damage is appropriate for this spell (no more than 3d6. Maybe 2d8?)

Chaos Bolt: You mean "Will saving throw". Duration should be "Instantaneous (see text)". I think that 1 round per 2 levels would be fine for the wild magic duration, unless you're using a ridiculous kind of wild magic that affects every spell.

Chaos Sphere: You should explicitly note what happens to continuously-active magic items, I'm wondering what happens to a +1 sword in the effect.

Chaos in the Mind's Eye: I would remove the bit about the -4 penalty, it's confusing, just say in parentheses that the penalties stack. This is pretty overpowered compared to, say, symbol of stunning, so I would make it allow the targets a new save each round to end at least the nauseated effect.

Chill: I think you have some Magic: The Gathering text here.

Choking Vines: Just to avoid any ridiculousness, I would make the summoned assassin vines unable to use their entangle ability. You might also want to specify whether the summoned assassin vines get to make Stealth checks before they attack.

Circle of Hands: Best to specify that you can only use this to store a number of spell levels equal to your caster level. That should curb any ridiculousness (but it is a ninth level spell after all). You should also specify what happens to spells with somatic and material components, since they may be difficult to work with while holding hands. I believe the intent of this is that the recipients can only cast the spells on themselves, so you should note that too.

Circumvent: It might be best to say, "As dispel magic, but you may only use this to counterspell." It's overpowered if you can use a third-level slot to successfully dispel ninth-level spells as an immediate action, so making it based on dispel magic with its built-in limitations will keep things sane.

Clear Mind: Considering the severe drawback, I think it's appropriate to let this spell allow you to prepare your spells as part of the casting. I would make the effect be ability burn instead (see the psionics rules, it means you can't use magic to heal it).

Alias
2013-01-27, 11:52 PM
Afflict: At first level, this is a no-save instant-death touch attack for a magus (and maguses wear armor and love to use touch attacks). Even without the death-by-negative-levels, it's still a superbly powerful first-level debuff because it debuffs and reduces their hit points. Raise it to Magus 2.

I don't think it's out of scale with the usual Magus go to of Shocking Grasp. I mean sure, 1st level vs. 1st level it's worse, but once the Magus gets higher in level it's utility diminishes, much like sleep though perhaps not as bad.

Agonizing Memories: Might not be a bad idea to word it so that they lose prepared spells, or spell slots if they're spontaneous. Looks fine, it's on par with feeblemind.

Adjusted.

Alacrity: Using variables in spell descriptions is unprecedented. I would state that it's a second-level spell that lets you cast second-level or lower incantation, and then add that you can prepare and cast it in a higher-level spell slot to cast incantations of that level (with the obvious clause about not being able to cheese in metamagic).

The spell was missing the text about being able to cast the spells as a move-equivalent action. Alacrity is, well, spell haste.

You'll see a lot of Level X spells in the document. Alacrity is hardly alone. The rules for them will be in the next draft I post.

Alluring Scent: You might want to add that it also works on inhaled poisons of DC 13 or less (or just grant a +4 bonus to saving throws against inhaled poisons or something).

Have the bonus apply to both the diplomacy checks and the fortitude saves. New text reads:

This spell creates a pleasant and enjoyable odor that grants you a +2 bonus to diplomacy checks / level (max +10) and grants the same bonus to fortitude saves against inhaled poisons for all creatures in the area of effect.

Animal Magnetism: The druid's wild empathy ability is dependent on druid level. Does the target use its own level, or is the target treated as a level 0 druid?

Setting this to "as a druid of half your level."

Animal Scouts: Very nice, but Conjuration (Calling) effects bring creatures from other planes, which would make the animals magical. If this draws animals from the natural environment and charms then into serving you, then it's more appropriate to make it an Enchantment [Mind-Affecting] spell with a range of "Personal (see text)" (since the spell remains on the druid, and the animals are only affected by the spell indirectly, but I think that not making the animals register as magical is a bad idea and would do away with that to make it simpler). You may also want to add a provision that you can only summon animals that naturally live in the terrain in which the spell is cast.

