PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Telekinesis (combat maneuver)

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-15, 05:23 PM
I have a lot of questions about this spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/telekinesis.htm) used for the combat maneuver option, though if you're lazy... a negative answer to #1 makes all the other questions unnecessary, as the modifiers simply aren't high enough to be useful to my wizard without it.

1. Can it benefit from Empower Spell metamagic, to boost the maneuver check / attack roll?

2. Can you use the combat maneuver option on more than one target per casting?
--2a. If yes, and you fail to overcome one creature's SR, does the spell completely end, or you simply can't target that creature anymore with this casting of the spell?

3. You can use the maneuvers on a creature of any size?
--3a. You do not apply any size modifier you may have to the roll?

4. Does the Grapple option deal damage when you successfully grapple?
-- 4a. If yes, how much damage? For a medium human wizard, would it be 1d3 + int mod damage?
-- 4b. If it deals damage, what kind of damage is it? Force?

5. If an ally shoots into a telekinetic grapple, does he face a 50% chance of "hitting the other grappler", which in this case is an invisible force?

6. I assume Freedom of Movement would still protect against a telekinetic grapple, since it's a magical effect hindering movement, and that teleporting out would still work because doing so momentarily breaks line of effect for the spell?

GoddessSune
2013-01-15, 06:00 PM
1. Can it benefit from Empower Spell metamagic, to boost the maneuver check / attack roll?

Empower Spell does not effect opposed checks, so no.

2. Can you use the combat maneuver option on more than one target per casting?
--2a. If yes, and you fail to overcome one creature's SR, does the spell completely end, or you simply can't target that creature anymore with this casting of the spell?

Yes. The spell just does not effect the SR made creature for the rest of the duration.

3. You can use the maneuvers on a creature of any size?
--3a. You do not apply any size modifier you may have to the roll?

Yes. The spell effect has no size.

4. Does the Grapple option deal damage when you successfully grapple?
-- 4a. If yes, how much damage? For a medium human wizard, would it be 1d3 + int mod damage?
-- 4b. If it deals damage, what kind of damage is it? Force?

You can attempt to deal damage with a grapple, but it's not automatic. See the grappling rules. You'd use your size for the base damage. Grapple damage would be untyped damage.

5. If an ally shoots into a telekinetic grapple, does he face a 50% chance of "hitting the other grappler", which in this case is an invisible force?

Ranged attacks randomly strike one of the people in the grapple, you can't aim at a specific target. Melee attacks do not have this limitation. But a 'telekinetic grapple' would be a ranged attack.

6. I assume Freedom of Movement would still protect against a telekinetic grapple, since it's a magical effect hindering movement, and that teleporting out would still work because doing so momentarily breaks line of effect for the spell?

Freedom of Movement protects you from all grapples, yes. You can teleport out of a grapple no problem, as long as you can activate the effect.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-17, 12:23 AM
Well, that's dissapointing....

In regards to your answers...

4. What do you mean, "it is not automatic"? The grapple rules state that when you initiate the grapple and succeed, you both become grappled with the foe *and* deal unarmed strike damage. If you start a turn grappling, "damage an opponent" becomes one of the options along with pin, move the grapple, etc... So I was wondering if when you establish a grapple with TK, it deals damage. And would the damage be, basically, unarmed w/ casting stat mod instead of str to damage? Ie, 1d3 + int mod for a medium wizard?
Step 3
Hold. Make an opposed grapple check as a free action.

If you succeed, you and your target are now grappling, and you deal damage to the target as if with an unarmed strike.

If you lose, you fail to start the grapple. You automatically lose an attempt to hold if the target is two or more size categories larger than you are.

In case of a tie, the combatant with the higher grapple check modifier wins. If this is a tie, roll again to break the tie.

6. I don't know what you mean by "the TK grapple would be a ranged attack." I was asking about others shooting into your TK grapple. Would they have a 50% chance of hitting.... the force effect, I guess? Or is it impossible for them to not hit the enemy since there's nothing actually physically there to hit other than him?