PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Craftsmen Working on Golem's?

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-16, 03:21 AM
Can multiple people work on crafting the same thing and speed up the time?
(Source/Etc?)

WinWin
2013-01-16, 03:24 AM
The only official rule I have seen on this subject is Aid Another.

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-16, 03:26 AM
That's what I thought, but it doesn't speed up time, which is what im looking for specfically.

ahenobarbi
2013-01-16, 03:38 AM
That's what I thought, but it doesn't speed up time, which is what im looking for specfically.

But help another gives you higher result, which can make crafting faster:

If the result × the DC equals the price of the item in sp, then you have completed the item. (If the result × the DC equals double or triple the price of the item in silver pieces, then you’ve completed the task in one-half or one-third of the time. Other multiples of the DC reduce the time in the same manner.)

Increase difficulty for even faster crafting:

You may voluntarily add +10 to the indicated DC to craft an item. This allows you to create the item more quickly (since you’ll be multiplying this higher DC by your Craft check result to determine progress).

'Able' Xanthis
2013-01-16, 03:46 AM

Magecraft can shorten some larger projects.

kitep
2013-01-16, 03:49 AM
If you can get 5 people to aid another, that's +10. Then PHB-71 says

You may voluntarily add +10 to the indicated DC to craft an item.
This allows you to create the item more quickly (since you’ll be
multiplying this higher DC by your Craft check result to determine
progress). You must decide whether to increase the DC before you
make each weekly or daily check.

I've read elsewhere that you can add +20, +30, etc to speed it up even further, but I don't remember where.

I guess the real question is, will the DM let you split the project into several subprojects, that different people can work on seperately? Eg, if you wanted to make platemail, instead of "platemail", could you make "helmet", "right arm", "left arm", "right leg", "left leg", "torso" as 6 seperate projects worked on by 6 different people, then maybe a "bring them all together" as the 7th and final project?

If you can't do that, and can't use Fabricate, cranking up the craft skill bonus is probably the best way to speed things along.

There's also a homunculus somewhere that will do crafting for you, so you can go adventuring/partying/whatever. I think (not sure) that it's 3.0 Faerun, so it might not be allowed in all games.

What is it you want to craft?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-16, 03:51 AM
What about working in shifts? Since a single crafter (or a crafter plus any assistants he/she is having aid another) can only work for an eight hour day, could three such crafters (or teams) each work eight hours so that work is done around the clock? (this of course assumes sufficent light, probably from eternal torches.)

andromax
2013-01-16, 04:19 AM
If you can get 5 people to aid another, that's +10. Then PHB-71 says

Also, Rules Compendium points out that;

Expert Assistance
If you have 5 or more ranks in a skill you’re using to aid another,
you can grant a higher bonus. For every 10 points your check
result exceeds 10, the circumstance bonus increases by 1. To
determine the circumstance bonus quickly, simply divide the
helper’s check result by 10, round down, and add 1.

You can end up with a bit of a higher circumstance bonus than +10

Fouredged Sword
2013-01-16, 08:08 AM
Three shifts of 6 workers, each shift having a single leader and 5 aid others. You multiply your speed of construction more than 3.

For large projects like castles see if you can get more aid others. 30 or 40 man shifts will further increase the speed of construction.

I had a warforged character with leadership who lead a road building team that carved a path through the wilderness everywhere they went. 100 experts can dig a lot of ditches. A few warforged bards with lyres of building also help.

Ashtagon
2013-01-16, 09:01 AM
If road construction work in London is anything to judge by, you're lucky if you can get one shift in a 24-hour period, let alone three.

I'm not even sure they're using aid another.

qwertyu63
2013-01-16, 09:36 AM
I've read elsewhere that you can add +20, +30, etc to speed it up even further, but I don't remember where.

The epic skill rules. Don't be scared by the name though, non-epics can use them (if they can make the DC's, of which craft is one of the few that are low enough).

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-16, 11:31 AM
How would all this help with the construction of many Golems?

thethird
2013-01-16, 11:39 AM
Constructing a single stone golem has a DC of 17.

Just increase the DC to as high as you want (57?)

Just add workers/bonuses till you reach the DC that you did set for it.

and then... make the check and multiply it by the DC then compare it to the price.

Since you increase the DC (and hopefully your craft check) the result of DC x Check is higher thus reducing the time that it takes to create it.

ahenobarbi
2013-01-16, 11:44 AM
How would all this help with the construction of many Golems?

Everybody here was answering how to craft something faster, with Craft skill. Did you ask about magic item creation feats?

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-16, 11:47 AM
Everybody here was answering how to craft something faster, with Craft skill. Did you ask about magic item creation feats?

No...I did not... V.V
Shall edit it into the first post.

Palanan
2013-01-16, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ashtagon
If road construction work in London is anything to judge by, you're lucky if you can get one shift in a 24-hour period, let alone three.

I'm not even sure they're using aid another.

Hilarious, truly hilarious. It's much the same in D.C.

Also, on multiple crafters working together: I've been involved with enough woodworking and shop projects to know that past a certain point (usually "Hello") two or more guys working on the same project will only get in each other's way, unless one is very clearly there to follow the other's lead. The Sith were really onto something with their one-master-one-apprentice approach. It really is more productive, whether you're dealing out vengeance to the Jedi or putting together a small bookshelf.

kitep
2013-01-16, 03:21 PM
Other ways to speed up the process:

go to a plane where time moves faster

Wish spell - just wish for a golem. It'll cost ya though!

Golem construction book

I think there's a feat that let's you take 25% off construction time.

ShadowFireLance
2013-01-16, 04:07 PM
Other ways to speed up the process:

go to a plane where time moves faster

Wish spell - just wish for a golem. It'll cost ya though!

Golem construction book

I think there's a feat that let's you take 25% off construction time.

Extrodainary artisan....
Gonna look up wish and see exactly how much it would cost me.