Adjustments made.

Antimagic Field: What's the duration?

Nevermind - as a separate entry it's been removed.

Arc Lightning: The way you specify the area of effect is a bit odd. I would do it like wall of fire, as a "twisting path up to 100 feet long plus 10 feet per level" and specify in the spell text that it has to originate from the caster and that you can add branches to it as long as it doesn't exceed the total length.

I'll think on that.

Armor of Thorns: I'm pretty sure your intent is that this works against natural attacks, so you may want to note that. Also, if this grants a barkskin effect, why is it the same level as the Ranger barkskin? It should be Ranger 3.

Attunement: I understand what it does, but I don't like the wording and it may be confusing to other people (but you've explained the wording already). An example would be nice.

I'll consider adding that.

Back To Basics: I have the same complaint about referencing antimagic field that I had for abandon hope. If it suppresses effects instead of spells, you shouldn't use antimagic field as the base.

It is antimagic field against spells with the enhancement descriptor - the core rules spells with this descriptor are: Aid, Align Weapon, Animal Growth, Barkskin, Bear's Endurance, Bear's Endurance, Mass, Bless, Bless Weapon, Bull's Strength, Bull's Strength, Mass, Cat's Grace, Cat's Grace, Mass, Death Ward, Disrupting Weapon, Divine Favor, Divine Power, Eagle's Splendor, Eagle's Splendor, Mass, Expeditious Retreat, Find Traps, Fox's Cunning, Fox's Cunning, Mass, Glibness, Guidance, Heroism, Heroism, Greater, Jump, Keen Edge, Mage Armor, Magic Vestment, Magic Weapon, Magic Weapon, Greater, Moment of Prescience, Owl's Wisdom, Owl's Wisdom, Mass, Resistance, Shillelagh, Transformation

I've removed the line concerning the supressing of effects but note that was present because it's a convenient shorthand for the adjudication of the spell.

Befoul: Add a few provisions about what spells can and can't dispel it (see insanity). Insanity and feebleminded should both have "(as the spell)" after them. If this causes the seventh-level insanity effect, then this spell should be eighth or ninth level. The "any random disease" part is far, far, far too open-ended. I'm talking "polymorph breaking 3.5 edition" levels of abuse, since you could spam the disease on targets until you got a good one to spread around. See contagion. My main concern is that it could duplicate epic-level diseases or parasites, or lycanthropy. Also, the first time you cast this at the table it's going to grind the game to a screeching halt. Make a table of specific diseases to roll on, then note that GMs may add or remove diseases as appropriate for their setting. Also, does it skip the onset period like contagion?

disease, feeblemind and insanity are removed.

Bestow Trick: Awesome. Make a note on how this interacts with the special training required to teach an animal to attack unnatural creatures (I would assume that the target would have to already know Attack, and if not two castings would be required). You might want to make it an enchantment spell.

Done. Added this line: The trick cannot require other tricks to be learned first that the animal doesn't know.

Sodran Ward: Alphabetical order?
Original name was "Black" ward. If a spell is out of order, its name was changed.

Blade Storm: The part about dodging is a little vague, I'm assuming that this Reflex save works as the "Reflex negates" part of blade barrier (you should specify this or duplicate some of the text from blade barrier).

Added "completely" after "dodge them".

Blinding Light: To tighten up the text, change the first mention of dazzled to "or be dazzled for one round", and the first mention of blinded to "blinded until they leave the effect". You may also want to note that this can dispel higher-level darkness effects.

Done, but the blindness is to be permanent. As far as dispelling higher level darkness spells - that's a global rule that doesn't need to be restated.

Blood Pet: Cool spell. "Dog-like" is extremely vague. What size is it? What is its base land speed? Does it have vision and darkvision 60', and hearing, etc? Does it obey and understand your verbal commands? Does it use your knowledge to interpret your commands?

