PDA

View Full Version : Games you wish got a sequel that was done right

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 01:55 AM
...Or "games that should have been great and somebody should remake".

Whichever you prefer.

For me, two definitely stand out:

1. SPORE. The previews and the initial films were AMAZING. Then they dumbed it down beyond belief. I want SPORE, but with everything they had from the start, such as more realistic cell stage, less cute creatures, more realistic behavior (not only did they remove tons of animations so that the game could run on older machines, they removed a lot of "instinctual behavior") such as predators automatically dragging their prey in under bushes to be able to eat in peace, realistic flock behavior for smaller prey creatures etc etc.

2. Black and White. The first game was very well done for being able to run on the machines back then. I would LOVE to get my psychopathic tamaguchi Turtle to be adapted to high-end machines from 2012 though. Imagine the possibilities...!

factotum
2013-01-18, 02:53 AM
I assume you believe that Black and White 2 was not "done right", then? (Or didn't you know it existed? :smallconfused:).

For me? Again, Freespace 2. I want Freespace 3, goldarnit!

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 03:06 AM
I assume you believe that Black and White 2 was not "done right", then? (Or didn't you know it existed? :smallconfused:).

For me? Again, Freespace 2. I want Freespace 3, goldarnit!

No, I know about it. But it still wasn't done "right". I want to see it done now, with much better AI and more focus on the creature in general.

Blue1005
2013-01-18, 03:17 AM
FF 7 for sure, or any FF really would be awesome.

Also i would love to see a new breath of fire or illusions of Gaia.

NecroRebel
2013-01-18, 03:21 AM
Master of Orion 2 is the one that always pops out at me. MoO3, that thing they call a game, was a disaster, but MoO2 could be expanded greatly IMO.

The other one is Dungeon Keeper 2. None of the spiritual successors have been as appealing.

Grif
2013-01-18, 03:27 AM
Mass Effect 2/3.

There I said it. :smalltongue:

Vitruviansquid
2013-01-18, 03:57 AM
King of Dragon Pass.

In fact, not only did it not have a sequel, I don't think I've ever seen another game like it, period.

It belongs in a genre all its own.

Cespenar
2013-01-18, 04:12 AM
Mass Effect 2/3.

I'm going to up that.

Fallout 3. Bam.

*smokescreen*

Thiyr
2013-01-18, 04:12 AM
speaking of space-based games with the word Free in the title, Freelancer. I enjoyed the singleplayer immensely, and would enjoy it being revisited with a touch more variety, a bit more to do outside the campaign, and a bit more support for multiplayer.

Grif
2013-01-18, 04:25 AM
I'm going to up that.

Fallout 3. Bam.

*smokescreen*
I can one up that further.

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer_4:_Tiberian_Twilight)

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-18, 04:34 AM
Freedom Fighters. One of my favorite games on the PS2, full stop. Extremely fun, and there have never been any other games quite like it. Basically, it was a Third Person Shooter that gave you command of a squad of rebels. It had varied mission objectives that required good planning, decent squad AI, intuitive controls and very tight mission design. The multiplayer kept my friends and I going for weeks. Ended on a sequel hook. Will never get that sequel... :smallfrown:

Legend of Dragoon. Admittedly a rather poor localization (really, some very bad translation work here), but still one of the best JRPGs I've ever played. Fun timing-based combo systems made the turn-based combat at least a little more varied and interesting than most JRPGs. I love it, but there's basically no hope of it ever getting any more developer attention at this point.

Homeworld 3 needs to exist. Someday. If Relic ever gets bored of making games about Warhammer 40k and WW2... Yeah, I'm dreaming a pipedream on that one, aren't I? :smallsigh:

Anecronwashere
2013-01-18, 04:45 AM
Knights of the Old Republic.
2 and 3 need to be remade/made
No 1/2 finished release or an MMO that only had references to the original games

Also: Spore remake. Preferably in installments like Mass Effect.
Cell Stage is it's own game. Creature Stage is it's own game with the option to import your Cell Stage game and so on.
That way the devs can focus on each one into its own game with better AI
Maybe even splitting branches? Going into Spore: Ocean rather than Spore: Land with your creature leads it down a different path (that of an aquatic civilization rather than the Tribal Civ)

I would Love something like this (Though I admit it unlikely to get released, ever, at all, for any game):
Spore: The Beginning of Life
-Spore: Out of the Depths
--Spore: Nomads
---Spore: Settlers of the Land
---Spore: Runners of the Prairie
--Spore: Hunters
---Spore: Top of the Food Chain
-Spore: Into the Deep
--Spore: Undersea Tribes
---Spore: Kingdom of Atlantis
---Spore: The Abyss

Then all 5 (Settlers, Runners, Food Chain, Abyss and Atlantis) link to:
----Spore: Civilizations of the World
-----Spore: Moving up in the Galaxy

I'm absolutely sure no-one will ever make a 13-game series with splitting branches where you can run a lifeform from an amoeba to the galaxy-ruling dominant species
Or the slightly less cumbersome version 8 game version (combining Hunters and Food Chain. Undersea Tribes, Atlantis and Abyss. Nomads, Runners and Settlers)

Cespenar
2013-01-18, 04:52 AM
I can one up that further.

Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_Conquer_4:_Tiberian_Twilight)

Nah, that's not going to draw flak as much as F3.

*hides back into smoke*

willpell
2013-01-18, 04:54 AM
Deadlock: Planetary Conquest. A great little colony-building sim, though the tacked-on combat system was pretty worthless. Still, highly enjoyable just for the constructive aspect of the game - grow your population, manage resources, research technologies, manufacture spies to raid enemy colonies, even buy weapons from the black market to go on an early-game rampage and then have your colonists rebel at the scandal, forcing you to build a museum to improve their morale. With a more robust combat system and better random events, would be amazing; instead it's a little cult favorite of mine.

The "Sequel", Shrine Wars, was basically just a port of the original game with almost no added content, or so Wikipedia tells me. Adding insult to injury, the original game was largely enjoyable due to the music, and now when I run it on a modern machine, the music refuses to play, as do the cute sound effects that make the colony seem alive...what's left is hardly worth playing. Incredible sadness. I really want to see this game resurrected as like an Iphone app or something (not that I have an Iphone, but I don't have a next-gen computer either, and Iphones at least are semi-affordable so I could imagine getting one a lot sooner), maybe given a bit of new content. I wanted to see the natives of the planet you're colonizing made into a faction of their own, with the ability to build the Shrines that you instead have to find randomly...being able to produce Culture and Research in the same building is otherwise impossible, and it's a nice touch.

I still consider the fluff of the game worthy of including in sci-fi RPGs of my creation. The Uva Mosk are one of the most interesting alien concepts I've ever encountered, and the Cyth are just <expletive>n' awesome.

In other news - would also love to see Shivers 3. Shivers 1 is still the best Myst derivative I've ever played; again, the music was a big piece of this (I think both Shivers and Deadlock are Sierra games, they were always great at that). It still haunts me to this day; luckily, I believe that disk will still run on my system. The sequel was interesting, but I prefer the original, and I would still drool over a third.

Oh, and speaking of Sierra, I remember loving a little adventure game called Gobliiins (three I's, which are replaced with pictures of the title characters in the package logo). It had a sequel, but I never played it and from what I hear it was an unnecessary overcomplication of the basic game.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-18, 06:06 AM
Dungeon Keeper 3 (DK2 was... okay, better in some areas, but I felt that it didn't live up to it's predessor. (That said, I'm hopeful for the upcoming War for the Overland.))

Tiberium [Thingy] 5, in which it is revealed the whole last game was a dream some git had (extra bonus points if they reveal Kane in the shower because that would be crapping hilarious.)

Red Alert 4 (because I actually liked the silly camp...)

Tie Fighter 2 ('nuff said...)

Jade Empire 2

Monkey Island (5/6?)

Hector (Badge of Carnage) 2, and Sax and Max season four, while we're on the subject...

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-18, 06:27 AM
You want to start a riot?

Final. Fantasy. VI. Shame they didn't put out anything worthy of the franchise until the PS2 came out.

On a more serious note... Sid Myers Alpha Centauri. Sure, the xpac was fun and all, but we are talking sequels here. They had several awesome mechanics here which did not go on into later Civ games that I really think should have.

Seconding MoO2. MoO 3 is about on par with Ultima 9 as far as the level of Betrayal to the fans.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-18, 06:31 AM
Seconding Jade Empire for a sequel.

Also, I would like to see Too Human done better, and on PC. I found the concept fascinating, but nothing I've heard about the actual gameplay made it sound like much fun... which stinks because like I said, fascinating concept.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 06:53 AM
Mass Effect 2/3.

I assume you mean "Mass Effect Two Thirds" since Mass Effect 2 was almost perfect in every way. It is the absolutely best one in the series after all.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-18, 06:59 AM
Well, if we're talking ME, then, a complete revision of the last fifteen minutes or so of ME 3, plus the bits with Kai Leng, wherein Thane kills his lame ass (if loyal) or you get to shoot him while he ponces around on the speeder during the Citidel so he falls off and does himself even more injury if not (and in that case he shows up to get his arse kicked again at Thessia, but even more cyborged up, like he's Darth Vader without the force powers or something...)

Ahem.

Sorry. Still can't let all that go...

Triaxx
2013-01-18, 07:03 AM
Why Fallout 3? It hasn't had a sequel yet.

Cespenar
2013-01-18, 07:06 AM
Why Fallout 3? It hasn't had a sequel yet.

Some people were mentioning the game that ought to be better, and some were mentioning the game that ought to have a better sequel. I opted for the former, in that example.

Eldan
2013-01-18, 07:32 AM
Well, if we're talking ME, then, a complete revision of the last fifteen minutes or so of ME 3, plus the bits with Kai Leng, wherein Thane kills his lame ass (if loyal) or you get to shoot him while he ponces around on the speeder during the Citidel so he falls off and does himself even more injury if not (and in that case he shows up to get his arse kicked again at Thessia, but even more cyborged up, like he's Darth Vader without the force powers or something...)

Ahem.

Sorry. Still can't let all that go...

I don't know. I haven't played 3 yet, but I'd quite like 2 to be, well. Less shootery, more explorey.

factotum
2013-01-18, 07:55 AM
Some people were mentioning the game that ought to be better, and some were mentioning the game that ought to have a better sequel. I opted for the former, in that example.

If that's the case, Fallout: New Vegas is really what Fallout 3 should have been, and they've even fixed the most heinous bugs by now!

KillianHawkeye
2013-01-18, 08:24 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Now, now, Chrono Cross wasn't *that* bad of a game, but it sure as heck didn't recapture the magic of Chrono Trigger like we were all hoping it would.

Cespenar
2013-01-18, 08:42 AM
If that's the case, Fallout: New Vegas is really what Fallout 3 should have been, and they've even fixed the most heinous bugs by now!

Yep, and I'm grateful to Bethesda for that and only that. Building a skeleton so that proper RPG designers could make a game on it.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 08:50 AM
Yep, and I'm grateful to Bethesda for that and only that. Building a skeleton so that proper other RPG designers could make a another game on it.

Fixed it for you.

I am thorn between NV and FO3 anyway. Almost everything is better in NV, but the landscape was much more interesting in FO3.

