PDA

View Full Version : Waking Up Jedi (Or Whatever)

Leliel
2013-01-15, 06:49 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?671397-Waking-Up-Jedi-(or-whatever)), inspired by the Tom Smith song.

Basically, one day, people with an emotional connection to a type of relatively generic character within fiction (as in, not a named character, but a type like Saiyan, Kryptonian, or Jedi) wake up as that character, with all the basic training, gear, and powers. They retain their personalities and everything, they're just that character.

If you're one of these people, what do you wake up as, and what do you do with this newfound power of yours?

I log in to waking up as a technomancer from Shadowrun, and use my newfound power to instinctively manipulate the internet to destroy [SITE RESTRICTED FOR CODE OF CONDUCT REASONS. ALL OF YOU CAN AGREE THE THING IT REPRESENTS IS BAD, BUT I DON'T WANT TO CHANCE IT]. After that, I go into creating video games without all the hard work of actually learning how to code.

Traab
2013-01-15, 06:59 PM
A Belgarath style wizard. Will and the Word.

Giggling Ghast
2013-01-16, 02:22 AM
Awww, I wake up as a Grey Warden. For a reduced lifespan, all I get is an immunity to the darkspawn taint, and there are no darkspawn on Earth.

I take up alcoholism.

Fortuna
2013-01-16, 03:44 AM
It... really depends on the day.

Today, though, I wake up as one of the Green Sun Princes. Which is pretty cool, except that I have random destructive urges and all that I love is destroyed about me because it is seen as unclean by my Yozi masters.

I probably either dive off a cliff or turn into Batman.

Hopeless
2013-01-16, 06:32 AM
Become Professor X taking pains to not shave my head or go bald and never ever reveal my identity or powers to anyone making sure to secretly resolve all of the worlds problems by making the opposing governments understand that god is looking over their shoulder and he is benevolent to those that deserve it and more than willing to share his point of view with those that believe they exist to prey on those weaker than themselves.

I have no problem with them taking credit for all the good that must be done to keep this world in order and advancing to deal with the social changes we see around us.

And I probably still never have a girlfriend... thats taking miracles a little too far!:smalltongue:

Anecronwashere
2013-01-16, 06:45 AM
Well. great.
Hi everyone I'm The Overlord, bringer of all things evil and controlling a massive horde of Minions.

Still I get an awesome underground lair and teleport circles. And a kicking armour.
Still I'd better get to enslaving some pet Jedi (hopefully Knights of the Old Republic style) before any of the more moral Woken come to get me down in the Empire of Australia

Fragenstein
2013-01-16, 08:33 AM
Ah...

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-every-saturday-morning1.jpg

pita
2013-01-16, 09:12 AM
I suddenly become Glokta.
Great.
ETA- For those who don't know, Glokta is a crippled mess. There is literally no moment when he doesn't feel pain, due to years of torture by the most sadistic experts at the craft. It's too bad he's written so well, otherwise I could've stuck with Superman.
SECOND EDIT- wait, you said generic character. In which case I'm an X-man. Which makes life awesome. So forget the rest of this post.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-16, 09:31 AM
Why so many moral Woken around?
Why doesn't anyone empathize with people like Dumbledore, Voldemort, Sauron, Luthor or Vader

Lord Raziere
2013-01-16, 10:12 AM
Either Green Sun Prince for me to, or a WoW Mage, or a member of Fairy Tail, or an Asari in Mass Effect…..so many choices….

but probably Green Sun Prince. That way I can have telekinesis, fire energy blasts of anything at people, a bunch of Ebon Dragon charms and eventually become a Devil Tiger.

GolemsVoice
2013-01-16, 10:50 AM
I'd probably wake up as a Witcher, from the Geralt of Rivia saga/the Witcher games. That's actually not that bad. Enhanced metabolism, faster healing, immunity to many poisons, great endurance, immunity to diseases, fast reflexes, the works. Society won't shun me, likely, which is the main drawback for Witchers in the books. Only bad thing is that I'd be sterile, so no kids.

And since the real world lacks any monster sto slay, I'd probably become an athlete or some type of performer, making the best use of my skills and abilities.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-16, 11:33 AM
Awww, I wake up as a Grey Warden. For a reduced lifespan, all I get is an immunity to the darkspawn taint, and there are no darkspawn on Earth.

I take up alcoholism.
Sounds Warden-y to me.

Me? Considering my current reading obsession, a Dresdenverse wizard. Simultaneously scary and awesome. WAIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. COMPUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

Dienekes
2013-01-16, 11:57 AM
I suddenly become Glokta.
Great.
ETA- For those who don't know, Glokta is a crippled mess. There is literally no moment when he doesn't feel pain, due to years of torture by the most sadistic experts at the craft. It's too bad he's written so well, otherwise I could've stuck with Superman.
SECOND EDIT- wait, you said generic character. In which case I'm an X-man. Which makes life awesome. So forget the rest of this post.

Hey if it helps I'd probably become Logan, with every friend of mine's blood on my own hands.

Going generic though, ehh, I have far more of an emotional connection to the generic powerless badasses [with a brain] than any type of superpowered or magic folk. But hey, it's not exactly practical for anything, but it'd be cool to suddenly be a peak athlete who can pick up a sword/guns/batarangs and use them effectively.

Wyntonian
2013-01-16, 12:03 PM
Either Harry Potter-style wizard (but with a brain), Dresden Files Wizard (I'd have to get a duster) or jedi. Probably Jedi. I'd probably be Batman, but with a lightsaber and the Force.

Fan
2013-01-16, 12:20 PM
I wake up as a Kryptonian, take the name Mik-El, and proceed to be The Crusader of Justice, fighting for Truth, Justice, and Freedom for all as a real life Superman.

Though I find more emotional connection when it comes to Wally West, so I'd wake up as a Flash? More interesting power set, but I prefer the Kryptonian one on a personal level.

Decisions.

Forum Explorer
2013-01-16, 12:51 PM
I wake up a few hundred years later (unless someone wakes me) as a dragon!

So I'm nigh ageless, giant, breath fire, cast spells, and somehow speak English despite completely lacking the proper mouth, teeth, and tongue needed to do so. :smallcool:

On the downside I'm going to have to enslave hire some humans to write for me.

Jallorn
2013-01-16, 12:59 PM
These days, I feel like I'd probably be a bender. Possibly even the Avatar. More likely not though. Not sure which element I would bend though. Something not fire, though. Probably water, considering that I'm both a Pisces and a Water Monkey. And considering that I see my core traits as being the stability of earth, but the adaptability and freedom of air. Yeah, probably water.

On the other hand, although I have the mentality and connection to bending, I don't think I've got the requisite spirituality. So... I dunno. I don't have so many emotional connections of the type I feel you mean much lately. I've been working more on my own work (mostly DMing) so I dunno. I guess a DBZ martial artist might be my current backup.

TheThan
2013-01-16, 01:21 PM
I’d wake up as an immortal from the highlander series.
Sure I’ll have to deal with horrible movies, and having to avoid getting my head separated from my shoulders and the general loneliness of being immortal (or find yourself and immortal girlfriend).

But come on, Immortality? Awesome!
and if you get too bored with the immortal life, there's a way out!

GeekGirl
2013-01-16, 01:42 PM
I think my answer depends on when I'm asked. Like right now I'm about 4 books into Fate of the Jedi, and that would make me pick Jedi. A month or so ago I was reading Blackest Night, so then I would probably have said Lantern of some color.

Forum Explorer
2013-01-16, 02:22 PM

So I'm nigh ageless, giant, breath fire, cast spells, and somehow speak English despite completely lacking the proper mouth, teeth, and tongue needed to do so. :smallcool:

Right I forgot the actual plan part,

Well I'd need a horde. So I think I'd steal acquire an entire gem mine. Not diamonds. Those are overated. Then I'd use my new mine to invest in various companies to get even more money which I'd then use a proxy human to spend on building my lair which would be located in a stable mountain range, likely the Rocky Mountains. After the lair is built I'd move in, refuse to pay the loan and just collect the money.

From there I'd start building houses and stuff til I could basically get a mini-nation going in the mountains, where I'd protect them from all the chaos created by the other Awakened people. I'd study enough magic and try and attract other highly intelligent people.

Of course this is assuming I wake up as an adult. If I wake up as a young dragon then I'd likely hide with a group til I became old enough to proceed with the plan. Likely the Bronies. They'd be a safe enough group for a young dragon.

snoopy13a
2013-01-16, 02:26 PM
I'd wake up as a hobbit.

I'd not enjoy being too short for driving and roller coasters :smalltongue: . I'd also live in fear of giant, to me, dogs. On the other hand, the much lower body weight would make me a cheap drunk :smallsmile: .

druid91
2013-01-16, 02:48 PM
I'd wake up as, quite probably, a tech priest.

At which point I'd fix peoples cars within minutes for ludicrous prices, obtain myself enough scrap metal and equipment to make a working manufactorum, and human vat, and then proceed to do sidework until I've made enough to construct a working surface to orbital craft.

Then keep working until I've got a shipyard, then it's onwards to mars. And once I'm on mars... I've got an entire planets worth of resources to put towards constructing a fleet to conquer the earth in the name of the omnissiah. Or maybe just carve the skull-cog into the moon.... Either or.

And seeing as I'm an immortal cyborg zombie, I've got long enough to do it!

Of course I might have a bit trouble seeing as I'd speak lingua-techna, and High-Gothic...

Traab
2013-01-16, 03:18 PM
A Belgarath style wizard. Will and the Word.

I forgot my plan too Forum. Heh, I think first off for me would be to find myself a very isolated area. Doesnt matter too much about the part of the world, where I would construct my tower. Though I think I would likely go for full castle with a tower in the middle. I would then work on mastering my abilities and studying everything I can get my hands on as I am now effectively immortal. Using sorcery all my needs would be easily met, so I wouldnt have to worry much about funding and the like. With any luck, after a century or three, I would be able to be accepted by the world as a wandering wise man, there to give aid for tough questions and to help out in difficult situations.

Senator Cybus
2013-01-16, 03:40 PM
Dragon Age style mage, for me. Not too bad: I wouldn't be persecuted on our world and if I automatically get the basic training of the character type, I've already done my Harrowing, so I shouldn't get my soul eaten by a demon while I'm sleeping. And I get a free robe and staff! Yay, free stick! :smallsmile:

Plus, I can choose my new spells as I gain experience, so I can select exactly what powers I want: probably lots of crowd control and stuff that harmlessly incapacitates people (plus raising zombies, for the lulz).

As for what I'd do with my new magic powers, I'm not sure. Probably magical vigilante. :smallbiggrin:

Forrestfire
2013-01-16, 04:18 PM
I wake up as a D&D-style batman wizard, and am immediately terrified about the fact that my living space is not magically warded :smalltongue:

And then I get the scientific community to help me industrialize magic, as well as tracking down other Woken.

I would also do my very best to placate my cat.

Silverbit
2013-01-16, 06:30 PM
I wake up as an old style sorcerer/enchanter/wizard, Howard and Lovecraft magic sort of thing. Well, it beats science exams, I suppose.
I quickly gather assorted herbs, old spell books, relics, and bits of otherworldly abominations, and start merrily learning dark magic. Now where did I put the Ars Goetica?

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-16, 06:38 PM
With all these people waking up as wizards...

...looks like we've got a genuine case of Mage: the Awakening.

badum-psch!

Lord Raziere
2013-01-16, 07:56 PM
wow, that pun was so horrible I think you gained Resonance.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-16, 09:54 PM
Great. None of the other conquerers would ally with my type of Woken (I'm a big hulking guy in Evil-Armour that hangs out in basically Hell controlling little Imps that Heal, Bash, Control Fire or Sneak/Poison)
I just can't see anyone allying with the Source of All Evil. Even if Evil Always Finds A Way.

druid91
2013-01-16, 10:05 PM
Great. None of the other conquerers would ally with my type of Woken (I'm a big hulking guy in Evil-Armour that hangs out in basically Hell controlling little Imps that Heal, Bash, Control Fire or Sneak/Poison)
I just can't see anyone allying with the Source of All Evil. Even if Evil Always Finds A Way.

Would you try to touch my machines? If the answer to that question is no, then I think we'd get along fine.:smalltongue:

Weezer
2013-01-16, 10:11 PM
I'd be an arcanist, from Name of the Wind, specalizing in artificing and alchemy. Probably a giller (aka a grad student). I'd be like I am now, chemist with a propensity to tinker/build in grad school, but plus magic. It's be awesome.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-16, 10:13 PM
I wont, but I cant say much about the barely-sentient morons I have under my command.

Anderlith
2013-01-16, 10:22 PM
Sounds Warden-y to me.

Me? Considering my current reading obsession, a Dresdenverse wizard. Simultaneously scary and awesome. WAIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. COMPUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

I'd have to say I'd be a Dresdenverse wizard too, seeing as how I share a whole lot of traits as Harry himself, lol. I'd have to stop using the internet though....

Which is better, magic or internet?

Sith_Happens
2013-01-16, 10:23 PM
Almost definitely a Sith.

Obviously, I'd become a renowned Zeusaphone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXsfGVVGb-Y) artist.:smallbiggrin:

LordHavelock
2013-01-16, 10:55 PM
I remember as a kid having a dream centered around this exact same premise. All my friends were sci-fi and fantasy action heroes and I thought it was so cool and they all came over to my house to invite me to go slay monsters with them and I came out and they all started laughing. I looked down and didn't understand because I had all my clothes on: my slacks were perfectly pressed, my silk dress shirt spotless, my jacket was perfectly tailored and my shoes were shiny, and I had remembered my cane; I checked to make sure my hat was on straight and adjusted the rose at my button hole before I realized . . . I was Tuxedo Mask.

My best friend was Han Solo, our mutual best friend was Indian Jones, and even his little brother was Himura Kenshin. And I was the pansiest pansy to ever be on a Saturday morning cartoon before 2000. Tuxedo. Effing. Mask.

Anderlith
2013-01-17, 12:07 AM
I remember as a kid having a dream centered around this exact same premise. All my friends were sci-fi and fantasy action heroes and I thought it was so cool and they all came over to my house to invite me to go slay monsters with them and I came out and they all started laughing. I looked down and didn't understand because I had all my clothes on: my slacks were perfectly pressed, my silk dress shirt spotless, my jacket was perfectly tailored and my shoes were shiny, and I had remembered my cane; I checked to make sure my hat was on straight and adjusted the rose at my button hole before I realized . . . I was Tuxedo Mask.

My best friend was Han Solo, our mutual best friend was Indian Jones, and even his little brother was Himura Kenshin. And I was the pansiest pansy to ever be on a Saturday morning cartoon before 2000. Tuxedo. Effing. Mask.

Did you do the dramatic posing when you donned your costume? :P

LordHavelock
2013-01-17, 12:59 AM
Did you do the dramatic posing when you donned your costume? :P

I don't remember donning it at all, but from there, yes there was a lot of dramatic posing.

Dreamwise it all balanced out, the girl I had a crush on at the time showed up as Sailor Moon and helped the lot of us beat Sephiroth. Not too shabby.

Were the same thing to happen today, I'd either wake up as my namesake here on the forums (Lord Vetinari of Terry Pratchett's Discworld Novels) and proceed to direct and manage all you other more heroic and villainous types against one another in a surprisingly harmonious balance of power situation where I sit comfortably (not luxuriously) in a chief advisory capacity for all the factions/sects/teams/leagues/etc.

Or

I wake up as Darth Revan and do the same thing but with the Force and a lightsaber.

SuperPanda
2013-01-17, 04:49 AM
I'd like to think I'd wake up as something really cool... though in being completely honest I'd probably wake up with clothing that means I need to be arrested by the fashion police, a couple pieces of advanced technology, a communication device with nothing to contact, and a whole lot of training telling me not to interfere in this pre-warp world's affairs.

Yeah, I think I'd probably be a Starfleet officer, probably engineering / ops which would make for the potential for all kinds of Mcguivering technology all over the place. Doubt I'd be ranked more than Lt, not yet 30 so Commander would mean I'd have had a stellar carrier (pun so intended) Lt. Commander might be possible, but since its on the edge and Engineering officers tend to be lower on the command totem pole (as they have to be down with the Engines not up on the bridge) Lt seems most relevant.

First order of business would be to see if I can figure out a way to leave a message for starfleet telling them about the wierd alternate reality I'd be trapped in. Second order of business would be to go find Q and ask him why he did it. (Third order of business probably involves a short lived adventure in which my uniform is destroyed, I replace it with something red and get killed... because your average Starfleet officer in a dangerous and unexplained situation counts his life expectancy on one hand (and in minutes).

Kitten Champion
2013-01-17, 06:29 AM
An Aes Sedai, probably. I started reading the Wheel of Time books in grade school, the series has figured prominently in my imaginings.

I'd be Blue Ajah as it more or less fits my personality. I don't really care if I'm stronger or more prominent in any form of politicking, I'd spend most of my time travelling Randland anyways.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-17, 06:32 AM
I dont think you can go to the universe. So no travelling Randland.

More you get the stuff a generic person of that type gets. Like the Overlord gets the Armour, the Tower and it's heart, Gnarl and the Minions etc.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-17, 06:55 AM
Can't decide between Dovahkiin or some sort of superpowered animal creature (think Sabretooth or Cheetah. Without boobies, of course). Not a werewolf, but better.

One idea would be someone with mind control powers but no. I would turn into the evil overlord way too qickly then. (Seriously. Giving me mind control powers would be a bad idea).

Anecronwashere
2013-01-17, 06:57 AM
Hey, Im the Overlord around here.
Get your own Dark Title :smallbiggrin:

Kitten Champion
2013-01-17, 06:57 AM
I dont think you can go to the universe. So no travelling Randland.

More you get the stuff a generic person of that type gets. Like the Overlord gets the Armour, the Tower and it's heart, Gnarl and the Minions etc.

I guess it doesn't matter, being the only Channeler of the One Power in existence would just be a tad lonely. If channelling isn't limited to me, I could gather those with the power and create a new Hall of the Servants, bringing prolonged peace to the Earth.

Johel
2013-01-17, 07:14 AM
I wake up as a Kryptonian, take the name Mik-El, and proceed to be The Crusader of Justice, fighting for Truth, Justice, and Freedom for all as a real life Superman;

Same here... without the "Crusader of Justice" stuff.
Kneel Before [Pompous name still to be found], Mortals !!
Of course, since our goals conflict, that means a long conflict as you fight to thwart my dastardly plans.:smalltongue:

On another note, I don't really see how one can "emotionally connect" with a whole race.
Each race has its very noble souls as well as its lot of disgusting jerks.

Fragenstein
2013-01-17, 09:07 AM
Same here... without the "Crusader of Justice" stuff.
Kneel Before [Pompous name still to be found], Mortals !!
Of course, since our goals conflict, that means a long conflict as you fight to thwart my dastardly plans.:smalltongue:

What's wrong with Joh-El?

On another note, I don't really see how one can "emotionally connect" with a whole race.
Each race has its very noble souls as well as its lot of disgusting jerks.

The original statement involved our emotional connection to characters. That we would associate with their world and/or race is just a given. I'm a huge Tinkerbell fan (don't judge me), so there's a good chance I'd end up in Pixie Hollow, Neverland or Kensington Gardens. Identifying with Superman as a Kryptonian might shunt you to Kandor, while identifying with Superman as a generic hero might put you anywhere in the DC universe.

snoopy13a
2013-01-17, 10:42 AM

So if I'm a hobbit, I get a hobbit-hole? Although, I suppose I lose all of my shoes. A reasonable trade-off, I guess.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-17, 10:45 AM
A hobbithole is a piece of equipment for a hobbit I guess...
But all the stuff I listed were the signs of rank. Miss one and you aren't The Overlord of Evil

SuperPanda
2013-01-17, 10:56 AM
If the hobbits get hobbit holes... would I get a starship? Heck, even a runabout would be awesome considering all the tech in one of those things (sure, with a data-padd, some advanced schooling suddenly dropped in my head, and access to NASA I might be able to get a warp-1 test ship off the ground before my natural lifespan was over... but suddenly waking up as a Generic starfleet officer in the middle of what would inevitably means a crisis situation means I'm more likely than not to die before I remember how to pay for a bus ticket or use a mouse (Hello computer?).

with a runabout I could sit in orbit while I talk with the ship's computer for a while in a philosophical conversation about the morality of non-interference durring a crisis situation, and then after establishing that the rules still forbid me from helping, decide to help anyways. These things put me more in the TNG era of starfleet officer at which point I'd mostly only die when there is a major plot point or an ooze monster (and even then not being a security/tactical officer gives me a pretty good chance).

LordHavelock
2013-01-17, 01:04 PM
I guess it doesn't matter, being the only Channeler of the One Power in existence would just be a tad lonely. If channelling isn't limited to me, I could gather those with the power and create a new Hall of the Servants, bringing prolonged peace to the Earth.

You have to figure that more than a few people would wake up as Aes Sedai. I can think of two or three of my friends who would almost certainly wake up as members of the Blue and Green Ajas.

snoopy13a
2013-01-17, 01:07 PM
You have to figure that more than a few people would wake up as Aes Sedai. I can think of two or three of my friends who would almost certainly wake up as members of the Blue and Green Ajas.

And all my ex-girlfriends would wake up as members of the Red Ajah :smalltongue:

LordHavelock
2013-01-17, 01:19 PM
A hobbithole is a piece of equipment for a hobbit I guess...
But all the stuff I listed were the signs of rank. Miss one and you aren't The Overlord of Evil

Honestly, I always felt like the Overlord as a silent protagonist never made sense. In the end, aren't Gnarl and the Mistresses running the show? Not that that's how you would have to play it mind you, I just would have appreciated the opportunity to say some suitably tyrannical things, not just smash about the whole time.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-17, 01:26 PM
The game has flaws yes. Honestly I bet Gnarl just kept ingratiating himself and the earlier Overlords were more proactive and talkative.

But all the loss of the Tower Heart and the breaking of the succession (There is like a 10 year gap between the death of the overlord and the finding of his son in Nordberg in II, not to mention the decade or two since then) and stuff whittled down the Overlord from Lawful Evil to Chaotic Evil, aim and release

Das Platyvark
2013-01-17, 10:13 PM
A Golem-Crafter from Bas-lag (Iron Council, mostly). I'd basically just run around making entertaining minions out of whatever I found lying around.

thorgrim29
2013-01-19, 03:10 PM
Emotional connection? Assuming that means from a work that's important to me. That means there are probably 4 choices for me, a Belgarath style wizard, a harry potter style wizard, a Dresden file style wizard or a Slayer.

The first one would be pretty awesome assuming I don't kill myself the first time I shapeshift. Immense cosmic power, immortality, shapeshifting, that all sound good to me. Harry Potter wizard also sounds fairly good assuming I get a wand and the capacity to replace it when I inevitably break/lose it, also extended lifespan. Dresden Files wizard is less cool because of the techbane thing (even though I maintain a space-proof computer inside a running water faraday cage with a mechanical mouse and keyboard would probably work) and all the risks of corruption. Finally, while the powers are cool, I wouldn't enjoy suddenly being a hot teenage girl (at least i don't think I would) and I don't like the idea of having a destiny to fulfill so Slayer is out. It's also the only power set I listed that has very little non-combat uses other then improve health.

So of the 4, I prefer Will and Word wizard. Being able to do that would probably not change anything in my life plans short term other then I would be better looking and have more money:smallsmile:. If I can find a highlander immortal I could probably shapeshift myself into one too. Long term, I would build an empire (the financial kind) and eventually gain influence over culture and politics, and become known as a patron of Science.

Bulldog Psion
2013-01-21, 05:37 AM
I'd wake up as a Prince of Amber or one of the powerful shadow sorcerers from the Amber end of the multiverse.

Using my increased strength and resilience, resistance to disease and injury, sorcerous powers, and vastly increased lifespan, I'd have a great time exploring the more beautiful, poetic, and intriguing parts of the multiverse, writing epic poems about them, and returning to Earth for quiet, cozy rest and relaxation at my backwoods cabin.

(I suppose I should mention that this is based on Roger Zelazny's "Amber" series, still among some of my favorite books.)

VonDoom
2013-01-22, 03:25 AM
My dark armies will pour forth from beneath the Earth. It might be a bit boring, what with the lack of heroes and generally over-indulgent goodness around, but a Dungeon Keeper is nothing if not creative about spreading evil and chaos.

Let's just hope I'm not just the pulsing heart with a discorporated conscience. I rather enjoy a physical body. Though I suppose I could always convert regular people and then possess them if I fancy some regular human interaction. I'd rather not take over a Mistress for that. :smalleek:

Kato
2013-01-22, 05:48 AM
My dark armies will pour forth from beneath the Earth. It might be a bit boring, what with the lack of heroes and generally over-indulgent goodness around, but a Dungeon Keeper is nothing if not creative about spreading evil and chaos.

Let's just hope I'm not just the pulsing heart with a discorporated conscience. I rather enjoy a physical body. Though I suppose I could always convert regular people and then possess them if I fancy some regular human interaction. I'd rather not take over a Mistress for that. :smalleek:

Weird coincidence, I just picked up DK again last week (and my eternal displeasure with EA for preventing part three has consumed me again)... THESE GAMES WERE SO GOOD!!! (Well, part two was better than one mostly but still)

gooddragon1
2013-01-22, 09:23 AM
I'd wake up as a grayface: a featureless (this means that where there would be a skull there's just an ovular shape with no face) skeletal gray humanoid shape (with bony hands that can turn into claws).

Then I'd go back to sleep. Possibly forever.

Zaydos
2013-01-22, 09:45 AM
I'd wake up as a generic fantasy protagonist, probably with a sword, a destiny, and a tendency to turn into a paladin. Lots of bad stuff would happen to me, and I'd have to cut myself off from my friends so that they don't die (and that would almost certainly fail anyway), but in the end I'd be fine and I'd get the girl so there's that. The lack of agency and need to react to whatever dire evil is coming would be a bit lame.

dehro
2013-01-22, 12:40 PM
Would you try to touch my machines? If the answer to that question is no, then I think we'd get along fine.:smalltongue:

whose machines? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1F7hZzIckA)

mmmh would we "be that character type" but still in this universe, or would we enter that fictional universe too?

I can see 2 paths in front of me.. I could either be a belgariad style mage, with will and word.. and use it in this universe to win inordinate amounts of money in lotteries and such (I'm sure there must be a way)..become stinking rich and then use my powers and a fair share of what I'd have collected to unobtrusively do good (possibly even fight crime, because a man needs a hobby)
in the belgariad universe I'd probably use my powers to be a healer or a battlemage/counselor to some decent but not too important local ruler.

else, I'm thinking a generic ranger, with proper fighting skills and very much in tune with nature. in this universe I'd open a bootcamp for survivalists and/or summer camp for difficult teens, and let nature slap some sense in them.
in whatever generic fantasy universe, I'd be a tough as nails ranger, but not tied to any specific destiny.. not a noble scion or anything..just a badass ranger not worthy of notice beyond his badassery...possibly I'd be a scout/tracker/explorer attached to the military

Hbgplayer
2013-01-22, 04:15 PM
Hey! I've just gotten my owl from [enter American/Californian equivalent of Hogwarts here]! So it's 9 years late (assuming the US start age is equivalent to the UK's), I'll be more than happy to go!

SamBurke
2013-01-22, 04:22 PM
Ah...

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-every-saturday-morning1.jpg

This is precisely the way it happens.

I imagine it'd be like this for roughly 1 in 10 on the Playground. :smallbiggrin:

dehro
2013-01-22, 05:41 PM
Hey! I've just gotten my owl from [enter American/Californian equivalent of Hogwarts here]! So it's 9 years late (assuming the US start age is equivalent to the UK's), I'll be more than happy to go!

lol.. a friend of mine said on facebook that sadly an owl had crashed into her (moving) car and it had died.
I told her some kid somewhere wasn't getting into hogwarts this year because of her.
she was not amused

Forum Explorer
2013-01-22, 11:57 PM
This is precisely the way it happens.

I imagine it'd be like this for roughly 1 in 10 on the Playground. :smallbiggrin:

It's a close second for sure.

lol.. a friend of mine said on facebook that sadly an owl had crashed into her (moving) car and it had died.
I told her some kid somewhere wasn't getting into hogwarts this year because of her.
she was not amused

That is the best response ever. If I ever hear a similar story I'm stealing that response.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-23, 12:10 AM
Knowing me? Probably a sentient squirrel <. .> Explaining things to my cats would be unpleasant.

That said; if I had some specific choice in the matter, hopefully one of my bajillion superhero personalities from City of Heroes or Champions Online >_> depending on who I woke up as I could be a cyborg, a magical girl, a traditional superheroine or even someone with a crazy powersuit and a humongous arsenal of crazy weapons <^-^> I don't mind any of those possibilities.

HandofShadows
2013-01-23, 04:05 AM
With my luck I would end up a D-Class in the Foundation universe.

Testing with SCP-682. :smalleek:

Forrestfire
2013-01-25, 11:56 AM
With my luck I would end up a D-Class in the Foundation universe.

Testing with SCP-682. :smalleek:

Hey, at least 682 only wants to horribly murder you :smalltongue:

The_Final_Stand
2013-01-25, 12:23 PM
I wake up as one of the players of Sburb. Preferably a Mage of Time.

Rocks fall, everyone but me dies. Epic quest of self realization. On the other hand, awesome timehax powers, and if all goes well I get to rule a universe. Or I die and have to suffer an eternity of teenage angst in the dream bubbles with my only respite being the hope that I get unmade for some reason or another.

