PDA

View Full Version : Scarred Witch Doctor Gish Help?

inertia709
2013-01-15, 01:17 PM
A while back I noticed the scarred witch doctor archetype for orc witches, which replaces intelligence with constitution as your casting stat. Seeing as orcs have a hefty +4 to strength and you'll have hit-points galore with con as your casting stat, I thought what a great gish class. Problem is that witches lose out on some of the nice gish spells, in particular most of the polymorph subschool (though maybe I'm overvaluing this). The strength patron bonus spells fix this, but you lose the bonus spells if you prc into a gish class. So there's the conundrum: great gish spells with lousy bab, or subpar gish spells with good bab. Solutions?

MrLemon
2013-01-15, 01:20 PM
Totally Off-Topic, but I like how the Thread says "Sacred" and your text says "scared". I just can't help imagining a startled orc witch doctor and grin :smallbiggrin:

inertia709
2013-01-15, 01:25 PM
Totally Off-Topic, but I like how the Thread says "Sacred" and your text says "scared". I just can't help imagining a startled orc witch doctor and grin :smallbiggrin:

Hah, missed that typo. The archetype is scared witch doctor.

Malimar
2013-01-15, 01:29 PM
Hah, missed that typo. The archetype is scared witch doctor.

It's actually neither scared nor sacred. It's scarred.

inertia709
2013-01-15, 01:34 PM
It's actually neither scared nor sacred. It's scarred.

I love how this thread has been entirely dedicated to correcting my typos/spelling.

Ryulin18
2013-01-15, 02:17 PM
The scarred witch doctor is a fantastic class archetype and would lose out on a lot cross classing, cackle being the worst loss. Cackle being a move means that you'd lose a lot of actions and possibly your hex's would count down and be lost. In my opinion, you should focus on complete control of the battlefield.

The only combat feat for witches is hex strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/hex-strike-combat).

For melee, don't bother cross classing. Hire a minion or carry a scythe. Get Accursed hex (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/accursed-hex) for double fun and carry a scythe. You will be able to coup de grace with the DC being 10 + ((2d4+str) x 4). Not much can survive that.

TopCheese
2013-01-15, 03:03 PM
I'm making a caster Scarred Witch Doctor (human through racial heritage) and I have to say having 141 hp (+6 belt of con and maxed out con at creation) really really is just fantastic (level 10)

This is the first time I've played a caster since playing MoI (caster/MoI mix) and so far I'm loving the witch build.

If Only they would make MoI and soulcaster hmmm

Corlindale
2013-01-15, 03:10 PM
I would go with a single-classed witch and pick the Transformation patron. As a shapeshifter your BAB matters much less because you rely on natural attacks, and you can get a huge strength score from the spells in order to compensate further. HP would have been the biggest problem, but Scarred Witch Doctor fixes that perfectly.

Also remember that hexes are SU abilities, which means you can keep using them even while shapeshifted - which will really help expand your options.

Psyren
2013-01-15, 05:24 PM
I would go with a single-classed witch and pick the Transformation patron. As a shapeshifter your BAB matters much less because you rely on natural attacks, and you can get a huge strength score from the spells in order to compensate further. HP would have been the biggest problem, but Scarred Witch Doctor fixes that perfectly.

Also remember that hexes are SU abilities, which means you can keep using them even while shapeshifted - which will really help expand your options.

This is a brilliant suggestion. Shapeshifting has been nerfed considerably in PF but, with a Con-based caster, you should stay very effective in melee. Strength is a good choice of patron too.

NamelessNPC
2013-01-15, 09:13 PM
I'm making a caster Scarred Witch Doctor (human through racial heritage) and I have to say having 141 hp (+6 belt of con and maxed out con at creation) really really is just fantastic (level 10)

This is the first time I've played a caster since playing MoI (caster/MoI mix) and so far I'm loving the witch build.

If Only they would make MoI and soulcaster hmmm

That build is technically not RAW legal, because at character creation you choose your class before your feats. I know only a really tight DM would object this, but I wanted to bring it to your attention.