PDA

View Full Version : Inland Sea of Tevera OOC

Pages : 1 [2]

redzimmer
2013-04-09, 01:36 AM
A misconception. Or perhaps Hodge still has boatlag from coming from the other side of the Inland Sea.

redzimmer
2013-04-12, 11:29 AM
So, if I gather correctly we have Kachja, Alex, and the druids planning one direction, and the magely (/clerically) duo remaining in town for time-being.

A word on splitting the party, I find it too hard to sandbox so if ever possible try to stay at most split into three groups. If you each go your own way I might end up getting you all mixed up...

RecoveringGamer
2013-04-12, 01:54 PM
Can we not just stick together? I have no idea what is going on right now X(

redzimmer
2013-04-12, 02:06 PM
It's okay. Stay with the shifter and the harpy and elf will come to you.

Just give the first few pages a read, ignore the time jump and ask a million questions until you feel up to speed.

Long-story-short: Someone is raising dead and riling up kobolds, the whole neighbourhood is kinda craptastica and you have omens of impending doom and/or gloom.

Could everyone please post your PC birthdays again?

Dunkoro
2013-04-12, 02:59 PM
Fallnight, don't remember exact date.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-12, 05:02 PM
22nd High summer.

RecoveringGamer
2013-04-13, 04:57 AM
26th of Midspring

Ellisande
2013-04-15, 02:58 AM
The revised Kachja was born on "the last Friday of Middlefall". Hopefully that's close enough--peasant villages are hardly the place to go for precise calendars!

Ellisande
2013-04-30, 08:40 PM
We could hole up in the cabin, but that might be bad news if the dragon has a breath attack... and would really limit the number of US that can get into the action as well. I'd be more inclined to see if we can down the lead kobolds, in which case we'd have the numerical advantage...

After two weeks, my memory isn't as sharp as it might be. What's the breakdown of the party? At risk of oversimplifying:

Tooth, Druid
Kachja, Scout
Beasley, Necromancer
Alex, Harpy
Hultz, Dragonfire Adept
Hodge, Wizard
Trewlid, Druid

Does that inform our tactics?

Dunkoro
2013-05-01, 03:46 AM
That seems to be correct, provided everybody's back here.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-01, 07:12 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, then all the enemies are within range of Alex's songs, either Lullaby or Captivating song.

I'll probably go for Captivating song, because as long as Alex is singing, he can hack away at anybody who's been caught without fear of retaliation. Since they need to stay no further than 5 feet away from Alex, the rest of you could pelt them with arrows or something.

Or, Alex could wait until they closed in and sing his Lullaby, exhausting and then making them fall asleep. And all the lovely lovely Coup de Graces that gives.

What do you guys think?

Dunkoro
2013-05-01, 07:18 AM
I think backing near the entrance to the cabin and making them unable to close with us seems pretty reasonable.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-01, 08:37 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, then all the enemies are within range of Alex's songs, either Lullaby or Captivating song.

I'll probably go for Captivating song, because as long as Alex is singing, he can hack away at anybody who's been caught without fear of retaliation. Since they need to stay no further than 5 feet away from Alex, the rest of you could pelt them with arrows or something.

Or, Alex could wait until they closed in and sing his Lullaby, exhausting and then making them fall asleep. And all the lovely lovely Coup de Graces that gives.

What do you guys think?

Undead are immune to mind-affecting effects like bardic music.

If we do use the door, they'll be all bunched up for an Entangle from me.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-01, 10:15 AM
The thing is though, Alex's songs aren't mind effecting. Eerie Song (One of the other Harpy songs) is called out as a Fear effect, but the rest of them? No tags, whatsoever. So Undead won't be immune, at least to the Song itself.

They would be immune to Exhaustion, though, so Captivating Song it is then!

redzimmer
2013-05-01, 01:09 PM
Don't recall mentioning they were undead...

however don't say I'm not a generous DM

All dragons have immunity to sleep and paralysis effects. Each variety of dragon has immunity to one or two additional forms of attack no matter what its age, as given in its description.

Draconomicon:

A draconic creature gains a +4 racial bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis, thanks to its heritage.

OOC: Not that you know they are a home-brewed draconic off-shoot of kobolds, but if you did IC, that is a thing to consider.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-01, 07:55 PM
Oh, I could have sworn he said they were undead.

The thing is though, Alex's songs aren't mind effecting. Eerie Song (One of the other Harpy songs) is called out as a Fear effect, but the rest of them? No tags, whatsoever. So Undead won't be immune, at least to the Song itself.

They would be immune to Exhaustion, though, so Captivating Song it is then!
Regardless, all fear effects are mind-affecting abilities. From the SRD:

All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects.

