PDA

View Full Version : Thattamans Kingmaker: Stolen Lands IC

Thattaman
2013-01-14, 12:00 PM
Across Brevoy a crowd of people gathered outside the Lord Regent's house to answer to the advertisement that was sent across the land. The advert promised honour and renown, a way to escape your old life and become an explorer, only eleven could be picked. You are that eleven. You were all interviewed by the Regent's stewards and two weeks later you received this charter:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj115/Harthar/Kingmaker/screenshot20120602at400_zps609038ae.png

You have been assigned to explore the Greenbelt region of the Stolen Lands. You met a week ago and told that you are to go to Oleg's Trading Post and then you shall start your quest. The weather was fine at first but after two days, a storm broke out and soaked you all. Just as the vast wilderness comes into sight, the sun peaks out from behind the clouds. That was Yesterday and the untamed land is getting closer. A small fort-like building comes into view and you can tell that that is Oleg's Trading Post.

The post is a small affair, but well defended, the buildings inside are surrounded by a wooden wall with spikes jutting out the floor; four watchtowers are at each corner with a catapult mounted on top of each.

During the walk Robb looked smugly at those who had to walk and had brought no mounts. He rides his pony cautiously at first but gets used to her and becomes more risky. After an embarrassing fall into a muddy puddle on the fourth day he rides slowly and carefully once more. During the evenings he joins any other archers with his bow and goes hunting for their food, then plays some songs around the fire. He's generally entertaining and sociable with the other group although he has a tendency to be a bit vain.

When he sees the fort he almost falls out of his saddle with excitement. "Look, there's the fort, it must be Oleg's Trading Post!" He spurs his pony onwards and shouts for the others to come with him. "Come on, I can smell hot food!"

Icilia
2013-01-14, 01:58 PM
"Hot food. Gro'uark will eats many meats! Come, small men. We feast!" Gro'uark gives chase, setting a disturbing pace many would have trouble matching. "You wash pretty hair this moon, dah Robb?"

pirateking89
2013-01-14, 02:08 PM
The tall, stately elf smiles at the news that they've almost reached their first goal. Days ago, he had spent an evening hemming his robe up a hair higher so as to avoid getting any more mud on it than was avoidable.

"I am glad that we are almost now arrived. Perhaps we should not rush too quickly, for haste often are the undoing of those who think beyond the moment, so said the Ancient Sage Athelle."

He continues his stately pace, but for the first time in the day slings his shortbow over his shoulder, instead of holding it at the ready.

redsnake
2013-01-14, 02:19 PM
"Could you two settle..." Gareth grumbled as he trudged along at the back of the group, keeping pace at least with the gnome, "It's not like it's going anywhere."

After all the rain and walking, Gareth was tired of playing pack mule. Yes he'd gotten everything he, Mazo, and Alderaan needed, but after so many miles he'd really begun to wonder if it'd be worth it to just take Robb's horse and make it carry his overstuffed bags. Speaking of the gnome, he shot a sideways glance at her skeleton butler. Yes... He thought to himself, it was still creepy.

alberozuko
2013-01-14, 02:22 PM
Alderaan had been walking staring into the distance most of the time after what happened; hearing everything everyone was saying remembered him the constant talking in the monastery, with the people coming and going...

Alderaan, seeing the place in the distance, said:
So we are finally here. I must admit i am somewhat nervious; this "adventure" will really put my faith, and our abilities, on trial.
Alderaan makes a gesture, putting his hands to the sky; as if by force of habit, muttering an oration to Sarenrae.

brakisaurus
2013-01-14, 03:55 PM
Drand, whistling "The Storms of Maple Falls" to himself (a pretty terrible tune, if you'll give any credence to accounts of those who've heard it pass his lips), seems to be the only one not happy or excited for this first leg of the journey to end. He quite enjoys walking through the woods in the rain, thank you very much. Robb tried to teach him a few new songs in exchange for tips on tagging a megaloceros through the eye at 50 paces, but the complex melodies are just a little bit (OK, a lot bit) out of Drand's reach.

Drand's passingly familiar with the local routes and woods, having ranged out this far a time or two during hunting season. He has a pretty good idea of the lay of the land, and more than once pointed out a curious roadside marker or brush-covered sign that others might've completely overlooked.

"Well, I guess we're here. Keep an eye on your belongings -- who knows what pilferers and scammers we'll find in this fort."

"Anyone have an idea who we're supposed to meet? Leave it to the Swordlords to grant charter to explore a rich and beautiful land, yet without a hint or a word as to where to begin."

As they approach Oleg's, Drand unstraps his gear from his horse and slings it comfortably over his shoulder. There's no way he's letting it out of his sight.

