PDA

View Full Version : Triple Threat [OOC]

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Sliver
2013-01-17, 10:52 AM
Welcome and let the game begin! IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14544734#post14544734)

{table=head]Player|Character
Aldurin|Marculous Archibald (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=496504)
PersonMan|Airis (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=497071)
PSigner|Kalti
lostsole31|Opee
Archmage1|Eolande (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=498379)
DantieSilva|Milo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=547635)[/table]

Standard procedure, introduce your character however you wish, choose a speech color that's readable and doesn't make others want to kick babies and eat puppies.

Introduction post is mandatory, although even remaining silent is an option.

Rule 1 of Triple Threat: Have fun.
Rule 2 of Triple Threat: Unfortunately, this isn't Fight Club. So let's just have fun and try not to destroy the world? Well, not the real world, anyway. The game world might get destroyed.

PersonMan
2013-01-17, 12:25 PM
Could we get some interlinking between IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14544734#post14544734) and OOC? It's, in my experience, always helpful.

I'll nab myself Dark Red.

Sliver
2013-01-17, 12:27 PM
:smallconfused:

Could we get some interlinking between IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14544734#post14544734) and OOC? It's, in my experience, always helpful.

I'll nab myself Dark Red.

Like that?

Welcome and let the game begin! IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14544734#post14544734)

lostsole31
2013-01-17, 12:57 PM
Opee will Sienna.

PSinger
2013-01-17, 12:59 PM
Kalti will be purple.

So excited!

Aldurin
2013-01-17, 01:00 PM
Marculous will claim MediumTurquoise. And thanks for choosing me, since the character I made for this is one of my more favored concepts fluff-wise.

PersonMan
2013-01-17, 01:04 PM
Like that?

Ah, sorry, I missed that.

Anyways, intro incoming, although I think the description of Airis is a bit... inaccurate.

Sliver
2013-01-17, 01:05 PM
You are more than welcome to correct your character's intro if I've made any mistake.

lostsole31
2013-01-17, 01:08 PM
*facepalm*

I always read OOC first, and I did so when I chose my color. Red is the usual DM-NPC color. Then I saw you have Sienna.

Hmmm ... Opee will be DarkOliveGreen.

PersonMan
2013-01-17, 01:58 PM
How...romantic.

Aurelians, what can you do?

Anyways, this seems like a bundle of fun already.

Say, would we know much of anything about the Continent of Shades apart from "dark" and "everyone dies there"?

Aldurin
2013-01-17, 02:00 PM
Aurelians, what can you do?

Anyways, this seems like a bundle of fun already.

Say, would we know much of anything about the Continent of Shades apart from "dark" and "everyone dies there"?

It's full of sick swag from all the peeps' that die there?

Sliver
2013-01-17, 02:02 PM
Nobody knows much of the Continent of Shade. That is the reason it's been named so. Only that it exists and nobody came back. Few at all know how to get there, none of them actually did so themselves. Because those that did, never returned.

casualcryptic
2013-01-17, 05:05 PM
Hey gang. Glad to be aboard. I have however been walking in the rain all day so I'm feeling a bit bleh.

Hmm... how about a shade of Blue

Archmage1
2013-01-17, 05:39 PM
So long as Dark Orchid is not too close to purple, Eolande will go with that. After all, the rest of her character is basically that color.

And thank you for selecting Eolande. If it turns out that wizard is OP, I can nerf it further than I was already planning to.

Also: Disguise check, since Eolande is not all that interested in everyone knowing that she has wings. Buffed by Disguise Self
10(spell)+7(base)+5(similar)-2(different race)
[roll0]
(yes, I am aware that the disguise self duration is pretty short.)

Archmage1
2013-01-17, 06:19 PM
Also, if wanted, using conceal spellcasting, so sleight of hand rolls
charm person: sla[roll0]
Mage hand: wiz[roll1]
And a minor placement thing: Eolande will keep clear of those wearing metal armor as much as possible, as it causes her pain.

Aldurin
2013-01-17, 06:27 PM
Also, if wanted, using conceal spellcasting, so sleight of hand rolls
charm person: sla[roll0]
Mage hand: wiz[roll1]
And a minor placement thing: Eolande will keep clear of those wearing metal armor as much as possible, as it causes her pain.

"Eolande, why haven't you tried the chain mail I made for you? I promise I make the pattern so it doesn't pinch." Marculous says with a pleading eagerness :smalltongue:

casualcryptic
2013-01-17, 06:39 PM
For lack of more interest at the moment for mundane gear I've thrown Oz an adventurer's kit.

Archmage1
2013-01-17, 06:51 PM
"Alas, the weight of it interferes with my magic. Otherwise, I would be glad to wear such a fine example of craftsmanship."
[roll0] bluff
(hoping to use bluff to cover up partial truths, seeing as I was planning on having Eolande stick to the truth only)

If Marculous tries to persuade her to touch it, just for a moment, to feel the true value of the fine craftsmanship.

Eolande attempts to politely decline the offer. When you press it, she deftly evades any contact with the armor, wincing in pain as it comes near her. When you grow sick of waving the armor at her, and just toss it, she jumps back, almost like lightning.

Of course, there is another reason: STR 4. Apparently, taking a race, and then a template, that drop str results in low strength. Still, 3 penalties to con, so no worries. Con 8 on a d6... always fun, right? Especially with faerie mysteries initiate.

Also, I failed to get a disguise kit, so that has been added.
Also: Would it be possible for feats that boost the effect of enchantment spells to apply to her SLA's where they are enchantments?

Archmage1
2013-01-18, 07:19 AM
Was the mage handed gem real, or fake?

Sliver
2013-01-18, 08:43 AM
Ah, from your wording I thought you didn't go through with it. Please also write the mechanical actions you're taking in a spoiler.

From what you can tell, it looks real.

casualcryptic
2013-01-18, 11:29 AM
Rolling a sense motive + Inspiration against Mr. Octopus, as Oz doesn't trust anyone who claims to be a representative of the Jackal.

[roll0]

Sliver
2013-01-18, 11:39 AM
Besides whatever you might feel, you don't pick up any reason to be suspicious of Octo's act.

Just to be clear, Sense Motive doesn't determine how you feel towards something. Just because you perceive something in a certain way, doesn't mean anything besides that. You can still suspect Octopus as whatever you want, or the Jackal actually wanting to steal the world. Up to your character.

Diplomacy won't obviously be used as is. It will take a bit more effort than a minute and a roll to change someone's attitude towards you. Diplomacy is for actual deals.

While at it, Nat 1 and Nat 20: They aren't treated as automatic anything. You get -10 or +10 respectively. With skills as well. No crit fumbles. But I will be giving battle a more cinematic feel with actions having more effect than just damage, depending on environment and description, as well as the rolls.

Hope that's fine with you all, but I'm always open to suggestions and discussion on how I handle things.

casualcryptic
2013-01-18, 11:46 AM
Eh, fine with me.

I'll probably be rolling a lot of sense motives over the course of the game, but Oz isn't a diplomancer anyway. Quite the opposite actually. :p

lostsole31
2013-01-18, 12:35 PM
Opee isn't a "diplomancer," but it's one of his top skills, and he can actually do quite well when he puts his mind to it.

What might Opee know about the Eternal Stop?
K: Geography [roll0]

"The Eternal Stop?! Sounds exciting! Umm, what is it?"

casualcryptic
2013-01-18, 12:47 PM
I don't recall where I first heard that term. I use it to describe any character that has a high charisma bonus, full ranks in diplomacy, and all three synergy bonuses, or some combination of these alongside leadership or spells which affect the psyche.

I haven't actually looked at any of the other character sheet so I have no clue if anyone in the party fits that description. But usually in triple gestalt at least one character will because triple gestalt bard diplomancers are silly fun and easy to build. The only reason Oz doesn't have good charismatic skills is because he has lots of choices and I like the idea of having a genius who can't actually communicate his intelligence well all the time.

Just having maximum ranks in diplomacy doesn't really qualify, though diplomacy is easily the most easily broken skill in Core dnd if you follow the rules straight regardless. I actually kind of like that though. It gives Bards something to do while the full mages are bending the fabric of the universe.

Archmage1
2013-01-18, 05:28 PM
But the mages are bending the universe at the whims of the level 1 warlock, with a diplomacy skill in the 20's(easy to do)

Eolande also has bluff, if that counts as a diplomacy skill. She also has a 12 in diplomacy and intimidate, with no skill ranks.

Also: usually, with gestalt, only one prestige can be entered at a time. Since we are tristalt, does that apply, or can we enter 2 prestige classes at the same time?

PSinger
2013-01-18, 09:50 PM
So many people try to use Bluff interchangeably ... Bluff is not a diplomacy, it's bluffing, but the DM can suss out how that is. +12 is pretty rockin' for 3-rd level. Now, if only we can get you out of your "mystery elf" shell to actually use it.

Besides, the best diplomacy is the bigger gun. :smallbiggrin:

Archmage1
2013-01-18, 10:51 PM
Now, mystery elf shell does not include not using skills. More personal stuff.
and +12 with no skill ranks. Advantages of a cha 22...
And no, the best diplomacy is charm person. Wait... at will sla... :)

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 02:28 AM
Nah, can be dispelled and if it's noticed it will make people angry. Diplomacy on the other hand is a skill, and will (almost) never piss people off because they realize that "hey your trying to get me to like you!"

Also, it's easier to defend against charm person than high diplomacy. O.o Go figure. High diplomacy is for getting the king to move his armies, charm person is for getting the big dumb npc fighter to attack things for you.

lostsole31
2013-01-19, 02:41 AM
... charm person is for getting the big dumb npc fighter to attack things for you.
Actually, that's not even true. Just because he's friendly doesn't mean he'll fight for you ... that would be Helpful, not Friendly. The spell automatically makes them Friendly, but Sliver already mentioned that Diplomacy (and I imagine, by extension, similar mood sways by mundane means) will not be a simple cut-and-dry number.

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 02:51 AM
Actually, that's not even true. Just because he's friendly doesn't mean he'll fight for you ... that would be Helpful, not Friendly. The spell automatically makes them Friendly, but Sliver already mentioned that Diplomacy (and I imagine, by extension, similar mood sways by mundane means) will not be a simple cut-and-dry number.

You would think that, but the rest of the text suggests otherwise.

You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldnít ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing.

In any case, Sliver's ruling is homebrew. I thought it was evident that I was speaking of the rules prior to home rulings.

