PDA

View Full Version : Triple 20

javijuji
2013-01-14, 06:05 PM
On our last session the DM scored a triple 20 with a Ghoul and ended the life of my character. Instead of it being a sad moment he started celebrating and laughing at me. To be honest it made me feel like ****. I found it childish and very disrispectful. We rotate DM every time we have a TPK and now its my turn. I am not a vengful nor impulsive person so it wont have any effects on his playthrough. But im not sure what to tell him. Any thoughts?

Spuddles
2013-01-14, 06:12 PM
A triple 20 doesn't mean anything, via the rules. You should ask him why he made up a rule just to spite you, and then laughed about it. Suggest that he's not welcome to play in your game until he apologizes.

dethkruzer
2013-01-14, 06:17 PM
A triple 20 doesn't mean anything, via the rules. You should ask him why he made up a rule just to spite you, and then laughed about it. Suggest that he's not welcome to play in your game until he apologizes.

there is an optional rule where roling three 20s in a row is instant death, no save, no nothing. Perhaps he had only briefly, if at all, mentioned the use of sucjh variant.

but regardless of rules, that was a really d**k move off him. Depending on how old/mature your group is, you could maybe pull him aside next time you play to have a little chat about how his actions made you feel. I still probably wouldn't play with this person anymore if I was in your position.

Larkas
2013-01-14, 06:18 PM
Triple 20 = autokill isn't a rule. Looks like he wanted to pick up a fight with you with some of the worst applications of home rules ever. Not only that, he was a jerk. Evaluate if you want to keep playing with someone like that, even as the DM. Regardless, we can't really help you with advice on what to tell him without knowing you, and him, better.

Qc Storm
2013-01-14, 06:20 PM
Perhaps he means 3 criticals in a row? Ghouls have 3 attacks.

It seems like a strange rule otherwise.

Zanthy1
2013-01-14, 06:21 PM
That sucks man, I would feel really bad as well. However, it is not easy to just find a new group to play with, especially if the other players are your good friends. Instead of just quitting, seriously talk to him in private and say that you were upset.

Vaz
2013-01-14, 06:28 PM
And suddenly 10 Solar's land in a blaze of rainbows and butterflies, and tell you 'to not be an idiot when you' re DM'.

Ranting Fool
2013-01-14, 06:54 PM
On our last session the DM scored a triple 20 with a Ghoul and ended the life of my character. Instead of it being a sad moment he started celebrating and laughing at me. To be honest it made me feel like ****. I found it childish and very disrispectful. We rotate DM every time we have a TPK and now its my turn. I am not a vengful nor impulsive person so it wont have any effects on his playthrough. But im not sure what to tell him. Any thoughts?

One of my players asked if we could place the triple 20 rule (I'm sure it's written down as an optional example of a house rule somewhere) and I said no. :smalltongue:

Whether or not that rule is a good one isn't the issue. Laughing in someones face when you kill you character is though.

Adult thing to do is have a quiet word about it and not let it effect how you DM (As picking on him would be just as childish and could ruin the fun for others as well) :smallcool:

javijuji
2013-01-14, 06:55 PM
We use the triple 20 instakill variant rule. And I am fine with that. It was the way in which he reacted to it. As if killing a player as DM is a merit.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-14, 07:01 PM
One of my players asked if we could place the triple 20 rule (I'm sure it's written down as an optional example of a house rule somewhere) and I said no. :smalltongue:

Whether or not that rule is a good one isn't the issue. Laughing in someones face when you kill you character is though.

Adult thing to do is have a quiet word about it and not let it effect how you DM (As picking on him would be just as childish and could ruin the fun for others as well) :smallcool:

The less adult thing to do would be to play fairly during your campaign, but make a point of mocking him mercilessly in both how and why his character dies if and when it occurs.

Less mature still would just be to slug 'im in the jaw for being a jackass.

docnessuno
2013-01-14, 07:05 PM
We use the triple 20 instakill variant rule. And I am fine with that. It was the way in which he reacted to it. As if killing a player as DM is a merit.

Well, depending on your DM style it could be.
I feel kinda satisfied when i manage to kill of one of my players, provided the whole thing didn't happen out of luck (as in your example) or because of bad encounter design on my part. On the other hand i avoid save-or-die as the plague when i DM, and i consider a TPK as a failure on my part.
Obviously laughing in the face of the unfortunate victim is quite rude.