PDA

View Full Version : Help me get 9th level spells...if possible

AzazelSephiroth
2013-01-14, 09:14 PM
Hello Everyone!
A while back I made a thread about creating my own Draconic Empire and received some amazing advice! I will be posting some cool updates on what we have accomplished for those that helped me soon, but for now I have a query that I feel only the great minds of the GitP Forums can Answer!

Due to special house ruling by my lenient and yet very cool DM, we are playing in a world/game where monster PCs start as characters of their CR and can either advance by monster advancement or class levels.

I am a young adult Red Dragon (CR12 with a flaw) who is about to take his first level of Abjurant Champion. (becoming ECL 13). I cast as a wizard instead of a Sorc, and I also acquired the Sovereign Lore drake Archetype from Dragons of Ebberon to boost my Casting by 2... so I will be an 8 level caster, and effective char level of 13. A very Powerful being indeed! :smallbiggrin:

My issue is this... I want 9th level spells... and I would like them by 20th level if possible, most importantly because we may be playing these characters into Epic levels and therefore may be accessing Epic Magic... something I have long dreamed of getting to play around with (and yes I know it may lead to a broken campaign:smallwink:)
But after Abjurant Champion for 5 levels, I will be a 17th level character with effective arcane casting of level 12, I can take 3 levels of wizard to boost my casting ability but to level 15 giving me access to 8th level spells... but I know of no way to get to level 17 casting and thus 9th level spells... Now I do not need all of the 9th level spells, in fact for epic casting all I need is the ability to cast 9th level arcane spells... due to HD I will have plenty of ranks in Knowledge arcana, spellcraft etc... and due to the Abjurant Champion Captstone, a CL equal to my BAB...

So my question is this... is there a way to get access to 9th level spells on my above creature? Changes to my build can be made but I cannot go further in Red Dragon (story reasons). Any books and sources are accepted. All I want is the ability to grab Epic Spell casting as soon as possible... hopefully right at my 21st level (my 27 HD). If anyone has a way to do this please let me know... and if it is not possible by ECL20 what is the soonest it can be done?

Fortuna
2013-01-14, 09:44 PM
Well, a young adult red dragon isn't ECL 12. Technically speaking, you're not ECL anything - young adult red dragons and older have LA -, meaning that they're not considered a playable race.

AzazelSephiroth
2013-01-14, 09:57 PM
Well, a young adult red dragon isn't ECL 12. Technically speaking, you're not ECL anything - young adult red dragons and older have LA -, meaning that they're not considered a playable race.

In a normal game you would be entirely correct, however you missed my early paragraph in which I mention the house ruling and campaign in which Monster PCs start as a character of CR=level and then advance by either class levels or monster advancement rules... thus with this system and a flaw my young adult dragon is considered a CR12 or ECL12 char... and with abjurant champion level 1 will be a ECL13 (in our game).

However as I have noted none of this grants me access to 9th level spells by 20 ECL... which is what I am asking about. :smallsmile:

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-14, 10:04 PM
Sublime Chord, perhaps? From Complete Arcane.

Glimbur
2013-01-14, 10:06 PM
The problem is that your character starts at ECL 12 with 7th level casting. 5 levels behind means you can't hit 9's pre-epic without serious cheese.

Serious cheese, for example, would be level draining yourself, turning into a beholder, and taking Beholder Mage. Or level drain, bard, and Sublime Chord.

Then there are various 'have high level slots at level 1' tricks which you might or might not qualify for. I don't remember them offhand... something about a Dragonsblood Pool location maybe.

You might start as a younger dragon so you can get more casting.

Fortuna
2013-01-14, 10:16 PM
Ah, I did miss your houserules.

I note that you're looking for these to meet Epic Spellcasting requirements, and the feat in question can't be taken until level 21 anyway. In that case, Complete Divine's Ur-Priest will get you your first ninth-level slots at 21, just in time for your feat, but only if you enter it immediately. Sublime Chord would do likewise... if you had bardic music already. Since you don't, it comes too late (you'd need a dip in bard or virtuoso). Ur-Priest is also notable because it's divine casting, allowing you to take a short dip before going with mystic theurge (and progressing both ur-priest and draconic casting).

Gandariel
2013-01-15, 03:13 AM
+1 to " drop abjurant champion, go Ur-priest1/Mysthic theurge X"
probably the fastest way to get there. (and it nets you two different spell sources)

RFLS
2013-01-15, 03:16 AM
+1 to " drop abjurant champion, go Ur-priest1/Mysthic theurge X"
probably the fastest way to get there. (and it nets you two different spell sources)

Bonus cheesiness if you level drain before hand to get double ninths.

Darrin
2013-01-15, 07:20 AM
If you can get at least two 8th level spells, then you could use Alacritous Cogitation, Versatile Spellcaster, and Heighten Spell to cast a 9th level spell. Sanctum Spell would also work, probably even better (only requires two feats).

AzazelSephiroth
2013-01-15, 07:02 PM
Thank You all for the amazing Advice! I think Darrin`s may be the best bet as it allows me the chance to cast 9ths while Ur Priest/Mystic Theurge only nets me 8ths... and I will have them anyway... And I am not sure I can convince my DM to allow any level draining cheesiness... he has been more than lenient in allowing the Monster PCs the way he has, and I would prefer to stay more dragon then less.
I have never used Sanctum spell before though... time to research!