PDA

View Full Version : Cleric - Looking for tips

Nullmancer
2013-01-15, 05:11 PM
A friend of mine is starting a level 10 campaign, and I don't know what he's going to have in it, but I've been screwed around with a lot as of late, and it's time for revenge. Let's suffice it to say, I've been a healer and support for too long. Here is what I have thus far.

Rolls: 15/15/14/13/11/10
Class: Some kind of evil Cleric
Domains: Up to suggestions

Main thoughts:
Priority number 1: High DCs
2) undead are cool, but not necessary. they're a hassle to take care of, and so easily detectable, it's ridiculous.
3) I want to be able to mess with people when given a chance. Random Hold Person while in a dark room. Add in Summon Swarm. You get the idea.
4) I like keeping combat an option if I have to, but that's where divine favor and other buffs come into place. I don't need battle intensive feats, just versatile ones I can use.
5) If nothing else, refer to #3. The problem my group has is they don't fully understand morality. There is a difference between right and wrong. They see gray everywhere. I want to show them the definition of evil.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Edit: all books are allowed. no dragon magazine. no tome of battle, sadly :(

andromax
2013-01-15, 05:35 PM
I like to start off with 3 lvls of cloistered cleric for the extra domain, and then prestige out to church inquisitor.

Then Ordained Champ for 5 lvls if you like to hit things(Wis to hit and dmg, and move action spell storing, smite anything..), or a full progression PrC if you dont care for that.

By 5th lvl you could have as many Domains. By trading them in for as many as 3 devotion feats (complete champ) you have 2 left to use substitute domain spell with. Which can allow you all sorts of options, such as temporarily having the scribe scroll feat (rune domain) as well as any other domain, and scribing a huge variety of arcane spells as divine spell, not to mention being able to change out domain powers (the real gem of domains IMO) on the fly to suit your needs

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-15, 05:37 PM
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D1238.0

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D10556

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:www.minmaxboards.com/index.php%3Ftopic%3D2733.0

Have you read those?

Nullmancer
2013-01-15, 05:39 PM
I was WONDERING where those were. Thank you. What happened to Minmax boards? Do you know?

Nullmancer
2013-01-15, 05:42 PM
I like to start off with 3 lvls of cloistered cleric for the extra domain, and then prestige out to church inquisitor.

Then Ordained Champ for 5 lvls if you like to hit things(Wis to hit and dmg, and move action spell storing, smite anything..), or a full progression PrC if you dont care for that.

By 5th lvl you could have as many Domains. By trading them in for as many as 3 devotion feats (complete champ) you have 2 left to use substitute domain spell with. Which can allow you all sorts of options, such as temporarily having the scribe scroll feat (rune domain) as well as any other domain, and scribing a huge variety of arcane spells as divine spell, not to mention being able to change out domain powers (the real gem of domains IMO) on the fly to suit your needs

And this will be duly noted. I've looked at Cloistered Cleric as inferior to the base class, but seeing things in this light might change that. haha Thank you

andromax
2013-01-15, 05:42 PM
They got haxed

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-15, 05:48 PM
Cloistered Cleric is NOT inferior to the base class, because of Knowledge Devotion!

For example, look at this Cleric 'handbook':

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php%3Ftopic%3D10961

And the Iconic Cleric Archer there...

Nullmancer
2013-01-15, 05:50 PM
Hmmm...looking at these handbooks, I found Kobold as an optional race that is particularly nasty, yet, I don't understand how. What can a lizard spear thrower do against a giant that's about to squish it? Aren't they super weak or something?

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-15, 05:53 PM
Monster Manual 1-only Kobolds are weak, sure.

But in like, 10 different books and online articles, they are each given tiny little upgrades.

The trick is to take all of those little upgrades, put them together, and end up with a seriously powerful character. For example, how does +3 to Int/wis/cha for the price of one first level feat sound?

docnessuno
2013-01-15, 06:14 PM
One of the most notorious Kobold powerups id the Dragonwrought feat, witch change their type to dragon. There is a long debtate going on if that would qualify them or not for options restricted to "true dragons", but regardless this means they take no penality for ageing. As a consequence a venerable dragonwrought koblold gets +3 to all of their mental stats for no drawback.

And speaking of age, with 4 "odd" stats, even if you want to play a normal race i'd consider making it middle-aged.

andromax
2013-01-15, 06:47 PM
Yeah Kobolds are rad.

Take a look at the Blackwater domin in Stormwrack.. Evards black tentacles as a 3rd lvl spell and the 5th lvl spell there is pretty nasty.

Story
2013-01-15, 09:43 PM
Do you have to be a Cleric? When I hear "Evil Cleric", I think Ur Preist.

Go Wizard 5/Ur Preist 2/Mystic Theurge and make your friend cry.

If Dragonlance is allowed, be sure to take Academic Priest.