GenPol
2013-01-14, 04:47 PM
"A hot bath would be more like it," Mazo complained with relish to anybody near him. "I don't think I've ever been dirtier in my life."

Mazo had spent the last few days roughing it on a level he had never imagined, and he was quite proud of himself. He had set up his own bedroll, folded his own clothes, and sharpened his own sword. Mazo had even nearly burnt himself with the campfire trying to cook his own food, a feat he considered quite daring. Yes, this was a hard life, but it would all be worth it in the end.

"I do hope that they have a decent washerwomen."

oyzar
2013-01-14, 06:57 PM
Sylvia Gronzi seems quite at home out in the wilderness. She is not a person of many words and even though she noticed most of the things that Drand pointed out, she did not comment much on it as it was of little significance. There were several animals comming close to the party during their travels, however the party usually made enough noise to scare them off. Even so she had little trouble hunting down food for herself and Elata while they traveled.

Sylvia was wearing tight fitting leater armor as to not hinder her movements. The armor was colored a blend of green and brown so as to blend better into the forests. Her hair was light brown and her eyes green incidentially matching the color of her eyes, though she cared little for how she looked. What mattered to her was what practical. Elata also had a leather armor in similar colors, almost hiding the majestic white and black striped fur beneath the leather. With or without armor, she had no trouble blending into the background.

Upon hearing Mazo's remark she commented: "You are very pretty, but not very practical. We will likely be out in the wilderness quite a bit for this venture so you should learn to enjoy it. Lets venture into this place with so many people that you so enjoy. As Drand says, the more people, the more trouble there will be."

Icilia
2013-01-14, 07:31 PM
"And more trouble is more fun. Fear not pretty ones. Gro'Uark protect you from scary monsters!" He touches the hilt of his greatsword, which he calls Destruction, as he says this. "All men fear Destruction. She is hard woman, but good in battle"

GenPol
2013-01-14, 08:09 PM
Mazo looks at himself in the reflection of his rapier's hilt, and strokes his thin mustache. "I am quite pretty, aren't I?

Incidentally, Gareth, do you know what I did with my comb? Ah, never mind, I'm sure one will be provided for me at the Inn."

Mazo turns to Gro'Uark with a grin. "Ah, but who will protect me from you, my good man? I kid, I kid."

Mazo heads towards the inn, still chuckling at his own joke.

Saidoro
2013-01-14, 09:18 PM
Their point of rest for the night in view, Korala could not help but allow a hint of the fatigue she had built up over the journey to show. In truth she was little more accustomed to the wild than Mazo, but she at least had the good sense not to complain.

A part of her mind fills with thoughts of fire as she approaches the wonderful dried timber of the fort's walls, but she shuts it down with the ease of long practice, neatly excising whatever attention she may have been paying to her comrade's conversation along with it.

redsnake
2013-01-15, 09:04 AM
"Then they're welcome to it," Gareth replied to the back of Drand's head. "Hopefully it'd slow them enough so I could teach them a 'life lesson' and earn enough reward money for a cart and something with four legs to pull it."

As Mazo spoke up and had his ego indulged, Gareth went a little red in the face as he remembered the other burden he carried, the one that wasn't as physical as the others. It seemed nature itself was willing to do the work of Mazo's pursuers, especially after the fire incident along the way. Taking the extra care to look after his oldest friend was taking it's toll as well.

Drawing in one long, soothing breath, Gareth apologized by saying, "Sorry, just a bit cranky today... I'll head toward the tavern or inn or whatever and set up a place for us to sleep if any of you want to come along. Our things should be safer in a locked room. Then I'll see if there are any last minute supplies we need if anyone wants to come along."

"Mazo and someone else should probably see the fort's commander and assure them that we aren't a threat and get as much detail as they can about the Greenbelt. Then a decent meal for all of us. Anyone else have any ideas?"

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 11:21 AM
Robb rides back and circles his companions. "I'll go speak to them, I hope they're nice. I wonder if Mr. Oleg has any daughters."

Thattaman
2013-01-16, 01:00 PM
A middle-aged man walks out the fort, obviously he heard you speaking and observes you all. He is bald and has a slightly rounded head that bears heavy bristle on his chin, he is slightly overweight but not really fat. He is wearing some kind of pron that is covered in dirt. After he realises who you must be he turns to the gate and shouts. "Svetlana! The visitors have arrived, is the stew ready yet?" A middle-aged woman walks out the gates, she looks slightly like her husband but she has shoulder length brown hair, she too is wearing an apron but that has bits of meat on and slops of gravy. "Oh, hello dears." She calls to you. "Come in, I've just made a stew and it's getting cold. My, there is a lot of you. I hope you don't mind doubling up bedrooms, we're not accustomed to having so many visitors. Oleg, take any horses and put any equipment in the store room. Oleg takes your stuff and Svetlana takes you into a small house where a large table is ready for you with thirteen bowls full of steaming beef stew. "Well, tuck in." She says, beeming

alberozuko
2013-01-16, 02:14 PM
Alderaan looks at the two individuals, and says with a reverence:
I am grateful. I suppose you could tell us about the place, if it isn't too much of an annoyance, of course.

Suddenly, he realizes something inside his head.

Oh, look at me rambling before introducing myself! How rude, my apologies. My name is alderaan; and I am a follower of Sarenrae.

While he talked, Alderaan thought to himself that maybe he shouldn't mention his family name, at least for now. If rumors started about an Orlovsky going around with a group of adventures; that would be bad for the business. Those nobles always know any rumor, for small that it may be.

brakisaurus
2013-01-16, 03:01 PM
"Oleg, would you lead the way to the stables? I'll give you a hand with our mounts and pack animals." Drand offers to help Oleg with the animals and equipment. Outwardly friendly, he really wants to make sure that he knows exactly where Oleg is taking them -- and that he properly brushes them down and feeds them, too.

After the animals and equipment are stowed to his satisfaction, Drand will rejoin the others in the common room for stew.

"Have you any news from the Greenbelt?" he asks the masters of the house, hoping to turn up anything that could possibly give them a lead as to which way to venture.

redsnake
2013-01-16, 04:44 PM
Gareth followed along behind Drand and stowed his gear in the storeroom. After that he couldn't return fast enough to enjoy some good food and a nice chair.

Icilia
2013-01-16, 07:11 PM
Gro'Uark drops of his packback, and quickly follows Gareth inside.
"Gro'Uark thank Madam Svetlana and Master Oleg. Gro'Uark hope much stew prepared for feast. He has great hunger."
He attempts a bow to the two of them, before hastly taking a set and reaching for the stew

oyzar
2013-01-17, 01:25 AM
Elata comes out of the underbrush, and joins Sylvia's side. She strokes a hand over her head. "Yeah I am wondering where you plan to put the animals. I prefer to sleep near Elata here. So if you got little space, maybe I will stay in the stables. Though I will come in to eat. She starts following Gareth to take care of the animals.

pirateking89
2013-01-17, 04:07 AM
Lorisdir nods to each of them and, bowing close, mutters a word of thanks in each ear.

After leaning his bow up against a wall and unslinging the quiver, he sits and starts eating the soup slowly, savoring each bite.

Thattaman
2013-01-17, 04:55 PM
The Stew is delicious, and you finish it off quickly, Robb finishes with a loud burp and then blushes as Svetlana looks at him in a motherly way. Finally, Oleg asks you you all. "So what are you going to do about the bandits?"

Icilia
2013-01-17, 06:41 PM
"If leave peacefully, then so be..." Gro'Uark runs a hand along the hilt of Destruction "But if they not, Destruction rain down on them. Trust us friend Oleg, Bandit's no be problem soon for you"

Saidoro
2013-01-17, 07:00 PM
Korala shows mild confusion at Oleg's question couple with mild annoyance at Gro'Uark's potentially premature promise.
I am afraid you may have gotten ahead of us. While we have instructions to deal with lawbreakers in general we were not informed of any specific incursions.

GenPol
2013-01-17, 11:41 PM
Though Mazo was initially taken aback when he was informed that the stew was indeed the only course of the dinner, especially after that treacherous adventure, but when he finally summoned up the dignity to taste it, Mazo found to his surprise that he actually liked it.

"This peasant stew is really quite good. Alderaan, you must remind me to hire a chef for our next journey. I think I would not feel the walking to be quite so dreadful if I were able to face it on a properly filled stomach." Mazo wipes his mouth delicately with the nearest napkin he can find. "Svetlana, my dear, I'm sorry to interrupt, but might I trouble you for a comb? I seem to have lost mine during the great trek over here."

Mazo turns to Oleg. "I'm sorry to interrupt my good man, please continue. You mentioned something about bandits in the area? Nothing our friend, ah, Grow-Orc, was it? Well I'm sure it's nothing our friend here can't handle."

alberozuko
2013-01-18, 03:19 AM
Seeing as the locals ignored him; he decided to make a mental note of not doing any monastery paraphernalia. (It makes me look like a sore thumb.), he thought.

He said, responding to Mazo: I will ask Theodora to come next time, then. WHat better than a first class chef when dealing with assasins?

He looked down, smiling; then he said:

Also, we have been here a while and i have noticed that nobody but the fort master has even looked at us. Is it just me?

brakisaurus
2013-01-18, 03:04 PM
We've only heard tales of bandits abroad in the Greenbelt, but nothing specific as to their whereabouts or doings. Have they been active in the area recently? It is our law-sworn duty to put an end to them, by sword or noose, says Drand.

