PDA

View Full Version : once again, another cool spell: soul rip!

inuyasha
2013-01-16, 07:02 PM
Hello, some of you may know me from my lightning speed spell, my failed attempt at making Cthulhu, or my requests for a demon army. Well now I present you with another spell, Soul rip, a spell that can rip a targets soul out of its body, trapping it in the astral plane forever, MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

soul rip
necromancy [evil]
Level: Wis/Sor 9 Clr 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: touch
Targets: living creature touched
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: fortitude partial (see text)
Spell resistance: yes
When you cast this spell and touch a living creature, it rips the target's soul from their body and banishes it to the astral plane. The target's soul is connected to its body as if using Astral Projection, but the target is unable to travel to other planes or back to its body. This effect can be reversed only by a Wish or Miracle spell, or by divine intervention.

If the target makes its save it resists the effect, but still takes 1d6 wisdom drain and 1d6 charisma drain as its soul is damaged. Unlike normal ability drain, this drain cannot be healed by a normal Restoration spell, but can be healed by Greater Restoration, Wish, or Miracle, or by divine intervention.

Material component: an ounce of githyanki blood, which is consumed when the spell is cast
So let me know what you think, feel free to criticize (constructive criticism is good), feel free to make alterations, and yes theres probably alot of things wrong with this spell. Just feel free to tell me :smallbiggrin:

Madara
2013-01-16, 08:02 PM
permanant ability damage is called ability drain, but I will point out that a touch range spell is...less than desirable. Especially considering there are better lower-level save or dies.

I suggest having the spell be limited by HD, but granting you the touch-attack soul-rip for a period of time. 1 round/2 levels? This would bring it to about level 7

inuyasha
2013-01-16, 08:21 PM
permanant ability damage is called ability drain, but I will point out that a touch range spell is...less than desirable. Especially considering there are better lower-level save or dies.

I suggest having the spell be limited by HD, but granting you the touch-attack soul-rip for a period of time. 1 round/2 levels? This would bring it to about level 7

ok :) thanks for the comments

Yitzi
2013-01-16, 08:34 PM
-If it's so evil, maybe it should have the [Evil] descriptor? And "very powerful" sort of goes with being level 9, so just give it the [Evil] descriptor and cut out that first sentence entirely.

Although I'm not sure why it would be particularly evil in the first place.

-I would disagree with Madara, as it seems to be fairly well-balanced against Imprisonment. There are in fact lower-level save-or-die spells, but they can be reversed with a simple Raise Dead or at worst Resurrection (in the case of a death effect, which has the added downside of being blockable by Death Ward), whereas this needs a Wish or Miracle, and has a fairly nasty effect even with a save.

So I would change it to the following:

Soul Rip
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Clr 9
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Fortitude partial (see text)
Spell resistance: Yes
When you cast this spell and touch a living creature, it rips the target's soul from their body and banishes it to the astral plane. The target's soul is connected to its body as if using Astral Projection, but the target is unable to travel to other planes or back to its body. This effect can be reversed only by a Wish or Miracle spell, or by divine intervention.

If the target makes its save it resists the effect, but still takes 1d6 wisdom drain and 1d6 charisma drain as its soul is damaged. Unlike normal ability drain, this drain cannot be healed by a normal Restoration spell, but can be healed by Greater Restoration, Wish, or Miracle, or by divine intervention.

Material component: an ounce of githyanki blood, which is consumed when the spell is cast

inuyasha
2013-01-16, 09:01 PM
-If it's so evil, maybe it should have the [Evil] descriptor? And "very powerful" sort of goes with being level 9, so just give it the [Evil] descriptor and cut out that first sentence entirely.

Although I'm not sure why it would be particularly evil in the first place.

-I would disagree with Madara, as it seems to be fairly well-balanced against Imprisonment. There are in fact lower-level save-or-die spells, but they can be reversed with a simple Raise Dead or at worst Resurrection (in the case of a death effect, which has the added downside of being blockable by Death Ward), whereas this needs a Wish or Miracle, and has a fairly nasty effect even with a save.

So I would change it to the following:

Soul Rip
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Clr 9
Target: Living Creature Touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw: Fortitude partial (see text)
Spell resistance: Yes

yea that actually sounds good :)

TuggyNE
2013-01-16, 09:12 PM
The spell component should probably have a price, unless you just want it to be flavor. (Do you really want all spell component pouches everywhere to have an ounce or two of githyanki blood? Gross.)

Also, you should probably go into a bit more detail about what the target can or cannot do; they should likely be considered helpless, but you may wish to make it harder for a random Astral Plane traveler or native to gank them. Similarly, does dimensional anchor protect against this?

Finally, consider using ability burn instead of ability drain. :smalltongue:

inuyasha
2013-01-16, 09:30 PM
The spell component should probably have a price, unless you just want it to be flavor. (Do you really want all spell component pouches everywhere to have an ounce or two of githyanki blood? Gross.)

Also, you should probably go into a bit more detail about what the target can or cannot do; they should likely be considered helpless, but you may wish to make it harder for a random Astral Plane traveler or native to gank them. Similarly, does dimensional anchor protect against this?

Finally, consider using ability burn instead of ability drain. :smalltongue:

so having alot of githyanki blood is gross but it isnt gross to have to reach in and pull out hunks of bat crap and sulfur every time you cast fireball?

TuggyNE
2013-01-16, 10:54 PM
so having alot of githyanki blood is gross but it isnt gross to have to reach in and pull out hunks of bat crap and sulfur every time you cast fireball?

I'm actually on record as being against all 0-cost spell components, standard or homebrewed. (Which is why none of my homebrewed spells have them.) I figured I'd just give the short version. :smalltongue: