PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 PrC] Knight of Lightning - inspired by inuyasha's spell Lightning Speed

CinuzIta
2013-01-16, 06:07 PM
Hello everybody!

As the title alreadys says, these is a PrC that came to my mind while I was looking at inuyasha's new spell, Lightning Speed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267757)

Knight of Lightning

The Knight of Lightning is a person that has experienced the thrill of the battle while being affected by the Lightning Speed spell. The speed, the electricity flowing from his finger onto his sword, his reflexes multiplied. Everything felt better while under the spell effect. Then why doing without?
Practicing continuosly, the character has learned how to imbue the power of lightning into himself, to replicate the spell's effects...and even other, unexpected, effects.

Becoming a Knight of Lightning
To become a Knight of Lightning, there's no other way than to find another one. Only a senior Knight of Lightning can teach to a warrior the way to become part of this kind of "order". The path to becoming one usually consists of fighting under the constant effect of lightning speed, so that the character gets used to its effects and understands its inner workings. By the time they have finished their training, they are able to cast the spell on their own and have unlocked a portion of their potential for lightning.
Swashbucklers are common Knights of Lightning, because of their love for fast and nimble fights, but Barbarians, Fighters, and Rangers may join as well. Paladins, on the other hand, are seldom attracted due to their more exclusive devotion to the cause of good or individual deities.

Prerequisite:
BaB: +9
Feat: Lightning Reflexes, Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative.
Special: must possess a weapon with the Shock or Shock Burst enchantment in it. The character must have been affected by the lightning speed spell at least three times in his life.

d10
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0| Wandering Lightning, One with the Lightning

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0| Lightning Movements

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1| Lightning Rapidity

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1| Lightning Reflexes

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1| Lightning Aura[/table]
Skill Points: 4+Int. Skills: Balance (Dex), Concentration (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana, Int), Knowledge (Nature, Int), Knowledge (Planes, Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Wandering Lightning (Sup): When he uses this ability, a lightning descends from the sky (whatever the weather is like) and hit the character. The character is teletrasported in the place he wants, and when he arrives in that place, another lightning descends from the sky and the character materializes in the point struck by the lightning.
A number of times per day equal to the Knight of Lightning's class level, the character can spend a standard action to teleport himself/herself to a distance up to 600 ft + 40ft per Class Level. You always arrive at the location desired, whether by visualizing the area or stating a direction like "600 feet to the east upwards at a 45 degree angle". If the location you choose is occupied, all creatures and objects within 5' of where you appear take 1d6 Electrical Damage per class level and they are knocked back 10 ft. from their original location. If the character appear in a place where a large creature or object (at least two sizes larger than the character) already is, then the character takes 1d6 damage and appear within 100 feet; if there's no place in 100 feet, the character takes 2d6 damage and appear within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet you take 4d6 damage and this ability fails.

One With The Lightning (Sup): once per encounter, the character can use the lightning speed spell, at a spellcaster level equal to ½ his HD +1 per class level. Moreover, from now on the Shock or Shock Burst enchantments in his weapons deal more damage (2d6 instead of 1d6 for teh Shock enchantment and 3d6 instead of 2d6 for the Shock Burst enchantment).

Lightning Movements (Ex): when he's using One With The Lightning the character can, once per round, deny an enemy attack of opportunity directed to him. Also, his natural speed increases by 10 feet.

Lightning Rapidity (Ex): when using One With The Lightning the character becomes fast enough to get an additional extra attack (for a total of two extra attacks maximum, counting that achieved by the spell). This attack does not use his highest base attack bonus, but the next one. The character also becomes able to feint in melee with a swift action (One With The Lightning must be active to feint with a swift action).

Lightning Reflexes (Ex): the same speed of lightning has become part of the character, which can react much better in different situations. You gain a +2 bonus to Reflex saving throw, and also the Rogue special ability Opportunist.

Lightning Aura (Sup): the character is constantly surrounded by an aura of electricity. Anyone who attacks the character, hitting, immediately suffers electricity damage equal to ½ the character's HD. The character can suppress this aura and reactivate it at any time as an immediate action.

