PDA

View Full Version : How many Anklets of Translocation can I wear at the same time?

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 03:16 PM
As the title says. Each anklet can only be used 2/day, so can I wear 5 pairs with only one pair of anklets active at a time? When one pair burns out, another pair becomes active. As I recall, you could wear multiple magic items on one slot but only one of them is active at any time. So if one anklet becomes inert, another one should activate right? Oh I hope this is legal. Removing, storing, retrieving, and wearing anklets would eat up my move actions.

Gildedragon
2013-01-17, 03:23 PM
I think this falls under DM territory, and as a DM I'd rule that the burned up one is still using the slot up, otherwise what you describe is functionally identical to an improved anklet of translocation, and you ought to pay the markup

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-17, 03:26 PM
Switch them out as you go. Same thing with Healing belts.

Answerer
2013-01-17, 03:32 PM
As I recall, you could wear multiple magic items on one slot but only one of them is active at any time.
I don't believe that this is correct. I think you have to actually take off one anklet and put a new one on. This probably takes a couple of rounds, or at best a full-round action, and it probably provokes.

But you can own as many as you like.

ericgrau
2013-01-17, 03:34 PM
Pay for crafter upgrades as you go for more uses/day. Same price, less silly and questionable.

andromax
2013-01-17, 03:42 PM
Switch them out as you go. Same thing with Healing belts.

Healing belts have to be worn for 24 hours before they will function, so 'switching them out' isn't going to work.

It'd work for the anklets but assuming you didn't want to go through the trouble.. you could either apply it to the item again and pay extra or make the additional anklets unslotted items.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 03:48 PM
Okay, plan B then. say I wear 5 pairs of anklets and one pair burns out. I use a move action to remove the burned out pair, dropping them if necessary and freeing up the feet slot. Wouldn't this activate one of the four remaining anklets? So I do this until I burn out all of them. Seems fair? I just pre-wore them instead of gearing up in the middle of battle, and only one pair is active at any given time and I still burn move actions to dispose of the burned out anklets. So? Would this work?

Morbis Meh
2013-01-17, 03:52 PM
Healing belts have to be worn for 24 hours before they will function, so 'switching them out' isn't going to work.

This is not correct, you do not have to wear it for 24 hours before the effect work, I just read the entry in the Magical Item Compendium and it made no mention of such a requirement.

The only I item I can think of with a delay time is the Ring of Sustenance which requires a week (I beleive) of wearing before the effects activate.

hymer
2013-01-17, 03:53 PM

Hallelujah! Praise be! I am delivered!
Where does it say that?

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 03:54 PM

It'd work for the anklets but assuming you didn't want to go through the trouble.. you could either apply it to the item again and pay extra or make the additional anklets unslotted items.

I'm sorry, but the healing belt description in the MIC says nothing about the 24 hour requirement. Was it errata'ed?

andromax
2013-01-17, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, but the healing belt description in the MIC says nothing about the 24 hour requirement. Was it errata'ed?

No, apparently I'm making things up again... maybe my DMs just a **** and I never checked that.

andromax
2013-01-17, 04:05 PM
Yeah he texted me back... thats totally our house rule.. im a dummy. hahaha.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-17, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't it be much easier, not to mention cheaper, if you just got a custom anklet with no daily limit? At worst it costs the same as the five 2/day anklets.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 04:10 PM
Back to topic please. Would my plan B work? And yes I really would prefer an anklet with no daily limits. Can anyone help me with the pricing? I'm not very good with custom magic items.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 04:11 PM
Wouldn't it be much easier, not to mention cheaper, if you just got a custom anklet with no daily limit? At worst it costs the same as the five 2/day anklets.

Except that it's not a given for such custom items to be allowed. :smallwink:

Deepbluediver
2013-01-17, 04:15 PM
This sort of question is why I hate the "magic mart" style game worlds.

A rule requiring a 12 or 24 adjustement period sounds like a good one. Maybe if you want players to be able to use new items quickly, so that there is only an adjustment period when changing to a new item in a previously occupied spot.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 04:54 PM
Just reread the Magic Items on the Body entry in the DMG. It says "if a character puts on another magic cloak on top of one he is already wearing, the second cloak's power does not work." If I took off either one of those cloaks, either the one I was already wearing or the one I just wore, the remaining cloak's power would work. I see the same thing with the anklets. It doesn't matter if I wear 2 or 5 anklets, the important thing is one of them is active at any given time. The rest would just not work and if one burns out I'd just remove it as I would remove the cloak above and one of the remaining anklets would work in it's place, same as the cloak. I only need one pair to be active.