Captivating Song (Su)
The most insidious ability of the harpy is its song. When a harpy sings, all creatures (other than harpies) within a 300-foot spread must succeed on a DC 16 Will save or become captivated. This is a sonic mind-affecting charm effect.
I have no clue what Harpy monstrous progression you're using as it isn't the one from Savage Species clearly, but it makes no sense for your abilities to not be mind-affecting.

redzimmer
2013-05-02, 01:06 AM
Meh. I allowed it. I can't find the link. I have nerfed it a bit so all is cool.

redzimmer
2013-05-03, 12:16 PM
Ah yes. This will be a good time to again ask for everyone to PM me their default combat actions if your turn comes up and you are unavailable.

Hodge will just have to hold his action until the end of the round this time. Will make for next action in a couple hours.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-05, 07:58 AM
Sorry, yesterday was really tiring X(

redzimmer
2013-05-05, 02:48 PM
Not a thing. I usually can't post much on weekends.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-06, 12:01 AM
All right, the Kobolds are ensnared and they wasted their turn trying to break free. It would be best to try to engage them at range, since they take -2 to AC, -2 to melee attacks, and -4 to ranged attacks due to the various penalties of being entangled. It would be unwise to wade into the entanglement to engage them at melee range though, as Entangle is indiscriminate and will attempt to re-entangle anyone in its area of effect who is not entangled on my next turn, and each turn after that.

The dragon not trapped and is more dangerous anyways, so it'd probably be best to focus on it.

Simba
2013-05-06, 02:19 AM
Tooth's birthdate: 17th of Fallnight

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-07, 03:10 AM
That song wasn't a good idea. We want the kobolds to waste time trying to free themselves from entanglement or take -4 to their paltry ranged attacks, not walk out of the AoE of Entangle.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-07, 08:42 AM
You forget that they're also standing around like a stoners at a light show.

If anything, they're going to be easier to take care of, as they have to stay within 5 ft of me, meaning that you can stay back a bit and pelt them with, whatever you feel like without fear of retaliation.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-07, 01:10 PM
You forget that they're also standing around like a stoners at a light show.

If anything, they're going to be easier to take care of, as they have to stay within 5 ft of me, meaning that you can stay back a bit and pelt them with, whatever you feel like without fear of retaliation.
I do not forget that. They were wasting their time in an entanglement, but now they're going to waste their time with more AC a lot closer to the party instead of a safer distance for us.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-07, 02:02 PM
...taking no actions except to stand and stare at Alex while he sings. Yes, they're closer, but they're also doing bollock all.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-07, 02:54 PM
...taking no actions except to stand and stare at Alex while he sings. Yes, they're closer, but they're also doing bollock all.

They were failing nearly-impossible full-round actions further away from us. So, bollock all.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-07, 03:04 PM
EDIT: I think we're looking about this the wrong way. Does the entanglement affect the kobolds or the area they are in?

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-07, 04:08 PM
The kobolds are currently entangled. Each round on my initiative, all creatures in the area of the entanglement who are not currently entangled have to make a new reflex save or become entangled again. Even if they successfully used their next turn to break free instead of being forced closer, wasting their second full round, they would need to save again before their third turn came up.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-10, 06:47 PM
So uh... how come nobody is posting when their turn comes up? X(

redzimmer
2013-05-10, 07:26 PM
Decision time is a-pending.

redzimmer
2013-05-11, 11:00 AM
Okay folks, I think we've played this here mine out.

I am shutting down Inland Sea of Tevera due to apathy and my erratic DMing.

Anyone interested in visiting another part of Tevera, can look in on my next conceptualization: The Renakor Foreign Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282995).

And it is going to have a LOT more restrictions so I don't get carried away.

RecoveringGamer
2013-05-11, 12:45 PM
Disappointing, I wish people would actually show up for something they signed up for. I may sign up for your new one. Unfortunately despite starting at the same level, I don't think altering Trewlid to fit with a French Foreign Legion would be appropriate, because he's a kindhearted eccentric and that's where the charm of the character comes from.

redzimmer
2013-05-11, 12:49 PM
Disappointing, I wish people would actually show up for something they signed up for. I may sign up for your new one. Unfortunately despite starting at the same level, I don't think altering Trewlid to fit with a French Foreign Legion would be appropriate, because he's a kindhearted eccentric and that's where the charm of the character comes from.

Don't be too hard on 'em RG. We all have things to do. And yeah, druids are really the sort to become grizzled mercenary soldiers.

Ellisande
2013-05-13, 10:21 AM
Well, bummer. Am I one of the problems, or would I be welcome to start thinking of a legionaire?

redzimmer
2013-05-13, 10:45 AM
Well, bummer. Am I one of the problems, or would I be welcome to start thinking of a legionaire?

No one is a problem I just think we lost momentum.

All are welcome to try out. Will post 16 later today, will link from interest check post.