PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best way to improve a single Knowledge check ?

Shaynythyryas
2013-01-15, 08:40 AM
My PC just has enough time to try a very long research of a true name, which must end by a high DC knowledge check.

I have many resources at my disposal (including a huge wealth) and I'd like to make everything I can to ensure that single check : spells, items, anything but levelling/taking feats.

Any advice ?

mattie_p
2013-01-15, 09:05 AM
Custom item of knowledge(x) + 30 competence: 90k (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues)

Get a book lot for a library, found in stronghold builder's guide, for up to +6 circumstance bonus on a single knowledge type.

UMD a scroll of Divine Insight for +15 Insight bonus.

EDIT: should have asked, are you a wizard, cleric, something else?

Double edit: this thread (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vzPzoZ0WkH8J:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D4612.0+3.5+morale+bonus+to+kno wledge+check&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) might help, as well as this one. (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:vzPzoZ0WkH8J:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3797&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

rockdeworld
2013-01-15, 09:15 AM
What is PJ?

Off the top of my head:
An item familiar can effectively double your ranks in knowledge.

From Person_Man:
"Knowledge Devotion feat: Make a Knowledge check to gain a scaled insight bonus (up to +5 if you can hit 36 or higher) to hit and damage. Complete Champion pg 60.

Lunatic Insight: You are considered trained in all Knowledge Skills, and gain a +2 (untyped) bonus to Initiative and Mind Effecting abilities. Heroes of Horror pg 123.

Trivial Knowledge: Whenever you make a Knowledge check or a Bardic Knowledge check, roll twice and use the better result. Requires that you be a Gnome. Races of Stone pg 145.

Mantle of Second Chances: Reroll one die once per day. No reason you can't have several, and swap them out each combat. 6,000 gp, DMG II pg 269.

Binder: Though Cha based, all you need is one level to get you into the Anima Mage prestige class, which provides full duel vestige/arcane caster progression. This can get you access to some amazing vestiges, like Balam (reroll any die once every 5 rounds) and Dantalion (+8 unnamed bonus on all Knowledge checks)."

From Thurbane:
Collector of Stories skill trick (Complete Scoundrel p.85) gives a +5 bonus on Knowledge checks to identify the weakness of monsters.

Paragnostic Apostle (Complete Champion p.94) is a decent Knowledge based PrC - synergizes well with Archivist, and grants Lore ability.

Also, one of the 1st level Dragonfire Adept invocations - Draconic Knowledge - (Dragon Magic p.80) gives a +6 bonus of Knowledge and Spellcraft checks for 24 hours.

The Make Your Own Luck feat (Complete Scoundrel, p.79) allows you to expend a luck reroll to reroll any skill check.

Some items:

Book of All Knowledge (Complete Champion p. 142) can give a +10 insight bonus to a Knowledge check, after persuing the book for 2d4 hours.

Tome of Worldly Memory (Magic Item Compendium p.190) gives a +5 competence bonus to a Knowledge check, after persuing the book for 1 minute 3/day. If you have 5 ranks in the skill in question, it only requires a standard action.

Some spells:
Divine Insight provides a 5+CL insight bonus to one check.

Guidance of the Avatar is another good one.

Shaynythyryas
2013-01-15, 09:21 AM
(PJ meant PC, sorry for typo)

Thanks, that... will help a lot.

almightycoma
2013-01-17, 01:54 PM
You could get a crystal mask of knowledge from MiC for +5 its not super powerful but its cheap only 2500 gp

sleepyphoenixx
2013-01-17, 02:00 PM
Improvisation adds CL/2 as a luck bonus

hisnamehere
2013-01-17, 02:14 PM
Make sure your DM will allow "reroll" magic to affect your Knowledge check. Your check is made for a days-long attempt at gathering specific knowledge on a subject, and while you may roll the d20 for the check at the end of the allotted time, the check represents activity you have done over a number of days. As such, DM might not allow the reroll to affect it, arguing the roll is actually made over the course of several days.
That's how I would DM it.

Happy gaming! And good luck with that check. Maybe microwave a couple of d20's in advance as intimidation.