PDA

View Full Version : Cleric; how to gain access to Arcane Wands/Staffs

Valdis
2013-01-16, 01:19 AM
I have a level 7, almost 8 Cleric. In my last solo adventure I came across an NPC that has a Wand of Fireball/5th. I want that wand, and I want to be able to use it. I've looked around the net for ideas and came across a general consensus that: To use a wand, you need to have the spell on your spell list (not necessariily spells known).

So in order to be able to use that wand I would need to take at least 1 Wizard level... would 1 level be enough?

I plan on going with the PrC Walker of the Waste. So to gain access to that wand and others like it my class progression would look something like this:
Cleric 7/Wizard 1/Cleric 1/Walker 10 .. because I would want my spell progression to go back to Cleric before I take the PrC. Does that sound correct. Also, would it allow me to use the wand and others like it?

JaronK
2013-01-16, 01:24 AM
The Magic domain would let you do it. Just take a PrC that adds a free domain at level one (there's a bunch of those). It's much better than the Wizard dip.

JaronK

Nightgaun7
2013-01-16, 01:26 AM
I have a level 7, almost 8 Cleric. In my last solo adventure I came across an NPC that has a Wand of Fireball/5th. I want that wand, and I want to be able to use it. I've looked around the net for ideas and came across a general consensus that: To use a wand, you need to have the spell on your spell list (not necessariily spells known).

So in order to be able to use that wand I would need to take at least 1 Wizard level... would 1 level be enough?

I plan on going with the PrC Walker of the Waste. So to gain access to that wand and others like it my class progression would look something like this:
Cleric 7/Wizard 1/Cleric 1/Walker 10 .. because I would want my spell progression to go back to Cleric before I take the PrC. Does that sound correct. Also, would it allow me to use the wand and others like it?

You ought to instead get the magic domain somehow. You can either dip into a class (see here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267721)), take a PrC besides walker in the waste, or take the Planar Touchstone: Catalogs of Enlightenment feat.

There may be other ways, though.

Valdis
2013-01-16, 01:34 AM
Ok, so you both say the same thing... "Get the Magic Domain"

@Nightgaun7.. I'll take a look through your thread and see what I can come up with. Thanks

@JaronK.. Thank you again, your advice and patience is very much appreciated.

EDIT.. if I do dip into a PrC that adds another domain, can I still go with the Walker later or can you only go with 1 PrC?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-16, 01:41 AM
You can multiclass into any class or prestige class you want to at any level you want to, providing you meet the prerequisites or restrictions of the class in question.

The only classes I can think of that impede your ability to multiclass are the tainted scholar from HoH (and his two prior incarnations; the tainted sorcerer and maho-tsukai. All utter cheese) and the eidolon and eidoloncer classes in Ghostwalk.

Beyond that there're a number of classes that say that you can't come back to them if you level in something else, but that's it. You can still leave them at any time.

The bottom line: you can have as many levels in as many classes as you want as long as you meet their requirements.

Valdis
2013-01-16, 01:42 AM
Fantastic, that's what I wanted to hear :)

andromax
2013-01-16, 01:44 AM
Complete Champion has the answer! Substitute Domain (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-champion--57/substitute-domain--629/), easy enough? And Cleric wins again.

DEMON
2013-01-16, 02:28 AM
There's also the Domain Draught in MIC. 3300 gp, adds 1 domain for 1 day to the character. Not necessarily optimal, but listed for completion's sake.

Valdis
2013-01-16, 02:57 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Many good ideas out there... much better then what I was originally going to do, lol.

I think I'm going to get 1 level of the Contemplative PrC and that will allow me to choose another domain (Magic) :smallsmile:

almightycoma
2013-01-17, 12:03 AM
in stead of all that you could just UMD

Use a Wand

Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs. DC 20

Larkas
2013-01-17, 06:01 AM

Just a heads up: I haven't read this Walker of the Wastes PrC, but if it is like any other spellcasting-advancement PrC out there, you choose which class' spellcasting it will advance when you take a level in it, which means that you don't need to "take a cleric level and go back to its progression", you just choose to advance cleric spellcasting when taking levels in it.

in stead of all that you could just UMD

Use a Wand

Normally, to use a wand, you must have the wand’s spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill allows you to use a wand as if you had a particular spell on your class spell list. This use of the skill also applies to other spell trigger magic items, such as staffs. DC 20

He is playing a cleric. That means he's running on a 2+Int skill budget, probably doesn't have a stellar Int and has UMD merely as a cross-class skill. This is way below optimal.

Ranting Fool
2013-01-17, 06:58 AM
He is playing a cleric. That means he's running on a 2+Int skill budget, probably doesn't have a stellar Int and has UMD merely as a cross-class skill. This is way below optimal.

Bit of a waste but he only needs to put a few points in UMD. As he could cast Divine Insight (level 2 Divine spell from Spell Compendium giving 5+CL to skill check) So 13 + so a few skill points or high cha needed but workable. :smallbiggrin:

DEMON
2013-01-17, 09:35 AM
Bit of a waste but he only needs to put a few points in UMD. As he could cast Divine Insight (level 2 Divine spell from Spell Compendium giving 5+CL to skill check) So 13 + so a few skill points or high cha needed but workable. :smallbiggrin:

Still suboptimal, as you can only get the bonus once per casting. But yes, it is an option, so worth listing for completion's sake.

Darth_Versity
2013-01-17, 09:47 AM
Retrain your 1st level feat to Arcane Schooling (wizard)

That would allow access to all spell completion items as if you were a wizard. However, its only selectable at first level so you'd have to retrain with your DM's permission.

DEMON
2013-01-17, 09:59 AM
Retrain your 1st level feat to Arcane Schooling (wizard)

That would allow access to all spell completion items as if you were a wizard.

That feat only works on spell trigger items and considers you a 1st level wizard, so you still need caster level check for higher CL scrolls. And doesn't help with Wands and Staffs anyhow.

Plus it's a regional feat so might not be allowed or might be off if you already have another regional feat.

Darth_Versity
2013-01-17, 10:10 AM
That feat only works on spell trigger items and considers you a 1st level wizard, so you still need caster level check for higher CL scrolls. And doesn't help with Wands and Staffs anyhow.

Plus it's a regional feat so might not be allowed or might be off if you already have another regional feat.

It does help with wands and staffs since they're both spell trigger items

spell trigger item (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_spelltriggeritem&alpha=)
A magic item (such as a wand) that produces a particular spell effect. Any spellcaster whose class spell list includes a particular spell knows how to use a spell trigger item that duplicates it, regardless of whether the character knows (or could know) that spell at the time. The user must determine what the spell stored in the item is before trying to use it. To activate the item, the user must speak a word, but no gesture or spell finishing is required. Activating a spell trigger item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

As you say those its regional feat, thats why its up to the DM to allow it.

DEMON
2013-01-17, 10:13 AM
It does help with wands and staffs since they're both spell trigger items

My apologies, I got the spell trigger and spell completion items mixed up. :smalleek:
You are, of course, correct.

Darth_Versity
2013-01-17, 10:19 AM
My fault really, I put spell completion in my first post intead of trigger.

I personally love that feat though. Jumps nearly every class of Tier 4 or lower up a tier.

Valdis
2013-01-17, 10:02 PM
I'm seriously considering staying with the Contemplative PrC until level 7.. I'll gain another domain at level 6 and at level 7 I will get +15 Spell Resistance. Is +15 Spell resistance as good as I think it is OR would it be a waste of time and effort?

Now that I look harder, seems like it may be a waste.. an SR of 15 would be really easy to beat with 1d20 + Caster Level. (a 16+ caster hits me every time) I haven't found much in ways that I can increase that either, unless I want to increase it by +2 intervals using feats.

If I do that and then take Walker in the Waste, I'll become a Lich at level 24... is that too late??

Jack_Simth
2013-01-17, 10:15 PM
I'm seriously considering staying with the Contemplative PrC until level 7.. I'll gain another domain at level 6 and at level 7 I will get +15 Spell Resistance. Is +15 Spell resistance as good as I think it is OR would it be a waste of time and effort?
If I do that and then take Walker in the Waste, I'll become a Lich at level 24... is that too late??
A couple of things...

Contemplative has some skill requirements that mean you can't take it until it is your 11th level (so Cleric-10/Contemplative-1 at level 11) without certain types of cheese.

The Contemplative's spell resistance is class level + 15; so at Contemplative-7 (character level 17), you've got a spell resistance of merely 22. An equal level caster needs a roll of 5 to beat that, assuming 0 investment in overcoming spell resistance. Usually, your DM sets you up against opponents that are higher level than you are - which generally means your spell resistance won't help you any. Oh yes, and because your companions in the party are the same level you are, it's really annoying to get certain combat buffs (you have to take a standard action to lower your spell resistance).

Valdis
2013-01-17, 10:33 PM
A couple of things...

Contemplative has some skill requirements that mean you can't take it until it is your 11th level (so Cleric-10/Contemplative-1 at level 11) without certain types of cheese.

The Contemplative's spell resistance is class level + 15; so at Contemplative-7 (character level 17), you've got a spell resistance of merely 22. An equal level caster needs a roll of 5 to beat that, assuming 0 investment in overcoming spell resistance. Usually, your DM sets you up against opponents that are higher level than you are - which generally means your spell resistance won't help you any. Oh yes, and because your companions in the party are the same level you are, it's really annoying to get certain combat buffs (you have to take a standard action to lower your spell resistance).

This is actually a solo campaign, I'm the player and DM. I've been trying to follow all rules verbatim, at level 7 I had 10 ranks in Knowledge Religion.. this was the first time I considered raising my "DM Wand" to break the rules and not require the last 3 ranks of Knowledge Religion. Though now that I think about it, I should wait anyway. At level 8 a Cleric gains his 2nd melee attack, no need to put that off.

I agree, it does look like a waste of time to get SR... I was just looking for ways to make my Lich even stronger once I do become one.