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 10:45 AM
All you need to do is win the opposed charisma check, possibly with a bluff to reduce the risk of the actions suggested...

Besides, if it really is a long term issue, there are, as you pointed out, other methods to success.
Edit: is anyone going to respond to the sudden appearance of giant butterfly wings?

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 11:17 AM
Oz has his eyes closed so he's (probably) not aware.

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 12:40 PM
Also: Something that I really should have rolled IC, but...
[roll0] conceal spellcasting: to conceal the casting of the charm person.
(note: I was intending on her eyes glowing purple when she casts an enchantment spell: Any issues with this?)

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 02:59 PM
Well, I had some time to kill, so I decided to plan out my items somewhat.
Any opinions?

Items(To get later)
Warlock's Scepter(8305)
Rod of eldritch power(complete mage, 127)(4, 16, 36, 64)
Chaucible of Fell Power(8k for 1d6, 18k for 2d6)
Hat of int(4, 16, 36)
cloak of cha(4, 16, 36)
Gloves of Dex(4, 16, 36)
vest of resistance(1, 4, 9, 16, 25)
Ring of Arcane might(20)
Ring of Enduring Arcana(9)
Quicksilver boots(3500)
Third Eye Penetrate(8k)
Codex Advocare(+1 least invocation)(20k)
Robes of the Grey Archmagi(75k)
Vest of the Archmagi(200k)

@Silver: Can we enter 1, 2, or 3 prestige classes simultaneously?

Sliver
2013-01-19, 03:30 PM
Oh, right, that question has been around for a bit... Should have addressed it... :smallredface:

Prestige classes are banned.

Nah, not really. You can take all sides prestige. Of course no single feature can be upgraded more than once per level. And it's not an open invitation to cheese it up. :smalltongue: And there shouldn't be a reason for you to highly optimize things. I have a tendency to give non-standard awards from time to time...

So... Anyone here has some interesting stories from previous games?

One of the games I DMed had a player make a warforged made out of cloth and called Ragman and had a vulnerability to fire. He was hundreds of years old and lived most of the years in the sewers of a single town. Part of the quest the characters embarked on took them to the frozen north where they never been to before. When they came into their first destination, a church, that player was quite surprised to find out Ragman was worshiped as a deity. :smalltongue: He began to argue with the head priest that he isn't worth being worshiped, but the priest made a few good points.

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 03:45 PM
Well then, is this an acceptable build choice for after level 5?
Ultimate Magus//Mindbender(filling in the gaps)//Custom PRC
The Custom PRC

Fluff as Wild Soul(complete Mage)
full caster advancement for warlock
1(stacking dr 1/cold iron
2(Spellblast)
3(+10 to base speed)
49Dr 2/cold Iron)
5(+1 illusion DC)
6(Eldritch Spellweave)
7(+1 enchantment dc)
8(Dr 3/Cold Iron)
9(+2 dc of fey SLA)
10(Dr 4/Cold Iron)

Aldurin
2013-01-19, 04:03 PM
So... Anyone here has some interesting stories from previous games?

All doors are assumed to be locked until shenanigans ensue from attempting to break them down (best result was when I was playing a barbarian and I accidentally gibbed a kobold on the other side of the doors to a lighthouse. This was right after it was established that throwing the party gnome at the top of the lighthouse would not be an effective method of entry.

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 04:13 PM
Amusing Stories:
We were playing a more or less standard heroes save the world type campaign. At least, from the DM perspective. The characters were CN, LN, and LG.
After some minor shennanigans, we beat up a tribe of frost giants(standard, but with the feat that adds con to will)(We were an e6 party, 3 man)
So, we proceed into the dungeon, fighting and wrecking stuff as we went, and eventually reach a large ice cavern. It was quite cold, so we used the decanter of endless water to make bridges to get to the two openings in the walls. No sooner than we reach the second one, a dragon(Mature Adult White), shows up, and demands the plot critical item we had. So, Glibness enhanced bluff, we are able to convince him that we don't have it, and what he is smelling is a trap laid by a horde of angry pixies.
So, we descend further into the dungeon, and manage to get a wish, so we promptly wish for a 4th level spell slot for the DN and Beguiler. The Swordsage asks for a guide to the dungeon we are in. So, we continue to descend, and encounter a horde of dwarves fighting a demon. Somewhat sadly, at least to the DM, we manage to glibness bluff the demon into giving us another wish in exchange for his life. We wish for another 4th level slot, which, with versatile caster, gave us a 5th level spell. The DM is rather horrified by this, as cloudkill and dominate person basically break the game, so he thinks about it, and has us roll up new characters.
We are now trying to save the world from our former characters, the heroes. An unexpected twist.
(yes, I am not that good at writing stories, and this was a long one.)

Other fun things
Break into a vault, and manage to convince the guards that my character(a spellthief) is carrying a demon possessed kitten that is going to kill them all unless they give him the contents of the vault

Persuade an inquisitor that chickens are the source of all evil. He was chicken infested.

lostsole31
2013-01-19, 06:11 PM
Sliver, I have made no adjustments whatsoever to my sheet, such as the bonuses from either psionic power or noting that bow is in hand. I am waiting for the word from you to see how much time passes. That may well affect AC/ saves if you conduct ambush without knowing the values during a surprise round.

PSinger
2013-01-19, 06:16 PM
Rus just called me to look at the post. I don't have time to go through Kalti's full deal because I'm on the phone, but if Oz wants to do what Opee ordered suggested, he'll be ready to swing him out and around.

Actually, visually, that is pretty cinematically cool. :smallcool:

When I get home, I also have to go onto the recruting thread to see what melds I had set up for him. I didn't update the Kalti's sheet, and I don't want to "choose as I need them" for this battle unless Sliver says that's cool because of type of expected travel.

PersonMan
2013-01-19, 07:16 PM
Switched out my Rapid Assault feat for Extra Readied Maneuver, since it's still before combat and I realized that it's not all that good a choice for Airis, since she'll probably start combat with ranged attacks.

Therefore I now have Steely Strike readied, in addition to the others.

EDIT: Oh, and nix the readying last post, we have 1 minute, not 10 like I somehow thought...woops.

EDIT 2: Final last minute change: Readying Crusader's Strike over Steely Strike, traded CS for Charging Minotaur.

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 07:43 PM
I've been out all day today (I watched Les Miserables and, as a person who wants to be a writer himself, I found it to be disgustingly good)

Haven't read the posts IC since I usually prefer to catch up in the OOC first (And let's be honest, there is usually more OOC than IC to catch up on).

That being said, I do have a story or two. Let's start with this one.

I was playing a goliath barbarian / fighter mercenary who was acting as guide for a group of would-be heroes. Our group was trapped in a town because of an invisible magic barrier. I should mention now that my Goliath, whose name was Vlad, had a strong hate for all things Magic. We traced the magic barrier back to the well in the center of town. The other characters couldn't figure out how to get down, where Vlad (who had maxed out skills in climb and purchased climbing equipment as a character point) proceeded to climb down. Every other member of the party had 0 or negative modifiers on climb because as we all know, it's a very frowned upon skill. Keep in mind this was before propper team-building kicked in so I ended up having to carry everyone down, minus the mage who levitated, one-by-one.

Well, me and Mr. Gnomemage killed the minotaur at the bottom of the well because it attacked me before I could get back up. After that the group treated Vlad (who has negative modifiers in charisma and acts it out) as the leader of the group and it basically became Vlad and friends.

EDIT: Also,
My character will probably end up looking something like this.

Duskblade 4 / Chameleon 10 / ??? 6
//
Factotum 20
//
Exoticist 2 / Warblade 7 / ??? 11

The ??? are where prestige classes are likely to show up, but the specifics are still in the air, since there are things I desire in Oz, and they only require so much. Considering all martial classes get martial progressions I was considering Exotic Weapon Master from here (http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/exotic-weapon-master) for the Martial side. I'll probably stumble upon something to fill up the rest sometime down the road.

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 10:01 PM
Also, I'm assuming the carriage has an open front at this point since it was never said explicitly. If it doesn't I'll need to modify my character's response.

PSinger
2013-01-19, 11:00 PM
Sliver, tell me if I'm wrong, but ...
spellcraft to id defensive screen
Still can't use a skill (Psicraft) untrained beyond a DC 10, and it isn't a spell (Spellcraft), so you could get a 70+, and the best you could figure is that it is a shield-like effect SLA. At the most, that it might be some type of mind power/ psionics, but the name at best would still be shield, probably, for lack of knowing what to really call it.

Even with spell-psionic transparency (and it is game balance to always have that) for the actual effect, the skills are different in noting actual determinants. Of course, the screen/shield are so related, that they might as well be one and the same (but the psionic version doesn't stop magic missiles). Probably, the only time there would be an easy name-version, and then only when you can see a physical manifestation, are those powers that are listed as "x, psionic".

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 11:02 PM
I was going off of Opee's post.
I might not be able to recognize the source, but I can recognize it as a shield like effect.
Or we could just use psionics/magic transparency, and save a lot of trouble.

PSinger
2013-01-19, 11:06 PM
*ninja'd*

See above edit. S/P transparency is only for the effects of spells, not the recognition of spells/powers .... though, yeah, as above, it's still obvious as a shield-like effect. The psience (see what I did there?) is immaterial to understanding its effect due it being so similar to a common 1st-level spell. (Though the lack of components makes it much harder to ID, possibly because the shimmer is more game-fluff when the effect is actually invisible.)

Archmage1
2013-01-19, 11:20 PM
Strength... yea...
Kinda dumped that to half-court fey, and grey elf.
a 4 is not too bad... right?
On the brighter side, 20 dex, int, 22 cha.
on the less bright side, 8 con, after eating a -6

casualcryptic
2013-01-19, 11:55 PM
Complete Disclosure, Oz ways around two hundred and twenty pounds. Oz's equipment however weighs around 38 pounds. Not counting his sack of survival crap which he obviously doesn't need at the moment.

EDIT: But I decided his weight more or less on a whim. I'll go look up a more accurate weight now since it's suddenly relevant.

Aldurin
2013-01-20, 12:02 AM
I thought weight went by anorexic, skinny, thin, medium, wide, fat and obese.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:05 AM
Well, I went for the anorexic weight, at 89, on a 5'5" female, with no strength, and no constitution, and a trait that states she is thin.
I was going for almost Ethereal, but hey...

and... she is 3 pounds below RAW. Hey... you learn something every day.

