PDA

View Full Version : Building Mirrodin in D&D

koboldish
2013-01-15, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone!

I have recently been selected to DM for a group. We all play magic, so I decided to run a campaign on Mirrodin, our favorite plane. I can't remember names at the time, but some wonderful forum members posted things on Mirrodin and Phyrexia which I will be using. Thanks guys! :smallbiggrin:

I shouldn't have that much trouble making creatures, I'll probably just slap some constructy templates on existing creatures/animals. I have problems with two things though:

A map of the plane
Has one ever been made? I know there are some landmarks described on the Wizards website. If someone would be willing to help, that would be great.

A magic system
I don't want the world to have gods. I can refluff clerics/healers/archivists as arcane, so that won't be a problem. I do wan't to have a "mana" based magic system though. You would regenerate "mana" points slowly, with a pool based on your total spells. Wizards and things would still have to prepare spells (I'm not sure how that would work, mabye I would have to use a generic "mage" class). Also, I would like mana to regenerate faster if the PC was near a "mana node", or other place of magical importance. Has this ever been done? Could I have some help with this? Thanks.

Note: The magic system will be for 3.5

Thanks in advance

nxwtypx
2013-01-16, 11:16 AM
I went and created the Arcbounds a while ago (http://nxwtypx.quazen.com/games/the-arcbound-constructs-magic-the-gathering-d20-2/). I have some Myr too, but they're yet posted to the web.

Zaydos
2013-01-16, 11:22 AM
I assume from your post that you have seen the old thread on these forums for homebrewing phyrexians.

Any idea what time in Mirrodin you want to base it in (I'm guessing 2nd block during the phyrexian invasion)? Also any idea what levels you want the big nasty named characters to be?

Don't know where to find maps.

As for the magic system you might want to look at Recharge Magic (Unearthed Arcana) for a starting point, though it's been years since I looked at it so it might not be too close.

C.J.Geringer
2013-01-16, 12:08 PM
i thinkt the easiest way is to look at elemental magic and adapt it to the 5 colors. Looking for Mark Rosewater color philosophy columns may help.

If you want to you can actually use a deck for your spell casting system, you can just assign a type of action to drawing cards(e.g.: 3 cards=half action), the casting time can be based on the mana cost.

You can either set up a conversion table(e.g.:1 MTG damage = xdy damage). obviously not all magic cards would be appropriate, so you would need to decide which ones are accepted. You can also assign equivalent spells(e.g: card x is spell y)

thethird
2013-01-16, 05:51 PM
All hail Phyrexia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186026)!

koboldish
2013-01-16, 07:09 PM
The deck idea sounds interesting, I'll ask my players. The campaign will start pre-Phrexia Invasion, but post Memnarch. No ridiculus named characters yet, I think the names characters will be around 15th level. I'll be starting at level 1.
Any ideas on the map?

ArcturusV
2013-01-16, 07:18 PM
Well, based on how stuff was described (At least in the first novel), you have the following locations:

The Tangle which borders on one side the Oxxida Mountains, and on another border has the Razorgrass Plains.

Oxxida Mountains which border the Quicksilver Sea (But not the Tangle).

The Knowledge Pool, and home of the Veldakin in the Quicksilver Sea.

And the Mephidross which borders the Razorgrass Plains, but not the Tangle.

And inside the planet (Underdark style), is Mirrodin's Core and Panopticon which may or may not have utterly been destroyed when the Green Moon was birth. I say May or May Not due to the nature of Panopticon being described as Darksteel Forged in the novels, and Darksteel is well... indestructible.

Sorry that's all I can help with. Wish I could do more but that's all I know.

koboldish
2013-01-16, 07:22 PM
They posted some more on the wizards website, so I already knew about the notable locations. My question was on the locations of the notable locations. Thanks for the help though. I think the core as an underdark type thing would be cool. Half construct aboleths! Goodbye players.....

ArcturusV
2013-01-16, 07:28 PM
Yeah it was all very vague... The only things I really remember from the novel on specific things is things like the Kha's city was a day's march from the Mephidross. (So 30 miles from it's borders). And it took something like a week for them to walk from the Radix (Where the Green Moon was born) to said Kha's city so that's about 210 miles.

Otherwise everything travel wise was either too vague or used handwaving methods like magical flight, or Bosh carrying people (A giant with a who knows speed walking 24 hours a day), which makes it far too hard to judge.

koboldish
2013-01-16, 07:32 PM
I guess I'll just have to make a map, because I am not skilled in the art of Google-fu. Or there's probably just not one on Google. Well, thanks for the help. Any ideas for adventure hooks? Post Memnarch, pre New Phyrexia.

ArcturusV
2013-01-16, 07:44 PM
I'd have to reread my novels to see where Mirrodin ended up or what hanging plot hook potential was never addressed.

Though Geth is on the loose if I still remember. And Geth is very typical Archvillain fodder to use. Also in that sort of glorious bastard way that he might also be a strange ally at times. He's definitely the sort who can and will (and did as I recall) say "Hey, I usually try to kill you but this other asshat Planarwalker is all up in my business, and might incidently destroy all you love and cherish as well, so how about we team up?" It's something that happens a lot in fiction but not often in DnD so it'd be fun to see.

Though your local paladin may rage and Smite at such a plot point.

The Myr are masterless since Memnarch got Face Melted by Karn, so there is definitely plot fodder there as these beings which are everywhere on Mirrodin are masterless and could be taken under the thrall of a skilled wizard or artificer.

The Golems started waking up with the birth of the Green Moon (Or Sun I suppose depending on which culture you're from). So this has a very battle for the world feel as the Golems, the original inhabitants, may not exactly get along with all the fleshy beings.

The Leonin and Auriok got just sundered by forces from the Dross before the end of the last novel in the Mirrodin Cycle, so rebuilding their nations is more obvious plot fodder for the altruistic minded.

There's the natural, or rather unnatural, infection of the fleshy beings going on. Each generation gets more metalic and artificial, losing more and more natural qualities. Finding a way to counter this trend or bring more full humanoid/fleshy stock to stave off the effects might be a plot focus as well.

Just the ones coming off the top of my head based on how the setting ended up after Memnarch got blasted.

koboldish
2013-01-16, 07:57 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!