PDA

View Full Version : Publishing A "Historical Fantasy" Campaign Setting

EccentricOwl
2013-01-15, 10:52 PM
The real question: Do you have any tips on publishing a campaign setting?

Between the lines: Would anyone bother to read or buy a 'historical fantasy' (inspired by the likes of Twilight of the Gods and Wuxia's blend of history and magic) campaign setting?

The Ramble
I was thinking about using the Open Gaming License for Pathfinder (I've never cared much about system but Pathfinder seems to have a big market share) but other systems are also appealing.

I've always been a 'setting guy' more than I have been a 'mechanics guy', and I have been since I first opened my copy of the Forgotten Realms campaign setting.
So, I took the plunge and started performing that eternal project, writing a campaign setting. I was finally inspired to try and get something published after seeing a thread about how 'settings sell and mechanics do not.' (I'm not in the business to make money, mind you.)

With the help of other players, my setting, billed as a "Historical Fantasy" set during the Early Modern period, is becoming more fully-fleshed all the time. I've been working on turning it into a true setting book, complete with art both original and commissioned, as well as the occasional public domain image.

Grinner
2013-01-15, 11:01 PM
As a consumer, I recommend that you give substantive sample material. Too often I see settings that could be interesting, but the provided sample doesn't tell me enough to justify the cost.

In fact, more often than not, I'm just given a cover and a table of contents. :smallannoyed:

Edit: I'd like to add that I think you're going about this in a very intelligent manner.

ngilop
2013-01-15, 11:11 PM
based solely on the fact that you are from Ohio

i would not be averse to buying anything you created

but how is it historical if its modern..?
that really makes no sense to me.

EccentricOwl
2013-01-16, 02:22 PM
Edit: I'd like to add that I think you're going about this in a very intelligent manner.

Thanks. You're the first to say that, and it really boosts my morale. :)

This is extremely helpful for me. I'll make sure to show off the cover and table of contents of course, but lots of actual material too - the plot threads, some of the iconic characters, et cetera. Thanks.

And other poster - well, it's good to meet another bored Ohioan gamer.

It's set in the early modern period, traditionally 1500 to the mid 1800s. Elements like the Age of Discovery, the Enlightenment in Europe, growth of Great Britain's power, collapse of the Ming Dynasty in China and the Industrial Revolution starting around 1760.

The desire is to create a setting that 'feels' historical without actually needing to fit to actual historical canon. Certain great persons from history (or at least versions of them) appear, such as "The Great Inventor" (Leonardo da Vinci) or the dread pirates like the Victual Brothers. However, the campaign world is designed to be flexible or modular; the default setting includes races like Orcs, Elves, and Dwarves but it should be written in such a way that they can be removed if the GM wants a more traditional, historical world.