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't know, but according to a random (but somewhat personalized) lean body mass calculator, Oz should weigh around 154 lbs based on his height, age, sex, waist size, and muscle mass. lol, whatevs. Works for me.

Let's go with that. Oz with his weapons and armor weighs in at 192"

For posterity, I used this (http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus) to calculate my weight.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:08 AM
I suppose, if I am going to do height and weight by RAW...
Weight = 80+ [roll0] * 10
Height = 4'5" +[roll1]
5'3", and 90 pounds
That, plus her total lack of equipment(other than a haversack), brings her up to... 97 pounds.
(yea, I might be slightly bored)

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 12:12 AM
I didn't even bother with a haversack. All of the nice things that Oz would want were way, way outside of his price range.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:14 AM
Same here. I did post a list of items desired though. Admittedly, the chances of getting them is minimal, but I can hope.

The haversack was the one thing in the price range.
Otherwise, I would have gone with otyugh holed iron will(which would have been really easy to stick in my background)

Edit: in retrospect, I probably should have gone with the iron will, and if Silver would allow it, I would change to that

Aldurin
2013-01-20, 12:20 AM
Oh right, that reminds me that I can craft a Field Provisions box so I can put my crafting reserve to use. I'll get started on that after this encounter.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:22 AM
Food might be a good thing to have, especially on a long journey.

Aldurin
2013-01-20, 12:44 AM
Food might be a good thing to have, especially on a long journey.

Yeah, and if it's possible I could use some Aid Another when making the UMD check for the item (it's a DC 23 and my modifier is 9, 14 with buffs), since I only get two chances to make the check.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:47 AM
Well, Eolande would be happy to help. Even willing to loan you her tool of UMD. The only way she would fail the check is on a nat 1 for aid another.
So, provided you offer to feed her, she would help. 16 modifier, with tool

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 12:51 AM
I skipped out on use magic device for the time being. I'll probably pick up later (and with a vengeance) but I was more interested in getting some of the basic athletic / acrobatic skill synergies set up first.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:55 AM
Yea... things Eolande is not going to be good at: Anything that is physical.
Although, I suppose I could use Balance.

Then again, I need to place skill points to get to mindbender. At least intimidate is not cross class.
Every time, I think: Beguiler has lots of skill points. I should have enough, right?
Every time: Nope. you need the stealth and perception, so -4, need concentration, spellcraft, arcana for prestige, so -7, bluff is always a blast, so -8, umd is just needed, so -9, sleight of hand makes hiding spells doable, so -10.
That leaves me with 2 spare points per level. Not a lot.

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 01:00 AM
I'm working off of 11 points per level at the moment, but that will improve to 13 during the 10 levels I spend as a chameleon. It helps that factotums can just throw a couple of points in skills and then blast them with intuition and still be useful. Fun skillmonkey class.

EDIT: I only just now realized that I have avoided more or less all of the typical power skills aside from tumble and (arguably) knowledge (Nature)

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 01:02 AM
Yea... ive got 12, although I think that will be dropping to 8 after level 5.
Still, my amazing stats for the skills that I do use should be handy.
And if I stop putting points into spot and listen(which makes sense, since I can't compete), I go up to 4 extra per level, which is plenty

Edit: Power skills... yea.
have: spellcraft, arcana, nature, concentration, move silently and hide, UMD
Second tier: sleight of hand, spot, listen, bluff

Power skills without ranks, with a decent end result: Diplomacy, intimidate(both at 12)

Skills that are more or less useless(at least, in Eolande's hands)
perform(sex)(fluff), sense motive(no other bonuses)

PSinger
2013-01-20, 06:21 AM
Here's a more specific re-look at Kalti, based on adventuring overland (as the description given before was random ... and didn't make sense ... but was needed to get something out there for the initial). These are in addition to what was already described as his "base human form" in the beginning of IC.

A rough-looking garment fits over his armor and looks as though it has been made of coarse brown fur, but it displays obviously magical features. The shirt seems to shift and move on its own, and it fades into a barely corporeal mist at Kalti's loinclothed waist. Most disconcerting of all, patches of the garment seem transparent, as if they have temporarily shifted to some strange elsewhere. Because different parts of the garment appear phased out at different times, these patches of incorporeality seem to roam over the surface of the shirt.

He wears a semi-solid mask resembling the head of a steel-plated bull, complete with long, arcing silver horns. (However, the horns seem very insubstantial.) The mask's eyes are empty black pits.

There is blue-white fur that seems to enhance his arm and chest muscles. It extends from his fingers to form ghostly claws that, despite their insubstantial appearance.

To add to the last, every one of Kalti's limbs - real and semi-substantial (8 total - 2 arms, 2 legs, 4 other), seem to have an extra digit. This last becomes apparent to Oz especially when he gets swung around.

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 07:12 AM
Great. I can just see a grappling contest now between Kalti and Marculous, each trying to get a better hold against the other while fending off offending arms.

Sliver
2013-01-20, 10:17 AM
Alright, I'm going to be straight with you. I have given my glasses to get new lenses. Which would take over a week. Now, I'm obviously not blind... While I can do blind typing, I'm not that good. But looking at the screen for too long is unpleasant.

So until I get them back, I'm forced to ask your forgiveness, but posting rate will be reduced to once every day or two. So the expected combat won't happen until tomorrow.

Again, sorry. :smallredface:

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 11:02 AM
@Silver...
Aww...
and here I was going to demonstrate the other awesome thing about Eolande: Massive Init.

And, since I, unlike the others, am somewhat lazy at times, image of Eolande(mostly)
(at least, when it lets me put one in

http://drakonis.org/uploads/7/v/0/7v0ng7m0e3/2010/09/21/20100921160956-6544167b.jpg

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 11:23 AM
So, a question, to all:
Seeing as the combat is delayed, should we have a conversation, between characters, to perhaps, better introduce them, and their backgrounds?

and...
[roll0] init
Somehow... Somehow, I think Eolande is going first here.

Sliver
2013-01-20, 11:25 AM
If you want, you can start a chat IC, but it is going to be in the time it took you to reach the ambush zone... You can also keep it going along with other posts in spoilers, if you decide to go with it.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 11:33 AM
Yep, alas, starting it would probably end up in Opee's hands, as she seems to be the most talkative.

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 11:44 AM
Bad eyesight sucks!

Stop twitching eye. Go away floaters. Urgh!

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 11:47 AM
I suppose I am "lucky" in having eyes that have no issues beyond not seeing properly at long range(anything > 1 foot from my face), but glasses fix that.

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 12:04 PM
I would never consider myself lucky to have a disability, but it could always be worse. I think as long as your mostly functional, then things are going pretty swell by comparison to other things.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:07 PM
So... if you are a floating brain in a jar, how can things get worse?

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:07 PM
You could have a tumor...

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:12 PM
But here is the question: You are a brain floating in a jar. How does a tumor make that worse? I imagine that death would be nifty for you.

How about: The jar you are in is being used as a lemonade drink?

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:26 PM
Better than a urine jar... Could happen...

Gah, took me a while to adjust to glasses, now I need to be over a week without? :smallmad:

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:28 PM
Yea, going without the glasses kind of sucks. My insurance gets me a new pair each year, so I have several back-ups handy, which is occasionally useful.

Ok, so if you are a brain in a urine jar, how can things get worse(note: we are looking for more amusing than realistic)

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:36 PM
Alright, here's the scenario: You are a brain, floating in a jar of urine. Suddenly, you gain the sense of sight. You can see the wonderful world again, even if it is through a spectacular shade of yellow. It doesn't matter! Oh, the sensation is so wonderful.

Suddenly, it all goes black. You didn't even have a chance to experience the wonders of the world before it was all taken away. It hurts. Ow! You are being cut! The jar fell and broke, pieces of glass enter your entire body. The areas that are being stimulated by the broken shards only cause you to convoluted in pain. But don't worry, someone notices it and picks you up, putting you into a new jar of piss.

You then feel poking of a stick. It's unpleasant, but you had worse. But suddenly, a scalpel is cutting through your entire being, ripping you apart. It's so painful words cannot begin to describe. You are thrown away into the trash, forgotten.

Oh, how you wish you were entirely forgotten. A crow notices you and carries your broken mess into a random nest. It's poking you in an odd pattern, causing very random images and sensations to overflow you. But what you really feel is burning hate. For now you face the eternal damnation, without a way to escape, of watching Twilight.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:39 PM
ok. You win.
*Runs away in terror*

So, in memory of this auspicious day, can we, at some point, fight a brain in a jar?

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:41 PM
>.>

<.<

v.v

^.^

Maybe? :smalltongue:

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:51 PM
Just the good old random question. It almost certainly would not fit in(at least, I, the individual with the character based around enchantment, hope it does not. I definitely have the wrong character for a undead game

I will, however, state this: this ooc bash is probably requiring more screen time than starting the combat would. if prolonged screen looking is the issue, handwrite what you want to say, and then type it up, without looking at the screen.
Then again, I may be wrong on that

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:54 PM
My handwriting is awful and might cause me more annoyance than a screen. I rather man up and do it yesterday after I've rested up a bit.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 12:55 PM
if you can do it yesterday, I would be extremely amazed.

Sliver
2013-01-20, 12:59 PM
Eolande dies. Better luck next time.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 01:03 PM
Nah... she charms the rest of the party into covering her retreat.
winning opposed cha checks tend to be easy vs PC's, as most will dump cha, and she does have a +8 modifier...

Sliver
2013-01-20, 01:04 PM
Reality warps around Eolande, preventing her retreat and putting her in the middle of the positive energy plane with no way to leave. Soon, Eolande will explode with life energy.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 01:11 PM
Eolande cuts of her left arm... somehow, and climbs into her haversack
(left arm should lose enough weight to fit, only need 10 less pounds)

Sliver
2013-01-20, 01:14 PM
XD Nice. Now, how long can Eolande survive like that? She will have to open the sack from time to time in order to breath, and that will be enough time to get some more hp. Even if Eolande keeps on injuring herself, I'd imagine she'd die from thirst, as she doesn't have create water prepared and can't rest for 8 hours without the need to open the sack for air...

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 01:20 PM
Well, since she takes the effects of the plane on the beginning of her turn, and entering the bag is a free? action, she can leave it(move), move(80 feet covered), and climb back in.
If the plane heals her, she can drink her blood , which is then replaced via magic.
There are no mechanical penalties for not resting.
She can also eat herself, assuming, of course, the plane heals her.

