PDA

View Full Version : Madness, Blood and Thunder in Ravens Bluff Thread 2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

TheFallenOne
2013-01-16, 10:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/eCQBjJJ.png
https://i.imgur.com/UHtKbMI.png

Current date: 11th of Hammer 1373 DR

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287186)

Sallera
2013-01-17, 11:57 AM
Mirielle's

"It wouldn't necessarily be immediately, and it probably wouldn't take that long. The Larshon job - and Sorrow, by extension - is on a set timeframe, and if we do go, it could probably wait until after that's dealt with." Aya shrugs, eyes slowly closing. "We've all got things to deal with, sure, this just might be one of them. I'll tell you more tomorrow..."

Well, maybe move on to the fire investigation?

rypt
2013-01-17, 06:24 PM
Oldover House

Truly, a day for exotic women, Cael muses, bowing his head deferentially. "Alhruar Eleryin, a pleasure to meet you, Miss Terlon. Thank you," he says, accepting the seat but declining, as graciously as he can manage, the offered cigars. "And thank you for agreeing to speak with me at this, well, unconventional hour. I can appreciate the value of your time, and I do not intend to waste it.

"I have come to you this evening with two questions. The first is more a matter of my own curiosity, but I believe it will provide some context for the second." He shifts forward in his chair. "Is it true that the portals between Toril and Sigil are closing?"

TheFallenOne
2013-01-17, 07:26 PM
Oldover House

She suddenly stops before the cigar reaches her lips, clearly not expecting the question. "Where did you hear that? I can't rule it out as information about the precious portals to that particular place isn't freely bandied about, but it strikes me as highly improbable. And learning of such an occurance wouldn't be easy, as those portals aren't exactly accessible to the public."

your speech colour was off on the last post

rypt
2013-01-18, 09:31 PM
Oldover House

"Certainly not." Cael replies with the slightest hint of a smile. "And that is something to keep in mind as you consider this next question, and the purpose of my visit. Are you interested in learning the location of a working portal to Sigil within the city?"

TheFallenOne
2013-01-19, 01:12 AM
Oldover House

She leans back, sinking deeper into the armchair, a smirk passing over her thing lips. "Now now, I invited you in for a chat. That means you got to provide answers just as well as questions. So, where did you hear that thing? Same place you learned about the portal I presume?"

Jeff the Green
2013-01-20, 07:07 PM
Pumpside

Mirielle's eyes go wide at the mention of Aldar's name, but she manages to remain collected enough to finish the conversation and find somewhere to sit down.

When Aya and Jorran find her, she offers an explanation in stricken tone. "Aldar was a friend of my family's before I entered the cloister. We'd kept an occasional correspondence since then, and it was he that suggested that I speak with Misti. I think... I think it was my presence here and my investigations that killed him."

She pulls out the firmament stone she habitually carries on her person and glances at it. "I don't know that I want to talk about this now, and I definitely don't want to here. Lunch tomorrow? We can leave a message for Alaister tonight to join us."

Sallera
2013-01-21, 12:06 AM
Pumpside

Aya frowns, quickly looking about, but lets Mirielle finish. "Yeah... I thought he wanted to be found. He's..." confused. Reaching. An expert at killing people with no way to defend themselves, but in unfamiliar territory when it came to a target who had reason to expect him. He didn't have her skill set. "...never mind. Tomorrow, then. But I'm walking back with you anyway." And keeping a good eye out for anyone watching them, as well. If she were experimenting with emotional manipulation, she'd want to know the results.

"And Miri... don't get hasty. You know he'll be watching for that, now."

rypt
2013-01-21, 07:31 PM
Oldover House

"Your presumption is correct. I cannot give you a name though, if that's what you're expecting. It's someone who I trust, and someone who has recently used the portal themselves."

If Nalia seems unsatisfied with this response, Cael will shrug, adding, "I'm sorry. Answers you may not like, but answers all the same."

TheFallenOne
2013-01-22, 01:51 AM
Oldover House

"Well, it is your prerogative to trust who you like. I'm sure you'll understand I can't take the word of a stranger on a purported occurance so unlikely, and much less the word of an anonymous friend of a stranger. We're scholars here, and that includes certain standards in our sources."
For a moment, it seems the smoke she exhales form strange runes, but they quickly desolve. "And as for the location of the portal, I already know it. A cursory glance into the history of Sarbreen yields mention of the portals below, and I am an expert on planar matters after all."

Jeff the Green
2013-01-22, 03:57 AM
Pumpside -> Posh Paladin -> Mirielle's

"I won't," Mirielle replies, her shock now mingling with anger. "The last thing I intend to do is give this... elf"—she spits the word like it's poison—"a chance to get away with this by being sloppy."

She stands and smooths the front of her cassock. "If you're going to come with me, let's get going."

Mirielle, with Aya in tow, heads first to the Posh Paladin where she leaves Alaister a note asking him to meet at the Raven's Glory for lunch, referring to Cybrarvain as "our mutual enemy" in case the note is seen by eyes other than Alaister's. Then she walks home and bids Aya "farewell."

At her apartment, Mirielle offers devotion to Kelemvor for the second time that night. There is little joy in Kelemvor's litany, like there might be in Sune's or Sharess's, but there is comfort. Her grief somewhat dulled, she crawls between her bedclothes and falls rapidly asleep.

Jeff the Green
2013-01-22, 10:07 PM
17th of Marpenoth

Halls of Mystery

Mirielle slept poorly the previous night, but, even so, rises while the sun still touches the horizon. She washes and breaks her fast quietly and somberly before heading to the Halls of Mystery.

There she walks quickly and directly to the library, adopting a grim face that she hopes will discourage anyone from trying to strike up casual conversation. She has neither the energy nor the inclination for it today.

Sallera
2013-01-23, 11:05 AM
The Halls of Mystery

Having retired earlier than usual the previous night, Aya is up well before the sun rises, and dawn finds her in the library, perusing histories for references to their target - a task that isn't helped by her tendency to come across an interesting and unrelated passage and spend the next several minutes reading before remembering what she was looking for.

Mirielle's frown does little to deter her, and she closes her current book softly. "Morning, Miri. Before we get started, I wanted to explain a little more about 'Alhruar', that diviner. I'd have told you yesterday, but, well..." Aya shrugs. "Jorran can keep secrets just fine, but he's not much for more general subtlety."

"Put shortly, getting Alhruar on-side, or vice versa, is one of my current jobs. That unrelated business I mentioned him having? He's after something the Watch has - prisoner or evidence, I don't yet know - and I need to make sure he doesn't go overboard trying to get it. That means getting him to trust me - or one of us, at least - so I wanted you, at least, to know what's going on before we hire him."

rypt
2013-01-23, 07:11 PM
Oldover House

"Yes, of course," Cael replies, bowing his head respectfully. Recognizing the futility of attempting to sell information to someone who already possesses it, he might have excused himself right then and there were it not for the manner in which Nalia had reacted to his first question. "And perhaps you also know of the portals in the Yuirwood, Anauroch, the Spine of the World and Amn?" He pauses a moment to permit a reply. "They have all been closed." If only for dramatic effect, he pauses again.

"Perhaps I'm lying to you; perhaps my friend lied to me; but consider the fact that I came here to speak to you, an expert, as you say, in such matters, and likely one of the few people in this city most likely to know the truth of it all already. What a foolish errand this would be as an attempt to deceive you.

"Now, with that said, I certainly understand that you, as a scholar, and this institution, as a house of knowledge, have certain standards to maintain. I understand that you may be unwilling or unable to act on what little information I am willing and able to share. If this conversation is the first time and the last time that you entertain the possibility that the doors between Toril and Sigil are closing, then so be it. But will you humor me, at the very least? As an intellectual exercise, a thought experiment -- what if it's true?"

Jeff the Green
2013-01-23, 09:48 PM
The Halls of Mystery

Mirielle ruminates on Aya's information for a few moments. "A visit to Sarbreen or a fight with Loviatarites might be ideal for that," she says eventually. "Shared danger builds trust like little else and gods know there will be plenty of danger in either scenario."

"Without outright lying—and unfortunately I am not a skilled liar—he only other way I could build his trust in me is some sort of philosophical or religious sympathy. I assume your commanders would have told you if he follows the Lady of Mysteries?"

TheFallenOne
2013-01-23, 10:33 PM
Oldover House

She raises an eyebrow at his list, and after a short pause complies. "Well, there is a cautionary tale about a portal that was believed lost for a hundred years. Then it turned out the cave on the other side had just collapsed. It is well known a portal won't work if the destination is blocked, and yet for a century nobody thought to check.

Now, if it is multiple portals it's unlikely such an accident is the cause, but still it would require careful verification whether it affects just portals between Toril and Sigil and no others. If so - portals are often governed by opaque rules. They might not work based on a celestial condition persisting for years. Or only allow a limited number of creatures through in an alloted timespan, or any other reason they might seem to disappear although nothing about their rules changed. A disturbance on the astral plane might affect the connecion between two places perhaps, although I never heard of such a thing. Finally, it could be deliberate action, as powerful magic allows to destroy portals, or allegedly to change the conditions of the Key."

The Halls of Mystery

Shortly after arriving, a disembodied voice she recognizes as a Sending spell reaches Mirielle.

Mirielle Greyhome,

Aldar Bernara wished a letter delivered to you. To receive it state your current residence. Sincerely Darvin Proudsteed, Solicitor & Confidant, Ravens Bluff.

Sallera
2013-01-24, 04:28 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"That is more or less what I was thinking. Having someone watching your back takes some of the tension off. I can probably sell him on the job easily enough, even if he doesn't take the deal for his information."

"Yeah, I figure he'd have mentioned that. I'm not sure who Alhruar follows, but don't worry too much about it. I just wanted you to know what was going on."

Aya waves the book she's holding. "Anyway, I think I'll join you two in the library diving today - for the morning, at least. The Sage is around here somewhere."

Jeff the Green
2013-01-25, 10:15 AM
The Halls of Mystery

Mirielle purses her lips. "You mean Wylam, yes? What do you know about him? I'd hoped to go back to Daranax's Compendium and see if I could get an idea of what sources the author was working from so I could better narrow my search, but sometimes mastersacanthus more arcane corners of study are"—paranoid, unscholarly misers of knowledge—"hesitant to allow relative neophytes access to such materials, and I'd rather not give him the impression I got from some of the clergy my patron inherited from his predecessor. Not if we might yet be working together on this topic."

The day's Knowledge (history) check: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-01-25, 12:07 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"Well, he's one of the most knowledgeable Mystrans around, especially on the topic of outsiders. Aside from the usual Shooting Star duties, it sounds like his group does a fair bit of field research and archaeology as well. As for that book..." Aya grins slightly. "Let's see, he keeps it in a specially modified extradimensional holding space, with what was probably a combination guardian and archivist entity that I doubt would respond to anyone else, and the tome itself is potent enough that you can feel it as soon as it's brought into the room. We're involved in this Amazairyl business deeply enough that he might let you look, but he probably wouldn't want to let it out of his sight."

Knowledge: Local/Religion, whichever's more relevant, on the topic of Wylam: [roll0]

Edit: Oh yes, and Aya will take 10 to Aid Another on the research today - fetching books, looking up references, and the like.

rypt
2013-01-25, 11:07 PM
Oldover House

Cael blinks hard as Nalia describes the complexity of the Sigil's doors. It doesn't come as much of a surprise to him that such powerful magics would be bound by esoteric rules, but her words are troubling nonetheless. Could Liara have mistaken the signs of some pending cataclysm for an unlikely, but not impossible series of events?

"I don't suppose you know the rules governing any of the portals I just mentioned? Not that I am asking you to share them with me, but as a means of eliminating certain possibilities..."

TheFallenOne
2013-01-25, 11:23 PM
Oldover House

"I do know how one can access Sigil through the Dreaming Moon Door beneath this city, but that information I do not part with for free. And I can never rule out there are more complicated rules at work unnoticed." She crosses her legs and puts out the cigar in an ashtray. "There is no simple spell to determine all the intricate workings. Creating permanent portals requires immensely powerful magic, and anyone with that power surely has means o obscure details from lesser practioniers of the Art."

Jeff the Green
2013-01-28, 04:32 AM
The Halls of Mystery

"Well, I won't need to take it home," Mirielle says, nodding at Aya, "so I doubt that will be a problem. Sounds like it won't hurt to ask, in any case."

With that, Mirielle consults her notes and retrieves the book she'd left off at the previous day.

I'm going to assume tha based on what you said, TFO, that Wylam comes in at some point in the morning. If not, ignore the rest.

Mirielle looks up from her book at the Sage as he comes in. With an adjustment to her glasses and she marks her place and approaches him. "Sage Wylam? Can I have a look at the Compendium of the Dark Arts? I think it might help me find more pertinent works if I could figure out the sources Daranax was working from. As it is it will take a great while to find what we're looking for."

Diplomacy, if appropriate: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-01-28, 02:34 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"Seems like it'll take a great while anyway, so a little extra direction can't hurt," Aya adds, frowning down at the fragile pages of her latest acquisition. For all her natural grace, archery wasn't a practice that lent itself to delicate fingers. "This is an impressive library, for sure, but that doesn't make it any easier to search through."

rypt
2013-01-28, 03:22 PM
Oldover House

For a moment, Cael does not reply, as he finds himself imagining less-than-desirable scenarios in which he and Liara arrive at the portal only to find that they have failed to satisfy some unknowable condition, or that they lack some key or magical focus. Perhaps this warrants further discussion with my sister.

"Well," he says finally with an uneasy chuckle and a smile to match, "you certainly have given me a lot to think about. That you have given me your time at all-- I will not waste it further." He rises to his feet and gives a courteous half-bow. "I thank you again, Miss Terlon. If I should discover more substantive proof concerning my friend's theory, be it for or against, I will be certain to share it."

TheFallenOne
2013-01-31, 06:50 PM
The Halls of Mystery

Wylam pinches the bridge of his nose and sighs deeply when Mirielle adresses him. "I'm not fond of the 'Sage' title some ascribe to me, did Adela put you up to that? Just call me by my name.
Daranax is a primary source, one of the best we have. He studied extensively the powers granted by vile deeds and assessed their price and effect. Some he performed himself, those that take no personal and permanent sacrifice, others he studied in theory. After he finished his book he went to perform the more vile and costly rituals and spells as well to truly complete his work, but he descended into madness, the remaining manuscript is just indecipherable ramblings.
You won't find a list of sources inside. He worked from personal experience and trustworthy testimony, even seeking out ancient dragons to learn what they remember of the distant past. It is a book I don't part with lightly for it holds knowledge not meant for man."

Oldover House

"Certainly. Just leave a letter at the reception and if your news sound worthwhile we'll arrange another meeting."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-01, 03:12 AM
The Halls of Mystery

Mirielle's widen at Wylam's description of Daranax. "That is possibly the most spectacularly insane research method I've heard of," she says. After a moment of thought she corrects herself. "No, wait, that would be trying to commune with Cyric. I suppose we should thank Daranax's soul for the sacrifice, if it remained after his experiments."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 04:26 AM
The Halls of Mystery

"Which part, negotiating with wyrms or sacrificing innocents not for the power it grants, but just to verify the effects?" He smiles without humor. "But it is worth noting he could never use the same ritual Amazairyl benefited from. It was already under the Interdict at that point."

Religion or History might tell you what that is

Sallera
2013-02-01, 12:27 PM
The Halls of Mystery

Aya smiles rather distantly at the description, as though recalling a fond memory. "That is a remarkable dedication. Quite admirable, to get that far before losing himself. Is yours the original? I would hope there wouldn't be too many copies floating around, anyway."

Frog Dragon
2013-02-01, 02:10 PM
Gowntown, Next Morning

Black Sorrow. Stavra Larshon. The Thayans. The prison ships were a most curious element of the puzzle. How had the Loviatans gained authority over such? And why had they done so at sea? A ship offered an easy way to maintain security. The only escape was at the bottom of the sea. But that left the 'how'. There were too many sailors in Ravens Bluff for them not to have been taught the fear. The Fire River could be treacherous, he had seen it himself.

Umberlee had to be here. And the Loviatans, setting up shop, using the very domain of the Bitch Queen as their penitentiary, her storms as their deterrent. It seemed likely that the Umberlants were either involved, or would gladly see it burn.

He was in the priestly quarters of town, but Umberlants had always preferred the shore and the harbors. Jorran knew their customs, at least the basics. Maybe their priestesses would be helpful. Maybe they'd know who had made this happen.

With that on his mind, Jorran leaves for the harbor, looking for any markers of an Umberlant shrine.

Not sure if I need a knowledge check to recognize a shrine, but if I do.
[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-02-01, 07:42 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"No, it is a copy made over twohundred years later. But it is a good transcription in the original Draconic, the translations lose many details, and the illustrations are by a competent hand as well. I hear the original is still supposed to exist, but my attempts to find the owner proved fruitless."

Harbor District

On his tour Jorran's eyes notice nothing that might be a shrine to Umberlee. Either it isn't around here, or it is made in a way not recognizable by him.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-01, 11:33 PM
the Halls of Mystery

Mirielle holds up a hand in a plea to back the conversation up a step. "I'm sorry," she says, "but what is the Interdict? I haven't heard of it before, though it sound like something I ought to have."

rypt
2013-02-02, 12:08 AM
Torchtown/Market District

From Oldover House, Cael begins to make his way back to Silverscales, stopping first for some dinner, some music, and a strong drink. Again, he makes a point of routing himself past Ravendark Castle, only this time, he passes the castle on the opposite side from before, using the same spell to refine his approximation of the location of Liara's cell. Upon returning to his room, he makes note of these distances on the map he had begun that morning before turning in for the night.

He rises with the sun the following day, and after slipping the map into the hidden compartment in the heel of his left boot, heads down to the common room for breakfast. On his way out, he makes sure to check with the barkeep for any messages.

Although he is eager for the sum of coin that would come with his afternoon meeting with Aya, he knows he will need more and recognizes that he should not rely solely on the curious Mystran for subsequent work. With this in mind, he decides to explore the city's northern neighborhoods, heading first to Torchtown and then to the Market district in search of any potential employment opportunities.

Gather Information: [roll0]

He'll be keeping an eye out for any job boards or businesses that seem like they may have one inside.

And for future reference, is Liara being held in the northern or southern section of the castle?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-02, 02:20 AM
The Halls of Mystery

"A measure of the gods to limit the access to certain magics. Thousands of years ago, mages developed and gods granted increasingly potent and costly spells, an arms race that might have shattered the world with the ever more easily available power." He takes off his glasses and wipes them with a handkerchief. "The Interdict of the Written Word, or sometimes the Lesser Interdict, prevents a spell, ritual or power to be passed on in written form. Any such attempt just produces incomprehensible gibberish. The Interdict of the Spoken Word, or True Interdict, prevents it from being passed on at all. The knowledge of these magics dies with those who developed them."

The job offers in market mainly center on private guardsmen for night duty, paid one gold piece per shift. One of the groups of performers is also interested in a skilled illusionist to enhance their performances, offering one gold piece for each hour some visual illusions are provided. Most other things are menial labor like cleaning and moving wares for small pay, and the Longbottle noble family offers a 'decent' reward for anyone who can track down some of their lost family heirlooms.

Northern part is City Hall. South is army barracks and Central Office of the Watch.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-02, 11:29 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"I am glad the gods were able to unite to impose the Interdict, then," Mirielle says with a touch of antitheistic irony in her voice. "It may make our job easier, at least, since it at least narrows down the means that the current abuser of our ritual might have learned of it. I suppose it's too much to hope that it is under the True Inderdict."

Out of curiosity, is [roll0] (history) or [roll1] (arcana) high enough to know of Karsus's folly? And if so, is there a name for the various changes the new Mystra made to magic?

rypt
2013-02-03, 02:39 PM

Interested, at the very least, to hear what one of the Bluff's noble families considers to be a "decent" sum of coin, Cael heads for House Longbottle to see if his knowledge of divination may be of any service to their missing heirlooms.

Sallera
2013-02-03, 06:50 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"Hmmm, so innovation is the only road left to the highest levels of power. An interesting choice... it both forces and limits responsibility. Anything you create on that scale is truly yours, and you are to blame for all of its effects; at the same time, you don't need to worry about anyone else putting it to different uses, unless you instruct them directly, in which case you're still responsible... am I getting that right?"

Aya looks contemplative for a while, glancing at Wylam after Mirielle's comment. "Is it? A ritual that grand sounds like exactly the sort of thing you'd want to remove from use, especially if it's a group effort and doesn't require a ridiculous level of personal power."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-03, 09:12 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"The Soulforging grants great power, but it has high requirements and is defensive in nature. As such, it is only under the Interdict of the Written Word. Still, the ritual is lost, as those few able to perform it were killed before passing it on.

You're right in a way Aya, but what you need to understand is the True Interdict is less about raw power than power at too cheap a price. There was a rather simple spell that might have been within your own capabilities Mirielle, able to bring down mighty dragons with a simple touch. That is what it takes for the True Interdict to be imposed."

His voice retains its usual calm and soothing tone, but still his eyes show he is troubled by his findings.

Longbottle residence

This building in the Altarside neighborhood is less pompous than one might expect from a noble family, a decent but unremarkable two-story structure, and the reasons to that become clearer once Cael had a short talk with the Baron's manservant. The Longbottle family was believed extinct for decades, but in his work as former Regent of the Harbor the current Lord found evidence to his noble heritage, and a bit less than a year ago the Council of Lords accepted him as of the true blood and bestowed the lost title on him.
But in all those years the old lands and family heirlooms of the Longbottle name passed into other hands, and now the new Lord is determined to reacquire them. He offers to pay beyond the nominal value on any such piece, though he only has vague descriptions of most items from those who remember them. The most treasured heirloom is his family's ancestral sword, a blade of green steel with draconic runes etched into one side and the family motto, 'Vigilant in our providence', into the other. For this weapon he is prepared to pay 5000 gold pieces.

Sallera
2013-02-03, 09:49 PM
The Halls of Mystery

Aya nods slowly. "Ah, I think I understand. So even the greatest of workings can still be passed on, but only to those who are worthy of them. And those who overreach are overruled."

"Still, it helps that one way or another, we know Amazairyl's ritual can't have been repeated recently. Nice to know that all this work investigating her history is going to be worth it."

Shivering Touch being under the True Interdict is brilliant. :smallbiggrin:

Jeff the Green
2013-02-04, 03:01 AM
The Halls of Mystery

"Perhaps not as helpful as that," Mirielle interjects. "If it is possible to learn it through the spoken word—or indeed, any non-written mode of communication—it merely limits the breadth of the dissemination, not necessarily how long it might be passed down. If one were to call Amazairyl from the Abyss and offer her suitable compensation, one might learn it from her lips. Or some sort of cult or series of masters and apprentices might have passed it down. Or, if I do not mistake Wylam's meaning, any texts from before the interdict might still have directions. It makes our task less difficult, yes, but not easy."

Mirielle takes off her glasses and rubs the bridge of her nose. She'd not spent enough time ensconced in the library to tell how close she was to her quarry, and prior to leaving the cloister she engaged in projects that took weeks or months of dedicated searching, but the subject matter of this hunt made her more anxious to reach its conclusion and less hopeful of a swift resolution.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 04:30 AM
The Halls of Mystery

"A good assessment Aya. Ever pondered going into philosophy?" His smile is bleak, but honest. "I have some books that may be to your liking.

Luckily Mirielle the gods were as observant as you. Knowledge under the Interdict can't cross the planes. It resides in whichever realm the soul of its owner is. If she is just summoned from the beyond we have nothing to fear in that regard. But if her soul was truly bound to some place in our world..." He pauses, looking into the distance. "She wasn't the performer of the ritual, so she might not know all the secrets. But perhaps enough for a clever mind to figure out the rest of it." He mirrors Mirielle's nosepinching in a sympathetic urge, then puts his glasses back on.

Sallera
2013-02-04, 04:18 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"Mm, breadth of knowledge rather than depth has always been my focus. I spend a lot of time working from little pieces, so I've tried to learn how to expand on them. I haven't had much time for reading lately, but... I think I would be interested in your books, thank you."

Aya studies the cover of the book in her hands blankly for a moment, then shakes her head. "It's another potential motive to keep in mind. If there is some sort of external power source or interference required to engender her temporary release, then perhaps the one or ones providing it have her knowledge as their goal."

rypt
2013-02-04, 04:26 PM
Not entirely sure how to present them, but a few questions Cael would have had for the Baron's manservant:
Where were the family's "old lands" located?
Is it known who last possessed the sword?
If not who, is it known when the sword was last in the possession of a member of the Longbottle family?

Frog Dragon
2013-02-04, 05:05 PM
Harbor District

After a while of walking around, Jorran is beginning to concede defeat. Though it was strange. No Umberlant shrines whatsoever? The church had always been disorganized, perhaps they didn't mark themselves like they did in Luskan. Luskan was far friendlier to Umberlants than Ravens Bluff seemed to be anyway.

Finding the Umberlants was a dead end. But maybe he could find someone else who knew more about the prison ships. There were criminals in every city, and they tended to congregate. How many were there who could be put to death? Quite many, surely. How many were there that had actually been given a death sentence? Less, but still many. And that left many who had had a colleague sent to the ships. Perhaps even some that had escaped and were still in the city, though those were likely to be rarer.

Black Sorrow knew his face, and he might have had lackeys who knew his face too. That had to change. If he asked around with his own face, Black Sorrow might catch wind, but if it was just another criminal nobody... no-one would care.

He steps into a side-alley and flips his cloak, now clad in brown rather than gray. He starts walking in the direction of the market. He needed some shaving supplies, a headband, something to recolor his face, and perhaps hide the more obvious wrinkles. Then he would no longer match whatever description of him Black Sorrow had.

Market --> Gowntown

Returning from his little trip, Jorran sets to his little makeover. He shaves of the beard that had been stealthily advancing across his face for the last few months. He doubles his hair over under the headband, while leaving the headband unseen. Then he sets to dispelling the northerner. Finally, he leaves for the Shadystreets, having nailed that district as the most likely to contain the scum of society.

Buying a disguise kit (essentially, the whole kit thing seems like a bit of an abstraction.)
Disguising as an indeterminate not-Jorran: [roll0]
I'm guessing there's another +5 on top of that for "minor details only", as he's only trying to make it so that he doesn't quite match what someone looking for his face would expect to find.

And trying to find a fistfighting arena (Shadystreets sounded likely) or some such.
Knowledge (local): [roll1] - To know of where such a place might be found.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-04, 09:06 PM
The Halls of Mystery

"I'll leave a book or two for you later then. If you both excuse me, I have some business at the High House to attend to. Oh, Rika sends her apologies for her behaviour at the revel."

Cael
They had an estate NE of the city that was appropriated by the city during the war to serve as fortification. It was badly damaged and Longbottle reacquired it, currently working on extensive repairs.
They had farmland N and NE that passed into other hands, most of it to the Leorduin and Hawkdragon families.

The sword was reportedly last used in a duel that killed the last Longbottle heir(leaving his father childless). There are conflicting reports whether the opposing fighter(the current Lord Hawkynfleur) or Longbottle's own second took the sword afterwards.

The duel was 34 years ago. The Longbottles wiped out 31 years ago.

Jorran
You already know about the fighting ring in Seaman's Death from your Clue Cards. You've actually seen it, it was the blue circle on the ground.

rypt
2013-02-05, 04:37 PM
Longbottle residence

Cael nods, taking a moment to commit this information to memory before continuing with his line of questioning. "And the second, do we know his name?"

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 05:00 PM
Longbottle residence

"I am afraid not sir. The late heir liked to associate with people of common birth, and the second was one of these friends. His father might have known, but he perished as well and after thirty years no one we asked could even hazard a guess."

rypt
2013-02-05, 05:20 PM
Longbottle residence

"I see. And the duel was held here in the city? I imagine the contest would have drawn quite an audience. Perhaps there remains a written account, an archive of the local history or a simple public record?" Thinking aloud to himself as much as he is speaking to the manservant, he adds with a soured expression, "maybe even a personal journal or a diary..." He shakes his head, clearly considering these to be a last resort.

Sallera
2013-02-05, 06:45 PM
The Halls of Mystery

Aya smiles slightly, watching Wylam leave, then sets back to work studying histories. As lunchtime approaches, she looks to Mirielle expectantly. "Shall we leave off for now? We've got other things to take care of."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-05, 09:44 PM
Longbottle residence

"I am afraid you lack familiarity with the local duelling tradition", the old man says, raising an eyebrow. "They are a private affair. Just the duellants, their seconds, maybe a lady if she is the item of the dispute, which was not the case here. The duel was fought as is usual in the DeVillars Park come nightfall. An obituary and certificate of death is certainly around somewhere, and if he had a journal that item would likewise be lost and something the Lord is interested in seeing return."

rypt
2013-02-06, 01:38 AM
Longbottle residence

"I am afraid you're right," Cael smiles apologetically. "Am I to understand then, that such contests are not uncommon? And may I ask: if not for a lady's honor, what was the nature of the dispute between Lord Longbottle and Lord Hawkynfleur?"

TheFallenOne
2013-02-06, 10:40 PM
Longbottle residence

"Reportedly some sort of insult was given to Lord Hawkynfleur and he issued the challenge. The details elude me, his Lordship and I work on recovering the family history but with thirty years in between it is a slow process. And the duelling practice was outlawed, I think some ten or fifteen years ago?"

Seaman's Death

At this early hour, barely above half a dozen people are in attendance, a group of four playing dice, some others nursing a hangover with bread and water. The blue circle on the ground evidently saw use last night, judging from the traces of dried blood in some places.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-07, 02:50 AM
The Halls of Mystery -> The Raven's Glory

Mirielle jots down the book and page she'd stopped at in her notes and begins clearing away the clutter they'd produced. "Yes, let's head out. Jorran and Alaister will be waiting for us, I think."

At the restaurant Mirielle is silent until food is ordered, at which point she begins her story with no prologue. "Last night Aya, Jorran, and I went to Pumpside to investigate an apartment fire that Misti had written to me about. A few people were one injured and a-a man named Aldar the Rashemi was killed. Aldar was a friend of my family and a good man. He was the one, in fact, that first suggested I visit Misti. He also suggested a, well, a disturbing possibility.

"When I was in my twenties a young man asked me to marry him. I accepted, and my parents held a party to celebrate. I was about to come down the stairs to the party when I smelled smoke and heard screams from downstairs. I tried to get down the stairs but couldn't, and so I broke a window and jumped out.

"I landed poorly and broke a few bones and struck my head, but I was told later that the doors had been stuck shut, and no one escaped. My family, my fiancé, and his family all died in the fire.

"Aldar suggested that Cybrarvain might have been responsible for the fire, though that was nearly a decade ago. I had never considered the possibility, but it certainly fits. If he thought I knew something that might condemn him for my family's and family-to-be's murders, he may have burnt down my library to try to kill me."

Mirielle sighs. It's been long enough since her family and beloved perished that no tears come to her eyes, but her stomach still feels leaden after recalling the story.

Sallera
2013-02-08, 12:53 AM
The Raven's Glory

"It fits with what I've been thinking about him," Aya says, looking pensive. "But it's still pretty unusual. If he saw you jump, or afterward, and thought you dead, though... depending on how you spent the next ten years, that just might be plausible. Even if it was him, though, I feel like eliminating a witness is a pretty weak motive for the second fire. After that long, either you'd have already spread any information he feared, or you'd have long ago decided it wasn't worth the risk. Maybe he just doesn't like the idea of someone escaping him."

"Yesterday's information, though... I think I can see what he's doing." More confident now, she continues. "I figure he's really quite good at killing people who can't defend themselves. Setting up the scene, getting the target where they can't escape, finishing them off without leaving any evidence of his involvement. But you're ready for him. And you're quite capable of defending yourself. He wants you dead, but he's not sure what to do about it. He's out of his depth, so he's reaching. Trying different things. Threats, emotional attacks, going after your ties... he's hoping you'll try too hard to stop him and give him some sort of opening, because without one, he's never going to reach you."

Aya sighs, flicking away an invisible fly. "Problem is, if we don't stop him, this'll get annoying pretty quick, or more than. We've got too many other things we don't want him interfering with. So, Miri, if you were going after... yourself, where would you go next? What's the next item on the list - that you'd value, and that he'd know about?"

Jeff the Green
2013-02-08, 05:12 PM
The Raven's Glory

Mirielle smiles bitterly. "I assume you mean were I a psychopathic arsonist? I don't know. Aldar was the only person from my old life that I was in contact with in the Dragon Reach, there's very little my church has in the city, and the only people I've spent much time around are the three of you, Keeva, and Magnus. I suppose he could try to kill one of you, or Keeva, but I think he might find that difficult, and I doubt he knows whether I have any emotional attachment to you or not.

"Though, that does remind me. I ran into Vandroy the other day—you remember, the Mage that greeted us our first day here—and went to lunch with him. While I was there I received a note via courier that said only 'Soon.' I can't imagine who else it might have been from, and given Vandroy's predisposition for fire magic, Cybrarvain may have been trying to send up false flags. If so, it was very clumsy."

Sallera
2013-02-08, 07:37 PM
The Raven's Glory

"Maybe. It does rather sound like it was meant to seem too obvious to be coincidence, force you to split your attention even if you didn't really believe it. Still odd, though; I can't really place it."

"People aside, though, what about things, or places? Psychopathic arsonists don't restrict themselves to living targets, even if they are assassins."

rypt
2013-02-09, 03:59 AM
Longbottle residence

"Understandably so. I only ask because it seems all but inevitable that at some point I will require information that only Lord Hawkynfleur can provide. Whether it be his account of the duel, the identity of his second, or something yet unknown, can I expect him to be cooperative or even credible in such matters?"

TheFallenOne
2013-02-09, 11:33 AM
Longbottle residence

"It is not my place to speak ill of a highborn Lord." His voice makes it clear this topic is not up for discussion. "Should you wish to discuss matters with him, I hear he is easiest to approach when one shares his love for and skill at hunting."

You should finish up here and meet Aya

rypt
2013-02-10, 05:00 PM
Longbottle residence

Cael nods his acknowledgement and does not press the matter any further, the manservant's non-answer seemingly an answer in and of itself.

"Well I think you have given me all that I need to begin my search," he says, rising to his feet. "I thank you for your time and for your insight. I will be sure to keep you and your lord apprised of any developments."

Departing the Longbottle Residence, Cael heads straight for the Raven's Glory, stopping only to grab lunch from a street vendor on the way. If Aya is not already waiting outside, he finds a shaded area by the door to wait for her.

Sallera
2013-02-10, 10:36 PM
The Raven's Glory (afternoon)

Aya arrives shortly after one, nodding when she spots Alhruar. "Good to see you again. Let's get to work; I've got something else for you once we're finished."

Once the mapping is finished, Aya nods decisively, carefully rolling up the map and stowing it away. Taking a small pouch of coin she'd counted out earlier, she spins it around a few times before holding it out. "One-sixty, as promised. Thanks for your help. But I believe I promised you a chance for more work, and as I thought, something appropriate has come up."

Glancing around to ensure no one is in the immediate vicinity, Aya lowers her voice a little. "Might you be interested in a chance to correct a rather nasty abuse of power here in town, and get paid for it in the bargain?"

Frog Dragon
2013-02-11, 04:02 PM
Seaman's Death

Jorran cursed himself internally for his timing. Of course places like this would be mostly empty at this time. He had been out of Luskan for so long, he was losing his touch. Nevertheless, the ones that were here... probably regulars, might know something.

He shoots a meaningful look at the bloodied fighting ring. "Who fights here?" he asks. "Is there anyone here to look out for? Anyone who has done serious time?" He continues, as if challenging the criminal cred of the place.

The Raven's Glory

Jorran taps his fingers on the table, listening. Cybrarvain certainly seemed like a strange character. Who was his criminality benefiting? No-one? That was no-way to break the law. "Can we even expect any predictability from this guy?" Jorran asks. "Honestly, if I were him, I'd be long gone at this point. Aya's right. He can't be trying to silence you, he's several years late for that. I get the feeling this Cybrarvain doesn't value his hide too highly."

rypt
2013-02-11, 11:25 PM

Cael's eyes immediately register Aya's offer, but for a moment, his expression remains impassive. Mirroring her secretive glances in a slightly exaggerated fashion, he leans forward, and in a hushed tone says, "almost certainly," before breaking into a broad smile.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 02:14 AM
Seaman's Death

"Who fights here? Whoever feels like it", one of the players says in a bored tone. "Once a month there's a proper competition, other times it's just two blokes going at each other for the fun, glory and however much they cared to bet. You want a go, come by when it's dark out. No spoilers on the contestants. The surprises are more enjoyable." He gives a crooked smile, showing surprisingly good teeth.

The Raven's Glory

"I don't know why he is still here", Alaister interjects. "But given my lack of success I am sure he is using a different name here, perhaps even a different face. Whatever he is after, it almost certainly involves further deaths. Three strikes connected to Mirielle are too much of a coincidence. Though perhaps this Aldar set out on his own in pursuit of Cybrarvein and got too close for comfort and was thus removed. Unlikely, given our own limited results, but a possibility to be considered."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-12, 04:24 AM
The Raven's Glory

Mirielle nods at Alaister. "Aldar may have done so. It's been a good many years since I've spoken to him, so I can't say whether he was likely to have, but if he did, he would have had the advantages of wealth and contacts in the city. And he apparently asked his solicitor to send me something on his death, so we may find out whether he learned something that sent Cybrarvain after him.

"I'm afraid I'd don't have any other ideas about what Cybrarvain might do to come after me, though. I'd be irritated if the library at the Halls of Mystery were to be burnt down, but only in a professional way, and it would be a greater challenge than simply killing me. Other than that, there's only my apartment."

Sallera
2013-02-12, 04:28 PM

Aya grins. "Good, because we could use your help. The individual in question is Stavra Larshon, captain of the local prison ships; a Loviatarite, she's been practicing the torturous arts on their denizens, and sentenced to death though they may be, this doesn't sit well with those who have found out. It seems the law is either unwilling or unable to act against her at the moment, so some anonymous citizens have put together a fund and a quiet request to see her removed from her position. My confederates and I have taken that up, and your particular skills should be quite useful in resolving the matter."

"If that doesn't put you off, I'd like to introduce you to the others tonight; we've already gone through a fair bit of planning and discussion, so we can explain more thoroughly and clarify your role then."

The Raven's Glory (noon)

"Sleep lightly and keep resistances in mind, then, I guess." Aya frowns; this was starting to seem like another dead end.

"I hope Aldar does have something useful for you; I don't know enough about Cybrarvain's actions so far to even make a guess at his true motive, and little more than that seems like it will be helpful at this point."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-12, 05:03 PM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"You seem very convinced he'd use fire again. He seems to favour it from what I learned of his actions here or elsewhere, but he has other means as well. There was an orphaned maidservant who'd fallen hopelessly in love with the son of a minor noble family, though to him she was just a pleasurable pastime. He took his time, learning all he could about both of them. He doesn't act rashly it seems, he realizes the power knowledge and information gives you about people it pertains to. Two weeks later, both were found dead. The official conclusion was she killed him, then committed suicide. I don't know how, but I'm sure the deed happened by his machinations."

rypt
2013-02-13, 01:44 PM

Cael grimaces and shakes his head at Aya's account of Larshon's practices. "Put off? No, not quite. But I do have some questions. I suppose it would be best to present them to the entire group? When and where will you be meeting?"

Sallera
2013-02-13, 02:07 PM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"Fire's easy, effective, and doesn't leave much evidence; it only makes sense to keep it in mind. He'll probably have to use other methods if he comes after one of us directly, yes, but I'm thinking he's not quite ready to do that yet." Aya shakes her head. "I don't suppose you know why he went after that pair? Just paid work?"

"By the way, Miri, are you free for another meeting tonight? The rest of you, as well; assuming I can get Alhruar interested in the Larshon job, we'll need to get him in the know and working."

Aya nods, taking out a scrap of parchment with scribbled directions. "We usually meet at the apartment of my friend Mirielle, here, an hour or so past sundown."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-14, 04:40 AM
The Raven's Glory

Mirielle glances at Aya questioningly. "A meeting with Alhruar? I was planning on looking for anything else I might find about Larshon, but that can be interrupted or postponed."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-14, 07:43 AM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"I don't know why he targetted them Aya. But the heir of a noble family almost unavoidably has people who'd be happy to see him go. Far as I can tell though he looked into the girl first, so maybe the affair was unwelcome to his client."

Sallera
2013-02-14, 11:11 AM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

Aya nods. "Better to have him help you, then, right? He is a diviner. The usual hour?"

"Yeah, that's the problem with contract work," she says with a sigh. "When you already know someone has no scruples, it's hard to get anything out of it but methods."

rypt
2013-02-14, 10:27 PM

Cael looks the directions over briefly. "I'll be there," he nods as he slips the parchment into his pocket. "Now, might I interest you in the opportunity to help me?

"Just this morning, I learned of a Lord Longbottle who is looking recover a lost relic of his family -- a sword that went missing after a duel some thirty-odd years ago. He's offering a substantial reward for its recovery, and while it is my hope that I'll be able to divine its location, in a city of this size, I need to know where to start.

"It so happens that the winner of that duel, and one of the few people who might have some idea of what happened to the sword, is another nobleman -- a Lord Hawkynfleur. As of this moment, I know very little about Lord Hawkynfleur, but I got the impression from the Longbottle steward that he may not be the most approachable of men. What I do know, however, is that Lord Hawkynfleur is an avid hunter, and that he posses a certain affinity for other hunters.

"Naturally," he grins, "I thought of you.

"If you would be willing to speak with Lord Hawkynfleur on my behalf, and were I ultimately able to recover the sword as a result, I would be happy to share the reward."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-15, 04:40 AM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"That's fine," Mirielle replies. "And speaking of researching our enemies, Alaister, did you have any luck following Vandroy?"

TheFallenOne
2013-02-15, 05:47 AM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"Well, I could confirm he stays at a place called Flagon o' Flames in Bitterstone, and who his associates are. A Dwarven priest of Moradin, a halfelf and a human woman from Calimshan. They seem a rather random bunch, before Vandroy joined their group they caused a huge brawl when they for some reason went to the Ill Eagle, a gathering place for human racists. Even killed the eponymous talking eagle in the process and got the place permanently locked down by the Watch. I heard a mage also talk of a budding romance between the woman and one of their Deans, who to my astonishment seems to be a drow."

Sallera
2013-02-15, 06:04 PM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

"Half-drow," Aya corrects absently, "unless there's another in there. Didn't know he was that sort, though..."

Aya giggles, shaking her head. "'Hunting' is a kind word for what I do, and I don't have enough station here to warrant an audience with a highborn lord upon request. But if you give me a few of those plats back, I could probably secure a suitable gift... enough to get me inside, at least. It would likely take several days, though, especially with my other jobs to worry about. And of course, I'd need some more detail on the weapon in question."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-16, 08:00 AM
The Raven's Glory (noon)

Alaister raises an eyebrow, surprised to find Aya better informed on the matter. "I see. Well, from what I saw of the guy I rather doubt any connection to Cybrarvein. His quirks seem rather genuine."

something else to say here before adjourning to the whole-party meeting?

rypt
2013-02-16, 03:26 PM

"The steward described the sword as a blade of green steel etched with draconic runes on one side and the Longbottle's motto, 'Vigilant in our providence', on the other. I'm hoping a blacksmith can tell me more about the metal, as I should be able to locate the sword on the basis of its material composition." With a quiet sigh, he removes the pouch of coin he had only just pocketed and begins to count out coins. "Three platinum? Four? The sooner you are able to speak with Lord Hawkynfleur the better. It's possible that there are other people searching for the sword already."

Sallera
2013-02-16, 08:55 PM

"Four, and I'll try to make it a priority. If that's all, let's meet again tonight."

I'm good to move on. Everyone else?

Aya will fill the intervening time with a bit of information gathering.
Gather Information: [roll0] - on any known haunts of unusual (read: magical) beasts in the surrounding area; ideally, some that would make a good trophy

Jeff the Green
2013-02-17, 07:37 AM
Mirielle's Apartment

After her discovery, Mirielle heads home and performs her nightly devotions, spending an extra few minutes praying that Aldar's soul might safely reach the Fugue Plane and be swiftly collected by his god's servants.

As her colleagues arrive, she welcomes them and offers them wine, as usual, but begs off any serious discussion until everyone has arrived.

Sallera
2013-02-17, 10:50 PM
Mirielle's

"Well, this was my idea, so it's up to me to start us off, isn't it?" Aya says with a grin once everyone is gathered. "First, introductions. Alhruar, this is Mirielle Greyhome, servant of Kelemvor and expert archivist. Jorran Tolm, a blade artist with good connections. Alaister, the well-informed man with the inconstant face. Mirelle, Jorran, Alaister, this is Alhruar Elyrin, diviner, security advisor, and part-time arcane cartographer. Also, as I mentioned, our new associate. Alhruar, you said you had some more questions about the job; would you like to start with those before we explain our current plan?"

rypt
2013-02-18, 01:57 AM
Mirielle's Apartment

"Yes, thank you," Cael begins, turning with a nod from Aya to each of those she introduced. "And good evening to you all. It's a pleasure to meet you.

"I guess my first question would have to be, given this anonymous request, has anyone verified the allegations of Larshon's maleficence? And do you trust these concerned citizens to deliver on their reward?

"My next question would be, do you intend to kill Larshon? What of her subordinates and those she holds captive?"

What exactly are the prison ships used for? This may be a question for Cael to ask, but it seems like something that may be commonly known. Are they for transporting prisoners (it's hard to imagine the city extraditing so many convicts as to require an entire fleet), or are they a means of accommodating a growing number of inmates without building an actual prison?

Sallera
2013-02-18, 12:42 PM
Mirielle's

"Well, to the first, a trusted intermediary handled the initial information and is taking care of the payment, so that much is secure." Aya grins. "Actually, I think you're familiar with Misti Marva, aren't you? Saw you down there last time I visited."

"To the second, no; at least, not yet. We intend to capture her, and then do our best to determine whether the law is in her pocket or somehow unaware of her activities, although we assume the latter is unlikely, given the posting of this job at all. Should it prove necessary to remove her, then we will. As for her subordinates, once their leader is replaced - presumably with a non-Loviatarite - any who aided her in her activities will no longer have free rein to continue them. The prisoners themselves are already sentenced to death by hard labour; they're no concern of ours beyond their current treatment."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 05:16 AM
Mirielle's Apartment

"And speaking of capturing and holding," Mirielle interjects, "we should probably discuss how we're going to accomplish that. Turns out she works with either the Power or the Art; I'd guess the former, but my sources weren't sure. Once we have her subdued, I have manacles and we can restrict her ability to use her spells by taking away her holy symbol and any other instruments she might need, but it's still something we'll need to consider.

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 12:56 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Alaister sighs deeply, rubbing his temples. "I guess if I am already identified as a man of many faces I might as well reveal I already met this fellow, when he walked in on me while I was talking to Misti. Call it a token of trust, Mister Alrhuar.
As for Larshon, I really don't see how keeping her alive is supposed to work out. If the law had a suitable handle on her we wouldn't have to stoop to a direct assault. And unless we catch them red-handed performing human sacrifice in their meeting that won't change. So I think it might be best to just kill her in combat. We incur way less risk that way, plus some of you might have... sensibilities about killing a prisoner, be it deserved or not." He gives Mirielle a critical look at this.

rypt
2013-02-19, 04:56 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Cael looks to Alaister with a scrutinizing eye, and after a moment of thought, seems to put the pieces together. "Yesterday, midday? A cup of tea? That was just before I ran into you," he says, turning to Aya. Raising a suggestive eyebrow, he grins. "Small world."

With Alaister and Mirielle clearly having differing opinions on how to handle Larshon, and with Aya's opinion seeming to fall somewhere in the middle, Cael wonders how much of a plan they really have.

"Whether to kill or to capture, I take it that you intend to confront her aboard one of the prison ships? The potential problem I see with engaging her in combat -- and the reason I asked about her subordinates -- is that the attack would have to be carefully timed and precisely executed. Should the other guards come to her defense, you may find yourselves having to kill or disable the ship's entire crew. I would not want to leave dozens of murderers, thieves and worse with none to guard them."

Sallera
2013-02-19, 05:36 PM
Mirielle's

"Oh, don't worry, we've got better than that. No suicide assaults for our type." Aya grins, waving a hand. "She meets with her fellow Loviatar cultists - including the Black Sorrow, a fellow who's been assaulting people for information around town - outside the city every twelve days. The next window is the day after tomorrow, so that's the one we're aiming for. Sorrow's a slippery one, and happens to be another miscreant we'd like to take care of, so we're planning on dealing with him at the same time - or even better, after he leaves the protection of the city, but before he reaches the meeting."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-19, 10:04 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Mirielle nearly chokes on her wine at Alhruar's assumption. If that was the sort of thought that came naturally to him, no wonder the Shooting Stars might be concerned about his interest in something of the Watch's. If he did it right—and a practitioner of the Art certainly might be able to—it could be disastrous, depending on his target. If he did it wrong, well, the phrase "full frontal assault" is rarely preceeded by the word "bloodless."

"Ah, and here's what we know about that one," Mirielle says in a thoroughly scholastic tone, ticking off facts on her fingers. "Black sorrow is a monk and a Disciple of the White Rod. It's entirely possible that Larshon is his superior. He is also apparently working for the Thayans and interested in some strange folks Aya, Jorran, two other erstwhile companions, and I encountered our first morning here. His is technically an assassin, but his jobs are more often about recovering information than taking life. He is living in the house a fellow Loviatarite owns in town.

"And he has, well, unusual powers for a monk: he can disappear and possibly teleport, and I didn't recognize anything like a spell in that. He's also strong enough to best Jorran one-on-one, but from what I understand only barely. How did the fight go, Jorran? I don't think you ever told us."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-19, 11:43 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

"These abilities will make it difficult to get him in an ambush on the road, unless we overwhelm him right away he can just disappear. Maybe we can speculate on him standing his ground when he's with his fellow Loviatans. A fight in a confined space would help as well. But I must confess I'm not sure whether they meet in a building or in the open."

Sallera
2013-02-20, 11:24 AM
Mirielle's

Aya shrugs. "It depends on the terrain. We'll want to scout out the area ahead of time, of course, but if there's a sufficiently open space, he won't be able to get far enough to evade us."

Frog Dragon
2013-02-20, 04:40 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Black Sorrow... he took me by surprise, and managed to keep throwing me down to the ground. He kept going even though I cut him twice, and once he vanished into thin air before my blade. Finally, he tired me out, and managed to knock me out before I could escape to the busier streets. When we face him, we'll have to be careful he doesn't escape.

rypt
2013-02-20, 05:36 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Leaning back in his chair, Cael nods thoughtfully along with Aya's description of the Loviatarite gathering and the group's plan to ambush this Black Sorrow character on his way to the meeting. He listens to Mirielle's discussion of the monk in much the same manner, that is, at least, until she mentions his allegiance.

"I'm sorry," Cael says, suddenly leaning forward. "Did you say he's working for the Thayans?" Though he maintains his composure, there is a subtly urgent edge to his voice, and his previously genial expression is now one of bewilderment. "What do the Red Wizards have to do with any of this? What kind of information has he been recovering?"

Jeff the Green
2013-02-21, 12:55 AM
Mirielle's Apartment

"I'm not sure," Mirielle says with a cοcked eyebrow. "And it's second-hand information at that, so it might be a bit unreliable.

"If you think it's important, we might be able to find out after we eliminate Black Sorrow, but, given the abilities that he's shown so far and the fact he's remained active enough to have the reputation he does, keeping him hostage—even giving him to the watch—is probably impossible." She turns to Alaister. "This is one instance where I am happy to decide that temporal law is unable to act, and I am willing to take his death on my head."

TheFallenOne
2013-02-21, 01:16 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

"I'm glad to hear you are willing to part with that naive chivalry in the face of necessity. Well then, what preparations do we need to make?"

Sallera
2013-02-21, 02:19 PM
Mirielle's

"I'll take the area to the north tomorrow," Aya volunteers. "I'll get a rough map with magic, check out any likely spots they might be using for the meeting, and see if I can find us a good ambush spot. Alhruar, I don't suppose you've got anything to stop someone from teleporting, or at least from going invisible?"

rypt
2013-02-22, 08:54 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

Cael frowns slightly at Mirielle's answer, his eyes lingering on the cleric for a moment even as he turns to press the matter with Jorran. "What was he after when he attacked you, then? Not your life, apparently."

"I cannot prohibit them from casting the proper spells," he says to Aya, "but I can certainly make it more difficult. If they still manage to teleport, well, that's the end of it, but if someone completes the casting of an invisibility spell, I will have the ability to see them."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-23, 05:58 PM
Mirielle's Apartment

"I can suppress any invisibility spells if I'm close enough," Mirielle adds, "but the spell to do so is a difficult working and would sap my reserves. Still, if you think it's worth it, I can request the spell from Kelemvor. I'll also be ready to call on that blast of celestial crystals I used to blind the goblins at the dam. That should cause a bit of chaos, and possibly make it so Black Sorrow doesn't know where to teleport. After that I'll be quite tired, though, I and won't be much use in close combat.

"Tomorrow I'll be making one last set of inquiries about Larshon and her associates, and purchasing a few things I might need. If there's anything any of you want, I can pick it up as well."

Sallera
2013-02-23, 11:43 PM
Mirielle's

"I have everything I should need. It sounds like a good idea to keep both counters to his invisibility on hand - we don't want to let this chance go. Alhruar, you can help Mirielle tomorrow with your divinations, I hope? Unless you have preparations of your own you need to make?"

TheFallenOne
2013-02-27, 08:43 PM
19th of Marpenoth

It is early evening, the light of day already fading, when Aya spots Black Sorrow on the road, luckily identifying him despite never having properly seen the monk. After a while, he takes a fork going northeast, leading to a mansion likely belonging to a noble. The sizable estate is surrounded by a cobblestone wall barely two feet high, likely more to denote the boundaries than to serve as any kind of defence. His steps lead him to a stone and timber barn, the gates opening to admit him.

Jeff the Green
2013-02-27, 09:46 PM
"Damn," Miriell swears. "I guess we know who's been protecting Larshon."

Knowledge (local) to see who owns this mansion: [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2013-02-28, 01:26 PM
"Who owns this place?" Jorran asks. "Are we just going to kick in the door?"

Jeff the Green
2013-02-28, 04:23 PM
"I have no idea who owns this," Mirielle replies. "This is going to make things more difficult, but not necessarily impossible. Ideas, Aya, Alaister?"

How close is the barn to the house, and how visible is the barn door to it?

