PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for mid-level spellcasters

Yora
2013-01-16, 03:06 PM
Assuming PHB and Complete Arcane and Complete Divine (and Monster Manual 1 for summons), to keep things within reasonable limits. Most super-power builds seem to utilize feats, prestige classes, and spells from a dozen different sources and then it's really no suprise that abilities that were written unaware of the others can be combined in outrageous ways. Though yes, I am aware, PHB and Cdiv are the greatest cheese factories. :smallamused:

I know that you're not supposed to wear down the hit points of enemies. But once that is established, what do you do with 8th to 14th level spellcasters, both as PCs and as opponents for lower level parties?

And I think we can skip chain-gating solars. :smallwink:

hymer
2013-01-16, 03:15 PM
My personal favourite: Buff your melee, buff your animal companion, send'em in first. Advance quietly, stay in the back, and make the most of your spells (preferably without dealing much actual damage - or what's the melee to do?). Heal/restore/etc. everyone after the fight (preferably with wands).
If that fails, turn into your favourite wildshape or summon your baddest minion and turn the enemy to mush. Be quick about OOG, and don't gloat. Point out that you were only able to do it, because the others softened the enemy up first (even though it likely isn't true).

Karoht
2013-01-16, 04:08 PM
Illusions are awesome at low level if you know how to play the shell game with them really well. Lots of misdirection, waste the time and actions and attention of the enemies. Back that up with even basic battlefield control and the odd touch of blasting and you're off to the races.

Toppling Spell is my all time favorite low level metamagic (from PF, I'm sure there is a 3.5 equivilant) and use things like Twilight Knife and Magic Missile to start knocking over enemies all over the place.
Toppling Spell + Spiritual Weapon + Spiritual Ally = Many attempts to knock something prone per round, as Move and Swift actions, leaving your standard action.
Melf's Unicorn Arrow is made of all kinds of win, even without Toppling Spell.
Best of all, Toppling Spell is a +1 adjustment, so a rod of Toppling Spell is cheap.

Mortenkainen's Buzzing Bee + Melf's Acid Arrow is all kinds of silly against casters. They're burning in acid for continuous damage, and there is a bee bugging the crap out of them. Have fun with those concentration checks fellas.

Widen Spell + any of the Pit spells is fun.

Enter Image can be completely hilarious for messing with people, or just carefully spying on someone. Coins can have your likeness on them, and it is easy to slip someone a coin or two, now you have a potential listening device.

Spectral Hand + Touch Spells = Yes. Poke people from across the room with Touch of Idiocy or Touch of Gracelessness, or even Fatigue. Vampiric Touch + Spectral Hand + Greater Invisibility makes you rather difficult to track down, and there is a hand flying around crippling people. Or use Spectral Hand to deliver a Toppling Spell + Force Punch. And laugh.
Bonus points if you make your Spectral Hand run around using it's fingers as legs like Thing on The Addams Family.

Aqueous Orb + Sleet Storm.
Aqueous Orb picks up the bad guys. Dumps them into the Sleetstorm, goes to pick up more badguys. Yes, it's a Pathfinder spell but I'm sure you can find an equivilant.
Add Snowsight to the mix (so you can see through your own Sleet Storm) and things start to get outright silly. Best of all, it tends to hurt low level casters the most, as Aqueous Orb is a Reflex Save (SR no), and Sleetstorm requires an Acrobatics check to move through it, and blocks line of sight. Grab Spell Focus (Conjuration) to boost the DC's (including the Acrobatics check)

Celerity + Belt of Battle for action economy Shenanigans.

Story
2013-01-16, 04:17 PM
Best of all, Toppling Spell is a +1 adjustment, so a rod of Toppling Spell is cheap.

Is there any place where prices for metamagic rods are listed besides the ones in the SRD? I always assumed that you could only get rods for Empower, Enlarge, Extend, Maximize, Quicken, and Silent.

Spuddles
2013-01-16, 05:26 PM
Illusions are awesome at low level if you know how to play the shell game with them really well. Lots of misdirection, waste the time and actions and attention of the enemies. Back that up with even basic battlefield control and the odd touch of blasting and you're off to the races.

Toppling Spell is my all time favorite low level metamagic (from PF, I'm sure there is a 3.5 equivilant) and use things like Twilight Knife and Magic Missile to start knocking over enemies all over the place.
Toppling Spell + Spiritual Weapon + Spiritual Ally = Many attempts to knock something prone per round, as Move and Swift actions, leaving your standard action.
Melf's Unicorn Arrow is made of all kinds of win, even without Toppling Spell.

Mortenkainen's Buzzing Bee + Melf's Acid Arrow is all kinds of silly against casters. They're burning in acid for continuous damage, and there is a bee bugging the crap out of them. Have fun with those concentration checks fellas.

Widen Spell + any of the Pit spells is fun.

Enter Image can be completely hilarious for messing with people, or just carefully spying on someone. Coins can have your likeness on them, and it is easy to slip someone a coin or two, now you have a potential listening device.

Spectral Hand + Touch Spells = Yes. Poke people from across the room with Touch of Idiocy or Touch of Gracelessness, or even Fatigue. Vampiric Touch + Spectral Hand + Greater Invisibility makes you rather difficult to track down, and there is a hand flying around crippling people. Or use Spectral Hand to deliver a Toppling Spell + Force Punch. And laugh.
Bonus points if you make your Spectral Hand run around using it's fingers as legs like Thing on The Addams Family.

Aqueous Orb + Sleet Storm.
Aqueous Orb picks up the bad guys. Dumps them into the Sleetstorm, goes to pick up more badguys. Yes, it's a Pathfinder spell but I'm sure you can find an equivilant.
Add Snowsight to the mix (so you can see through your own Sleet Storm) and things start to get outright silly. Best of all, it tends to hurt low level casters the most, as Aqueous Orb is a Reflex Save (SR no), and Sleetstorm requires an Acrobatics check to move through it, and blocks line of sight. Grab Spell Focus (Conjuration) to boost the DC's (including the Acrobatics check)

Celerity + Belt of Battle for action economy Shenanigans.

Half this stuff isn't in the sources allowed.
Try again.