Cespenar
2013-01-18, 08:58 AM
One doesn't fix what's not broken. :smalltongue:

Anyway, at the end of the day: Opinions. And stuff.

Maxymiuk
2013-01-18, 09:40 AM
I am still waiting for a proper sequel to Ground Control.

Unseenmal
2013-01-18, 09:51 AM
Kill Switch: a PS2 3rd person shooter. It wasn't the most in-depth story-wise that you could play but it was fun. And fun is the point. I played that game so much I knew where the guys would come out from. There were other games similar to it that used the cover system but none of them were sequels to this. I wanted that sequel and it never came.

I also wish they would do a new Final Fantasy game correctly. I remember playing FF 1 thru 8 for weeks to months before beating them. FF13 took me about a week. That bothered me because I was SO excited to get back into the FF series and have me some strong game time ahead of me...to put it lightly....I was disappointed.

Eldan
2013-01-18, 11:10 AM
I am still waiting for a proper sequel to Ground Control.

Hm. Good suggestion. That's one I'll miss.

JSSheridan
2013-01-18, 11:24 AM
Deus Ex

Knights of the Old Republic

No One Lives Forever 2

Hazzardevil
2013-01-18, 03:15 PM
Chrono Trigger.

Now, now, Chrono Cross wasn't *that* bad of a game, but it sure as heck didn't recapture the magic of Chrono Trigger like we were all hoping it would.

Have you heard of Flames of Eternity? It's a fan-sequel, so I can't link you to it but it is good from what I've played so far.

GolemsVoice
2013-01-18, 03:58 PM
Ground Control, yes. Good one!

Aquanox 2 definitely needs a sequel. Not only was it a good game with an interesting world that I'd like to see more of, it also ends on a HUGE sequel hook. That never comes.

Sid Maier's Alpha Centauri, yes-yes, of course.

Eldan
2013-01-18, 05:25 PM
Aquanox! Man, that's a nostalgia blast right there. Love that game.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-18, 05:37 PM
Oh another thing they removed from Spore: Underwater creatures (and civs) (the fins and stuff you can attach to your creatures actually are leftovers from that).

Zevox
2013-01-18, 05:58 PM
Devil May Cry 3. They got pretty much everything right for an action game in that one - great combat, amazing boss fights, customizable play styles, silly story, cheesy lines, over-the-top action in cutscenes and gameplay. Then DMC4 comes out with a number of problems that make it a step back compared to 3, and now the series has been given to a completely different developer and rebooted. So sad.

Ogre Battle 64. The last new game in the Ogre series was Knight of Lodis, which, while still fairly good, was a more typical tactical RPG. I'd like to have seen more using the gameplay style of OB64.

Skies of Arcadia. Because the setting was pretty darn fun, and the airship combat was great - never seen another RPG quite like it there. Yet it got no sequels at all, done right or otherwise.

Seerow
2013-01-18, 06:02 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Somewhere
2013-01-18, 06:36 PM
Ogre should be treated as having two internal lines; Tactics and Battle. So, TKoL should be considered as next in line after LUCT. And, it's more of a gaiden instead of true sequel, anyway, as TKoL isn't a numbered episode, as opposed to MotBQ being 5, LUCT being... 7?, and POLC being 6, IIRC.

Ogre is a series that could use more entries, but noooooo, Square had to go and hire away the original Ogre people to work on FFT.

Anteros
2013-01-18, 07:24 PM
I'd love a proper Tactics Ogre sequel. Also The Last Remnant was a game I greatly enjoyed and would like to see another in its style.

factotum
2013-01-19, 01:21 AM
Aquanox 2 definitely needs a sequel. Not only was it a good game with an interesting world that I'd like to see more of

I'll agree that the setting for the Aquanox games was awesome, but if they ever did produce a sequel, I hope they'd fix some of the original's more glaring problems--in particular, whoever came up with the control scheme for those games was presumably sitting in a padded room scrawling his design ideas on the wall in crayon.

Krade
2013-01-19, 01:33 AM
I'm pulling for an HD Collection of the PS1 era Final Fantasies, myself. I'm okay with out them being completely remade, I just want to play them again and I don't have a Playstation anymore (PC is also not an option for me at the moment).

Emperor Ing
2013-01-19, 01:38 AM
Mass Effect 2. Took everything that made the original's gameplay totally unique and fun, and swapped 'em over for an incredibly bland and generic game of trench warfare that slowed combat to a crawl. Plus its storyline feels extremely vestigial to me. As if the events of it could just not exist in their entirety and it would have no effect on the overall storyline.

KotOR 2. Seriously, give a developer a razor-thin deadline, it's amazing the game came out as well as it did. I guess it's amazing writing saved it.

SWTOR spoilers

You killed off HK-47 and Revan! WTF?!

Metroid Prime 2 and 3. There was something sublime and magical about the first game that was just lost. I think it was how MP1 never used a single line of dialogue and required the player to actively explore their environment to get the storyline.

Now none of these sequels were bad by any stretch of the imagination (though i'll never forgive SWTOR. :smallannoyed:) ME2 had amazing characters and added quite a bit to the wonderful setting, KotOR 2 had awesome writing and mind-blowingly deep characters, and Metroid Prime 2 & 3 featured gorgeous environments and the rock-solid fun gameplay i've come to expect from the series. But compared to their predecessors there was something...lacking. Something that made them "almost but not quite."

huttj509
2013-01-19, 03:11 AM
SWTOR spoilers

You killed off HK-47 and Revan! WTF?!

HK comes back (to be killed again), and my impression was it'd be easy to 'not really dead' Revan.

Eldan
2013-01-19, 06:12 AM
I'll agree that the setting for the Aquanox games was awesome, but if they ever did produce a sequel, I hope they'd fix some of the original's more glaring problems--in particular, whoever came up with the control scheme for those games was presumably sitting in a padded room scrawling his design ideas on the wall in crayon.

Oh? I didn't really have problems with anything, other than weapon switching. It worked pretty well, I think. Mouse to turn, keys to move in any of the three axes.

factotum
2013-01-19, 08:10 AM
Oh? I didn't really have problems with anything, other than weapon switching. It worked pretty well, I think. Mouse to turn, keys to move in any of the three axes.

That's not how it worked when I installed it, but that's maybe because it insisted on using my joystick no matter what...although it only used the joystick for turning left and right; the other movements were still on the keyboard somewhere. Horrendous.

Kish
2013-01-19, 09:54 AM
HK comes back (to be killed again), and my impression was it'd be easy to 'not really dead' Revan.
"The story of this monologuing genocidal idiot who claims to be Revan and thinks he was the only Jedi who ever fell, ends with you killing him" is the least of the problems with SWTOR asking us to swallow that that's Revan.

...In fact, it's not a problem at all. He greatly needed killing and it's very satisfying to kill him. Now where are the "the lunatic who thought he was Revan is dead, the real Revan remains unaccounted-for" lines? Why do I have to act like I think the idiot was actually Revan if I speak of his claim at all?

lord_khaine
2013-01-19, 11:09 AM
Have you heard of Flames of Eternity? It's a fan-sequel, so I can't link you to it but it is good from what I've played so far.

lyder spćndende :)

JustPlayItLoud
2013-01-19, 02:09 PM
There are a lot of things that come to mind, but I'll mention the one I've been waiting for the longest. I want a proper sequel to Phantasy Star. The online games were good in their own right, but had nothing to do with the original series. I want to return to the Algo system and kill sand worms again. I know PSIV wrapped everything up nicely, but I've always thought there could ne more stories to tell. Will the people of the worlds approach the first thousand years after PSIV with apprehension? Will the people start to return to the level of technology pre-Great Collapse? These are questions I want answers to, and none of the fan made games have been any good.

Also, a new Pokemin Snap game would be awesome, since it's the most chilled out and relaxing game ever.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-19, 07:09 PM
"The story of this monologuing genocidal idiot who claims to be Revan and thinks he was the only Jedi who ever fell, ends with you killing him" is the least of the problems with SWTOR asking us to swallow that that's Revan.

...In fact, it's not a problem at all. He greatly needed killing and it's very satisfying to kill him. Now where are the "the lunatic who thought he was Revan is dead, the real Revan remains unaccounted-for" lines? Why do I have to act like I think the idiot was actually Revan if I speak of his claim at all?

You're right, going must-get-the-job-done-at-any-cost crazy is completely out of character for Revan... If you willfully ignore just what character traits set off his fall to the Dark Side the first time.:smallsigh:

Dude does not handle the whole "war" thing well, that's been pretty well established. Throw in three hundred years of psychic tug-of-war with one of the most evil beings in galactic history and you've got yourself a clear recipe for disaster.

Also, a new Pokemin Snap game would be awesome, since it's the most chilled out and relaxing game ever.

/seconded

MindALot
2013-01-19, 09:31 PM
I can't believe master of orion was mentioned... but not..

Master of Magic. There are a few games similar to it, but no true sequel.

Before I get pelted with possible sequels, I have tried:
Dominions 2 and 3
Elemental: War of Magic / Fallen Enchantress
Lords of Magic (special edition)

Railroad Tycoon 3 (Railroads doesn't count)

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3

Medieval Conquest. A few games like it.. but no true sequel.. and as short as this game was (2 maps I think), I enjoyed quite a few hours playing/replaying it.

Kjata
2013-01-20, 01:47 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Play 1.3 on insanedifficulty.com. It's the same game, but remade so well it feels like a sequel. Every single job is viable. There are no gamebreaking setups that allow you to cruise through the game. It's everything FFT should have been.

Also, unless you are a difficulty fan, try the content version. Actual 1.3 is Insanely Difficult.

Mono Vertigo
2013-01-20, 07:04 PM
Star Ocean.
More precisely, the 4th (which is technically a prequel, but whatever).
The gameplay's good, but most of the silliness involved in crafting was removed, and, most importantly, the plot and characters were mind-numbingly DUMB.
Just look at SO3. Not everybody liked the later plot twists, but I did, and the characters were intelligent enough and snarky. The 4th one? I can count 2 and a half decent characters in the party (out of 9!), and the only true white mage - which you get quite late in the game anyway - makes me want to smash her skull against a a wall every time she opens her mouth.
Change the plot slightly so it doesn't rely as much on everybody's stupidity/apathy. Give everyone some common sense. Show, don't tell (as in stop hiding key character information in the encyclopedia, that'll help making everyone more 3-dimensional). Make crafting funny again, because silly animations and/or the possibility of catastrophic failure is always amusing.
The game wasn't exactly bad, but it's a big disappointment after playing the previous games in the saga.

At least, unlike the third one, this one didn't involve nearly as many common monsters that effortlessly kicked your own party's ass. It's a little frustrating to get repeatedly slaughtered by glowing balls and flying fish past level 100.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-01-20, 08:25 PM
I'll second making a proper sequel to Kotor 2.

And I'll raise you a remake of Advent Rising. So much potential. So much lore, lost in time like tears in rain.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-20, 08:53 PM
Heavy Rain
Fallout 3 (New Vegas bored me to tears)
Braid
Dragon Age (though I guess DA3 is making this wish come true?)
Spore
Fable 1 (It all went downhill from there...)

Most of these I just wish would get sequels that are done right :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-21, 02:30 AM
Heavy Rain
Fallout 3 (New Vegas bored me to tears)
Spore

Fallout 4 is in the pipe, AFAIK, using Skyrim's engine, of course.

DA3: I haven't paid attention to this one... as I have said before, I won't be interested until fan response is really good. So I will miss out on a ton of stuff by not pre-ordering, I'm sure.

Spore: Defnitely, as I said before. They cut so very much from it.

Tebryn
2013-01-21, 02:48 AM

Most of these I just wish would get sequels that are done right :smalltongue:

Well, if you felt DA:2 wasn't done right than DA: Inquisitor isn't going to make your wish come true from all the Dev talk. It's going to have a lot of stuff from DA:2. Dialogue wheel, Human Voiced Protagonist. Keeping with the same actiony style combat. More focused specializations. All things I am looking forward to but not what a lot of people who said DA:2 ruined what was a good sequel because it departed to much from DA:O

Anecronwashere
2013-01-21, 04:39 AM
Since Spore is owned by EA (and their multiplayer-only policy) I have a pitch for them:

Multiplayer Space and Civ.

Have the standard Sporepedia stuff to import new non-EA-made creatures into your planet and run through Cell-Tribe (probably made longer and more involving hopefully, rather than seeming mini-games before the Space Freeroam)
Then when you hit Civilization you enter direct competition with either bots or other Civs. Winner is the one with x% of the world captured and then they get to go to the Space stage which is a global MMO Civ game.

You win Spore by having your guild own y% of the area you are in and get special perks you can add to your next creature.

Avilan the Grey
2013-01-21, 04:45 AM
Well, if you felt DA:2 wasn't done right than DA: Inquisitor isn't going to make your wish come true from all the Dev talk. It's going to have a lot of stuff from DA:2. Dialogue wheel, Human Voiced Protagonist. Keeping with the same actiony style combat. More focused specializations. All things I am looking forward to but not what a lot of people who said DA:2 ruined what was a good sequel because it departed to much from DA:O

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (totally without irony).

Jothki
2013-01-21, 04:49 AM
Quest Fricking 64. Yeah, you heard me.

Skies of Arcadia did scratch the stylistic itch for me, at least, if not the mechanical one.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-21, 03:56 PM
My big problem with DA2 was the story was just weak weak weak. It wasn't as interesting as DA:O by far. I was just bored. The mechanic changes didn't bother me nearly as much as the story did. But that's what I heard they were working on fixing, making it more like DA:O in that way, which is why I'm still hopeful about DA3.

In fact the horrible story is probably what my problem was with New Vegas :smallyuk:

Anteros
2013-01-21, 05:21 PM
My big problem with DA2 was the story was just weak weak weak. It wasn't as interesting as DA:O by far. I was just bored. The mechanic changes didn't bother me nearly as much as the story did. But that's what I heard they were working on fixing, making it more like DA:O in that way, which is why I'm still hopeful about DA3.

In fact the horrible story is probably what my problem was with New Vegas :smallyuk:

You thought the story of Fallout 3 was stronger than New Vegas? I honestly felt the reverse. Although I liked Fallout 3 for gameplay reasons, the story bored me to tears.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-21, 05:39 PM
You thought the story of Fallout 3 was stronger than New Vegas? I honestly felt the reverse. Although I liked Fallout 3 for gameplay reasons, the story bored me to tears.

Yeah, a remade FO 3 with Vegas mechanics, better ending (DLC helped though) would be best.
Combine the songs for the radio would be awesome.

Tebryn
2013-01-21, 07:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (totally without irony).

I for one am cheering it. I'd pre-order it if I was able.

Well, they've been working on the story for DA: Inquisitor since DA: Kirkwall Bugaloo went on the shelves or so the Devs say. Having followed the Dev Logs, I'm looking forward to the story they're setting up.

Gnoman
2013-01-21, 07:21 PM
I'd very much like a new game in the Empire Earth or Rise of Nations series. Rise of Legends, while a decent game in and of itself, did not really capture the essence of what I liked about the original, namely the technology progression from prehistory to future tech. Empire Earth 3, on the other hand, was simply a horrid abomination that should not have been made.

MLai
2013-01-22, 04:04 AM
Skies of Arcadia. Because the setting was pretty darn fun, and the airship combat was great - never seen another RPG quite like it there. Yet it got no sequels at all, done right or otherwise.
Skies Of Arcadia setting and ship mechanics + Grandia Extreme party battle mechanics + the English localization writers of PSP Final Fantasy Tactics = I'm yours forever.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-22, 06:43 AM
I'd very much like a new game in the Empire Earth or Rise of Nations series. Rise of Legends, while a decent game in and of itself, did not really capture the essence of what I liked about the original, namely the technology progression from prehistory to future tech. Empire Earth 3, on the other hand, was simply a horrid abomination that should not have been made.

Empire Earth 1 was great, the expansion was slightly less good, Empire Earth 2 was okay. Empire Earth 3 was... well, I forced myself through one playthrough, as I'd bought damn game, but wow. (Still unlike some other games I've bought - namely Perimetre, Star Trek New Worlds, Pool of Radiance ("3.0" version), I was actually able to complete a game...)

The one and only thing I can say for EE3 was I did find the silly unit quotes funny (at one point, "pause the game for five minutes while out laughing" funny) - but I imagine if one played much more than I did, they would get old, and aside from the EE3 had nothing to recommend it at all.

Empire Earth 4 (if 3 hadn't basically killed the franchise stone dead - it was that bad (Maddog basically disowned it)), done like the first one, would be awesome. There are few other games you can go from the stone age to sci-fi (And no other RTS I can think of).

A Spellforce 3 wouldn't be amiss either. The first one was a better RTS than an RPG, and the second a better RPG than an RTS; hopefully a third would do both elements better.

A new X-Men Legends wouldn't be amiss (since I think it was the first one that started Steve-Bloom-is-Wolverine), provided they didn't let any of the current comic writers (except for Majorie Liu) near it. Actually, let her write the story, and put Jubilee in as a major character (since she's a favourite of both me and the aforementioned) and I'd be golden...

(Of course, Ultimate Alliance 2 for the PC would have been nice, the frak-tards...)

Oh, yes, here's an obscure one: a sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, and really nicely put together space RTS story campaign (which was tragically - a bit like PS:Torment - not widely sold). I heard dark rumours there might have been one afoot a couple of times, though I don't think it's ever come to anything.

Yora
2013-01-22, 06:50 AM
I am waiting for Mirror's Edge 2. First there was nothing for years, then there was Yes, then it got canceled, then it got uncanceled again, and there hasn't been any word for the two years since.

I think the game might do well with new characters, as the story of Mirror's Edge is very self contained. Maybe even have it be a game with the same gameplay but a different location. I love the city of the game and it's visual style and don't want that to be gone, but it would be interesting to see what other style they can come up with that still stays true to the very small color pallete with very intense colors (http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/01/mirrors-edge-pc-review/b10.jpg). Simply doing the same thing again would be a waste of potential.

To be fair, the story of DA was weak, weak, weak as well. The story reaches it's climax at the end of the prologue, when you want to know what grand conspiracy is going on between two big bads and what their grand ultimate goals are. But turns out there isn't anything more to it, this was the whole deal and everything that's left in the main storyline is to walk up to a dragon and hit it until it's dead. The four side story-lines were great, but compared to the character focus of DA2, I think that makes the two games even.

MLai
2013-01-22, 07:50 AM
Play 1.3 on insanedifficulty.com. It's the same game, but remade so well it feels like a sequel. Every single job is viable. There are no gamebreaking setups that allow you to cruise through the game. It's everything FFT should have been.

Also, unless you are a difficulty fan, try the content version. Actual 1.3 is Insanely Difficult.
One question. Does this version of FFT have the PSP English localization for all the dialogue? Or is it the original PS English localization?

But turns out there isn't anything more to it, this was the whole deal and everything that's left in the main storyline is to walk up to a dragon and hit it until it's dead. The four side story-lines were great, but compared to the character focus of DA2, I think that makes the two games even.
That's not fair on DAO.
(1) The actions of the main human antagonist is not about some complicated nefarious Machiavellian scheme. It's about competing ideologies towards achieving the same end-goal. I feel the characterization was done very well, and that's what the real conflict was based on. Not on circumstances or endgame plot twists.
(2) The main character of DAO was about YOU, when filtered through one of several story origins which shapes your mindset for the entire game. That's what I felt was the genius of DAO: it made you role-play. DA2 sounds like the same old RPG convention of dumping you in the passenger seat of some already-named character with an already-established history, and you're just along for the ride of his story. Yes you make choices for him, but he's still somebody else.

Xaotiq1
2013-01-22, 09:24 AM
Games that need a properly done sequel. Right off the bat, Toe Jam & Earl, Star Tropics, Chrono Trigger (I've not seen the fan version, but I'll check it out pronto), Tactics Ogre (also mentioned before), Hagane, and Kid Icarus.

I'd like to see remakes of A LOT of games: Guardian Legend, FF:VII, FF:VII, Wild Arms 2, Saiyuki: Journey to the West, Parasol Stars, Earthworm Jim, any of the Wonderboy games, oh yeah, and Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest! That series was boss with awesome sauce. This list could go on for ever.

Also, what the hell happened to the side-scrolling beat-em-up? Can you imagine what a studio could do with Final Fight and its ilk with today's graphics?

Kish
2013-01-22, 10:02 AM
That's not fair on DAO.
Yeah, um, I don't get why anyone would think Loghain's reasoning was other than what it appeared to be. Certainly not because the game encouraged them to.

"After the actual thinking villain is defeated, you have this whole long section where we justify the collection of the armies and pretend Loghain wasn't the main villain of the game," on the other hand, genuinely was annoying.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-22, 10:08 AM
Ascendancy. The only 4X game that came within shouting distance of MoO2, and if it had sported decent AI, might have even surpassed it. Instead of making a real sequel, TLF ending up writing a crappy Ipad port of the original.

Somewhere
2013-01-22, 10:33 AM
Beat-em-ups largely died with arcades. Heck, technically they were fading (in a quantity sense) by the late 90's. At least it went out with a bang with Sengoku 3 and Knights of Valour...

...wait, well I'll be damned, there's Knights of Valour 2 - New Legend released in 2008, and Knights of Valour 3 in 2011. Perhaps they're leads worth pursuing, for those of us beat-em-up fans.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-22, 12:42 PM
Beat-em-ups largely died with arcades. Heck, technically they were fading (in a quantity sense) by the late 90's. At least it went out with a bang with Sengoku 3 and Knights of Valour...

...wait, well I'll be damned, there's Knights of Valour 2 - New Legend released in 2008, and Knights of Valour 3 in 2011. Perhaps they're leads worth pursuing, for those of us beat-em-up fans.

Double Dragon could have gone with a few decent sequels...

Somewhere
2013-01-22, 01:04 PM
It could, yea

...though more in the veins of 2 than 3. Cause 3 (particularly the arcade version) was pretty frustrating to play. Heck, it fits this topic, actually.

Gryffon
2013-01-22, 01:15 PM
Master of Monsters(for the Sega Genesis). If I remember correctly, the PS version was a horrible sequel.

Lhurgyof
2013-01-22, 01:24 PM
Banjo Tooie. Nuts and Bolts isn't really a sequel to it.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-22, 01:39 PM
Brütal Legend. That was a damn good game with an epic soundtrack. If only it got a sequal. Or at least some DLC that expanded the main game.

bobothegoat
2013-01-22, 02:43 PM
I've waited 12 years for a good sequel to myth 2. I still think that game was way ahead of its time.

I also want an actual sequel to Guild Wars. Guild Wars 2 is a sequel in name only. Instead of fixing the problems that Guild Wars had, they threw that whole game out the window and made a new, crappy game.

The LOBster
2013-01-22, 02:57 PM
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker needs a better sequel, since it's my favorite Zelda of all time! Phantom Hourglass just... Wasn't as good as other Zelda titles. Mainly 'cuz of the Temple of the Ocean King, which sucked all the fun out of the game. Also, Twilight Princess was originally planned as Wind Waker 2 before it became a murky brown rehash of Ocarina of Time. Still a great game, it just... Well, all of the other 3D Zeldas (including Skyward Sword) were better.

Zevox
2013-01-22, 03:00 PM
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker needs a better sequel, since it's my favorite Zelda of all time! Phantom Hourglass just... Wasn't as good as other Zelda titles. Mainly 'cuz of the Temple of the Ocean King, which sucked all the fun out of the game. Also, Twilight Princess was originally planned as Wind Waker 2 before it became a murky brown rehash of Ocarina of Time. Still a great game, it just... Well, all of the other 3D Zeldas (including Skyward Sword) were better.
I would have to disagree, honestly. Phantom Hourglass I thought was better than Wind Waker, and I'd in fact rate it as my #4 Zelda game - after Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess. It's Spirit Tracks that I'd call the disappointing sequel in that line.

The LOBster
2013-01-22, 03:08 PM
I would have to disagree, honestly. Phantom Hourglass I thought was better than Wind Waker, and I'd in fact rate it as my #4 Zelda game - after Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, and Twilight Princess. It's Spirit Tracks that I'd call the disappointing sequel in that line.

I thought Spirit Tracks fixed the main problem I had with PH - the central temple was in bits and pieces, and the dungeon items were more interesting. I love the snake whip, especially.

huttj509
2013-01-22, 04:57 PM
Ascendancy. The only 4X game that came within shouting distance of MoO2, and if it had sported decent AI, might have even surpassed it. Instead of making a real sequel, TLF ending up writing a crappy Ipad port of the original.

I shouldn't read this thread because of "but I LIKED that sequel..." feelings.

I should read this thread because of comments like these, that remind me of a game I enjoyed that I had COMPLETELY forgotten.

The Glyphstone
2013-01-22, 05:16 PM
I shouldn't read this thread because of "but I LIKED that sequel..." feelings.

I should read this thread because of comments like these, that remind me of a game I enjoyed that I had COMPLETELY forgotten.

The Shevar theme music still gives me the creeps.:smalltongue: Marmosian music makes me want to punch stuff.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-01-22, 05:28 PM

o.o What.

I very muchly disagree. Wind Waker was good but not nearly as good as Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Link to the Past, Skyward Sword, or (and this seems to be just my own rare opinion) Majora's Mask.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-22, 10:51 PM
Seriously people, get with the program. The best Zelda game is obviously Faces of Evil.

Zevox
2013-01-22, 11:03 PM
or (and this seems to be just my own rare opinion) Majora's Mask.
You know, I don't understand why people say things like that. It seems to imply that Majora's Mask is not considered a good game, and I don't think I've ever encountered a single person who actually argued that it wasn't. Quite the contrary, those that talk about it at all seem to largely be huge fans of it.

For myself, I don't think it's as good as most other 3D Zelda titles (Spirit Tracks being the one exception), I certainly still think it's a really good game. It's just too short for a Zelda game, and focused a bit too much on side-quests for my liking.

warty goblin
2013-01-22, 11:35 PM
Empire Earth 1 was great, the expansion was slightly less good, Empire Earth 2 was okay. Empire Earth 3 was... well, I forced myself through one playthrough, as I'd bought damn game, but wow. (Still unlike some other games I've bought - namely Perimetre, Star Trek New Worlds, Pool of Radiance ("3.0" version), I was actually able to complete a game...)

I rather like Empire Earth II. It's got so much going on it's sort of a glorious mess.

A Spellforce 3 wouldn't be amiss either. The first one was a better RTS than an RPG, and the second a better RPG than an RTS; hopefully a third would do both elements better.
I'd be all over a Spellforce 3, particularly if they evened out the occasional out of nowhere difficulty spike. Spellforce 2 does the whole gathering the armies to defeat evil thing so nicely; because you're actually, you know, gathering armies. Still looks gorgeous too. Spellforce 1 had some legitimately eh designs - tower camping spawns anybody? - that I was perfectly happy to see ditched.

On the upside they finally rolled out Faith in Destiny last year, so at least the franchise isn't totally dead yet.

Oh, yes, here's an obscure one: a sequel to Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, and really nicely put together space RTS story campaign (which was tragically - a bit like PS:Torment - not widely sold). I heard dark rumours there might have been one afoot a couple of times, though I don't think it's ever come to anything.
I think there was even a Kickstarter at one point.

Personally, and this is a weird choice, I would quite like another Shadowgrounds game. I'm fond of top down shooters, and Shadowgrounds: Survivor was pure excellence. Excellent weapons, a good B-grade sci-fi story with enjoyable characters, and - most importantly - the aliens blew apart real good. Had the most fun upgrade system too, with actually game-changing upgrades, not just boring tiny percentage increases.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-23, 03:38 AM
You know, I don't understand why people say things like that. It seems to imply that Majora's Mask is not considered a good game, and I don't think I've ever encountered a single person who actually argued that it wasn't. Quite the contrary, those that talk about it at all seem to largely be huge fans of it.

For myself, I don't think it's as good as most other 3D Zelda titles (Spirit Tracks being the one exception), I certainly still think it's a really good game. It's just too short for a Zelda game, and focused a bit too much on side-quests for my liking.

Eh, the problem I think is that it introduced way too many foreign concepts into the zelda series. It really wasn't that difficult but it was a tedious grind, which kinda sucked the fun out of it.

It was an interesting concept, but I really didn't *like* it all that much.

DigoDragon
2013-01-23, 08:39 AM
Master of Orion 2 is the one that always pops out at me. MoO3, that thing they call a game, was a disaster, but MoO2 could be expanded greatly IMO.

I agree, although I've always felt that Galactic Civilization 2 is what MoO3 should have been so, well I guess that's just my experience but yeah. Redo the mechanics of MoO3.

Final. Fantasy. VI.

My favorite FF game is #6! :smallbiggrin: Sad that it gets passed up for sequals and remakes for some of the lesser games. A shame. I'd love to see 6 done with cell-shaded 3D graphics like Wild Arms 3 or similar.

On Zelda: I would love to see a remake of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. It's such a black sheep of the series, but is always one of my favorite Zelda games because it was different. I'd keep it as a side-scroll platformer, but give it an expanded side quest system and more story interaction with NPCs.

Also, I'd love to see Link's Awakening redone because it was a really good spiritual successor to the roots of Zelda. My favorite points were: no Ganon, quirky cameos, good selection of items, no Ganon, an interesting storyline that questions reality, and No Ganon.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-23, 08:41 AM
I rather like Empire Earth II. It's got so much going on it's sort of a glorious mess.

I found it... honestly forgetable. I played it through once, but I've never touched it again (whereas I've played EE 1 at least twice). I know I played it, I know I recalled it wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as it's predessor... but that's all I can actually remember about it!

Though I suspect it may have had the problem the EE1 expansion did, in that it didn't let you get "XP" to spend on your civ traits like the first one did, something I REALLY liked.

I'd be all over a Spellforce 3, particularly if they evened out the occasional out of nowhere difficulty spike. Spellforce 2 does the whole gathering the armies to defeat evil thing so nicely; because you're actually, you know, gathering armies. Still looks gorgeous too. Spellforce 1 had some legitimately eh designs - tower camping spawns anybody? - that I was perfectly happy to see ditched.

I kinda liked the XP spawning, but then again, I am very happy to set up defenses for the enemy to crash upon for hours on end while I prepares my forces for the final push, so...

On the upside they finally rolled out Faith in Destiny last year, so at least the franchise isn't totally dead yet.

Yeah, I heard about that, but I haven't rushed; I didn't think Spellforce 2 was that great, and more pertinently I have LOADS of RPGs I haven't played, and I not playing them at the moment (well into city-builders, currently, I'm playing through pretty much all the Sierra/Tilted Mill games...)

I think there was even a Kickstarter at one point.

Sadly, I think it was about the same time and Project Eternity, and wasn't very well advertised, since the first I knew about it was after googling Nexus yesterday.

Zevox
2013-01-23, 10:40 AM
Eh, the problem I think is that it introduced way too many foreign concepts into the zelda series. It really wasn't that difficult but it was a tedious grind, which kinda sucked the fun out of it.

It was an interesting concept, but I really didn't *like* it all that much.
:smallconfused: I can't say I understand that sentiment in the slightest. How on earth was Majora's Mask a "tedious grind?"

Seerow
2013-01-23, 10:55 AM
:smallconfused: I can't say I understand that sentiment in the slightest. How on earth was Majora's Mask a "tedious grind?"

If you tried to get 100% completion on the sidequests, it was pretty tedious. Doubly so if you tried doing so without any sort of walkthrough/strategy guide telling you where to be when.

It was also pretty annoying to be halfway through a dungeon, run out of time, have to reset time, and start all over again. Sure the next time you can get through the part you've already cleared faster due to already knowing the tricks, but still annoying having to resolve half a dungeon.

Zevox
2013-01-23, 11:01 AM
If you tried to get 100% completion on the sidequests, it was pretty tedious. Doubly so if you tried doing so without any sort of walkthrough/strategy guide telling you where to be when.
Okay, yeah, I could see that, but that problem would stem from you being a completionist. The side-quests were completely optional, and heck, most of them didn't even have particularly good rewards.

It was also pretty annoying to be halfway through a dungeon, run out of time, have to reset time, and start all over again. Sure the next time you can get through the part you've already cleared faster due to already knowing the tricks, but still annoying having to resolve half a dungeon.
That one I don't see so much. With the Reverse Song of Time getting stuck without enough time to complete a dungeon shouldn't ever have been a problem, unless you tried to do so without only half a day left or something, in which case you really should've just traveled back in time and started the dungeon on a fresh cycle anyway.

Seerow
2013-01-23, 11:08 AM
That one I don't see so much. With the Reverse Song of Time getting stuck without enough time to complete a dungeon shouldn't ever have been a problem, unless you tried to do so without only half a day left or something, in which case you really should've just traveled back in time and started the dungeon on a fresh cycle anyway.

I remember needing to reset with the Goron temple (or at least the one right after getting Goron mask, it's been a while since I've played) several times. I can't remember if I knew the reverse song of time at that point or not.

The Succubus
2013-01-23, 11:10 AM
Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Please. You've kept us coming back with one of the most complex storylines I've ever seen in any video game ever and then you (WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS):

Kill off Raziel, have Kain dice up the Elder God and have Janos Audrin posseseed by a demon

...and then you decide to stop the story there?! How evil are you people? Make it the swansong if you have to but I still want my ending damn it. (Oh, and if you can include some gameplay in there as well, unlike Soul Reaver 2, it'd be mighty fine).

The LOBster
2013-01-23, 11:15 AM

I actually thought Majora's Mask was in some ways better than Ocarina of Time. It actually still has the best plot of any 3D Zelda... Or, well, any Zelda at all.

Seriously people, get with the program. The best Zelda game is obviously Faces of Evil.
JOIN ME, LINK, AND I WILL MAKE YOUR FACE THE GRRRRREATEST IN KORIDAI! OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE! *smushes face against non-existent camera*

warty goblin
2013-01-23, 11:33 AM
I found it... honestly forgetable. I played it through once, but I've never touched it again (whereas I've played EE 1 at least twice). I know I played it, I know I recalled it wasn't bad, but wasn't as good as it's predessor... but that's all I can actually remember about it!

Though I suspect it may have had the problem the EE1 expansion did, in that it didn't let you get "XP" to spend on your civ traits like the first one did, something I REALLY liked.

Well to be fair it really isn't all that special. I just like the crazy number of systems that mash together. It's far from my favorite RTS ever or anything though.

(That's a three-way tie between Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Battle for Middle Earth II and Supreme Commander II).

I kinda liked the XP spawning, but then again, I am very happy to set up defenses for the enemy to crash upon for hours on end while I prepares my forces for the final push, so...
Oh I'm very much a turtle player by nature, but the XP farming with towers was cheap and stupid.

Yeah, I heard about that, but I haven't rushed; I didn't think Spellforce 2 was that great, and more pertinently I have LOADS of RPGs I haven't played, and I not playing them at the moment (well into city-builders, currently, I'm playing through pretty much all the Sierra/Tilted Mill games...)
I really quite like Spellforce II. Not an absolute classic for the ages, but absolutely a solid good time. Plus the interface rocks.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-01-23, 11:36 AM
After having played through a chunk of The Old Republic, I definitely have to say Knights of the Old Republic 2.

It's not that TOR is bad from a story standpoint (it's just kind of bizarrely designed from a business standpoint), it's just that Bioware went out of their way to ignore KOTOR 2 as hard as humanly possible, because they wanted a game in the Prequel-like setting of KOTOR 1, which 2 changed into a more OT-like dark age for the Jedi. It just seems a mix of spiteful and schizophrenic if you take TOR as a sequel to 2.

Or just entirely spiteful if you read the Revan tie-in novel. Rassafrickin' bridging my character...

The Glyphstone
2013-01-23, 12:04 PM
Well to be fair it really isn't all that special. I just like the crazy number of systems that mash together. It's far from my favorite RTS ever or anything though.

(That's a three-way tie between Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Battle for Middle Earth II and Supreme Commander II).

You liked SupCom2? I was going to actually post Supreme Commander to this thread....not that SC2 was awful, but it was decidedly inferior to its predecessor.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-23, 12:18 PM
Champions Online.

The more I think about it, the more I realize the original cannot be salvaged.

The more I think about it the sadder that makes me because there really are a LOT of good ideas tied up in that game; but due to the way it was put together* and some questionable design decisions, those good ideas basically got trapped in the mire.

So I propose Champions Online II, which takes all the lessons of the first game and applies them to create something that lives up to the potential of the original. (Note this means you have to keep working on the game when after it launches Cryptic...)

(I'm not bitter... *grumble*)

*Champions Online, for those that don't know, was an "OH CRAP WE NEED MONEY" project taken up after Cryptic was (practically forced) to sell City of Heroes to NCSoft, and then their deal for Marvel Online fell through mid-development - basically CO was an emergency budget filler.

warty goblin
2013-01-23, 01:18 PM
You liked SupCom2? I was going to actually post Supreme Commander to this thread....not that SC2 was awful, but it was decidedly inferior to its predecessor.

I actually like SupCom 2 a good deal better than its predecessor. I find the tech tree a far better solution to unit advancement than the seriously opaque tier system. The economy also is a lot easier to get along with. While the scale is reduced and that's unfortunate, it's still a bloody big RTS.

Mostly this is because I tend to like my RTSs big, bombastic and rather dumb. Dawn of War is smaller, but makes up for it with extra bombast.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-23, 02:01 PM

I though it was kinda bad actually. Aside from being unannouced it was Steam, and thus the fact it wouldn't let me install it (from my HARD COPY that I got from Amazon - a totally pointless excercise since they'd fracked the release version such that you had to basically download and install the revised version from Steam) before the release date, to the fact the plot - such as it was - and characters seemed to be rather banal (given that SquEnix were supposed to have been doing the writing, I expected better), to the loss of the stuff that made SupCom brilliant (the vast long missions, the construction economy which was good because it WASN'T the same as everyone else's) and the fact that there was a bug that kept me from completing one of the missions all added up to me just giving it up in disgust at that point.

Maybe the plot elements got drastically better later on, but I was very underwhelmed by SupCom2.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-23, 02:44 PM
WH40k: Dawn of War

DoW II was... not a worthy successor. It took a RTS and turned it into a FPS. I like RTS. I really liked the squad-based game mechanics rather than individual units (unless those individual units were really *that* badass, like your hero units or vehicles), I liked the resource allocation between missions... it was great. I'm not so enamored of first-person shooters.

DoW II was... a betrayal. Be-tray-al. Betrayed me.

Temotei
2013-01-23, 02:53 PM
After having played through a chunk of The Old Republic, I definitely have to say Knights of the Old Republic 2.

It's not that TOR is bad from a story standpoint (it's just kind of bizarrely designed from a business standpoint), it's just that Bioware went out of their way to ignore KOTOR 2 as hard as humanly possible, because they wanted a game in the Prequel-like setting of KOTOR 1, which 2 changed into a more OT-like dark age for the Jedi. It just seems a mix of spiteful and schizophrenic if you take TOR as a sequel to 2.

Or just entirely spiteful if you read the Revan tie-in novel. Rassafrickin' bridging my character...

I'm pretty sure they weren't even finished with the game, hence the ending. They were rushed into finishing and had to end it RIGHT THERE so they did, which is really sad because there was a lot of potential there.

For me, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It was fun and all, but I felt like after a certain point, I was just finishing the game to finish it. There was no point. The final boss went down in three hits. Seriously. :smallsigh:

Also, being able to instantly change your entire character was meh.

warty goblin
2013-01-23, 02:55 PM
I though it was kinda bad actually. Aside from being unannouced it was Steam, and thus the fact it wouldn't let me install it (from my HARD COPY that I got from Amazon - a totally pointless excercise since they'd fracked the release version such that you had to basically download and install the revised version from Steam) before the release date, to the fact the plot - such as it was - and characters seemed to be rather banal (given that SquEnix were supposed to have been doing the writing, I expected better), to the loss of the stuff that made SupCom brilliant (the vast long missions, the construction economy which was good because it WASN'T the same as everyone else's) and the fact that there was a bug that kept me from completing one of the missions all added up to me just giving it up in disgust at that point.

Maybe the plot elements got drastically better later on, but I was very underwhelmed by SupCom2.
I keep forgetting there's people who actually play RTS campaigns. I tend to view them as an extraneous button right above 'Skirmish.' SupCom 2 in skirmish is a fast train to robot carnage.

DoW II was... not a worthy successor. It took a RTS and turned it into a FPS. I like RTS. I really liked the squad-based game mechanics rather than individual units (unless those individual units were really *that* badass, like your hero units or vehicles), I liked the resource allocation between missions... it was great. I'm not so enamored of first-person shooters.

DoW II may be many things, but an FPS is most certainly not one of them.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-23, 03:01 PM

I'm not a big fan of DoWII (I loved the first game much, much more); but... I'm not sure where you're getting the idea it's an FPS from <o.O>

The Glyphstone
2013-01-23, 03:47 PM
I'm not a big fan of DoWII (I loved the first game much, much more); but... I'm not sure where you're getting the idea it's an FPS from <o.O>

Ditto..

First Person Shooter. DoW II, while being a decidedly unworthy successor to DoW, was at best 1/3 of these three things.

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-23, 05:29 PM
Ditto..

First Person Shooter. DoW II, while being a decidedly unworthy successor to DoW, was at best 1/3 of these three things.

This is true.

You could, on the other hand, probably call DoW II an action-RPG and not be very far off at all. The game shares almost as many elements with Diablo 2 as it does with the first Dawn of War.

Closet_Skeleton
2013-01-23, 06:50 PM
I gave up on DoW 2 due to the boss fights. So tedious and anti-immersive.

To be honest I don't want sequels to games I liked. There are loads of games I used to like that became terrible series but I'd rather they were non-series.

People who want a sequel to KotOR with the same characters seem to be missing the point to me. There are empty millennia on the Star Wars timeline for awesome stories.

Tiberium C&C is a setting that just got more and more screwed and pointless every game.

Warcraft III had a pretty cool ending. Everything that came after just retread stuff.

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-23, 07:45 PM
I keep forgetting there's people who actually play RTS campaigns. I tend to view them as an extraneous button right above 'Skirmish.' SupCom 2 in skirmish is a fast train to robot carnage.

I'm the opposite. I rarely, if ever, touch the skirmish mode in any RTS (C&C Generals is one of the very few exceptions), and even then usually only after completing the campaigns.

(4X or Civ-type of games I tend to find the opposite, in that I rarely bother with the scenarios; mind you, I don't think I've seen many that have much of a plot to be worth bothering with.)

Tanuki Tales
2013-01-23, 08:33 PM
Conker's Bad Fur Day.

I thought that Reloaded was amusing, but I was very displeased with what they did with multiplayer.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-23, 08:39 PM
I gave up on DoW 2 due to the boss fights. So tedious and anti-immersive.

Yeah, I hated the boss fights. They did NOT make any sense whatsoever. They could have worked in a different game with a different license... but not in DoW.

What really soured me though was the Skirmish experience. DoW I had many, many hours of fun skirmishing back and forth with the AI. The battles could go on for ages because neither one of us could break through quickly. That was fun for me. (I admit partly this is because I'm not a very good RTS player).

DoWII, the skirmish experience felt like I was stuck running all over the place playing whack-a-mole with control points; and with little in the way of being able to fortify an area so I could have the security to send my army off to actually DO something.

It wasn't a horrible game, but there was a lot of stuff I'd like to see changed back toward DoW I style if they do a DoW III (they almost surely will)

MLai
2013-01-23, 09:39 PM
Sup Com II:
I've never played SC1, but I know what it's about. While I liked SC2 very much (the Skirmish, the Campaign was meh), one thing I wish it shared with SC1 is the large maps allowing for extended gameplay. A game of SC2 Skirmish finishes before it has even begun (in SC terms), only rarely do the battles reach end-tier stage, and those rare moments were truly glorious.

DoW II:
The skirmish AI in this game was basically braindead. That's why if you play skirmish with AI, the experience you got from DoW1 felt entirely different from DoW2. With skirmish vs a person, the DoW2 experience is much much better.

Cespenar
2013-01-24, 02:16 AM
Seems like I'm alone in loving DoWII. Its main campaign, at least. As a RTS player for years, I'm simply tired of base building RTSs any more.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-24, 03:38 AM
Ditto..