TheFallenOne
2013-02-28, 04:30 PM
the door faces the street(half a mile out), and the barn is 300, maybe 400 feet from the mansion

Sallera
2013-02-28, 04:47 PM
"I don't know either, but we'll want to find out later," Aya says softly as she rejoins the others, gauging the distance from the barn to the nearest building. "Weather's not perfect for visibility, and it's looking to rain, so there oughtn't be too many people heading outside. Means we've got to be really careful about runners, though, which is going to require some improvisation. I've got one snare prepared - I could cover the door with it, but then we need to worry about Sorrow teleporting through the back wall. If I save it for him, we need to keep the others occupied. Latter might be easier if Jorran or Miri holds the door, but then I don't have much vision on the inside; I'll need to stay out here either way until we've confirmed Sorrow is down, because he'll cause no end of trouble for us if we let him get away. And we won't be able to dispose of the bodies efficiently without setting the whole place on fire, something I do not recommend, so we'd best paint a nice bloody Loviatan symbol or something on the wall once we're done."

How busy's the street at the moment? Still lots of traffic? Also, distance from the street to the barn?

rypt
2013-02-28, 05:56 PM
Cael's expression sours at Aya's mention of runners. "Look," he sighs, "I'm here for Black Sorrow and Larshon. That's all. If you're expecting me to cut down random fleeing cultists, that's just not going to happen." Having addressed this preliminary matter, he continues, "Now, I can get you up on the roof of the barn if you'd like, but you're going to have to be careful not to make too much noise until everyone else is in position. As it is, I think I'd feel better about waiting until we have the cover of darkness to disguise our approach."

Jeff the Green
2013-02-28, 06:25 PM
"I sympathize, Alhruar," Mirielle says, putting a hand on his shoulder, "but these are quite evil people. If we can, we should try to keep them alive and let them face mortal justice, but if that's impossible it's better for them to die than to let them escape and continue their abominable rites somewhere else. Death is not something one should lightly deal out to one's enemies, but neither is it, in itself, a torture."

Mirielle begins setting up her workings. First she breathes courage and resolve into her companions, then a shimmering aura of force around Jorran and Alaister, a blessing of war, and a repletion of energy in her body she will feed into the spells she uses against the Loviatans.

"There," she says. "That's all for now. We should hurry and get this over with."

Everyone gets mass conviction (+2 to saves for 50 minutes) and bless (+1 to attack and saves vs. fear for 5 minutes), Jorran and Alaister get shield of faith (+2 deflection AC for 5 minutes), Mirielle gets body ward (reduce ability damage by 5 for 5 minutes).

Sallera
2013-02-28, 06:28 PM
"I don't care whether you cut them down or not. Trip them up, knock them out, bind them in webs, it's all the same as long as they don't run around drawing attention. And on that note, I think waiting for dark could actually be worse. Sure, I can see alright, but not perfectly, and if Sorrow runs for it I need to be able to find him and catch him. Furthermore, if Miri uses that blinding spell again, it would be... very noticeable. As would any lights we use to see. I think that with the distance, the weather, and the wall, as long as we're quick and not excessively loud, we can do the job and get out before any of the travellers pay us too much attention."

Checking the buildings again through her spyglass, Aya shakes her head. "I'd rather not go up on the roof, actually. Convenient for catching Sorrow, but if he stands his ground instead of running I can't lend a hand inside. I'll just stay outside toward the mansion side, and if he bolts, I should be able to get sight of him and snare him before he gets anywhere too troublesome."

TheFallenOne
2013-03-01, 09:14 AM
Jorran lifts the wooden bar out of its holdings and it falls with a thud, the chanting inside suddenly stopping. Further time is lost pushing the barndoors open, and by the time you can see into the hazy candlelight inside, giving the occupants and their flickering shadows an eerie appearance, they may still be surprised, but ready for a fight.

A circle of broken glass and sharp rocks fills the center of the barn, three men with swords and axes forming the first line of defence. In the back, two young priestesses with blond and auburn hair hold whips at the ready, one of them speaking a short prayer to the Maiden of Pain, and in front of them is the most unusual of the attendants, a gaunt creature with wrinkled gray skin hanging in folds, like it is supposed to belong to someone else of a bigger build. He's slouching and flexes sharp claws, an uneasy snarl greeting you.

Initiative
24 Alaister
24 Jorran
22 Baddies
16 Cael
15 Aya
7 Mirielle

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6544/barnj.png

L1 has studded leather and a shortsword
L2 has scale mail, heavy shield and a waraxe
L3 has chain mail and a ripper
U wears chain mail. Nature may reveal his race
P1 and P2 have light shields and breastplate

Illumination is shadowy. Unless you have darkvision or make light everyone has concealment.
The glass counts as caltrops.

Sallera
2013-03-01, 02:19 PM
Taking a step inside the door, Alaister smiles thinly through his disguise. "The Maiden of Pain has few friends, and you have fewer hopes." Drawing his longbow, he sends a burning shaft toward the nearest axe-wielder, wasting no time in setting the tone of the engagement.

5ft step to L20, enter Bolstering Voice stance.
Draw longbow, fire on L3 with dragonsbreath.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + 1 fire, DC15 Reflex to avoid catching fire. And if I'm remembering correctly, Cunning Strike is sneak attack? If so, spend an IP on that for another [roll2].

Frog Dragon
2013-03-01, 04:30 PM
No Black Sorrow or Larshon in the first room. They had to be further in. And these cultists were likely below them in skill and conviction.

"This'll be quick." Jorran smirks and bounds forwards, drawing his sword as it bursts into flame. He rushes towards the man with the axe in the front line, cutting down at him with the flaming blade.

Initiate Burning Blade
Charge at L2, ending up in the square below him, drawing sword with movement. Power Attack for 2.
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Fire Damage: [roll2]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-01, 05:14 PM
Alaister's arrow finds its mark, but fails to ignite the man's clothing, and Jorran's blow is deflected off a hastily raised shield. The priestesses open with spells to bolster their allies and bring dread to the attackers, and the cultists gang up on the lone Jorran in the midst of their ranks, the crouching humanoid swiping at him with long claws protruding from his fingers before the other men stab and slash at the Luskanite with their steel.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7146/barnu.png

P1 casts Bless
P2 casts Bane, cancelling the Bless active on you

U [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
if this hits, every other attack gets +4 against Jorran

L1 [roll3] [roll]1d6[/roll [roll4]
L2 [roll5] [roll]1d8+2[/roll [roll6]
L1 [roll7] [roll]2d6+3[/roll [roll8]

finally, caltrops (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#caltrops) attack roll [roll9]

Sallera
2013-03-01, 05:40 PM
Aya glances around for any signs of escaping cultists; finding none, she lets her bow appear in her hand and sends a pair of shafts toward the priestess in the back.

Aya's out of range of the Bane, so she keeps her Bless. Rapid Shot with normal arrows on P2.
Damage: [roll1] + 1 electricity
Concealment: [roll2]
Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + 1 electricity
Concealment: [roll5]

rypt
2013-03-01, 07:21 PM
Cael gestures towards a point above the priestesses' heads as dozens of sticky, fibrous strands burst forth in every direction, anchoring themselves to the floor and ceiling, and entangling everything caught in between. With nearly all of the Loviatans now struggling within the web, the elf draws his sword and moves to flank the wounded cultist.

Standard Action: Cael will cast Web (DC 17 Reflex save), centered on the intersection of J11:K12. I believe this should catch all of the cultists except for L3.

Move Action: Cael will move to M17, drawing his sword in the process.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-02, 04:35 AM
Mirielle is unhappy that Jorran decided to burst forward rather than hold the line and allow the Loviatans to come to them, or at least allow Mirielle the opportunity and space to wreak some havoc with her spells, but she masks her displeasure. She proffers her holy symbol, simultaneously drawing on its power to infuse her steps with speed and channeling her celestial heritage into it, causing it to glow with the strength of the sun.

She then hustles forward to the wall opposite Alaister.

Swift action: Activate Travel Devotion
Standard action: Daylight SLA on Reliquary Holy Symbol (full daylight 60' radius, 50 min.)
Move action: Move to I18, drawing morningstar as part of the action.

Sallera
2013-03-02, 03:55 PM
Aya winces as the light blossoms inside, glancing behind her for any signs of passing travelers taking notice. It was the wrong direction to be hidden by the setting sun, but with luck, the door would keep it from being quite as noticeable as Mirielle moved toward the wall, or it would pass as a reflection from the mansion's exterior.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-03, 12:35 PM
Though he managed to partially deflect the two weapons that had hit him with his armor, the wounds remained. He was now surrounded, but he had only been hit because he was off-balance, and his foes had only barely managed it even then. Ignoring the wounds inflicted on him, Jorran attacks the clawed creature with newfound ferocity.

Swift Action: Ferocity
Attack the Lashemoi (U), Power Attack for 2

AC: 20

TheFallenOne
2013-03-03, 01:11 PM
Concentration to cast [roll0]
bother, posted in wrong tab

TheFallenOne
2013-03-03, 01:43 PM
The suddenly appearing strands of web ensnare most of the cultists, and when Alaister switches the bow to his offhand to support the frontline the inhibited movement is enough to allow him to score a deep gash on the chest of one of them. Jorran lands a telling blow on the Lashemoi, and he howls in pain, retaliating with furious strength. Now Mirielle's spell illuminates the barn you can not only tell how truly ugly the creature is, but also that it wears a belt of translucent purple scales and the features of the face seem misplaced, resembling a wolf's snout with stark black fur reaching down to the arms and back, the redglowing eyes oddly familiar as he snaps forward to bite Jorran.
One of the priestesses targets Cael, causing extreme thirst as his mouth dries up and he starts to feel woozy. The other one, not contend with the web binding her, drops an alchemist's fire right next to her, setting herself and the surrounding on fire as the web burns away.

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4839/barnl.png

The web in J12/K13 is burning [roll0]
Cael takes [roll1]. Fort 14 or fatigued

L1 attacks Jorran [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]
L2 attacks Jorran [roll5] [roll6]
L3 attacks Cael [roll7] [roll8]

U attacks Jorran
[roll9] [roll10]
[roll11] [roll12]
[roll13] [roll14]
if any of this hits some of his wounds close

rypt
2013-03-03, 05:48 PM
Beads of sweat begin to wet Cael's forehead as a sudden flush of heat spreads throughout his body. He manages to shake off the worst effects of the priestess' spell, and fortunately so, for the very next moment, the nearest cultist turns to face him, lunging forward with a short-shafted spear. The thrust is well placed, but Cael manages to shift his weight, turning the grooved blade against the surface of a formidable, and previously unseen barrier of energy. As sparks rain down beside him, the elf tightens his grip on his sword, seeking to take advantage of the cultist's exposed position.

Cael attacks L3.

Attack (including +2 for flanking): [/roll]d20+7[/roll] [20] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14819587&postcount=420).
Damage: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-03, 06:54 PM
An exposed target was a welcome break when firing into such close quarters, and Aya wastes no time in taking advantage of it, firing upon the axeman while continuing to keep watch around the building. Sorrow and Larshon's lack of appearance so far might simply be pragmatism on their part, but she couldn't help half-expecting them to simply vanish somehow before the fight even reached their hiding place.

Alaister pauses a moment in concentration, taking advantage of the cultists' other focuses, then lashes out again across the man's side.

Aya Rapid Shots L3, with no cover for once.
Attack 1: [roll0]
Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + 1 electricity

Assuming Alaister's action last round was a Rabid Wolf Strike, he'll recover maneuvers this round and attack L1.
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Edit: Usually read the OOC first, but I was browsing in reverse order today. <<;; May as well keep the action the same.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-03, 08:04 PM
Mirielle slides along the wall, past Alaister, until she's in the right position. She extends her hand and from it spring forth shards of light, reflections of her celestial ancestor's righteousness. They scour the Loviatans' flesh and burn their eyes. Then, with a swift step she scuttles back behind Alaister.

Move action: Move to I15.
Standard action: Cast Ayailla's radiant burst, originating at I15/J16 and pointed NE. Fort DC 15 or Blind. 2d6 damage, Reflex half.

P1: [roll0]
P2: [roll1]
L2: [roll2]
U: [roll3]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-04, 01:57 PM
The clawed creature was clearly the most dangerous of the lot, having withstood a decisive cut already. And surrounded, he was in a less than ideal position to defend himself, as the shallow cuts he had taken demonstrated.

Dodging past the cultists on either side of him, Jorran places himself against the wall and cuts down at the clawed creature again.

Tumble two squares to the right. Tumble checks:
Against U: [roll0]
Against L3: [roll1]
Attack U, PA for 2, again
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 04:08 PM
The cultist facing Cael is evidently surprised when his thrust is suddenly stopped, and before he can make sense of it he receives two wounds from blade and arrow but stubbornly tries again. When Mirielle's spell washes over them they scream, more from confusion than pain when their vision is blocked. The blonde priestess vainly tries to force her way through the web to the spot her auburn compatriot burned free, unbeknownst to her having collapsed when the spell hit her hard, lying unmoving on the ground. Alaister disembowels the first cultist, the ensnaring web and blindness removing any chance to dodge the blade. The Lashemoi though is made of sturdier stuff and Jorran's blade glances off unnaturally tough skin without effect, the attacks of the wolffaced creature growing fiercer by the moment.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7146/barnu.png

P1 unconscious
P2 failed attempt to move

L1 down
L2 attempts to break free [roll0]
L3 attacks Cael [roll1] [roll2]

U attacks Jorran
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]

Caltrops on Jorran
[roll9]
[roll10]

Caltrops on Mirielle
[roll11]

Sallera
2013-03-04, 04:21 PM
Damn it, Jorran. That style of yours might 'work' when you're the superior fighter, but you need to learn when to fall back. Growing increasingly nervous at Sorrow's continued absence, Aya looses another pair of shafts at the cultists. This whole expedition would be worse than worthless if they didn't at least get the bloody monk taken care of.

The need for haste is apparent inside, and Alaister maneuvers carefully over the broken glass before whipping his blade up and down again in a savage double cut across the cultist barring the way to the lashemoi.

Aya Rapid Shots L3 again. If he falls, remaining shot goes to U.
Attack 1: [roll0] (forgot the Bless last round)
Attack 1: [roll2]

Alaister moves half-speed to J16 and Rabid Wolf Strikes L2 with an inspiration point. (-4 AC for one round.)
Damage: [roll5] + [roll6]

rypt
2013-03-04, 05:05 PM
"Beshaba's breath," Cael curses through gritted teeth as Jorran slumps to the ground. With both the Lashemoi and the ripper-wielding cultist within reach of the northerner's body, there is little the elf can do to save Jorran on his own. "Mirielle!" he calls in an escalating tone, hoping that with the cleric's assistance, they may yet be able to salvage this mess. Bracing himself against any potential retaliation, Cael raises his hand towards the gray-skinned monster, a word of a power sending bolts of energy streaming through the air.

Standard Action: Cael will cast Magic Missile at the Lashemoi. With Combat Casting, he automatically passes the DC 16 Concentration check to cast defensively.

Swift Action: Cael will expend one charge of his Amulet of Tears for 12 temporary HP.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-04, 07:10 PM
Kelemvor, if this is not our time, preserve us from this evil. If this is our time, may we pass quietly and with dignity. And may we take as many of these bastards with us as possible, Mirielle prays silently. Outloud, she shouts advice to her allies: "We have to take the lashemoi out now. Everyone else is an afterthought."

As though to emphasize the sentiment, she shouts a word that is very near to the dark speech and two bolts of congealed darkness spring from her hand toward the wrinkled abomination. The first she imbues with a bit of guidance while the second she prays to hit.

Swift action: DMM quickened true strike.
Standard action: Cast darkbolt, both bolts at the lashemoi. Each hit forces a DC 15 Will vs. stunning.

1st: [roll0] [roll1]
2nd: [roll2] [roll3] Actually +4, so 19.
Move action: Move to J18

Kelemvor, if this is not our time, preserve us from this evil. If this is our time, may we pass quietly and with dignity. And may we take as many of these bastards with us as possible, Mirielle prays silently. Outloud, she shouts advice to her allies: "We have to take the lashemoi out now. Everyone else is an afterthought."

As though to emphasize the sentiment, she shouts a celestial phrase of defiance and another gout of radiant shards bursts from her hands toward the cultists.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-04, 08:09 PM
Alaister kills another cultist, the upswing cutting through his groin and the thus provoked wail quickly silenced when he splits the man's skull with the rebound. The last one, frustrated with a near-perfect thrust stopped by an invisible force before reaching Cael's vitals, turns his attention instead to the defenseless Jorran, stabbing downward through his left eye with an unpleasant, wet sound.
The Lashemoi on the other hand turns his attention to Cael, unleashing on the elf with a blind ans desperate fury fueled by his many wounds, but some of them already closing after his last assault on Jorran.

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/911/barnk.png

[coup de grace]4d6+6[/roll]
well, Cael has an AoO for this, so one chance to save the overeager Luskanite. You need to beat AC 18 and do 8+ damage.

P2 tries to move [roll0]

U is angry
[roll1] [roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]

caltrops on Alaister [roll7]

Jeff the Green
2013-03-05, 05:45 AM
Mirielle sees the cultist prepare to end Jorran's life. She sees the evil-looking blade begin to jab toward his eye. And she knows the unpleasant fate that awaits him at Fury's Heart, to be transformed into something utterly cruel, a mockery of humanity. True, Jorran was not the gentlest of souls in life, but he was not that. And moreover, he is her friend.

Mirielle does something she has never done before. With fists clenched and eyes shut, she throws her head to the cosmos and sends out a thought. Let this not be his time! She sends out the thought with no care to who receives it. Just so long as someone does.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-05, 06:20 AM
It seems Mirielle's incantation comes too late, and the ripper is plunged through Jorran's eye, causing a sickening crunch when the tip pierces through the back of his skull. Then suddenly, Jorran's hand snaps up and grabs the haft of the weapon, the remaining eye staring at the cultist with intense focus. He recoils in fear and let's go of the weapon, a curse on his lips.

Jorran benefits from Delay Death, except he retains consciousness
he still takes damage from the attack though [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-05, 11:49 AM
Distance doesn't dull Aya's vision of the impact. A sniper's eyes saw more than they wanted to, at times. Yet just as she is prepared to cross another name off its temporary place in her heart - one more comrade, killed in an ambush gone wrong - up he rises, the wound obviously fatal and doing nothing to slow him. What magic are you working now, Miri? Is this even your doing?

She heard Mirielle's call, but the wounded cultist is still in her way, and even putting that aside, he ought to die for what he'd just tried. Vicious streaks of flame fly through the twilight, one marked for the panicking cultist and one, with luck, bearing the name of his lashemoi friend.

Alaister takes full advantage of the opening Jorran's uncanny resurrection grants him, lunging forward and slicing across the lashemoi's neck.

Aya takes a Rapid Shot with dragonsbreath arrows. L3, and then U if he falls.
Damage: [roll1] + 1 fire + 1 electricity, DC15 Reflex or catch fire for [roll2]
Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + 1 fire + 1 electricity, DC15 Reflex or catch fire for [roll5]

Alaister moves to K15 and Steely Strikes U with an inspiration point. (-4 AC again)
Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-05, 12:16 PM
Jorran lets the grooved shortspear fall out of his left hand as he grasps the greatsword tighter with his right. I'm alive. The man who should have done him in was disarmed, but the beast that had brought him low in the first place was still looming over him. He was alive, but not safe. Though the adrenaline had only quickened with the wound he was not sure how had survived, even he saw that he should retreat. But even with his own blood in his eyes, he saw that there was no way to go without inviting the clawed creature to attack him again when he next lapsed in his defense.

Letting the ripper drop to the floor, Jorran puts his left hand on the amulet hanging from his neck. It could give him the breathing room to survive the fight, and perhaps, with help, after it. He whispers a command word and puts his left hand on the greatsword. Seeing Alaister move towards the Lashimoi as well, Jorran swings at the creature's side.

Swift Action: Amulet of Tears, 3 charges. That puts me at -13 hp, with 24 temp hp
Standard Action: Attack Lashimoi
Attack: [roll0] (From prone, and that includes the flanking bonus. It seems like I can't actually tumble out of prone, and I don't want to risk eating more AoO:s from our friend Lashimoi here)

Jeff the Green
2013-03-05, 04:27 PM
Mirielle's eyes go wide with shock and a more than a little fear at Jorran's revival, but she quickly thrusts those doubts to the back of her mind and goes for broke.

She drops her morningstar and steps deliberately toward the lashemoi. She draws the net carefully folded at her waist, and then, with a word of power, lashes it at the beast.

With a swiftly uttered syllable, great white feathered wings sprout from her back. She flies past the lashemoi, giving Jorran space to stand up, and then up and over Cael's web and when she lands the wings disappear as quickly as they arose, replaced by fires dancing about her eyes. She glances at the horrid creature with righteous anger and hatred and his skin suddenly scorches and bubbles with invisible heat.

Swift action: DMM quickened celestial aspect, initially wings of the astral deva.
Move action: Fly to K7, past the lashemoi, hopefully provoking an AoO so Jorran can stand. It won't help his attack hit, but at least it will make it harder to hit him.
Free action: Swap wings of the astral deva for eyes of the firre
Standard action: Glance at the lashemoi, doing [roll0] fire damage. No attack or save.

rypt
2013-03-05, 04:57 PM
The lashemoi's ferocity seems to grow more terrible with every passing moment, a hail of fang and claw pinning Cael against the stall at his back and making it all but impossible for him to strike cleanly at the remaining cultist. The elf can only watch and listen as the ripper is driven through Jorran's skull, delivering a devastating blow no man could have ever hope to survive.

And yet he does.

Cael's eyes grow wide when he sees Jorran reach out and grasp the spear. "Mirielle?" He repeats the cleric's name, only this time his voice is heavy with uncertainty. If Jorran's surival is even the work of magic at all, it is like no spell Cael has ever seen before, and he wonders if it is a thing to be celebrated or feared.

He has only a moment to reflect on this inexplicable turn of events before the lashemoi's claws find a gap in his magical defenses and force him to focus his thoughts on the immediate conflict. Growling in pain, he lowers his hands to the creature's chest and releases a second salvo of arcane bolts.

Standard Action: Cael casts Magic Missile again.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-05, 05:56 PM
The shocked cultist has only moments to contemplate what happened before Aya's arrow brings him down, sending him to the ground burning and unmoving. The second arrow though breaks on the Lashemoi's hard skin without effect, and when Mirielle's web ensnares him he trashes around in anger and fear, striking at everything around him indiscriminately. The countless wounds from blade and spell covering him should have brought him down by now, but an animalistic fury keeps him moving.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4343/barny.png

Adjusted Alaister's move to K16, as K15 is webbed

P2 tries to move [roll0]

Attack Alaister [roll1] [roll2]
Attack Cael [roll3] [roll4]
Attack Jorran [roll5] [roll6]

Sallera
2013-03-05, 06:24 PM
Things were looking a little better, but they were wasting time, and Aya had no idea how long Jorran was going to be able to keep fighting with that spear in his eye. After taking a quick look behind and around, she lines up another two shots.

Alaister takes a deep breath, refocusing himself and letting the tension of the battle flow out of his body as he makes a single, measured cut.

Yeah, K16 is what I meant to write. <<;;

Aya Rapid Shots U, normal arrows.

Alaister recovers maneuvers and attacks U.
Damage: [roll5]

rypt
2013-03-05, 07:01 PM
Cael's body twists in pain as the lashemoi's claws find their mark once more. Returning the savage blow with yet another barrage of magical energy, the arcanist wonders how much more punishment the creature can take. Could whatever power is prolonging Jorran's life be prolonging the lashemoi's as well?

More Magic Missile.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-06, 05:29 AM
As the lashemoi continues to stand and attack her friends and allies, Mirielle realizes that she has to do something to give Jorran enough time and space to stand up and beat the creature down. If he keeps being cut up by the lashemoi's claws, she won't have time to heal him before whatever, or whomever, is keeping him alive fails. So she drops the trailing line to the net and takes a step back. Then, bracing herself against her buckler, she charges bodily at the lashemoi, trying to drive him back into the webbing.

Swift action: Travel devotion back some distance.
Full round action: Charge bull rush U. Strength check: [roll0]

Provokes an AoO; AC 13.

If it fails, pushed back to K17.

Sallera
2013-03-06, 11:22 AM
As the lashemoi is driven back, Alaister takes the opportunity to drive a foot into the back of its knee, shoving downward and trapping its leg as its momentum continues.

Sure, IP trip sounds good.
Touch attack: [roll0]
Trip: [roll1]

rypt
2013-03-06, 12:40 PM
Cael takes one last swing at the lashemoi before it is driven out of reach.
Attack of Opportunity.

Attack (including flanking bonus): [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-06, 01:13 PM
Attack of Opportunity: [Roll]1d20+7[Roll] (If I'm reading the order right, this'd be before Jorran has an opportunity to stand, even if he is no longer at a risk of being AoO:d).

Frog Dragon
2013-03-06, 01:16 PM
Bah, failed at tags.
[roll0]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-06, 01:55 PM
Yet another salvoe of magical energy hits the Lashemoi and still he's upright, old wounds healing almost as fast as you inflict new ones. When Mirielle shoves him back into the web she gives the prone Jorran an opening, and he cuts off the Lashemoi's left leg at the knee. He collapses, still struggling in the net, but finally the wounds catch up to him and he bleeds his last. The black wolfhead with glowing red eyes fades away, revealing beneath a gaunt and grimacing face that proves one thing: he died with terror in his heart.

The blonde priestess finally ceases struggling against the web binding her, lowering her head with a resigned sigh.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-06, 04:42 PM
Mirielle takes a moment to feel relief wash over her but then turns to Jorran. First things first, though; she examines his eye. Granted, most of her anatomical studies have been on dead bodies, but the anatomy is the same. With a swift pull she yanks the cruel weapon from his head.

That grisly task accomplished, she draws her quarterstaff. "You idiot," she says with deceptive sweetness as she raps his ears soundly with the staff. "What do you think you were doing, charging in like that. You almost died—would have died, if things had gone as they should have—just because you couldn't wait to get in battle. Didn't we talk about holding them at the door, letting me blind and wound them while you three keep them from attacking me? Idiot!" Each phrase she punctuates with a cuff to the head with her staff. She's not being entirely cruel, since with each blow she also sends a rush of healing energy that begins knitting together Jorran's fatal wounds.

I know that's not exactly how wand chambers are supposed to work, but I thought it was amusing enough to let it slide. (Doing nonlethal damage, obviously, which heals with the lethal.) Anyway, enough charges of cure light wounds to bring Jorran to at least 10 HP (24 points, I think?, then moving on to lesser vigor.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
So seven charges brings him to 16 HP + 13 temporary, I think.

Heal: [roll7]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-07, 04:45 AM
Jorran sits down against the wall as Mirielle starts clubbing him with the staff, seemingly unreactive. He really was a thug. Everywhere he had been, enemies fell fastest to a swift attack. A good offense was the best defense; that was what he had learned. He had lost to Black Sorrow because the monk had hit first. But he had yet to meet a foe who could overpower him at his own game.

"I wasn't expecting that... thing," Jorran mutters. He wondered how he was even alive. He had once seen a man stabbed through the face with a coal poker in Luskan, and he had died instantly. But somehow he had survived the same from a spear. He didn't have many scars, but it seemed like this one was going to stick. "How am I alive?"

Jeff the Green
2013-03-07, 05:19 AM
"I, I'm not exactly sure," Mirielle says hesitatingly as she continues patching up her friends and herself, "I prayed to Kelemvor for a miracle, but he's not exactly prone to such acts of mercy. Let the dying die, but die in peace."

Take 10 on Bluff for the "to Kelemvor" part, for 13.

Sallera
2013-03-07, 12:24 PM
Once it's clear Jorran is truly alive and not about to revert to his previous state - at least for the moment - Aya hides her bow back in her glove again and crouches down, pulling the camouflage netting over her head. One less target to be seen from the road. More importantly, this would be exactly where she'd make a break for it if she were trapped in that barn - the moment of relaxation after the tension of combat fades, when the weariness sets in and the attention wavers. Sorrow would know of such things as well.

rypt
2013-03-07, 02:21 PM
With a grimace, Cael crouches down and picks up the spear that Mirielle pulled from Jorran's eye. After testing the weapon's weight and balance, and running a finger along its blade, he shakes his head in disbelief. "Unbelievable. Someone was looking out for you," he says with a smile and a humorless chuckle. Patting Jorran on the back, he leaves Mirielle to tend to the Luskanite's wounds while he searches the bodies of the fallen for anything they might use against Larshon and Black Sorrow.

Cael will cast Detect Magic, focusing on the bodies of the dead. He is still holding the ripper.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-07, 07:15 PM
Cael finds half a dozen potions on the cultists, as well as a doeskin pouch filled with rather unremarkable pebbles on the Lashemoi. Then, a minute after the conclusion of the fight, you hear the sound of breaking glass on the other side of the barn. The hay catches on fire, spreading fast.

5x potion with faint Conjuration aura
1x potion with faint Abjuration aura

bag with faint Transmutation aura

rypt
2013-03-07, 07:46 PM
Cael has just begun to collect the potions when he notices the flames raising above the web. "Alchemist's fire?" He wonders out loud. Or maybe a window... Realizing Aya made not have heard the sound, he turns to the door, his voice raised, "Broken glass, back of the barn!" Packing the remaining potions away far more hastily than he would have liked, he points to the remaining priestess. "Someone watch her. I will dismiss the webbing."

Alaister, knocking an arrow, seems happy to oblige the request.

Cael will put the potions and the pouch into his backpack and then dismiss Web.

Readying actions outside of combat is gray area, but if possible, that's what I'd like Alaister to do. In the event the priestess does anything that could be perceived as hostile (casts a spell, raises a weapon, etc.), he will shoot her.

How many ticks of Lesser Vigor does Cael get before the fire starts?

Jeff the Green
2013-03-08, 07:31 AM
Mirielle does keep an eye on the Loviatan, but ***** an eyebrow at Alhruar. "Why?" she asks. "Surely that's what they expect, and we have no idea who's behind there."

Though the fire hasn't come even close to them yet, sweat is beginning to bead up on Mirielle's forehead. Her heart is racing, and her hands nearly shaking. She raises one hand and mutters an incantation, and water pours from the roof onto the flaming hay.

Cast create water. I assume the sentence "Water can be created in an area as small as will actually contain the liquid, or in an area three times as large—possibly creating a downpour or filling many small receptacles" overrides the usual restriction of Conjurations that they can't create something unsupported.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-08, 08:32 AM
The web disappears just as another flask of oil breaks, allowing the fire to spread further. On the other side of the barn, the targets of your attack are revealed: the familiar Black Sorrow, staring at you without any hint of emotion and Stavra Larshon, a lightskinned woman of remarkable beauy with fiery red hair flowing down her back. She holds a scourge at the ready, a mischievous smirk on her lips. "Better finish this quick, don't think you have long until the fire and your lightshow there draws unwanted attention. Next time you bring guests do be a dear and warn me, Sorrow. I don't think I'm very fond of them." Next to them stands a misshapen monstrosity with a tortured body, bearing the marks of flaying, burning and many other pains that twisted its limbs into dreadful parodies. Despite lacking eyes the crature seems aware of you, ready to charge into battle with its spear carved from a single large bone.

The priestess, having collapsed when the web disappeared, points at Jorran with a shaking finger. "Marrik stabbed that one all the way through the face, and it didn't even take him down!" Stavra frowns, but the monk is undeterred. "Was mortal enough when faced him last."

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5375/barn.png

You are out of range with Create Water while the web's still there

W looks like this. (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mm4_gallery/98734.jpg) Planes can identify it.
S is Stavra Larshon
B is Black Sorrow

Aya
Alaister
Baddies
Jorran
Cael
Mirielle

Sallera
2013-03-08, 11:56 AM
About to move when Alhruar shouts his warning, Aya breathes a sigh of relief when the web's disappearance reveals Sorrow still present. Tracing a careful sigil in the air, she holds the rest of her body still, moving only slightly with the wind.

Cast Hunter's Mercy.
Hide: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-08, 12:09 PM
Sheathing his sword rather than attempting a repeat of Jorran's earlier performance, Alaister sends another burning arrow toward Sorrow.

Damage (IP): [roll1] + 1 fire, Reflex DC15 or catch on fire

TheFallenOne
2013-03-08, 12:50 PM
A tingling vile aura spreads from Larshon as they advance on your line, and with a gesture she sends a wave of grief and despair over you, a slight ripple in the air visible before the sudden burst of negative emotions washes over you. Black Sorrow seems to prefer delaying his rematch with Jorran, and he grabs the Luskanite, trying to vault him both over Cael and the grate into the stall with a powerful hip throw. The Wrackspawn charges forward at Alaister with a mad howl, thrusting the bonespear at his side.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8150/barnb.png

Alaister, Mirielle, Cael and Jorran, DC 15 Will or -3 on attacks, saves, ability checks and skill checks for 5 turns

Black Sorrow attempts Mighty Throw [roll0] [roll1]
If he succeeds, Jorran lands prone in O16. Going over the grate requires a move action.

Charge on Alaister [roll2] [roll3]
DC 18 Fort or sickened for 1 round and extra [roll4] damage

Frog Dragon
2013-03-08, 01:56 PM
Jorran smirks as the priestess points at him. "No shadows to hide in this time. I'll take your head," he says after Black Sorrow speaks. He hefts the sword, but the spell makes his grip fall weak. Before he realizes what is happening, Black Sorrow is upon him, tossing him to the side like a ragdoll. That certainly helped his threats. He picks himself up from the floor and steps up to the grate, slashing at the monk over it.

Move action: Stand
5ft step to N17
Standard Action: Attack Black Sorrow

Sallera
2013-03-08, 02:03 PM
Denied his primary target and momentarily poisoned, Alaister dances around the wrackspawn, ducking under its weapon and drawing his sword as he spins around into a vicious cut.

Aya frowns as Sorrow briefly leaves her sight, abandoning stealth to take a step to the side. Her bow appears in her hand, a few sparks flashing as the spell she cast arcs from glove to dragonbone to metal. "No escaping today, Sorrow. This is your time," she whispers, faith in her Lady and herself leaving no room for doubt in the arrow's path.

Alaister at 32/49. 5ft step to K16, draw sword, Rabid Wolf Strike W with IP.
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] (Edit: -2, forgot sickened here)

Aya stands up, 5ft steps to L25 and shoots Sorrow with a dragonsbreath, Fate Card for a 15.
Attack: 26
Damage: [roll3] + 3 fire + 3 electricity, DC15 Reflex or catch fire for [roll4]

rypt
2013-03-08, 03:16 PM
Seeing Black Sorrow disappear right before his eyes, Cael steps back and reaches into the side pocket of his pack. Withdrawing a small liquid-filled bladder, he throws it to the ground. The outer sac ruptures upon impact, splashing every adjacent surface with a luminescent slime.

As he waits to see if the glowing substance reveals the monk's silhouette, Cael waves one hand over the haft of the ripper and instantly understands how best to wield it in combat.

Free Action: 5-foot step to M18.

Move Action: Draw the Torch Bug Paste.

Standard Action: Throw the Torch Bug Paste at L15:M16

Swift Action: Cast Master's Touch on the ripper.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-08, 05:04 PM
Mirielle is slowest to respond, which doesn't surprise her. She's been concentrating on the flames in the corner of the barn. Her forehead is already beginning to bead with sweat and her mouth is dry, but she forces herself to push away old memories and focus on the task at hand.

She recognizes the demon that just attacked Jorran, so she calls out to her allies. "That's a wrackspawn. Try not to get hit with its spear, because otherwise there's a good chance of you doubling over in pain." "Try not to get hit with a spear" is probably advice that applies to any circumstance and most don't really need to hear it, but she's still a bit shaken by the fire.

Deciding to deal with the wrackspawn in the quickest way she could think of, she reaches to her belt and pulls out a vial of sand. She steps forward and tosses it, almost gently, at the demon.

Move action: Draw slumber sand
5-foot step: to L17
Standard action: Throw slumber sand at W. [roll0] Fort DC 15 or sleep for 1 minute.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-08, 06:57 PM
His sudden invisibility may protect Black Sorrow from Jorran's blade, but when Cael's bladder reveals his outline Aya's arrow has no trouble finding him, scoring a deep wound on his chest. He gasps, breaking off the shaft of the arrow with a quick motion before delivering a swift blow to Mirielle when she presents an opening. The monk pursues Cael, stepping inside his guard and trying to sweep him from his feet before knocking the ripper out of his hands, positioning himself to make it difficult for Jorran to scale the grate. The Wrackspawn took a solid hit from Alaister, but fights back uncaring with bonespear and a misshapen claw. Stavra focuses on Mirielle, wrapping the strands of the scourge around her arm. Thin flames dance over the metal coils, but the pain Mirielle registers is far too intense to be caused just by that, and it drains away her strength. "See what your god has wrought. That thing was once one of the Faithless. Years of torture have turned the poor soul into this. That's what pain can inflict, and you just wronged its mistress."

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2827/barnn.png

Sorry about the 'Cael's bladder' part. Had to.

Touch attack on Mirielle [roll0]
on hit, 1 fire damage, and DC 16 Will or cursed(-6 strength).
Alaister, Mirielle, Cael and Jorran need a DC 15 Will save or be Shaken for 1 minute. Dreadful Wrath is fun.

W attacks Alaister
[roll1] [roll2] Pain [roll3]
Claw [roll]1d20+3[roll] [roll4]

B tries to trip Cael
[roll5] [roll6]
[roll7] [roll8]

Improved Trip bonus attack [roll9] [roll10]
second attack, if first trips successfully [roll11] [roll12]

Disarm attempt [roll13]

Sallera
2013-03-08, 07:35 PM
The intense pain and the emotional manipulation of Stavra's spell take away a good deal of Alaister's confidence, and he steps back, dropping the sword and trying to focus enough to foul the wrackspawn's footing.

Aya is focused intently on Sorrow's glowing form, trying to read his movements and intentions. The other targets were nothing but distractions until he was dead, and she fires as soon as she spots a gap in the melee, following up with another shot a few seconds later.

Alaister 5ft steps to K17 and attempts to cast Grease defensively, using an IP on the Concentration check (DC16): [roll0] If he succeeds, placing it in J15/K16.

Aya Rapid Shots Sorrow with normal arrows.
Attack 1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] + 1 electricity
Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + 1 electricity

Jeff the Green
2013-03-08, 07:45 PM
Mirielle nearly doubles over in pain, but raises her head to snarl at Larshon. "Liar. You know as well as I that my master despises the Wall and that the only reason it remains is that it was forced on him. You also know as well as I that the torment that created this poor creature was inflicted by your mistress's servants, not Kelemvor. You are an odious being, less than a worm, consorting not only with demons but the abomination of the Ushemoi. You are barely worth fighting."

She steps back behind Alaister and, drawing another vial, hurls it at Larshon.

Delay until after Alaister.
5-foot step: To K18
Move action: Draw bile droppings.
Standard action: Throw bile droppings at Larshon. [roll0] [roll1] damage, [roll2] damage next turn, plus DC 13 Fort or sickened (getting hit imposes -4 penalty to save). If miss: [roll3]
Swift action: Activate Travel Devotion.

rypt
2013-03-08, 07:57 PM
Although Cael manages to stay upright against Sorrow's first sweeping blow, his knee still buckles, leaving him off-balance against the monk's second attempt. He goes down hard, and a swift crack to the head ensures that he is no shape to resist Sorrow's attempt to knock the spear from his hands.

As he regains his senses, he notices Jorran's head rising just above the wall of the adjoining stall. Recognizing a uniquely beneficial avenue of escape, Cael calls out, "Jorran, wait!" just as the Luskanite is about to move against Black Sorrow once more. With a whispered word, Cael vanishes, and Jorran appears in his place.

Cael will speak out of turn, hopefully convincing Jorran to delay his action until after Cael's.

Standard Action: Cast Benign Transposition targeting himself and Jorran. He automatically succeeds on the Concentration check to cast defensively.

Move Action: Stand up.

Swift Action: Activate a charge on his Amulet for 12 temporary HP.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-09, 04:52 AM
Jorran holds his sword raised as Alhruar shouts at him to wait. He pauses for a second, only to feel himself shifting in place, finding himself face to face with Black Sorrow. He brings the sword down again, before taking a step back from the pile of acid tossed by Mirielle. He whispers a command word.

Attack Black Sorrow
Attack: [roll0] (with Bless)
Take a 5ft step back (To M19).
Swift: Activate Brute Gauntlets, 3 charges (+4 to Strength checks, Strength-based skill checks and weapon damage for 1 round). Should remain active until the end of my next turn.

Fort Save vs sicken: [roll2] (with Conviction)

This part is mostly so I remember what I'm doing
AC: 20 (+5 armor, +4 Dex, +2 Deflect, -1 Flaw)
HP: 48/58 (14 Temp HP, 2 more rounds of lesser vigor left)
Buffs: Conviction (+2 to saves), Shield of Faith (+2 Deflection to AC), Brute Gauntlets 3 charges (+4 to Strength checks, Strength-based skill checks and weapon damage for 1 round)
Debuffs: Wave of Grief (-3 to Attack, Ability checks, skill checks, Saves), Sickened (-2 to Attack rolls, Weapon damage rolls, skill checks, ability checks, and saving throws), Shaken (-2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks)

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 08:55 AM
"Far from every torture is done in Loviatar's name. But we are good at it, and I judge you well-deserving." She wraps her whip around Mirielle's throat, choking her with a forceful pull as she continues to sap her strength and resolve.

Another arrow finds Black Sorrow, but Jorran's cut is well off the mark when Cael's sudden switch in their positions throws off his orientation for a moment. The monk pursues, hooking his staff between Jorran's legs when he tries to take a step back, pushing his elbow against Jorran's upper chest to force him into a backwards bend and fall before knocking on the fingers holding the sword. "New blade. No difference."

The Wrackspawn falls on the slippery ground and rises again with a frustrated snarl, bringing its claw to bear with a brutal uppercut. In the meantime, the fire keeps spreading, now starting t reach to wooden structure above the stone base of the walls.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/5509/barnh.png

you notice a minor amount of DR on Sorrow

The Wrackspawn provokes an AoO
Attack on Alaister [roll0]

Larshon
[roll1] 1 Fire, -2 Str and Dex for 1 minute. No save.
[roll2]

Sorrow
[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6]

Improved Trip bonus attack [roll7] [roll8]
If first trip successful [roll9] [roll10]

Disarm [roll11]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-09, 10:51 AM
Jorran curses internally as he falls. Even the magic he had invoked had failed to give him the strength to resist. The monk was simply too skillful. Next, the monk struck his fingers, causing his grip on the sword to loosen.

It was a familiar situation from their last battle, but like back then, Jorran was not going to give up yet. He bounds back up, leaving the sword on the floor before reaching for the monk, kicking his feet off from under him before tossing him at his allies' feet.

Move Action: Stand
Standard Action: Mighty Throw Black Sorrow
Touch: [roll0]
Strength Check: [roll1]
Going to toss him into K17 Hopefully Mirielle and Alaister can stomp on him while he's prone (if I succeed here).

Jeff the Green
2013-03-09, 12:58 PM
Mirielle begins trembling—from the spreading fire, she hopes, not Larshon's threat—but the remnants of her protective magic protect her from being sapped of too much energy. Carefully she begins working the last of her Power, then steps to the side and touches Black Sorrow, hoping to sap some of his energy, then brings her quarterstaff down on him for good measure.

5-foot step: To L19.
Swift action: DMM quickened bestow curse on Black Sorrow. Cast defensive: [roll0] Touch: [roll1] Holding the charge if miss.
Standard action: Attack Black Sorrow (with curse if missed, with staff otherwise). [roll2] [roll3]

Curse is -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.

Sallera
2013-03-09, 06:32 PM
Alaister sidesteps beside Mirielle, grabs his sword, and thrusts at Sorrow, recognizing the need to take at least one target out of the fight.

Aya scowls as the focus of the fight starts turning from staying unnoticed to staying alive, but unless they retreated outside, the best she could do for them at the moment was to keep feathering Sorrow. Just need one more good shot...

Alaister 5ft steps to L18, grabs his sword (whyyy does he not carry a backup weapon...), and Steely Strikes Sorrow (inspired).

Aya Rapid Shots Sorrow with the last of her dragonsbreath. Since, y'know, the barn's on fire anyway.
Attack 1: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] + 1 fire + 1 electricity, DC15 Reflex or catch fire for [roll4]
Attack 2: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6] + 1 fire + 1 electricity, DC15 Reflex or catch fire for [roll7]

rypt
2013-03-09, 06:49 PM
Squaring himself to Sorrow's exposed flank, Cael draws his sword and slashes across the edge of the stall. Then, in preparation for the inevitable counter attack, he channels his magic inward, invoking a spell to punish those who would harm him.

Move Action: Draw his sword.

Standard Action: Attack Black Sorrow.

Attack (including +2 flanking bonus): [roll0]

Swift Action: Cast Karmic Aura. Anyone within 20 ft. who damages him must make a DC 17 Will save or be fatigued for 3 rounds.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-09, 07:58 PM
Jorran's attempt to grab Black Sorrow is almost casually deflected and Cael's swing is too easy to read with the grate limiting his field of attack, but both of Aya's arrows find him, the second one missing his throat by an inch and instead cutting his carotid artery, the rapid blood loss staining his hempen shirt red. He takes a step back, eyes closed in focus before fixing on the archer outside with an unpleasant look.

Stavra Larshon hisses in frustration seeing the near-fatal wound on her companion and decides to take drastic measures to put the numbers on a more even footing. The vile aura of the spell she casts at Alaister makes your skin crawl and he doubles over with a wail of intense pain, his skin blistering and dripping fluid. The wheezing cough from the Wrackspawn might be a distorted laugh, if such a creature is even still capable of any form of joy, and somehow you just know it is most intimately familiar with what the manyfaced man is feeling right now. But his agony is cut short when the Wrackspawn plunges its jagged bonespear through the hollow above his collarbone deep into the vitals, and the blood drains from Alaister's face unnaturally fast. His cry of pain intensifies for a moment, impossible as it seems, then he collapses and is no more.

Larshon smirks in satisfaction, her striking green eyes fixing on Jorran. "Such a shame when the pain only lasts a few seconds."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3060/barnf.png

Sort of like the finishing blow Game of Thrones' Bron used in the trial by battle. Is there a common name for that location? Seems it's called Supraclavicular fossa in anatomy.

Larshon casts Wrack. The event is obviously scripted, so the spell can't be interrupted.
Intimidate on Jorran [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-09, 09:26 PM
Oh, you'll regret that later, Larshon. You may have just made things more convenient for me, but he was still nominally an ally. I don't forgive such slights easily. Dark thoughts aside, Sorrow still came first. He was looking close to death, but his lack of action made Aya cautious, and she'd definitely caught his attention. Whatever trick he had planned this time... best to use one of her own to get around it. Brushing the tips of her fingers together around the shaft of the bow, she activates the magic in her glove, preparing for a fatal blow.

Activate the glove for a True Strike.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-10, 02:37 AM
Realizing that, of the two of her allies that couldn't see in the dark, one had died and the other run away—again—Mirielle waits until the Loviatans are about to move and douses the light around her neck, then draws the remaining vial of bile droppings before sidestepping to give Aya a cleaner shot.

Delay until right before the Loviatans.
Standard action: Dismiss daylight
Move action: Draw bile droppings.
5-foot step: To K19

Frog Dragon
2013-03-10, 11:27 AM
Jorran had nearly died just a minute ago. He was weakened and unarmed. And now this Larshon had set her eyes on him. He briefly considered rushing at her right there and then, but he didn't know what she was capable of. And beside her stood Black Sorrow, who had tossed him about like a ragdoll throughout both of their battles.

Maneuvering carefully to avoid the whip, Jorran started backing out of the building.

A full withdraw move would actually take me outside the map. On the map, 26H looks good. If we're going to outside the map, I could reach 29H as far as I can tell.

rypt
2013-03-10, 10:48 PM
Just as the tide of battle seemed like it might be turning in their favor, it turns back, and Cael's stomach drops at the sound of Alaister's tortured scream. With the blade adept's loss, he is suddenly aware of his isolated position and the difficulties he may have if the group decides to retreat. Taking a step back from the grate, he sets his will against the wounded monk, hoping to cripple his mind and leave him vulnerable to a final volley of arrows.

Free action: 5-foot step to O18.

Standard Action: Cast Daze Monster on Black Sorrow. DC 17 Will save or be unable to take any actions for 1 round.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-11, 12:41 AM
Just when Cael starts the gestures of a spell Black Sorrow is wreathed in shadows and vanishes, an instant later reappearing right next to Aya, staff raised high and ready to strike.

The Wrackspawn cuts off Alaister's head and raises the grisly trophy, the oversized and misshapen claw almost wrapping entirely around the grimacing skull. Then suddenly, the creature is outlined in a blue-white light and disappears with a short flash, the duration of the summoning having run out.

The fiery haired priestess keeps focusing on Mirielle, draining the lifeforce from her body with negative energy channeled through the strands of her scourge.

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4839/barnl.png

Aya
Larshon
Jorran
Cael
Sorrow
Mirielle

Attack on Mirielle [roll0] 1 Fire and Inflict Medium Wounds [roll1] Will 15 halves
[roll2]

Cael and Jorran to act. Aya can revise her action in light of monk in her face

rypt
2013-03-11, 01:59 AM
A ray of sparkling light streams from Cael's hand as he attempts to disrupt Larshon's casting. Unfortunately, in his haste to complete the spell on time, he fails to properly aim it, and the beam flies harmlessly over the Loviatan's head.

With the wrackspawn's grisly disappearance and Sorrow's timely teleportation, Cael is certainly out of position now, if not in the way it had seemed only a moment before. Cursing in frustration, he moves back towards the grate, sending a trio of arcane bolts arcing over top as he sets his feet in preparation to follow them.

Free action: 5-foot step to N18.

Standard action: Magic missile at Larshon.

Cael is now completely out of 1st and 2nd level spells.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-11, 08:09 AM
Seeing Black Sorrow close behind, Jorran turns on his heels. Now he was after Aya, who had given him his most grievous wounds in this battle. It was clear that running away from the fight was no use, and no Black Sorrow was away from Larshon, who was fighting both Cael and Mirielle at once. If they could get Black Sorrow out of the way, Larshon was as good as done.

Drawing his scimitar, Jorran rushes at Black Sorrow.

Drawing scimitar in the charge used to initiate Charging Minotaur, ending charge at 25K. This should be my 5th round of ferocity, by my count.

Strength check: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-11, 11:05 AM
Aya fakes a look of panic as Sorrow appears right in front of her, but in truth, she's having more trouble suppressing a smirk. He'd wasted his teleportation magic, he was standing on the grass, and he thought he could stop her. Perhaps one more volley, to draw him away from the edge of the road, then she could tie him up and finish him off.

Stepping back, she fires off another pair of shots before banishing her bow into her glove so he couldn't take it from her.

5ft step back to L...29, I guess that would be. Rapid Shot with normal arrows, free action to store bow in glove.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-11, 11:29 AM
This time Aya's shot pierces Black Sorrow's lung and he drops his staff, avoiding collapsing on the spot by sheer strength of will. Just then, Jorran charges in and throws the monk back with a brutal charge, the Loviatan's neck breaking with an audible crack.

No more Sorrow. Mirielle and Aya to act.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-11, 12:17 PM
Mirielle steps out of range of Larshon's whip and tries parlaying with her. "It's over, Stavra, and you know it. Your pet demon is gone, your pitbull dead, and the elf out there can hit you with no trouble. I'm not afraid of you, and neither is the elf in the corner over there. If you surrender, you can be treated fairly and civilly until we determine who's in your pocket and how to give you a fair trial. If not..." she shrugs. "Well, you saw Black Sorrow. I've done enough autopsies to know what a neck bent like that does."

As she speaks, she activates the wand in her staff to knit together a few more of her wounds.

5-foot step: to J20
Standard Action: Use wand of cure light wounds in staff. [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-12, 12:32 PM
Flicking her fingers together softly, Aya draws on the magic in her glove, smirking at Larshon. Finally, the damned monk was dead, and if Larshon didn't give up, the next arrow would make her regret the choice.

Activate True Strike from glove.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 12:48 PM
Disdain clear on her face, Larshon channels another spell through her scourge, the flames turning black when they are infused with negative energy. "If you are not afraid, why is your voice shaking?"

The remaining priestess rushes off towards the back of the barn, past the fire to the open door of a small room.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/4839/barnl.png

'I'm not afraid' will not sound convincing when you're shaken in the same turn.

[roll0]
1 Fire, Inflict Serious Wounds [roll1] Will 16 halves
[roll2]

If this takes down Mirielle she will move to L22 instead of 5 foot stepping and intimidating

Jeff the Green
2013-03-12, 01:03 PM
"My body shrinks from pain like any animal's," Mirielle responds from disdainfully. "I am not afraid of you, Larshon. You should know the difference. I have nothing to fear from death, unlike you." She nods at Cael, and then at Jorran. "Take her," she says grimly before backing out of the doorway to join Aya.

Withdraw to K26.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-12, 01:04 PM
Though Jorran was breathing heavily and almost out of endurance, he nevertheless broke into a run. Larshon was a wielder of magic, not a fighter, and he knew that someone like her wouldn't outmatch someone like him in strength. Still relying on his hands rather than drawing another weapon, Jorran reaches for her, trying to grab her weapon-hand and immobilize her.

Charge, ending with a grapple attempt. End move at K20
Touch: [roll0] (+4 BAB, +5 STR, +1 Discipline Focus, +2 Charge, -3 Wave of Grief, -2 Shaken)
Grapple Check: [roll1] (Not 100% sure about this modifier. I'm not sure if Discipline focus and charge bonus apply, so I didn't count them, but I did count both Wave of Grief and being Shaken)

Last round of rage. Ends just before Larshon's next turn.

Sallera
2013-03-12, 01:06 PM
You're not worth letting live any more, Larshon. Glaring at the priestess, Aya summons her bow back into hand and opens fire. "Time for a repeat of the last act, Alhruar!" she calls. "It's your turn now."

Rapid Shot with normal arrows.

rypt
2013-03-12, 01:47 PM
Cael cannot see Black Sorrow fall, but hearing Mirielle refer to Stavra's "dead pitbull" fills him with a renewed sense of hope. With an end to the bloodshed finally in sight, he hauls himself over the grate before moving to close the distance between himself and the Loviatan.

Move action: Over the grate to M18.

Standard action: Move to L18.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 02:15 PM
"I know the difference, and I can tell your lie. Just like I can tell you fear the fire." Aya only scores a glancing blow, the second arrow failing to find the target with Jorran blocking her arc, and his attempt to grab the cultleader is thrown off when she pushes the edge of her shield against him. She focuses on Jorran, wincing for a moment when thick droplets of blood form on her weapon and then lashes out at him.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2827/barnn.png

[roll=Touch]1d20+7[roll] 1 Fire
From wand chamber, Inflict Medium Wounds [roll0] DC 11 Will halves
Blade of Blood [roll1]
[roll2]

rypt
2013-03-12, 02:45 PM
With no magic to drawn upon, Cael's only remaining recourse is blade and bow. Stepping to his right to draw Larshon's focus away from his wounded companions, he raises his sword above his head before cutting downward at the Loviatan's shoulder.

Move action: Move to K18.
Standard action: Attack Larshon.

Attack (including +2 flanking bonus): [roll0]

Frog Dragon
2013-03-12, 02:47 PM
Jorran's hand is forced aside by the Loviatan's shield, and suddenly she is on the offense again, sending him reeling with yet more spells. Weakened from the loss of adrenaline and blood, Jorran again tries to dodge away from the fight, pulling out a small bag as he does so

Double move to 26M, tumbling through the first one (at half-speed), and drawing a tanglefoot bag on the second.
Tumble: [roll0]

Sallera
2013-03-12, 03:13 PM
"Heal yourself if you need it, Miri. If she leaves the barn, she'll soon wish she hadn't," Aya says, pitching her voice low but not particularly caring if Larshon overheard. Either way, she'd get what she wanted, and she keeps up a steady barrage of arrows.

More Rapid Shot, still normal arrows.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-12, 03:17 PM
Oh, hells, Jorran.

With Jorran out of the barn, Larshon could focus on Alhruar, and the elf didn't have the strength behind his sword to take her down in any sort of reasonable time frame. Well, if there were any time to prove that she wasn't afraid of Larshon, this is it.

She charges Larshon with the front of her quarterstaff held low. With a crack she swipes her staff against the Loviatan's knuckles with and with another swipe wraps the scourge's tendrils around her staff, pulling it to the floor of the barn.

Full round: Charge disarm Larshon, ending at K20. Fate card to take 15, +4 from two handed, +5 attack, +2 charge, +2 flanking = 29.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 04:06 PM
The priestess keeps taking a beating from Aya and now Cael too, and Mirielle's sudden assault knocks the scourge from her hand. Accepting an opening she bends her knees to pick it up again, shield raised in defense, and with desperate fury she lashes out at Mirielle, channeling some of her last reserves into the attack. "Die already!"

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/181/barng.png

'A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can.' Half speed at the first move to have a better chance of avoiding AoOs is fine, but the second move is full, so 60 ft in all.

AoO on Jorran [roll0] [roll1] +1 Fire

she provokes an AoO picking up the weapon
[roll2] [roll3](Will 14 halves) +1 Fire [roll4]

Sallera
2013-03-12, 04:23 PM
Breathing a swift prayer of thanks as the swing goes wide, Aya answers with a flat denial. "No." Drawing the string back, she pauses briefly - savouring the moment, or merely checking her aim, it is difficult to tell - and looses a fatal shot.

Aya's not really interested in taking her alive any more... still normal arrows.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-12, 04:35 PM
Jorran runs at the Loviatan again, tossing the bag at her before leaping to the side to give Aya a clear shot.

Move to 24L (not into her threatened area, but only one extra increment for the bag)
Throw bag at Larshon
Ranged Touch: [roll0] (the -2:s for Sickened, Shaken and increment cancel out my BAB and dexterity)
Finally, sudden leap to the left, as far as the check carries.
Jump check: [roll1]

rypt
2013-03-12, 04:46 PM
Although Cael manages only to swing over Larshon's head as she ducks down to pick up her scourge, he recognizes that keeping the Loviatan off balance is his best chance at landing a blow. So it is that when Larshon shifts to her left, Cael moves with her, risking another lash of her scourge in order to place himself at her back once again.

Move action: Cael will move to M20.
Standard action: Attack Larshon.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-12, 04:50 PM
With Alhruar distracting Larshon, Mirielle again swipes at Larshon's fingers, trying to send her sword spinning to the ground so she can pick it up.

Disarm: [roll0]. If successful, pick up and 5' step to J20.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 05:34 PM
With another volley of arrows and a tanglefoot bag hitting her Stavra Larshon has finally enough and she throws her scourge down, raising her hands in surrender. "Yield! I yield. Have your victory, murderers." She breathes heavily, shame and exhaustion clear on her face.

Sallera
2013-03-12, 06:18 PM
Slowly, Aya draws back a final arrow. Now you yield? The Loviatan's damnable power had shielded her from a fatal blow; how much more convenient would it be otherwise? Aya's fingers tremble on the string as she holds the draw, her discipline closer to breaking than it had been in a long time as the desire for a swift ending wars with the need to avoid alienating her friends.

Look this way, Miri. Look this way... and nod. That's all I ask. But, of course, she wouldn't; wouldn't be Mirielle, otherwise, would she?

Jeff the Green
2013-03-12, 09:15 PM
Mirielle felt her face begin to turn red at the epithet. This creature before her was fouler than anything she had come across. She thought she had seen evil when she fought the undead in Ylraphon. She thought the homilies and prayers of the cloister had prepared her for her place in the world, helping usher souls out of the world to their rest. She thought she knew what justice was.

No. Larshon perverted justice as naturally as she breathed. She mocked mercy and then sued for it when she was beaten. She belonged nowhere but the Barrens of Doom and Despair, and Mirielle would usher her soul there.

"Stavra Larshon. You were accused of corruption, of torture, of depraved worship of a mad goddess, of murder, of consorting with demons and the ushemoi. What I have seen here has more than proved your guilt. There has only ever been one punishment for these crimes, and I will not see you pervert justice to escape it."

And with that pronouncement, Mirielle swung her staff at Larshon's head to execute the sentence.

Attack: [roll0] [roll1]
If she survives, pick up her scourge and 5' step to J20.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-12, 09:33 PM
Mirielle's blow is easily deflected, tears of fury welling in the eyes of her target. "You dare! You trespass on other's property, disrupt our peaceful ceremony, murder my friends, demand surrender and offer fair treatment but when I do you try to kill me in cold blood! By the gods above and fiends below, I name you a false servant of justice and curse your name into the Abyss. May your soul never find peace." She draws a dagger and with a swift motion plunges it into her own heart, in her dying moment spitting blood at her would-be killer in a last act of defiance.

Sallera
2013-03-12, 09:38 PM
Aya almost laughs, but it is a small, sad thing, not worth letting go. I think I misjudged you, Miri, a little. And then, gently, she relaxes the string.

Murderer, you say, Larshon? One such as you should recognize us better. A murderer isn't paid for their work. The proper word is 'assassin.'

Carefully lifting Sorrow's corpse and carrying it to the barn, making sure not to leave a trail from dragging it, Aya tosses the body inside, then glances at the fire and the back room. "Jorran, go see what that priestess is doing, would you? Miri, Alhruar, can either of you put out that fire? If not, we'd best get far from here - head for the forest - before it spreads, and leave the evidence to burn." Bending down, she checks Sorrow for anything of interest; the monk was unlikely to carry evidence of his Thayan dealings with him, but it couldn't hurt to look.

Damage: [roll3] + 1 electricity Ninja'd, unnecessary.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-12, 09:46 PM
"Oh, gods," Mirielle says softly. "How little she knew of death."

Without wiping the blood from her face, Mirielle throws down her staff and turns to Cael. "Would you and the others bring me Larshon's and Black Sorrow's bodies when you're done with whatever looting you have to do? I don't care about the others. Let them burn, if you want."

Then she leaves the barn and circles west to say farewell to the sun and the night's departed souls.

rypt
2013-03-13, 01:39 PM
Cael's initial shock yields swiftly to anger, disappointment and disgust. "Is this what you wanted all along?" he asks, looking from Loviatan to Kelemvorite and back again. "To see the crime perpetrated against the criminal? I had thought you better than this." Eying Mirielle with an expression of utter contempt, he practically throws his sword into its scabbard before picking up Stavra's body and carrying it back to the barn.

Sallera
2013-03-13, 02:06 PM
"Ahh, soak the string and take a knife to it, why don't you?" Aya mutters. This job had gone wrong from the moment they decided to go ahead with an open attack on private property.

Leaving the body for the moment, she waves Jorran toward the back room and approaches Alhruar, speaking quietly. "Try not to hold it against her. She's not usually like that; the whole plan to capture Larshon and get her into an uncorrupted court somehow was her idea. It's just, well..." she gestures at Alaister's headless corpse. "The fallen always make a mess of things when they go. We can talk about this later, but for now we've got to keep ourselves alive. We've got maybe two minutes before that fire draws attention, and that priestess in the back room's going to get herself killed by the smoke unless there's a window she ran out or something, so you should probably check on her. Either way, get Jorran to help you with Sorrow, Larshon, and Alaister; head for the forest as soon as you can, and try to stay out of sight. I'll go deal with Miri."

With a sigh, she leaves the barn behind; it had occurred to her that with the distance she'd kept, her hooded cloak, and the sun at her back, the one survivor of this mess wouldn't be able to identify her even if pressed, and she preferred to keep it that way. Certainly, she was associated with the others enough that one could guess, but still, it couldn't hurt. Following Mirielle's trail, she comes up behind her, placing a hand on her back. "No time for contemplation, Miri. That was very... practical of you, quite surprised me too, but that fire's going to draw all sorts of attention. We need to get out of here, make for the forest, and stay low for the night, and we've got about two minutes to get out of sight."

Frog Dragon
2013-03-13, 02:38 PM
"Murderers, huh?" Jorran mutters. "Hers was never the ground to judge from."

He looks at the bodies now dragged back to the barn. A clean kill, this was not. High-profile targets, collateral damage, the works. Most of Jorran's work within Luskan had passed without much of an investigation. This however... would spread far and wide. Did Mirielle says she needed the bodies? Jorran was no expert in the ways of clerics. Shrugging, he picks up his greatsword and walks over to the back room.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-13, 02:50 PM
Mirielle rises from her westward kneel and turns to her friends with grit teeth and set jaw. "Fine," she says. "The fire's far larger than I can handle, so let's just let it burn and consume the bodies of the cultists. They don't have any use for them, and we're best not letting anyone perform the divinations I'm going to try on the Larshon and Black Sorrow. Let Alaister burn too. I don't know anything about him, so it's not like we can return his body to his family. I'll carry Larshon, and Jorran can carry the monk."

She swallows and begins shaking as the adrenaline leaves her body. "Would one of you bring her here? I'd rather not go back in the barn. And my weapons?

TheFallenOne
2013-03-13, 03:03 PM
In the back room Jorran finds the blonde priestess trying to escape through a window, a task somewhat complicated by a large idol of Loviatar she is trying to take with her. The wide base of silver seems to give it some weight, and attached to it is the likeness of a ninetailed scourge, the Mithral strands each ending in a different gemstone cut into the shape of a small, barbed blade.

Upon searching Black Sorrow's body Aya finds the magical haversack he had taken from Jorran and inside is indeed a bag filled with gems.

so anything you take except Sorrow and Larshon?

Sallera
2013-03-13, 03:16 PM
"Alright, we'll leave Alaister. I guess he's not going to be identified without a head." Just to be sure, she takes his pack as well as Jorran's, stashes Mirielle's staff and Sorrow's in her quiver, and wraps Stavra's weapon in a length of cloth before stuffing it into Alaister's pack. Pulling her hood lower over her eyes, she makes her way toward the distant forest, trying to remain as inconspicuous as she can manage.

Yeah, we'll grab Alaister's haversack and Stavra's weapon; Miri and Sorrow's staves will fit in Aya's quiver. The rest of the stuff, we don't really have time to search, so we'll just leave it there.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-13, 03:24 PM
Jorran grabs at her leg, trying to pull her down while drawing a dagger with his other hand. He had heard Mirielle's mention of divinations, and if they carried Larshon and Black Sorrow off, they'd get all they were going to get. This one was just a witness. And none would be allowed to escape. Allowing his hands to flare up in a momentary flame, he moves to choke her.

Initiate burning blade.
Walk up to her, drawing a dagger.
Grapple. Assuming the debuffs have ran out at this point.
Touch: [roll0]
Grapple: [roll1]
Unarmed damage: [roll2]
Fire damage: [roll3]

TheFallenOne
2013-03-13, 03:35 PM
The priestess has no chance resisting Jorran's superior strength and his flaming hand burns into her throat. Her cry of pain ceases quickly and she collapses, one of the idol whip's strands bending as it hits the ground.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-13, 03:56 PM
Jorran drives his dagger into her throat to make sure she is dead and stands up, picking up the idol with the other hand. Picking at the jewels with his dagger, he attempts to quickly carve them out into the palm of his hand before throwing the idol into a corner. He sheathes the bloody dagger before walking up to Black Sorrow's corpse, attempting to toss him over his shoulder.

Coup-De-Grace the priestess: [roll0]

If Black Sorrow weighs less than 188.5 lbs, I can carry him alone and he'll be within my heavy load. And I'll still move at 30ft/round.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-13, 11:02 PM
Someone brings out Larshon's corpse—Mirielle isn't sure who; she's still shaking and her eyes are beginning to water—and Mirielle slings it over her shoulder and heads to the forest. For the first minute or so her connection to Kelemvor's power brings her out in front of her colleagues, but when it finally wears off she begins to slow down.

Assuming Larshon weighs less than 190 lb. with her breastplate, Mirielle's speed is 20'/round, with an additional 200 ft from Travel Devotion in the first minute.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-14, 08:12 AM
Your flight goes unnoticed it seems, and you reach a wooded area of small trees. Even well before you reach the first tree you step into wet foliage, carried far by the autumn winds. By now, the fire in the barn has spread to the roof, though not the entire building yet, and you can see the signs of your work burning in the night.

so you take Sorrow, Larshon, Alaister's bag but nothing else? Or did I misunderstand about Alaister's armor and the idol.

Sallera
2013-03-14, 11:34 AM
Aya pauses near the edge of the forest, pulling out her spyglass and scanning the road behind her companions before turning her gaze to the burning barn. "Fire started near the back of the building," she murmurs. "Signs of demon summoning, several bodies (injuries, likely dead before fire), one headless (sacrifice?). Idol of Loviatar found, somewhat damaged. Several valuables left untouched; suspect religious dispute or loss of control over called demon..." Nodding, she closes the glass. The arrowheads would present a slight complication, but surely some demons used such weapons. It was not, in the end, how she had wanted to do things, but that was how such things went. You adapted, got the job done, and did your best not to leave any evidence pointing to you.

Turning and leading the way further into the trees as the rest arrive, she eventually stops in a suitable spot and sets down the extra packs, tossing Jorran's back to him. "Looks like our pay's still in there, although you'll have to get your sword back from his house. We'll want to spend the night here, clean up, then circle around tomorrow and return to the city through a different gate. Actually, if one of us has some spare time, they could bring Magnus his share of those gems first, just to split up further." Sitting down, she begins rummaging through Alaister's pack, more out of curiosity than anything.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-14, 03:19 PM
Despite unable to see more than rough shapes at this distance it is clear the fire must have drawn attention by now, from the road as well as the estate itself, but if there are attempts to bring the fire under control they so far haven't been fruitful.

Alaister's bag, clearly one of the common magical haversacks, contains a couple ready-made disguises, various tools, a large supply of arrows and an unmarked leatherbound journal, well worn from use. A short inspection shows it's personal notes collecting various pieces of information, dating about four years back at the oldest entry. The handwriting though seems to change all the time, sometimes after a few pages, sometimes within the same sentence.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-14, 03:23 PM
Mirielle kneels down next to the bodies. She closes their disconcerting eyes and pulls a scroll out of her bag. After using it on Black Sorrow, she begins praying over the bodies.

That's gentle repose.

rypt
2013-03-14, 05:25 PM
By the time they reach the woods, Cael is already trying to forget what transpired at the barn. Dropping his backpack and an armful of weapons at his feet, he slouches down against the side of a tree, making a point to sit with his back to the billowing smoke.

After taking a moment to catch his breath, he begins to rummage through the cultist's weapons beside him. Finding the ripper, he takes hold of the blade-end and extends the haft towards Jorran. "I thought you might want to hold on to this.

"How's the eye?" he asks after waiting to see if the Luskanite accepts it.

Cael then observes Mirielle's spellcasting for a moment before turning to Aya. "I'm guessing the monk wasn't carrying much on him?"

Mirielle is casting gentle repose?

Sallera
2013-03-15, 04:03 PM
"Just Jorran's bag and his staff, I think. We do know where he was living, so we can try and get more clues to his Thayan dealings from there. If you have any clairvoyance magic, you might be able to take a look inside later, see if it's safe-ish to pay a visit."

Pulling a few arrows from Alaister's pack, Aya replaces the ones she'd used in the attack, then moves over to sit next to Mirielle. Setting down Mirielle's staff between them, she waits in silence, flipping through Alaister's journal until Mirielle finishes her prayers.

"Got a keepsake for you," she says, waving the journal. "I know you had Alaister looking into a few things, and it looks like he kept notes, so you ought to read this through."

Leaning in closer, Aya lowers her voice. "By the way, you were very committed today. Executing Larshon, whatever otherworldly favour you called in to save Jorran, even charging in at the end there instead of keeping yourself alive... you're not turning ruthless on me, are you?"

Frog Dragon
2013-03-15, 04:31 PM
Jorran regards the spear with his right eye, almost as if he did not realize that he could not see with a scar. He takes the spear, measuring it with his good eye instead. "I suppose this thing is going to be permanent," he says, holding the ripper by the midpoint of the haft. He hadn't really noticed a change in his ability to see. He brought one hand to the eye, touching the scar tissue. Normally, he would notice half of his field of vision was now gone. Now, he didn't see a difference. He put his hand over his left eye instead, and suddenly he was blind. "Sort of a dull ache," he says. The eye really was gone. Twisting in his armor, Jorran tries to find a suitable loop to carry the ripper in.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-15, 05:19 PM
Mirielle accepts Alaister's journal and stores it in her haversack. "I don't think so," she replies with a bitter smile. The tears that had streamed down her cheeks as they fled have dried but left stains. "I'd never met anyone so damnedly evil, Aya. Sure, some of my fellow clerics who had served under Kelemvor's predecessors were less than beneficent, but they never tortured or summoned demons. At least not in my presence.

"Do you know what that thing was? It was a wrackspawn. Souls who don't want to become petitioners can bargain with the baatezu and become devils themselves, but that's not what happened to that poor soul. It was one of the Faithless, and was sealed in the Wall, but was stollen by demons and tortured until it became one of them." Mirielle begins to shake in anger and recalled fear and pain. "No one could consort with one of those unless they were utterly beyond redemption. I couldn't let her twist justice again. I didn't care if I died doing it."

She shudders. "Jorran... I don't really know what happened."

Sallera
2013-03-16, 01:03 AM
"Good," Aya replies with a smile. "You're cuter when you're principled."

Leaning back, Aya recalls the incident that led to her formally joining Mystra's service, the inchoate taint of the Far on her target's magic, and the indiscriminate way he had sought to spread it; her face twists into a frown, and she sighs. "I can relate to that, in a way. Facing something that opposes everything you stand for, knowing you have no recourse but to eliminate it, and you can't possibly back down. But, Miri..."

Reaching over, Aya raps Mirielle playfully on the forehead. "Just 'cause you've found a cause you're willing to die for doesn't mean you shouldn't exhaust all your other options first. Back off when you need to. Take a moment to see what choices are open to you. You don't need to worry about giving your enemy a breather when I'm around, poking them full of holes. And it doesn't just apply to a straight-up fight. We do what we can to plan ahead, but there'll always be the complications, the need to improvise. It's hard to do that when your blood's up, and especially when you're feeling outmatched, but that's why we're not working alone. Just... remember that even when something absolutely must be done, that still doesn't mean you have to do it personally."

As the conversation turns to Jorran's survival, Aya leans over, looking up into Mirielle's face speculatively. "Hmmmm?" Flashing a quick grin, she returns to her normal posture. "Well, I guess we don't need to worry, then. Unless it happens again, at least."

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 09:40 AM
Mirielle returns Aya's smile with considerably less bitterness than her last one. "Gods, I hope it doesn't happen again. I swear, though, I'll join a paladin order if it will keep him from running away again."

She frowns. Aya had been a good ally, and, more importantly, a good friend. She was insightful enough to know something was off with Jorran's apparent resurrection, and deserved to know the truth. Dropping her voice to a whisper, Mirielle decides to take a leap of faith. "Aya, I wasn't exactly lying when I said I prayed to Kelemvor for a miracle. It's just that it wasn't just Kelemvor. Like I said, the Judge of the Damned isn't prone to answering prayers of that nature, and I wasn't exactly," she pauses, searching for the right word, "discriminating in who I sent my prayer to."

Sallera
2013-03-16, 04:54 PM
Resting her head on Mirielle's shoulder, Aya drops her voice to a murmur, still smiling slightly. "Well then, you have your pick of two questions, and neither's got an easy answer. Either 'who out there wants Jorran alive?' or, more interestingly, 'who out there finds you intriguing enough to listen when you call?'"

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 09:17 PM
"Yes, I'd figured that. I really hope it's the first one. This feels a lot like temptation, and, as a rule, the benevolent forces of the universe don't tempt. Much less someone who they think is on their side already."

She sits silent for a while until Aya moves her head. Then she stands and dusts off her hands before reaching into her sack and grabbing a large earthenware jug. "Okay, let's get these two buried," Mirielle says as she begins shaping the sand into the tools she desires. "It wouldn't do to have them above-ground if someone comes along. Jorran, Alhruar, why don't you gather anything of theirs we want to keep and stick it into someone's pack. Aya, help me finish these?" Some of the sand has slithered together and started to form the blade of a shovel.

So, if we're using the excavation rules in RotD, we need two people to get a Profession (miner) result of 15 to get a 10x2.5x2.5 grave done in two hours or 10 to get it done in four. Loose soil is a +5 bonus while clay or packed soil is +2. Mirielle has a +3, Aya +2, Cael +1, and Jorran +0. So apparently Mirielle should work in one spot while Cael helps Aya work in the other and Jorran, our strongest, sits around watching.

D&D is weird.

rypt
2013-03-16, 09:47 PM
"Perhaps not," Cael replies, managing a weak, but optimistic smile at Jorran's initial remark. "Although it is far beyond the skill of any healer I have ever met, there is powerful magic that can mend such wounds. It would be difficult, and perhaps expensive, but not impossible."

Pulling himself to his feet at Mirielle's request, he steps towards Jorran and extends a hand to help him up. "Let's get this over with," he sighs.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-16, 10:23 PM
Mirielle gingerly lifts the bodies—first Black Sorrow, then Larshon—and lowers them into the grave. Then she sings a dirge, unartfully, perhaps, but not poorly, as she shovels dirt over them and pats it down. "There. I'll come back to slow the decay of Larshon's body in the morning and then, Alhruar, if you'd come with me tomorrow night, we'll see what we can learn about their relationship with the Thayans."

Then she scoops a few shovelfuls of earth to produce a small hole, fills it with water, and scrubs the blood and dirt and tears off her hands and face.

Her work for the night finally done, she sighs heavily and sits down, her back against a tree. Sleeping next to the bodies of my enemies I can handle. But I hate camping.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-17, 10:02 PM
Despite the fact that Mirielle is half again as old as Jorran and probably less used to sleeping outside, she rises while he's still snoring. She hopes this is because she was still used to lauds at dawn and not incipient masochism. She did not need that in addition to the incipient rheumatism that appears to be poking in to say 'hello' this morning.

"Good morning," she says to the two elves. She looks around at the weather and qualifies her previous statement: "If it is a good morning, which I doubt.

"Should I wake Jorran so we can return to the city?"

rypt
2013-03-18, 06:15 PM
Mirielle finds Cael sitting cross-legged against a tree, grimacing as he rubs the back of his neck. "I've had better," he says dryly, a bruise on his hip and a welt on the back of his head having made for a fitful reverie. "Then again," he adds with a strained smile, counting himself lucky that these are the worst of his injuries, "I've also had worse."

"That's on you," he chuckles when she asks about waking Jorran. "He was looking a little rough last night, I'm okay giving him another fifteen minutes or so."

Ready to move on when you are.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-18, 09:39 PM
20th of Marpenoth

The city is as welcoming as ever, perhaps even more so from the perspective of someone who slept in the cold and wet outside. Only Aya was spared, her magical cloak prodiving versatile comfort, and she procures sugared tea, steaming hot, offering it to the less lucky sleepers.

At this early hour there are many more people leaving the city than entering, and the guards at the gate watch with bored expressions, though one of them doesn't fail to notice your condition. "Geez, what happened to you lot? There's an inn just five miles outside the gates you know. The coast of the Dragon Reach doesn't make for nice camping this time of year."

Jeff the Green
2013-03-18, 09:53 PM
"Oh, believe me, we know that now," Mirielle replies, rubbing her sore back and smiling ruefully. "But, on the bright side, I think I've filled my quota of unpleasant experiences for the month."

TheFallenOne
2013-03-18, 10:00 PM
"If that is so better stay out of the 'scales at night. Now carry on please, lot's of traffic coming the other way."

Shortly after, Aya splits off. "Gotta report to the temple. You know where to find me if anything comes up." She casually waves goodbye and disappears in the crowd.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 04:30 AM
Mirielle breathes a sigh of relief once they're out of sight of the guard. She's still sure that what she did was necessary, probably even right, but that didn't change the fact that under mortal law they'd probably committed murder. And later tonight she'd be abusing a corpse. Twice.

"Come by an hour or so after sundown," Mirielle instructs Alhruar. "I'll be done with my preparations by then and we can see what we can find out from Sorrow."

She takes her leave and heads first to purchase a scroll, and then back to her apartment to drop off what they'd scavenged from the Loviatans.

Hey, I managed to finish packing, post, and go to bed in time to sleep three hours before I have to leave! I wasn't expecting to manage even two of those.

The scroll's gentle repose, in case it isn't obvious. I left it off here in case Keeva's wondering what happened to Mirielle the previous night. Otherwise she'll drop off the loot, return to the makeshift grave, dig just enough to reveal part of Larshon's body, use the scroll, head back, take a bath, and then talk to Misti.

rypt
2013-03-19, 04:37 PM
Cael frowns at the gate guard's comments, and as they pass into the city proper, he waives a hand over his vest, invoking a simple spell to clean the dirt and mud from his clothes and hair.

"I'll be there," he nods. As they begin to go their separate ways, he adds, "Shall I give Misti an update?"

Cael casts prestidigitation.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 05:17 PM
"Ah, I will," Mirielle replies. "I'm pretty sure she doesn't know you were working with us, and I'd rather not spook her."

TheFallenOne
2013-03-19, 05:43 PM
Misti Marva's Moonlight Pawnshop

Upon arrival Mirielle has to wait about 10 minutes until Misti finishes talking to a man with a shaggy black beard, a low-cut shirt far too sparse for the season exposing most of his hirsute chest. He scowls upon leaving when he sees Mirielle, but then grins and touches two fingers to his red bandanna in mock salute.

"Hey Mirielle. How'd it go?" Misti asks once they are alone.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 06:18 PM
"Not well," Mirielle replies, her eyes downcast and her voice somber. "Larshon and Sorrow are dead, but so is Alaister. And it was messy. I imagine you've already heard about the fire outside the city last night."

TheFallenOne
2013-03-19, 06:31 PM

"Alaister's dead?" Her eyes widen, seeming rather saddened by the news. "Apart from certain quirks I really liked him, he was nice and entertaining in his own way. My condolences. So they met on the grounds of the Mortonbrace estate and you still attacked them, huh? Are you sure nobody saw you?"

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 06:54 PM
"Fairly sure," Mirielle says. "At least, they didn't follow us. We spent the night in the forest, and it should be pretty obvious to anyone who investigates that it was a Loviatan rite and that there was a demon involved, so that should discourage further investigation.

"Who are the Montbraces?"

TheFallenOne
2013-03-19, 07:34 PM

"A demon?" She is visibly surprised. "Even after everything I knew of her I didn't expect her to stoop this low, and isn't Loviatar a bit too, how should I say it, orderly for that kind of creature anyway?

The Mortonbraces are an old, but fairly minor family. Were always more into adventure and exploration and almost wiped out during the war. Their current Lord, Baron Riol... Was quite heartbroken with the death of his first wife, but the line lacked a male heir. His three daughters broke his legs by toppling a bookshelf on him and refused to let him be healed until he took a second wife, getting married still in his sickbed." She giggles, but it quickly subsides. "I guess that story loses some of its humor if one considers one of them might worship Loviatar, hrm."

remember to note your location when the party is split

Jeff the Green
2013-03-19, 08:35 PM

"Normally I'd say yes, but this one... Mirielle shudders involuntarily. "This one had something of a special connection to Loviatar's portfolio, and I gather that Larshon may not have been the most methodical of her followers. If you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about the particulars. It's not a pleasant memory, especially this soon.

"Do the Mortonbraces have much influence in the city? I mean, could one of them have protected Larshon from the law?" Mirielle's tone is perhaps a little more urgent than she realizes. She still feels the same certainty in the Justice of her actions, but some part of her must still want reassurance, or absolution.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-20, 11:37 AM

"No, they are not that influential... Far as I can tell the Paerindons and Longbottles were her most influential allies. The son of Lord Paerindon was one of her lovers and Lord Longbottle's brother owes her his life from when he was the keeper of the Light House. When we lost our fleet during the war the Golden Ball and Lasher fought off pirates more than once. Some others may not be her allies, but either don't care about the fate of the prisoners or prefer not to make corruption in the justice system public."

rypt
2013-03-20, 08:36 PM
Out and about --> Ravendark Castle

After parting ways with the rest of the group, Cael heads back to the Lucky Coin to check on his room and to grab some breakfast. Hungry as he is, he eats quickly, and then it's right back out again in search of a bathhouse. He finds one in Tlasbras, where he spends an hour so, giving himself a proper cleaning while also allowing himself a few rare moments of relaxation and a chance to recover from the events of the previous day. Once he's finished, he makes his way to the Office of the Watch, hoping for another chance to be able to speak with his sister.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-21, 01:19 AM
Mirielle is unsure whether to be relieved that her attempted execution *** murder was as justified as she thought or horrified that the city is so corrupt that a priestess of the Willing Whip might have so many allies. The mix of emotions is confusing enough to distract her, though, so she pushes them aside and tries to focus on why she came.

"I certainly hope her death will inconvenience them," she says. "In any case, I came to collect the reward and distribute it to Alaister's and my allies, and to make you an offer. I potentially have access to a source of information about Larshon's and Black Sorrow's activities. I'd be willing to sell you answers to whatever questions you want to ask, assuming my source will tell me, in exchange for whatever information you can find that might prove damaging to her friends. If I plan on making this city my home, I do not want it to be ruled anyone who counts Loviatans among their friends.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-21, 11:29 AM

"You'll have to wait for that reward a bit. I have to collect it from the families of her victims, and I'm certainly not rash enough to do that less than a day after her death. You shouldn't be so rash to oppose her friends either. This isn't Calaunt, she kept her allegiance secret. Ansberry Longbottle is a decent fellow, he is bound to her by a blood debt, not a similar character."
She mulls Mirielle's offer over for some seconds, biting her lower lip. "I'll think about it. I have to consider what potentially useful things she would have known."

Calaunt is home to the House of Scarlet Hooks, a large temple of Loviatar

Ravendark Castle

Cael's initial approach is turned away, instructing him to come back at sundown. The Chief Constable again personally guides him to his sister's holding cell. "You got off with a warning last time. But try any magic tricks again and you will find yourself in a cell too." The blond halfelf opens the iron door, the key turning loudly once he locks it again when Cael entered.
Liara is sprawled on the stone floor, absentmindedly doodling on a piece of parchment. Whatever she's drawing looks sort of like a wheel with chaotic shapes on the inside.

Frog Dragon
2013-03-21, 02:17 PM
Gowntown
After splitting up from the others, Jorran goes back to his apartment in Gowntown with his new gear, both to clean himself up and to stash his equipment away. He puts the backup sword into a cabinet, before starting to look for the raven.

"Raven!" he shouts. "Now what was that thing's name again?" he mutters."Korr!" Then he sees the raven on a table. He walks up to the bird, kneeling down to speak to the raven face to face. "You can understand me, right?" he asks. Then he shakes his head, remembering that even if it did, it couldn't respond. "I need you to find the Greycloaks. Barristan, or whoever. Need them to know that the Loviatans are out." He holds out his hand for the raven, letting it step on. Then he walks out of the door, and gently nudges it to fly. Hopefully that was how it worked.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-21, 03:04 PM
Gowntown

The raven caws twice, black eyes fixing on Jorran's. It takes flight, returning 30 minutes later with a note attached to the left leg. The colliseum, one hour.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-21, 03:17 PM

Mirielle nods at Misti's advice. "I don't do anything rashly," she says, but then remembers her discussion with Aya the previous night. "At least, I try not to. I don't yet have either the personal power or the friends I would need to move against any noble family, not even a weak one. And even when I do, I'll only hurt the ones who knew about her religious affiliations and helped her even so.

"Don't worry about getting the reward quickly. If any of my companions need the money right away, I can cover it, and I don't want you or our employers to get hurt because of your role in this. But if you can give me a close estimate of how much it will be, I'd appreciate it. I have some plans to make that depend on it."

TheFallenOne
2013-03-21, 05:15 PM

"800 gold, a thousand, somewhere in that order."

location tags...

Jeff the Green
2013-03-21, 07:50 PM
Misti Marva's Midnight Pawnshop

Mirielle nods. "Thank you. Would you send me a note when it's ready?"

With Misti's agreement, Mirielle heads toward the door but stops as she remembers two things. "I forgot to mention. I may have a harder time getting information from my contacts after tonight, so if you think of any questions, send me a note and I'll stop by an hour or two after sundown.

"Also, it seems Cybrarvain is deliberately targeting me, but finds me too difficult to deal with directly. The last fire you told me about killed an old friend of mine, and it's probably not too hard to find that I've come here before. Please be careful. And if there's anything I can do to help keep you safe, please let me know."

What time is it now? I'm having trouble estimating how long my off-screen stuff took.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-21, 08:53 PM
Misti Marva's Midnight Pawnshop

"Don't you worry, someone preferring to see me gone is nothing new." She gives a reassuring smile. "How did that happen though? Witnesses say the man dying was just someone passing by. So you mean the whole thing was a setup?

If you can I'd like to know her connections to the temple in Calaunt. Whether she has a will and what it says on the ownership of the ships would help me predict what might happen next, there are just too many variables. And any and all secrets of the Paerindons, be it allies, plans or the passwords to get past their golem."

Frog Dragon
2013-03-22, 01:05 PM
Gowntown --> Mortonbrace
Doing some quick mental arithmetic, Jorran deduces that the bird can't have taken more than 30 minutes to go there and back. That meant 45 minutes at least before the time given. He fixes himself a quick meal and eats it before leaving, confident that he could make it on foot in about 15 minutes.

Actually measured. At 40ft/round, it'd take ~12 minutes by air. The streets are pretty straight, so it shouldn't take much longer on foot.

Jeff the Green
2013-03-22, 01:35 PM
Misti Marva's -> Stormrime

Mirielle nods. "I think it was. I don't know how, yet, but that will be one of the things I'll be asking him when I catch him.

"I'll see what I can get from my source about your questions. I can't guarantee anything, but whatever I do get I'll let you know.

"Thank you for your help, Misti. I'll see you again soon, I hope."

After departing, Mirielle picks up a quick lunch and heads to the Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe.

TheFallenOne
2013-03-22, 07:20 PM
The Coliseum

The coliseum is easily the Bluff's largest structure, the huge oval, tiered building of sandcolored stone dwarfing the other nearby structures in this rather quiet residential area. Almost everyone passing through the city stops by here to give the coliseum a look, though less so now given the bad weather and time of day. It is said to be a breathtaking sight when they light up the building at night once per week.

Barristan, in a neutral black coat covering his entire body steps next to Jorran while keeping his eyes on the coliseum. "You can talk. Don't whisper, it draws attention."

Sign of the Quill and Scribe Shoppe

Hoaten Thee repeats his overbearing greeting, though his mouth freezes for a moment when he recognizes Mirielle but fails to remember her name. "Welcome! Welcome! How can Hoaten Thee be of service this time?" He wears bright green robes that seem to have been made for a much larger man, despite his own respectable size both in height and volume.