PDA

View Full Version : Chameleon bonus feat suggestions

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-01-16, 01:57 PM
The name pretty much says it. The Chameleon prestige class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) gets a bonus feat that can be changed each day to any feat you like as long as you meet the prerequesites. What are some of the better uses of this?

Item crafting seams like an obvious one as you can make a wand one day, brew a potion the next and then enchant a magic weapon, all without devoting any permanent feats to it.

Practiced spellcaster might be useful for the first few levels of Chameleon as you wait for your caster level to catch up with (and then pass) your character level.

A chameleon going into melee would probably get some mileage out of Martial Study.

What else?

Yuki Akuma
2013-01-16, 02:03 PM
You can't use your Aptitude Focus class ability to qualify for feats, so item creation feats won't work unless you have a caster level from another class. Just FYI.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-01-16, 02:13 PM
You can't use your Aptitude Focus class ability to qualify for feats, so item creation feats won't work unless you have a caster level from another class. Just FYI.Well caught. Thank you.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 02:16 PM
The name pretty much says it. The Chameleon prestige class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) gets a bonus feat that can be changed each day to any feat you like as long as you meet the prerequesites. What are some of the better uses of this?

Item crafting seams like an obvious one as you can make a wand one day, brew a potion the next and then enchant a magic weapon, all without devoting any permanent feats to it.

Practiced spellcaster might be useful for the first few levels of Chameleon as you wait for your caster level to catch up with (and then pass) your character level.

A chameleon going into melee would probably get some mileage out of Martial Study.

What else?
You can get some interesting mileage out of Open Minded, as it grants you 5 skill points. If you ever need to be skilled in an obscure skill one day, you know what to do.

You can also use it on Leadership and Landlord, though that creates some... interesting situations.

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-16, 02:24 PM
Shape Soulmeld is a pretty fantastic choice, as is Martial Study. Planar Touchstone is another fun one.

Lortharian Duin
2013-01-16, 02:33 PM
Well, I'd be using Arcane Focus. Some Metamagic feats?
Somethin' like: Fell Drain, Invisible spell, Silent spell, Ocular spell,... mostly those metamagics that I find cool and, well, situational. Probably some Sudden Metamagics.

...or if you can choose devotion feat. Travel Devotion or Strength Devotion. It can be taken without prerequisites and then fueled by your Turn Undead mimic feature IIRC.

EDIT: Depends how you entered Chameleon, what feats you have? :smallconfused: What are your enemies, where are they?
...Are you on a ship? Is it a sunny day, is it windy? If there is a mist then you'll probably fight sea monster. If its clear then most likely pirates :smallbiggrin:

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-01-16, 03:13 PM
EDIT: Depends how you entered Chameleon, what feats you have? :smallconfused: What are your enemies, where are they?
...Are you on a ship? Is it a sunny day, is it windy? If there is a mist then you'll probably fight sea monster. If its clear then most likely pirates :smallbiggrin:Nothing's set in stone at this point. I'm using the class for a NPC in a game I'm running and hoping to maybe use it for a PC some day as well. For the NPC, very little's been decided except that the he's a traveller who has picked up a lot of seemingly unrelated tricks and abilities during his time walking the earth. Factotum fits the same concept well so it's a likely class for entry.

I asked the question more with reference to the class in general than for any specific build largely becasue I'm still looking for inspiration for how to take things with this character.

Shape Soulmeld looks like it has the potential to be very interesting. I've never used Incarnum before but it might be worth a try to figure it out.

The Devotions are also a nice idea. The NPC's likely to have Knowledge Devotion already (it fits the walking the earth, collecting knowledge and skills fluff quite well) but I'll have to look back over the others too.

Story
2013-01-16, 03:38 PM
Planar Touchstone is another fun one.

Unfortunately, you still need to obtain the 250gp touchstone.

Juntao112
2013-01-16, 03:39 PM
How about the Bind Vestige feat?

Piggy Knowles
2013-01-16, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately, you still need to obtain the 250gp touchstone.

True, but it's not expended or anything, as far as I can tell. Once you've got a touchstone for, say, the Catalogues of Enlightenment, you can use the floating feat to pick up any domain granted ability as circumstances required. The real question is whether you have to go through the forging ceremony each time if you're using the same touchstone. If so, then yeah, it's a worthless option for a Chameleon. If not, it can be quite handy.

Malimar
2013-01-16, 08:08 PM
I believe Extra Spell is the standard way to fill up the chameleon spellbook. Learn a spell into your brain, scribe it into your spellbook, then forget it from your brain (but retain it in your spellbook) and learn a different one the next day.

I was planning on using my chameleon's bonus feat for Graft Flesh on whatever days I had downtime. You can switch out what kind of flesh you graft every day (mitigating the problem that makes it normally not a great choice), and it doesn't have a caster level requirement like item creation feats do.