EDIT: All I want to know is, is this legal by RAW? If not, why not?

koboldish
2013-01-17, 04:59 PM
I don't know if this was in the rules, but I rule if you can have as many anklets active as you have ankles. You have to take one off to make the other active. I would say full round to do that.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 06:17 PM
As I said, when one burns out, I take it off in order for the next anklet, which up to now didn't work, to come online in a sense and work. Again I repeat, I only need one pair to work at any given time. The reason why I proposed to wear 5 pairs simultaneously was to remove the need of equipping a new pair in the middle of combat, which is impractical. It's far easier to remove a pair of anklets than to remove and equip another pair of anklets. It's really not that weird seeing someone wear five pairs of anklets.

Chilingsworth
2013-01-17, 06:58 PM
Just noticed something: Isn't the item actually an Anklet (note, no plural) of Translocation? I think that's what koboldish was refering to, maybe?

Ryulin18
2013-01-17, 07:03 PM
Because the anklets take up a slot, you can't have numerous items on one slot. You would have to use a standard to remove it, a move to store it, a move to pull out another and another standard to attach the new one.

You'd be better to make one with a larger pool. As houserule, to improve a magic item beyond its book specs, you pay 150% of the original cost to add the same effect again.

Crake
2013-01-17, 07:15 PM
I'm fairly sure it would be cheaper to just make an infinite use anklet instead.

DMG says charges per day reduce the cost by (5/uses per day). Thus it should be 2.5x cheaper than an infinite use anklet. Just multiply the cost of an anklet by 2.5 and hey presto, infinite uses, no need to waste time swapping items out.

You'd probably need to make it yourself though

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 07:29 PM
Just noticed something: Isn't the item actually an Anklet (note, no plural) of Translocation? I think that's what koboldish was refering to, maybe?

Hey you're right! Jeez. Don't know how I missed that. I was always under the impression that it came in pairs. Anyway I wouldn't have this problem if it didn't take so many actions to remove and equip, and I quote, a "simple leather ankle-band". I'd be okay with a full-round action to get it over with. But as ryulin said, it takes two move actions and two standard actions. Effectively two turns just to do the switch.

Btw it costs 1,400 gp.

qwertyu63
2013-01-17, 07:47 PM
Because the anklets take up a slot, you can't have numerous items on one slot. You would have to use a standard to remove it, a move to store it, a move to pull out another and another standard to attach the new one.

You'd be better to make one with a larger pool. As houserule, to improve a magic item beyond its book specs, you pay 150% of the original cost to add the same effect again.

He is saying he wants to exploit the rule that says only one at a time works. There is no rule against wearing more than 1 per slot, but only the one you put on the earliest will work.

He plans to use one up, then use the standard to remove it (and the move to store it, or the free to drop it), but then another one he already has on activates (as it is now the one he put on the earliest).

koboldish
2013-01-17, 07:53 PM
I have a solution! Just grow more ankles!

Ryulin18
2013-01-17, 07:59 PM
He plans to use one up, then use the standard to remove it (and the move to store it, or the free to drop it), but then another one he already has on activates (as it is now the one he put on the earliest).

Except for having any self respecting DM throw a book at him, slots are their for a reason. This argument loops back to rings the number of rings you can wear. You have 10 digits, why not have an activation magic item on each and use them at different times? Because it gets munchkin!

I'd make a character with more bling around his neck than Mr T, more rings than a pimp, bracers all the way up his arm and anklets running all the way up his legs. As long as they are all activation items, I can pick and choose which ones work, by this logic.

Trust me when I say this won't be allowed. Magic static? Crossed wires? I'm sure the DM will give you some reason.

Spuddles
2013-01-17, 08:02 PM

You spend all your standard actions at the beginning of the day putting them on, the remove them with a move action as you use them up. You then just hold them in your hand until they're convenient to stow.

