PDA

View Full Version : how do you think this would work?

morkendi
2013-01-17, 01:58 PM
Was facing a vampire mage. In the battle, I had already cast a spell. The mage runs up to me and starts to cast disjunction. I know what is coming. I had a quickened shadow well memorized. I shadow welled myself. The dm and I thought of 3 scenarios as a result. 1, the shadow well is dispelled and I get hit with disjunction. 2, the shadow well is dispelled and I get pulled back, but I would return after the effect and not hit with disjunction. And last, the shadow well would be dispelled thus severing the connection leaving me in the well to escape another way.

What do you guys think would happen. We are on hold here as fighter has been dominated, and cleric is feared. Rogue is sneaking in to get what we are after while we distract the vampire and his minions.

Urpriest
2013-01-17, 02:10 PM
Quicken doesn't let you cast on others' turns, and Disjunction has a standard action casting time. You don't get to cast your spell until after Disjunction has been cast.

morkendi
2013-01-17, 02:14 PM
I had cast my spell, but not used my move action yet.

Urpriest
2013-01-17, 03:04 PM
I had cast my spell, but not used my move action yet.

Then it was still your turn, and the vampire would not have gotten to act.

morkendi
2013-01-17, 05:29 PM
A lot of times I hold an action unless I have to move. The question is how the spells would work out.

GnomeGninjas
2013-01-17, 05:33 PM
A lot of times I hold an action unless I have to move. The question is how the spells would work out.

If you delay you cannot interrupt someone else's action and you cannot ready a move action so what you did was illegal.

morkendi
2013-01-17, 08:16 PM
A quickened spell is a free action. A normal spell takes time. My dm let me take the free action because i had not moved. I was just looking to see how the spells would interact.

Khantin
2013-01-17, 08:23 PM
A quickened spell is a free action. A normal spell takes time. My dm let me take the free action because i had not moved. I was just looking to see how the spells would interact.

There's no way to know this by RAW as it is outside the rules. If your DM is treating your quickened spell (which is a swift action iirc) as a readied action (which takes a STANDARD action to prepare), then the readied action goes off just before the condition which triggers it.

Douglas
2013-01-17, 08:53 PM
Leaving aside the house ruled way the sequence of actions happened, here's how Disjunction on your Shadow Well would work:
Disjunction ends spells "as a Dispel Magic spell does".
Dispel Magic ends spells as if their durations had expired.
When Shadow Well's duration runs out, the subject returns to the real world. This, incidentally, triggers a will save vs being frightened.

So, you'd be back where you were, and if you failed a will save you would be forced to run away on your next turn.

A spell's effects generally all occur simultaneously, and you were on another plane at the time the Disjunction was cast, so you would not be affected by it.

Net effect, yes you do successfully avoid the Disjunction, but now you have to save or be frightened.