PDA

View Full Version : [WFRP] The Bloody Crown - OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LCP
2013-01-14, 08:31 AM
The Bloody Crown - OOC

We are not little men, and there is nothing that we are afraid of except Drink, and we have signed a Contrack on that. Therefore, we are going away to be kings.
-Peachey Carnehan, The Man Who Would Be King (Rudyard Kipling)

IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267750)

Welcome to the OOC thread for The Bloody Crown, a Renegade Crowns campaign for WFRP 2E. Set in the dusty, war-torn southern backwater of the Old World known as the Border Princes, it aims to tell the story of three years' struggle between the robber barons and pretender princes who lay claim to one corner of this lawless land.

Our PCs begin as lowly commoners, thrust together for the first time on the road to the village of Elmridge. With a little ruthless enterprise, they may become power players in their own right - whether by attaching themselves to the court of a mighty lord (perhaps with the aim of usurping his throne), or striking out on their own. They may also end up lying in a ditch with their throats slit. In the Border Princes, these outcomes are far from being mutually exclusive.

There's a lot of information to cover in these opening posts, so I'm going to reserve a couple for GM information. After that, I'd ask everyone to please make their first post in this thread a post containing their character sheet. Please don't fill out the OOC with more posts until everyone's sheet is up - that way we'll have all the information we need here on page 1 for future reference.

1

Rules of Posting

I understand that we have at least one (maybe more?) player who is new to PBP in the group. I am a fan of PBP - every game I've ever run has been on one message board or another. As such, I have developed some rules which (I think) help structure things, and keep the game rolling along at a reasonable pace.

Activity:
Expected rate of posting is at least once per day.
If you don’t post in 48 hours, I will take control of your character to move things along - usually making them agree with the others or stay in the background.
If you don’t post in a week, I will set your character's Fate Points to zero and start looking for ways to kill them off.

Going on hiatus with prior warning is absolutely fine: the above rules apply to unexpected disappearances. Drop me a notification before you’re going away/losing your internet access/what have you, and I’ll happily play your character as an NPC until you can return. If you disappear without warning, I will start badgering you.

Rolls:
Make all rolls using the forum dice roller, either in a spoiler-box in the relevant IC post, or in a separate post in this thread.
Some rolls (mainly ones at which you should not know whether you have succeeded or failed, and Tzeentch's Curse for spellcasters) I will make in secret.
As a time-saving device, I will roll all initiatives at the start of an encounter, allowing you to get straight to your actions rather than waiting about for each other.

Combat:
When in combat, do not wait to post in sequence of initiative: post whenever you are free to post. If your actions depend on someone ahead of you in the initiative order, you can leave conditional OOC instructions. I will conduct my rolling for each combat round in this thread, and post an IC summary that signifies the end of the current round & the start of the next.

In combat I will use a grid map, which I will post an updated version of along with each turn's GM update.

Spoilers
A spoiler titled 'X Only' is intended only for the eyes of the player playing the character X. Please don't read 'em if they're not intended for you - you could spoil some surprises.


Finally, as a general guideline: if in doubt, make a post. Situations do often arise where two people each think they're waiting on the other before they can post. Similarly, if you think you're waiting on someone else, or if you just want to know something before you make an IC post, ask in the OOC. Particularly if it's me. I do forget things, and I do need prodding some times to wake up!

1

Game Rules

I believe we also have some people here who are new to the WFRP rules and/or setting. This is fine, although in both cases I encourage you to read the core book. If there are any sourcebooks that catch your eye and you can't find, send me a PM. If you have a rules question, feel free to ask, but please check your books and see if you can't figure it out first. Remember, depending on time zones it may take me (or anyone else) 24 hours to reply.

Some handy links:
Combat Crib-Sheet (http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/2413588/combat-crib-sheet-pdf-december-2-2010-11-26-am-801k?da=y) - A reference sheet for most things that can happen in combat.
Hit Location Chart (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/Hitlocations.jpg) - a quick reference for when you want to know where you've hit someone.
Imperial Coinage (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/Money.jpg) - useful for understanding the prices listed in the rulebook.

I also have some house rules, which I will include here for completeness' sake. If you're still familiarising yourself with the core rules, don't worry too much about these: they are mostly here to clarify questions of wording, or fill gaps that the core rules just don't cover. I am not re-writing anything.

Miscellaneous House Rules
At Your Mercy: Should one character be at another’s mercy (i.e. in a hold with a knife to their throat/back), the character holding the other hostage may make an attack against them under this condition. The attack will automatically hit the location of the hostage-holder’s choice. The damage is resolved as normal: however, in addition, it triggers a Critical Hit of the same value as if the victim had been at 0 wounds when the attack was made.

This condition applies solely at the GM’s discretion, and cannot be triggered simply by moving into contact with a character and declaring that you are holding them hostage: they must first either be overpowered by force or successfully snuck up upon.

Magic In Melee: Spells with multiple-round casting times require a concentration test every round that the spellcaster is engaged in combat.

Magic missiles may not be cast out of combat, although they may be cast on the wizard’s own attacker/s.

Point Blank Shots
Symmetrically to the -20% penalty for shooting a missile weapon at long range, a shot at Point Blank range (within 6 yards/3 squares) receives a +20% bonus. Pistol-type weapons fired in close combat do not receive this bonus.

Swift Attacks
All-out Attacks and Guarded Attacks can be made in conjunction with a Swift Attack, each remaining a Full Action and allowing the attacker to attack a number of times equal to his Attacks characteristic. The +20% from an AOA only applies to the first attack made; the -10% from a Guarded Attack applies to both attacks.

Critical Hits: ‘Medical Attention’
Wherever the rules specify a condition “until medical attention has been received,” this refers to a successful Heal test.

Mounted Combat House Rules
A rider and mount move as one unit. The rider essentially substitutes the mount's Movement score for his own; the mount acts as an extension to the rider at the rider's Initiative.
Mounts are split into two categories: trained for combat, and not trained for combat.

Failure Modes: Ways To Fall Off Your Horse
In combat, when riding a mount not trained for combat, making any of the following actions requires a Ride Check:
Charge Attack
Disengage
Jump/Leap
If the check is failed, the desired action may not be taken, and a half action is lost. If the check is failed by three degrees or more, the mount throws its rider and bolts: he will require a Stand action to get back to his feet, and may suffer falling damage if the mount is tall enough.
A rider who does not have Ride trained must test Ride (Ride being a Basic Skill) to perform the following actions, regardless of whether his mount is combat-trained:
Run (test at +30)
Jump/Leap
If the check is failed, he falls from the saddle, as described above. If the check is failed by 3 degrees or more, the mount also bolts.
In a situation where an untrained rider is riding an untrained mount, the second list takes priority over the first (i.e. should the rider fail a Ride check to induce his mount to Jump/Leap, he will fall from the saddle regardless of his degrees of failure).
Should a mount be killed while still being ridden, the rider must make an Ag test. A pass means he falls freely to the ground, exactly as if he had been thrown; a failure means he falls under the mount's body. Freeing himself is a full action, requiring a successful Strength test – he cannot stand or move from the spot where he has fallen until he is free.

Fighting From Horseback
When attacking enemies on foot, being mounted grants the Higher Ground bonus (+10%).
A mount counts as another friendly character for the purposes of Outnumbering.
Opponents in combat with a mounted combatant may choose freely to target either the rider or the mount.
One may not use the Dodge Blow skill while mounted.
When making a Charge Attack, a mounted character may make the attack at any point in his movement. The two squares before the attack is made must still be in a straight line, and there must still be at least two squares between the start of the move and the target for the move to qualify as a charge. Using the remaining movement to move on and out of contact does not trigger a free attack from the target.
If the rider made a Charge Attack, a combat-trained mount may make a Charge Attack alongside him. Otherwise, if the mount and rider have moved no further than would be allowed by a Half Move, it may make a Standard Attack; if it has not moved at all, it may make a Swift Attack.
Untrained mounts will not attack alongside the rider.
While mounted, the following actions may be combined with a Half or Full Move:

Aim (missile weapons only)
Standard Attack (missile weapons only)
Cast
Ready
Reload
Use a Skill
Should any of the above be taken as extended actions (e.g. a casting or reload time of more than one Full Action), they require a successful Ride check to avoid automatic failure.

LCP
2013-01-14, 08:32 AM
The Broken Reaches Gazetteer

Our game takes place in a corner of the Border Princes known colloquially as the Broken Reaches. Known for their difficult, rocky terrain and the many small kingdoms that war over the territory, the Reaches are far from any form of civilisation beyond that safeguarded by the local lords. Sheltering in the shadow of the World's Edge Mountains, from the Reaches is it not far to the arid wastes of the Badlands in the south.

Below is the hex map:


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/MassiveMap_zps175e53a0.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/MassiveMap_Legend_zpsc488e09f.png

The scale will be set at one hex being approximately 7 miles long. Therefore, the average movement speed of the party for a full day's march will be three hexes, although this will be significantly affected by terrain.

I will use a Cartesian coordinate system to refer to hexes. To work out the coordinates of a hex, count up through the hex rows to determine the y-coordinate, and then count left to right along the row itself to determine the x-coordinate. You begin the game in hex (5, 20).

Geography
Shepherd's Valley

Shepherd's Valley nestles in the shadow of some of the largest and most impassable rock formations of the Black Karst. Watered by the few streams that flow down from the Raven Hills, most of the valley is still quite wild: it is only around Duke Edouard's capital of Alvarran that the valley people have given up the shepherd's life for more settled agriculture. Coarse jokes about the precise relationship the people of Shepherd's Valley have with their sheep are common in the lands over the hills.

The road that runs through Alvarran, however, is far more cosmopolitan. Funnelled through a narrow cleft in the Black Karst at Pieter's Pass, whoever controls the pass controls half the trade routes to the south. It is also the safest and best-kept road for people coming from the north: in summer, Alvarran is often crowded with travellers and merchants from the different nations of the Old World.

The Raven Hills

Tall, craggy and forbidding, the Raven Hills breed craggy and forbidding folk. Insular and primitive, they have dwelt in the hills for as long as any of the lowlanders can remember. The hills provide poor living, and through much of the Broken Reaches' history the hill tribes have depended upon raiding their neighbours for survival. Many border princes have asserted dominion over them: none have succeeded in changing their nature. More than a few have met their end trying, their bones picked clean by the ravens that give the hills their name.

Life in the hills is short, and the hill tribes have developed a morbid religious sensibility, venerating Morr above all other gods. Some outsiders who have visited have brought back queer tales of strange rituals and customs quite divorced from any worship of Morr known in the civilised lands of the north.

The Uplands

Situated on a shelving plateau to the north-east, the Uplands sit with their back to the World's Edge Mountains. On a clear day, it is said that from the towers of Bunthafen one can see the smoking peak of Thunder Mountain - the volcano the dwarfs call Karag Dron.

Like Shepherd's Valley, the Uplands are a gateway to the north. Unfortunately, the road that runs north from Bunthafen runs close to the mountains: merchants from Tilea and the Empire prefer to take the Alvarran road, where they have less chance of being abducted by Night Goblins and do not have to walk in the shadow of an active volcano. Those who do come by the east road come infrequently and in armed caravans. Dwarfs sometimes come with them: the World's Edge are the dwarfs' home territory, and it is said that they were the ones that built the road in the days of their empire.

The Black Karst

A forest of sharp-toothed limestone crags, the Black Karst is a strange place. Named for the sooty streaks that run through the stones - perhaps the relics of some ancient fire or volcanic eruption - the rock formations of the Karst jut up from the ground like the broken teeth of a shark, creating a maze of twisting paths between them. Where light can penetrate the natural labyrinth, stunted trees grow in the poor soil, their saplings sprouting in cracks and crevices on the higher flanks of the rocks.

An easy place for an ambush, and an even easier place to get lost, the Karst has been a natural barrier between the warring princes of the Broken Reaches since time immemorial. There is no living to be made in the shadow of the stones, and so they remain a wild place. Those who wish to cross do so either through Pieter's Pass, or by boarding a boat at Putbad and travelling down the Azril.

The Giant's Teeth

While the living in the Raven Hills in hard, the living in the Giant's Teeth is non-existent. Taller still than their neighbours, their sharp crags are little more than barren rock, scoured clean from the west by sandstorms coming off the Pale Waste. Precipitous and perilous, they are prone to frequent rockslides. There are no known passes through these hills, and the locals in the surrounding lands tell stories of all manner of monsters living there to frighten their children.

The Downlands

The jewel of the Broken Reaches, the Downlands are a fertile flood plain surrounding the broad sweep of the river Azril as it makes its way down from the Karst and into the Bracken Mere. Border Princes have warred over these lands for as long as anyone can remember; fortunately, their 'battles' have generally been too small and petty to do any lasting damage to the land itself.

Sitting in the centre of the Downlands is the town of Savonne. The largest and richest for miles around, it sits on a lode of gemstones that some say the dwarfs first opened up, centuries ago. Dominating the fertile countryside and sitting squarely in the centre of overland and river-bound trade routes, it is the prize all border princes aspire to. Despite the formidable natural defences of the Black Karst and the Giant's Teeth, most of them do not hold onto it for very long.

Thornwood

South of the Downlands, the Thornwood sprawls over a far larger region than it ought to. Covering rolling hills and hollows with a carpet of forest, many princes have seen it as a resource to be harvested. Most of them have been disappointed: the trees do not grow as tall or as straight as honest northern trees, and their wood splits and warps at the least opportunity. Most attempts to settle in or around the forest have met with limited success, as the soil is surprisingly poor. This is particularly pronounced in the forest's southern reaches, where the woods are wildest and humans seldom walk.

Despite its ill reputation, the road from Savonne runs south through the Thornwood. Perhaps this is simply because it has no choice, other than to plunge into the Bracken Mere and sink. The recent discovery of gold at Handrich's Cross, however, has given many people an incentive to take the forest road.

The Bracken Mere

A vast swamp that sprawls between the Giant's Teeth and the Thornwood, the Bracken Mere is where the river Azril ends its life. By its border with the Thornwood, the marsh remains wooded - as one goes west, however, the trees die off, giving way to endless reed-beds.

There are no certain paths through the Mere - or if there are, the local guides who know them keep them determinedly secret. Local legend says that the Mere was the site of a great battle in ancient times, and that the bog is still choked with the bones of the fallen. The truth of this is up for question, but the local swamp-skimmers do sometimes dredge up strange bronze blades and rotted chariot-wheels from the mire.

The Hidden Vale

Nestled between the rolling hills of the Thornwood and the jagged rocks of the Black Karst, the Hidden Vale represents one last strip of fertile land before the badlands of the south. Although tiny, its size and position make it highly defensible, and the recent discovery of gold at Handrich's Cross has made it highly profitable too.

Funnily enough, throughout much of the history of the Broken Reaches, the Hidden Vale has gone untenanted by any major warlord. Some attribute this to its obscurity, claiming that it is possible for a man to walk within half a mile of the Vale on either side without even realising it is there. Others say there is something unwholesome in the water or the soil that drives people away. The inhabitants of the Vale do have a reputation for congenital madness, but most attribute this to inbreeding.

The Dead Hills

Rising clear of the Thornwood's southernmost reaches at the bottom of the Hidden Vale, the smooth, rounded summits of the Dead Hills are a rocky, sand-blown desert. No-one knows why nothing grows there, but one does not have to travel far before even the lichen begins to recede.

People tell tales of the lost city of Nath, of sorcerers of the Black Caliph who blighted the hills with their magic. Others speak of the Lost Library, and the meddling of wizards. Only one thing is agreed: the Dead Hills are a fearful, desolate place where only a fool would tread.

The Iron Claw Hills

An arid expanse of scrubland, broken by rocky ridges and low, rolling hills, the Iron Claw Hills are the last boundary between the rest of the Reaches and the Badlands beyond. As such, they are infested with greenskins - namely, the Orcs of the Iron Claw tribe, and their goblin retainers. This is the fearsome clan that spawned Gorbad Ironclaw, and if the orcs beyond the hills were to unite, they would pose a military threat far greater than any border prince. Thankfully, they seem mostly content to fight among themselves - nevertheless, for humans living in the Iron Claw hills, periodic greenskin raids are a fact of life.

Last Water

Sheltered by a crescent of high ridges from the surrounding Iron Claw Hills, Last Water is an island of green vegetation and fresh water in the midst of an arid wasteland. So called because it is the last opportunity for travellers to stock up on water before entering the Badlands proper, the black soil of the region is curiously fertile in comparison to its neighbouring lands. A few small streams flow down off what the locals call the Black Hills, making some limited agriculture possible.

The peace of Last Water, however, is fragile. With the Iron Claw Hills before them, the Pale Waste to the west, and the limitless expanse of the Badlands at their back, the people of Last Water must be ever on their guard for greenskin raids. Two narrow roads connect them to the wider world - without these arteries of trade, life in Last Water would be even harder than it already is.

The Pale Waste

A waterless desert of blown sand, the Pale Waste is remarkable for being even more lifeless and desolate than the Badlands surrounding it to the west. Few landmarks in the Waste stay in the same place for long. Without a skilled navigator, it is easy to wander for days within a few miles of the same point, and it is difficult to find a skilled navigator who will willingly enter the Waste.

Among the people of the Reaches, it has a fearful reputation, the locus of all kinds of peasant myths and superstitions. People speak of ancient ruins hidden by the shifting sands, relics of the lost civilisation of Nehekhara. More than one adventurer has been tempted into the Waste by the lure of Nehekharan gold. Few have ever returned.

The Powers That Be
Jarl Rorik Wolf-Risen
A fearsome Norseman, Jarl Rorik has a reputation as a warrior of great strength. The Jarl has established himself as a bandit lord among the tribes of the Raven Hills: their raiding ways suit him well.

Duke Edouard
An expatriate Bretonnian of noble birth, Duke Edouard has held onto power in the Broken Reaches for some time - an achievement not to be sniffed at. He is responsible for extinguishing the careers of several other local lords, and rules with a firm hand.

Count Eberhard Groz
A man of common blood from the Empire, Eberhard is a career soldier with a talent for command. He has secured his kingdom around the old fortress of Bunthafen: those who think a man of his breeding is not fit to rule over others will have a hard time dislodging him.

Prince Belehir
A High Elf of Ulthuan, Belehir was known only as a deadly sword for hire - until, that is, the town of Savonne was engulfed in the frenzy of violence known as the Beheading of the Wolf. The peasants say that when the bloodshed finally ceased, Belehir was the only one found alive in the throne room. What he saw inside the mad duke's keep he has never revealed, but he accepted the rulership of Savonne with a strange sense of duty. Since then, he has kept the town safe, despite several attempts by his neighbours to topple him. He is widely distrusted, and many ask what business an elf has ruling over honest men.

Grand Commander Mathau Evatt
A leader of the Knights Mariner, few understand what brought this templar of Manaan this far into the arid, landlocked south. Nonetheless, here he is: he and his followers have founded the stronghold of Manaan's Keep, and seem to see it as their sacred duty to nurture the flow of trade in the region. Many say the Grand Commander is a little eccentric, which as everyone knows means mad and rich.

Capitano Muzio Sforza
A Tilean condottieri of supposedly high-born origins, Captain Sforza is a young and ruthless contender for rulership of the Marches. A military commander with a fine strategic mind, he is matched only by his dazzling wife - an object of envy for many of the other lords.

The above is already known by anyone with Common Knowledge (Border Princes), and easy to learn for anyone who doesn't. Further details about individuals and places will be dispensed on a case-by-case basis, through information-gathering, Knowledge checks, and sometimes by default for characters born in the region. Don't assume that everything is the same as it was described in the original thread! (http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif)

1

Table of PC character sheets:
{table]RossN|Adelbert Schreiber (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14526242&postcount=4)
Sodalite|Wolfgang (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14526884&postcount=5)
TheSummoner|Sieghard (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14533016&postcount=9)
-Sentinel-|Elsabeth Holt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14551058&postcount=71)
LeSwordfish|Ludovic Stubbs (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14849066&postcount=475)
Northern Lad|Viggo Hirtzel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15238111&postcount=948)[/table]

Further details of the various NPCs encountered by the party in their travels can be found in the NPC index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14853532&postcount=506).

Details of the town of Alvarran can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14785854&postcount=385).

And don't forget, you can keep your own notes in the wiki! (http://border-princes.wikia.com/wiki/Border_Princes_Wiki)

LCP
2013-01-14, 08:36 AM
Timekeeping

This game will keep track of a detailed IC calendar. This will function both to track the time of year, and as a countdown to the end of the game: once three IC years have passed, the game ends. Most major NPCs will have timetables that they will adhere to in the absence of PC interference. Concentrating on one small region may leave you blind to threats evolving outside that region.

Note that this means I fully expect your characters to spend a fair amount of downtime doing unremarkable things, where days or weeks can be glossed over in a couple of posts. Three years of real-time PBP play would take forever! If you have some trade skills or whatnot, and feel like applying them to earn some money in a town you pass through - or anything of that ilk - then go right ahead. If the rest of the group want to go on an adventure and you want to take some time out, then that's fine too, although you should be advised that an adventure might take a long time to be resolved due to the pace of PBP play.

We'll be using the Imperial Calendar, since it is the most detailed. Below are the details of the Imperial year:

The Imperial Calendar

The Imperial year lasts 400 days. It is divided into twelve months, with six holidays not considered part of any month. These are picked out in bold.

{table] Hexenstag | Witching Day
Nachexen | 32 days
Jahrdrung | 33 days
Mitterfruhl | Spring Equinox
Pflugzeit | 33 days
Sigmarzeit | 33 days
Sommerzeit | 33 days
Sonstill | Summer Solstice
Vorgeheim | 33 days
Geheimnistag | Day of Mystery
Nachgeheim | 32 days
Erntzeit | 33 days
Mittherbst | Autumn Equinox
Brauzeit | 33 days
Kaldezeit | 33 days
Ulriczeit | 33 days
Mondstill | Winter Solstice
Vorhexen | 33 days[/table]

Every Old World culture has many holy days and festivals scattered throughout the year. Details of these can be found in the Tome of Salvation (p.144), a sourcebook on religion and priestly careers. Local practices vary widely, but I'll be trying to remember the big ones and maybe throw in a few regional ones too.

The Imperial Week

The Imperial week lasts eight days.

{table]Wellentag
Aubentag
Marktag
Backertag
Bezahltag
Konigstag
Angestag
Festag[/table]

My GM posts will have date stamps - if an IC day goes past and I forget, remind me!

RossN
2013-01-14, 10:38 AM
Adelbert Schreiber

Career: Scribe
Age: 29
Star Sign: Vobist the Faint - Sign of Darkness and Uncertainty
Birthplace: A Fortified Town in Averland
Appearance: 5'7", 135 lbs, brown hair, grey blue eyes, missing tooth.

WS:(36) BS: (31) S:(31) T:(33) Ag:(45) Int:(46) WP:(38) Fel:(36)

A:1 W:11 4 SB:3 TB: 3 M: 4 Mag:0 IP: 0 FP: 3 2

Skills: Academic Knowledge (History), Common Knowledge (The Empire), Gossip, Speak Language (Reikspiel), Perception, Read/Write, Secret Language (Guild Tongue), Speak Language (Breton), Speak Language (Classical), Speak Language (Tilean), Trade (Calligrapher)

Talents: Linguistics, Acute Hearing, Resistance to Poison

Trappings:
Knife, a Pair of Candles, Wax, 5 matches, Illuminated Book, Writing Kit, Common Clothing, Cloak, Dagger, Backpack, Wooden Tankard & Cutlery, Short Sword, One Weeks Dry Rations, Bow, Quiver of 9 arrows and 4 Gold Crowns, 25 Schillings

Mail Shirt, pouch containing 72 Gold Crowns


XP:
Earned: 400
Spent: 400

Advances:
+ 5% to Int (Free Advance)
+ 5% to Fel
+ 5% to Int
+ 5% to Ag
+ 5% to WP


Background & Personality:
Adelbert was born in Grenzstadt, Averland the second oldest child and only son of the prestigious Schreiber family of scholars. His older sister Gabrielle became a Priestess of Verena and a career in the universities of Nuln, the church or perhaps even the colleges of magic in Altdorf seemed open for the young man. Unfortunatly his father's harmless gambling habit became, well less harmless. The Schreiber family went into debt and while Adelbert's younger sisters retained enough clout to marry well Adelbert himself could no longer afford to study at Nuln. Fortunately he was more than well read enough to become a scribe first in Grenzstadt, then Averheim.

Adelbert is actually a very good scribe especially mastering foreign languages but he is not thrilled by his dull life copying books. At the very least he would prefer to be writing his own work rather than simply transcribing that of others. He has travelled south to the Princes in the hopes of appealing to the vanity of a local noble and being paid to act as their chronicler, and perhaps write a book on the local ruins that would be the toast of Nuln. Anything would be better than his dusty office back in Averheim.

Perhaps thanks to his elder sister Adelbert has a definite interest in the gods and his studied much of them, especially minor and regional deities - though the streak of rogue in him is impressed by Ranald. His personal specialty (other than languages) is ancient history and he is modestly famous in Averland for translating an Ancient Reman history from Classical to Reikspiel.

In person Adelbert is on the short side of average and slender, with nimble fingers (he is justly proud of his clean, flowing style of writing.) He is fond of attractive women, well read ones for preference and is rather vainer than might be expected for a scribe. This has led to him rarely smiling with his mouth open because he is very concious of the front tooth he lost in a tavern brawl when an elegant blonde lady turned out to have been married to a milita sergeant. He has a deadpan, sarcastic and self deprecating sense of humour and tends to value it highly in others.

Sodalite
2013-01-14, 01:01 PM
Wolfgang

Career: Thief
Age: 26 years.
Birthplace: the village of Jaardorf
Appearance: 5'6", 135 lbs., dark brown hair, green eyes, and a ruddy face.

WS:(41) BS: (36) S:(26) T:(36) Ag:(41)*/**/**** Int:(40)*** WP:(23) Fel:(34)***
*Shallya's Mercy **Free Advance ***Switched ****100 XP Advance
A:1 W:11 SB:2 TB:3 M:4 Mag:0 IP:0 FP:1

Skills: Common Knowledge (The Border Princes), Concealment, Evaluate, Gossip, Perception, Pick Lock, Read/Write, Scale Sheer Surface, Search, Secret Signs (Thieves), Silent Move, Speak Language (Reikspiel)

Talents: Alley Cat, Suave, Super Numerate, Warrior Born

Trappings: 9gc, 6s, 10p, Common clothing, dagger, Leather Jerkin, Lock-picks, Sack, sling bag (blanket, Wooden cutlery, wooden tankard), tattered cloak

Backstory & Personality:
Wolfgang was born the village of Jaardorf in its years before the arrival of Eberhard. A bastard born to unknown, itinerant father, he yet showed himself to be something of a charming boy, which made hiding his unfortunate heritage somewhat easier to hide. Not so charming, but as he became older, the skill he showed with a knife in his family's slaughterhouse was intimidating. However, the nature of Wolfgang's birth was discovered during the negotiations between Jaar and Eberhard, and he was quickly expelled from his family home. He descended into a life of burglary, stealing from the high rooms of the inns and either keeping the loot for himself or fencing it off to his half-sister, who he had maintained contact with. After several years of this business, though, he was catch by an unusually paranoid mark, and fled from Jaardorf. He ran to the west, and eventually encountered the Karl's wagon as it was entering Pieter's Pass. He hopped aboard, and now the future seems unknowable...

Edit:
My sincerest apologies for the relatively short post, I've been rather lost for words as of late.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-14, 04:46 PM
Brand

Shallya´s mercy on my Fel roll, and free advancing on my WP

Charcoal burner :

WS:(30) BS: (39) S:(39)* T:(36) Ag:(33) Int:(36) WP:(37) Fel:(31)

A:1 W:10 SB:3 TB: 3 M: 4 Mag:0 IP: 0 FP: 3

Skills:Common Knowledge(Border Princes), Gossip, Speak Language(Reikspiel) Concealment, Drive, Haggle, Outdoor Survival, Perception, scale Sheer Surface, Search, Secret Signs(ranger)

Talents, Flee!, Very strong, Resistance to disease, Sturdy

Trappings: 3 torches Tinderbox, Hand weapon(hatchet).