The question is: is there a way out of the plane?
If not, she will survive for around another 700 years, although, after ~300 years, she will be unable to move, having a strength of -2

Sliver
2013-01-20, 01:21 PM
Fast healing would close the wounds, but it ain't no regeneration!

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 01:24 PM
No penalties for blood loss, so still no worries.
Of course, if she manages to find a way out, I imagine that whoever finds her will be somewhat... surprised, by the blood covered elf with butterfly wings, missing an arm, and having bite marks on her other arm...

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 05:37 PM
Yep, alas, starting it would probably end up in Opee's hands, as she seems to be the most talkative.
(Emphasis mine.)

Opee holds open and looks into his breeches, then cinches them up again. "Not unless you have one of those classic cursed 1st-ed D&D helms of gender rehearsal."

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 05:41 PM
Innocent whistling.
Whoops.
I suppose I can't keep track of everything in my head.
Sorry about that...

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 05:48 PM
Nah... she charms the rest of the party into covering her retreat.
winning opposed cha checks tend to be easy vs PC's, as most will dump cha, and she does have a +8 modifier...

The trick is the initial will save. Oz will pass that save.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 05:54 PM
vs dc 18? Is your will save vs enchantment > 8?

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 05:55 PM
I'm guessing that diamond mind counter, I forget the name, where you can use a Concentration check instead?

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 05:58 PM
Even then, probably a 50-50 chance of making the save.

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 06:08 PM
1 concentration check of 1d20+7 and ins grants +3 for +10. We can also use action points.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:09 PM
Which leaves me about a 30% chance of success. Not good, but not too bad either.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:14 PM
Still, it would be my only option, since in a fight with any of the other characters, Eolande loses. Something about not being able to deal damage.
If she can get a charm to work, she can deny the fight, but that is all she can do.

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 06:19 PM
But that IS her great contribution, right? She can do a helluva lot more in a fight than Opee. Opee can't deny a fight; he can only take actions to reduce time through offense (and a little defense).

In fact, if we think of the party, you are (of course) the squishy, but the one with the real 'artillery.'

Upon seeing oz draw his sword, Eolande tries to move further away from him, obviously nervous.
"Do you have to brandish that... poison?"
This is why Kalti and Marculous are on "top" of the carriage. By saying carriage vice wagon, I figured that we were in the closed carriage, of the same vein as anything from a Western stagecoach to a Victorian "taxi."

As compared to "wagon," an open-aired, horse-drawn cart.

If I'm wrong, Sliver, let me know .... but the assumption here is that:
Doc Oc is in the carriage to do, whatever.
Eolande and Opee in carriage, using cover, to use bow/ spell to protect HVU (Oc).
Airis also in carriage, but abilities entirely unknown, so possible spell cover as well.
Marculous top for high-volume ranged weaponry.
Kalti on top for anti-shocktrooper response.
Oz outside/ front to protect driver (and horses)

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:28 PM
Well, in combat she has 3 options, really
Some somewhat lacking in dc charm persons
glitterdust at will
web, grease

Of course, the glitterdust and the charm can be done all day long, which is nifty.

but actually killing someone... not so much.

Of course, as she levels up, she can do more.

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 06:41 PM
Do you need to kill?

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:42 PM
Nah... I have mooks allies for that :smallbiggrin:

lostsole31
2013-01-20, 06:51 PM
Ehhhh-xactly!

Kalti much? :smallamused:

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:53 PM
Alas, I fail to understand that reference

casualcryptic
2013-01-20, 06:53 PM
Honestly, Oz doesn't really blosom until next level. At 6th level he'll really open up but I really just hope we make it to level 4. He's a skillmonkey first but his melee skill is solid enough.

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 06:54 PM
Yea... Eolande gets better next level, and then at level 6 things become quite interesting.
That is mostly the acquisition of new spells, although mindsight might come in handy.

PSinger
2013-01-20, 06:58 PM
Alas, I fail to understand that reference
He meant my character, Kalti. I'm his mook.

As far as role-playing, a conversation usually starts with "..." contines with "..." and ends with "..."

He does listen, though ... possibly. It's sometimes hard to tell. So talking to him might still be roleplaying, right?

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 07:01 PM
So... casting dominate person on him, and ordering him to talk... allows him a save? nifty.

PSinger
2013-01-20, 09:58 PM
Do that, and you just might not like what he has to say. :smallwink:

Archmage1
2013-01-20, 10:04 PM
Ah, but I will. Because I told him so.
Having him follow me around singing "I'm a little teapot, short and stout..."
Would make everyone laugh.
Especially if he was in a clown outfit...
Do you get a bonus to intimidate for being in a clown outfit?
Does a party of adventurers count as a clown outfit?

PSinger
2013-01-21, 02:49 AM
Dominate person, hmmm .... ye gods forbid some well-meaning bloke casts magic circle against 'x' with you and he in it, or you just outside. Or, if he gets hit with a dispel.

Six (improved grab) claw attacks (with that meld) on a super-duper-squishy. Without a god-call, I'm pretty sure you're not getting out of his grapple. Lessee,' in a grapple it takes a full-round action to retrieve a spell component (if needed), and then a Concentration DC 20 + spell level to cast the spell (the next round) ... and lose that spell (and the round of being shredded ... again.

Not because of the teapot or the laughter, per se (well, not the main reason). No, because you are a spirit-stealer to someone of his land. Your magic is worse than necromancy, because you rob the living of their will, while the dead offer up secrets of the old.

No, better to just nod heads at each other and respect each other for individual abilities brought to the table: his brutishness and strange soul-magic, and your horrifying spirit-stealing abilities.

Besides, a teapot serves forth hot fluid. For at least a few seconds, a claw-opened vein would make Eolande a far more realistic teapot than Kalti singing about one. :smallamused:

Aldurin
2013-01-21, 02:51 AM
*Sits in the corner and quietly makes magic items for the party, hoping they don't attempt to murder him, too.*

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 02:55 AM
Ah, but you forget a certain spell: Celerity. No worries about the ending.
She just casts it, and flies out of the area of the spell. Kalti simply leaves, and is dominated once more. Problem solved.
Also, Eolande has DR, that should reduce the claw attacks rather handily.

lostsole31
2013-01-21, 02:59 AM
While multiple arms -despite his being a choice that can be released or changed daily - might seem to Opee's buddy a natural pal/pal choice for your character, Aldurin, I think I see a beautiful relationship forming between two entirely polar opposites with Eolande and Kalti. *giggles* :smalltongue:

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 03:04 AM
It does seem like it will get interesting, true. Of course, he doesn't know she is an enchanter yet(and technically, she is not an enchanter. She just has the domain)(yes, beguiler with the enchantment domain. don't question my unoptimization)

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 06:46 AM
Meh, I've always been of the ideology that optimization is all about what you want to be able to do. If your goal was pure mechanical power then Oz isn't an optimized character. He's a factotum who has skipped the two most powerful skills. However, my goal is to have him be able to do any obscure skill surprisingly decently and he can do that, so he is optimized. He's also adequate in melee (possibly better, needs testing) which was my secondary goal.

If your goal was to be an excellent enchanter, than enchantment domain (even if it's somehow a weak domain generally) could still be an optimized choice. And as far as I know, beguiler's are pretty much always enchanters.

Incidentally, it feels so good to be back on a laptop and off of my smart phone. I was away from computer access for most of yesterday if you hadn't noticed from my short posts. Our full-grown boxer tore a hole in the leg of our baby boxer and things got kind of dramatic. However she's fine now. She'll just walk with a limp for a few weeks.

If we're still doing that thing where we can switch out features before combat I'm going to switch out power attack for adaptive style. I'll pick up power attack again in the future (maybe next level), but I'm just realizing that my character's themed on versatility, not power, and I can't be versatile if it takes me five minutes each time I want to change something.

EDIT: I never thought to ask this before and it doesn't bother me at all if it doesn't but does Duskblade get maneuvers under the homebrew rules? It's a gish class, meaning that it's full BAB plus half-spellcasting.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 12:56 PM
Eolande's amazing attempt at a fort save
[roll0]
(yea, she has absolutely amazing saves. Why?)

Sliver
2013-01-21, 01:02 PM
No luck for vultures' initiative, huh? I guess everybody acts before their initial attack.

You are welcome to roll K. Nature for them.

They are also tiny with no reach, so I believe they'll have to enter your square to attack so anybody on the roof or by the windows with melee weapons can roll their AoO in advance and I'll use them when appropriate.

For anyone planning on ranged from within the carriage. You have full view of some of the vultures from the windows, within 110ft-130ft range.

Any questions?

First encounter, ho!

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 01:05 PM
[roll0] knowledge: nature
Of course, it will be a round or two before Eolande can do much of anything, but hey.
Things I need to to: buff fort.
I don't suppose I can get the nwn2 version of devil's own luck next level, can I?

PersonMan
2013-01-21, 01:05 PM
This is...an unusual ambush. Most of the ones I know are the "suddenly entangled and surrounded" type.

Speaking of which, what's the terrain/season like? I'm just sort of imagining us on a rugged, barren landscape at the moment.

Aldurin
2013-01-21, 01:27 PM
Saves before I post.

Reflex Save: [roll0]
Balance Check: [roll1]
Fort Save: [roll2]

Damn, apparently even my stomach has an exoskeleton.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 01:40 PM
The dangers of a bored individual. I decided to write another chapter in Eolande's backstory.

In this exciting story(Well, maybe), Eolande leaves the forest, and finds a road, before encountering a caravan.

After leaving her home, perhaps never to return, Eolande managed to survive for 3 days in the forest, using the knowledge Arianne had taught her, of the nature of plants and animals, to survive. She remembered the trick to go in a straight line, and after 3 days of flitting from tree to tree, she found a straight clear path through the woods, with a pair of ruts along the sides of it. As soon as she saw it, Eolande knew that it was not natural. Someone had built it. She picked one direction, and followed it, keeping to the trees in case it was a danger. After some hours of travel, she encountered a strange sight. Wooden houses, on wheels, brightly painted and covered, with decorations depicting various animals moving around, and performing acts that Eolande thought... highly unlikely. Still, after 3 days, she was glad to see other people, even if they weren't like her. She flies down to land behind the caravan, and walks to catch up.
As she approaches, there is a great commotion among the wagons, with order eventually being restored by a man carrying a whip. As she neared the wagons, he approached her, speaking in gibberish. Eolande tries speaking in elven back, as it was the common language in her village.
"Hi, I was hoping you could help me..."
Before she could get much of anything out, he waved his arms, and nets flew from the sides, trapping her. Infuriated by this, she tries to escape, but is unable to. The last thing that she knows is a blur heading towards her head, and then silence.
After an unknown period of time, she wakes up in a cage, near a being the likes of which she has never seen before. However, before she can even begin thinking about events, the pain of death metal(iron) strikes her. She had been exposed to the villages supply of the metal, an iron arrowhead found in the shoulder of an insane bear, but, while it had hurt to be nearby, it had never caused this much pain. She looks around, almost blinded by the agony, and notices that the cage has iron bars. After that, the pain eclipses all of her thoughts.
Over the next few days, she wakes up several times, once to the other being in the cages trying to help her drink some water, and once to the prodding of the men with the caravan. The other times, she simply opened her eyes for a few moments, before passing out once more. Eventually, unknown to her, the caravan reached a small town, and set up several great tents, as well as a sign, reading "Marvelloso's Marvelous Marvels", in large, colorful lettering. Eolande woke once more as the tents that formed the cloth covers over the cage she was in were set up, letting her see the strange sight of the caravan setting up for business. After a few minutes, she realized that the pain from the iron was lessening, as though she was growing used to it. The winged woman with her noticed that she was aware, and signaled to the others, requesting food for Eolande, who had not eaten in days. The guards, eager to not have their latest spectacle die, brought food and water for her to eat. As she was being fed by the woman, the woman babbled at her, but Eolande could not understand her.
Soon after she had eaten the gruel she was given, the guards approached once more, with iron manacles for the winged woman, and Eolande. The winged woman allowed them to place the manacles on her first, trying to demonstrate to Eolande that the manacles were ok, babbling in that strange language, trying to reassure her. However, when the guards approached Eolande with the manacles for her, her eyes went wide, and she panicked, trying to flee, but unable to go anywhere, contained by the death metal. As the manacles approached her, she had time to mouth a single word "Please", before the manacles were placed on her legs, the pain blotting out all conscious thought.
As soon as the guards placed the manacles around her legs, her flesh began smoking, and blackening. The guards simply stared in amazement at the damage the "harmless" manacles were causing. The winged woman took one look at the situation, and took the key from the bemused guards, and removed the manacles from Eolande, which immediately ended the burning, although Eolande remained unconscious.
After the winged woman removed the manacles, the guards shook their heads, and stared in amazement at the winged woman's sudden appearance, and the black rings around Eolande's ankles. They immediately start yelling at the winged woman, planning on punishing her for her audacity to interfere with their work. The commotion summons Marvelloso, the man with the whip, the leader of the Circus, who swiftly takes in the situation, with a glance. He stares at the winged woman, knowing that she had done the right thing, but, equally so, knowing that she had to be punished. He then goes and fetches an old man, wizened beyond his years, who chants, and touches Eolande's legs, healing the burns, leaving only faint scars. He instructs the guards to bring rope, and binds Eolande with rope, rather than iron.
After he was satisfied with the security of her bindings, he took her out of her cage, locking the winged woman inside once more, and takes her to a smaller tent, where she is tied to the pole, which is rooted deeply into the ground. After an hour or so, she wakes up, and immediately notices that the burning of the iron is gone. She looks around, noticing that she is in a tent, rather than the cage, and starts trying to free herself from the knots binding her. However, she is unable to make any progress with them. Soon after she gives up, a pair of drunken men, their clothing rich, although disheveled by their activities that evening, come into the tent, escorted by one of the guards. They look at her in amazement, and indeed, even after days spent crumpled in a cage, she is still breathtaking to look at. They speak more gibberish at her, to which she responds "Please, please let me go. I have done nothing to any of you. Why do you do this?"
They simply look at her in bafflement, and prod her, trying to get her to do something. Eolande simply ignores the prods. After the men spend a few unsatisfying minutes trying to get her to do something, they grow tired of her lack of reactions, and leave. After that, Eolande is left alone for several hours, before the caravan master, and 3 of his guards approach, and begin punishing her for her lack of entertainment.
After they were finished, Eolande's splattered, unconscious body is brought back to the cage, her wings crumpled beneath her. At the sight of her, the winged woman's eyes go wide, horrified that she left the child to be tortured by the guards. After a couple of hours, Eolande groans, and sits up, moving to the center of the cage to get as far away from the edges of the cage as she could. The woman watches, before speaking in elven to her.
"I am sorry that these vile fiends managed to capture you. I am equally sorry that there is nothing I can do to help you. This necklace..."
As she speaks, she fingers a simple silver necklace placed around her neck.
"It prevents me from using any of my powers. I suppose they were worried about your powers as well, since you also have one."
As the woman points out the similar necklace around her neck, Eolande opens her bruised eyes, and looks at it.
"What is it? It feels... odd, as though it is draining something"
"It is a suppression necklace. Any magic that you try to use will fail so long as you wear it, and you can't remove it. Only Marvelloso can, and he is not going to do that so long as you live"
"What is this place? Why are they doing this to me? And what is that language everyone else seems to use?"
At this statement of ignorance, the winged woman's looks at Eolande in amazement
"You really don't speak common, do you? Common is the language that pretty much everyone uses, except for some tribes in the middle of nowhere. I suppose you must be from one of those. This is Marvelloso's Marvelous Marvels, and they intend to use you to make money for them"
As the woman speaks, it is clear that she hates Marvelloso, and his circus, with a passion that would be hard to beat.
"Money?"
The woman looks even more amazed at that.
"You must be from some really strange place, to not know what that is. It is coins, most people will accept them in trade for goods, or services. Rest now. I will try to clean some of this off of you when we get some water."
Eolande, feeling in more pain than she has for most of her life, does indeed pass out once more, waking up when she feels wet hands sponging her off, cleaning off the remains of the attentions of the guards. Once more, Eolande is surprised at how much less pain she cage is causing her, leaving only a raging headache, and a numbness in her extremities. This pain is eclipsed by the remnants of the beating the guards left her with.
"Who are you? What are you? I have never seen anything like you"
The winged woman pauses in her cleaning of Eolande, before resuming
"I am called Atheria, and I am a deva. I was captured by Marevelloso after I cleaned out a den of demons 2 years ago. I have not been able to hear my lord since. I could ask a similar question of you"
"You may call me Eolande, and I am halfway between the elves, and the fey of my village."
"If you want to avoid treatment like the one you were given earlier, you will need to learn the language, as well as how to put on a show. It should not be too difficult for one as striking as yourself."
"Could you help me?"
"Of course. Now..."
Atheria started educating Eolande, teaching her common, as well as how to put on a show for the circus. With her teachings, Eolande was able to avoid the major attentions of the guards, although their petty cruelties occurred. After about 6 months, Eolande has adapted to the presence of iron in her life. Although it still causes her discomfort, she is no longer wiped out from its mere presence, although physical contact still burns her.
Eolande awoke to the screams of men, and the thunder of hooves. Something was happening, although she could see nothing through the walls of the tent, she woke up Atheria, who immediately smiles.
"Sounds like a rescue, at long last. If these are who I think they are, you are welcome to stay with us for some time, long enough for you to get your feet on the ground, at least."
"If this torment is to end, I would be grateful for it, Thank you for the offer. If Marvelloso's torment comes to an end, I would be glad to stay with you"
After about an hour, the sounds of combat outside come to an end, and a fellow in full plate pulls the tent covering off of the cage
"I found her, HERE!"
He then breaks the lock open, and helps Atheria out of the cage. He then goes to help Eolande, who avoids the touch of his gauntlets, and climbs down on her own, at long last, freed from the torment of being a circus attraction for strangers.
"My lady, I am sorry that it took so long to find you. You were obscured from the sight of the clerics. In the end, a passing knight heard of this circus, and was able to see you at a distance. Soon after, we organized this to save you."
"My thanks. This is the Lady Eolande. She will be going with us, as she is going to need the help"
"Lady."
The knight bows, and goes to take Eolande's hand, intending to being it to his lips to kiss it, but Eolande avoids the questing hand, and he looks at her in puzzlement. Atheria ends the puzzle for him.
"The touch of iron hurts her. Perhaps we can exchange proper greetings later. For now, I want to be away from this place."
And so it was that Eolande was saved from the clutches of the circus by an order of paladins. I may write more later.

PersonMan
2013-01-21, 01:45 PM
Fort: [roll0]
Ref: [roll1]

EDIT: D'oh, forgot Balance.

Sliver
2013-01-21, 02:04 PM
Speaking of which, what's the terrain/season like? I'm just sort of imagining us on a rugged, barren landscape at the moment.

You are in a mostly cleared and paved path through the mountains. It is the beginning of summer.

The driver is, obviously quite sickened as well.

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 02:28 PM
Reflex DC 14
[roll0]
Balance DC 14
[roll1]
Fort DC 16
[roll2]
Knowledge Nature
[roll3]

PersonMan
2013-01-21, 02:34 PM
You are in a mostly cleared and paved path through the mountains. It is the beginning of summer.

The driver is, obviously quite sickened as well.

Ah, so he made the save. Good. Haha. Get it? Sickened?

Also, yes, Airis isn't used to horses. She doesn't really like then, and this is a perfect example of why.

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 02:35 PM
AoO
[roll0]
[roll1]

PersonMan
2013-01-21, 02:41 PM
Taking this chance to Balance: [roll0]

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 02:42 PM
EDIT: Another +2 damage on that AoO for Knowledge Devotion, sorry.

Ray of Frost (lulz)
Touch Attack (Cold Damage)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 02:43 PM
Where is the AoO coming from?

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 02:45 PM
DM said to post them ahead of time.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 02:47 PM
Ah. Missed that. Well, no AoO for Eolande, as she has no weapons. Even if she did, -4 attack means not a chance of hitting a barn.

Sliver
2013-01-21, 03:06 PM
@casualcryptic - Unless I'm mistaken, Ray of Frost is short range spell...

Alas no, I did not mean sickened as in made the save. :smalltongue:

PersonMan
2013-01-21, 03:16 PM
Well, is teamster'ing a move action? Let's hope so.

Aldurin
2013-01-21, 03:17 PM
Oh, forgot to account for sickened, so all of my attack rolls are actually 2 less (hopefully that doesn't impede accuracy too much for me), also, will the sickened penalty apply to my next balance check?

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 09:53 PM
Ah, your right. I thought the birds were closer but I see now that I am clearly wrong. Well, the goal was less to kill them, and more to draw their attention, and I am burning a 0 level spell, so lacking any spells that would reach the birds in the first place I'll just maintain the same ability. If there is a skill check you would like me to make to taunt them I will gladly do that as well.

lostsole31
2013-01-21, 09:54 PM
Opee is just not one to be used to things like this, but he tries to muster the best he can while trying to figure this all out.
Fort [roll0], K: Nature [roll1]

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 09:56 PM
And now we know: Eolande has the worst fort save. Somehow, not a surprise, considering dumped con.
(if it becomes relevant, Eolande will continue to be sick next round.)

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 10:02 PM
Well, you have action points. If fort is your worst save, then that's probably a good candidate to burn a point on. An extra d6 can easily make the difference between save and suck.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 10:04 PM
Even with it, a less than 50% chance of success on a dc 16, and nauseated is not going to kill her, as the ravens do not have cold iron weapons, or iron weapons.
Plus everyone else can fight here.
She can probably blind a few, and make one helpless, but other than that, not a lot. Losing 2 rounds is not the end of the world.
Plus I did not think of it at the time, which is a good thing, as even if I had rolled the 6, she would still have failed the save.

And yep, fort is her worse save, at a 0.
Reflex is a 6
and will is a 3, but with immunity to enchantment.

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 10:08 PM
Well, I was thinking more for the future than for the present, but point granted. An extra 1 to 6 points is still a far cry from immunity or anything like it.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 10:09 PM
Things to get: vest of resistance...
(alas, cloak is for cha)

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 10:21 PM
If the DM isn't opposed, there are rules for combining magic items in the MIC. You could probably make a cloak of Charisma / Resistance.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 10:27 PM
True, but it is cheaper to not do so. Plus I don't have any other plans for the vest slot, with the exception of the vest of the archmagi, which is something of a... expensive item to acquire.

PSinger
2013-01-21, 10:29 PM
Ya, but for my character, I really have to think what slots I want to lose for my incarnum, and combining items is definitely a way to go for me.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 10:30 PM
Yep.
Luckily for me, I have magic to provide defences, so no need for armor.
(using miss chance stacking instead)
Of course, fitting 3 levels of incantatrix in somewhere would be nice...

Sadly, there is not that much stuff for an enchanter that I know of.

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 10:50 PM
Merry Christmas.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19867266/Enchanter_Handbook

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 11:07 PM
Alas, things that I sort of want
Tyranny domain(sadly, lose spontaneous divination, which is sad)
Shadow weave magic(no way to meet the pre-recs, unless Silver changes them)

And then there is the veil of allure
+2 dc for 14k... Yes please. May I have another?

casualcryptic
2013-01-21, 11:33 PM
I always check the local handook when I run out of ideas or are stumped on where to go next. Granted, triple gestalt is such a rare category that it requires the tossing aside of much of conventional wisdom.

Archmage1
2013-01-21, 11:39 PM
True. But then, my build is more like a single class, just made a bit faster.
Thank you for the link.
@Silver: Would you be willing to allow me to get at shadow weave magic?
Or, perhaps, delay some of the Mindbender spellcasting advancements a level(to sync with the levels that Ultimate Magus single advances)

casualcryptic
2013-01-22, 12:13 AM
No problem. Glad you noticed something potentially useful.

Archmage1
2013-01-22, 12:15 AM
Well, the second item to get for the character is fairly nice.
Order of items to get
Hat of Int(+2, +4)(+2 to dc)
Veil of allure(+2 to dc)
Whatever seems like a good idea at the time.

Sliver
2013-01-22, 02:10 AM
Vulture Grapple: [roll0] Succeed only on Nat 20 (Not due to auto-success, as I've said these don't exist. But he can get 21 from +10 on Nat 20.)

For those that are intrigued: One of the horses is nauseated, the other is sickened. What do you think will happen? :smallamused:

Aldurin
2013-01-22, 03:00 AM
Wait, so did I get healed by the vulture that hit me? Negative damage is confusing.

My "don't fall off" rolls (I forgot to account for buffed dexterity last set):
[roll0] Reflex
[roll1] Balance

Edit: So I failed the reflex save, unless I actually get to count my arms even though they're holding crossbows.

Sliver
2013-01-22, 03:03 AM
Damage is minimum 1, except in cases of DR of course. So 0 or below is always 1.

With nat 1, you end up with a ref of 0. I doubt you have enough free arms.

Aldurin
2013-01-22, 03:05 AM
Fair enough, at least I'm holding crossbows so I can still fire away like I'm the guy in the action movie :smallbiggrin:

Archmage1
2013-01-22, 07:48 AM
If only negative damage could heal.
if it could, Eolande could stab people with a dagger to make them better 50% of the time, and have no effect 25% of the time.
Or just punch them, for 1d4-3 nonlethal.
Or ray of exhaustion, and heal on every hit...
The possibilities are endless...

PersonMan
2013-01-22, 11:34 AM
Step 1: Get DR 10 or higher.
Step 2: Anger peasant mob.
Step 3: Enjoy your free healing.

Sliver
2013-01-22, 12:13 PM
Isn't Airis inside the carriage? You don't need to roll unless you are on top.

PersonMan
2013-01-22, 12:29 PM
Oh. Cool.

Post incoming after dinner.

Archmage1
2013-01-22, 11:13 PM
On the bright side, Nausea is now over.
Now, the slaughter of the birds begins.

@Silver: how many birds can Eolande Glitterdust?
(for next round, I can see the question coming.)

casualcryptic
2013-01-22, 11:32 PM
Iaijutsu Focus

Katana Attack
[roll1]
Katana Damage
[roll2]
Quickrazor Attack
[roll3]
Quickrazor Damage
[roll]1d6+2

Possible Iaijutsu Damage
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

casualcryptic
2013-01-22, 11:33 PM
Fixing
[roll0]

Aldurin
2013-01-23, 02:33 AM
These vultures are sad and their damage rolls make me sad for them.

Sliver
2013-01-23, 04:43 AM
On the bright side, Nausea is now over.
Now, the slaughter of the birds begins.

@Silver: how many birds can Eolande Glitterdust?
(for next round, I can see the question coming.)

With an area of 10ft radius, not many. 3, tops.

Archmage1
2013-01-23, 07:33 AM
Hopefully, that will help the driver regain control of the horses.
If not, I have this vision of Eolande sending a tornado like blast of wing dust at the birds, which is pretty awesome as well.

Sliver
2013-01-23, 07:56 AM
The birds attack their target and fly away. There are no vultures currently next to the horses. They dive, strike with their talons, and fly away. Besides the two that are kinda close to Merculous but still not in melee with him, the other birds are no less than 40ft away from the carriage.

Is Eolande readying that or casting at the birds as they are turning for another go?

Currently there are 3 groups of vultures: 6 that attacked first and are now about 60ft above the carriage and ready for another dive. 12 that just attacked and are flying around for a second go, currenlty about 40ft away, and 2 that parted from the first group and are attacking Merculous, about 20ft from him right now, and he is about 30ft away from the carriage.

Also, one vulture that Kalti is holding.

Death toll is 2 killed by Merculous and Oz, one killed by Mr. Octopus.

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 11:50 AM
Incidentally, I did include the inspiration in the initial roll for my offhand weapon. That's why it is 3 points higher in attack than my main weapon.

Sliver
2013-01-23, 11:52 AM
Ah, I... misunderstood your wording. :smallredface:

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 12:10 PM
New AoO
[roll0]
[roll1]

Attack (with Inspiration)
[roll2]
[roll]1d10+5[roll]
Chill Touch
[roll]1d6+2[roll]

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 12:11 PM
Fixing

[roll0]
Chill Touch
[roll1]

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 12:18 PM
Ah, I... misunderstood your wording. :smallredface:

No biggie. I'll try to make it more apparent from now on.

On an unrelated note, I'ma have to disagree on the bird's damage, considering I'm chilling at two thirds health.

Sliver
2013-01-23, 12:20 PM
You disagree? The pain from the talons is enough to keep Oz from retaliating? :smalltongue:

So... I'm assuming that's a readied action there?

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 12:25 PM
The disagreement was more towards

These vultures are sad and their damage rolls make me sad for them.

But in regard to the readied action, yeah, basically. He'll use it whenever a vulture is within range for it to be used.

Aldurin
2013-01-23, 12:54 PM
On an unrelated note, I'ma have to disagree on the bird's damage, considering I'm chilling at two thirds health.

Oh, just man up and deal with it, you only have 18 more vultures to kill anyways :smalltongue:

PSinger
2013-01-23, 01:05 PM
Sliver, sorry about that. I forgot to make sure lostsole was signed out of our computer, so my character (Kalti) was under lost's account. I would've cut-paste, but there were rolls involved so I didn't want there to be any cheating there.

This happens every now and then. Let's hear it for poverty of one computer. Yay.

Aldurin
2013-01-23, 01:16 PM
Hm, looking at our other multi-limbed character, I may have to see about getting in on that Totemist action to get myself a fourth pair of arms, of course assuming that I'm able to wield weapons in those hands with the same ease as the others. Then I can eventually make myself a spare hand that I can infuse for the purpose of reloading and I'll be able to shoot 8 crossbows at once.

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 01:24 PM
Oh, just man up and deal with it, you only have 18 more vultures to kill anyways :smalltongue:

Closer to 16 now I think.

Archmage1
2013-01-23, 05:30 PM
Ok, in that case, Eolande will target the largest cluster of Vultures she can.
Range is 110 feet, so not an issue.

In the future, I will try and post alternative actions, if needed, since when I am on, and when Silver is on seems to be on opposite clocks.

lostsole31
2013-01-23, 07:52 PM
What time zone (and/ or country/ state, if you're willing to say) are folks located? I'm MST (Mountain Standard Time ... New Mexico). This means that I am GMT -7.

Archmage1
2013-01-23, 07:56 PM
GMT-5, so we are fairly similar.
However, from his info on his thingamabobber, Silver is in GMT+2, so 7 hours off.
Basically, I sleep while he works, I work while he does stuff, and I post while he sleeps. At a guess.
So, basically 2 posts per day.
However, on weekends, I suspect that I can do much better.

casualcryptic
2013-01-23, 08:25 PM
I'm in Georgia so Eastern Standard

lostsole31
2013-01-23, 08:31 PM
Mmmm, sorry, casual. Those from Georgia are not standard for easterners. Now, those like myself who are from Pennsylvania .... :smalltongue:

Aldurin
2013-01-23, 08:48 PM
Question for DM: Given how I'm working with quite a few weapons, can Quick Draw count for sheathing weapons (free action and all), or can I stow all of my weapons as a single move action so that I don't spend two and a half turns just to put away my crossbows if I don't want to drop them.

Yes I know I'm an Artificer who should just make a Ring of Arming, but I'd like some convenience to switching between melee and ranged without having to make replacement crossbows later the same day.

Archmage1
2013-01-23, 08:49 PM
Well, this is kinda of ridiculous, but
Stick greatswords on all of your crossbows? It works in Final Fantasy...

Sliver
2013-01-23, 11:21 PM
Question for DM: Given how I'm working with quite a few weapons, can Quick Draw count for sheathing weapons (free action and all), or can I stow all of my weapons as a single move action so that I don't spend two and a half turns just to put away my crossbows if I don't want to drop them.

Yes I know I'm an Artificer who should just make a Ring of Arming, but I'd like some convenience to switching between melee and ranged without having to make replacement crossbows later the same day.

I would have just said ok to free actions, but with Iaijutsu out there...

Alright, how about this: Quick Draw to free action sheathe one weapon per turn, move action to sheathe them all. No Iaijutsu shenanigans.

And indeed, I am GMT +2. I just woke up. (6:22 AM) I'll be posting only in a few hours since I'm getting ready to leave.

I'm currently serving at the (Israeli) army, but I'm mostly able to be on through my phone or laptop even when I'm at the base.

lostsole31
2013-01-23, 11:27 PM
Good luck, and be safe, Sliver.

I actually had my beit din/ mikveh for conversion May 23rd of last year.

Sliver
2013-01-24, 03:54 AM
And the battle continues. So, how's everybody feeling about the first encounter? I've decided to try something different. I'm rolling the dice on the d20srd site, so the bonuses are a bit harder to discern, as well as damage to NPCs. I'm not fudging rolls and doubt I'm going to...

How's everybody feeling about the encounter so far? Both content and how it's handled.

Also a request. Please post (or PM me) the following information of your character:

Name, race, outstanding features and clothing (if any), AC (For your most common state), Touch AC (same), Flatfooted AC (same), Flatfooted Touch AC (that too), Saves, Other Defenses (Like SR, DR), Special Abilities, Listen mod, Spot mod, Sense Motive mod, Sensory abilities (Low-light vision, darkvision, constantly on detect magic, etc.) Int score, Wis score, Knowledge skills' modifiers (that you invested in), anything else noteworthy you feel I should remember.

I think that's all for now.

lostsole31
2013-01-24, 04:52 AM
And the battle continues. So, how's everybody feeling about the first encounter? I've decided to try something different. I'm rolling the dice on the d20srd site, so the bonuses are a bit harder to discern, as well as damage to NPCs. I'm not fudging rolls and doubt I'm going to...

How's everybody feeling about the encounter so far? Both content and how it's handled.
Interesting battle, and the opening blargh was interesting. I am interested to know what caused us to get sick.

As a DM, I do not show NPC rolls. However, I am very descriptive of battle information ... effect of each hit, and how badly the opponent seems to be overall. Also, any feat, ability, or combat attempt that might be seen is usually described. (E.g., Power Attack (PA) small amout = puts a little extra power into the swing; large amount = thrusts wildly, whatever. Combat Expertise = studies the battle unfolding to parry. Dodge = focuses parries and defense against person 'x'. Fighting defensively = fights wildly and desperately to keep from getting hit (though that becomes less of a description with higher levels). Total defensive = anything from cowardly attempt to not be hit, to as positive as "sets up brilliant defensive parry defensive/ soft kata.") You get the picture.

Also, AC is important. Just hit/ miss is miss-leading. It is important and fair to get an idea based on how close our strike was to (not) landing. Deflection to insight/ monk bonuses/ 6th-sense blockings, to shield defenses, to armor or similar bonuse, and finally to natural armor. This isn't metagaming, but our skilled characters being able to gauge opponents as battle progresses.

There are my suggestions, which I use in my game. It not only provides information to the characters and reduces full metagaming, but also increases the flavor of the combat's description.

EDIT to my PM: Normal AC is 21, touch 15, flat-footed 18. I put down 23 because I looked at the sheet for his currently boosted (by force screen) AC. This AC reflects him using his wooden shield.

* Sliver, Paul (PSinger) is still asleep (3:45 am here), so I sent you Kalti's Quick-Sheet. His different melds he could choose and the ability for him to shift his pact augmentations makes nailing down boosted-for-the-day figures difficult.

lostsole31
2013-01-24, 05:07 AM
Opee's readied action to shoot when a (wounded) vulture comes within 60' of his position.
Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]

PersonMan
2013-01-24, 11:39 AM
Well, both Airis and Kalti can lift 600 pounds off the ground, which the empty carriage weighs (per SRD), so we can get it back upright fine, I'd say.

Although I'd like for Kalti to be about to start lifting when Airis goes in and starts, as well - I have a fun scene in mind, and Airis doesn't look like 18 Strength, especially next to him.

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 01:43 PM
This all happens after the buzzards die correct?

Sliver
2013-01-24, 01:46 PM
Unless you are planning to lift the carriage during combat...

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 02:02 PM
Oz sneers as he takes another strike, this time head on. "Enough."

AoO
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]

Reflex with Intuition
[roll2]

Tactical Strike:
Attack:
[roll3]
Damage:
[roll4]
[roll5]

Every adjacant ally can move 5" if they care.

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 02:10 PM
Incidentally, I'm out of inspiration for this fight.

PSinger
2013-01-24, 02:17 PM
^^ You may be out of inspiration, but you never run out of skill. Go get 'em, tiger. :smallamused:

AOO for Kalti
* Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]
* Grapple [roll2]

EDIT: Nice crit on that first shot, Marculous!

Aldurin
2013-01-24, 02:32 PM
Here's your quicknotes for Marculous then. The AC details don't include the buffs for this fight.

Player: Aldurin
Name: Marculous Archibald
Race: Lesser Air Genasi (Insectile)
Outstanding features: Six arms, exoskeleton, spider-face minus the fangs. (Exoskeleton is a pale blue due to being Air Genasi).
AC: 18, with 14 for both touch and flat-footed. 10 AC for flat-footed touch.
Saves: Fort 7, Ref 7, Will 2
Special Abilities: Climb speed equal to base land speed (30 ft). +1 to saves against air-based spells and effects. Six arms.
Listen Mod: -5
Spot Mod: -2
Sense Motive Mod: -1
Sensory Abilities:
-Dark Vision 60 ft
-Tremorsense 60 ft (like blindsight for anything touching the ground)
-Wide Vision (Cannot be flanked)
Int Score: 18
Wis Score: 8
Knowledge Skills:
-Arcana: +11
-Architecture and Engineering: +5
-The Planes: +11
Extra details: Aberration type. Double carry-capacity for not being humanoid.

I like the fight so far, whenever a DM throws a curveball that takes us by surprise without being an absolute cheap shot, it makes the combat that much more interesting.

Also looks like I should break out some Healing Belts down the road, since we don't really have a dedicated medic on hand.

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 04:22 PM
Here's your quicknotes for Marculous then. The AC details don't include the buffs for this fight.

[SPOILER]Also looks like I should break out some Healing Belts down the road, since we don't really have a dedicated medic on hand.

I was just thinking I would like to buy one of them for Oz. How does you building things work cash wise? I know artificers are mechanically not allowed to make money off of their abilities but that's about all I know.

EDIT: Also, that was a relatively quick fight as far as pbp affairs go. Not to jinx anything but I'm more than content with our group's current pace.

Aldurin
2013-01-24, 04:47 PM
I was just thinking I would like to buy one of them for Oz. How does you building things work cash wise? I know artificers are mechanically not allowed to make money off of their abilities but that's about all I know.

I can make wondrous items for roughly half their gp value and 1/25 of their value in xp (always noted in their entry). An artificer can also simulate spells for a UMD check for the purpose of creating such items, though the DC is 20 + the required caster level to cast such a spell. So I can make a healing belt for 500 gold and 40 xp (a real bargain for a healing item), but I only have three tries to make the DC 23 UMD check or else the materials and xp are lost (1 initial, 1 retry for the day and 1 for the last-chance roll). Given my crafting reserve (which doesn't carry between levels) and the big wad of XP we got, I'm sure Marculous would gladly make a healing belt for you if you offset the gold cost. Given the relative cheapness of the item we'll probably want several soon enough, though I can only make one each day.

I don't know where "mechanically not allowed to make money" comes from, since the super-optimized Artificers are feared for their ability to break Wealth-By-Level. As-is I can get some good economy out of random loot, and at fifth level I can omnomnom magic items we don't need in order to add their xp cost to my craft reserve, so that I can make more magic items that we'll actually use.

Sliver
2013-01-24, 05:01 PM
Marculous can collect up to 4 unconscious and dying, but not yet dead, Vrail.

lostsole31
2013-01-24, 05:06 PM
How's this for why not on these things .... the smell of them make your fellow party members wretch, even if only in RP terms. :smallsmile:

Aldurin
2013-01-24, 05:08 PM
How's this for why not on these things .... the smell of them make your fellow party members wretch, even if only in RP terms. :smallsmile:

Don't worry, I'll smash them with my hammer right in front of you guys.

Sliver
2013-01-24, 05:21 PM
So heroic... :smallamused:

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 05:33 PM
Looks like it is time to cast prestidigitation, and clean up the mess of blood and other body parts.
Eolande takes no damage.

Also, shouldn't there be 5 blind birds?(3, then 2?)

Sliver
2013-01-24, 05:34 PM
One saved.

PSinger
2013-01-24, 05:43 PM
Of course, there is a dwindling number alive ... as Kalti systematically performs coup des gras on them. :smallamused:

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 05:44 PM
Amazingly enough, losing 10 hp would leave Eolande with 14, which is a sort of decent amount. Using int instead of con makes the difference between 6 and 24. Which is nifty.

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 06:00 PM
I don't remember exactly, but I recall a safety clause existing. I guess I could be wrong. I tried to google it but only came up with this:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145158

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:02 PM
Well, Eolande should be able to boost those sale prices considerably, between speech skills, and charm person, after all.

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:04 PM
Question: did you roll Eolande's spot to see if she sees any sign of what killed the birds?
[roll0] spot

Sliver
2013-01-24, 06:07 PM
The description remains as it is.

That's just by pure craft and sell. Not an actual game limitation.

Often I read about artificers making items for the party and charging a bit over the half value that they spend on the craft itself to offset the xp costs and to have that small profit themselves.

As for haggling and such, I rather you didn't. I much rather have the gentleman's agreement of you finding everything you need (that is within reason of town's wealth) at market value, and you not messing with NPCs. Because as soon as you do, then I'll be fleshing them out with paying for guard and thus the prices of items go up to offset the costs of hired thugs guarding the items from non-hired thugs such as you.

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:09 PM
ok. So no learning chained dominate, and taking over a city, collecting all the wealth of the merchants as we go. Understood.

Sliver
2013-01-24, 06:12 PM
Unless you want all the retired adventurers getting annoyed with you...

Hey, remember that I said in the opening post that one of the reasons the Jackal is still uncaught is because he is too small for the bigger fish. You are small fish. :smallamused: At least for now.

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:13 PM
well, level 11 to get chained dominate person, which is not entirely small fish, after all.

So, does Eolande get Blown up?

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:18 PM
Incidentally, another game I am in is currently recruiting. If you are interested in a level 12 start, using mostly core+some of the completes, ask away. Fairly rapid posting though.

casualcryptic
2013-01-24, 06:21 PM
It's times like this when I love Brains over Brawn. On virtue of his strength, Oz is only sort of strong, but when his intelligence comes into play, his practical strength for mundane purposes is above 20.

PSinger
2013-01-24, 06:22 PM
Do tell, Archmage ...

lostsole31
2013-01-24, 06:27 PM
Opee will definitely put the healing whammy on Oz ...

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:27 PM
More details on the game, if you want it. If you are still interested, I can send you links to the OOC and IC, letting you read them

Here is the slightly modified 16
stat generation is 4d6b3, or 32 pb.

1.The game system will be D&D 3.5

2. The setting for the game will be in classic Greyhawk. Expect to see the usual monsters and races. Although there may be some twists to some elements and characters along the way.

3. Looking for one or 2 mopre

5. Characters will be starting at 12th level(current party is 13, not my idea)

6. Everyone will start with WBL according to the DMG. Given the nature of your level (and backstories). You may begin with additional perks, depending on what backstory you write.

7. Given the selection of books and the setting, certain prestige classes or races may or may not be available. Of course, if you have a really good idea for a build, submit it. I see no reason to ban it. The point is for everyone to have fun. Regarding classes, I would recommend a divine caster, definitely. Someone with social attributes would be appreciated as well. Needless to say, muscle is a must.

8. All core races from the PHB are allowed, as well as their subrace cousins in the MM. You may consider monstrous races as well, wary of LA.

9. I'm open to suggestions here. If anyone has a preferred method, please submit it to me.

10. My game focuses on alignment but by no means do I became an alignment police of sorts. Although I do restrict players from choosing evil alignments. Everything else is good to go.

11. If your build will benefit from multiclassing, go for it.

12. Regarding die rolls, this site presents a very useful system. Again, if anyone has a better suggestion, I'm all ears.

13. Given the books allowed, there should be enough variant rules for everyone to enjoy. If you have a specific rule or feature you'd like to incorporate to your PC, please run it by me.

14. In this tale, you are the heroes! Getting to level 12 is no small feat. As such, I would appreciate immensely if you could come up with a rich background that may be later incorporated into the campaign. You don't need to submit an entire volume, but something that caters to your PC and his adventures throughout all these years from a simple dungeon crawler to an army general.

15. I do favor story above all. Of course, I am all too familiar with fighting in the game (most of the rules cater to combat). As such, expect to see some heavy battles, tempered by role-playing scenarios.

16. The following material has been considered for this campaign. If you have suggestions for features found in books others than the ones listed here, please let me know beforehand.

-PHB

-PHB2

-DMG

-MMI-V

-Complete Adventurer, Arcane, Divine, and Warrior

-Spell Compendium

Sliver
2013-01-24, 06:30 PM
I... Might submit a warlock... If my posting rate is enough, that is. Considering the time difference and that usually I would be asleep for a couple of hours by now if the phone wasn't notifying me of new posts and I didn't have to go pee every few minutes because it's cold and I'm at the base until morning...

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:33 PM
All right then, links. Feel free to post stuff in the OOC(4)
Also, don't necessarily feel compelled to read the old stuff. After all, your char has not seen it either.

Sheets:
The amazing link of epicness. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=464523) Dantie
Dimbur Stonestaff (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=484023)
Xander (http://www.myth-weavers.com(not really posting)/sheetview.php?sheetid=443096) sorc spells (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=444258)
Tarith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436710)

Shadows of the past links
OOC 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253635)
OOC 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261054)
OOC 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262945)
OOC 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265497)
IC 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253542)
IC 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257631)
IC 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261700)
IC 4 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14468273#post14468273)

Archmage1
2013-01-24, 06:51 PM
And, seeing as I didn't address it
Your posting rate should be fine. The issue would be more the time, and even then, the others can post during the day, whereas I can't.
The only concern is a tendency to have a flurry of posts around nowish, but I think it would work out

Plus a spellthief always likes working with a warlock. Something about all day buffs for both...

You might want to propose the use of that warlock fix though, in the OOC.

casualcryptic
2013-01-25, 10:09 AM
Often I read about artificers making items for the party and charging a bit over the half value that they spend on the craft itself to offset the xp costs and to have that small profit themselves.

Sorry, but I just thought of this.
Don't they get an xp allotment as a class feature? Isn't that kind of like the healer asking to be paid for healing or the buffer asking to be paid to buff?

Obviously, asking the crafter to take the gold penalty on themselves would be pretty douchy and I'm more than happy to counterbalance any costs I rack up but (as I understand it) WotC already factored in the xp penalties.

I could be wrong, just a thought that crossed my mind while I was working up a post for Oz and thinking about new healing belts. :p

Sliver
2013-01-25, 10:14 AM
It's the same as buying pearls of power so the wizard casts magic weapon for you. Sure, it's a feature, but if he is using it for you, he isn't using it for himself. Also, the xp is not as renewable as spells per day. In the end though, it all depends on the character and player behind it...

Aldurin
2013-01-25, 01:18 PM
Also, the xp is not as renewable as spells per day. In the end though, it all depends on the character and player behind it...

Well, once I get Retain Essence that can change, though it depends on how many magic items we find that have little use to us.

casualcryptic
2013-01-26, 11:10 AM
Archmage, I think you misunderstood the DM's comment. He didn't say "We draw straws" he said "we drew straws," as in that's how he was decided to join the group. That's my reading any way.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:10 AM
Edited in a response to Oz.
I suppose everyone else can just roll die to determine when they go, or they can just go as they choose.

Edit: Ah. Well, that is always fun.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:25 AM
So... How long do you think it is going to be before Eolande manages to get caught at charming someone? I suspect that the answer will be sooner, rather than later.
I also hope that the Octopus is not going to make a dc 19 check.

PersonMan
2013-01-26, 11:30 AM
Mr. Octopus frowns at your attempts to charm him out of information. "The Jackal is not a gang leader. The expendables he employs are you guys."

Um. So, Eolande can charm people out of information, now, can she?

Alright, let's get some new mooks out of that info Airis gave her!

Haha, because, you know, the words are switched. "Charm information out of him" is what it should be. He he. Heh.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:31 AM
Well, you know, it is hardly fair if he can simply hide in that mass known as information.

casualcryptic
2013-01-26, 11:36 AM
Why not? He is the final boss after all. :smallbiggrin:

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:38 AM
I imagine that the Jackel will end up being an enemy for later.
Or course, he could be a friendly ally.
I suppose the question now is: Time jump?
Sadly, Eolande is probably not going to have any stories to tell that don't leave her in tears, reminding her of what she has lost.

PersonMan
2013-01-26, 11:39 AM
I'm cool with talking more or time skipping, myself.

casualcryptic
2013-01-26, 11:39 AM
I was kinda kidding, following the trope as it were.

Oz is kind of secretive himself, though his background is open so the info is available to players if they want it.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:41 AM
The same for Eolande. More or less the standard tormented past history, although, it is a bit on the long side.

PersonMan
2013-01-26, 11:44 AM
Meanwhile Airis is totally up for talking about her past. It helps that she has had plenty of random adventures while wandering the world outside of her homeland.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:45 AM
Eolande might, all things considered, but she would also probably start crying, which should probably make everyone in the car feel guilty, as well, while she is beautiful, she also looks rather weak and pathetic.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 11:51 AM
You know, I am sort of thinking of not having Eolande have conscious control over her Fey SLA's. They would just sort of... happen, at the appropriate moments. If she is in some sort of distress, or wants someone to be her friend, they might just sort of... go off.

I can see this working for Charm Person, Hypnotism, Enthrall, and detect Law, although, not so much for Glitterdust.
Her Beguiler spells, and her warlock invocations would be abilities that she has managed to bring under conscious control.

Sliver
2013-01-26, 11:54 AM
I'm going to give everybody a chance to respond before doing a time skip. Which is likely to not happen before I'm going to sleep.

PersonMan
2013-01-26, 12:04 PM
Here we come to a point where Airis being Aurelian comes up again. What she's talking about is her equivalent of the old "shining knight saves the princess" thing.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 12:05 PM
Yep, and Eolande, who has more or less been on the outside of human society, is going to have no idea what she is talking about. Just as a heads up.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 12:21 PM
As a more or less random comment, Octopus did make his save right?
(rules compendium, page 112 says I do get to know)

However, while he would know he was the target of some sort of effect, he would not know what it was.

Sliver
2013-01-26, 12:24 PM
Yeah, he made it.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 12:24 PM
Do you mind if I ask by how much?

Sliver
2013-01-26, 12:25 PM
I do. Mind.

Archmage1
2013-01-26, 12:26 PM
ok. Fair enough.
Always harder to judge how decent your DC's are though, especially in a Tristalt game.
In a normal game, 19 would be pretty good for first level, but everyone seems to be rocking out with a pretty good save.

PersonMan
2013-01-26, 12:28 PM
Yeah, one of the drawbacks for spellcasters in multistalt is that saves generally leap up while DCs...don't.