PDA

View Full Version : DTK Prequel [IC thread]

thechosen2nd
2013-01-15, 12:09 AM
The Jolly Dragon Tavern

The Jolly Dragon Tavern is usually all but empty on Monday nights. But tonight the bar is packed, overflowing with patrons standing in all corners of the main room, gossiping loudly over recent events. And indeed, they have much to talk about- much more than on most Monday nights. Rumors are spreading through town that hobgoblins have been attacking hamlets and villages to the east, for the first time in fifty years. Some think war is imminent, though some are not convinced. Whatever the truth may be, the town council has evidently heard the rumors as well, and an emergency town meeting was scheduled for Tuesday afternoon. So naturally, everyone is spending the evening at the nearest tavern, speculating wildly about what the future might hold.

Behind the bar a slightly overweight and balding man looks balefully out at the crowd. (Stanley Harbaugh is his name, and he is the tavern owner. He doesn't believe any of this nonsense about hobgoblins, and would just as soon be solving his crosswords as he does on most Mondays, rather than taking care of a bunch of noisy patrons.)

Amongst the crowd a beautiful young Half-Elf barmaid dances between tables, delivering orders of drinks throughout the building with a smile and friendly word for every customer. (Her name is Oriana, and her cheerful demeanor more than makes up for her boss's lack thereof.)

Knock yourselves out. Anything you do in this thread won't affect the actual game, it's purely for roleplaying purposes, to help flesh out your character's personality, and to give you something to do while you wait for the character creation deadline. You don't have to calculate out the coins you spend on a flagon of ale, or money lost on a bet. Just have fun. And don't feel limited by my minimal exposition. Feel free to describe a quieter upstairs room, a gambling table, a stage with musicians playing, etc.

HuskyBoi
2013-01-15, 03:16 AM
Sat in a booth in the corner of the room, Mafalma is laughing and talking with his family. It's been years since he has seen them, and now surrounded by the very extended Ban Simba clan, he and his parents, brothers and sisters are keeping the ale flowing merrily! Elin, his eldest sister, rocks a new-born baby in her arms, who is laughing and giggling at everything in sight. Mafalma takes this to be a very good sign.

As his round approaches, he stands up to push through the crowd and get to the bar, where he pretty soon finds himself ordering sixteen pints of ale to keep the family drinking. Why not, eh? He has a lot to celebrate, and will not let talk of hobgoblins ruin the night!

shugyosha
2013-01-15, 11:10 AM
Dunel

A halfling wearing a tunic of the city guard enters and makes a beeline for the bar. "Excuse me... pardon me... excuse me... pardon me..." He has become a common fixture in this tavern since coming her a little over a year ago. Having just gotten off his shift he looks eager and hungry. Sliding on to an empty bar stool he says, "Stanley, a tankard of ale and food... please." Looking around a bit he then asks about his daughter, "Miry's around?"

Jallorn
2013-01-15, 11:37 AM
Arriving at the bar moments after the halfling, Teryl deshoulders his bag, and then hefts it onto the bar saying, Five gold pieces for you if you'll keep this safe behind the bar for me. Bet this crowd's good for business, eh? Sitting down, Teryl murmers a few arcane words, toying with the little ball of light he creates.

ArchangelAzrael
2013-01-15, 12:15 PM
Ergrim opens the door seemingly casually and scans the room before getting in. At the sight of no imminent danger his muscle relaxes a little but he doesn’t let his guard down. He never lets his guard down. Even on a break and a city as fine as this. As he walks in, he exchanges a few waves and nods with the people going as far as to smile at the sight of the newborn. Taking note on the drinking going on he mumbles to himself let’s hope we don’t have a bar fight on my break. He proceeds to sit on a corner table so he can better keep an eye on the tavern. He tries to catch the attention of Oriana and when he does so he says: Hello there Mam could I have todays special and something cool to wash it down with? That would be all… trying to force a smile on the last sentence.

As he waits for his order his mind rushes onwards... perhaps I should try to convince the council to fortify the wall... nothing much but you can never be too cautious... perhaps organize some drills on the citizen to ease their mind... and assign some patrols as well...

Kasmania
2013-01-15, 12:51 PM
Elise sits by herself, alone at the bar with her cane leaning against her chair, nursing a cheap tankard of ale and waiting for her friend Alayne to arrive. Initially in a pleasant mood, the rumors of hobgoblins flying about the tavern have sunk her into a fouler and fouler mood, to the point where she is now scowling into her ale. She motions Stanley over and asks for some bread, which is promptly delivered.

Thanks Stanley. She sighs as she tears off a chunk of the bread and chews it slowly. Sorry, it's just all this talk about hobgoblins getting to me. I'm sure it'll all be nothing in the end, but all these rumors going around make my leg ache something fierce. Idly toying with her cane, she takes a quick glance around the bar to check for Alayne, before silently going back to her ale.

shugyosha
2013-01-15, 01:46 PM
Dunel

Miry brings out his food and he smiles at her. They banter a bit: he flirts; she teases. Then he says, "I hear the circus is in town."

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-15, 02:58 PM
Mysk Hileweaver

As if sensing the mention of the circus, the doors to the Tavern are opened by one of them. A beautiful human woman enters, dressed in a dark cloak to hide her colorful carnival clothes. Taking her hood off which reveals a purple tattoo on the side of her face, the woman brushes her long blonde hair back and surveys the room. Seeing the room is already getting crowded, and the corners already taken, she settles on a table on the opposite wall and heads across.

Sitting down with her back to a wall, she tries to go about her business quickly. She orders a glass of hard liquor, whatever they have, and then pulls out a deck of cards. Setting some silver coins on the table, just a few, she leans back in the chair and begins to shuffle the cards. She continues to do this while remaining aware of her surroundings, always giving a smile to anyone who approaches. Hopefully someone would take the bait.

Sabishii
2013-01-15, 05:37 PM
Valentyne

The surrounding noises do little to phase the half-elf. He sits alone at a table in one of the darker corners of the tavern, nursing a flagon of ale. A elegant snow leopard lounges at his feet lapping lazily at a bowl of milk. The locals don't seem phased by her presence. Occassionally, the man reaches a hand down to stroke the feline's head. All the while a subtle scowl furrows his brows. The talk of hobgoblins has made his old scars start to ache and fill his mind with memories, some happy, but mostly all grim and sad. A tug at his shirt sleeve breaks him from his trance. He looks over to a small group of young elves, no more than a few years old and a few feet tall.

"Mr. V will you come watch me shoot?" says the bravest of the lot. The rest pipe in with similar requests and a smile plays across "Mr. V's" face. He nods and stands calling to his companion as he herds the children out of the packed tavern.

"Come on Ser." he calls to his long time friend, for now distracted from the gossip of a coming war.

Hamste
2013-01-15, 08:06 PM
Pyrom Aniac

Pyrom thumped into the bar trying to avoid hitting anything with his fake leg. It had been bothering him lately and he wondered if he should see a cleric to see if he could get something to make it stop hurting for a bit. He hoped he could make enough money to afford a regeneration spell soon. He noticed someone shuffling a deck of cards.

You want to play a game? I have nothing better to do. Pyrom said smiling as he ordered a rather strong drink. He was wary of the carnie as this would seem to be the type of thing they wouldn't play fair in.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-15, 08:20 PM
Mysk

"Of course Master Dwarf! But of course. Hopefully some more players will join us, and we can get a good game going." She says with a nod and a warm smile. Pushing a chair out with her leg, she begins to shuffle the cards on the table. As she deals them, she adds "How about Crazy eights. That will be good until we get more people".

Burnheart
2013-01-15, 10:06 PM
Alain strides into the Jolly Dragon, his clothes still dusty from the road and his face flushed with excitement as he marches up to the bar"Stanley have you heard the news?" he asks loudly with a hint of eagerness in his voice "The Hobgoblins are marching again that means glory for us when we drive them off again."

Alain seems to drift off into his own world for a brief moment, a world filled with impossible hero's before he snaps back to reality with a start and looks down into Stanley's scowling face "A pint of your best ale" he asks while reaching into his coin pouch and placing a single large gold coin on the bar between them. Still Scowling Stanley turns around and starts rummaging around behind the bar pulling out bottles to find something for the wild young Half Elf waiting at the bar.

HuskyBoi
2013-01-15, 10:23 PM
Mafalma

As he walks up to the bar for the next round, Mafalma spots the human lady and the dwarf dealing cards. With a smile on his face, he remembers card nights with the troops, and decides to throw his hat into the ring.

"Evening ma'am, sir. Mind if I join you for a hand?"

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-16, 12:08 AM
Mysk

Finishing up a hand, the woman collects the cards before looking with a smile. "Only if you promise to stay for more than a hand. If we can get four people, I'm dying for some poker." Motioning to the chair with a nod, she begins shuffling. "In the meantime, the game is crazy eights. And the dwarf is up 3 games to my one."

HuskyBoi
2013-01-16, 12:26 AM
Mafalma glances over to his booth, and sees his sister wave- she's taking the baby home for the night. Turning back to the card players in front of him, he smiles and claps his hands together.

"Alright then, more than a hand it is then! Deal them out! And he sits to join them, plonking his mug of ale on the table.

"So, you're not local" He says to the lady. "What brings you here to Birchwood? My name's Mafalma, by the way. Pleasure to meet you both"

Sabishii
2013-01-16, 01:05 AM
Valentyne

As the night draws, Valentyne is eventually freed from his young captors and as they depart with sleepy smiles he returns to the tavern. Grabbing another flagon from Stanely he scans the room. His eyes stop at the card game in the corner and the exotic looking woman that sparks perhaps a faint familiarity in the back of his mind. He approaches the table and watches the hand play out before speaking.

"Room for another?" Valentyne queries as he begins to pull up a seat.

HuskyBoi
2013-01-16, 01:12 AM
Mafalma nods to Valentyne, and motions him to sit.

"Four players at last, let's get started on that round of poker!"He nods towards the snow leopard.

"That's a handsome animal you've got there. Travelling companion? You don't see many of that colour round here"

Kasmania
2013-01-16, 01:55 AM
Elise

Elise slowly gets up from her seat, leaning heavily on her cane for support. Wearily, she hobbles over to the young half-elf sitting at the bar. A word of advice to you, young man. Fighting hobgoblins ain't what you think it's like. You might want to keep your voice down around here; some people's got long memories and don't take kindly to gloryseekers.

Without waiting for his response, Elise turns and slowly makes her way towards the poker table, now surrounded by a small crowd of interested viewers. She casually notes the snow leopard, and takes a spot standing nearby, watching the hand play out and waiting for a new round to begin.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-16, 02:46 AM
"You may call me Mysk" She says in response to Mafalma's introduction.

After a few hands, when the two others join in the game, she smiles happily. Her drink was only half gone. Meaning it had been no more than twenty minutes or so. Taking another drink of the brandy, she finishes it off and gives the 'another drink' wave to the bartender. Taking the cards back from the dwarf, whose turn it was to deal, she begins shuffling quickly and efficiently like a pro. It was a minor trick she had mastered, having done it sometimes daily. Giving almost a foot of distance between her two hands, she projects the cards into one clean, blended pile. After a final cut, she begins dealing to the five.
Loudly she announces the new terms of the game."Alright, poker is the new game of choice. Shall we start the buy at two silver? Or is that two rich for you country folk?"

Glancing at the leopard that sits quietly next to it's master she comments "That's a magnificent creature. Never seen a cat like that before. I've a tattoo on my back of one I saw many years ago though. It was much bigger than that cat however."

Burnheart
2013-01-16, 08:00 AM
Alain shrugs off Elises words and collects his beer with nod to stanley before head off to find the Taverns bard, who is drinking quietly in a corner enjoying a break "Hey you must know some of the tales of the last Hobgoblin war" He boldly states, braving the fierce scowl even now forming upon the woman's face "Tell us one then, a tale of glory enough to put some fire into their hearts" he gestures with his arm at all the other patrons gossiping, gambling or nursing their drinks in silence.

Sabishii
2013-01-16, 11:23 AM
Valentyne

As he sits, Valentyne nods to Mafalma's comment. "You know your cats, sir. I found my little girl far from here. She's the closest thing I have to a daughter and I'm the closest thing she has to a dad." Smiling he reaches his hand down and fondly caresses Serenity, who purrs happily in response.

Valentyne smirks at Mysk's jibe and throws in 2sp without hesitation. As he looks over his hand, he replies to Mysk with a chuckle "My Serenity was the runt of her litter. Don't let that fool you though. She's as fierce as a bear and twice as cunning." He looks back to his cards and groans mentally. A bad hand! I better stop drinking if I want to leave this table with at the very least my dignity.

Hamste
2013-01-16, 05:47 PM
Pyrom paid in his 2 sp into the pot. He had always been horrible at gambling but this looked to be good fun. He hoped he wouldn't fail too badly because it wasn't easy for him to get more money from his hiding place. He frowned at his hand. It wasn't very good at all and he didn't have much chance to win this round... then again he only barely knew how to play so no matter what he got, it wouldn't have been likely for him to win.

For the fun of it I am actually rolling my hand. [roll0] [roll1], [roll2] [roll3], [roll4] [roll5], [roll6] [roll7], [roll8] [roll9] 1 being hearts, 2 being diamonds, 3 being spades and 4 being clubs.

HuskyBoi
2013-01-16, 08:34 PM
Mafalma

Mafalma smiles appreciatively at Serenity- his own companion, the lioness Jabari, is at home at the moment, probably asleep by the fireplace. He slings his two silvers into the pot as well.

"Well make sure your girl isn't looking at my cards!" he says with a wink. "They're smart beasts some of them, and I once knew a wizard who's familiar could play a blasted cunning game of poker!" He chuckles at his own joke, and picks up his hand and glances at the cards- not succeeding particularly well at guarding his expression either.

Card rolls:

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9]

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-16, 09:25 PM
Mysk

Mysk carefully examined her cards. Mediocre yes, but certainly enough to win this hand with. But she wouldn't. Let them get a little more financially invested before she actually started trying. "Then he was using his familiar wrong. I once knew an elf with a raven familiar. The damn thing perched up where no one noticed and told the elf everyone's cards. Raise! 1 sp."

The problem with rolling for cards is it's complicated and people can end up with the same cards. "Why are there two ace of spades? I haven't eve started cheating yet.":smallbiggrin:

Sabishii
2013-01-16, 10:19 PM
Valentyne

Valentyne calls the bet. Maybe I can bluff my way through this... He looks at each player trying to discern any signs, any hints. Seeing nothing he gives up and debates what to do.

With a laugh he replies to Mafalma "Ser doesn't much care for our games. In fact she's usually the reason I leave these tables without losing all my money. Tonight though I think I'll live a little. I raise you 10sp!"

Let's see what a bluff roll will do for me. [roll0]
edit: Apparently **** all.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-16, 10:54 PM
A fairly muscular man with a brown goatee, bald, and a beautiful mustache above his lip curled. As he walks he straightens his curls before releasing them back to their cutrled upness.
He sees the group starting to play cards and asks, "Do you have room for another, Ma'dam and gentlemen. Just got finished working on the walls, and I could use a game to relax. "

HuskyBoi
2013-01-17, 12:52 AM
"Pull up a seat, sir! I'm sure we can fit another, once this round is done" Mafalma says to the mustachioed man.

He looks at his cards, and drops them to the table.

"Too hot for me, I fold. So what brings you all to Birchwood?"

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-17, 01:27 AM
Mysk

She studied Valentyne well. Her instincts told her that he was bluffing. 10sp, much too big a raise in the first hand. She could beat him. But she also wanted to come off weak, and lucky later. Even though she could beat him now, she decided to wait.
"He's either a good bluffer, or he's got a good hand. I Fold."

Turning her head to the fellow carnie, she contemplated pulling the old one-two. Cheat, but make it so he wins, thus taking the suspicion off her. They didn't know they knew each other. Even if it was just barely. But no, she didn't know if he would go for that. These were just a bunch of country folk after all, nothing that she couldn't handle if played right.

Sabishii
2013-01-17, 12:25 PM
Valentyne

As Valentyne looks upon Mysk's face, he notices a certain crinkling at the corner of her eyes and a look of knowing. He worried she might call his bluff, but then she folded and at her words he thinks She's playing me. She's playing everyone. Laughs. That tricky little minx.

Waiting on the dwarf he turns slightly to address Mafalma. "Birchdale is my home. Has been for a long time now, though I've only recently returned from a long sojourn."

Hamste
2013-01-17, 03:29 PM
Pyrom wondered why Mysk lied about the person being a good bluffer. Even he could see they had nothing good and he was horrible at telling when people were lying. They could truly have thought they were good at bluffing but a carnie who couldn't call a bluff was not a very good one at all. It didn't really matter as he wasn't going anywhere with this hand. I fold. Pyrom said glumly.

CowMasterTrojan
2013-01-17, 04:42 PM
Msyk

"And the man with the cat wins 7 silver" Mysk announces, speaking what everyone knew to make sure the game keeps moving. Gathering the cards up, she quickly reshuffles them and deals to the five players. This will be the one to win...Don't push the pot too high. Let the country folk do it for you.

"A long sojourn? Where?"

If we would like to continue rolling for our hand, may I suggest something simple. Two rolls, the first a bluff check. The second a profession (gambling) skill check (So wisdom is the untrained ability modifier). Bets are done after the bluff check. How does this sound?

Sabishii
2013-01-18, 02:01 PM
Valentyne

Smiling he gathers the coins in pile before him. He's not particularly proud of the win. He knew his bluff was pretty pathetic, but he was happy to add 7 silver to his pocket if only temporarily. As the cards are dealt Valentyne talks about the last twenty years of his life a part of the king's army.

When about 20 years ago I left Birchdale for personal reasons. Not really having a destination in mind I ended up as part of the king's army. Almost got myself killed during recruitment. Ha. My deployments took me all over the realm, places people dream of inspired by bard's tales. I climbed gorgeous mountains, trekked through the undergrowth of forests with trees that blocked out all but the faintest slivers of light and yet amidst all this beauty and wonder I grew homesick of this colloquial little fishing town. The first chance I got I took and retired without a second thought.

He smiles fondly lost in some fond memory. Snapping to he laughs. Listen to me go on. You'd think I thought myself a bard. What about you Mysk? You must have some great tales tucked away somewhere.