* enhanced by 5 trough talent

Current wounds 8/10

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-14, 06:01 PM
He is 5' 4" Ash Blonde, Blue eyed, Weights 160 pounds, and has snaggle teeth


Brand is a short, sturdy strong willed, discreet man originally from painford, he is wary, and never jumps to conclusions, making him seem more than a little indecisive, however once he has decided on a course of action it is hard to make him deviate from it.

He is not a confrontational men, and is not above disappearing into the swamps near the forest where he makes his living in order to wait some problem or other die down.

He does not know who his father or mother is, but he was taken in by an elderly couple with no children who offered a house and food in exchange for work, they treated him fair and inherited their hut when they died. As far a he is concerned, he had a unusually good family and does not care who his "real" parents are.

He isn´t very religious, and while he respects the gods, he is not specially devout to any of them.

His sense of right and wrong is a little too strong for his own good.

He was hired by Adelbert as a guide and saw it as an opportunity to travel a bit and earn a few coins, Specially since now his parents are dead he doesn´t really have much of a reason to stay.

LCP
2013-01-15, 08:13 AM
All princes still adhere to the web of relations that was rolled up for them (so Rorik is allied to Edouard is allied to Eberhard is allied to Mathau is allied to Muzio). Some details of why may have been changed here or there. To learn specifics, however, you will need to seek out that information IC: the feuds and politicking of border princes is generally beyond the day-to-day horizons of a commoner's knowledge.

No more OOC posts until TheSummoner has posted his character sheet, please. Then feel free to post away.

TheSummoner
2013-01-15, 01:21 PM
Consider TheSummoner's character sheet posted.

Sieghard
Career: Mercenary
Age: 28
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 155 lbs
Appearance: Brown Hair, Blue Eyes, Long scar on his left arm.
Star Sign: Wymunt the Anchorite (Sign of Enduring)
Doom: When the bell doth toll, it doth toll for thee.
Experience: 0/300 (Current/Total Earned)

Main
{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
36|44|41|31|37|36|34|29[/table]

Secondary
{table]A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
2|11/12|4|3|4|0|0|2[/table]

Armor Points - Full Leather Armor, Mail Shirt
{table]Head:|1
Body:|3
Arms:|1
Legs:|1[/table]

Base Stats

Main
{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
31|39|36|31*|37|36|34|29[/table]

Secondary
{table]A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
1|12|3|3|4|0|0|2[/table]

*Shallya's Mercy

Advance Scheme
{table]WS|BS|S|T|Ag|Int|WP|Fel
5/10|5/10|0/5|0/5|0/5|-|0/5|-[/table]

Secondary
{table]A|W|SB|TB|M|Mag|IP|FP
1/1|0/2|-|-|-|-|-|-[/table]


Advances
Mercenary: +5 WS, +5 BS, +1 Attacks

Talent-Based: +5% Strenth (Very Strong)

Skills
Common Knowledge (Brettonia, The Border Princes), Dodge Blow, Gamble, Gossip (+10% Mastery), Haggle, Perception, Ride, Secret Language (Battle Tongue), Speak Language (Reikspiel), Swim

Human: Common Knowledge (The Border Princes), Gossip, Speak Language (Reikspiel)

Mercenary: Gamble, Common Knowledge (Bretonnia), Dodge Blow, Ride, Gossip, Haggle, Perception, Secret Language (Battle Tongue), Swim

Talents
Human (Random): Very Strong, Night Vision

Mercenary: Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Sharpshooter

Trappings:
Wearing: Shirt, Breeches, Belt, Worn Boots, Leather Skullcap, Leather Jack, Leather Leggings, Mail Shirt, Hooded Cloak (Dark Blue).

Weapons: Sword, 2 Daggers, Shield, Crossbow (28 Bolts)

Misc:
Backpack - Blanket, Wooden Tankard, Wooden Cutlery Set, Rope (10 Yards), Tattered Cloak, Rations (9.5 Days), 2 Waterskins (Full), 2 Bottles of Copher Vintage (Spiced Arabyan Wine), Healing Draught, Coin Purse (4gc, 8s, 8p)

Background:
Sieghard was born in Danford, a small village on the contested boarder of Jarl Rorick's lands and the territory controlled by Lord Halvard. He was the middle of 5 children. His father was a member of the local militia.

When Sieghard was 12, men loyal to Lord Halvard raided Danford. Sieghard's father was slain, his mother and siblings either killed, taken, or fled. When the raid was over, Sieghard picked through the wreckage. He found a scant handful of coins and a sword abandoned in the ruins. He swore revenge against Halvard and those who served him.

Three years later, Lord Halvard would be slain in battle against his rivals in The Border Princes. His death would have absolutely nothing to do with Sieghard.

With his home destroyed and family lost, Sieghard joined with a few of the other survivors and traveled north. They stole as they needed to and robbed when they could get away with it. Eventually the group found themselves in a small town. Some found new lives, Sieghard and a few others joined up with a band of mercenaries.

Sieghard had no experience. He was not expected to survive long. Only the fact that he already had his own (stolen) equipment had convinced the mercenaries to take him. Whether through determination or pure luck, Sieghard managed to survive, even when the mercanry company was destroyed on a poorly chosen job.

Having no other skills, Sieghard continued to work as a sword for hire. Sometimes with a group, sometimes independantly, he sold his skills to whoever would pay.

His fortunes turned sour yet again, Sieghard found himself headed towards the village of Elmridge in look for a bit of work. The most recent mercenary company he served with was all but wiped out so he is going there in hopes of making a bit of money on his own until he can find a new group to sign on with.

LCP
2013-01-15, 09:58 PM
Fantastic! I think that's all of us - Paperback seems to have vanished from the recruitment thread without warning, so I assume he's dropped out.

This is an episodic, sandbox-y game, so it'll be easy for him to drop in if he shows up. Alternatively if you guys would like to recruit a new 5th party member that'll be fine too - I find 5 is a good party size. Let me know if you have a preference.

The OOC is now properly open. If you have any more questions about the starting setup, ask away. Same goes for rules questions - this combat is intended to work as a learning experience for everyone who's new to the rules, so please don't feel hesitant to ask stuff.

Sodalite
2013-01-15, 10:45 PM
Given Wolfgang's lack of a weapon, low strength, and low willpower, I'm planning on having him scramble for anything sharp enough to hurt that might be lying around the wagon, but I'm unsure of what kind of action that would be.

LCP
2013-01-15, 11:03 PM
Ah, sorry, I should have checked your character sheet more thoroughly. Looks like you've only credited yourself with the trappings from your career: everyone does also start with a few "default" trappings, indicated in the character creation section before the career pages. Included in those is a hand weapon of your choice.

Unless you want to search Karl's possessions, there is nothing pointy lying about in the cart.

EDIT: Looking over the sheets, CJ, looks like maybe you missed this too? The default trappings are mostly things like clothes and eating utensils, but they do include a weapon and some cash.

Sodalite
2013-01-15, 11:16 PM
I can't seem to find where these trappings are listed in the book, and given the number of crowns seems to vary, I'm likewise uncertain of how many of those I have.

LCP
2013-01-15, 11:24 PM
They are on page 20, bottom of the first column. It's just a lonely bulletpoint so it's quite easy to miss. Everyone gets:

Common clothing consisting of a shirt, breeches and worn boots
A tattered cloak
A dagger
A sling bag or backpack containing
A blanket
A wooden tankard
Wooden cutlery
A purse containing 2d10 gold crowns
A hand weapon (sword, axe, club, whatever - it's your choice, they are mechanically the same)

Sodalite
2013-01-16, 12:13 AM
I suppose I'll go ahead and roll for those crowns, then...

[roll0]

With that, I'll edit in the basic trappings into my character, then get to my IC post a bit later on tonight.

LCP
2013-01-16, 04:08 AM
Combat map, as promised:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zps1bae7e06.png

WFRP has a slightly confusing convention when using combat maps, so remember - 1 square = 2 yards. The easy way to remember this is that it pegs the distance you can move as a Half Move equal to your movement value in squares, meaning the movement distances are rather like the tabletop game.

This map represents everyone's position at the start of the round. Tree trunks occupy one square; they offer LOS cover and cannot be moved through. It is easy enough to jump over the sides of the cart that you can disembark freely in all three directions.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-16, 07:14 AM
Yeah I forgot, it has been a long time since my last WFRP character, sorry.


I will chose an axe as my weapon, like my hatchet it is more of a tool, but it gets the job done.


coins:
[roll0]

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-16, 07:25 AM
Can I try to stampede the horses in the general direction of the beastmen to barrel in to them?

Essentially Brand is trying to stop Adelbert from joining the fray and getting himself killed by creating confusion among the beastmen?

LCP
2013-01-16, 07:28 AM
You can give that a shot if you like. Karl the wagon-driver has the reins, so you could ask him - talking is a free action within reasonable limits. If you want to try to scare them yourself I'd say you need to move up to the front of the cart (the square next to Karl) and spend a half action making scary noises.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-16, 07:37 AM
Ok, how about I try to do both at the same time by moving to the front and spending my half action of scary noise by screaming as loud as I can for the driver to "barrel into the beastmen, if we try to run they will get us", possibly trying to get him to react without really thinking?

Essentially trying to get him to react by just directing the already stampeding horses?

LCP
2013-01-16, 07:43 AM
Sure, no reason why not. Be sure to make an IC post describing it. Once I have that and Sodalite's actions, I'll resolve the round.

Any thoughts from anyone about what to do regarding a fifth player?

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-16, 07:49 AM
I am ok with things being kept as they are,

But I would not be against posting int the original at the world building thread, saying there is a open slot in the campaign.

I think it is interesting that the people involved in the campaign followed the world building process.

RossN
2013-01-16, 08:22 AM
If there is interest I'm certainly up for a fifth player.

Sodalite
2013-01-16, 09:30 AM
Would the actions I've taken so far require a skill check?

LCP
2013-01-16, 09:58 AM
Nope - getting off the cart is simple enough not to carry any risk of failure :smallbiggrin:

Noticed that Brand missed his Perception check, so let's roll that here: [roll0] - fail

And now for some NPC rolls.

1

Drive test for Karl to resist Brand's brilliant plan: [roll1] - pass

First Beastman charging the stranger: armed with a felling axe (poor craftsmanship great weapon)
[roll2] - miss
[roll3]+3

Second Beastman charging the stranger: armed with a one-handed axe
[roll4] - miss
[roll5]

Third Beastman charging the stranger: as above.
[roll6] - miss, even with 3:1 outnumbering. They're not very good at this
[roll7]

Dodge Blow for the stranger: [roll8]

LCP
2013-01-16, 10:28 AM
And here is an updated map:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zpsd5e8f64c.png

What has happened here is:

Karl Readies his crossbow as a free action (having the Quick Draw talent), then loads it as a full action.
Sieghard, Adelbert and Wolfgang's specified actions follow.
The man on the road Readies his sword as a half action (not having Quick Draw), and takes a half move backwards.
The beastmen take their actions. Three of them make Charge attacks against the stranger, the other three make Full Moves.
Brand's specified actions follow.

---

Start of a new turn: Karl is first, and spends his turn bringing the mules under control.

So now we're back to you guys for round 2.

This is how each turn's update will follow. I try to get all the relevant information into the IC post, so that between the IC post and the map you can work out what's going on; sometimes I take some small liberties with the initiative order when writing up the IC in order to make it flow better. Hopefully it's still clear. Please tell me if anything's confusing - this is my usual format for combat, but I'm happy to make adjustments.

EDIT: And to answer CJ's question, I'm afraid Brand couldn't have readied his axe during round 1. You have two half actions (one full action) per turn; Brand took a half move to the front of the cart, which is a half action, and then spent another half action scaring the mules, so he had no half actions left. Readying a weapon is a half action unless you have the Quick Draw talent, in which case it is free.

1

On non-combat related matters:



But I would not be against posting int the original at the world building thread, saying there is a open slot in the campaign.

I think it is interesting that the people involved in the campaign followed the world building process.

While that's a good idea, I think we got everyone we're going to get from the original thread. Aside from Phaedrus (who declined to join) and Paperback (who's gone missing), you guys were the sum total of people there who said you might be interested.

I have a player from one of my other games who might be keen to join; alternatively, we could nab someone from the second world-building thread, or just throw it open to the public.

RossN
2013-01-16, 03:53 PM
Might be interesting to have a female or non-human character (or both) in the group to give us more variety and open up some roleplaying possibilities.

If your player has something different in mind LCP I'd be cool with that though - keeness is a good quality! :smallsmile:

TheSummoner
2013-01-16, 05:41 PM
Nah, keep it human. Male or female I'm impartial to, but you can't trust a non-human.

Oh, and Sieghard would like to try to confirm whether or not the "beastmen" are actually men in masks. He passed his perception test by quite a bit and if it helps, he also has Night Vision. He's looking for anything that might be useful, but he's checking that in particular since Adelbert brought it up.

LCP
2013-01-16, 09:07 PM
@TheSummoner: that works for me. Results will be in the IC post.

NPC rolls for this round:

Having an Attacks characteristic of 2, the stranger makes a Swift Attack on the 'beastman' with the felling axe. If he kills him in one hit he'll divert the second blow to one of the others.

[roll0] - miss
[roll1] (Strike Mighty Blow)

[roll2] - miss
[roll3]

Assuming they are alive, the three beastmen strike back. Each one makes an All-Out Attack.

Big axe:
[roll4] (+20 for All-Out Attack, +20 for outnumbering 3:1) - miss
[roll5]+3

Little axes:
[roll6] (+20 for AOO, +20 for outnumbering 3:1) - miss
[roll7]

[roll8] (+20 for AOO, +20 for outnumbering 3:1) - hit (right leg)
[roll9] - 5 wounds after armour + TB deduction.

Dodge Blow for the stranger: [roll10] - failed.

The 'beastman' Adelbert injured strikes back with a Standard Attack, followed by a Parrying Stance.

[roll11] - miss
[roll12]

The 'beastman' a little way behind that one makes a Charge Attack on Adelbert.

[roll13] (+10 for charging, +10 for outnumbering 2:1) - hit (left leg)
[roll14] - 7 wounds after TB.

The 'beastman' who Sieghard shot does not like the look of a four-against-one battle and takes a Run action to move twelve squares back into the woods.

Start of Round 3:

Karl cannot draw a line of sight to the fleeing 'beastman' without passing through a tree trunk. Instead, he lays the crossbow down and straightens out the cart.

LCP
2013-01-16, 09:30 PM
Combat map:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zps949feb97.png

Red numbers mark wounds taken in this encounter.

On with round 3!

EDIT: Oh, and in case there is any confusion: moving diagonally is fine.

TheSummoner
2013-01-16, 10:24 PM
Heh, may have failed the intimidate pretty hard, but that's another realy good hit from Sieghard.

LCP
2013-01-16, 11:03 PM
Nice rolling from both of you. The combat by the trees is suddenly looking pretty unpleasant for the ambushers.

The guy Sieghard will charge took a Parrying Stance, so gets a chance to block the incoming attack:

[roll=Parry]1d100[roll]

If he fails, it's a +4 crit to his right arm: [roll0]

LCP
2013-01-16, 11:04 PM
stupid broken parry roll [roll0] - wow, he parried!

On the new player thing: so, shall I ask the chap from my other game if he's interested or are there others you'd like to invite?

TheSummoner
2013-01-16, 11:13 PM
Bah, lucky bastard.

If your friend wants in, I have no objections to it.

Edit: Am I able to ready sword and shield in the same action or would that require two separate ready actions? If so, I want to ready the shield as well. If not, the actions as posted are fine and I'll quick-draw it next round.

LCP
2013-01-17, 04:18 AM
Each item you want to take out requires a separate Ready Action (although you can combine putting something away and drawing something in the same hand as one Ready Action). You have Quick Draw, though, so your Ready Actions are free actions: you can ready the shield this round, no problem.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-17, 05:58 AM
I don´t have access to the books right now, how far can I run and attack if I try to charge?

LCP
2013-01-17, 06:09 AM
8 squares. Last 2 squares must be in a straight line in order to charge.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 10:58 AM
Hey guys! I've been offered the spare spot.



Might be interesting to have a female or non-human character (or both) in the group to give us more variety and open up some roleplaying possibilities.
As a matter of fact, I was planning to play a female character, as all of my currently active characters are male. :smallwink:

1

Rolling up a human...

WS: [roll0]
BS: [roll1]
S: [roll2]
T: [roll3]
Ag: [roll4]
Int: [roll5]
WP: [roll6]
Fel: [roll7]

W: [roll8]
FP: [roll9]

Talents: [roll10] (Savvy) and [roll11] (Fleet Footed)

Starting gold: [roll12]


Messed up my rolls...

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 11:00 AM
Take 2:

WS: [roll0]
BS: [roll1]
S: [roll2]
T: [roll3]
Ag: [roll4]
Int: [roll5]
WP: [roll6]
Fel: [roll7]

Looks like a wizard. Wizarding is pretty much all these stats are good at. :smalltongue:

@ LCP: I don't suppose I can re-roll my Savvy talent? The Apprentice Wizard career, which I intend to take, already offers it.

I think I'll bring back Elsa, my fiery Bright Order apprentice from an aborted game. Now I need an excuse for her to be travelling alone, as Tome of Sorcery clearly states that apprentices are closely monitored at all times.

RossN
2013-01-17, 11:13 AM
Welcome -Sentinel-/Elsa. :smallsmile:

A Bright Order apprentice sounds dangerous interesting!

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-17, 12:01 PM
Try rolling for careers like we did, you may end up with something interesting.

even the setting is somewhat randomly generated.

TheSummoner
2013-01-17, 12:05 PM
Yeah. It's already been house-ruled that you can choose your career if you like, but roll anyways. You might just end up with something you like better.

Edit: You're also allowed to bump one of your low-roll stats up to 31, so don't forget that.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-17, 12:34 PM
roll twice, you can roll, either at the basic module table, or the career compendium table

http://www.scribd.com/doc/31060487/Career-Compendium-WHFRP

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 12:35 PM
Yeah. It's already been house-ruled that you can choose your career if you like, but roll anyways. You might just end up with something you like better.
I can try, but my character will suck at any other career. Plus, I already have a good wizard character.

[roll0] - Rogue
[roll1] - Grave robber


Edit: You're also allowed to bump one of your low-roll stats up to 31, so don't forget that.
I know. I'll go with WS.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-17, 03:49 PM
LCP, also allow to swap two numbers from your rolls.

LCP
2013-01-17, 07:49 PM
@ LCP: I don't suppose I can re-roll my Savvy talent? The Apprentice Wizard career, which I intend to take, already offers it.

Sorry, rolls is rolls. You chose Apprentice Wizard, after all.

Also, ouch. Nice stats :smalltongue:

Sodalite: We're just waiting on Wolfgang's actions to conclude the round.

RossN
2013-01-17, 07:53 PM
Sorry, rolls is rolls. You chose Apprentice Wizard, after all.

Hey -Sentinel- if you swapped your WP and Fel scores you could make your character a pretty good Rogue.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 07:55 PM
It's okay. Do you have rules for selling back starting equipment if I feel like swapping my hand weapon for a much-cheaper staff? I'll be using that gold for things that don't have rules and are mostly for flavor, such as a coat and a very nice hat. :smallwink:



Hey -Sentinel- if you swapped your WP and Fel scores you could make your character a pretty good Rogue.
I already play that kind of character in LCP's other game. I want to try something new.

LCP
2013-01-17, 08:04 PM
Do you have rules for selling back starting equipment if I feel like swapping my hand weapon for a much-cheaper staff?

You already get a quarterstaff as part of your Apprentice Wizard trappings.

In fact, looking at the Apprentice Wizard career, I notice that the talents list says Savvy or Very Resilient. Seems to me you ought to take Very Resilient on those grounds, and end up with both.


I'll be using that gold for things that don't have rules and are mostly for flavor, such as a coat and a very nice hat.

Describe this coat and hat to me, and if they are appropriate to your social standing, you can swap them in as part of/in place of (respectively) your common clothes and tattered cloak for free. I'm against selling starting items back in WFRP, it seems to go counter to the design philosophy of character creation.

Sodalite
2013-01-17, 08:12 PM
My apologies for my relative inactivity. I'll get to posting in the IC immediately.

Edit: Likewise, my apologies for the briefness of the post.

In addition, have these been exceptional damage rolls?

Second Edit: Also, welcome -Sentinel-.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 08:12 PM
You already get a quarterstaff as part of your Apprentice Wizard trappings.
I want one of Best Craftsmanship :smalltongue:. Some vagabond's walking stick won't do for the proud Elsa.



I'm against selling starting items back in WFRP, it seems to go counter to the design philosophy of character creation.
Good point, actually, I agree. I'll still drop the sword; in the words of some guy in the Dark Heresy book, it is a blunt tool compared to the edge of my character's mind.

Character sheet almost finished. You'll be the judge of whether Elsa deserves her additional clothes for free.

LCP
2013-01-17, 08:22 PM
I want one of Best Craftsmanship

No Best Craftsmanship stuff for starting characters, sorry. Even sticks.

One thing you should consider, before you finalise your character sheet - I remember you expressing interest in the political intrigue side of things. Be aware that as a wizard some of those doors may be closed to you.

LCP
2013-01-17, 08:25 PM
Double posting 'cos I missed something, and need to get Sodalite's attention - Sodalite, when you roll max damage there's an exploding dice effect called Ulric's Fury. Test WS to confirm it, with all the modifiers of the original attack (so +10 for charging) - if you pass, you get to add another d10 to your damage roll. If that comes up 10, you get to add another d10, and so on.

Sodalite
2013-01-17, 08:32 PM
Alright, here goes.

[roll0] vs. 51

If it's a further hit, [roll1]

TheSummoner
2013-01-17, 09:04 PM
In addition, have these been exceptional damage rolls?

Sieghard rolled 9 on the D10 part of his damage rolls both times. One of them was parried, but the other was enough to singlehandedly send one of the attackers running.

Yeah, we've had some pretty good luck so far.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-17, 09:06 PM
One thing you should consider, before you finalise your character sheet - I remember you expressing interest in the political intrigue side of things. Be aware that as a wizard some of those doors may be closed to you.
Politics isn't about popularity, it's about being useful to the right person. :smallwink:

LCP
2013-01-17, 09:10 PM
Ah, bad luck there Sodalite.

OK, so, NPC actions.

The stranger Swift Attacks again against the bandit with the felling axe.

[roll0] - miss
[roll1]

[roll2] - miss
[roll3]

The bandits:

The bandit in the square adjacent to both the stranger and Sieghard makes a Standard Attack on the stranger, and takes a parrying stance.

[roll4] (outnumbering bonus is gone) - miss
[roll5]

The bandit with the felling axe (the middle one of the three fighting the stranger) makes another All-Out Attack on the stranger, presuming they are both still alive.

[roll6] (+20 for AOO) - and that's a bad miss
[roll7]+3

The bandit Wolfgang just charged turns around and makes a Standard Attack on Wolfgang, followed by a Parrying Stance.

[roll8] - miss
[roll9]

The bandit Sieghard wounded makes a Standard Attack on Sieghard, followed by a Parrying Stance.

[roll10] - another miss
[roll11]

The bandit Brand charged and Adelbert wounded acts before Brand, so makes a Standard Attack on Adelbert, followed by a Parrying Stance.

[roll12] - hit!
[roll13] - 8 wounds.

Start of Round 4:

Karl jumps down from his cart, leads the mules over to a tree and tethers them to a sturdy branch.

LCP
2013-01-17, 09:13 PM
Adelbert took a Parrying Stance last turn, which allows for a parry which I forgot to include in the rolls there: [roll0]

RossN, this is going to be a critical hit if it's not blocked (+4 to the body). Do you want to spend one of your daily Fortune Points to re-roll your parry? I will wait for a reply before the IC update goes up.

RossN
2013-01-17, 09:17 PM
Adelbert took a Parrying Stance last turn, which allows for a parry which I forgot to include in the rolls there: [roll0]

RossN, this is going to be a critical hit if it's not blocked (+4 to the body). Do you want to spend one of your daily Fortune Points to re-roll your parry?

Definitely! :smalleek:

RossN
2013-01-17, 09:20 PM
Parry re-roll:

[roll0]

LCP
2013-01-17, 09:23 PM
Nicely done. Do remember to mark wounds lost and daily fate points spent on your character sheet.

Here is the updated combat map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zps84f68cbe.png

IC post will follow shortly, and then it's back to you guys.

TheSummoner
2013-01-17, 09:42 PM
Would it be possible to number the enemies on the map when there are more than one of a specific type (then refer to them by number in the OOC)? Might make it easier to tell which ones are prepared to parry and which ones can't dodge or parry because they made all-out attacks and whatnot.

Not so big an issue this time since most of them went to parrying stance, but it might make it a bit easier to tell the battle situation in the future.

Edit: Also, Sighard couldn't have done Quickdraw on the shield last turn since you can only do it once per round and he already did it on the sword. Makes no difference since nothing hit him, but I thought I should bring that to your attention.

LCP
2013-01-17, 10:09 PM
Absolutely - will do. In the meantime, the only guy with a different weapon is the guy with the felling axe, who is the guy in the middle of the three in contact with the stranger. He's also the only one who hasn't taken a parrying stance this turn.

Speaking of which, I need a parry for the chap facing Adelbert.

[roll0] - Adelbert's on fire!


Edit: Also, Sighard couldn't have done Quickdraw on the shield last turn since you can only do it once per round and he already did it on the sword. Makes no difference since nothing hit him, but I thought I should bring that to your attention.

Ah, thanks - good catch.

RossN
2013-01-17, 10:14 PM
Speaking of which, I need a parry for the chap facing Adelbert.

[roll0] - Adelbert's on fire!

You're not the only one surprised! :smalleek:

Heh, I'd been considering Adelbert eventually moving onto an Initiate career - maybe this a sign from Sigmar (or Ranald!)

LCP
2013-01-18, 05:52 AM
Parry for the bandit Brand hit: [roll0] - ouch, failed by the tiniest sliver.

1

NPC actions:

The stranger goes for one more Swift Attack on Bandit 2 (numbers will be clear on the map), the guy with the two-hander. If he gets him in one, Bandit 1 will be his overflow target.

[roll1] - hit, left arm
[roll2] - 5 wounds

[roll3] - hit, right arm
[roll4] - 3 wounds

Bandit 1 attacks Wolfgang. Standard attack, Parrying Stance.

[roll5] - miss
Wolfgang's Parry: [roll6]
[roll7]

Bandit 2 attacks the stranger. He's done with the All-Out Attacks; this turn it's a standard attack and a parrying stance, same as the others.

[roll8] - miss
[roll9]+3

If the stranger is still standing, Bandit 3 attacks him too. If he's down, Bandit 3 hits him while he's down. If he's dead, Bandit 3 attacks Sieghard.

[roll10] - miss
[roll11]

Bandit 4 doesn't like his position and uses the Disengage action to fall back one square, breaking contact with Sieghard but keeping contact with Adelbert.

Bandit 5 attacks back at Brand.
He makes a Feint (half action): [roll12] vs. [roll13] - failed
If he wins that opposed roll, he eliminates Brand's chance to Parry. If he loses, Brand can still parry.
He then makes a Standard Attack - for which I forgot to roll.
[roll14]
[roll15]

---

Start of Round 5:

Karl draws his falchion as a free action with Quick Draw, takes a half move around the back of the tree, and stabs Bandit 5 with a Standard Attack.

[roll16] - miss
[roll17]

LCP
2013-01-18, 05:56 AM
The to-hit roll I forgot for Bandit 5: [roll0]

Looks like he gets his revenge - following the parry and damage rolls in the post above, that's 8 wounds on Brand.

Here is the map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zps1af4e1a8.png

Note that if Sieghard wants to pursue Bandit 4, any move action that takes him out of contact with Bandit 3 except a Disengage will provoke a free attack from Bandit 3.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-18, 06:59 AM
Just to be sure I understood right, you rolled my parry for me. that it?

LCP
2013-01-18, 07:09 AM
Just to be sure I understood right, you rolled my parry for me. that it?

Yes. I always roll PCs' parries/dodges/what have you when doing the NPC rolls, to save there being another round of back-and-forth posting. Generally I will stop to ask if you want to use a Fortune Point on a failed parry or dodge if the attack in question is about to inflict a critical hit, but otherwise I tend to press on. If you ever find that I've glossed over something in this manner where you'd want to stop and use one of your re-rolls (or anything similar), don't hesitate to ask me to go back and edit.

In this case, the bandit tried to rob you of your chance to Parry with a Feint (an opposed WS test). He failed, but Brand's Parry subsequently failed anyway.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-18, 07:19 AM
makes sense.

What are the rules for a full attack?

RossN
2013-01-18, 07:29 AM
makes sense.

What are the rules for a full attack?

An All Out Attack is a Full Action and adds 20% to your WS for the turn but because you are concentrating on striking a blow you can't parry for the turn.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-18, 11:19 AM
Name: Elsabeth Holt
Race: Human
Age: 24
Career: Apprentice Wizard – Bright Order

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/Elsa_zps58ac38c7.png

Description: Elsabeth is a young woman of average height and dark complexion, with a wealth of unruly, soot-stained red hair that no comb or soap seems to have touched in weeks. Her most striking features are her amber eyes and the swirling red tattoos adorning her narrow face. The tattoos extend to most of her body, but her face is the only part showing any skin – the rest of her clothes consist of a well-worn black leather coat reaching her knees, open at the front; decidedly unladylike horsehide pants; a belt made of interlocking brass links; thick leather gloves of the fire-resistant kind used by blacksmiths; high boots; and a wide-brimmed hat that appears to have caught fire at least twice in the past.

As one can expect of a Bright wizard, Elsa is fiery, passionate, stubborn and reckless. She walks and acts like she owns the place and never sugar-coats her words; of her noble upbringing, she seems to have retained only the arrogance, not the manners. Overconfident and eager to prove herself, she is the kind of person who would never back down from a challenge, no matter how foolish or pointless.


Background: Born the sixth child of a minor Altdorf noble house that was too impoverished to have any power but too proud to mingle with commoners, Elsa’s marriage prospects were rather few. Being raised with only male siblings had given her a wild, rebellious temperament that did not help matters. She first revealed her magical potential at age fourteen, when she foiled an attempt to marry her off to a suitor three times her age by setting the man’s forked beard aflame. At that point, her parents gave up on her, scratched her off the family tree and sent her off to the Bright College, where wizards from all the Empire and beyond studied the Lore of Fire.

Elsa turned out to be gifted with a strong will and seemingly instinctive control over the red wind of Aqshy, but proved hopeless when it came to anything remotely theoretical, owing to her intellectual laziness and lack of discipline. No amount of chores would keep her from talking back to authority figures, neglecting her studies or sneaking into the boys’ dormitory at night – in fact, punishing her appeared to make her only more aggressively unruly. Things took a turn for the worse when she got into magical duelling; a tradition that is tacitly encouraged among Bright Order students, but in which she would engage with somewhat excessive enthusiasm, causing more property damage and visits to the infirmary than any other Bright College apprentice in living memory.

Disaster struck near the end of Elsa’s junior apprenticeship, when she challenged a fellow student, Theo (with whom she had an escalating feud for reasons long forgotten by both) to a secret duel at midnight on the roof of the college building. She turned up at the duel half-drunk and with only tenuous control over her powers. The short but incredibly violent exchange of spells ended with Theo burned to a crisp and Elsa on the run from her masters. The fugitive apprentice is now looking for a place away from the Imperial law’s long reach, and the Border Princes seem like such a place.

Two months ago
Midnight…

Lurching drunkenly on the rain-slick tiles of the roof, acting more on instinct than skill, Elsabeth dodged the narrow stream of blue fire at the last second and only just managed to keep her footing. With her mind, she reached out to Aqshy – the Red Wind was rather slippery in this kind of weather – to shape it into a hurried counter-attack; she just needed to buy a few heartbeats to regain her bearings. Her retaliation took the form of a blinding yellow light meant to mimic a fireball. It succeeded in making Theo throw himself flat on the roof, his cloak and staff raised defensively in front of his face. Elsa used that precious time to plant her feet more solidly, slam the butt of her staff on the tiles and channel Aqshy into something more powerful.

An alarming smell of burning leather reached her nostrils and a searing pain dawned around her left ear. Her concentration broken, she released the Red Wind from her grasp and took off her wide-brimmed hat. It was, as she half-expected, on fire – her dodge had not quite been fast enough. Swearing like a sailor, she slapped it repeatedly against her leather coat until the fire was put off, leaving a blackened area where the brim and the crown met. So it was not made of real dragon hide after all. She would need to have a little chat with that seller tomorrow.

She felt the tug on the wind of Aqshy before the spell hit, but had no time to prepare for it. Her staff suddenly became hotter, so hot that she could feel it even through her leather gloves. She dropped it with a startled yelp, looked up, and found herself facing Theo without her channelling implement. The young man’s wet, unruly blond hair was plastered to his forehead; only one bright blue eye was visible. His staff pointed straight at her face and crackled with aethyric energy. The combatants paused a dozen yards away from each other, panting from the longest duel between apprentices in recent Bright College history. Both of them were pushed to their physical and mental limits, their clothes torn and singed, sporting a variety of burns that would have brought down anyone not attuned to Aqshy’s fiery touch. The lights of Altdorf spread out in every direction under and around them, but the college grounds were dark and silent, as it was well past curfew.

Both of them knew who had the advantage now. Theo might as well have been aiming a loaded crossbow at an unarmed person. Not that a staff was necessary to cast spells, but after all the wine Elsa had had tonight, fine manipulation of the Aethyr would be difficult and reckless without one.

“Yield already, Elsa,” sighed Theo, exasperated. “You wanted this stupid duel, I gave it to you, and I won. You’re taking this whole argument to a ridiculous–”

Thankfully, Elsa did not need finesse, only brute strength – in magical terms, she was something of a thug. All she did was send a sudden wave of the Red Wind towards Theo, whose staff was still gathering the ambient Aethyr. Theo’s sentence died in his throat when he realized that he was now channelling more magic than his staff could handle.

“Boom,” said Elsa solemnly.

Theo’s staff exploded in a blinding yellow light, sending splinters of wood in every direction. The young man was blown off his feet with a shout of alarm. When the burst of hot air reached Elsa a split second later, it felt more like a physical blow than a wind. She only barely remained standing, for which she was glad because she thought she must look pretty damn impressive, right now on the roof, with her leather coat billowing in the rain and her red hair flying free. Her only regret was that there was no one to see her. She put her still-smoking hat back on, retrieved her staff from the nearest edge of the roof from which it had nearly fallen and immediately began to channel Aqshy into a fireball. She had never once lost a magical duel against a fellow junior apprentice, and she was sure not starting now.

“Alright, either get up or give up, you wimp,” she snarled at Theo. Casting a spell at a downed target was against the rules, as was casting while you were down. Elsa was usually no stickler for rules, but duelling was serious business.

Theo made a gurgling sound and, still lying down, drew the Red Wind to himself. Cheater, was Elsa’s immediate, furious thought. She released the fireball. It raced towards its target and, though it must have taken only a heartbeat to cover the distance, it was long enough for Elsa to realize what a mistake she had made.

As the fireball illuminated Theo, Elsa had a glimpse of his bloodied face and ravaged hands. The explosion of his staff had taken several of his fingers, at least one of his eyes and much of his nose and jaw. His last spell, Elsa just had time to figure out when she saw burns forming on his hands, was a standard cauterization spell to stop blood loss. His mouth broken and full of blood, Theo was unable to conjure up a shield against the fireball. He was too wounded to even roll out of the way. His remaining eye widened in horror.

The fireball hit him full-on and lifted him off the surface of the roof. He flew, on fire from head to toe, and ended his course against a chimney in a sickening crack of bones. He came to rest in a sitting position, presumably – hopefully – dead before he hit the ground.

Elsa just stood there in the rain, stunned, until Theo was but a charred skeleton grinning at her.



{TABLE]Primary Characteristics|%
Weapon Skill|31
Ballistic Skill|26
Strength|30
Toughness|31
Agility|29
Intelligence|45
Will Power|38
Fellowship|34
[/TABLE]

(Shallya's Mercy on Weapon Skill. Strength and Agility swapped around.)


{TABLE]Secondary Characteristics|
Attacks|1
Wounds|3 / 10
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|5
Magic|0
Insanity Points|0
Fortune / Fate Points|2 / 1[/TABLE]



{table]Skills|%
Academic Knowledge (Magick)|45
Channelling|48
Common Knowledge (the Empire)|45
Gossip|34
Magical Sense|48
Perception|45
Read/Write|45
Search|45
Speak Arcane Language (Magick)|45
Speak Language (Reikspiel)|45[/table]



{table]Talents
Aethyric Attunement
Fleet Footed
Petty Magic (Arcane)
Savvy
Very Resilient[/table]


Armor: None

Trappings: Quarter staff, dagger, common clothing (incl. overcoat and wide-brimmed hat), backpack, tent, rations for 6 days, water skin, bottle of brandy, pair of dice, 20 yards of rope, vial of oil, brown hair dye, printed copy of The Practical Pyromancer, Third Edition, tattoos
Gold: 6 gc, 18 s and 9 p



XP: 75 / 375
Advances: +10 Int, +5 Fel, +1 Mag

LCP
2013-01-18, 09:47 PM
a wide-brimmed hat that appears to have caught on fire at least twice in the past

Please say it has "WIZZARD" written on it :smallbiggrin:

Just waiting on Wolfgang to conclude this round. Sentinel, I will see about bringing your character into play some time after this combat is done.

Sodalite
2013-01-18, 10:05 PM
Missed again, oh well. I think I'll actually try mathematically which one works out to being more likely to score a hit, Aim+Attack, or Attack+Parry.

Edit: Well, according to this (http://anydice.com/program/1c3f) AnyDice calculation, I've made the wrong decision this turn.

LCP
2013-01-18, 10:11 PM
NPC rolls!

Bandit 3 tries to parry Sieghard's hit: [roll0] - succeeds

The stranger makes another Swift Attack against Bandit 2:

[roll1] - misses
[roll2]

[roll3] - misses by one
[roll4]

This turn, Bandit 2 has a parry to use: [roll5]

Let me just see how this turns out before I make the bandits' rolls.

LCP
2013-01-18, 10:19 PM
OK, bandits.

Bandit 1 takes a Standard Attack and a Parrying Stance against Wolfgang:
[roll0] - miss
[roll1]

Bandit 2 takes a Standard Attack and a Parrying Stance against the stranger:
[roll2] - hit
[roll3]+3

[roll4] - dodged

Bandit 3 takes a Standard Attack and a Parrying Stance against Sieghard:
[roll5] - miss
[roll6]

Sieghard has a free parry from having a shield in his off-hand: [roll7]

Bandit 4 takes a Standard Attack and a Parrying Stance against Adelbert:
[roll8] - miss
[roll9]

Bandit 5 is not keen on his current position, and moves one square “north” by Disengaging from Adelbert and Brand.

----

Start of Round 6:

Karl Aims and makes a Standard Attack on Bandit 5:

[roll10] - miss
[roll11]

A remarkably ineffective turn - nobody took any wounds. IC post will be quite short to reflect.

EDIT: Here is the map:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zps9a33809c.png

LCP
2013-01-18, 11:03 PM
A parry and a potential +4 critical to the left arm for Bandit #4:

[roll0] - failed
[roll1] - that is an 8 on the table.

Bandit #4's left arm is now "a dangling mass of bloody meat"
He drops anything he's holding in that hand (which is nothing at the moment)
He has a 20% chance of dying from Blood Loss each round until medical attention is received
He uses the Sudden Death rules for any further critical hits (any critical effect of 5 on the table or above = dead; lower-value crits have no effect.).
If he survives the combat, he must pass a Toughness Test or lose the arm permanently from the elbow down.

Adelbert continues to enjoy the favour of Khorne Sigmar.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-18, 11:12 PM
Please say it has "WIZZARD" written on it :smallbiggrin:
Is that a Discworld reference or something? Most of those will be lost on me, as I don't read that series. :smalltongue: (It's somewhere on my to-do list, like far too many things.)


Sentinel, I will see about bringing your character into play some time after this combat is done.
Great! Thanks.



Edit: Well, according to this (http://anydice.com/program/1c3f) AnyDice calculation, I've made the wrong decision this turn.
Daaaamn, this is an interesting website... I'm tempted to use it, but it would be a bit munchkinny.

LCP
2013-01-18, 11:20 PM
Edit: Well, according to this AnyDice calculation, I've made the wrong decision this turn.

Not sure I follow what the calculation is saying. A parry doesn't deal damage to your opponent, it blocks an incoming blow. I guess if you're counting incoming damage blocked equivalently to damage inflicted on your opponent? But then the weighting on the parry roll should be 1d10+3.


I'm tempted to use it, but it would be a bit munchkinny.

It's just maths, I don't see a problem.


Is that a Discworld reference or something?

Yes. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rincewind)

Sodalite
2013-01-18, 11:23 PM
That was just a misunderstanding of what a parry did, on my part. I figured that a successful parry would deal damage, but I suppose that's wrong.

LCP
2013-01-18, 11:28 PM
Yeah, a successful parry just stops an opponent's hit. If you're purely looking at the amount of damage you put out, Aim+Attack is strictly superior to Attack+Parrying Stance.

But, as long as you don't have (A) a weapon or shield in your off-hand (giving you a free parry) or (B) the Dodge Blow skill, then an All-Out Attack is strictly superior to Aim + Attack - you get +20 instead of +10, and without a Parrying Stance you wouldn't have been able to parry anyway.

When your advance scheme lets you get an Attacks characteristic greater than 1 (like Sieghard and the stranger), then you can start using Swift Attacks, which allow you to attack a number of times equal to your attacks characteristic. That's generally the best offensive option there is, if it's available to you.

Of course, defence is important - you saw what just happened to Bandit #4. There are multiple actions you can take that sacrifice hitting power to increase your own survivability. Generally which actions you want to take depend on your circumstances.