To me, it felt more like CoD than DoW...

GolemsVoice
2013-01-24, 06:05 AM
Seems like I'm alone in loving DoWII. Its main campaign, at least. As a RTS player for years, I'm simply tired of base building RTSs any more.

You're not alone. While DoW certailny is a great game, I lvoed DoW II, II :smallwink:

And HOW exactly did it feel like CoD? I mean, what?

Sith_Happens
2013-01-24, 07:13 AM

Because some segments of the Internet use comparisons to CoD as a generic way to insult a game, regardless of genre or whether there are in fact any similarities between the two whatsoever.

Kish
2013-01-24, 07:59 AM
People who want a sequel to KotOR with the same characters seem to be missing the point to me. There are empty millennia on the Star Wars timeline for awesome stories.
I have a real hard time seeing how anyone would even think your second sentence is part of the point, much less all of the point.

I take it you think the only thing anyone likes about either KotOR game is "it's a Star Wars CRPG."

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-24, 12:10 PM
You're not alone. While DoW certailny is a great game, I lvoed DoW II, II :smallwink:

In a Strategy game, one expects a certain amount of... well... strategic considerations. Logistics and supply, resource management, that kind of thing.

Which is completely absent in this game.

I completely fail to see how DoW II could be considered an RTS game when there is no strategy involved whatsoever. Tactics, sure, but not strategy.

warty goblin
2013-01-24, 01:33 PM
In a Strategy game, one expects a certain amount of... well... strategic considerations. Logistics and supply, resource management, that kind of thing.

Which is completely absent in this game.

I completely fail to see how DoW II could be considered an RTS game when there is no strategy involved whatsoever. Tactics, sure, but not strategy.
By that definition precious few RTSs should be considered RTSs. You've basically got Wargame: European Escalation and... um...

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-24, 01:41 PM
By that definition precious few RTSs should be considered RTSs. You've basically got Wargame: European Escalation and... um...

Let's take for example Starcraft 2

Logistics and Supply are involved in population cap and resource management, basically the 'Macro' game, as it is known in those circles. Making sure that your use of resources you gain are in a timely manner so you aren't just sitting on piles of unused potential, making sure you have enough resources coming in to support your war.. that kind of thing.

Tactics are the 'Micro' part of the game, which is the only thing DoW II has. Moving units around and engaging opponents with them.

In SC2, you can have fairly abysmal Micro, but still win due to superior Macro skills. Case in point: IrdA.

DoW has tactics, but no strategy.

warty goblin
2013-01-24, 01:53 PM
Let's take for example Starcraft 2

Logistics and Supply are involved in population cap and resource management, basically the 'Macro' game, as it is known in those circles. Making sure that your use of resources you gain are in a timely manner so you aren't just sitting on piles of unused potential, making sure you have enough resources coming in to support your war.. that kind of thing.

Tactics are the 'Micro' part of the game, which is the only thing DoW II has. Moving units around and engaging opponents with them.

In SC2, you can have fairly abysmal Micro, but still win due to superior Macro skills. Case in point: IrdA.

DoW has tactics, but no strategy.
Population cap is a terrible representation of logistics, which can be broadly defined as how to get stuff to the fight, and provide it with necessary materiel once it's there. Dow II's representation of this by limited item slots is basically equivalent to a population cap, which is to say bad. Wargame: European Escalation is the only semi-mainstream RTS game I know of to model this to a meaningful degree, with per-unit fuel and ammo tallies, and resupply dependent on getting the units to the supplies or vice versa. It's broad meta-game of finite unit counts across all missions also contributes to it's logistic modeling.

Strategy can be operationally defined as some combination of choosing your objectives, and choosing what to bring to the fight. Since game objectives tend to be fixed, this mostly reduces to the second component. Obviously strategy is heavily informed by logistics. DoW II's long-term character development and item selection are definite strategic components.

Tactics is essentially how you use what you've got while in the fight. DoW II definitely does force a lot of those decisions.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-01-24, 02:01 PM
Population cap is a terrible representation of logistics, which can be broadly defined as how to get stuff to the fight, and provide it with necessary materiel once it's there. Dow II's representation of this by limited item slots is basically equivalent to a population cap, which is to say bad. Wargame: European Escalation is the only semi-mainstream RTS game I know of to model this to a meaningful degree, with per-unit fuel and ammo tallies, and resupply dependent on getting the units to the supplies or vice versa. It's broad meta-game of finite unit counts across all missions also contributes to it's logistic modeling.It's still better than what DoW II has.

Strategy can be operationally defined as some combination of choosing your objectives, and choosing what to bring to the fight. Since game objectives tend to be fixed, this mostly reduces to the second component. Obviously strategy is heavily informed by logistics. DoW II's long-term character development and item selection are definite strategic components.Pssh. It's about as strategic as an RPG. With that threadbare fig-leaf, maybe the Final Fantasy games would qualify, if long-term character development and item selection are all that counts.

Tactics is essentially how you use what you've got while in the fight. DoW II definitely does force a lot of those decisions.

I never disputed this. I merely state that there's no strategic element in a real-time environment to call it a RTS.

Triaxx
2013-01-24, 02:35 PM
Before the release of Supreme Commander 1, Chris Taylor (not the fallout guy), said: "Strategy is what happens before the battle, Tactics is what happens during the battle."

May not be an exact quote, but it was in the August 2005 issue of PC Gamer.

In any case, I agree. It's a bit of a black and white definition, but frankly it's as good of one as I can think of.

I define logistics as supplies, whether those are supplies of 'units' or 'ammo' or 'fuel'. Supplying those is what constitutes the Strategy phase of the game. Once those things are at the battle field, it's Tactical.

Tactics is what the units/troops/vehicles do during fighting. Whether that consists of a single scout ship kiting an entire enemy battleship across the map into a submarine trap, or Napoleonic era line-up>knock-down fighting.

---

I prefer the first Supreme Commander to the second, because of the scale of the battles. I mean, playing a fast battle is one thing, but I like my battles to drag on as long as I can manage. Huge hordes of units slamming together on the field. Masses of air transports dropping ground forces and pushing forwards toward the enemy.

Pity SupCom2 was so awful.

warty goblin
2013-01-24, 02:39 PM
It's still better than what DoW II has.

The difference seems essentially non-existent to me.

Pssh. It's about as strategic as an RPG. With that threadbare fig-leaf, maybe the Final Fantasy games would qualify, if long-term character development and item selection are all that counts.
There's a good bit more flexibility in DoW II than most RPGs.

I never disputed this. I merely state that there's no strategic element in a real-time environment to call it a RTS.
There isn't in the Total War games either. Strangely they still aren't FPSs.

Look, there's no question that DoW II isn't a traditional RTS, and very different than its predecessor. That hardly means it's devoid of strategy, and since most RTS strategy really consists of tactics anyway I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Personally I prefer DoW: Dark Crusade. But I'm really quite glad that Relic actually tried something new with the sequel. I'd rather have that than a retread of a game I already own. 'Cides which, their real RTS masterpiece is still Company of Heroes.

Remmirath
2013-01-24, 05:58 PM
I'd still like to someday see Commander Keen 7: The Universe is Toast. Yeah, there was Keen Dreams, but that's really not the same thing.

I also wish that the Duke Nukem series had made the transition into 3d and then newer games with a deal more grace and a deal more of the original spirit of the games intact. So, sequels for Duke Nukem II.

Knights of the Old Republic II. Would've liked to see Knights of the Old Republic III. I did, in fact, like both of the previous two games; I wouldn't care all that which it took more after.

Dragon Age: Origins, for 'getting a sequel done right'. I actually mostly liked the system and all in Origins, and the welcome return of species options, not having a voiced PC, et cetera. Regardless of how good a game DA II is or isn't, it did not feel like a proper sequel to Origins, since it was lacking so many of the things that I liked about Origins. Therefore, I still say that I would like to see one that is done in the same vein.

Mass Effect, because for all it's flaws, I did enjoy it -- but many of the things I enjoyed went away in Mass Effect 2, and many of the flaws became more exaggerated. So, I would've liked to see the two future games with the same combat system as the first and greater (or at least not worse than the first!) ability to roleplay a character.

Gnoman
2013-01-24, 09:37 PM
In any case, I agree. It's a bit of a black and white definition, but frankly it's as good of one as I can think of.

A better, or at least more compehensive, definition is that tactics are the resolution of individual combats, while strategy is the direction and purpose to which those combats are conducted. Logistics, while heavily influential on strategy and tactics, should be reckoned as a third component, not subordinate to the other two.

Can't quite remember who I'm paraphrasing here. Think it may be Clausewitz, but I'm not certain.

Geno9999
2013-01-24, 09:51 PM
I'd still like to someday see Commander Keen 7: The Universe is Toast. Yeah, there was Keen Dreams, but that's really not the same thing.

With how long it has been, I think it is more likely that when Captain Commander Keen returns, it's gonna be a reboot.
Please not a extremely gritty reboot though. That kinda ruins the whole aesthetic of Keen.

Tebryn
2013-01-24, 10:04 PM
Dragon Age: Origins, for 'getting a sequel done right'. I actually mostly liked the system and all in Origins, and the welcome return of species options, not having a voiced PC, et cetera. Regardless of how good a game DA II is or isn't, it did not feel like a proper sequel to Origins, since it was lacking so many of the things that I liked about Origins. Therefore, I still say that I would like to see one that is done in the same vein.

I never really saw Dragon Age 2 as a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins because...it really wasn't intended to be save for the number 2 on the box. Dragon Age isn't a trilogy with a single story line, David Gaider has said that a few times as have other devs. They should have called Dragon Age 2 something else...like Kirkwall Bugaloo or something. That would have been more appropriate.

Zevox
2013-01-24, 10:32 PM
I never really saw Dragon Age 2 as a sequel to Dragon Age: Origins because...it really wasn't intended to be save for the number 2 on the box. Dragon Age isn't a trilogy with a single story line, David Gaider has said that a few times as have other devs. They should have called Dragon Age 2 something else...like Kirkwall Bugaloo or something. That would have been more appropriate.
You do realize that sequels do not need to continue the story of their predecessor directly, right? Many do not. Heck, in some cases they don't even use the same setting (see the Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem series, for instance).

Tebryn
2013-01-24, 11:36 PM
You do realize that sequels do not need to continue the story of their predecessor directly, right? Many do not. Heck, in some cases they don't even use the same setting (see the Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem series, for instance).

I do, I still wouldn't call Dragon Age 2 a direct narrative sequel to Dragon Age: Origins. The story of the Warden is done, just as Hawke's is at the end of the Legacy DLC. They're sequels in so far as it's got a 2 tacked on but...as I said above. I don't think it should have had a number at the end of it.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-01-25, 01:06 AM
I'm pretty sure they weren't even finished with the game, hence the ending. They were rushed into finishing and had to end it RIGHT THERE so they did, which is really sad because there was a lot of potential there.

For me, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. It was fun and all, but I felt like after a certain point, I was just finishing the game to finish it. There was no point. The final boss went down in three hits. Seriously. :smallsigh:

Also, being able to instantly change your entire character was meh.

The ending is...acceptable, with the Restored Content Mod. Not that terrific in execution, but in the end I think Malachor being trippy and weird made a lot of thematic sense, since it was in many respects a grander version of the Dagobah Cave sequence from Empire - even if the cave on Korriban already sort of did that, it was still a personal spiritual journey for the Exile.

stabbybelkar
2013-01-25, 01:55 AM

It's always good to know that I'm not the only one who absolutely hated DoWII. Seriously, it's like the developers went and said "Hey guys! You know how one of the major appeals of the tabletop game is that it let's you fight with gigantic armies in battles that can span across multiple tables? Well lets say f**k all that and instead completely scale everything down and make battles microscopic in comparison to it's predecessor! Better yet, lets add in the universally hated Games for Windows Live!"

Christ... even Soulstorm was better than the pile of Hive Tyrant crap that is DoWII. It is literally the only game I have ever purchased that I have not finished because of how horrible it was. On the plus side Relic was bought by Sega after THQ went under, which has caused me to have fantasies of a Total War style 40k game. :biggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2013-01-25, 06:41 AM
Well, let's be fair - and moribund and rushed as KotR II's ending was, it was still well out of spitting distance of how bad ME3's ending was...

And up until that point, both games were great.

But I wouldn't say no to a KotR 3 (or any decent SW RPG: something non-Jedi centric set during the movies-to-Thrawn period would be favourite; doubly-so if you can play the Empire...) Of course, as there's a very real possibility that everything related to the EU is going to get thrown under a bus when the new movies come out, that seems ever more remote a possibility.

Dark Crusade was great. Soulstorm was risible. Still never finished it. DoW II I didn't even bother with.

Hey, here's one I'm not sure we've mentioned: Civ VI, wherein they take the best elements of Civ IV, and add in the scattered elements of Civ V that were actually better (as opposed to just "different"), and therein create the most ridiculously good Civ game of all time.

Anecronwashere
2013-01-25, 07:10 AM
I wouldn't call KotOR II great per say
It was certainly Good, but not great.

The restoration mod is great and the potential the game had if it got proper development time would have made it super-special Awesome but it's released form not so much.

Even discounting the lackluster ending. The plot holes needed filling almost from the first.
Like how did the Ebon Hawk come into the Exile's possession along with T3-M4.

And why is Revan's motives explored more than the Exiles? The story focused on why Revan went to war and turned Sith, but the players interaction with the story focused on resolving the Exile's dealing with Malachor and the horrors of war.
Both of those were valid pathways, but taking both of them at once without fully fleshing them out into a dual-plot with crossings and links (Revan's Fall linking with the Malachor disaster could have been played up for example)

I would love to see a KOTOR 2 remake with proper dev time, and almost certainly a KOTOR 3

Gorfnod
2013-01-25, 08:20 AM
I actually thought Majora's Mask was in some ways better than Ocarina of Time. It actually still has the best plot of any 3D Zelda... Or, well, any Zelda at all.

This. OoT may have been the 3-D innovator but Majora's Mask just felt like a better game to me. I really liked the 3-day cycle and absolutely loved the shapechanging aspects.

Well throwing my own fighter in the ring so to speak, I would have to say that Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem by Silicon Knights needs a sequel. A bit of a sleeper when it was released, I think it is pretty well known now and an absolute blast to play. If you haven't played this before I highly suggest it, good luck finding a gamecube though...

You could always come over and play mine I guess.

Karoht
2013-01-25, 11:04 AM
Valkyrie Profile
Original was excellent for it's day.
non-canon prequel was put on the GBA.
VP 2 was outright terrible. Mostly because it was in development hell for years thanks to the Squenix merger. I would give specifics but that turns into a thread all it's own.

Duke Nukem. Yes, forever was terrible, that fanbase deserves an apology AND a decent game.

Portal 3.
Half-Life 2: Episode 3.
Just do it already Valve. Stop messing with us.

That's just the stuff off the top of my head.

T.G. Oskar
2013-01-25, 02:18 PM
Also i would love to see a new breath of fire or illusions of Gaia.

The Gaia series (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma) was finished properly, so I don't see a need for a proper sequel. A successor would be nice, though.

On the other hand: CAPCOM, WHY U NO LOVE BOF!?!?

You want to start a riot?

Final. Fantasy. VI. Shame they didn't put out anything worthy of the franchise until the PS2 came out.

Excuse me, good sir, but I feel I must dissent.

The thread mentions "get a sequel done right". Giving FFVI a sequel would tarnish it.

Instead, the game deserves a prequel. We want to see what happened on the War of the Magi, and probably THEN you can have an idea for a sequel. And we want a proper image of what happened that moment: the creation of Espers, how the Warring Triad got sealed, and the nature of Magic in the game, as that's the only Final Fantasy where Magic is a limited resource that can actually be extinguished.

Of course, you can have a sequel where they pull off a Spellplague on the World of Recovery (as in, the World of Ruin slowly returning to be the World of Balance), right? Then again, I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever if Terra ends up being something akin to Mystra, a goddess of Magic. Can't a Lawful Good Paladin-fan dream?

I also wish they would do a new Final Fantasy game correctly. I remember playing FF 1 thru 8 for weeks to months before beating them. FF13 took me about a week. That bothered me because I was SO excited to get back into the FF series and have me some strong game time ahead of me...to put it lightly....I was disappointed.

Ah, yes, I believe there's a proper solution to the matter. It's even portable! You...do need something along the lines of 20-60 bucks, and a iOS/Android device to play it. FF Dimensions has all the charm of a good ol' Final Fantasy story but with nice graphics, surprising twists and that high fantasy feel. Technically, it's a gaiden and not a sequel, but given that Final Fantasy didn't make proper sequels until FF X-2 (aka Pretty Soldier Shinra's Angels), you could claim it's a sequel.

Final Fantasy Tactics.

Hah! How about Vagrant Story? Unless you mean in terms of a tactical game, in which case...yeah, I agree. I wouldn't mind having the hero be a 40-something or 50-something, and heck, I wouldn't mind the FFXII races so as long as we get a Bangaa as part of the supporting cast. Ba'Gamnan does not make a supporting character.

Ogre should be treated as having two internal lines; Tactics and Battle. So, TKoL should be considered as next in line after LUCT. And, it's more of a gaiden instead of true sequel, anyway, as TKoL isn't a numbered episode, as opposed to MotBQ being 5, LUCT being... 7?, and POLC being 6, IIRC.

Ogre is a series that could use more entries, but noooooo, Square had to go and hire away the original Ogre people to work on FFT.

I'd love a proper Tactics Ogre sequel. Also The Last Remnant was a game I greatly enjoyed and would like to see another in its style.

Well, good luck trying to get Matsuno back. He's aiming for tabletop tactical games, far as I can see.

Eh. That's relative.

It'd be more difficult if you played it on a proper PSX, but not on an emulator. Now, you may say "oh, but save state is cheating!" I beg to differ; it is a viable strategy, and that's something the modders took into account. Otherwise, no one would ever finish a Super Robot Wars game, which takes into account this strategy (and sometimes, even subverts it!)

Valkyrie Profile
Original was excellent for it's day.
non-canon prequel was put on the GBA.
VP 2 was outright terrible. Mostly because it was in development hell for years thanks to the Squenix merger. I would give specifics but that turns into a thread all it's own.

Well, Operation: Rainfall succeeded on bringing all three games they wanted to, and there's a similar operation for Super Robot Wars games, so...time to make Operation: Complete Profile? Hrist needs to have her story told.

--

Now, you know two series that I feel deserve proper sequels? SaGa and Mana.

First, SaGa. Romancing SaGa III, IMO, was an excellent game, far ahead of its time. SaGa Frontier was the game that brought me closer to the series, even though I was this close to be introduced earlier (the game that prevented me from doing so? Pokémon), and SaGa Frontier II was entertaining but plagued by the lack of a PocketStation card on American soil. Then came Unlimited Saga, and people lost faith in the series. I completed one-seventh of the game, and I plan eventually to finish with all other travelers. Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song, on the other hand, was fantastic, and should have given hope for the fans that SaGa wasn't forgotten.

Then, we hear stories about a SaGa-related game, and what do we get!? A FRICKIN' CARD GAME, THAT'S IT!!!!! Meanwhile, the last Crystal Chronicles bombed badly, and that's another series that might get a wrap. Kawazu is free right now, and there may be no other chance for SaGa.

Meanwhile, Mana. I'm sure by now everyone remembers Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana; surely few remember Seiken Densetsu 3 (arguably the game with the most balanced class system I've ever seen, where deliberately trying to choose the worst choices still allows you to beat the game), and some people are trying to forget about Legend of Mana. For the record: I don't include myself on that list, I even got Legend of Mana bought pre-used and I managed to finish the game, and I find the blacksmithing and golem-making bits quite engaging, not to mention how to rig the game for the best weapons and armor around. But the games after LoM? Erm...where was QC when they were developed?

So yeah, Squeenix. SaGa and Mana. Do it. By the way, why not do the following things as well?

Let Monolith Soft have the rights for Xenogears. Plead with them to create a proper, HD remake of Xenogears, and let them finish Xenosaga the way it should have been. You've outgrown those silly things; remember your quarrel with Nintendo?
What happened with the moment where you had interesting niche games? Where's the sequel to Einhander, for example?
I still have no idea which game people hate more: Metroid - Other M, or The Third Birthday. IMO, Parasite Eve should have a proper sequel. I mean, it was a clever game that challenged the rising trend of survival horror games with a survival horror RPG, and then we get a RE clone from you guys, which was suspiciously similar to PE but I don't actually recall its name anymore? I demand PE II, darnit!
Speaking on the Enix side: what happened to Grandia? Yes, I know Working Designs isn't here anymore. Get off your lazy-boy seats and make me a new one!

There's a whole set of other games I'd also love to see, but I have to leave some ammunition. Maybe for another time.

The_Jackal
2013-01-25, 08:01 PM
I'd LOVE to see a Jedi Knight sequel/prequel with the kind of free-wheeling brawler combat like you have in Arkham City. You could even have non-jedi types with Bounty Hunters or Troopers or what have you, each with their own bag of tricks.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-01-27, 11:53 AM
Well, let's be fair - and moribund and rushed as KotR II's ending was, it was still well out of spitting distance of how bad ME3's ending was...

And up until that point, both games were great.

But I wouldn't say no to a KotR 3 (or any decent SW RPG: something non-Jedi centric set during the movies-to-Thrawn period would be favourite; doubly-so if you can play the Empire...) Of course, as there's a very real possibility that everything related to the EU is going to get thrown under a bus when the new movies come out, that seems ever more remote a possibility.

At least ME3's as-released ending was obtuse and confusing on purpose? Or does that make it worse...?

Partysan
2013-01-31, 03:19 AM
Honestly, while I can absolutely understand that DoW II didn't neccessarily appeal to the fans of DoW I, since it moved strongly into the area of squad tactics, I for once appreciated that both in feeling and in mechanics it seems to be far closer to the tabletop source.