Thormag
2013-01-26, 03:47 AM
I wake up as a Pokemon trainer, in a world without Pokemon... so I wake up as a young prepubescent/teenage boy? That's underwhelming.

I guess I could also wake up as an Adept (Golden Sun). That could be far more exciting. My guess is that I would use whatever powers I have to show off to my friends and then to have a deep existential month or two where I would try to figure out what to actually do with my powers. I guess I would look into the secrets of Alchemy or something (considering I would be wielding psynergy, the prospect of alchemy actually being something real and not just pseudo-science would give me a very motivating goal)

Goosefeather
2013-01-26, 10:13 PM
I appear to wake up as an Assassin (as in 's Creed).

I take on entire police forces single handedly, then die young after falling off a particularly tall building.

Forum Explorer
2013-01-27, 12:21 AM
I wake up as a Pokemon trainer, in a world without Pokemon... so I wake up as a young prepubescent/teenage boy? That's underwhelming.

I guess I could also wake up as an Adept (Golden Sun). That could be far more exciting. My guess is that I would use whatever powers I have to show off to my friends and then to have a deep existential month or two where I would try to figure out what to actually do with my powers. I guess I would look into the secrets of Alchemy or something (considering I would be wielding psynergy, the prospect of alchemy actually being something real and not just pseudo-science would give me a very motivating goal)

You get the starting equipment. So a blank pokedex and a starter pokemon. Not too bad.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-27, 11:09 AM
The trouble with most of the organizations I would want to wake up as have a sharp tendency to kill off the mostly unknown characters no one has much emotional investment in. Starfleet ensigns, C-lister Justice League Members, Jedi Knights who are not main characters, people like me would tend to die in times of crisis, which tend to happen with alarming frequency.
Still, all those would be pretty cool, though I think I'd take Starfleet over Jedi. Jedi philosophy is rather too emotionally stunted for my personal tastes.

Kitten Champion
2013-01-27, 12:24 PM
Can you be a member of Starfleet? Isn't it the same as with me wanting to be a member of the White Tower? In this thought, you're still in your physical and temporal location, regardless of the powers or skills you may require.

Then again, star ships are a prerequisites to a Starfleet officer, so...I dunno.

mangosta71
2013-01-27, 12:40 PM
I would awaken as one of the Forsaken. Or, if they're off the table, at least an asha'man, though then I'd have to figure out Compulsion. Either way, with Traveling and killing with the Power, I could sort out all sorts of things that I perceive as problems. So many things I would do, so much fun to be had...

Ravens_cry
2013-01-27, 12:52 PM
Can you be a member of Starfleet? Isn't it the same as with me wanting to be a member of the White Tower? In this thought, you're still in your physical and temporal location, regardless of the powers or skills you may require.

Then again, star ships are a prerequisites to a Starfleet officer, so...I dunno.
I don't see why not. The OP says "all the basic training, gear, and powers." If a Jedi can get a lightsabre, a Starfleet Ensign can get a starship, or at least a warp capable shuttle.
First things first, I'd get Buzz Aldrin and as many other surviving Apollo astronauts as I could and take them on a tour of the solar system.
After that, the galaxy is the limit.

Kitten Champion
2013-01-27, 04:29 PM
I don't see why not. The OP says "all the basic training, gear, and powers." If a Jedi can get a lightsabre, a Starfleet Ensign can get a starship, or at least a warp capable shuttle.
First things first, I'd get Buzz Aldrin and as many other surviving Apollo astronauts as I could and take them on a tour of the solar system.
After that, the galaxy is the limit.

Yeah, I had similar ideas about the Aes Sedai.

The question is, does the Federation and its Starfleet represent a "tool" necessary to be a Starfleet officer.

For that matter, are you a Jedi without the Jedi order? If you've got all the combat gear and training, but aren't officially a member of any recognized military, are you a solider? Or does the existence of that institution and validation of your place in it make you what you are?

Just a thought.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-27, 08:53 PM
Well with the Jedi question I believe you cannot be Jedi without make the Order, but instead a Force-Sensitive.

The Jedi and the Sith are two religious zealot orders, approaching the same religion from two different angles and sparking a massive war between them about that. So would fall under the same banner as if you woke as a Templar from the spanish inquisition.

Unless there are a lot of Woken Jedi, in which case each is part of the others equipment, forming the Jedi Order entirely from Woken

golentan
2013-01-27, 09:16 PM
I wake up as one of the Dragonblooded. Air aspect, Wood aspect, or Water aspect. Regardless, I turn my new magical talents toward the construction of magitech and the alleviation of all sorts of illnesses, while enjoying some crazy athletic fun through the streets of my town (or underwater, also good, or both).

I also donate to all kinds of sperm banks, because we should totally have dragonblooded as a thing.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-27, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I had similar ideas about the Aes Sedai.

The question is, does the Federation and its Starfleet represent a "tool" necessary to be a Starfleet officer.