TheSummoner
2013-01-19, 12:11 AM
Question! What time is this battle taking place? Because at this point I'm considering spending a fortune point take another swing at this guy.

LCP
2013-01-19, 12:12 AM
I'd say about 9pm. Your Fortune Points will roll over at midnight.

TheSummoner
2013-01-19, 12:15 AM
Then I see no reason to reserve both of them.

The rules say I can use them to re-roll a test. If I used one to re-roll my roll to hit (and passed), would you allow me to keep the (unused) damage roll or would you want me to re-roll that?

LCP
2013-01-19, 12:18 AM
Re-roll the damage roll, please. Otherwise the foreknowledge of what you were "going to" roll for damage would be influencing your choice to re-roll the WS test.

TheSummoner
2013-01-19, 12:22 AM
I figured as much. Still, it never hurts to check.

And I would've done more damage with the new roll anyways... If my hit roll hadn't sucked again.

LCP
2013-01-19, 01:49 AM
Bandit #1 tries to parry Wolfgang's blow: [roll0] - fails

(In unambiguous situations such as these, it's fine for you guys to roll the bandits' parries as part of your posts, just as I roll your parries as part of mine. The only complications arising are if there are multiple incoming attacks between which an NPC might need to choose which to parry).

If he fails, Wolfgang can roll to confirm Ulric's Fury there. Even without it, looks like it could be a nasty critical.

Sodalite
2013-01-19, 01:57 AM
I rolled a ten, again? I didn't even notice.

Attack roll: [roll0] for WS 41

If it hits, again, Damage roll: [roll1]

LCP
2013-01-19, 02:05 AM
Wow! OK, the guy already only had one wound left. Wolfgang's hit does 18 wounds. Unfortunately, the critical modifiers cap out at +10.

*looks at IC thread*
And you hit him in the head too.

[roll0] - that's a 10


Killed in whatever spectacular or gore-drenched fashion the player or GM cares to describe

Sounds like you decapitated him to me.

Sodalite
2013-01-19, 02:12 AM
That sounds perfectly fine, though I like to imagine that the slice just happened to be between the vertebrae, so the whole thing would be more bloody than gorey.

Is it appropriate that a bandit, wearing the mask of a ram, was brutally killed by a man trained in the slaughtering of goats?

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-19, 05:38 AM
But, as long as you don't have (A) a weapon or shield in your off-hand (giving you a free parry) or (B) the Dodge Blow skill, then an All-Out Attack is strictly superior to Aim + Attack - you get +20 instead of +10, and without a Parrying Stance you wouldn't have been able to parry anyway.


Any weapon, or specifically a parrying weapon?

LCP
2013-01-19, 05:51 AM
Any weapon; parrying weapons give you bonuses to the test.

LCP
2013-01-19, 09:12 PM
Brand readies his axe, before attacking with his hatchet.

If you check the map, CJ, Brand is no longer in reach of anyone to attack - he would have to move into contact. Since there's no sense in moving into contact when you don't have actions left to attack, I'll interpret that as him readying his axe and holding his ground until next turn.

NPC rolls

The stranger: tries to finish off Bandit 2 with one more Swift Attack.

[roll0] - hit (head)
[roll1] - 4 wounds - a +1 crit.

[roll2] - miss
[roll3]

Bandit 2's Parry: [roll4] - failed

Again, I'd like to see how this turns out before deciding the details of the others' actions.

LCP
2013-01-19, 09:14 PM
Critical roll: [roll0] - Bandit 2 cannot take any actions for 1 round.

The three remaining bandits who can act Disengage, each moving away as far as they can with a Disengage action (which, given their Move of 4, is 4 squares).

-----

Beginning of Round 7

Karl has no interest in chasing them, and returns to the cart.

EDIT: Here is the map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/LordChilipepa/ElmridgeRoad_zpseeb40346.png

The thing about Disengaging is that while you get out of melee without your opponent getting another hit in, unless your opponent is very slow you are always going to end your Disengage move still inside his charge range. It's a calculation about how willing you think your enemy is to pursue you. So, if you guys want to try to stop them escaping, they're still well in range for a charge attack - your charge range is 8 squares.

Bandit 2 has his wound total at 10, even though he has taken more than 10 wounds. This is because he only had 10 wounds on his profile, so he's now at zero: he can't go any lower.

TheSummoner
2013-01-19, 09:44 PM
Did you roll to see if bandit 4 bleeds out from his arm being a bloody pulp?

LCP
2013-01-19, 09:49 PM
I did not! D'oh.

Needing an 80 or lower to stay alive: [roll0]

...oh dear, Bandit 4.

Will edit the IC post.

EDIT: Done, and the map above is now corrected too.

RossN
2013-01-19, 09:57 PM
Holy moly, Adelbert actually killed a bandit! :smalleek:

Not bad for a Scribe!

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-20, 08:31 AM
Can I throw my hatchet at a bandit when they turn to flee?

LCP
2013-01-20, 09:00 AM
You can, but not very well.

Thrown weapons have the Specialist Weapon Type (Throwing) and require a talent to use properly. To throw your axe (which is not a throwing axe), you'd be throwing it as an Improvised Weapon, which has a range of 3 squares and has damage SB-4 (so in your case, 1d10-1).

The bandits are all currently more than three squares away from you, so you'd need to take a half move after them to get into range, then throw the axe with a Standard Attack.

TheSummoner
2013-01-20, 11:29 AM
I think I'll roll that common knowledge check here so I don't have to edit my IC post.

[roll0]
(Pass on 36 or below)

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-20, 12:29 PM
knowledge roll, Int 36

[roll0]

Sodalite
2013-01-20, 02:56 PM
Int of 40

[roll0]

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-21, 04:56 PM
Not sure if this should be posted here or in the IC thread, but brand will wait until everyone takes what they want from the bodies before scavenging, he won´t try to get dibs on anything because they are not his kills

-Sentinel-
2013-01-21, 05:16 PM
Hooray, the PCs now work for the Sheriff of Nottingham! :smallbiggrin: This very much fits the tone of WFRP.

The Merry Men being murderers also fits the tone of WFRP.

TheSummoner
2013-01-21, 05:32 PM
So... We take from the rich and the poor and the random passers by and give to the duke after pocketing a portion that certainly wouldn't be missed?

RossN
2013-01-21, 06:27 PM
Well so long as Adelbert doesn't have to compromise his principles he should do fine. :smallsmile:

(Also makes me wonder what the Maid Marian equivalent will be like...)

TheSummoner
2013-01-21, 06:29 PM
Irene Sforza?

Sodalite
2013-01-21, 06:37 PM
Wait, I'm sorry, but where is this comparison to Robin Hood coming from again?

-Sentinel-
2013-01-21, 07:30 PM
Wait, I'm sorry, but where is this comparison to Robin Hood coming from again?
It may be too early to tell, but hearing Jager, I suspect that the Duke's demands of timber from Elmridge amount more to a protection racket than taxation. :smalltongue:

LCP
2013-01-21, 07:54 PM
Hooray, the PCs now work for the Sheriff of Nottingham!

I hope you all brought your spoons.

LCP
2013-01-22, 02:32 AM
Moving things on under the assumption that Brand will follow the lead of his "boss". As always, stop me if I'm incorrect and I will edit.

One question about that actually - did you guys agree that beforehand? I'm just wondering whether poor Adelbert will be expected to pay wages to Brand.

Sentinel, your introduction will be coming soon.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-22, 05:23 AM
Yes, in one of the previous threads when we were trying to find reasons for the charcter to go adventuring and working together, Me and RossN agreed that he would hire me as someone with local, and wilderness surviving knowledge.

It is purelly a roleplay arreangement, I just assume that part of my initial money was given to me by Adelbert.

RossN
2013-01-22, 06:50 AM
Phew! :smallsmile:

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-22, 08:22 AM
We never did discuss the specifics, such as duration of the contract.

Although we knew it didn´t involve fighting, cause I was to be just a guide, and I would not leave him in the middle of the road, so It would be at least until we arrive at whatever destination we are going to.

We can set this now, or just wait until a suitable roleplaying opportunity appears?

otherwise I can see "this wasn´t in the deal" and "I should get a raise" becoming brand´s catchfrases as the group gets involved in increasingly extraordinary and dangerous situations

Sodalite
2013-01-22, 09:58 AM
Trained Search, +30: 70

[roll0]

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-22, 11:07 AM
Brand meticulously searches every nook and cranny he can, to make sure he won´t miss anything, and to give him time to think, it seems the re willo be some umpleasantness ahead and the thought makes him a little queasy, he is after all, just a charcoal burner.

"the question whom does the forest belongs to?" foremost at his mind, images of elfs, fairies and hostile forest monster springing into his mind from old childhood stories.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-22, 11:45 AM
Wrong thread, C.J.

Whenever I join, there's a strong chance I won't be on your side, guys :smalltongue:. This should be interesting.



Sentinel, your introduction will be coming soon.
Can I assume my character knows the situation in Elmsridge?

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-22, 12:14 PM
Wrong thread, C.J.


Fixed, thanks for the heads up.

TheSummoner
2013-01-22, 02:20 PM
"this wasn´t in the deal"

Jager: "I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

RossN
2013-01-22, 02:25 PM
Damn, I was literally just writing my post with Adelbert going out to keep watch when Sieghard got there first.

Heh, I like the idea of Brand as underpaid sidekick.

TheSummoner
2013-01-22, 02:45 PM
Eh, Sieghard is the best armed. If there's gonna be conflict, it makes more sense to put him where it would start.

Edit: He's also unscratched and would be able to hold out on his own the longest if need be.

RossN
2013-01-22, 02:55 PM
True, though I wanted more to see if cut get information out of the locals (maybe that peasant girl.) A longshot yes but still. Also Adelbert doesn't have the Perception skill so he isn't as good at searching as the others.

But yeah Sieghard is probably the more intimidating figure.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-22, 02:57 PM
Heh, I like the idea of Brand as underpaid sidekick.

I can see the comical appeal in it, but he has above average inteliggence and central to his description is the fact he has a sense of right and wrong too developed for his own good.(The main reason he tried to "save" adelbert from the "beastmen instead of trying to convince the cart driver to just turn away out of danger").

the last one also means that depending on what happens in the village he may do something stupid. What is the procedure if a character dies, do I drop out or just roll a new one?

LCP
2013-01-22, 07:45 PM
Just a note – this test is based on the Search skill, not Perception. Brand still succeeds, however, since it's a basic skill.

Search Results:

As previously mentioned in the IC, the long-house has two rooms. The one you enter by the front door is the “parlour”, containing the hearth and the dining table. The one through the partition wall is a kind of small, ground-level bedroom.

Below is a list of the principal contents of each room (that you find).

Parlour

There is a small larder built into a recess in the wall, on the far side from the hearth. It is separated by a kind of wooden cupboard door and contains:
Two smoked rabbits
Half a wheel of tough cheese
Two large loafs of rye bread
A pot of dry oats
A barrel of ale, half-empty.
A small cask of dried, sugared dates on a high shelf. The cask does not look like it is made of Elmwood timber and has a strange scrawl of foreign letters on the side that even Adelbert cannot read: it is a different alphabet. At a guess Adelbert would think the characters look Arabyan.

The rest of the room contains:
A plain table with three chairs.
An assortment of furs and goat-hides used as rugs.
A black iron cooking-pot and kettle
Wooden plates and horn-handled cutlery.
An old coat and a woolen cloak, hanging on nails hammered into the wall
A pair of knee-high work boots, quite worn.

Bedroom

Wooden bed-frame with straw mattress and woolen bedclothes.
A small water-butt, about two-thirds full.
A pair of tallow candles on a wooden ledge, both about half-used and quite dribbly.
Some intricate wood-carvings on the ceiling beams, centred around a stylised pair of antlers.
A walking-stick with its handle carved into the shape of a stag's head.

The bedroom also contains a low chest, which contains:
Three folded sets of clothes, mostly drab and practical wear.
A fine hat with some very faded feathers in it.
A couple of smooth stones with holes in.
At the very bottom, a wooden box containing 40 copper pieces and 15 silver pieces - a mixture of coinage from multiple parts of multiple countries. There is also one gold crown with the mark of the Reikland.

IC post coming shortly.


~


Can I assume my character knows the situation in Elmridge?

Your character will be a recent arrival (just slightly earlier than the other PCs), so no.


What is the procedure if a character dies, do I drop out or just roll a new one?

If your character dies and you want to stay in the game it'll be fine to make a new character. Right now, though, you still have Fate Points you can burn as buffers against death.

Sodalite
2013-01-22, 10:05 PM
No! This isn't good!

Edit: I might even consider using some Fate on this, if I can!

Second Edit: By that, I meant to ask if can use a Fate point to reroll this? And if I can, would apply to both rolls or only one?

RossN
2013-01-22, 10:12 PM
Poor Gant! :smallfrown:

I didn't roll a Perception check; Adelbert was a little preoccupied.

LCP
2013-01-22, 11:29 PM
No! This isn't good!

Edit: I might even consider using some Fate on this, if I can!

Second Edit: By that, I meant to ask if can use a Fate point to reroll this? And if I can, would apply to both rolls or only one?

Unfortunately, Fortune Points can only be used to re-roll characteristic tests. Damage rolls (and similarly casting rolls for wizards) can't be re-rolled.

Your blow there does 8 wounds (4+2+SB(2)), less Gant's TB of 3 = 5 wounds. Not even enough to put him in crits, I'm afraid. Do you want to take another swing?

TheSummoner
2013-01-22, 11:34 PM
Does Sieghard's perception test from before still count for picking out Elsa from the crowd or does he need to roll a new one?

LCP
2013-01-22, 11:37 PM
Ah, I forgot about that - sorry, yes, Sieghard's pre-existing perception check will work fine for spotting Elsa.

Sodalite
2013-01-22, 11:46 PM
6 Damage, actually. I include his SB in the first roll. And I guess I will, since I certainly can't leave Gant with a one-third chopped neck.

Should I roll the extra d10 again this time as well?

Edit: Okay, assuming that I do, I think that might be enough to do him in, though I'm not sure.

LCP
2013-01-22, 11:49 PM
Yep, the +d10 applies as long as he's Helpless, so it applies to every blow.

LCP
2013-01-22, 11:51 PM
8 more wounds, by my reckoning. That is a +1 crit to the head.

[roll0] - he is disoriented and loses a half action in the next turn (but he's not fighting back). Still no fatal injury. Another swing?

Sodalite
2013-01-22, 11:55 PM
Yeah. Not sure if I should double post, or just edit my latest post and do rolling the here, though.

Edit: Whoop, nevermind, TheSummoner posted.

Second Edit: Wolfgang...isn't going to be quite the every again after this. Even I'm rather wishing I hadn't scored that critical earlier. Wolfgang really isn't sorted out for hacking through necks like this, even though he somehow feels obligated.

LCP
2013-01-22, 11:56 PM
Go for the roll here. The OOC is always a handy repository for dice rolls.

LCP
2013-01-23, 12:02 AM
A +9 crit this time.

[roll0] - that's a 10. Chalk up two decapitations for Wolfgang.

Sodalite
2013-01-23, 12:05 AM
Oh gosh, if a head-count starts to be a thing, I'm not sure what to think. One part of me says it would funny, but the other too grossed out to say anything.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 12:10 AM
Naturally Sieghard is going to make Wolfgang feel worse about this =P

Sodalite
2013-01-23, 12:16 AM
Would it be possible to have Wolfgang pass out due to emotional stress right about now? The man's got a willpower of 23 and it feels like this would be a lot for him to take all at once.

LCP
2013-01-23, 12:27 AM
Would it be possible to have Wolfgang pass out due to emotional stress right about now? The man's got a willpower of 23 and it feels like this would be a lot for him to take all at once.

Absolutely, he's your character! Make him behave how you want.

Something players in my other game sometimes do is voluntarily test WP against the gain of an Insanity Point (or sometimes to decide what actions their PC will take), if they feel the circumstances justify it. I don't like to hand out Insanity Points too liberally for stuff like this (seems too much like me telling you what your character thinks) but if you want to do something like that, go for it.

Sodalite
2013-01-23, 12:35 AM
Yeah, that sounds about right for something to do. I'll roll that here.

[roll0] vs. the aforementioned willpower of 23.

Edit: Well, that was a roll.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 12:44 AM
Well, Sieghard failed his shot. If someone runs after him (and ends next to him), do they count as being in melee combat? (thus forcing him to either disengage or take a free attack?)

LCP
2013-01-23, 12:48 AM
Yes.

You can of course use a Fortune Point to re-roll that BS check if you like, too. They refreshed at midnight.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 12:51 AM
Know what? At this point, I think I might have to.

I really get the sense that taking that guy down would be the only thing keeping a riot from breaking out.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: Well that one sucked marginally less. I don't suppose I could use the other one to re-reroll it? Not sure I would want to, but it's worth considering if the option is there.

LCP
2013-01-23, 12:56 AM
Unfortunately you cannot re-roll a re-roll.

This is going to be interesting. I will wait on Brand and Adelbert's actions, then put up Jager's and the crowd's on their initiative step.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 12:58 AM
Fair enough, like I said, I wasn't sure I'd want to throw away my buffer fortune point anyways. Just wanted to know whether or not that was an option.

Well, looks like this is going to be a riot. Nice going, butcher =P

Sodalite
2013-01-23, 01:02 AM
If only Wolfgang could have somehow expressed that his first decapitation was ridiculous fluke, and that he had no way replicating it. Perhaps this whole thing could have been avoided...

LCP
2013-01-23, 01:07 AM
Don't worry, there's still five other kingdoms to run to. :smallwink:

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 01:08 AM
If only Sieghard had shot the captive bandit in the back when we had first captured him instead of checking to see whether or not Jager wanted him alive...

Seriously, I was originally planning to do that. The rope would've been to hang the bodies from the trees as a warning to other bandits.

Shows what I get for listening to authority.

Edit:


Don't worry, there's still five other kingdoms to run to. :smallwink:

Oh, I can still think of a few things that might salvage the situation. Only problem is about half of them involve sacrificing someone to the crowd. Most of the other half involve running.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-23, 06:09 AM
Since I am nearest Adelbert, can I use perception to try and hear his muttered instructions?

LCP
2013-01-23, 07:37 AM
Hmm - yes. Perception check at -10.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-23, 08:04 AM
int 36

[roll0]

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 09:51 AM
So... There's a thing I want to try... A thing that I'm fairly confident will work. And there's a short way I can do this thing and a long way... But I need to know how riled up the crowd is at this point... Do they look like they're going to listen if someone starts talking again or no?

I suppose I could have him start trying the long way and if that doesn't seem to be working, quickly switch to the short way, but for that I'd need you to tell me whether or not they're listening after A few quick words anyways.

(Either way I feel like I should have him hold off on it until the start of the next round since he already used this one failing to shoot the escapee)

LCP
2013-01-23, 09:54 AM
But I need to know how riled up the crowd is at this point... Do they look like they're going to listen if someone starts talking again or no?

Right before the "bandit" ran they looked to be on the edge of starting trouble; now, they are focused on his escape. They're certainly not in the mood for listening to speeches any more: you would need to use some skill (or some force) to grab their attention.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 09:58 AM
If it changes anything, both ways start with him shouting to get their attention. Kinda looking like short way though if they aren't going to listen to another speech.

LCP
2013-01-23, 10:03 AM
Well, once I've got Brand's actions you'll see one round of peasant actions to gauge your plan by.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 10:08 AM
Works for me... And like I said, I can always try starting the long way and if it doesn't seem to be working, quickly switch to the short way. Even doing that Sieghard shouldn't need to do more than can reasonably be done in 10 seconds.

RossN
2013-01-23, 11:05 AM
Heh, I beginning to wonder if Brand will ever believe Adelbert is just a Scribe. :)

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-23, 12:04 PM
Depends on how lucky your future rolls will be. All he knows is that you have SOME fencing experience, but you did get injured in the fight.

on the other hand, you just told the soldier guy to get into his horse and get away, which seems to imply(to his scared, adrenalin-pumped mind) that Adelbert thinks he and the other two can handle the mob.

That is a lot of confidence for a simple scribe.

LCP
2013-01-23, 09:28 PM
IC post is up. Again, no combat map yet: I do have one ready to go now, but I can't easily get it ready for uploading at the moment. If things kick off you will see it soon.

In the meantime, here is a list of distances:

Jager + PCs to edge of crowd: 2 squares/4 yards in all directions. Crowd are encircling you through 180o

Jager + PCs to running man: approximately 24 squares/48 yards.

Elsa to Jager + PCs: approximately 7 squares/14 yards.

Elsa to running man: approximately 19 squares/38 yards.

RossN
2013-01-23, 10:04 PM
If Brand can think of a way to get us out of this I'll actually pay him.

Maybe.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 10:31 PM
My idea might not work so well if they're already advancing on us like that... The long version maybe, but not the short version (which was yell out that I'd pay gold to whoever whoever brought the escapee's head)

Only 180o around us? Well... Maybe the longer version might work.

Question... Would Sieghard know the story of Hartmut's Fall? Seems like the sort of thing Duke Edouard would try to spread the word about...

LCP
2013-01-23, 10:48 PM
Question... Would Sieghard know the story of Hartmut's Fall? Seems like the sort of thing Duke Edouard would try to spread the word about...

Sieghard's from round here, right? Sure, go ahead.

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 11:04 PM
How about that the duke sends Elmridge a portion of the harvest from the other villages so they can focus on wood and not need to worry so much about farming?

LCP
2013-01-23, 11:07 PM
I don't think that Sieghard would be familiar with the details of the duke's economy. For what it's worth, you can see with your eyes that these people don't have any fields of grain (although you can also see that they have plenty of sheep and goats).

TheSummoner
2013-01-23, 11:08 PM
Nah, that's not needed. I can touch on what I wanted to touch on without getting into specifics.

TheSummoner
2013-01-24, 02:52 AM
So... at this point, I personally don't want to throw Wolfgang and Jager to the wolves... But I'm not so sure Sieghard would give a damn. Their necks or his and all that. Might be better for someone else to take this one.

Honestly, I'm surprised Jager kept his mouth shut after they started calling for his head. Also kinda wondering why they're so adamant about not cutting down the trees.

How big is this crowd anyways (and how much is Jager's life worth to him?)

LCP
2013-01-24, 05:37 AM
Honestly, I'm surprised Jager kept his mouth shut after they started calling for his head.

He may still have something to say; I'm just breaking for PC reactions where it seems appropriate.


How big is this crowd anyways

20-30 people.


(and how much is Jager's life worth to him?)

You'd have to ask him.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-24, 05:39 AM
Brand is using all of his will power just to not exclaim:

Well, glad that is settled them, have fun with them" and just walking away.

RossN
2013-01-24, 07:03 AM
Is Karl still in the village LCP?

LCP
2013-01-24, 07:12 AM
Yes. Last seen heading in the direction of the tavern.

RossN
2013-01-24, 07:32 AM
Hmm, that could be either good or bad then since he was a witness to the fight with the 'beastmen'...

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-24, 08:05 AM
If asked brands votes we make him our leader, he is obviously the smartest of us.

LCP
2013-01-24, 08:06 AM
@CJ: what you have to wake Wolfgang up with should be entirely determinable by what's listed under "Trappings" on your character sheet.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-24, 10:01 AM
Also kinda wondering why they're so adamant about not cutting down the trees.
Protection of their livelihood, I presume. What I wonder is how much the Duke pays for the lumber.

Hmmm, the crowd is smaller than I thought. Not good news...

I'm really liking the start of this game, LCP. :smallbiggrin:

RossN
2013-01-24, 10:04 AM
I see Elsa is already winning hearts and minds. :smallwink:

Of course Adelbert might have more to worry about from Jager now... :smalleek:


I'm really liking the start of this game, LCP. :smallbiggrin:

Me too! :smallsmile:

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 11:49 AM
And now Wolfgang is not unconscious anymore. I do think he will try to flee, though, quite possibly in the same direction as the bandit, though that would only be a coincidence.

Also, I will third the notion that this game is very enjoyable.

RossN
2013-01-24, 11:55 AM
*Sigh* It was all going so well less badly til Elsa intervened...

TheSummoner
2013-01-24, 02:32 PM
Protection of their livelihood, I presume. What I wonder is how much the Duke pays for the lumber.

Protection from greenskins and the other lords and, a portion of the harvest from the other villages, and the ability to continue life without a sword stuck through them. Still a better deal than most would give them.


I'm really liking the start of this game, LCP. :smallbiggrin:

As am I, though after this I'm wondering how the hell Elsa is supposed to join the group without us murdering her or vice versa.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-24, 03:20 PM
Heh, sorry, Elsa is not 100% under my control. I'll try not to screw up any chances of collaboration between our characters. Thing is, while the fun in roleplaying is to play someone you're not, I still find it very hard to side against the underdog.

Plus, Elsa isn't on Jager's payroll.

RossN
2013-01-24, 07:33 PM
I'm fairly certain collaboration is screwed up anyway - I don't think Adelbert will ever forgive her. :smallwink:

TheSummoner
2013-01-24, 07:46 PM
*shrug* between her and Flitch, Sieghard has been having to fight the temptation to try his luck with another shot for a while now. Only the fact that we're outnumbered 4-6 to 1 is stopping him.

RossN
2013-01-24, 07:56 PM
I think the reason Adelbert is so angry is partly because he is genuinely offended and upset by Elsa trashing the negotiations and (by implication) calling his word into question and partly because he knows he's trod on Jager's toes.

If the villagers turn hostile again Adelbert has just made a powerful enemy and has nothing to show for it.

TheSummoner
2013-01-24, 08:02 PM
If the villagers turn hostile again, I'm falling back to Gant's house and shooting down as many of them as I can - Starting with whoever decides to get them riled up again. Keep them in the doorway and their numbers mean nothing. Take that advantage away from them and they're just a pack of unarmed, untrained villagers.

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 08:19 PM
If the villagers turn hostile, Wolfgang will get the hell out, assuming he's not already made himself scarce. He sort of came to the realization that the expectation to kill will probably not leave for a while, and that his reputation as headsman, and now butcher, will probably be irreparable within the group, so he's thinking that if he even chooses to follow this group further, which I suppose he will, since he's got nothing else to latch on to, it will most certainly be from a distance.

LCP
2013-01-24, 08:30 PM
I'm really liking the start of this game, LCP.

Heh, thanks. This mini-adventure in Elmridge is really just designed as an introduction - I'm looking forward to see where you guys go from here. Still, I hope it's setting the tone for the Border Princes.

Regarding Elsa, we'll have to see how this evolves. I'll do what I can to arrange circumstances from here, but I am assuming a certain player-to-player gravity, as the guy helping me plot your horrible deaths work out adventure hooks put it.

RossN
2013-01-24, 08:34 PM
Would it be alright if I had Adelbert take a Toughness test to avoid passing out? I figure the blood loss from his wound combined with the emotional stress is really getting to him at this point.

On second thoughts that wouldn't be fair to the other PCs (except Elsa :smallwink:) if we do still get into a fight.

LCP
2013-01-24, 08:54 PM
If it's not a Critical Hit, then it's only a flesh wound. Full points for roleplaying the fact that Adelbert's been cut up a bit, but don't feel you have to make it worse than it is.

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 09:09 PM
I would like to test Perception, to see if there is any way easily accessible to Wolfgang currently, that won't draw as much attention as the simply running straight away. The difficulty is unknown to me, so I will simply roll, give my Intelligence, and wait to see if he succeeds, or if it is indeed possible at all.

[roll0] with an Intelligence of 40.

Edit: Given the result, I will assume, until told otherwise, that he fails to find such a way.

LCP
2013-01-24, 09:15 PM
Your situation is fairly simple. Gant's house stands on its own, on an oblong mound of earth; the front wall of the house is behind you and the villagers are spread out in a semicircle in front of you, blocking off escape in the three directions not covered by the house.

The crowd is thinner at the "wings" and has lost some of its cohesive purpose, but if you want to get out of here your two choices are:
1) hide in the house
2) run, in plain sight.

I suppose if you could manufacture a distraction, that might be one way to stop everyone noticing you.

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 09:21 PM
Would I need another roll to determine whether or not a few crowns tossed into the crowd would be sufficient distraction?

