PDA

View Full Version : Blackscale Lizardfolk Wildshape Ranger

willpell
2013-01-15, 07:29 AM
I've decided that this UA class variant is perfect for my previously classless NPC lizardman who's totally devoted to the Druid who reincarnated him into his current form. Making him a ranger was always the plan, but giving up Combat Style for shapeshifting was a stroke of genius, as he's got little reason to do any TWFing, what with his natural weapons and an insane amount of Strength to use on a 2-handed weapon. (Archery might not entirely suck just as a source of ranged damage, but it would still be kind of lame considering how badly you get taxed for the right to add any Strength bonus to attacks with that awe-inspiring military technology, the twangy thing that shoots pointy sticks.)

So now I find myself wondering what the best Wild Shape form for him to use would be when he first uses this ability. One of the reasons he wants it is the ability to become Medium and fit through the doors of human-sized buildings, but I'd also like a form that will let him put his immense Strength to work. I don't recall how many HD a bear has, but I'm guessing it's more than the 5 he'll have as a level 1 Ranger. So what's my best option? Riding dog? Wolf? Something else? He doesn't need utility at the moment, as i'm only planning on having him charge into battle against foes that are only dangerous to the hilariously fragile psion he's currently devoted to protecting (a PC with dangerously lacking self-preservation interests...so in other words, a PC).

I'd also like to put a bit of thought into the Feat he might wish to take when he hits level 2 and gets his sixth HD. Since he's a lot more intelligent than most Blackscales, and has the piety thing going on, I'm thinking perhaps a Devotion feat, but I'm open to other options.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-15, 07:51 AM
Sorry to burst your bubble; but Wildshape Ranger doesn't get Wildshape until level 5, with only one lev h would only get a speed bonus.

willpell
2013-01-15, 10:21 AM
Carp. Thought it seemed too easy.

Alternate thoughts along vaguely similar lines? One level of druid and a wand of something? Or I could just fudge and let him use Ranger wands before level 4, if Rangers have a polymorph or reduce person type spell.

Vaz
2013-01-15, 10:36 AM
Taking Druid simply slows down your Progression for Wild Shape. Sure you can wand it, then, but you have simply slowed it.

No a Ranger does not get Polymorph, except in 3rd Edition Tome and Blood, where it was called Polymorph Self. (As a 4th Level Spell).

willpell
2013-01-15, 10:49 AM
Taking Druid simply slows down your Progression for Wild Shape. Sure you can wand it, then, but you have simply slowed it.

No I meant Druid instead of Ranger, not a Druid level and then Ranger on top of it. If the WS Ranger gets WS at the same time as a Druid, might as well just go Druid instead; he's already got most of the good parts of Ranger (high BAB from MoHu HD, and...well okay that's about it, but that means all I'm really giving up is Favored Enemy and some Skills, and I hadn't picked an FE for him anyhow, unusually for me).

No a Ranger does not get Polymorph, except in 3rd Edition Tome and Blood, where it was called Polymorph Self. (As a 4th Level Spell).

Hm, I'm the GM here so I could houserule that one in. Given that everyone says Ranger is kind of a weak class, it might give 'em some gas. I don't want to make the character a complete Marty Ssssssssstu, but it probably wouldn't be too unreasonable to be a little generous to a Tier 4 character when the nearest PC is a primary mystic (even an intentionally anti-opped one).

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-15, 12:23 PM
Carp. Thought it seemed too easy.

Alternate thoughts along vaguely similar lines? One level of druid and a wand of something? Or I could just fudge and let him use Ranger wands before level 4, if Rangers have a polymorph or reduce person type spell.

Rangers can use Ranger spell wands at level 1. The only requirement for automatically activating a wand is that the spell in question is on the class spell list. It doesn't matter if the Ranger in question isn't capable of casting spell due being low level or having low wisdom.

If you want him to be medium via changing shape, you could give him a way to access Alter Self (wiz/sorc 2) and change into any monstrous humanoid (limited by your caster level and up to 5 HD). A wand of Alter self is pretty cheap (1500 GP) and you can get 3 HD forms for 30 mins per wand charge. A level of Sorcerer (in core their magical ability is explained due having Dragon Blood, as a Blackscale you already have Dragonblood by default) gives you easy access to Alter Self.

Urpriest
2013-01-15, 04:12 PM
Since Wildshape won't take advantage of your high strength outside of Pathfinder, I'd recommend something else that would. Primeval is a pretty cool class from Frostburn that lets you take another form that adds to your stats rather than replacing them, and does so from the first level on. You probably qualify right out of the gate. It doesn't quite have the versatility of Wildshape, and it doesn't solve your size problem, but it seems like the sort of thing this character might do.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-15, 04:58 PM
Since Wildshape won't take advantage of your high strength outside of Pathfinder, I'd recommend something else that would. Primeval is a pretty cool class from Frostburn that lets you take another form that adds to your stats rather than replacing them, and does so from the first level on. You probably qualify right out of the gate. It doesn't quite have the versatility of Wildshape, and it doesn't solve your size problem, but it seems like the sort of thing this character might do.

Ditto, if you have paid for high strength by LA and racial HD, it hardly makes sense to cash in all those benefits (minus your HP, which is static with wild shape), and merely get back something similar to what you gave up. Sure you get lots of mobility options and flavor coolness from Wild Shape, but eh, not so cool when all your regular coolness goes away.

