PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat Gear

zoobob9
2013-01-17, 08:35 PM
I'm making a Mounted Combat Build, and I have no idea what to do for gear. It's a Druid 2/Fighter 2/Halfling Paragon 1/Wild Plains Outrider 2/Halfling Outrider 3. He rides a moose that serves as his animal companion and has the whole Mounted Combat Feat tree, as well as Track and Natural Bond.

As far as gear, I know that I want Rhino Hide from the DMG, a Charging lance from the MIC, and probably a shield of some sort. I have a total of 36k to work with. Are there any other specific magic items/items in general that I should look into?

Any official 3.5 material is fair game. Faerun, Core, Dragon Mag, even 3.0 Material.

docnessuno
2013-01-17, 08:41 PM
I'm making a Mounted Combat Build, and I have no idea what to do for gear. It's a Druid 2/Fighter 2/Halfling Paragon 1/Wild Plains Outrider 2/Halfling Outrider 3. He rides a moose that serves as his animal companion and has the whole Mounted Combat Feat tree, as well as Track and Natural Bond.

As far as gear, I know that I want Rhino Hide from the DMG, a Charging lance from the MIC, and probably a shield of some sort. I have a total of 36k to work with. Are there any other specific magic items/items in general that I should look into?

Any official 3.5 material is fair game. Faerun, Core, Dragon Mag, even 3.0 Material.

You will probably want to upgrade the lance with the "valorous" weapon propriety, a wand chamber and a wand of rhino rush.

Agent 451
2013-01-17, 11:50 PM
While it's nowhere near being even suboptimized, I find the mental image of a tiny halfling wielding a sugliin on top of a fully barded moose to be completely fantastic.

Nagukuk
2013-01-22, 12:23 PM
There is a shield (i think it may be exotic) called riders shield it allows you to use its shield AC for you and your mount.

If your DM is ok with custom or slightly custom magic items ...

Horse shoes of Zephyr
Horse shoes of Speed

Change them to leg wraps instead of horse shoes.

Custom item to add them together, perhaps even add slippers of spider climb you your Moose can dance on the ceiling too.

There are a pair of awesome horseshoes that give something like +10 int and perhaps fly? at least flaming - but i cannot remember the name or location currently AFB.

If your mount is smart enough, every ones favorite (25ish) anklets of trans-location could also be an option.

There are a bunch of lances and such in the 3.0 Arms and equipment guide that may give you some ideas. also magic bridles and saddles are an option. a special "strap you in" saddle would be needed for wall walking shenanigans.

also don't neglect a ranged weapon.

oh yea, you could also give your moose rhino hide barding to add to his charge damage if you cared to. Give him a necklace of natural attacks with Valorus (how ever the heck you spell it) as suggested above.

Some sort of shrink item might be handy for your mount also and a ladder to get up to the saddle LOL unless of course you are riding a medium sized moose (usually they are as big as a truck )

Agent 451
2013-01-23, 12:03 AM
There are a pair of awesome horseshoes that give something like +10 int and perhaps fly? at least flaming - but i cannot remember the name or location currently AFB.

Horseshoes of flame. Savage Species page 57, I believe.