LCP
2013-01-24, 09:27 PM
I'd suggest you take your own best guess at that.

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 09:37 PM
Hm...What about how much farther he can move back without arousing suspicion?

LCP
2013-01-24, 09:38 PM
Behind you is the wall of Gant's house. To escape you would need to go sideways, through the crowd where it encircles you.

Sodalite
2013-01-24, 09:40 PM
Right. The exact positioning was lost to me. Hm...I think I'll wait and see what happens a little while longer before fleeing.

RossN
2013-01-25, 08:29 AM
I think Elsa has give Adelbert something to think about.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-25, 04:50 PM
For now brand isn´t doing anything, he will just wait and see what happens

RossN
2013-01-25, 08:08 PM
Post ninjaed! And Elsa dug herself in deeper... :smallbiggrin:

-Sentinel-
2013-01-25, 08:13 PM
Post ninjaed! And Elsa dug herself in deeper... :smallbiggrin:
That's a skill of hers :smalltongue:. After playing a cautious, subtle, diplomatic character in LCP's other game, I wanted to try the exact opposite.

RossN
2013-01-25, 08:16 PM
That's a skill of hers :smalltongue:. After playing a cautious, subtle, diplomatic character in LCP's other game, I wanted to try the exact opposite.


Oh don't get me wrong I think she's kind of awesome actually (and as frustrasted as he is I imagine Adelbert is feeling a grudging bit of admiration), but talk about a spanner in the works! :smalltongue:

If it weren't for the fact that Adelbert swore on the gods to give the villagers case to the Duke he'd probably have abandoned Elmridge by now.

LCP
2013-01-25, 09:28 PM
After playing a cautious, subtle, diplomatic character in LCP's other game

So far Elsa's foot-in-mouth total is still lower than Pieter's, I'd say :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2013-01-25, 09:52 PM
So far Elsa's foot-in-mouth total is still lower than Pieter's, I'd say :smalltongue:

Likely only because Pieter has been around for longer. :smalltongue:

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Just as I watch LCP's other games. I want to see what horrible things arrive to kill you!

LCP
2013-01-26, 02:20 AM
I think it seems safe to move things on to the tavern from here. I'm in the habit of only waiting for a majority on uncontroversial decisions, but I am a little concerned about whether (due to time zones) this means that Brand is always the PC whose input I skip. CJ, if this is bothering you, please let me know.

TheSummoner
2013-01-26, 03:32 AM
Lets see if I get that one bolt I fired off back. 1 for no, 2 for yes.

[roll0]

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-26, 06:06 AM
CJ, if this is bothering you, please let me know.

It, is not bothering me. Brand just doesn´t seem to have much to contribute in this specific situation.

Thsi is actually me role´playing he is pretty much convinced he is the least qualified person in the group to be dealing with this situation.

Except perhaps for wolfgang in whom he is keeping an eye.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-26, 06:24 AM
And now that things calmed a bit he is more comfortable with himself.

LCP
2013-01-26, 09:50 PM
Glad to hear it.

Just thought I should post OOC at this juncture to reinforce something that hasn't been mentioned since character creation - this is a sandbox game, and the whole map is open. I wanted to say so because Jager's quite a forceful chap, and he's trying to get you to do what he wants - I just want to make sure that no-one feels obliged to take his offer because they're assuming this is The Plot and they should be moving it along.

Quite possibly no-one's thinking that at all, but better to say it when it's not necessary than to not say it when it is. These first few encounters have been to teach the rules and set the tone; now it's up to you guys to steer.

RossN
2013-01-26, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up. :)

As it happens Adelbert was going to head for Alvarran anyway (to meet the Duke) so going by Hartmut's Fall isn't a huge problem.

Sodalite
2013-01-26, 10:14 PM
I think Wolfgang'll go with Adelbert, wherever that happens to be, unless it takes him to close to Jaardorf too soon, just because he isn't bringing up how he botched the execution every time he talks about Wolfgang.

TheSummoner
2013-01-26, 10:18 PM
Sieghard doesn't feel forced. He sees Jager as a useful source of money. :smallbiggrin:

LCP
2013-01-26, 10:52 PM
Sentinel, I've just noticed that both of us completely missed Brand approaching Elsa. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14596553&postcount=132)

I will go edit my post slightly. Yours might need more editing!

-Sentinel-
2013-01-26, 10:54 PM
Huh... weird. I wonder how I missed that. :smallconfused: I'll edit.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-26, 11:02 PM
Oh wait, I just realize that happened before going to the tavern... So my latest post still stands.

LCP
2013-01-26, 11:07 PM
Best to edit the one before that, then.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-26, 11:21 PM
Done. :smallcool:

LCP
2013-01-26, 11:31 PM
Excellent.

CJ, if you want to keep the conversation outside the inn running, it'll be best to reply in a time-split fashion - use headings to break your post in two, like Sentinel did with the one he edited. That way you can finish Brand's conversation with Elsa and join in with the conversation inside the Wych Elm (if you want to), without having to delay. Just assume that you've joined the guys inside after all the talking outside is done, and that they were far enough ahead in the timeline that it all syncs up.

LCP
2013-01-26, 11:45 PM
"I'll have a loaf of bread, a slice of cheese, a bit of cured sausage, and as much beer as the rest of this coin can buy me."

Denomination? A schilling?

-Sentinel-
2013-01-27, 12:06 AM
Yes, a schilling.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-27, 07:05 AM
CJ, if you want to keep the conversation outside the inn running, it'll be best to reply in a time-split fashion - use headings to break your post in two, like Sentinel did with the one he edited. That way you can finish Brand's conversation with Elsa and join in with the conversation inside the Wych Elm (if you want to), without having to delay. Just assume that you've joined the guys inside after all the talking outside is done, and that they were far enough ahead in the timeline that it all syncs up.

Just one more and I am done.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-27, 07:21 AM
my haggle check

[roll0]

LCP
2013-01-27, 08:17 AM
I'll need some words IC to go with that check before I can give you a response.

LCP
2013-01-27, 07:57 PM
Looks like we have rough agreement from the four not-Elsas on Jager's mission (I assume - correct me if I'm wrong). How long do you guys want to hang about in Elmridge? Is there other stuff you want to do?

RossN
2013-01-27, 08:13 PM
Adelbert would like to get some rest in the inn (probably only a night - no doubt Jager is impatient...)

He'd also like to see if he can talk to Flitch without Jager (or Elsa!) hearing about it.

TheSummoner
2013-01-27, 10:03 PM
Sieghard would prefer to leave as soon as possible. It's still early enough to reach Hartmut's Fall by the end of the day... There's money in it for him when he gets there so sooner is better... Most importantly, he figures his chances are better on the road than surrounded by pissed off villagers.

LCP
2013-01-28, 08:34 AM
Feel free to discuss that OOC before we get to it IC. Saves back-and-forth when the conversation actually comes up.

CJ, Sodalite, what are your characters' opinions? Sentinel, what are Elsa's plans?

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-28, 08:48 AM
Brand is ok with it.

He need to accompany adelbert at least as far as halmut´s fall, to finish his contract, once there he will be too near the recipient of the message to pass up the coin.

Sodalite
2013-01-28, 09:03 AM
Wolfgang's going to stick with Adelbert as well, given he'd rather not deal with Sieghard. Though he'll probably either be cooped up in a room while people are up and about.

RossN
2013-01-28, 10:44 AM
If Sieghard goes now he can do so alone. Adelbert is just too badly cut up to leave right this minute and he wants to get some more information out of the locals.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-28, 10:53 AM
Elsa was not planning to leave today, or she would have drunk less last night. As for longer-term plans, I'm sure curious to see how things will develop in Elmridge, and as I said IC, Elsa's stubborn and contrarian nature just makes her want to stay, at least for a few days.

I assume this game is more tolerant of PC splits than a normal adventure game.

TheSummoner
2013-01-28, 12:51 PM
Sieghard sure as hell isn't going off alone. That sounds like a damn good way to get dead. He can wait a day, though for the record, he considers it a waste of a day since Jager doesn't want us to shop here and it might also cost us the possibility of catching a ride with Karl again (assuming he was heading that way).

RossN
2013-01-28, 05:26 PM
Okay are we ready to move the IC on?

TheSummoner
2013-01-28, 05:37 PM
*shrug* Sieghard's got nothing to do until right before we go and the circumstances of that are going to determine how he goes about it.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-28, 05:48 PM
yes brand will just take the opportunity to rest a bit. he is still wounded after all.

LCP
2013-01-28, 08:58 PM
Okay are we ready to move the IC on?

Yes. Can't sit down to write it right now but will hopefully have it ready in an hour or two.

Unless Sieghard wants to have an IC discussion about convincing the others to leave today (in which case feel free to go ahead immediately - Jager will leave the tavern to go and have his own conversation with Flitch), it looks like Adelbert is the only one with something defined to do, so for most of you there will be some waiting while we sort that out. If you can think of anything you'd like to have your character do around town in the meantime, great. Otherwise, RossN, if you can use your first IC post with Flitch to cover all the points you want to cover and just leave me spaces to quote you and insert his reaction, that may be the fastest way of doing this.


I assume this game is more tolerant of PC splits than a normal adventure game.

Once we get into spoilered posts you may have trouble finding the others again - it's a big map. I have no intrinsic problem with you guys going different ways but I don't want to end up running two separate games here; I tried that with my 40K group once and it was exhausting.

TheSummoner
2013-01-28, 09:18 PM
Jager doesn't want us shopping around here for fear of tipping someone off, so Sieghard will just stick around the tavern for a bit. He's looking for a chance to talk to Jager alone before he leaves, but hes in no rush.

goblinpaladin
2013-01-28, 11:04 PM
That's a skill of hers :smalltongue:. After playing a cautious, subtle, diplomatic character in LCP's other game, I wanted to try the exact opposite.

That is not a description of Pieter I would write.

LCP
2013-01-29, 09:02 AM
CJ ninja'd me there. Will edit my post to answer Brand's questions as well.

Also, CJ, just for readability - if you could use speech marks (or a speech colour, if you prefer that kind of thing) for when Brand is talking, it'd make your posts easier for me to parse. Thanks :smallsmile:

EDIT: edit to IC post complete.

LCP
2013-01-29, 10:47 AM
How much beer does Elsa get for her schilling, in addition to the meal?

One stein. Lagnier took Elsa's profligate manner as an invitation to shortchange her.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-29, 10:57 AM
His attitude will change when word reaches him that Elsa can set people on fire with her mind. :smalltongue:

I can see Elsa not noticing having been cheated, though. Since she's noble-born, she has a rather vague notion of the value of money. ("A chimneysweep makes only a gold crown a week, correct?") Plus, Altdorf has a high cost of living, like any important city.

TheSummoner
2013-01-29, 11:23 AM
Dont feel bad, he seems to overcharge everyone. You just got it worse for being upfront about having money.

LCP
2013-01-29, 11:52 AM
Alright, looks like I only need the conclusion to Brand and Adelbert's conversation before I move things on.

Is there anything anyone else has on their to-do list before I say the day ends uneventfully, and move to your departure the next morning?

LCP
2013-01-30, 09:51 AM
Just looking over you guys' trappings while we wait for CJ's response: does anyone want to lay in provisions for the journey tomorrow? A day's march on an empty stomach might not be the most fun thing.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-30, 11:13 AM
Brand says

"You may keep quiet, but soone or later ther e will be a confrontation and it will surface. if you pretend it won´t, it will just be worse for everyone involved"

Than he shakes his head and walks away.

RossN
2013-01-30, 11:20 AM
Just looking over you guys' trappings while we wait for CJ's response: does anyone want to lay in provisions for the journey tomorrow? A day's march on an empty stomach might not be the most fun thing.

I'll buy provisions.

CJ I think you meant to put your post in the IC thread. :smallsmile:

Sodalite
2013-01-30, 12:32 PM
I'm not particularly sure what do with Wolfgang right now...He's just sort of stewing at the table, and will be stewing in whatever room he gets.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-30, 01:02 PM
I'll buy provisions.

CJ I think you meant to put your post in the IC thread. :smallsmile:

Thanks, sorry, I am new to this. Still get them mixed up a little. Fixing it now.

TheSummoner
2013-01-30, 01:43 PM
If it were more than a day, I would, but I'm sticking to the whole "Jager said not to buy anything for fear of tipping them off" thing. Might be unpleasant, but Sieghard can last until we reach Hartmut's Fall if need be.

Edit: Actually, let's just say Sieghard gets another meal before we go. Ale, a loaf of bread, and a cheap pie (5-7p by the book) and he shoves the bread in his pack while no one is looking.

LCP
2013-01-30, 09:59 PM
Thanks, sorry, I am new to this. Still get them mixed up a little. Fixing it now.

Still don't see it, but I'll copy it into my own update.


Ale, a loaf of bread, and a cheap pie (5-7p by the book)

7p here.


I'll buy provisions.

How much/what kind?


~

My parents are coming out here to Japan tomorrow, and I'll be joining up with them for a long weekend to do a bit of sightseeing. I'll be back on Tuesday, but in the meantime there will most likely be no GM updates from me. Please make sure that any outstanding replies are in place by Tuesday!

Also, you may want to use the lull for a little OOC discussion: beyond the immediate decisions of the IC thread, do you have any plans for your characters (places to go, people to see, etc.) that you want to see realised? Knowing where you want to go OOC may help you work together IC to get there. Also it's just fun to plot and scheme.

Some of you also now have enough XP to buy an advance - check the OOC spoiler in the IC thread.

LCP
2013-01-31, 03:14 AM
Has Jager already paid us our 10s downpayment? Because if not, I'm definitely waking him.

Not yet, no.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-31, 05:50 AM
Still don't see it, but I'll copy it into my own update.


Thanks. Turns out I need to wait 60 seconds before posting again, and I had to leave before that time was done, then I forgot.

Sorry.

RossN
2013-01-31, 06:38 AM
Actually Sieghard's idea probably makes sense. I think I'll follow his example instead of buying dry rations.

Edit: Oh and:

I'm buying a +5 Fel advance with my XP.

Destro_Yersul
2013-01-31, 05:15 PM
you chaps are getting off lucky with the 'meat' pies. You should've seen what happened to the last chaps that had meat pies in one of LCP's games.