PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures

Lisselys
2013-01-17, 05:17 PM
I'm getting used to 3.5, and I've just found a terrible problem.
I can't find ANY miniature to use. I live in Italy and they're just nowhere to be found. I don't know if this is the right section but can you please point me a good site where I can find them?
And if I can't, why? What happened, and what do you use as minis?

Zombimode
2013-01-17, 05:38 PM
What happened, and what do you use as minis?

We use various pieces of board games as well as random stuff like dices and coins.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-17, 05:48 PM
http://www.reapermini.com/ is my preferred mini brand.

However, it's also very very common to use dice for minis. Each player can use a differently colored d4 for their character, and the GM can use d6s for enemies. Plus, you can turn each d6 to a different number, and use multiple colors of d6s, to make larger groups of foes easier to track.

I also use poker chips and other small tokens to indicate terrain features, or with a die on top to indicate the space a larger creature takes up.

Amidus Drexel
2013-01-17, 06:53 PM
I'm getting used to 3.5, and I've just found a terrible problem.
I can't find ANY miniature to use. I live in Italy and they're just nowhere to be found. I don't know if this is the right section but can you please point me a good site where I can find them?
And if I can't, why? What happened, and what do you use as minis?

I think the original 3.5 miniatures are out of production, so that might be your trouble.

However, it's also very very common to use dice for minis. Each player can use a differently colored d4 for their character, and the GM can use d6s for enemies. Plus, you can turn each d6 to a different number, and use multiple colors of d6s, to make larger groups of foes easier to track.

I also use poker chips and other small tokens to indicate terrain features, or with a die on top to indicate the space a larger creature takes up.

Agreed. All of the players in my group have minis (we have some pewter ones; I don't know what brand), but the DM normally uses d6s to represent the things we fight.

Also, we figured out the perfect use for d12s; scenery. :smallamused:

Devmaar
2013-01-17, 07:28 PM
We use the handful of miniatures that came with my 3.0 box set combined with my brother's LotR Warhammer miniatures

Dude_Here
2013-01-17, 07:54 PM
I know this sounds funny but I use large multi-vitamin pills(they fit perfectly on a 5' square) marked with a permanent magic marker-). I use abbreviations for the player characters: WB-warblade, WIZ-wizard, CLR-cleric, etc.. For the monsters I have two sets of 25: one has just the regular numbers and the other has hash marks on either side of the number. Also, I have 4 "counters" numbered 1-4 with edges deeply marked for captains and lieutenants; and of course one labeled, "Boss".

I also bought some green/tan army men but there bases seemed a little too big for the 5' DnD square.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of fantasy miniatures but most are made of lead and unpainted; and I prefer not to use them until they are primed, painted, and clear coated.

Since their out of production, obtaining official 3.5 Dungeons and Dragons miniatures are going to cost you plenty. Take a look on E-Bay and you'll see what I mean.

Deophaun
2013-01-17, 08:12 PM
If you want new D&D minis, there's WotC's Dungeon Command (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndmin/398050000), which includes reissues of some of the 3.5 line.

Personally I'm waiting for Reaper's Bones collection to flesh out more. Pewter minis are nice aesthetically, but too fragile for my group.

Person_Man
2013-01-17, 08:31 PM
Ciao paisano.

I'm partial to just buying used miniatures off of eBay or some other auction site. Tons of different games use them, and used board games tend to be quite cheap. I picked up a ton of cheap Heroscape miniatures and a bunch of stackable terrain for under $50. Just poke around for a few weeks, and I'm sure you'll find something you like.

nedz
2013-01-17, 08:44 PM
There are plenty of suppliers online — not as good as choosing them by eye.

I have link to a list site here (http://theminiaturespage.com/oldlib/fan/25mm.html).

Also you can just use counters — coins with numbers on them will do at a pinch.

The-Mage-King
2013-01-17, 09:35 PM
Honestly, regarding mini's, I'd just suggest going with paper minis/pawns.

The former are fairly cheap if you have a printer, you can run off what you need for the night when you design encounters, and are non-randomized. You're sure to have the number of Orcs you need if you've counted them beforehand, after all.

There are some free ones from here (http://iheartprintandplay.blogspot.com/) that are very nice, as well as easy to set up.

Pawns, though, are printed chunks of cardboard that have character pictures on both sides. Paizo (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/pathfinderAccessories/tokens) has some that are of good quality, and from what I've seen fairly durable. When I eventually find or form a gaming group, I'll see about using those. Cheaper, easier to store and transport, durable... What's not to like?

Qc Storm
2013-01-17, 09:35 PM
One of my friends is pretty big on Warhammer 40k, and pretty good at painting them. So we use that.

So what if the wizard has a gun?

**** gets extra-real when the Hydra is represented by a Dreadnought.