PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat handbook?

GrumblyBear
2013-01-15, 06:43 PM
My googlefu hasn't managed to turn up a handbook dedicated to being a mounted warrior.

I was curious if anyone here knew of one that exists... If not, any chance helping me with a build?

GutterFace
2013-01-15, 07:20 PM
you can start here and look at the all feats the follow this

its how i started my build. was fun! spirited charge and ride by attack for the win

http://dndtools.eu/feats/players-handbook-v35--6/mounted-combat--1992/

Darrin
2013-01-15, 08:18 PM
This may be a noble endeavor, but I fear the mounted combat rules would need too many house rules to be functional. Ride-By Attack doesn't work by RAW (you can't charge through your opponent's square), and Spirited Charge is confused about who is charging (the rider can't move while mounted and thus can't charge).

Bogardan_Mage
2013-01-15, 09:40 PM
Spirited Charge is confused about who is charging (the rider can't move while mounted and thus can't charge).
That seems unnecessarily nitpicky. Even the base mounted combat rules use the phrase "When charging on horseback" in a context that makes it perfectly clear (in case it wasn't already clear, somehow) that it's the mount that's actually doing the charging. It's not a houserule to read "When mounted and using the charge action" as referring to the mount charging.

Darrin
2013-01-15, 10:09 PM
Even the base mounted combat rules use the phrase "When charging on horseback" in a context that makes it perfectly clear (in case it wasn't already clear, somehow) that it's the mount that's actually doing the charging. It's not a houserule to read "When mounted and using the charge action" as referring to the mount charging.

"When mounted and using the charge action, *you* deal double damage with a melee weapon". *You* unambiguously refers to the rider.

The mounted combat rules refer to when the mount charges, the rider gains the same benefit as the mount. At no point do the rules specify what actions the rider should take while the mount charges, but until he dismounts and on his own feet, he's not capable of charging.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-01-16, 02:45 AM
"When mounted and using the charge action, *you* deal double damage with a melee weapon". *You* unambiguously refers to the rider.

The mounted combat rules refer to when the mount charges, the rider gains the same benefit as the mount. At no point do the rules specify what actions the rider should take while the mount charges, but until he dismounts and on his own feet, he's not capable of charging.
It is unambiguous, no matter how much you would like to pretend to be incapable of reading plain English. It is not a houserule to interpret that to mean you get the benefit of the feat while your mount is charging, as opposed to a physically impossible and nonsensical action. It is ridiculous to take the interpretation that clearly the feat requires a physically impossible and nonsensical action.

My point in citing the mounted combat rules, which you seem to have misunderstood, is that referring to a mounted character "charging" to mean that the mount is charging (even while referring to the rider as "you") is in common use in the rules. So you're taking an interpretation that has no precedent either in the rules of the game or in common sense, and declaring that this is RAW and therefore anything that makes sense is a houserule? Don't be absurd.

DEMON
2013-01-16, 03:08 AM
Also there's a series of articles on Mounted Combat on WotC web site: https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a (Part One).