PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding Magic Item Creation

Vaz
2013-01-14, 07:44 PM
In particular in reference to taking an Existing Specific Magic Item, and improving it.

Say for example I have Celestial Armor.

Light Armour | Mithral Chainmail, +3
Cost | 10100 gp
Armour Bonus | +8
Max Dex Bonus | +4
Armour Check Penalty | -2
Arcane Spell Chance Failure | 20%
30 Ft Speed | 20 ft
20 Ft Speed | 15 ft
Weight | 20 lb.

Celestial Armor
This bright silver or gold +3 chainmail is so fine and light that it can be worn under normal clothing without betraying its presence. It has a maximum Dexterity bonus of +8, an armor check penalty of -2, and an arcane spell failure chance of 15%. It is considered light armor, weighs 20 pounds, and it allows the wearer to use fly on command (as the spell) once per day.

Faint transmutation [good]; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be good, fly; Price 22,400 gp; Cost 12,550 gp + 1,004 XP.

I want to modify it.

First of all, that +3 Modifier, is that final? I know that Magic Armour can have up to +5 Enhancement Bonus, and up to +10 equivalent in the Armour Abilities (including Despite having the "Celestial" Enhancement, which as far as I can see gives it; 1/Day Fly, +4 MDB, and -5% ASF, while being able to be worn under clothing as if there was nothing there, as well as having a Good Caster knowing Fly to be able to make it. Does this additional cost have any effect on my adding abilities onto the Armour to make it?

If I have abilities I do not want, can I remove them off? As in the case of removing Fly 1/day - it is such a "minor" ability compared to the reason I want it (+8 MDB) that it will stay with me for my entire build. As such, I'd like it to stay relevant by having additional benefits - Ghost Ward, Blurring+Greater Blurring. Now, those benefits add up to +4, for a total of +7. So I can go up to +10, and 200,000 GP total cost.

So; that means I have 200,000-(22,400-1,100) = 178,700-100,000 = 78,000 GP remaining.

1) Is my Math's correct for the final amount remaining after upgrading it to a +10 Enchantment Bonus equivalent weapon?
2) Are there any excellent combinations available. For the purposes, limited to Faerun setting, MiC, Dragon Magazine Compendium 1.

TuggyNE
2013-01-14, 10:02 PM
First of all, that +3 Modifier, is that final? I know that Magic Armour can have up to +5 Enhancement Bonus, and up to +10 equivalent in the Armour Abilities (including Despite having the "Celestial" Enhancement, which as far as I can see gives it; 1/Day Fly, +4 MDB, and -5% ASF, while being able to be worn under clothing as if there was nothing there, as well as having a Good Caster knowing Fly to be able to make it. Does this additional cost have any effect on my adding abilities onto the Armour to make it?

It looks like it's a +4 equivalent with some thousands of extra abilities on it. So pricing will be based on adding more to the +4.

If I have abilities I do not want, can I remove them off?

Not by RAW, no; you could homebrew a custom version with less on it, though.

As such, I'd like it to stay relevant by having additional benefits - Ghost Ward, Blurring+Greater Blurring. Now, those benefits add up to +4, for a total of +7.

You can add those, but the total price is actually +8, or 64kgp.