Playing a Knight of Lightning
The self-proclaimed "Knights" of Lightning have little to do with the classical knight. Even tough they can be honourable, quite all the Knights of Lightning are conscious of their power so they tend to be a little bit bullies. They are proud of themselves, but they can be stubborn if something goes against them. They, however, makes excellent traveling companions and surely they are also good comrades in arms, be they good or evil.

Combat
Usually a Knight of Lightning is expert enough in combat to fight in first line, making use of their powers to excel in combat. If he can, the Knight of Lightning will make use of his high agility to obtain an advantage in combat, moving quickly and often, torturing their enemies with the electric bolt granted by Lightning Bolt and then attacking them with their weapons.

Advancement
All of the classes who grant extra mobility or more attack power fits very well with the Knight of Lightning combat style.

Resources
Knights of Lightning are usually loners. Even though these doesn't mean they're anti social, they usually are to cocky to serve in an army or to obey a leader, so if they can't lead a group, probably they won't be interested in joining. Their most valuable resource, in addition to their weapon, is theirselves: their power flows from their impetuous hearts and from what they have learned during their training. Most of them serves as mercenary, being these a job that let you choose where to go and also allow the Knight of Lightning to choose their jobs...when they do not urgently need money at least

NPC Reactions
People usually is patient with a Knight of Lightning and tolerate their behaviour, knowing wich kind of power flows in their veins. After all, no one like to be fried by a thunder just because of a little fight.

Daily Life
Since all of the Knight of Lightning has his own objectives, their daily life depends on how and where they live. Just like any other person. They are happy to help those in trouble, just to show their skills to others.

Organizations
There is no organization of Knights of Lightning. In fact, is rather difficult for a normal person (but even for a skilled adventurer) to find a master of the Knights of Lightning willing to teach how to become one of them. When two Knights meet, however, they are friendly and supportive to each other, knowing that they are part of a privileged minority who had the good fortune to become one of the knights of lightning.

More fluff to come! :)

inuyasha
2013-01-16, 06:44 PM
this is just so cool :smallbiggrin:

P.S. if i make more spells I will be sure to post them for everyone to see (which reminds me...heheheh)

TuggyNE
2013-01-16, 09:24 PM
Pretty nice class, more or less decently balanced.

The Knight of Lightning is a person that has experienced the thrill of the battle while being affected by the Lightning Speed spell. The speed, the electricity flowing from his finger onto his sword, his reflexes multiplied. Everything felt better while under the spell effect. Then why doing without?
Practicing continuosly, the character has learned how to imbue the power of lightning into himself, to replicate the spell's effects...and even other, unexpected, effects.

Becoming a Knight of Lightning
To become a Knight of Lightning, there's no other way than to find another one. Only a senior Knight of Lightning can teach to a warrior the way to become part of this kind of "order".

Minor typos underlined.

The proofs to become one usually consist in fightings under the costant effect of the Lightning Speed spell, so that the character get used to it and understand how it works. By the time the character'll finish his training, he'll has learned to cast the spell and to unlock a part of the lightning potential.
Usually are Swashbucklers those who enter these classe more often, because of their love for fast and nimble fights, but also Barbarians, Fighters and Rangers become Knight of Lightning. Paladins are not usually attracted by these class because they only worship their deities, not a thunder.

Needs a bit more rewording; perhaps something like this?
The path to becoming one usually consists of fighting under the constant effect of lightning speed, so that the character gets used to its effects and understands its inner workings. By the time they have finished their training, they are able to cast the spell on their own and have unlocked a portion of their potential for lightning.
Swashbucklers are common Knights of Lightning, because of their love for fast and nimble fights, but Barbarians, Fighters, and Rangers may join as well. Paladins, on the other hand, are seldom attracted due to their more exclusive devotion to the cause of good or individual deities.

Special: must possess a weapon with the Shock enchantment in it.

Or Shocking Burst?

Lightning Cannon (Mag): a number of times per day equals to his class level, the character can use the dimensional door spell, with a caster level equal to 10+1 per class level. When he use this spell, a lightning descends from the sky (whatever the weather is like) and hit the character. The character is teletrasported in the place he wants, and when he arrives in that place, another lightning descends from the sky and the character materializes in the point struck by lightning. Every creature or object is at the point struck by the lightning suffers 1d6 electrcity damage per character's class level.