Deepbluediver
2013-01-17, 08:11 PM
You spend all your standard actions at the beginning of the day putting them on, the remove them with a move action as you use them up. You then just hold them in your hand until they're convenient to stow.

Which only works until you need to do something else with your hands like grasp a weapon or cast a spell.

Ryulin18
2013-01-17, 08:18 PM
You spend all your standard actions at the beginning of the day putting them on

does everyone forget you cant have more than 1 magic item per slot? its footwear, single slot.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/Lorderl/The%20Dead%20of%20Knight/Magic_Item_Sheet.jpg

Person_Man
2013-01-17, 08:23 PM
I'm not great on the RAW of magic item use or creation.

But if you're willing to pay a bit more (28,500 gp) you could buy a Psicrown of the Evader (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psicrown_of_the_Evader), which grants the far superior Hustle, plus Freedom of Movement and Flight. It has limited uses via an internal Power Point reserve, but Hustle is a cheap power, so you're looking at something like 100+ charges.

And if you have UMD (or at least one level of Paladin or Cleric) you may also wish to consider a Wand of Knight's Move (Spell Comp, Cleric 3 or Paladin 2) in a Wand Chamber (Dungeonscape?). It also grants you Swift Action movement, to any location within 5 ft per caster level that leaves you in Flanking position. That what, 4,500 gp for 50 uses, and maybe a bit more if you want to bump the caster level to increase the range?

Or if you have a Feat available, there's a bunch of other options depending on your build.

Answerer
2013-01-17, 08:24 PM
does everyone forget you cant have more than 1 magic item per slot? its footwear, single slot.
Because the rule has been quoted in this thread and shows that you can have more than one item per slot. It's just that first one put on is the only one active; the others do nothing. Joe plans on taking off the first one when it's done, so the second one becomes the new "first" and becomes active. By RAW, it should work.

I cannot imagine any DM who would prefer that to just having a single item have more uses, but perhaps his does.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 08:31 PM
One ACTIVE magic item per slot. Nothing prevents you from wearing more as long as only ONE magic item per slot is active. Even the DMG gave examples of wearing more than necessary(the example with the three rings and the two cloaks). Nothing prevents you from doing so BUT only one magic item is active per slot. Or two for rings.

jguy
2013-01-17, 08:36 PM
At that point you might as well just stat out anklets that have an At-Will ten foot teleport as a swift action since if you can go with 5 anklets why not 50? You are buying so many so you can do it as many times a day as you want.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-17, 08:40 PM
Because the rule has been quoted in this thread and shows that you can have more than one item per slot. It's just that first one put on is the only one active; the others do nothing. Joe plans on taking off the first one when it's done, so the second one becomes the new "first" and becomes active. By RAW, it should work.

I cannot imagine any DM who would prefer that to just having a single item have more uses, but perhaps his does.

I'm not planning to break the game in any way. I think it's a fair trade wearing the dormant anklets until needed to using two full round actions just to switch. After all, these aren't clockwork greaves I'm putting on, they're just simple bands of leather. You could even slip one off and slip another on in less than 6 seconds IRL. I think two turns are too much for so small a thing. And it is just one piece, it's not even a pair.

Spuddles
2013-01-17, 09:50 PM

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w60/Lorderl/The%20Dead%20of%20Knight/Magic_Item_Sheet.jpg

The rules don't actually say that. You're probably confusing the rules with a videogame.

The last magic item equipped in a slot is active; the rest are non-functional. Relevant rules have already been quoted upthread.

Curmudgeon
2013-01-18, 12:02 AM
The last magic item equipped in a slot is active; the rest are non-functional. Relevant rules have already been quoted upthread.
Except for having that exactly backward, you're right. :smallwink:

Gildedragon
2013-01-18, 01:53 AM
Joe, this is the sort of thing one asks one's DM if one can do.
As far as magic items go, this one's power is pretty good for its cost. I would, rather than try the anklet shenanigans, which are dubious at best, ask for a version with more charges. I'd increase the cost 1.5 times for every 2 charges added, with a 4 charge version costing 3800, a 6 charge being 8750 and so on, essentially paying for the action economy. For an unlimited use one I'd go for the 50 charges putting it at around 4 billion pp.