If you are DM, here's a sketchy option; get Wild Shape from Wild Shape Ranger or w/e (have to wait a couple levels), then trade it and your animal companion (ooh, does that variant ranger get one?) for the druid shapeshift ACF from PHB2. I'm pretty sure that the stat bonuses that you get from it are added to your normal stats, so you stand to get a very, very high strength. Still gonna take a couple few class levels to get it, though, and druid might be better off (though if your wisdom is bad, not so good). If you still have ranger spellcasting, you can also cash that in for bonus feat or ranger ACF from Complete Warrior. Really, lots of options.

There is this pretty cool prc designed specifically for lizardmen in Savage Species. Just thought I'd mention it.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-15, 07:36 PM
If you are DM, here's a sketchy option; get Wild Shape from Wild Shape Ranger or w/e (have to wait a couple levels), then trade it and your animal companion (ooh, does that variant ranger get one?) for the druid shapeshift ACF from PHB2. I'm pretty sure that the stat bonuses that you get from it are added to your normal stats, so you stand to get a very, very high strength. Still gonna take a couple few class levels to get it, though, and druid might be better off (though if your wisdom is bad, not so good).

Actually, Shapeshift druids get access to their shapeshifting at first level.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-15, 09:52 PM
Actually, Shapeshift druids get access to their shapeshifting at first level.

Right, but if he were going to use his DMness to fudge wild shape ranger into this, he'd need his animal companion (again, assuming they get one) to complete the class feature exchange required for shapeshift ACF. Being able to use it from level 1 druid is appealing, but it depends on how much Wisdom the character has and how much he was looking forward to the full BAB from ranger.

Otherwise, go druid. Get shapeshift and own.

Op-wise, you probably still benefit more from some class feature with a more front-loaded benefit (e.g., rage, the aforementioned primeval, frenzy, maybe bear warrior).

willpell
2013-01-15, 11:10 PM
Inability to fit through a door is the main problem facing this fellow. He wants to protect the psion, but she insists on going into buildings. She has other protectors, but he's kind of serious about the whole sworn-oath thing. I also had this really cool mental image of him turning into a black, healthy-looking replica of the druid's mangy dog AC, whom the psion has already been skeeved by; it should leave the player nicely conflicted. I'm now debating whether this scene is awesome enough for me to say "Screw the rules, I have plot" over, or if I should just figure on doing something else. I did also think it might be neat to have him get into an unwinnable "boss fight" against something in the mansion's gardens while the psion watches through a giant reinforced bay window, in no danger herself but unable to do much if anything to help the only creature in the party who actually gives a fig about her (the others are just mercenaries).

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-15, 11:42 PM
Inability to fit through a door is the main problem facing this fellow. He wants to protect the psion, but she insists on going into buildings. She has other protectors, but he's kind of serious about the whole sworn-oath thing. I also had this really cool mental image of him turning into a black, healthy-looking replica of the druid's mangy dog AC, whom the psion has already been skeeved by; it should leave the player nicely conflicted. I'm now debating whether this scene is awesome enough for me to say "Screw the rules, I have plot" over, or if I should just figure on doing something else. I did also think it might be neat to have him get into an unwinnable "boss fight" against something in the mansion's gardens while the psion watches through a giant reinforced bay window, in no danger herself but unable to do much if anything to help the only creature in the party who actually gives a fig about her (the others are just mercenaries).

You could just use the squeezing penalties, as long as he isn't actually fighting they are mostly a non-issue.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-15, 11:49 PM
Or just break lots of buildings. At higher levels, handing out money to building proprietors is much more efficient than looking for class features that let you fit into doorways.

Reduce person is pretty easily available in potion form. Maybe even grtr reduce person?

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-15, 11:50 PM
Or just break lots of buildings. At higher levels, handing out money to building proprietors is much more efficient than looking for class features that let you fit into doorways.

Reduce person is pretty easily available in potion form. Maybe even grtr reduce person?

Reduce person doesn't work on Blackscales, they are Monstrous humanoids IIRC.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-15, 11:54 PM
Reduce person doesn't work on Blackscales, they are Monstrous humanoids IIRC.

My bad. So does that leave us with alter self pots?

Interesting option would be for the psion and lizardfolk to use fusion power, then compression. Is there a psionic passwall?

There are lots of solutions to the doorway issue that don't involve class levels.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-01-16, 12:01 AM
A level of a psionic class (probably Psychic Warrior) could give natural access to compression and it does make some sense if the Blackscale is as devoted to the psion as Willpell implies.

Urpriest
2013-01-16, 12:04 AM
My bad. So does that leave us with alter self pots?

Interesting option would be for the psion and lizardfolk to use fusion power, then compression. Is there a psionic passwall?

There are lots of solutions to the doorway issue that don't involve class levels.

There's also the Ring of Reduction (Lords of Madness, Tsochar section), for 20,000gp, but that may be a bit pricy at this level.

At-will Alter Self is surprisingly difficult to get ahold of. I think Thrall of Juiblex can do it, but that's not especially in-character.

willpell
2013-01-16, 04:54 AM

She's way too low-level (3rd, plus LA 2; the lizard is still 2 ECL ahead of her even before I start adding levels to him, hence my desire to avoid doing much of this), and even otherwise, would have to have actually chosen those powers (or have a power completion/trigger item, which I suppose I could give her but it's not the top of my list of plans). She's not an Erudite, so there's no "I own the entire EPH chapter 5 in-character" with her.

A level of a psionic class (probably Psychic Warrior) could give natural access to compression and it does make some sense if the Blackscale is as devoted to the psion as Willpell implies.

He is very devoted, but psionics isn't something you can just have in my game, it has to be gained through various appropriate methods and nothing he's done would qualify. He'll be sticking to druidic magic, I think; Cpsi's efforts at creating "divine psionics" are minimal even in general, and nature-power is not one of the things they got reasonably close to doing well.