PDA

View Full Version : Rewarding my players

javijuji
2013-01-17, 06:46 PM
So before we started our session I asked all the players to give me their character pages the day before so I could check that everything was in order. Lucky for me they all put a lot of work into their character pages and did no mathematical mistakes. They also wrote character stories and backgrounds even though I didnt ask for them.

Because of this I want to give each one some sort of reward. Now I dont want it to be money, xp, or gold. But something that has actual "emotional value". I was thinking of something along the lines of a family heirloom of something of the sorts. I dont want them to know these items are magical or how to use them (at least at first).

Im open to giving them custom stuff or items from dragon magazine. Any suggestions? The party is lvl 5 and consists of a Fighter/Barbarian (Break DC), a Dwarf warmage (going force missile mage), another barbarian (Focused on rage)

RaefgarRockfist
2013-01-17, 06:56 PM
Look into legacy type items, I played in a game a few years back that had fun little items for each of the players that scaled with them, and they made a nice additions. :smallcool:

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 06:57 PM
Look into legacy type items, I played in a game a few years back that had fun little items for each of the players that scaled with them, and they made a nice additions. :smallcool:

Except remove all penalties/costs associated with the items. Seriously.

RaefgarRockfist
2013-01-17, 07:01 PM
Except remove all penalties/costs associated with the items. Seriously.

This. Forgot to mention it.

javijuji
2013-01-17, 07:02 PM

I like this idea. Could you help me? Im not sure how to create weapons of legacy.

RaefgarRockfist
2013-01-17, 07:08 PM
I like this idea. Could you help me? Im not sure how to create weapons of legacy.

I think there's a resource guide out there somewhere, but I'm unsure of it's location. Most of the stuff we had / used was from a template, with flavor thrown in. Anyone? :smallsmile:

javijuji
2013-01-17, 07:14 PM
The dwarf warmage has a custom flaw "Dracophilia" he want to procreate with dragons. Maybe a legacy weapon that can help him achieve this?

Im thinking bonus diplomacy check vs dragons, suggestion spell or something of the sorts. Maybe at high lvl draconic polymorph?

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-17, 07:24 PM
The dwarf warmage has a custom flaw "Dracophilia" he want to procreate with dragons. Maybe a legacy weapon that can help him achieve this?

Wow, this actually went on to be a serious question, but at this point in reading it, I have to say, my brain kind of exploded for a moment.

Um, sadly, any kind of dragon-related item might be interpreted poorly by dragons (teeth, claws generally have to come from dead dragons, not popular among living dragons). Perhaps a scale, as some dragons are known to enchant the scales that they shed and give them as gifts. Pretty sure there is a section in Dragon Magic that deals with "dweomered dragon scales" or somesuch.

mattie_p
2013-01-17, 07:26 PM

Im thinking bonus diplomacy check vs dragons, suggestion spell or something of the sorts. Maybe at high lvl draconic polymorph?

Balin: Thorin, what are you doing? Smaug is in there!

Thorin: I know. And she is smokin' hot!

javijuji
2013-01-17, 08:24 PM
Balin: Thorin, what are you doing? Smaug is in there!

Thorin: I know. And she is smokin' hot!

Exactly. I gave him a +2 on Social checks vs dragons and half dragons. And he has to try and seduce them to procreate. As it stand he has no way of getting a dragon to even consider listening to him. He doesnt even have diplomacy as a class skill.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 09:01 PM
I mean, there are dragons that do that -- there are tons of different types of humanoids with differing amounts of dragons blood, you know? -- So it has to happen, one way or another. But I would probably posit that it tends to happen with people that the dragon in question finds... reasonable. Not necessarily high charisma (someone can be pretty but have moderate charisma, and just be very submissive, perhaps), but someone that the dragon considers interesting, probably in a mentally and socially stimulating way. Have a male dragon of one of the social breeds (steel, brass, song, or mercury; look them up!) offer to polymorph any object or Last Breath (the Druid spell, a version of Reincarnate, it involves killing and reincarnating the person until they are in a suitable species/gender) him to a female, perhaps?

And there's more than just dragons and half dragons... there are a TON of races that are implied to have anywhere from .5 to much less dragon blood, all over D&D...

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-17, 09:05 PM
Exactly. I gave him a +2 on Social checks vs dragons and half dragons. And he has to try and seduce them to procreate. As it stand he has no way of getting a dragon to even consider listening to him. He doesnt even have diplomacy as a class skill.

In light of the serious nature of the proposal, I am TRYING VERY HARD NOT TO LAUGH.

See the bold. I don't think a dwarf should ever, regardless of Diplomacy check, be able to roll high enough to get a dragon into bed. MAYBE if the dragon is already into this kind of thing (several types of dragons are known to go around in humanoid form...let's not consider cohabitating with non-polymorphed dragons...at least not publicly consider it).