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 02:16 AM
As far as magic items go, this one's power is pretty good for its cost. I would, rather than try the anklet shenanigans, which are dubious at best, ask for a version with more charges. I'd increase the cost 1.5 times for every 2 charges added, with a 4 charge version costing 3800, a 6 charge being 8750 and so on, essentially paying for the action economy. For an unlimited use one I'd go for the 50 charges putting it at around 4 billion pp.

Wow, that's excessive. The usual guidelines indicate that an unlimited-use version should cost roughly 3500, I believe, and while cranking it up to as much as 7000gp might not be out of line, any further seems really bizarre.

Gildedragon
2013-01-18, 03:15 AM
the question is then, not one of unlimited uses, but of enough uses. I thing 10/day is more than sufficient. An unlimited use anklet is pretty strong.

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 04:29 AM
the question is then, not one of unlimited uses, but of enough uses. I thing 10/day is more than sufficient. An unlimited use anklet is pretty strong.

Amusingly, WotC's guidelines price 10/day at twice the value of unlimited use. Don't bother.

Thiyr
2013-01-18, 04:43 AM

If your pricing is gonna be based off the custom magic item creation guidelines, that would cost twice as much as an unlimited use version. The charges/day modifier to the price of an unlimited use item is to divide by (5/charger per day), or in other words (charges per day/5) times the cost of the unlimited use version. so once you hit 5 charges per day, it's the same cost as just having it be an unlimited use version.

And honestly, there's little difference between "more than can be used typically in a day" and "unlimited". The only limit that 10 puts on you that unlimited doesn't is using it for long-distance travel, but that's a small price to pay (at least imo) for taking out another resource to keep in your books. The "enough uses" logic is only really useful for things that you'll only need once or twice, given the way pricing works out and how combat in 3.5 tends to work

only1doug
2013-01-18, 06:16 AM
Except for having that exactly backward, you're right. :smallwink:

Now that doesn't make any sense:

.daerhtpu detouq neeb ydaerla evah selur tnaveleR
.lanoitcnuf-non era tser eht ;evitca si tols a ni deppiuqe meti cigam tsrif ehT

.emagoediv a htiw selur eht gnisufnoc ylbaborp er'uoY .taht yas yllautca t'nod selur ehT

See, now it's exactly backwards.
What a waste of time, and yet I just couldn't resist...

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-18, 06:21 AM
Now that doesn't make any sense:

See, now it's exactly backwards.

Not quite. Your backward "upthread" has a typo.

:smallbiggrin: I couldn't resist either.

only1doug
2013-01-18, 06:23 AM
Not quite. Your backward "upthread" has a typo.

:smallbiggrin: I couldn't resist either.

I don't know what you mean, no typo's in my post :smalltongue:

anymore

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-18, 07:41 AM
Yeah he texted me back... thats totally our house rule.. im a dummy. hahaha.

Not so. You offered information as used by your group. It isn't your fault that you didn't know it was a house rule so cookie to you for keeping track of your DMs whims.

ALL OF THE COOKIES! MWAHAA HAHAA! (http://www.yummymath.com/wp-content/uploads/cookies-1024x764.jpg)

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-18, 07:47 AM

Sold it! My DM said yes. I had to reduce the number from 5 to 2 though. Can anyone help with the pricing for an unlimited use/day or a 10/day anklet of translocation. Like the exact prices? I got confused when I read that the 10/day version costs more than the unlimited use/day version.

TuggyNE
2013-01-18, 08:00 AM
Sold it! My DM said yes. I had to reduce the number from 5 to 2 though. Can anyone help with the pricing for an unlimited use/day or a 10/day anklet of translocation. Like the exact prices? I got confused when I read that the 10/day version costs more than the unlimited use/day version.

Making an item with a certain number of charges/day reduces the cost from unlimited use by a factor of 5/#charges. That is, if you have a 1/day item, it's total value drops to 1/5 what it would be otherwise. (A 2/day item goes to 2/5, and so on.)

Since the Anklet(s) are 1/day, multiply by 5 to figure out how much they're worth unlimited, or by 10 to figure out a hypothetical 10/day price.

Joe Eskimo
2013-01-18, 08:10 AM
Thank you. I got all I needed. Thanks to everyone who contributed! :smallbiggrin:

ericgrau
2013-01-18, 02:42 PM

It's because 5/day = unlimited is just a guideline. The DM should not always allow unlimited use items. Cure light wounds is given as a specific no-no. But anything you can't spam onto multiple targets between combats is usually a good candidate for a fair unlimited use item.

The only problem with an unlimited use anklet of translocation is that you can travel 10 feet faster between combats. Based on boots of striding and springing, that's worth 3,000 gp. So if we do the 5/day cost + 3,000 gp we get 5/2*1,400 gp + 3,000 gp = 6,500 gp. That should be roughly a fair price for unlimited use anklets. Maybe a little more because it stacks with the boots, but OTOH maybe a little less because it doesn't give you any extra speed beyond the teleport during combat.

Note that it's already a powerful item for its cost, so the DM may want to adjust the price or disallow unlimited use altogether. OTOH with cross class ranks in tumble you can do almost the same thing at level 9 or so, and the above isn't super cheap on a level 9 budget. Even after you subtract off the 3,000 gp speed bump. So whatever the fair price may be I don't think it's too far off.

Spuddles
2013-01-18, 05:22 PM
Unlimited teleportation seems pretty useful.

Depends on the campaign and how attached to ****ty pit traps your DM is.

Lapak
2013-01-18, 05:38 PM
I'm not planning to break the game in any way. I think it's a fair trade wearing the dormant anklets until needed to using two full round actions just to switch. After all, these aren't clockwork greaves I'm putting on, they're just simple bands of leather. You could even slip one off and slip another on in less than 6 seconds IRL. I think two turns are too much for so small a thing. And it is just one piece, it's not even a pair.I know you already have an answer and it doesn't involve this, but I'd definitely dispute the bolded part if you had pursued this avenue. Even granting that you already had it in your hand, I'd question six seconds to complete a swap unless you agile enough to manage it standing up. A combat raging around you would make it riskier and slower; getting the spare out - even out of a pocket - would make it slower... I seriously don't think that twelve seconds is overstating how long it would take to switch a piece of decoration that's attached to your ankle.

ericgrau
2013-01-18, 07:52 PM
Unlimited teleportation seems pretty useful.

Depends on the campaign and how attached to ****ty pit traps your DM is.
Compared to taking a 10 on your jump check?

They're good for getting past reach and setting up flanks. I suppose the really annoying part is that you can get out of grapples. Seems way underpriced compared to freedom of movement. But that's almost as bad on the 2/day version.

animewatcha
2013-01-18, 10:13 PM
Since there is a side discussion going on on charges/day versus unlimited. How does one convert an item like healing belt where there is a different effect in accordance to number of charges used in one shot.

Story
2013-01-18, 10:32 PM
The only I item I can think of with a delay time is the Ring of Sustenance which requires a week (I beleive) of wearing before the effects activate.

The Deadwalker's Ring, Ring of Arcane Supremacy, and Ring of Enduring Arcana all require a 24 hour acclimation time. I'm not sure why they bothered with the later two though, since being able to take them off and put them on doesn't really help you.

Except for having any self respecting DM throw a book at him, slots are their for a reason. This argument loops back to rings the number of rings you can wear. You have 10 digits, why not have an activation magic item on each and use them at different times? Because it gets munchkin!

Because you'd have to waste tons of actions taking them on and off? Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's hardly OP.

Writing a quick Python script to do something cool is never a waste of time. You wouldn't be silly enough to do something like that by hand would you? Heck you don't even need a script. All it takes is one line of code.

?uoy dluow dnah yb taht ekil gnihtemos od ot hguone yllis eb t'ndluow uoY .emit
fo etsaw a reven si looc gnihtemos od ot tpircs nohtyP kciuq a gnitirW

only1doug
2013-01-19, 04:56 PM
Writing a quick Python script to do something cool is never a waste of time. You wouldn't be silly enough to do something like that by hand would you? Heck you don't even need a script. All it takes is one line of code.

It would take me awhile to learn enough about coding to write the code...

My programming skills are rather more focused than that.

(if you need you're building management system programmed then I can probably help (at least for Trend, TAC Vista, TAC continuum, Johnson controls Metasys, Simmtronic (Lighting), LonWorks)).