PDA

View Full Version : New Sending Spell (3.5)

Frathe
2013-01-14, 12:17 PM
Rainbow Messenger
Evocation
Level:Clr 4, Druid 4, Sor/Wiz 5,
Components:V, S, M/DF
Casting Time:10 minutes
Range:See text
Target:One creature
Duration:1 round; see text
Saving Throw:None
Spell Resistance:No

By accessing the power of the rainbow, through the use of a bright light source and either a prism or available falling water, you are able to contact a creature that you have personal knowledge of and send them a message consisting of a three-dimensional image made of light, by default showing the caster, and a spoken correspondence of fifty words or less. The caster must be able to visualize whatever is shown in the image, and the detail of the image is not great enough for the receiver (for example) to make out individual words on a scroll. Creatures of any Intelligence score can receive the message, but their response to it is determined as normal for their score. The receiver is not obligated to act on the message.

Unlike sending (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sending.htm), the chance of successful contact is not affected by the receiver being on another plane. Also unlike sending, the contact is strictly one-way.

Arcane Material Component
A prism (under some circumstances).

Frathe
2013-01-14, 12:19 PM
Anyone know which Greek goddess this is based on?

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-14, 12:34 PM
Iris would be the answer to the second question.
Now onto the spell itself.
I think that it's not too bad. However, this seems like sending 2.0 rather than a different spell, maybe make it clear that it's a one-way sending? The regular Sending spell is like a dumbed down cell phone.
Also, there are going to be few people that will actually prepare that spell or learn it unless they're confident that:
1.) they will be safe during those 10 minutes.
2.) they will constantly be travelling to other planes.

Now I have a question, can you cast a spell using this on some traitorous friend you have a newfound grudge against? Explosive Runes comes to mind in a few cases. :)

Frathe
2013-01-14, 12:42 PM
Iris would be the answer to the second question.
Now onto the spell itself.
I think that it's not too bad. However, this seems like sending 2.0 rather than a different spell, maybe make it clear that it's a one-way sending? The regular Sending spell is like a dumbed down cell phone.

That would be a good idea. I've added a sentence saying it's one-way; that is what I intended.

Edit: I also arbitrarily bumped the word limit up to fifty, to help compensate for the reduced usefulness from being one-way.

Also, there are going to be few people that will actually prepare that spell or learn it unless they're confident that:
1.) they will be safe during those 10 minutes.
2.) they will constantly be travelling to other planes.

That's a fair point. It's more of a themed spell, and not really one you could use in dangerous/combat areas. To help address that, I've lowered the casting time to 5 minutes.

Now I have a question, can you cast a spell using this on some traitorous friend you have a newfound grudge against? Explosive Runes comes to mind in a few cases. :)

...I don't know. I was thinking this would be a spoken message, but I should probably make that clear.

Edit: I added the word "spoken", but I could be convinced to take it out.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-14, 12:52 PM
Hmm, I just had a thought. In Percy Jackson books, the 'sending' sent an image as well.
Would this one send an image of the person as well? After all rainbows depend on light and I'd find it strange that all it sends is sound.
I'd take either increse the casting time or decrease the words if you added this.

Frathe
2013-01-14, 01:18 PM
Hmm, I just had a thought. In Percy Jackson books, the 'sending' sent an image as well.
Would this one send an image of the person as well? After all rainbows depend on light and I'd find it strange that all it sends is sound.
I'd take either increse the casting time or decrease the words if you added this.

You know, an image would make a lot of sense with the rainbow. I'll add a visual component to the message, showing the caster by default. Good idea. :smallbiggrin:

I think in that case I'll increase the casting time too.

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-14, 03:45 PM
Heh, glad you liked it.
Is there anything else you'd like some outside views on?

So far, I think this spell has been put to as much tweaking as it can be without subjecting it to real games.

Frathe
2013-01-14, 06:14 PM
Heh, glad you liked it.
Is there anything else you'd like some outside views on?

So far, I think this spell has been put to as much tweaking as it can be without subjecting it to real games.

Well, if you're offering, I wouldn't mind a look at my planet dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267382) currently up. :smallbiggrin:

Tsunamiatunzen1
2013-01-14, 09:07 PM
O.K. I'll take a look at it. Although from just what I'm seeing, it'll take a little while for me to read through it and come up with a good suggestion for each of them.

Plus, I've never dealt with Dragons before so I might be too one-sided unless I take some time with it.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-14, 09:20 PM
The druid having a method of long-distance comunication is nice; I think the fix our group used to use was to just add Whispering Winds to the druid's spell list. Mostly on the basis that the name has that nature-y feel to it.

The visual component of this is a nice touch, but exactly are the limits? It says "showing the caster by default" by how does it show another creature? Is it only some other creature adjacent to the caster? Can the spell transmit an image of anyone the caster can visualize? What about a panoramic view? For instance, if your message is one about a castle under siege or a forest-fire or something else large scale.

Frathe
2013-01-14, 11:49 PM
O.K. I'll take a look at it. Although from just what I'm seeing, it'll take a little while for me to read through it and come up with a good suggestion for each of them.

Plus, I've never dealt with Dragons before so I might be too one-sided unless I take some time with it.

Thanks. It's fine if you take your time; feel no pressure.

The druid having a method of long-distance comunication is nice; I think the fix our group used to use was to just add Whispering Winds to the druid's spell list. Mostly on the basis that the name has that nature-y feel to it.

The visual component of this is a nice touch, but exactly are the limits? It says "showing the caster by default" by how does it show another creature? Is it only some other creature adjacent to the caster? Can the spell transmit an image of anyone the caster can visualize? What about a panoramic view? For instance, if your message is one about a castle under siege or a forest-fire or something else large scale.

It's meant to be able to show anything the caster can visualize, albeit shrunk to a reasonable viewing size. That includes non-adjacent creatures; it just has to be someone or something the caster has actually seen. If you showed a castle under siege, I was thinking they'd get an image of a miniature castle. I should probably specify size constraints to avoid huge-image problems.