This may be the very definition of unrequited love. Sounds like it could be a LONG campaign, if very...um...interesting?

EDIT: Not that I was saying inter-species mating is impossible, or even uncommon, but that under most circumstances, it's the dragon that initiates such relationships. Purposely courting dragons when one is a humanoid is very, very novel.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 09:45 PM
EDIT: Not that I was saying inter-species mating is impossible, or even uncommon, but that under most circumstances, it's the dragon that initiates such relationships. Purposely courting dragons when one is a humanoid is very, very novel.

Level 17 Druid. Draconic Wild Shape. Young Adult Shadow Dragon. Young Adult Song Dragon. Young Adult Steel Dragon. Enlarge Person.

elonin
2013-01-17, 09:59 PM
In light of the serious nature of the proposal, I am TRYING VERY HARD NOT TO LAUGH.

See the bold. I don't think a dwarf should ever, regardless of Diplomacy check, be able to roll high enough to get a dragon into bed. MAYBE if the dragon is already into this kind of thing (several types of dragons are known to go around in humanoid form...let's not consider cohabitating with non-polymorphed dragons...at least not publicly consider it).

This may be the very definition of unrequited love. Sounds like it could be a LONG campaign, if very...um...interesting?

There is the 1/2 dragon template for a reason.

javijuji
2013-01-17, 10:07 PM
This is what I have so far

Legacy Item: _______ (I dont have a name yet)
I still didnt choose an item type. I will turn one of the items he has equipped into the legacy item when he acomplishes the Least Founding Ritual. If he strips naked and all he has left is a ring then that will become the Legacy Item.

Least: lvl 5 (500 xP)
Turn a dragon from Hostile to Friendly CR = o +

Lesser: lvl 11 (1100 XP)
Lay with a dragon CR = o +

Greater: lvl 17 (1700 XP)
Hatch a half dragon baby of your own blood.

Omen: Produces male dragon odor

JaronK
2013-01-17, 10:07 PM
I'm a fan of giving out characterful feats that aren't very useful, and yet which are very fitting. Stuff like Brachiation and the like. Just give out one such feat per player, customized to their backstory.

JaronK

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 10:09 PM
The Legacy items are all from the book "Weapons of Legacy".

You should look that up, that's what we are talking about... no need to come up with them on your own.

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-17, 10:11 PM
So I definitely admit that it is possible. But I believe that most dragons are (perhaps stereotypically) characterized as strong, proud, at times arrogant, and fiercely independent. Trying to seduce one, with or without polymorph, is at best ill-advised.

Now, having an actual relationship with one is far from impossible. In fact, one of my favorite characters that I ever made was an imported athasian halfling druid that fell in love with a copper dragon druid whom the party had saved from a curse that he'd incurred in the distant past. So, I'm definitely the poster-child for "yeah, that's cool, loving dragons, sure, why not?"

However, it is definitely a dangerous way to get your kicks. Even dragons characterized as being good and sociable could easily get insulted and kill the insolent insect that thought he was...blah blah, insert dragon role play. Imagine a normal woman incensed by male sexual advances. Now imagine that woman is a dragon.

If you want to put an add in the Aasternian Herald seeking dragon love, good, fine. Just beware the kind of dragons that such an add is likely to turn up.

javijuji
2013-01-17, 10:12 PM
I'm a fan of giving out characterful feats that aren't very useful, and yet which are very fitting. Stuff like Brachiation and the like. Just give out one such feat per player, customized to their backstory.

JaronK

That can also be a good option. Any recommendations for these players? Ive already mentioned the dwarf who is sexually attracted to dragons. I still have to come up with something for the Barbarian who seems to love smashing doors (Who doesnt?). He is a totem barbarian who has been trained in 3 different villages (Boar, Bear, Ape). Sadly out of the 3 players this one took the 3 totems just to rack up more feats. He didnt stick to only 1 totem like you are supposed to.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 10:14 PM
Spirit Totem or normal Totem? You can have one Spirit totem and one Normal totem; they are different types of totems, and trade away different things.

javijuji
2013-01-17, 10:19 PM
Spirit Totem or normal Totem? You can have one Spirit totem and one Normal totem; they are different types of totems, and trade away different things.

The ones from Unearthed Arcana. "Totem Barbarian"

The choice of a totem must be taken at 1st level, and cannot be changed later except under extreme circumstances (such as the barbarian being adopted by another tribe).

He took Boar lvl 1 (Diehard during rage)
Bear lvl 2 (Improved Grapple)
and Ape lvl 3 (Power Attack)

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-17, 10:23 PM
That can also be a good option. Any recommendations for these players? Ive already mentioned the dwarf who is sexually attracted to dragons. I still have to come up with something for the Barbarian who seems to love smashing doors (Who doesnt?). He is a totem barbarian who has been trained in 3 different villages (Boar, Bear, Ape). Sadly out of the 3 players this one took the 3 totems just to rack up more feats. He didnt stick to only 1 totem like you are supposed to.

There is a feat called "Dragonfriend" in Draconomicon. It gives bonuses to interact with dragons. Sounds appropriate, and isn't a particularly powerful feat. I believe it's also a pre-req for a couple prc classes in that same book that you might want to make available to this particular player as the campaign goes on, assuming s/he accentuates this aspect of the character's personality.

As for barbarian, if he is going with an animal theme, perhaps Animal Devotion from Complete Champion. Although, if this player is already bending some rules for his character, then Animal Devotion might be too good, as I think it scales with level. Maybe some kind of speak with totem animals special ability? Situationally useful, rather cooler than a bonus feat, though

Whatever the case, make sure that none of the players gets a bonus something that is noticeably better than the bonus something that the other players get. A good way to avoid this is to let each player choose one of several options, thus taking the weight off you if it later seems unfair. But it seems that you have a group of fairly good players on your hands, so it should work out.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-17, 10:27 PM
The ones from Unearthed Arcana. "Totem Barbarian"

The choice of a totem must be taken at 1st level, and cannot be changed later except under extreme circumstances (such as the barbarian being adopted by another tribe).

He took Boar lvl 1 (Diehard during rage)
Bear lvl 2 (Improved Grapple)
and Ape lvl 3 (Power Attack)

Yeaaa, you aren't allowed to do that... only one. Remind him that.

JaronK
2013-01-17, 11:11 PM
For the Dragon obsessed dwarf, there are plenty of interesting feats in Dragon Magic to chose from. For the Barbarian, Altered State from Dragon 332 is fun (it lets you invoke your totems for power via vision quests). Mad Foam Rager from PHB2 could be fun too.

JaronK

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-18, 12:24 AM
For the Dragon obsessed dwarf, there are plenty of interesting feats in Dragon Magic to chose from. For the Barbarian, Altered State from Dragon 332 is fun (it lets you invoke your totems for power via vision quests). Mad Foam Rager from PHB2 could be fun too.

JaronK

Hmm, interesting with the Mad Foam Rager. Never had a player that used it, but I gave it to many of the orc barbarians that were assaulting a village the party was defending, and I have to say, it can profoundly affect combat in the hands of someone with high damage output. Several npcs died specifically due to this feat, and one player was dropped simply because he didn't have enough hp to outlast the orc barbarian that charged him, even though several party members had wounded the barbarian already.

Would be interesting to see how players would think to use it. As DM, it was just for more staying power before the orc finally gave up the ghost and went to join Gruumsh over in Acheron.

javijuji
2013-01-18, 06:23 AM
Yeaaa, you aren't allowed to do that... only one. Remind him that.

"cannot be changed later except under extreme circumstances"

Am I reading this wrong? WOuld he be able to get different totems each level if he wrote a reallly good character story?

Norin
2013-01-18, 10:13 AM
Nasty mental image of dwarf humping a huge red lizard. :smalleek:

Interesting character to say the least. Im my group there would be way too much lol'ing at this to even be able to play the game with such a char.

Best of luck with the Legacy weapons though, they seem like a good option and i hear people have alot of fun with them on different chars. :smallsmile:

herrhauptmann
2013-01-18, 10:46 AM
Where's it say that? CChamp?
I mean, obviously you can't take two totems that both trade away the same thing, like two totems that both take away fast movement or DR in exchange for something else.

Lapak
2013-01-18, 01:48 PM
"cannot be changed later except under extreme circumstances"

Am I reading this wrong? WOuld he be able to get different totems each level if he wrote a reallly good character story?I don't have a book in front of me, but 'changed' typically means 'CHANGED', not 'added on to.' That is, if you qualify for whatever unusual circumstance allows you to switch Totems, you'd be trading Boar for Bear, not adding Boar to Bear.

(Before any fluff-based argument about 'not forgetting old skills' or anything like that comes up: the idea is that you're fighting in the style of/inspired by a totem beast, and that's why you fight differently than a regular Barbarian. You can't fight like a Lion and a Bear at the same time.)

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-18, 03:45 PM
I don't have a book in front of me, but 'changed' typically means 'CHANGED', not 'added on to.' That is, if you qualify for whatever unusual circumstance allows you to switch Totems, you'd be trading Boar for Bear, not adding Boar to Bear.

(Before any fluff-based argument about 'not forgetting old skills' or anything like that comes up: the idea is that you're fighting in the style of/inspired by a totem beast, and that's why you fight differently than a regular Barbarian. You can't fight like a Lion and a Bear at the same time.)

Now I'm wondering - if one was from the Gryphon lodge,, could he fight as both a Lion and an Eagle? :smallwink: