PDA

View Full Version : [Halo d20] Project Freelancer: Mother of Invention

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 04:07 PM
"This is the Mother of Invention. Go ahead."
"Mother of Invention, this is Zeta Six Four Niner. Carrying four high priority packages and requesting docking instructions." The Pelican drop ship soars through the skies of Onyx, cutting through the clouds as a massive UNSC frigate, the Mother of Invention, comes into view just above them.
"Alright Zeta Six Four Niner, please advance and dock in hanger bay twelve. We will have a party to extract the high priority packages."
"Good, I love parties."

The Pelican quickly flies around the far side of frigate, finding the open hanger bay doors and gently landing inside, finding a few dozen UNSC soldiers standing at attention.
The Pelican doors open up, allowing you four and the two UNSC soldiers to exit, followed by the pilot. "What? No balloons? I thought you said this was a party."

The two UNSC soldiers walk forward and stand at attention on both sides of the Pelican as you four, dressed in your casual clothing walk towards the welcoming party. AS you do, a tall, dark man steps past the soldiers, reading the rest of the report on his datapad as he walks into the clearing and looks you all over as he starts talking in a soft, calming voice. "Welcome, all of you. I am the Counselor here for Project Freelancer. I certainly hope your trip was pleasant."

Comissar
2013-01-17, 04:26 PM
Uncertain of whether she was expected to be following military protocol, Jersey saluted as the Counselor approached.

"Yes, sir." Feeling she ought to fill the silence, she continued, "Our pilot was able to ensure a smooth journey from the surface."

Even as she said it, she was wincing inside.

What kind of inane comment is that? "Able to ensure a smooth journey"? Good going, genius.

Demons_eye
2013-01-17, 04:30 PM
"Sir! Yes sir!" Fred reply's as he falls inline as he starts his salute. He only takes the barest of seconds to look around to see the station. He had never been outside of earth before.

Wonder what kind labs they have here. Wonder what surgery in Zero G would be like.

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 04:50 PM
The pilot quickly walks past you, heading out of the hanger. "You're welcome. You know where I'll be Counselor."

The Counselor nods as the pilot walks around the corner. "Please, follow me." He slowly starts walking to the back of the hanger with you four in tow as the five of you board onto the elevator and begin heading up. "We are certainly most pleased at your current testing results, and that you have accepted the invitation to join Project Freelancer. The Mother of Invention holds everything you will need, and has been set up for you agents only. The soldier's still have all the necessary facilities, but the top two floors here are for agent access only. There is a state of the art training field, recreation centre, armory, and of course living conditions. All of your personal belongings have already been set up in your rooms, but we do have to ask you to leave one thing behind. I am not sure if this was mentioned to you earlier, but your identities must be abandoned for as long as you are a member of Project Freelancer. You are a prototype experiment, and must not be able to be traced. You do understand and agree, Agent, California, Michigan, New Jersey, North Dakota, correct?"

Charisma Thief
2013-01-17, 04:59 PM
North finishes tying up her hair again after adjusting if when she exited the Pelican and fixes up her hoodie. "Understood sir."

Comissar
2013-01-17, 05:17 PM
Jersey was a little taken aback by this revelation, she hadn't been aware that they were expecting her to abandon her identity.

"Yes. Sir."

Absent mindedly, she ran a hand through her hair.

I guess this is a completely new beginning then.

Demons_eye
2013-01-17, 05:28 PM
"Yes Sir. Fred says thinking much on what he had been told.

Prototype Experiments. I can live with being Michigan but being Prototypes sounds less appealing than I first thought.

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 06:15 PM
The Counsellor nods at your approval as the elevator doors open, revealing the command bridge of the Mother of Invention. The Counsellor quickly walks off the elevator and over to a control panel as you all walk off and look around.
The bridge itself is quite breath taking. Hundreds of monitors surround you with a few dozen people walking around beneath you under the solid glass floor and metal catwalk.
As you approach the large holo-table in the centre of the room, a large screen to the side lights up a bright blue, showing all your Agent identities and a number beside them.
1 | New Jersey | Active | 0
1 | Michigan | Active | 0
1 | California | Active | 0
1 | North Dakota | Active | 0
The Counsellor then walks back over to the table that you are huddled around. "Normally for our agents, the Director himself will be providing your mission briefings, but due to his need elsewhere, I will provide you with your first briefing."
The table suddenly lights up and shows the holographic layout of a coastline base. "The UNSC has currently had a large scale traitor movement. About five thousand soldiers have left the UNSC and they are quickly gaining followers. They have begun organizing under the name The Insurrection. The assignment of their defeat and capture has been given to Project Freelancer, and we are taking this opportunity to use them as a testing ground to further our research with the A.I.s. We have currently found a small outpost they have secured on Onyx here thanks to our recon teams. This is your first assignment: The defeat and capture of this outpost. You must be fully dedicate to this assignment and to Project Freelancer. These soldiers are still in their UNSC uniform, but they are no longer members of the UNSC. They are your enemy. There is no holding back, and there will rarely be and orders to capture alive."

The Counsellor clears his throat as the table magnifies the outpost, showing a small steel dock stretching over the water. "This will be your point of entry. Your most effective strategy will be a quick rush and eliminate. Out recon states there is roughly 20 Insurrection soldiers holding this outpost, so if you do not eliminate them fast, you will quickly be surrounded and out gunned. Your mission will be complete when the outpost has been secured, and a Pelican will dispatched for your pick up. Any questions?"

http://i.imgur.com/XQCPO.png
These are not the maps, these are just the low detail holographics

Demons_eye
2013-01-17, 07:28 PM
"How fast is fast? If backup for them is close enough to get to them after a few minutes I don't know if we can hold it that long." Michigan asks. He studies the hologram intently as he listens to the answer.

A score board? This is more than an experiment. This has been thought out. Wonder how long we'll stay a team.

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 07:59 PM
The Counsellor looks over your concern with a comforting smile and answers in that same calm, reassuring voice. "There are two other outpost we have been harassing with hit and run attacks. Any reinforcements in the area should be backing up those two outpost, which are an hours drive away. Once you have secured this outpost, we will use it as our foothold in the area. We just need you to clear it out. Your skill has proven you are able for the job, and you will save us many casualties we would have if it was a front on assault."

Demons_eye
2013-01-17, 08:54 PM
"Whats in this building here?" Michigan asks pointing to the top right the map. "Are there any files from computers you want or someone left alive to interrogator?"

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 09:03 PM
"That appears to be the main control building for the outpost. At least that is what the scouts have reported, and of course, if you find any intel of value, definitely bring it back."

Charisma Thief
2013-01-17, 09:33 PM
North finishes her scan of the map, then looks back up at the Counsellor. "What about our gear and equipment, and how long before we depart."

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 09:36 PM
"All of your gear is two floors below us. As you exit the elevator, walk down the hall, and your lockers will be in plain view. As for your departure, Zeta 649 will be dropping you off at the LZ within the hour."

Demons_eye
2013-01-17, 10:04 PM
"One last question from me Sir. Whose team leader?" Michigan asks "Not volunteering, I just don't want to step on anyone's toes Sir."

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 10:15 PM
"That's up to you all to decide. You all have the same score standings on the board right now, so it's an even toss. There will be missions in the future that you will be assigned to that could be solo, or there could be many teams, or a team you have never met before. It is your responsibility to get the assignment done. How you do it is up to you."

Charisma Thief
2013-01-17, 10:38 PM
"Ok sir, it'll be done." With that, North spins on her heel an heads back out with the group down the elevator to the lower levels and walks down the corridor, turning into the locker rooms.

AnimeHero
2013-01-17, 10:53 PM
The Counsellor nods as you all depart. "Good luck agents."

The corridor you walk down after the elevator ride seems to be easily laid out. The first hall has only the elevator and maintenance shafts, but it forks into two paths. On the far side of these halls is 50 separate rooms with what looks like quite pleasant living conditions. Far from the four bunks per room most of the crew sleeps in. As you come across the four doors out of these fifty that are closer, you find your agent names engraved in a plate labelling the rooms as yours. Inside are all of your personal belongings that the Counsellor promised.
In the centre of the two halls is the locker rooms. Lined with five rows of ten full sized lockers and a shower facility in the back. As you inspect the lockers and find your own in the very center of the room, they are easily large enough for you to walk into, and currently hold a full suit of metal alloy armors. Similar to the other soldiers throughout the UNSC, but jet black with different color trim to mark you as what Agent, along with a two letter abbreviation of your state name on your right breast plate and your left shoulder.
The trim is decided by your speech color.
Finally, at the end of both halls are two large doors that open up into teh Agent's recreational centre. A large comfy room with half a dozen couches, pool tables, tvs, stereos, and even a gym attached on one side and a small pool on the other. Everything an agent would need to relax and unwind after the rumoured suicide missions that follow Project Freelancer.

Charisma Thief
2013-01-17, 10:59 PM
North is the first to step off the elevator and start wondering around the halls, finding her room with ease and does a quick count the make sure all her belongings are still present. Hmm... I guess he's true to his word.
She then starts wandering around and heads down to the rec centre and starts inspecting it and just curiously looking around before heading back to find her locker.

OracleofSilence
2013-01-18, 12:12 AM
California makes a beeline to his locker and suits up, then heads to the rec room to meet with his team mates. "Still in their armor, huh? Anyone else going to be imagining its their old drill Sergeants were shooting? Ahhhh, I kid, I kid."

Charisma Thief
2013-01-18, 12:25 AM
North quickly gets changed from her hoodie and jeans to her new sharp looking armor. "Our old drill sergents? Haha, I have a few old mentors. Just be careful what you joke about, there could be a completely different feeling if you actually have to do it or see it."
As she finishes suiting up, she ties her hair back into a bun as she walks back to the elevator, carrying her helmet as she heads for the hanger. "Six Four Niner should be happy to see us again. Wasn't much of a break though."

OracleofSilence
2013-01-18, 12:59 AM
California looks at her curiously "Nah, I was from earth. Saw some old friends die myself before I ended up in the Navy. Anyway, not even sure why their sending us. I mean sure, its a test, but unless the facility itself is valuable, its seems an orbital strike would be more useful. And faster, for that matter."

He puts on his helmet, and lights flash briefly inside the visor as his HUD boots up. Now, sounding slightly electronic: "But hey, we're new people now eh? Lets go out there and prove it."

"Anyway, its not like it matters. Enemies of the state right? Shouldn't be to hard..."

California straps on his guns and follows Dakota into the hangar, seeming more on edge then before.

Comissar
2013-01-18, 02:58 AM
Jersey explores her new home with some interest, it looked pretty well equipped. She could see herself spending a lot of time in the gym especially. After having a good look around, she returned to the locker room to suit up. She didn't have anything to add to California's jokes about the military, but his comment about an orbital strike caused her to speak up.

"There's no point destroying what you can use, and like you said," Her helmet comes down over her head, distorting her voice, "makes a great proving ground for us"

Clipping her SMG and grenade to her waist, and slinging her rifle over her shoulder, she follows the other two back down to the hangar. As the pelican comes into view again, she lets out a low whistle.

"I didn't really get a proper look at that thing before, think they'll let me fly it later?"

OracleofSilence
2013-01-18, 09:53 AM
"I think 649 Might have a thing or two to say about that." California pauses and looks over his shoulder, yelling back "Hey, Michigan, you coming?"

Comissar
2013-01-18, 11:15 AM
With a mock pained voice, Jersey replies "But I'm sure I could fly it safely, I'd barely scratch the paintwork!"

