PDA

View Full Version : Favorite material from dragon magazine?

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-14, 07:43 PM
What are the most broken or just fun things from dragon magazine?

Personally I enjoy the alternate spell source feat since I enjoy dual casters :smallsmile:

Snowbluff
2013-01-14, 07:48 PM
Eldritch Claws are pretty sweet.

Lady's Gambit.

Waker
2013-01-14, 07:49 PM
Well, there was an article that introduced a few new races, my favorite of which were the Adu'ja (plant race) and the Gruwaar (furry gremlin fey), both of which I thought were very interesting. A few of the prestige classes also are particularly cool, chief amongst them the Ranger Knight (which mixes Paladin and Ranger in a very nice way), Shen (a shapeshifting monk class) and the Thrall of Malcanthet (whip-cracking worshiper of the succubus queen).

I was also very fond of the ecology articles as well as the details of various deities.

javijuji
2013-01-14, 07:55 PM
DM # 336

Mask of Endless Laughter
+2 Competence Charisma
+5 Competence Perform (Dance)

Anyone whitnessing the wearer's performance (any) must make a will save DC 13 or suffer the effects of Tasha's Hideous Laughter for the duration of the performance.

And here is my favorite part: If removed the wearer must save will DC 23 or literary die of laughter in 1d4 rounds.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-14, 07:59 PM
DM # 336

Mask of Endless Laughter
+2 Competence Charisma
+5 Competence Perform (Dance)

Anyone whitnessing the wearer's performance (any) must make a will save DC 13 or suffer the effects of Tasha's Hideous Laughter for the duration of the performance.

And here is my favorite part: If removed the wearer must save will DC 23 or literary die of laughter in 1d4 rounds.

I think I'm going to need to make a save against laughter after reading about that :smalltongue:.

JaronK
2013-01-14, 08:05 PM
By far my favorite is the Master's Forge from 358. It actually makes craft ranks useful and means that a master smith can make something impressive. Of course, IIRC it takes a feat to use those abilities, which it shouldn't... that should be automatic.

JaronK

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-14, 08:05 PM
A feat, I believe it was called Sacred Outlaw, that stacks cleric and rogue levels for sneak attack dice and turn undead. Rocked the world of my 2e ->3e conversion kender cleric 13/rogue 10. Probably one of the more enjoyable characters I'll ever create.

Palanan
2013-01-14, 08:14 PM
I can't believe #336 was mentioned without singing the praises of the Mystic Ranger. It is concentrated awesome.

Also, #310 and #311 with their variant everythings, and especially the Green Whisperer.

Vaz
2013-01-14, 08:47 PM
I enjoyed the Chromium and Time Dragon articles. Bringing in new dragons has seemed a bit unflavoured (whoever actually uses Incarnum/Gem/Oriental Dragons as opposed to the tried and true Chromatic/Metallic with Class Levels. However these were done fairly easily.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-14, 08:50 PM
The alternative Flaws. They actually hit characters with noticeable penalties at times, since they had prerequisites, and added a lot of flavor compared to the bland flaws from UA.

Psyren
2013-01-14, 09:26 PM
If we're including Dragon Compendium stuff: Sha'ir for power/flavor, Dvati for sheer uniqueness, Tibbits for awesome.

Story
2013-01-14, 09:34 PM
I'm surprised noone's mentioned Chicken Infested yet.

ScrambledBrains
2013-01-14, 09:44 PM
As Psyren said, if the Dragon Compendium counts, Tibbits are a favorite race of mine. One of these days(Once I have a more firm grasp of Psionics), I'm gonna play a Tibbit Psion who spends as much time in cat form as possible.

Otherwise, I'm partial to the Osteomancer(Also from Dragon Compendium.). That being said, I think the class could use a few buffs. The bone abilities it gets aren't cool or versitile enough, IMO. And it could probably use a couple more spell level advancements too.