Should probably be marked (Sp); also, the term you're looking for is probably "teleported".

Dimension door doesn't normally let you attack after using it, so you may want to adjust that.

One With The Lightning (Mag): once per encounter, the character can use the Lightning Speed spell, at a spellcaster level equal to ½ his HD +1 per class level. Moreover, from now on the Shock enchantment in his weapons deals more damage (2d6 instead of 1d6).

Also an (Sp). Again, no love for Shocking Burst? :smalltongue:

Lightning Aura (Sup): the character is constantly surrounded by an aura of electricity. Anyone who attacks the character, hitting, immediately suffers electricity damage equal to ½ the character's HD. These damage is not subject to DR or Energy Resistance. The character can suppress this aura and reactivate it at any time as an immediate action.

It would never be subject to DR anyway, but making it ignore electricity resistance may be a bit much.

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 03:59 AM
thank you for typos' corrections, those are very needed..especially when I'm tired!:)

The first version of these class included Shocking Burst, but I decided to remove it, because having a weapon with Shock and Shocking burst would have been too expensive to just enter a prc

Eheh I noticed the "teleported" mistyping, I just was too tired to change it yesterday!:)
I know dimensional door usually doesn't deal damage, but I'll keep it these why..after all I only wrote the spell name to explain clearly the teleport mechanics, but he's actually traveling via thunder. Maybe I should change the description to "he can teleport as if using dimensional door"..

Mmh, why do you think lightning aura is too powerful as it is? There are other things way more powerful than this special ability

TuggyNE
2013-01-17, 04:43 AM
The first version of these class included Shocking Burst, but I decided to remove it, because having a weapon with Shock and Shocking burst would have been too expensive to just enter a prc

Not saying you should require both of them, but either one should be enough.

I know dimensional door usually doesn't deal damage, but I'll keep it these why..after all I only wrote the spell name to explain clearly the teleport mechanics, but he's actually traveling via thunder. Maybe I should change the description to "he can teleport as if using dimensional door".

That's not the problem, I just meant that (unless you really want the Knight to be unable to make AoOs, move, or use swift actions until their next move) you should probably adjust the language of dimension door.

Mmh, why do you think lightning aura is too powerful as it is? There are other things way more powerful than this special ability

Generally you don't get the ability to bypass energy resistance in the same class feature/feat/whatever as the energy damage. It's not necessarily too powerful by itself, it's more the principle of the thing.

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 07:17 AM
oh well, of course shocking burst can be an alternative, no problem with it:)

Anyway I'm losing you, I don't think I get what you're suggesting about the lightning cannon

ArcturusV
2013-01-17, 07:56 AM
I think what he means is the Dimension Door effect says, in part:

A creature using this spell cannot take actions until his/her next turn.

Maybe not exactly those words. But it has that effect. So any turn you use the Lightning Cannon you can't do anything else with it.

Also note that Dimension Door deals damage to the user and any creature tagging along if there is something at the location they choose to pop out at (And they pop out somewhere up to 100 feet away).

So the ability in effect reads, if used as intended:

You deal XdY lightning damage to a target, you take 1d6 damage and appear somewhere within 100 feet of the target. You may not make any actions until your next turn.

Considering this is a Fighter Type, that's kinda harsh. Trading damage for damage, and you won't be able to do anything until next round. You might want to, at this point, completely eliminate the reference to Dimension Door and treat it as a unique effect.

Also since it's a Teleportation thing, and not a blast like some Lightning bolt spell or Fireball, I'd rename it something like "Ride the Lightning".

So the ability would look more like this:

Ride the Lightning: A number of times per day equal to the Knight of Lightning's class level, the character can spend a standard action to teleport himself/herself to a distance up to 800 ft + 40ft per Class Level. You always arrive at the location desired, whether by visualizing the area or stating a direction like "600 feet to the east upwards at a 45 degree angle". If the location you choose is occupied, you take 1d6 damage and appear in an open location within 100 feet. If there is no valid location within 100 feet, you take 2d6 damage and appear within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet you take 4d6 damage and this ability fails.
All creatures within 5' of where you appear take 1d6 Electrical Damage per class level.