You don't need the whole of the Federation or Starfleet to be a Starfleet officer. Just look at Voyager. Or . . .don't, but the principle still applies.
But I still say you need some kind of starship though.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-28, 02:28 AM
I also donate to all kinds of sperm banks, because we should totally have dragonblooded as a thing.

Oh, Exalted...

stabbybelkar
2013-01-28, 03:38 AM
Hey, at least 682 only wants to horribly murder you :smalltongue:

I think that sentence alone describes the life of an SCP Foundation D-Class perfectly. Your life sucks so much, that getting tossed in a room with a giant unkillable lizard who wants nothing more than to kill you, is considered a good thing since you ultimately got off lucky.

SuperPanda
2013-01-28, 10:25 AM
You don't need the whole of the Federation or Starfleet to be a Starfleet officer. Just look at Voyager. Or . . .don't, but the principle still applies.
But I still say you need some kind of starship though.

Woo! I got a runabout now... and being the senior officer on it that would make me its Captain (by nautical tradition) even though I'd likely have no better than the rank of Lt. This may or may not increase my life expectancy after waking up... should I live though, Taking NASA's best-of on a joy ride would likely be up on the list of things to do (after deciding whether or not Earth still consitutes a Pre-Warp society if I'm from Earth with a warp capable ship... because if it still counts a pre-warp... I'm off for a pretty lonely search for intelligent life. Still, the runabouts from DS9 could hit Warp 4 which isn't anything to sneaze at).

snoopy13a
2013-01-28, 03:05 PM
For that matter, are you a Jedi without the Jedi order? If you've got all the combat gear and training, but aren't officially a member of any recognized military, are you a solider? Or does the existence of that institution and validation of your place in it make you what you are?

Just a thought.

I think you'd be like Luke after Yoda's death in The Return of the Jedi: the last of an order. It would be like The Last of the Mohicians, only with lightsabers!

Actually, that's what the new Star Wars movie should be: Daniel Day-Lewis running through the Adirondack Mountains while slashing stormtroopers and Sith left and right with a lightsaber--with the "Last of the Mohicans" theme music playing in the background. I could really watch two hours of that :smallsmile:

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-30, 02:16 AM

This, pretty much.

Though, I wake up as Inferndyim, A Literally Indestructable Dragon...Also known as my PC.

Except, Ya know, I enslave gods to write fan fiction instead..:smallcool:

Forum Explorer
2013-01-30, 02:54 AM
This, pretty much.

Though, I wake up as Inferndyim, A Literally Indestructable Dragon...Also known as my PC.

Except, Ya know, I enslave gods to write fan fiction instead..:smallcool:

NO SPECIFIC CHARACTERS ALLOWED! :smalltongue:

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-31, 12:31 AM
NO SPECIFIC CHARACTERS ALLOWED! :smalltongue:

Ah, Missed that.

Then a Intellegent Newtronuim Golem.
:smallcool:

Acanous
2013-01-31, 12:49 AM
I'd likely wake up as a magic-user of some kind. Not sure weather it'd be D&D, Comic-style, Dresden or Exalted, and really, if I knew upon waking, I wouldn't bloody tell anyone which, either.

But I would immediately hit the internet, navigate to the most obnoxious athiest website (I'd make sure not to trouble the ones that keep to themselves :p), post "Here's that proof you wanted."

Then I'd retreat to my basement, eat magically-created food and drink magically-created water, and wait for someone to deal with all the furries and ponies before I set foot back outside.

AgentofOdd
2013-02-01, 03:25 AM
Based on the past few years, I suppose I'd end up as either a Feruchemist (people from Mistborn series capable of storing attributes like strength and speed for future use), or an Artificer (magic toolmakers from D&D).

As a Feruchemist, I'll mostly use the power and training to carefully enhance my day to day life. This (http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/1985-if-you-were-a-feruchemist/page__view__findpost__p__35718) would be a decent list of how I'd do that. Also, since I have a greater understanding of the magic system, I'll spend some time tinkering with the raw magical energy I could store.

As an artificer... I suppose start off studying and building like mad until I'm self sufficient (it'll be nice to not spend money on basic necessities). Then, probably just tinker some more, maybe look into merging all this newfangled technology with magic see what madness I could create.

JabberwockySupafly
2013-02-01, 09:17 AM
Huh. I wouldn't wake up in bed, technically. First I'd see this....

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/user/1/1425-182958-igorpng-620x.jpg

erikun
2013-02-01, 12:37 PM
After that, I go into creating video games without all the hard work of actually learning how to code.
I'm not that convinced that it would be all that easy. I would think that "directly" creating video games vs. creating through code would be something like painting a picture vs. drawing something in flash that you can change and manipulate freely. The former gives you a better chance to create what you have in mind, but requires a lot of skill and is easy to mess up completely. The latter gives you more control over the finer details and how you want it to work.

Brewdude
2013-02-01, 12:45 PM
Just your ordinary average bounty hunter, in a world that hasn't yet had it's moon explode in a freak gate accident.

Ravens_cry
2013-02-02, 01:57 PM
Just your ordinary average bounty hunter, in a world that hasn't yet had it's moon explode in a freak gate accident.
See you, Space Cowboy