Alefiend
2013-01-14, 10:31 PM
Back in the original AD&D days, there was an article on tesseracts (reprinted in Best of Dragon #2) that I used as the basis of a high school math paper. It was published in the school journal.

Much later, there was an article (or series of them) about paths of power—arranging thematically related spells into specific progressions that reflected a wizard's training. There were some minor mechanical benefits and some good fluff, and they were an alternative to my hatred of random mix-n-match spell repertoires.

Curmudgeon
2013-01-14, 11:12 PM
A feat, I believe it was called Sacred Outlaw, that stacks cleric and rogue levels for sneak attack dice and turn undead. Rocked the world of my 2e ->3e conversion kender cleric 13/rogue 10. Probably one of the more enjoyable characters I'll ever create.
Sacred Outlaw is one of the less clunky multiclassing feats. That's from Dragon # 357, page 86.

I also like the Divine Gesture flaw from Dragon # 326. That's DSF (Divine Spell Failure; same value as ASF) for casting in armor.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-14, 11:50 PM
Sacred Outlaw is one of the less clunky multiclassing feats. That's from Dragon # 357, page 86.

I also like the Divine Gesture flaw from Dragon # 326. That's DSF (Divine Spell Failure; same value as ASF) for casting in armor.

That's pretty interesting, I wish there was a reason there was asf and not dsf it always seemed weird to me.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-14, 11:56 PM
That's pretty interesting, I wish there was a reason there was asf and not dsf it always seemed weird to me.

Arcane casters must do some complicated hand movements to cast spells, for some reason if I fail to wiggle my fingers 10 times reality won't recognize me as his owner , hence the ASF; but Divine caster literally just "ask pretty please with sugar on top" the big guys above (or below) so they don't need to move at all.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-14, 11:58 PM
Arcane casters must do some complicated hand movements to cast spells, for some reason if I fail to wiggle my fingers 10 times reality won't recognize me as his owner , hence the ASF; but Divine caster literally just "ask pretty please with sugar on top" the big guys above (or below) so they don't need to move at all.

But for spells that are identical the divine spells will have a somatic component that is blamed for asf right? That's what I'm confused about, that some spells on the cleric list that I've looked up have a somatic component.

TiaC
2013-01-15, 12:01 AM

I once made a Wizard who cast his spells by disco dancing. It was very clear that armor would not work for him.

Gildedragon
2013-01-15, 12:12 AM
The phantom sparks flaw is great I think.
Your wizard is so charged up with mystical energies that you literary emit bursts of light. It's something I always have my wizards to themselves with prestidigitation, and here it's already there. Sure it makes you easier to spot, and seems to be dazzling you every now and then, but one also gets a feat for being cool-looking. I'll take that

@thisisacat: your disco dancing wizard+this flaw=you're your own disco lights.

Seer_of_Heart
2013-01-15, 12:13 AM
The phantom sparks flaw is great I think.
Your wizard is so charged up with mystical energies that you literary emit bursts of light. It's something I always have my wizards to themselves with prestidigitation, and here it's already there. Sure it makes you easier to spot, and seems to be dazzling you every now and then, but one also gets a feat for being cool-looking. I'll take that

That sounds like the greatest flaw ever, I now want to take it on every character I ever play. Does it have any mechanical disadvantages other than hiding, because it sounds really strong for a flaw. Heck i'd take it without a free feat :smallbiggrin:

Tokuhara
2013-01-15, 12:33 AM
Among my favorite pieces:

Serenity - aka: the best paladin feat ever. Your abilities are now keyed on wisdom. Have fun with a (legitimate) Cleric 4/Paladin 2/whateverticklesyourfancy X.

Sha'ir - a class that I want to play one of these days. Preferably as a Raptoran Sha'ir/Skypledged/Mage of the Arcane Order.

The druid and cleric variants: while many aren't the epitome of power, the fluff is just smexy.

Anagakok Wizard: Do you want to play a Wizard with access to some Druid spells? Do you want to get free bonuses to rolls? Do you want Illiteracy as a class feature? This is your class then!

Axani - My favorite race ever. PERIOD. +2 Intelligence and Wisdom, Sonic Resistance, and Calm Emotions 1/day? Slap Lesser Planetouched and you are the best wizard ever. Or use level adjustment buy-off

Gildedragon
2013-01-15, 12:45 AM
That sounds like the greatest flaw ever, I now want to take it on every character I ever play. Does it have any mechanical disadvantages other than hiding, because it sounds really strong for a flaw. Heck i'd take it without a free feat :smallbiggrin:
also spot or seach suffers from it. can't remember which off at the top of my head. But then again, why use one's own spot or search, send the rogue to do that... or one's familiar. They're comparable.

Speaking of familiars: hummingbird & butterfly/moth

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-15, 12:57 AM
Does butterfly/moth really work like a normal familiar? That is so weird.

I'm picturing some dwarven tank sorcerer gish with a moth familiar that can speak a secret language and has 150hp, and is more intelligent than the dwarf.

"What was that, Boris? Ask the orc, you say? Okay. Mr. Orc, Boris the Moth wants me to ask you if your mother was a rat or a lizard."

"Boris, that was not a very nice trick. Mr. Orc was so mad, I had to bury my axe in his yammering face to get him to shut up."

Anyway, could be some amusing role play.

Mithril Leaf
2013-01-15, 01:07 AM
Among my favorite pieces:

Serenity - aka: the best paladin feat ever. Your abilities are now keyed on wisdom. Have fun with a (legitimate) Cleric 4/Paladin 2/whateverticklesyourfancy X.

Sha'ir - a class that I want to play one of these days. Preferably as a Raptoran Sha'ir/Skypledged/Mage of the Arcane Order.

The druid and cleric variants: while many aren't the epitome of power, the fluff is just smexy.

Anagakok Wizard: Do you want to play a Wizard with access to some Druid spells? Do you want to get free bonuses to rolls? Do you want Illiteracy as a class feature? This is your class then!

Axani - My favorite race ever. PERIOD. +2 Intelligence and Wisdom, Sonic Resistance, and Calm Emotions 1/day? Slap Lesser Planetouched and you are the best wizard ever. Or use level adjustment buy-off

Pshaw, the Beguiler has +2 Int and +6 Dex. More on topic, the Cansin from the same issue has +2 Int and +2 Cha, and if I recall wizard stats correctly, Charisma is very marginally better than wisdom, due to the whole planar binding thing I think.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-15, 01:16 AM
Of the things not mentioned yet, I'm partial to the additional Totemist soulmelds, Broodkeeper's heart in particular.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-15, 01:54 AM
My absolute favorite is the sorcerer bloodline feats, adding some nice flavor to sorcerers, while also helping with one of their biggest headaches (too few spells known).

Other top features
tibbits, lupin, diopsid, several fighter feats, and the amusing variety of magic items.

TypoNinja
2013-01-15, 01:58 AM
By far my favorite is the Master's Forge from 358. It actually makes craft ranks useful and means that a master smith can make something impressive. Of course, IIRC it takes a feat to use those abilities, which it shouldn't... that should be automatic.

JaronK

A second Vote for the Master Craft stuff here, very cool stuff, I've a Ranger WeaponSmith who blew a feat for it, its my favorite Campaign out of the 5 I'm in.

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-15, 02:28 AM
I'll just list some from the ones I have open right now.

#330-Enter the Far Realm article. Ecology of the Chuul. Spellcraft article: Volume Veneficus.
#333-Knowstones
#357-Arcane Botanical. Spell Sovereign. Plant Companions for druids.

Of course Force missile mage and Mystic Ranger are also favorites of mine as well.

EDIT: I almost forgot. One book has a few feats that will let a druid/ranger get a monster instead of an animal for a companion. I've laways wanted to try it out.