OracleofSilence
2013-01-18, 11:38 AM
"From what I've seen of our illustrious pilot, we might be luck to have any paint at all by the time we get back."

Demons_eye
2013-01-18, 03:35 PM
I wish it came in Camo the rogue thought flies through Michigan's head as he sees the armor. Did I just think that? Damn it starting to become my Dad.

Following the others he suits up and leaves for the hanger arriving just in time to hear Jersey talk about flying the ship. Finally he speaks up "On your other shoulder California. Since we are all hear already shall we fight over who's team leader or can we just give it to you California?

AnimeHero
2013-01-18, 03:44 PM
The elevator descends as the four of you adjust your armor and your weapons. As you step out onto the hanger bay, you find 649 standing on the loading ramp of her Pelican, barking orders to her copilot. "What do you think you're doing?! I said load up the fuel cells for our bird, not the whole frigate! Hurry up!"
649 steps down from her ramp as you four approach. "So ya came back again. We're just finishing up our prep, so we'll be off in a few minutes. Load up and grab a seat if you're ready."

Comissar
2013-01-18, 04:36 PM
Jersey nodded a greeting to 649 as she climbed into the passenger compartment at the back. As she swung into her seat, she commented "And what makes you think California's the default for leader?" Her tone softened, becoming more playful, "What's the matter, scared of being lead by a girl? What do you think of that North?"

Charisma Thief
2013-01-18, 05:41 PM
North walks up the ramp and grabs a seat across from Jersey. "I think they are scared of getting shown up. She double checks her rifle for the sights and her mags as she lets out a little smirk as the two guys load up onto the Pelican. "Be careful boys, it might hurt when I take that top spot on the board. Then you'll have to follow my orders and like it. Haha. Nah, never mind, liking it is optional.

OracleofSilence
2013-01-18, 09:27 PM
California flops into a seat with his rifle across his legs, and glances around the Pelican "Ladies, Ladies, lets not fight, these things are best left to happen naturally." Cocking his helmet, California, in a similarly joking tone responds "Who's to say I don't like it anyway? I didn't get named California for nothing... In all seriousness, I am more suited for an advisory role. I know my tactics and navigation, but people aren't, my thing."

AnimeHero
2013-01-18, 10:38 PM
649 walks up the ramp behind California with her copilot. "Might as well put me in charge of the team. All I have to do is not pick you up until I get a team that agrees with me. Come on already, get your ass in gear and get the ship prepared!"
With 649 barking orders, her copilot just lets out a sigh and walks up into the cockpit.
"Now this is your only warning. If the enemy sees us advancing, they will close the gate and lock you all out and just pick you off, so you have to get in quick. That being said, I can't be seen or stay around to get shot at, so we're going to fly around a cliff on the east side of the outpost and spin around fast over the docks. When it's lined up, you will have two seconds to jump out before you're swimming to shore. Got it?"

Comissar
2013-01-19, 04:48 AM
Jersey grinned inside her helmet, the lack of formality within the group was refreshing. At 649's comment, she gave her weapons a once over to make sure they were functioning before commenting "Understood, we'll be in and out before you know it."

AnimeHero
2013-01-19, 12:10 PM
"Then load up and get ready! We'll be there in under five."

The Pelican starts humming as it powers on, and you feel a little jerk as it takes off quickly and soars out of the hanger bay. After a few moments of flying, the back hatch opens up, revealing the vast blue ocean just two feet below the Pelican.

649 then yells into the passenger bay from the cockpit. "Five seconds! You ready?"

Comissar
2013-01-19, 12:26 PM
Jersey jumps to her feet the moment the doors begin to open and, checking one last time that her weapons are properly secured, prepares herself to jump.

"Just say the word!"

OracleofSilence
2013-01-19, 12:46 PM
"No argument from me." California starts flipping through files on his wrist display, just to pass the time.