Thattaman
2013-01-20, 04:18 AM
Oleg looks confused at the fact you know little of their problems. "We were told that as a reward for letting you stay here, that you would help us with the bandit attacks that have been happening to us recently. Were you given the same information?" He then turns to Gro'Uark "Thank you, for your enthusiasm, and help." He says, uncomfortable that there seems to be a savage in his house.

brakisaurus
2013-01-20, 11:31 AM
Oleg, none of this makes any sense. Your trading post...it looks so well fortified. By the gods, you even have watchtowers and catapults! How could a few bandits give you such trouble? Don't you have some hired men around to man these defenses?

Drand is still suspicious of Oleg, and fears he may not be telling us everything.

Thattaman
2013-01-20, 12:18 PM
Oleg just laughs. "This place isn't well defended," He says "The towers are just to hold the wall up and the catapults haven't worked for years. And those spikes are foolin' no one. There as rooted as the rest of this wall. As for hiring me, do we look like nobles to you? There's just me and my wife, trying to live away form crowded streets."

brakisaurus
2013-01-20, 01:13 PM
"Well, Oleg, you sure had me fooled. Can you tell us anything about the bandits? Numbers, strength of arms? Are they men, or monsters? Any idea where they're coming from?"

oyzar
2013-01-20, 04:38 PM
Sylvia is sitting at the table eating the stew. She looks quite out of place inside the building in her clothes optimized for camoflauge. Her long brown hair is unkept, the sharp green eyes seems like they are getting everything that is going on. She is not very comfortable having to leave Elata in the stables. "This stew tastes very good. We were not informed of any agreement to get rid of bandits for food, but this might be a good base of operations for now, and we might need to get rid of the bandits at some point anyway. In addition to information about the bandits out there it would be nice if you could share information about the lay of the land near this post."

pirateking89
2013-01-21, 12:04 AM
Lorisdir nods at Drand's last question and takes out a sheet of parchment and a quill, ready to note anything Oleg does happen to know.

I didn't realize we were already obliged to someone other than the one who gave us our charter. This could prove some complication in hunting.

Thattaman
2013-01-21, 02:45 AM
Oleg looks slightly frustrated. "Well, we've offered our house and food to your cause and this is what we told was our payment." He then turns to Drand "As for information, I can give you some. They've come from inside that wilderness of yours and they're men, well, there was one woman. They've come three times, first time there was twenty of them, includin' their leader with a bow and this awful woman who carried on threatening us. The next to times there was less. Last time there was only fifteen of them and no woman."

redsnake
2013-01-21, 02:19 PM
Seeing Oleg's frustration while he finished his stew, Gareth pipes up to assure his host that his hospitality isn't wasted.

"Don't worry about the bandits. We will take care of them. I kind of figured that was exactly what we were here to do other than to take an account of the Greenbelt. I mean when a charter says 'strive against banditry' there's not much room to interpret that. We're here to kill bandits, so we will kill bandits."

"Other than that, your information helps a lot. It means something else in the belt may be harrying them too. So as soon as we're ready to head out, we will and try to catch them while they're weakened."

oyzar
2013-01-21, 07:35 PM
"If there were others activly hunting them, their numbers would not be gradually dwindling. More than likely they are running into various dangers in the wilderness, for example wild animals or fey creatures. I guess I'll agree to help you out with these bandits. Do you have any provisions we can take into the wilderness, some people in our party does not seem to know how to find food for themselves". The last she says while looking at Mazo.

Thattaman
2013-01-22, 03:09 PM
"I'm not the richest man in Brevoy," He says, "But if you help me I shall let you choose provisions, as long as they're necessary." He smiles at you all. "What do you want?"

pirateking89
2013-01-24, 04:16 AM
Lorisdir takes notes on this possible opposing force, not looking up from his paper form any significant amount of time.

"Food, pack beasts. Do you know of the location of any ruins they may be using for a defensive base?"

alberozuko
2013-02-03, 09:57 AM
After Alderaan had finished his meal (Which he did with astounding speed, a known habit of his); and had listened to the active conversation; he looked at everybody and asked:

I don't want to hinder anyone, but could you tell me if there was any presence of spellcasters between the attackers?
Because casters would require a different kind of planning.

Thattaman
2013-02-03, 12:39 PM
Svetlana clears up the bowls of stew and Oleg looks at Alderaan. "No spellcasters came any of the time and hopefully none will come this time."

Icilia
2013-02-03, 06:16 PM
Then only men and orc needed for solving your problem, friend Oleg." Gro'Uark smiles a toothl orc smile