PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Summoner Soloing PFS modules?

Sigurdur
2013-01-15, 11:00 PM
Hello all, I'm a longtime lurker, looking for some help with character creation...

I have an inexperienced player interested in playing two-person D&D, we started with pathfinder, because there is less 'on the table' math, and it seems to be the spiritual heir to 3e--since I already know that system reasonably well and have a lot of books, it seemed like a good idea. I want to play through the pathfinder society modules in a 1v1 game, and my player wants to be a dwarf summoner with a 'mole' themed eidolon--we want to actually play the game, but I expect an attempt at credible roleplaying and an absense of rules-lawyering. Since I recognize that this may not be the most optimal setup for attacking something built for groups of four, I am looking for some help with CharOp so the character does not get blown up early on and make our session :smallfurious:. I have not read the modules yet, and I am willing to play with a MagicMart, slightly OP stats, and some light house ruling. I would prefer answers that do not require splats, gestalt, PrCs, or truly heavy optimization. I am not trying to create a MarySue, but I am having trouble getting this right, and would like to open the question to the community.

I started here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184592

Any advice at all would be appreciated, I tried searching the forums and did not find a detailed answer, so if someone has already done something like this, thank you in advance for linking it!

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-16, 12:01 AM
I highly recommend nerfing the module's encounters a bit (by reducing the number of foes or substituting similar-but-lower-CR-foes), or allowing the player to be at least a level or two higher than the recommended level range for the module, or some combination of both.

Sigurdur
2013-01-16, 07:35 PM
I was hoping to avoid having to do that, but it's looking like the only option. That or make more friends! Thanks.

Psyren
2013-01-16, 08:03 PM
Any reason for Dwarf instead of Gnome? Gnomes can get the same flavor while also having better summoner stats and a favored class bonus.

Sigurdur
2013-01-16, 09:14 PM
"Aww I want to be a little dwarf girl, they're so cute!" is the rationale.

To clarify...we ran through a bunch of the adventures in the "One on One Adventures Compendium", I've been at a number of gaming tables, and she definitely has a good attitude towards gameplay, so if I can get a good idea for the 'numbers' side of the concept, this could be a fun game. On the off chance that I can find other people to play with, I would like the character to look legal, though I might do some simple things like maxing hit dice rolls.

I saw this on the SRD, is it actually any good?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/dwarf

Summoner: Add a +1/4 natural armor bonus to the AC of the summoner's eidolon.

Srasy
2013-01-16, 11:22 PM
Well i dont know much about pathfinder but if you Have him play a dnd 3.5 Druid who summons a lot and has green bound and ash bound summoning and natural bond He should be able to defeat anything that crosses his path in most modules except maybe some ambushes which he should nullify with good spot

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-16, 11:24 PM
That racial favored class thing is decent, but it's only 1 AC every 4 levels. I personally prefer the Half-Elf one that gets you extra evolution points, combined with the Extra Evolution feat and the Wild Caller archetype to get an absurd number of evolution points for a really pimped out eidolon.

Regardless of race and exact stats, a lot is going to come down to careful spell and evolution selection. Bigger numbers on attack, AC, etc. are just numbers, but spells and evolutions can give the character more OPTIONS, which is critical when they don't have other party members to back them up.

Also, investing in Use Magic Device and buying scrolls and wands is highly recommend for having access to all kinds of utility spells. Locked door and no Rogue around to unlock it? That's why you got a scroll of Knock.