PDA

View Full Version : Good Spell Storing options?

Zombimode
2013-01-14, 10:06 AM
Any ideas for some nice spells to use with the Spell Storing weapon enchantment, put ammunition, of course?

My goal is not really "moar damage" but things like status effect and battlefield control.

Elderand
2013-01-14, 10:20 AM
If you have the book, can get away with it and are an arcane caster. I'd look up the arcane staff line of spell in the dragonlance book : tower of high sorcery.

It's like spell storing on steroid

nedz
2013-01-14, 10:40 AM
Energy Drain is quite good...

It would be useful to know:
What sort of caster ?
What level range ?

Ed:
Which books are available would also be useful ?

Friv
2013-01-14, 10:43 AM
At lower levels, a good Bestow Curse is a great way to brutalize a major enemy.

Alternately, it's always funny to get a lot of elemental resistance and unleash a fireball on unsuspecting hordes who are in melee range.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-14, 10:58 AM
Remember than spellstoring is limited to level 3 spells and lower.

Aran Thule
2013-01-14, 11:04 AM
Touch of Idiocy for any spellcasters you meet.
Best of all, no save :)

nedz
2013-01-14, 11:10 AM
Remember than spellstoring is limited to level 3 spells and lower.
I'd forgotten that so my suggestion will fail, almost epically.
But my real point was to highlight that we needed slightly more to go on.

Touch of Idiocy for any spellcasters you meet.
Best of all, no save :)
That is good, but it's more likely to drop someone who's dumped their mental stats — best used in combination with other similar effects.

Zombimode
2013-01-14, 11:27 AM
Well, actually, the character in question is...

*casts Protection from Thrown Tomatoes*

... a level 11 Truenamer :smallcool:

He has, of course, obscene Knowledge skills and Knowledge Devotion, so he can hit most enemies with his crossbow. Of course 1d8+5 is not going to do much. But he needs something relevant to do when he isn't Truenaming or UMD'ing, which is actually quite less often the case than I expected, and I thought spell storing ammunition could fill the gap.

hewhosaysfish
2013-01-14, 11:32 AM
In one long running campagin, the ninja/ranger in the party got 50 Spell-Storing shurikens and got the Cleric to fill them up with Cure Serious Wounds, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Remove Paralysis, Dispel Magic, Restoration, etc, etc, etc during downtime.
With TWF and flurry of blows, he could throw 4 per round - Go NinjaCleric!

Cog
2013-01-14, 12:42 PM
...and I thought spell storing ammunition could fill the gap.
Spell Storing ammunition fills a very small gap indeed - Spell Storing is activated after a hit, and ammunition is destroyed upon a hit - so there's no ammunition left to activate.

Zombimode
2013-01-14, 02:39 PM
So, Spell Storing ammunition does not actually work? Thats a shame :smallfrown:

Daftendirekt
2013-01-14, 02:42 PM
Spell Storing ammunition fills a very small gap indeed - Spell Storing is activated after a hit, and ammunition is destroyed upon a hit - so there's no ammunition left to activate.

I'd say that's getting awfully technical with the RAW. I think most DMs would allow Spell-Storing ammunition to work. I know I would.

nedz
2013-01-14, 02:53 PM
Well here's the text:

Spell Storing
A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon. (The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action.) Any time the weapon strikes a creature and the creature takes damage from it, the weapon can immediately cast the spell on that creature as a free action if the wielder desires. (This special ability is an exception to the general rule that casting a spell from an item takes at least as long as casting that spell normally.) Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it. The weapon magically imparts to the wielder the name of the spell currently stored within it. A randomly rolled spell storing weapon has a 50% chance to have a spell stored in it already.
Interestingly DR may negate the effect — so shurikens might not be such a good choice after all.

Ed: this does allow for action at a distance though: since the caster decides, after the damage has been dealt, whether to activate the effect.

Ed(2): Spell Storing does not appear on the Ranged Weapon Special Abilities table, it's only on the Melee Weapon Special Abilities table.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-14, 02:55 PM
At lower levels, a good Bestow Curse is a great way to brutalize a major enemy.

As long as you can keep the DC's up, I'd say 50/50 action chance is good at even high levels.

Friv
2013-01-14, 03:00 PM
As long as you can keep the DC's up, I'd say 50/50 action chance is good at even high levels.

I was thinking that Spell Storing was a tiered weapon effect; my "at lower levels" mostly meant "when you have the +1 version", which upon reflection is the only version.

Well, actually, the character in question is...

*casts Protection from Thrown Tomatoes*

... a level 11 Truenamer :smallcool:

He has, of course, obscene Knowledge skills and Knowledge Devotion, so he can hit most enemies with his crossbow. Of course 1d8+5 is not going to do much. But he needs something relevant to do when he isn't Truenaming or UMD'ing, which is actually quite less often the case than I expected, and I thought spell storing ammunition could fill the gap.

Ah, but is there a cleric or wizard in your party? Remember that the guy discharging the spell does not have to be the guy who cast it.

This is one of the reasons, usually, that various touch attacks make great spell stored weapons. You can have the guy with a lower attack bonus cast the spell into a weapon, and then the guy with the higher attack bonus swings it around until he lands a blow, causing the attack to go off automatically. Saves a lot of time and actions, and gives the melee-type a way to unleash devastating spells effectively.