PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon PrC inquiries

Ieatelves
2013-01-14, 01:14 AM
Hello good folks of the playground!

I've come today with a twofold subject. I've come around to play a changeling chameleon and I need your opinion on two things:

1: I've built him pretty much as a jack of all trade both in and out of combat infiltrator. Here's what the character sheet looks like:

Changeling rogue 2(Racial Variant, martial feat version)/Warblade 3/ Warshaper 2/ Chameleon 4
CG Medium humanoid (shapechanger)
Init +3; Senses Spot 0, Listen 0
Languages Comon, halfling, elven
----------------------
Ac 21, touch 13, flat-footed 18
Hp 93 (115 in alternate form. Noted as * from here on down)
Fort +11 (*13), Ref +12, Will +7 (*9)
----------------------
Speed 30ft, Base speed 30ft.
Melee +1 morping elven longbow +11 (*+13) (1d6+7)
Ranged: masterwork elven longbow (composite +4) +12 (1d8)
Base Atk +8; Grp +10
------------------------
Maneuvers and Stances Known (Il 5)
Stances- Hunter's sence (1st)
Strikes- Steel wind (1st), Moment of perfect mind (1st), Douse the flames (1st), Mountain Hammer (2nd),
Boosts- Suddent Leap (1rd).
-------------------------
Abilites Str: 14 (18*) Dex: 16 Con: 14 (18*) Int: 14 Wis: 10 Cha: 10
Feats: Able learner, Nymph's Kiss, (B) Point blank shot, (B) Close quarter combat, Endurance, SteadFast determination.
Skills: Bluff: +20, Diplomacy +16, Gather information +4 , Intimidate +6, Jump +14 (*16), Knowledge (Local) +10, Sense motive + 15, Sleight of Hand +15, SpellCraft +6, Tumble + 12, Skill Trick: Assume Quirk.
Possessons: Twillight Mithril Chain Shirt +1, Vest of Resistance +2, Ring of Deflection +3, Cloak of elvenkind, spellbook, 1 wand o cure light wound.

Now with the 12th level coming, i'm torn as to what feat I should pick and what gear i should spend my money on. Metamagic rods? Pumping my Ac? (Beeing the character with the most hp in the party, I tend to be on the frontlines most of the time). I was thinking of getting exotic weapon proficiency and morphing my weapon each day to fit the personality I'll impersonate and use the warblade's weapon aptitude to gain proficiency with it. For you see, the party's composed of two psychic warrior-ish character (one beeing a living tank gish, and the other one an offensive oriented melee kind), one pure rogue focused on sneak attacking, one priest (focused on high AC and party healing/buffing) and lastly a blasting sorcerer.

2: Since the party and campaign is psionnic heavy, I've approached the DM with the idea of a psionnic chameleon. He told me to go crazy, and I've built a little something which i'd like you guys to review. I don't know if it's been done, if so, I'd like to know what it looks like! If not, please leave me your comments on how i did :D

Psionnic aptitude Focus: You gain the ability to manifest psionnic powers, which may be chosen from the power list of
any psionnic manifesting class.

Your powers known per day are based on the Table 5–2: The Chameleon for the exception that you do not know any level 0 powers. You must choose your known powers at the time of your meditation.
You gain power points based on the number of powers you add to your known powers for the day.
You gain a number of power points equal to twice the power level for each power you prepare in such a way.
You also gain aditionnal power points based on your manifester level and your charisma score.
When Table 5–2 indicates that you get 0 powers per day of a
given power level, you can add one power known of that level but only gain half the power points from it.
Your manifester level is equal to twice your class level. You need to have a charisma score equal to 10 + power level to add a power to your known power list.
The Difficulty class for saving throws against the powers cast from a chameleon is 10 + power's level + the chameleon's charisma modifier.
Once a power is prepared in such a way, the slot is considerred spent for the day. If the chameleon decides to lose his psionnic aptitude focus, the powers known and any power points gained
from the aptitude are suspended untill the chameleon regains his psionnic aptitude focus during the day.

You also gain a +2 competence bonus on Knowledge
(psionnics) checks and Psycraft checks and a +2 bonus on
Will saves; at 5th level, the bonuses improve to +4.

Additional Mimic Class Feature:

Wild surge (Ex) : You can let your passion and emotion rise to the surface in a wild surge when you manifest
a power.
See the wilder class feature (see also psychic enervation) on page 33 of the expanded psionnics handbook.
You can gain a bonus to manifester level equal to +1 per 3 class levels.

Edit: My bad, actually mispelled Nether Mithril chain shirt while the enchant is known as ''twillight''. Thanks Pilo for pointing that out.

LTwerewolf
2013-01-14, 01:33 AM
Factoti are good jacks of all trades, you can fit it in there as well and make a psionic equivalent (use psion/wilder list like regular uses wiz/sorc)

Pilo
2013-01-14, 04:28 AM
I don't know what "Nether" property do in Nether Mithril Chain Shirt +1 but as you cast spells, you may want the Twilight property (in PHB2) for the cost of a +1 which reduce the spell failure chance of an armor by 10%.

As you have nothing in the neck slot, you may want a Periapt of Wisdom +4 to get 14 in wisdom and then cast clerical spells.

If you feel you don't have enough spell per day, you may like Pearl of Power.

Pandiano
2013-01-14, 05:15 AM
The plural of "factotum" is "factota".

Of course you wanted to say "Factoti", since it originates from latin.
(Actually the dictionary says 'facotums' is also right)
So basically anything but 'factota'. You would switch male plural with female singular.

HunterOfJello
2013-01-14, 06:45 AM
Your current maneuvers aren't legal.

Both Sudden Leap and Hunter's Sense require One Tiger Claw maneuver as a prerequisite. I suggest dropping Douse the Flames and adding Wolf Fang Strike to the build instead. (Wolf Fang Strike is the only 1st level tiger claw maneuver that doesn't require another wolf fang maneuver as a pre-req.)

I'd also carefully consider the decision to take Warshaper 2 before you hit Chameleon 7. The 7th level of Chameleon is the golden sweet spot of the class where you get Double Aptitude. If you can get that in 1 level, it'll definitely be worth it. Warshaper 2 is great, but not as great as being able to using 0 to 5th level spells/powers from two different spell lists all day.

Talionis
2013-01-14, 10:36 AM

Both Sudden Leap and Hunter's Sense require One Tiger Claw maneuver as a prerequisite. I suggest dropping Douse the Flames and adding Wolf Fang Strike to the build instead. (Wolf Fang Strike is the only 1st level tiger claw maneuver that doesn't require another wolf fang maneuver as a pre-req.)

I'm not sure, but can't you have both Sudden Leap and Hunter's Sense since you get them at the same level and each meets the others prerequisite?

ToB is notoriously bad for non-errata. Tiger Claw is particularly bad for not allowing its low level maneuvers to be dipped, but I'm pretty sure that when you retrain maneuvers they don't have to chain anymore.

The one maneuver requirement still has meaning because you have to take two Tiger Claw maneuvers instead of just one at first level. But it does make a lot more sense to read it that way.

If this isn't RAW, I've seen a lot of DMs and people on the boards make the same mistake.

Ieatelves
2013-01-14, 11:16 AM
Factoti are good jacks of all trades, you can fit it in there as well and make a psionic equivalent (use psion/wilder list like regular uses wiz/sorc)

I've actually thought about that class. I've read about it all over the forums, it's mentionned a whole lot of times. I simply don't know in what book they are mentionned, mind sharing the knowledge? :D

I'd also carefully consider the decision to take Warshaper 2 before you hit Chameleon 7. The 7th level of Chameleon is the golden sweet spot of the class where you get Double Aptitude. If you can get that in 1 level, it'll definitely be worth it. Warshaper 2 is great, but not as great as being able to using 0 to 5th level spells/powers from two different spell lists all day.

Good call on the illegal maneuvres, i'll correct that right away. Not that it's gonna influence any of the gameplay so far which is why I'll have no problem changing it without the DM worrying. As far as the whole warshaper thing, I would have agreed with you. Only problem is that the campaign is point buy 28 and I wasn't comfortable with having a low stat MAD character. Wanted my Str and Con to be respectable at the very least. It -was- a very hard choice and I know it may not be the best one but it's set in stone now, no going back :(

Now, anyone has thoughts on my homebrew bit? Is it balanced enough to be submitted?

LTwerewolf
2013-01-14, 11:29 AM
Dungeonscape for Factotum. Factotum->chameleon is actually a very common build for what you're looking for.