PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Nine ringed broadsword

Zubrowka74
2013-01-17, 12:48 AM
I had a magic item concept and I was wondering if there was any RAW backing for this or if it was homebrew territory.

The idea is to have a chinese inspired nine ringed broadsword with minor enchantment, +1 perhaps, but with the possibility to use magical rings on the back edge instead of the mundane sort. Maybee nine rings is a bit much but how about 2 or 3 ?

Also, would this be unbalanced, as in gamebreaking potential ?

Mystic Muse
2013-01-17, 12:49 AM
Kinda depends.

Honestly, I don't see the point of the 2 ring limit anyway. There aren't enough rings that are awesomely good that having one on each finger would be such a big deal. I'd let you use it in my campaign.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-17, 12:51 AM
I don't see a problem with wearing a pair of rings and simply fluffing it as part of your sword - perhaps allow three, but then only benefit from them when holding your weapon?

Tvtyrant
2013-01-17, 12:54 AM
I think it goes in the same area as the Hand of Glory, so I would price it accordingly. Maybe make it a +something property for normal weapons?

Looks like a +2 bonus for a single ring if it costs the same as a Hand of Glory. Maybe make it +1 per ring allowed? So a +5 Ringed weapon would allow you to use 5 rings on top of your hand rings.

Then you can Staffs of Rings, Bow of Rings, Etc.

...I just realized that this works way better for TWF then THF. Which is all to the good IMO, so I would do it as above anyways :P

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-17, 01:05 AM
I think it goes in the same area as the Hand of Glory, so I would price it accordingly. Maybe make it a +something property for normal weapons?

Looks like a +2 bonus for a single ring if it costs the same as a Hand of Glory. Maybe make it +1 per ring allowed? So a +5 Ringed weapon would allow you to use 5 rings on top of your hand rings.

Then you can Staffs of Rings, Bow of Rings, Etc.

...I just realized that this works way better for TWF then THF. Which is all to the good IMO, so I would do it as above anyways :P

I detect cheese here - just get a +1 weapon and get your wizard buddy to cast GMW on it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to buy a pearl of power/wand for him.

Unusual Muse
2013-01-17, 01:42 AM
Rather than having the rings be actual Rings, you could have them function like weapon/armor crystals or other similar modular magical attachments. If you wanted to run with the Wuxia theme you could even have the sword itself be a legendary item, with quests to recover each of the nine rings, each of which has a special power and a special challenge to overcome to obtain it.

doko239
2013-01-17, 02:12 AM
This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/ten-ring-sword) is what you're looking for.

Tvtyrant
2013-01-17, 02:17 AM
I detect cheese here - just get a +1 weapon and get your wizard buddy to cast GMW on it. Worst case scenario, you'll have to buy a pearl of power/wand for him.

Just write it up so that it doesn't automatically improve by being made into a +# weapon, it specifically has to be a Ringed Weapon +#.

So then you would have a ring and +4 to hit and damage from the GMW, as Lightning burst or other enchantments work.

Agent 451
2013-01-17, 02:29 AM
Page 115 of Arms and Equipment Guide has a Ringsword. You can place and receive the benefits of one ring extra ring with it.

Zubrowka74
2013-01-18, 10:29 PM
This (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/ten-ring-sword) is what you're looking for.

Thanks!

And thanks to Agent 451 for the 3E version!

I guess it's not a new concept then.