PDA

View Full Version : [DM] - Delicate Issue. A d20/Pathfinder Modern Time Traveler in normal 3.5 setting.

killem2
2013-01-15, 02:03 PM
Ok, so in my group, we're on hiatus while another person is taking dm duty with his own session. In the mean time I am in the process of giving a big surprise (in his favor).

We have a player who has played with me as the DM for 5 sessions, 1 with the new dm (his step dad).

Well the kid is 15, he's shy as all hell, and he opens up to his step brother and step dad in regards to d&d in private about what sounds cool to play and so on but in practice he's a liability to the party. He's a half orc barbarian 6/War hulk 2. He constantly is having to be told what to do because he's so shy about opening up. D&D isn't really in his wheel house, he is a hard core Call of Duty player, could talk endlessly about this. He does enjoy playing, but we can't keep telling him what to do, we want him to come out of his shell and enjoy it.

We have talked candidly with him about what he enjoys and he perked up when we talked about things like d20 modern and pathfinder modern, shadowrun, ect old school modern games and what not. So I'm going to bend the rules a bit to get him interested :smallcool:.

Well, in my games, I'm pretty open to just about anything. I don't allow Homebrew, but i do allow all UnUpdated 3.0 material/3.5 material/dragon/dungeon and related 3rd party books.

I also allow with my approval pathfinder, just to make sure it doesn't add more rules. This time however, I am going to make an exception because I want him to come out of his shell, I want him to have fun, and I want him to be able to relate.

I am going to throw a wicked curveball, with some sort of character that uses modern weapons who has been slung far far back in time. Modern in the sense of AK47s, RPGs, M16s, Frag Grenades ect.

Think, call of duty player falling right into this fantasy campaign.

Don't worry about balance, or flavor and their implications on a fantasy setting.

My question is, which system is the best to adapt to 3.5? Which has the least amount of rules to deal with, but still staying as close as possible to same overall function of roll d20, hit ac, roll damage, go on.

If I have to combine bits an piece from everything, then I'm ok with that.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-15, 02:57 PM
D20 modern will work with 3.5, but if power is what you are going for it will seem lackluster after level 6 unless you also implement the massive damage save from d20. Creature that take more than their con in damage normaly risk death in d20 modern, so HP are less meaningful at levels higher than 6.

Otherwise give him a 10 gauge auto shotgun and go to town.

Altair_the_Vexed
2013-01-15, 02:59 PM
I'd recommend that you take the equipment from d20 Modern, and give it to a D&D character class: d20M classes are fairly weak in comparison to D&D. You'd have to either treat firearm proficiencies as they are in d20M (each with their own feats which you bring over into D&D, allowing him to replace each of the weapon feats of the class with one Modern one), or you could say that personal firearms are Martial weapons, and so on . That method opens up firearms to the whole world, though - which may not be what you want.
Fighter and Rogue work most simply, but maybe you might let him play some sort of John Woo action movie hero, by allowing the Monk to treat pistols as monk's weapons? Flurry of blows at range could almost take the monk of that bottom tier...

killem2
2013-01-15, 03:01 PM
How easy would the gunslinger class from pathfinder adopt the modern fire arms?

Vaz
2013-01-15, 03:14 PM
Hmmm This could go either way. But what about an Artificer of Trap maker, 'cheat him' into it - that M4 with UGL you' re using? It is Repeating Heavy Crossbow with Alchemical Fire grenades. That C4 was a Fireball trap. I remember reading about a Flaming Elephant refluffed as a Blazing extraplanar lion like creature the size of the Jones' barn conversion, in reality an Elephant with the flaming template.

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-15, 03:20 PM
That would actually be not a bad idea. Port over the d20 guns, maybe the rules for autofire. Another option for fast firing guns is to do the following, semi auto guns act as normal, burst capable or autofire guns grant the manyshot feat or allow the manyshot feat to be used at no penelty if you already have that feat.

Touch attacks within the first range increment will simulate that a .50 will go through plate like butter even at 150ft.

killem2
2013-01-15, 06:10 PM
D20 modern will work with 3.5, but if power is what you are going for it will seem lackluster after level 6 unless you also implement the massive damage save from d20. Creature that take more than their con in damage normaly risk death in d20 modern, so HP are less meaningful at levels higher than 6.

Otherwise give him a 10 gauge auto shotgun and go to town.

I do know he said his favorite weapon is the M16 and the RPG, so how I get those in would be perfect. I don't think he cares about power so much. Since we have new people coming to this group, melee is going to be heavy so having him move to ranged is going to be easy.

I'm hoping this really works out. I think just the imagination of it will be good enough :).

I'd recommend that you take the equipment from d20 Modern, and give it to a D&D character class: d20M classes are fairly weak in comparison to D&D. You'd have to either treat firearm proficiencies as they are in d20M (each with their own feats which you bring over into D&D, allowing him to replace each of the weapon feats of the class with one Modern one), or you could say that personal firearms are Martial weapons, and so on . That method opens up firearms to the whole world, though - which may not be what you want.
Fighter and Rogue work most simply, but maybe you might let him play some sort of John Woo action movie hero, by allowing the Monk to treat pistols as monk's weapons? Flurry of blows at range could almost take the monk of that bottom tier...

I do agree, the classes from what I could see are lame. I would probably allow him to just have a weapon group firearm. Yeah a fighter build, or the gunslinger class may work out best. Maybe even feat him out with two weapon pistols. :)

Hmmm This could go either way. But what about an Artificer of Trap maker, 'cheat him' into it - that M4 with UGL you' re using? It is Repeating Heavy Crossbow with Alchemical Fire grenades. That C4 was a Fireball trap. I remember reading about a Flaming Elephant refluffed as a Blazing extraplanar lion like creature the size of the Jones' barn conversion, in reality an Elephant with the flaming template.

I seriously considered that, not those specific classes, but something along those lines. Then I just figured, F*** IT it is d&d and I am the dm, I do just about anything I want lol.

That would actually be not a bad idea. Port over the d20 guns, maybe the rules for autofire. Another option for fast firing guns is to do the following, semi auto guns act as normal, burst capable or autofire guns grant the manyshot feat or allow the manyshot feat to be used at no penelty if you already have that feat.

Touch attacks within the first range increment will simulate that a .50 will go through plate like butter even at 150ft.

Are you referring to the gunslinger in pathfinder with your reply? (sorry it came in quickly after mine)

In other news, killing off his warhulk, is going to be fun. :) I think a trio of huge crocoidiles when they go into the swamp lands to get to the next quest!

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-15, 06:48 PM
My response was to the gunslinger class. PF classes are a lot of fun for the options they give beyond just attacking.

Arbane
2013-01-15, 11:45 PM
What's the plan for when/if he runs out of ammo?

killem2
2013-01-16, 12:26 AM
What's the plan for when/if he runs out of ammo?

Pretty unlikely, I plan on using his wealth by level to buy lots and lots of ammo. Tens of thousands of rounds.

If he does, well, better start finding a bow :)

bobthe6th
2013-01-16, 01:06 AM
I mean, you could just say he can buy an infinite ammo mod for the weapons. Just like 1000 gp or something.

Or you could give a FPS feel and have ammo boxes from the future falling down around this guy every once in a while. Could even make them tactical challenges (The box of 100 M-16 rounds will disappear in three rounds. There is a nice big wall of foes in the way. Figure something out.)

But I have to ask... all of 3.0, 3.5, some pathfinder, 3rd party sources... and no brew?

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-16, 08:17 AM
Craft checks could make ammo. Also this sounds like a job for a weapon enchantment. Unlimited ammo sounds like a +1 enchantment.

killem2
2013-01-16, 10:30 AM
But I have to ask... all of 3.0, 3.5, some pathfinder, 3rd party sources... and no brew?

If there is something out there, I'll look at it.