This I believe is what you intended for the ability to be.

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 09:29 AM
Oh I see, I hadn't considered the spell's implication..uhm, well considering that a creature getting damages because of the ability is actually being struck by a thunder, I'd say that the character takes no damage. He instead take the place of the struck creature, while this one get crushed 60 feet away from the thunder. If the character teleport to a place where there is a larger creature or object (at least two sizes bigger), then the ability follows the normal dimensional door rules..

Please note that I hadn't created this ability as an offensive one, the damage is just a drawback for the way the character reappears. What I had in mind was something like "okay, time to get to another place" ZAP "whoops...was that a farmer?". I've tried to represent a way of traveling that is somewhat casual and unsafe. I teleport there and there'd be better be no one when I arrive...Infact the damage amount is not that high to be a serious deal for a foe..

ArcturusV
2013-01-17, 09:39 AM
Ah. See, power of Names. Naming it "Lightning Cannon" makes it sound like it was intended as a Dynamic Entry combat ability akin to a lot of Improved Charging sort of abilities. Least that's how it sounds, and along with some of the effects that's what it seems like you wanted out of it.

If it's more intended to be a movement ability and not a strictly offensive ability you should probably remove the damage component. Having it there is just going to make people want to use it as an attack.

Considering the Feat requirements (And again, name) it makes the class sound like it is meant for a melee warrior sort of build. So the most likely use I could see for it is really as that Charge Equatable action, being able to teleport into the position that you want. If it does a knock back effect it pretty much defeats the purpose.

As a side note, if I remember most "knock back" effects like that also inflict falling damage as if you fell that distance. But I might be misremembering an older rule/edition. So it'd still be a damaging ability. And again, making it so that you're 2 rounds away from whoever you wanted to target kinda defeating the purpose...

... though it might be funny to use that knock back effect to punt around enemies for a few rounds. Two Knight of Lightnings playing a game of "Punt the Ogre"?

I'd laugh. :smallbiggrin:

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 09:54 AM
eh, my bad! I didn't knew how to translate the ability name from italian to english, and google translator (shame on me) suggested me Lightning Cannon.

Anyway the class is obviously intended to be melee oriented, and if the player wants to use that ability as an attack he's free to do it..but it just wouldn't be a smart thing to do, because as you said your actions for the turn would be spent and the next round you'd be the target of an enemy charge (and if the enemy has pounce or the jump attack feat, that would hurt).
Maybe, to reduce the amount of damage coming from the knock back, these could be reduced to 10 feet (at these distance these should be no damage, right?)

Punt the ogre..I'd love to see it!:)

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 01:38 PM
What about something as this?

Wandering Lightning (Sup): When he use this ability, a lightning descends from the sky (whatever the weather is like) and hit the character. The character is teletrasported in the place he wants, and when he arrives in that place, another lightning descends from the sky and the character materializes in the point struck by the lightning.
A number of times per day equal to the Knight of Lightning's class level, the character can spend a standard action to teleport himself/herself to a distance up to 600 ft + 40ft per Class Level. You always arrive at the location desired, whether by visualizing the area or stating a direction like "600 feet to the east upwards at a 45 degree angle". If the location you choose is occupied, all creatures and objects within 5' of where you appear take 1d6 Electrical Damage per class level and they are knocked back 10 ft. from their original location. If the character appear in a place where a large creature or object (at least two sizes larger than the character) already is, then the character takes 1d6 damage and appear within 100 feet; if there's no place in 100 feet, the character takes 2d6 damage and appear within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet you take 4d6 damage and this ability fails.

inuyasha
2013-01-17, 01:49 PM
Once again, I think this is great, but I do agree with the changes other people are saying :)

CinuzIta
2013-01-17, 03:03 PM
Mh, the point is that I wanted to give him some sort of unique ability, not just a dimension door.

Anyway, my version and Arcturus' one are not that different. Mine has only the knock back effect for creatures ranging from large size to the smaller ones (assuming the character is medium size). And the knock back has no other effects if not to move the creature of 10 ft. I mean, it seems normal to me. I doubt that a creature struck by a thunder would remain in the same position it was before:smallsmile: