PDA

View Full Version : Newb Questions and your advice and opinions.

SortofANoob
2013-01-17, 07:00 PM
*Note* Before you reply with something such as "TL:DR", the shorthand version of my questions are listed below...So :tongue:

So I have played a few campaigns for 3.0 and 3.5, but never really a Pathfinder one...I really don't know why, it seems like it is very similar to standard 3.5 rules however it seems a lot more cleaned up (especially with skills and Feat trees) and easier to customize (class archetypes, favored class options, race customization). I would think the majority of DM/GM's out there would adopt the PF rulings over the traditional play-style...seeing as the need for homebrew content would probably be less in PF (just my guess).

Anyways, on topic now, we are playing a new campaign in an urban setting...While I can find a plethora (can't believe I actually spelled that correctly without using the spellchecker) of information on it for 3.5, I haven't come across much that are officially Pathfinder (aside from the likes or Urban Rangers and similar archetypes). Is the traditional 3.5 set-up better suited for a Urban campaign (keeping in mind that we aren't using the Unearthed Arcana rule variants either; however we are allowing homebrew feats, classes, etc. assuming that they are balanced and plausible), or vice-verse, or like most things it is but a matter of opinion? If you feel Pathfinder is better suited, then I would love so some advice on a couple of books or a collection to check out.

Also say we adopt this Urban Campaign (or start up a new campaign in the near future) to the Pathfinder Rulings, is there an informal way to streamline the processes of changing any 3.5 content over to the Pathfinder system?...Say for instance a player has a base class that doesn't really match any that we can find from PF. Do we just build it normally (of course taking in the changes like the Feat Progression and Skills list), or would it be better to try to twist it a bit to match up with the typical Pathfinder classes?...b/c it seams like in PF, most classes actually get a little bit more than their non PF equivalent (TRYING to gain abilities or feats at least once a level, including a capstone ability), as well as races having much more customization involved.

As I have never DM/GM'd before, and I doubt I would do an outstanding job at it on my own (at least at first until I got used to it). Are there any resources available that would help me start up a campaign, and pretty much just play it by the book, with limited actual DMing at first? I know there are the starter boxes (which I wont buy anyways), but the ones that I have played from before all seemed a little boring, even though the action starts right off the bat usually. Basically I would look for something that will start me off in a single direction (and contain more actual adventuring and combat as opposed to being very social skill heavy), then after a few runs it opens up and leaves me and/or my players with more freedom. This book doesn't have to be a PF specific book, however I will more than likely adopt the PF ruling variants to it (especially the Skills)

Lastly (for now at least), between our campaigns I would like to set up a series of Epic battles and Adventures (as opposed to a full campaign) with high level characters. Basically roleplay will be limited and the whole campaign will take place only during the adventuring part (IE, no traveling, no player Keeps to worry about, etc.). It would just be something to do between the down time when the DM of our current campaign doesn't have enough story to play that week. I am thinking of something along the lines of having each player build a character to level 20, allowing them to use Gestalt Characters, and then they also have 10 epic levels (also considering 20 epic levels instead) that cannot use gestalt classes. And to make it more fun and unique they also get to max out one of the 3.5 homebrew Scaling Feats (assuming they fit the requirements) as well as max out a homebrew Racial Paragon HD. So basically they would be super-powered (extra strengths coming from the Gestalt levels, and the bonus gained from the scaling feat) level 33 or 43 (most racial paragon seem to max at 3 HD) level characters.
So are there any adventure books that I can follow that might be suited for such characters?...I would want it suited for a minimum of 3 players but would probably prefer it to suited for 5 or 6. If you know something that might fit, then great...If you know something similar (such as something that would be more like a 10 man raid), then let me know, I can always make adjustments such as having each player roll up 2 characters.

Sorry for the lengths of these, I tend to go into too much detail on forums.
Here are the questions condensed:

1) Which do you believe is better suited for an Urban campaign (standard 3.5 or PF) and why? Any PF specific books with Urban content?
2) Is there an easy way to adjust non-PF content to fit in better with other PF content?
3) Any advice for a book to follow for a 1st time DM who is not very creative or quick? lol
4) Know of any high-octane campaigns for above-average Epic level characters?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-17, 07:27 PM
For the first two questions, 3e and PF are basically the same game. Neither is going to have a huge advantage for an urban game, you could use the one bunch of contents made for urban games - cityscape and its web enhancement - almost as well for PF as for 3e, and it won't matter at all if you throw a 3e class like duskblade or scout into a PF game. Just tweak the classes based on the updated skill rules, and raise classes with d4/d6 HD by one die size, and you're basically there.

So basically they would be super-powered (extra strengths coming from the Gestalt levels, and the bonus gained from the scaling feat) level 33 or 43 (most racial paragon seem to max at 3 HD) level characters.
The game falls apart long before characters hit level 20, and building characters for those levels is just a huge amount of homework. I'd set your "epic" game at ECL 12 and save everyone a headache - it's probably a higher level than most of your campaigns will go anyway.

I'm not sure about a good starting adventure book. The Council of Thieves PF adventure path picks up at level 1 and has some neat bits, but it really relies on players being hooked on its theater minigame. Might be worth looking into.

SortofANoob
2013-01-17, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I'll def. look into The Council or Thieves and some of the other Adventure Paths as well.

And as far as the Epic adventure one is concerned, my players wont be working their ways up to such levels, they will just build their character at that high of level at character creation. And those characters would just be used for short (albeit with very challenging and long battles). And most of the time they would have to end up in a boss fight type situation that could go either way.
Mainly I am looking for epic battles, having to fight characters that might be considered a match for the likes of Raistlin (if your familiar with the Dragonlance books at all), so whatever universe/world we go off of, they are considered to be the strongest of the strongest kind of thing.
So basically it would have more of the elements that d20-based computer games have rather than the full pen&paper experience. Like I said, its just something that we can do if our main campaigns aren't ready, but we still want to game.
What I will probably have to end up doing is just build short campaigns like this based off of my friends short stories (two of my gaming buddies write stories based off characters we have played in pen&paper and in playing Neverwinter Nights as well). I just don't have the know-how, nor the confidence in DMing to even consider attempting such a task yet.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-01-18, 03:43 PM
And as far as the Epic adventure one is concerned, my players wont be working their ways up to such levels, they will just build their character at that high of level at character creation. And those characters would just be used for short (albeit with very challenging and long battles). And most of the time they would have to end up in a boss fight type situation that could go either way.
Mainly I am looking for epic battles, having to fight characters that might be considered a match for the likes of Raistlin (if your familiar with the Dragonlance books at all), so whatever universe/world we go off of, they are considered to be the strongest of the strongest kind of thing.
Yeah, I get that. But when you hit even level 15 or so, combat in the PF/3e turns into a test of which spellcasters can remember to be the most thorough when they pick out spells for a daily set of immunities and contingencies in the morning (Noncasters are bystanders at best; it doesn't matter what they do.) At best, the "epic combats" turn into a test to see who wins initiative and hits a luckily-neglected hole in the other guy's defenses; at worst, they're an overwhelming amount of paperwork and frustration for everyone at the table as some players get to essentially make up the game they're playing (casters can easily access arbitrarily high power levels through miracles, calling spells, simulacrums and so forth), while others sit around twiddling their thumbs (a fighter/noncaster doesn't have a prayer of even hurting a foresighted enemy that can teleport to the other side of the planet in a matter of seconds).

All the hyperbole about a fundamentally imbalanced system becomes increasingly true, even in low-optimization groups, as you pass ECL 9, and the paperwork just makes the whole thing worse.

That's why I'm saying ECL 12 is probably a better call - it's still higher than many campaigns will go, so your players can feel like they're playing a high-powered game with the movers and shakers of their countries - but character power is still held in enough check that casters don't just get to do (and probably succeed at) anything that crosses their minds.