New Text:

When you cast blood pet you open a wound with a silver dagger and a small sized creature forms from your blood within close range taking whatever form you choose (dogs are the most popular choice). It has 1 HD for each caster level you have, up to 5HD, and you lose one hit point per die the creature has that cannot be healed by any means until this spell ends.
The creature's skills and feats are the same as yours. It counts as undead so it has no constitution or intelligence score, and it’s other abilities are the same as yours or 10, whichever is greater. The creature obeys and understands your metal commands out to one mile away from you. If you move farther away than this from it the spell ends.
The creature has a +1 to hit for each HD it has and a slam attack of 1d8.

Bloodlust: "The creature is further imbued with a desire to kill anything living in sight" is extremely vague. Was this supposed to mean that the target would attack his allies under certain circumstances? Does it mean that the target won't retreat if his life is in danger? I think this should be an enchantment spell.

Line changed to "The creature is further imbued with a desire to kill anything living in sight and will attack any creature it can, starting with the closest, without regard for friend, foe or personal safety." Also made an enchantment (compulsion)

Alias
2013-01-28, 12:17 AM
Abandon Hope: Correct, but find it to be a little too high in level, 3 seem more appropriate but as we can make it permanent easly, 4 sound good.

The ritual rules are now streamlined so that the only note this spell gives about it's daily and permanency modes is an (R) on the duration line. Elsewhere in the book is this line:

Many spells can be ritually cast to increase their duration. These spells will have an (R) note on their duration line. To make the spell last for a day / level you must spend an hour casting it and use material components costing 25gp / level of the spell. You may spend eight hours casting it and 2500gp / level of the spell to make the effect permanent. Spells which emenate from you can be fixed to an area when ritually cast.

Absolute Duty/Grace/Law/Reason/Truth: Considering it block a specific Category of spell one level higher than antimagic field sound right, however consider that Sphere of Wonder is a lvl 9 Spell that Block all Spells from One School of Magic.

It's easier to avoid a school than to avoid an alignment of spells. Their level is fine.

Abundance: Not that powerful, but still can ruin economy with a druid that cast thiseven only once per village, will cure starvation in the world... Maybe with a higher casting time and a little experience cos, or limited to some charges per day (like 1/CL at the time of the casting) Or maybe the food be tasteless so people will still continue to eat at the tavern when they really want to enjoy a meal.

This spell has been raised to 5th level. 9th level druids have better uses of their time than to use this spell except in an emergency.

Accelerated Decay: Guess the spell is anchor at te point of casting and not moving with the caster ? Completly decomposed mean flesh remove as a skeleton or bones to dust or not even dust ?

Whatever the GM wishes to describe it as. The point being that after accelerated decay is done there's nothing left to reanimate a second time. I describe it as reduced to dust myself.

Acid Rain: Fine as it is if it last only 1 rd or should be cap much lower if working on multiple round (something lie 1d6/1d8 + 1d6/1d8 per 4 level) Bombardement is a Druid Only spell of level 8 with similar effect if I remember well and spells with that radius and cap at 15d6 are around level 5 and last only 1 rd.

I view a cap to the spell as pointless pendantry concerning spell damage output. Fights rarely run more than 5 rounds in my experience, hence this spell will almost always be limited to that amount of damage. If someone stays unprotected in the area of effect for 20d6 damage from a 20th level caster, they deserve it.

Afflict: Quite powerful, still fine at level 2, for Magus seem even more powerful as they are already playing in melee and will get much more from using this spell. Would bump it at level 2 for Magus too.

I'll think on this some more.

Aggravated Assault: Guess its a Standard action to cast to give an ally a Full-round action and probably an increase in initiative order ? Fine as level 3 for me but overpowered in some games where you have a character who can go nova twice in the same round.

As I've argued elsewhere, that is a balance problem from the game, not the spell. The spell is merely acting as a symptom to a much more serious problem. Can still be fun to put on a wand to hand off to a familiar though, in practice, that quickly leads to a dead familiar (same with putting counterspell on a wand)

Those spells vastly, vastly overcost the effect. Feeblemind can remove all casting ability, where this only removes a piece of it.

Alacrity: Seem to be mising a part of the text here, guess you mean the spell can be cast as a move action ? Why not Swift as per Quicken ? Sound nice but would put a fixed duration just so you can't make it 24h with Persistent Spell (Incantatrix, Divine Metamagic)

Fixing the duration to 1 minute.

I'll leave ad hoc rulings like that to the GM, that said you're likely right.

Arc Lightning: Nice One, have not test it, but think it can be powerful enough to be raise to lvl 6 because your control the bolt and can target only ennemy and stay away from ally but forking.

I'll drop it's absolute number of affected squares before I'll up the level. I think it's fine - party and enemy are usually not that jumbled up in my experience.

The fact that it acts so quickly is part of its power, to be honest. I have considered having a spellbook be an arcane focus to the spell. Wizards are usually reluctant to bring those out in combat.

Alias
2013-01-28, 12:59 AM
Bright Circle: Saying that high-level undead can "save to negate" is confusing, especially when there's still a penalty on a successful save. Most of the time, "save negates" means that all effects are ignored, you would be better off saying they can "save to resist the turning effect". Perhaps a "Fortitude partial [see text]" in the Saving Throw entry would be better too. Also, I think this should be a Will save, since most anti-undead effects (like the Disruption weapon quality) use a Will save, and by undead are immune to spells that requires a Fortitude save (there is no exception for spells that specifically target undead). You may want to specify exactly how much holy water is necessary, since it normally costs 25 gp per flask to make it.

Adjusted as noted.

Brittle-Bone Curse: Because it has no immediate combat applications, I would make this a level 2 spell and note that dispel magic and heal can remove it.

Nah, I like it being so hard to remove. Also, despite it's slow acting nature it is ultimately a death effect, and I'm not comfortable making one of those all the way down at level 2.

Brute Resolve: Does the Intelligence penalty have a duration of Permanent, or is it Intelligence damage?

As feeblemind.

Buried Alive: It should have the [Earth] subtype. I would specify that the target must be standing on earth or stone when the spell is cast. For a save-or-die that doesn't require a save and touch attack, and disallows spell resistance, this is too powerful for 5th level. Compare it to the druid's first save-or-die, finger of death. Doesn't matter if you can dig the target out, most parties don't have move earth prepared. I would pin it at 8th level as a druid spell, maybe 7th if it only worked on natural unworked stone or earth. You could mitigate this by giving it limitations (For example, it takes a round to open and the target can take an action to move away from it as though on difficult terrain before it opens, or the target is allowed a Climb check on its next action to escape before it closes and be buried less deep depending on how badly the check fails, or if the target has more Hit Dice than the caster he's only buried up to his neck and can break free with a DC 30 Strength check, etc etc).

The spell is Reflex Negates. Did Pathfinder change the level of Finger of Death - cause I could have sworn it was 5th. I'll place this at 6th for now.

Burrowing: Needs components. I would explicitly state that you are blind while you are in the rock, and that you can only carry objects up to a light load with you. Considering its level and relative utility compared to the blink spell, I would note that worked stone counts as difficult terrain when you move through it.

Hmm.. The idea of the spell is to mimic the Xorn's ability to glide through earth. I'll take this to 5th but leave it alone.

Carapace: Broken on a ranger because it's a really really really good buff. Compare it to magic fang. I would make it 4th level.

Done.

Catalogue: You have a very strange definition of "rapidly". Because you already have to be in the library for 24 hours, I would reduce the casting time to one minute. I would explicitly note that the spell preparation bit requires you to cast the spell immediately after resting for 8 hours, and that the spell preparation lets you prepare a spell in the slot you cast it from. Can you spend a day in the library, leave for a week, and then come back and use this spell right away? If you can return to the target library at any time, can you only be "attuned" to one library at a time to prevent abuse? Is there a limit on how many books constitute a library? (Like if I have ten books on a bookshelf, does that count?)

Considering researching a sufficiently large library could take months then, yes, rapidly. Removing the day long stay at the library part though. Clarification on "library" added - "For purposes of this spell a library is all the books within a single free standing structure, even if that's just one book."

Chain Contingency: Do the three spells all have to have the same trigger? Do they all have to activate at the same time?

Yes, and yes.

Chaldusu's Hex: I would be very careful with this kind of effect. Maybe you could have it work like energy resistance, where it blocks a total of 10 points of healing per caster level to a maximum of 100 (this is the best one I can think of that would keep it from being outclassed by direct damage). I think that making it have unlimited effect would only work if it was a 6th level spell that required a touch attack. I would explicitly state that this blocks Conjuration (Healing) effects, and then go on to explain that it prevents anything that would heal hit point damage and explicitly mention fast healing and regeneration.

No. The spell only strikes a single creature and only limits its ability to heal - an ability most creatures don't have. The spell is already so narrow that it is rarely chosen - I'm not too keen on weaking it further.

Chaos Ball: You mean flaming sphere, right? I would note that the other energy types can do things like freeze unattended liquids, etc etc (because the original spell says it sets things on fire). I also think that a little more damage is appropriate for this spell (no more than 3d6. Maybe 2d8?)

I might up the damage on a later pass. I'm going to leave it be for now.

Chaos Bolt: You mean "Will saving throw". Duration should be "Instantaneous (see text)". I think that 1 round per 2 levels would be fine for the wild magic duration, unless you're using a ridiculous kind of wild magic that affects every spell.

Having the wild spellcaster template means the saving throw DC of their spells is d20+spell level + casting ability modifier instead of 10+spell level+casting ability modifier. If the creature rolls it's own level, it suffers a wild surge.

Chaos Sphere: You should explicitly note what happens to continuously-active magic items, I'm wondering what happens to a +1 sword in the effect.

Continuously active items aren't subject. The rules governing this are discussed when wild magic itself is discussed in another chapter of the book.

Chaos in the Mind's Eye: I would remove the bit about the -4 penalty, it's confusing, just say in parentheses that the penalties stack. This is pretty overpowered compared to, say, symbol of stunning, so I would make it allow the targets a new save each round to end at least the nauseated effect.

I'll work on this a bit later - I was trying to simplify the wording and wasn't paying attention to how it lined up with other spells.

Chill: I think you have some Magic: The Gathering text here.

Corrected. I've also changed the effect now since the one I had at that point is Valran in nature (Balcra doesn't do damage reduction). The effect is now simply, "Shunran spells take at least two rounds to cast in the area of effect."

Choking Vines: Just to avoid any ridiculousness, I would make the summoned assassin vines unable to use their entangle ability. You might also want to specify whether the summoned assassin vines get to make Stealth checks before they attack.

Added "The vines cannot use their own entangle ability and attack immediately."

Circle of Hands: Best to specify that you can only use this to store a number of spell levels equal to your caster level. That should curb any ridiculousness (but it is a ninth level spell after all). You should also specify what happens to spells with somatic and material components, since they may be difficult to work with while holding hands. I believe the intent of this is that the recipients can only cast the spells on themselves, so you should note that too.

Cleaner wording:

All creatures to be affected by this ritual join in a circle of hands. Each of the spellcasters in this group may choose spells of touch or personal range and confer them upon all in the circle. Up to one spell per level you have can be so confered. Within the next day each recipient may simualtaneously activate all of the spells they recieved from the circle. Those spells have their effect and duration calculated as if you cast them.

Circumvent: It might be best to say, "As dispel magic, but you may only use this to counterspell." It's overpowered if you can use a third-level slot to successfully dispel ninth-level spells as an immediate action, so making it based on dispel magic with its built-in limitations will keep things sane.

Counterspell, at one level higher, has no dispel check at all as a draw back. It simply counters the spell. I do not consider it a drawback or overpowered for spells to be very easy to disrupt during their casting. I consider it a nerf to the power of spellcasters - albeit a nerf coming from their fellows.

Clear Mind: Considering the severe drawback, I think it's appropriate to let this spell allow you to prepare your spells as part of the casting. I would make the effect be ability burn instead (see the psionics rules, it means you can't use magic to heal it).

I'll think on that, or perhaps change the casting time up to an hour as part of that.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-01-31, 01:17 AM
Clearsight: I would also make an explicit note that it doesn't let you ignore darkness.

Cloak Undead: Extremely vague wording. I would simply say that the illusion is broken if they take damage. It may not be a bad idea to state that it makes them look and smell normal, and anyone touching them is allowed a Will save to see through the illusion. Also, you could probably make this second or third level and it would be fine.

Clutch of Undeath: Considering the effect, I would change it to a Fortitude save to negate.

Cocoon: Have you compared this to the psionic power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoon.htm)?

Common Cause: "+1 bonus to all rolls" is far too vague. (Consider how it applies to things like concealment or a rod of wonder table.) Most boosts like this will specify "attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks", which covers all of the kinds of d20 rolls. If you want to improve combat effectiveness, then "attack and damage rolls" would cover that. Anyways, I think that this spell could be much lower level, like Clr 2, Pal 2. It's very rare to have a party with all the same alignment, and even rarer to be fighting only a single enemy or multiple enemies who don't have the same alignment. If reduced to 2nd level, it would be a very good idea to have a cap of +1 per 3 levels.

Cone of Flame: Looks fine.

Confiscate: Have you looked at the psionic power that does this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm)?

Control Revocation: The wording is really awkward. Instead of "similar to spell turning...", you should say, "This spell functions like spell turning, except it only turns compulsion spells, can turn any number of spells back, and can be bestowed on other creatures." That means you could also remove some of the entries, like the duration.

Alias
2013-02-01, 09:30 AM
Clearsight: I would also make an explicit note that it doesn't let you ignore darkness.

Sure, why not.

Cloak Undead: Extremely vague wording. I would simply say that the illusion is broken if they take damage. It may not be a bad idea to state that it makes them look and smell normal, and anyone touching them is allowed a Will save to see through the illusion. Also, you could probably make this second or third level and it would be fine.

The spell is a conversion of a 2nd level spell with the same name and hasn't changed much since the original version. I believe it comes from The Complete Book of Necromancers.

Clutch of Undeath: Considering the effect, I would change it to a Fortitude save to negate.

Hmm, I can see that.

Cocoon: Have you compared this to the psionic power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/ectoplasmicCocoon.htm)?

I do not have either Psionic Handbook nor am I especially interested in adding psionics to my games.

Common Cause: "+1 bonus to all rolls" is far too vague. (Consider how it applies to things like concealment or a rod of wonder table.) Most boosts like this will specify "attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks", which covers all of the kinds of d20 rolls. If you want to improve combat effectiveness, then "attack and damage rolls" would cover that. Anyways, I think that this spell could be much lower level, like Clr 2, Pal 2. It's very rare to have a party with all the same alignment, and even rarer to be fighting only a single enemy or multiple enemies who don't have the same alignment. If reduced to 2nd level, it would be a very good idea to have a cap of +1 per 3 levels.

The spell has been dropped.

Confiscate: Have you looked at the psionic power that does this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/coOptConcentration.htm)?

Again, no access to the books.

Control Revocation: The wording is really awkward. Instead of "similar to spell turning...", you should say, "This spell functions like spell turning, except it only turns compulsion spells, can turn any number of spells back, and can be bestowed on other creatures." That means you could also remove some of the entries, like the duration.

I'll think on that.

Alias
2013-02-08, 11:11 AM
bump I think is appropriate after a couple weeks.