PDA

View Full Version : Touch Spells via Natural Weapon Atk

JeenLeen
2013-01-16, 04:23 PM
My DM and I were discussing if something were allowed by RAW or not.

Let's say my character is a humanoid spellcaster with both unarmed strike and natural weapons (like a claw or tentacle). I want to cast a touch spell (standard action).

1. Can I deliver a touch spell through the natural weapon as a touch attack instead of using my hand? (Delivering just the spell)

2. Could I spend 1 standard action to cast the spell, charging it in my natural weapon, and the next round spend my standard action to attack (not touch attack) with that natural weapon, discharging the spell at the same time? (Delivering the spell and doing physical damage)
For #2, do you know what book describes these rules? He said I have to find it in RAW if I want to do it, since he thinks only special classes can do such.

Also, are there any limitations to how long a touch spell stays charged on one's hand? (I think I read it a while back, but not sure where. If in the PHB and not OGC, please give me the page number or section, if you recall it.)

Keld Denar
2013-01-16, 04:52 PM
The free attack you get as part of the action of casting a touch spell us only a melee touch attack. It doesn't allow you to make any other type of attack.

If you were holding the charge (see relevant subsection in the magic chapter of the PHB), then yes, any natural attack would discharge the held spell. That includes UASs, attacks with claws, bites, or other parts of the body. This required at least two actions, however. One to cast the spell and hold the charge and one to make a standard melee attack (or attack as part of a full attack action).

You can hold a spell indefinitely so long as you do not touch another target or cast any other spell.

Gotterdammerung
2013-01-16, 06:08 PM
Complete arcane pg 73

Improved Unarmed Strike: You can add the damage
of your unarmed strike to the damage of a touch spell by
delivering the spell as a regular melee attack instead of a
melee touch attack. The defender gets the full benefit of
armor and shield, but if the attack hits, the unarmed strike
deals normal damage over and above any damage the spell
does as it is discharged. If the unarmed strike misses, then
the spell is not discharged.
If the unarmed strike scores a critical hit, damage from
the spell is not multiplied.

Crake
2013-01-16, 11:23 PM
Complete arcane pg 73

Hmm, so at the cost of having to hit a higher AC *and* losing the spell damage multiplication on a crit, you get a little bit of extra damage, doesn't sound like a worthwhile trade in my opinion.

The Viscount
2013-01-18, 12:36 AM
In combat it doesn't seem too great, but if you know you are going to use it, you can cast it at the beginning of the day and just hold it.

Arbane
2013-01-18, 01:04 AM
In combat it doesn't seem too great, but if you know you are going to use it, you can cast it at the beginning of the day and just hold it.

Just don't pick your nose.... :smallamused:

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 01:53 AM

What do you do if you need to cast something else?

Andreaz
2013-01-18, 06:49 AM
What do you do if you need to cast something else?You sit down and cry very carefully.

Deophaun
2013-01-18, 09:21 AM
Hmm, so at the cost of having to hit a higher AC *and* losing the spell damage multiplication on a crit, you get a little bit of extra damage, doesn't sound like a worthwhile trade in my opinion.
Chill touch + multiple natural attacks = lots of Strength damage on full attack.

Also, if you miss, you still retain the charge.