Eldan
2013-01-31, 04:25 AM
It also makes more sense fluffwise. I think someone once calculated that in a long DoW I game on a large map, you can lose more space marines than can exist in one order.

mistformsquirrl
2013-01-31, 05:00 AM
I think that's one of the flaws with DoWI really - Marine squads were too big there; but I felt they were too small in DoWII. Imo they should have been balanced around 5-man combat squads. That would fit the fluff both in terms of deployment size, and in terms of the power of an individual Marine*

But like I said, my big issue was with the skirmish mode - I always felt like I was just running all over the map trying to play whack-a-mole with control points; which wasn't nearly as much fun as trying to crack open a tough enemy base in DoWI; at least imo.

*Well insofar as you can model a Marine to the fluff and not break the game.

Eldan
2013-01-31, 05:40 AM
Mhm. True. I didn't like the skirmish mode at all, while I could play DoWI for ages.

deuterio12
2013-01-31, 07:42 AM
It also makes more sense fluffwise. I think someone once calculated that in a long DoW I game on a large map, you can lose more space marines than can exist in one order.

Because no chapter out there ever goes over the suposed 1000 dudes limit? SW, BT, Astral Claws and many others suddenly never existed?

For you to get over 1000 power-armor casualities playing as SM on DoW it would've needed to be some massive epic battle, and you would've inflicted far more casualities on the other side.

Plus you can keep your squads at 5 man if you feel like it in DoW, it's even more efficient because it means more tactical flexibility and more special weapons. You can increase the number of bodies if you want, and indeed "gasp" 10 man squads are quite common in the fluff, being the standard squad size and stuff.

Meanwhile DoW II had 3 SM needed to carry a single heavy bolter. Wusses. Two guardsmen could carry an heavy bolter in DoW I.

GolemsVoice
2013-01-31, 09:10 AM
Because no chapter out there ever goes over the suposed 1000 dudes limit? SW, BT, Astral Claws and many others suddenly never existed?

Even 100 SM at a time are a crippling loss. Not to mention the countless rhinos, dreadnoughts, maybe one or two land raiders etc...

deuterio12
2013-01-31, 12:28 PM
Even 100 SM at a time are a crippling loss. Not to mention the countless rhinos, dreadnoughts, maybe one or two land raiders etc...

Crippling? The Blood Ravens lost two companies in the Soulstorm story and are kicking around just fine for DoW II. In Imperial Armor SM drop dead by the dozens if not hundreds every book they show up as well.

Rhinos are two dimes a dozen, being based on a mass-produceable STC originally planned for colonists and all. Dreads and land raiders are quite rarer I admit, but the fluff points out those are usually retrieved and repaired after battle. Just like in real life, you don't need to grind down a war machine into dust to make it stop, just destroy some critical systems (engine, control systems), which can be replaced relatively easily once the fighting calms down.

But anyway that's the point. In a 40K RTS I don't want to command just a couple squads that somehow got under the command of the team medic.

In a proper 40K RTS I want to command a full company! Multiple of them if the enemy is worthy enough! Give me the chance to call the whole chapter to the frontlines if the going gets tough!

Tavar
2013-01-31, 01:46 PM
In point of fact, the Blood Raven's aren't doing fine in DoW2. This can be seen in the way that a critical area, their recruiting worlds, lack a strong BR presence.

deuterio12
2013-01-31, 02:03 PM
Considering that what was left was more than enough to stop an ork WWAAAGHHH!!!, thousands of eldars and cripple down a whole tyranid fleet in the meantime, I can safely say that the BR presence in their recruiting worlds was in no way lacking.

Dr.Epic
2013-01-31, 02:07 PM
Munchkin Conan: not a sequel, but a spinoff, and man is it bad! The entire thing is rushed, there was so little effort put into it, and it REALLY shows. First, all the classes are recycled from the original Munchkin. Also, all the races are generic. They all get +2 if you're a certain class, and each one can use a specific type of weapon (sword, staff, etc) regardless of restrictions. Not to mention the art on the back of all the cards is again stolen from the original Munchkin.

Also, when the heck is Steve Jackson Games going to make Munchkin Adventure Time?! That game would be awesome!

stabbybelkar
2013-01-31, 08:33 PM
Crippling? The Blood Ravens lost two companies in the Soulstorm story and are kicking around just fine for DoW II. In Imperial Armor SM drop dead by the dozens if not hundreds every book they show up as well.

Rhinos are two dimes a dozen, being based on a mass-produceable STC originally planned for colonists and all. Dreads and land raiders are quite rarer I admit, but the fluff points out those are usually retrieved and repaired after battle. Just like in real life, you don't need to grind down a war machine into dust to make it stop, just destroy some critical systems (engine, control systems), which can be replaced relatively easily once the fighting calms down.

But anyway that's the point. In a 40K RTS I don't want to command just a couple squads that somehow got under the command of the team medic.

In a proper 40K RTS I want to command a full company! Multiple of them if the enemy is worthy enough! Give me the chance to call the whole chapter to the frontlines if the going gets tough!

THIS GUY.
THIS GUY RIGHT HERE.
Seriously, a 40K game made in the scale of the first Supreme Commander would be awesome! Just market it as an adaptation of the Apocalypse rules and you can keep it separate, for the people who liked the "tactical" style of DoWII.

Tavar
2013-01-31, 09:06 PM
Considering that what was left was more than enough to stop an ork WWAAAGHHH!!!, thousands of eldars and cripple down a whole tyranid fleet in the meantime, I can safely say that the BR presence in their recruiting worlds was in no way lacking.

First off, it wasn't thousands of Eldar. Secondly, Did you miss how close things were? How hard pressed the World were? Yes, the BR won the contest in the end.

It shouldn't have been a contest, though. The WAAAGHHH shouldn't have built up enough strength to be considered as such. The Eldar shouldn't have been able to build up such strength in the sector. The Nids are a bit different, but they still should have been stopped sooner.

Think of it as a Pro NFL team going up against a High School team. Even against the best high School team in the country, it shouldn't be a contest. If it is, that's a sign that things are really, really bad.

lord_khaine
2013-02-02, 05:45 PM
Eh. That's relative.

It'd be more difficult if you played it on a proper PSX, but not on an emulator. Now, you may say "oh, but save state is cheating!" I beg to differ; it is a viable strategy, and that's something the modders took into account. Otherwise, no one would ever finish a Super Robot Wars game, which takes into account this strategy (and sometimes, even subverts it!)

Though how do you emulate it, and what should you use to do so?

Because i have not been able to get the emulater i found to work correctly with it.

deuterio12
2013-02-03, 08:35 AM
First off, it wasn't thousands of Eldar. Secondly, Did you miss how close things were? How hard pressed the World were? Yes, the BR won the contest in the end.

It shouldn't have been a contest, though. The WAAAGHHH shouldn't have built up enough strength to be considered as such. The Eldar shouldn't have been able to build up such strength in the sector. The Nids are a bit different, but they still should have been stopped sooner.

Think of it as a Pro NFL team going up against a High School team. Even against the best high School team in the country, it shouldn't be a contest. If it is, that's a sign that things are really, really bad.

Well then by your standards the ultramarines must suck balls, because they basically deployed their full chapter to stop a nid fleet and got their full first company wiped out, not to mention certain casualities among the other companies. So yes, a nid invasion is more than a contest to SMs by itself, let alone with a WWWAAAGGHHH!!! being brewed by Eldar next door. And no, the ultrasmurfs didn't get crippled just because they lost more than 100 members in one go.

SM die when they're killed. That's why it's so important for them to keep a constant influx of new recruits to begin with. Because they always have casualities to refill. If they never took more than single digit casualities there would be no need to dedicate whole worlds to replenish their losses now would it?:smallwink:

Main point being, in a 40K RTS I don't want to do janitor duty erasing minor threats. I want to face/command a fully fledged WWAAAGGHH!!! I want to face/command a proper nid invasion. I want to face/command a fully dedicated craftworld .

Grif
2013-02-03, 09:30 AM
Well then by your standards the ultramarines must suck balls, because they basically deployed their full chapter to stop a nid fleet and got their full first company wiped out, not to mention certain casualities among the other companies. So yes, a nid invasion is more than a contest to SMs by itself, let alone with a WWWAAAGGHHH!!! being brewed by Eldar next door. And no, the ultrasmurfs didn't get crippled just because they lost more than 100 members in one go.

Uh. Not to be pedantic, but wasn't Macragge basically the Ultrasmurfs against the entire Hive Fleet Behemoth? They get a hell lot more leeway than Blood Ravens, who I assumed are dealing with a splinter hive fleet, which are much, much smaller in size and scale.

deuterio12
2013-02-03, 09:50 AM
Uh. Not to be pedantic, but wasn't Macragge basically the Ultrasmurfs against the entire Hive Fleet Behemoth? They get a hell lot more leeway than Blood Ravens, who I assumed are dealing with a splinter hive fleet, which are much, much smaller in size and scale.

And the ultrasmurfs took much, much bigger losses despite deploying a much, much bigger force than the BR did.

Plus the ultrasrmuf had the local PDFs and Imperial Fleets under their orders to directly support them, and again, didn't have to worry about a simultaneous WWAAAGGHHH!!! and eldars pulling the strings on the background.

Tavar
2013-02-03, 06:11 PM
The Blood Ravens were dealing with a more known threat, though, and like Grif said, it was a splinter fleet. Just because a group beat a platoon or three pretty easily doesn't mean that a different group that managed to beat a couple of divisions but took huge losses is a weakling.

You also seem to be disregarding all of the times that it's flat out said the Blood Ravens are weakened/in dark times/etc.

MLai
2013-02-03, 08:19 PM
This man should have gotten a sequel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfORh9cFDU8

The Glyphstone
2013-02-03, 11:26 PM
Great Modthulhu: Please redirect any further discussion of Space Marines vs. Tyranids, or similar related topics, to the Warhammer 40K Fluff thread.

Arbane
2013-02-04, 11:27 PM
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Manchester United nil
Star Control II (EVERYONE seems to have hated SC III)

Grif
2013-02-05, 12:06 AM
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Half-Life 2 Episode 2 Manchester United nil
Star Control II (EVERYONE seems to have hated SC III)

The badly written campaign of SC III, together with absolutely bizzare design decisions pretty much doomed the game.

DigoDragon
2013-02-05, 08:19 AM
Half-Life 2 Episode 2

A game I wish that got a sequel that was done. :smallamused:
I've also wished that Adrian Shepard from Opposing force got a sequel. My guess is that Gearbox hasn't been asked to lend Valve the character again?

Star Control 3's story is kinda funny in that it has a bit of a similarity to Mass Effect's story. Redoing it would be interesting because I could see an argument over who's copying who... but at minimum I'd get rid of those puppets. Crazy weird art direction in SC3.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-02-05, 09:20 PM
Well, Mass Effect 2 copied Star Control's galaxy map first. Sort of. And Mass Effect 3 is pretty much Star Control 2's plot, you just start off with a bit more to go on.

Grif
2013-02-05, 09:30 PM
Well, Mass Effect 2 copied Star Control's galaxy map first. Sort of. And Mass Effect 3 is pretty much Star Control 2's plot, you just start off with a bit more to go on.

Unless you're trying to imply the Reapers are split into two factions, paused galactic genocide to fight their own wars and the Normandy is a Precursor/Prothean ship of ancient design... uh no. :smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2013-02-05, 11:34 PM
Unless you're trying to imply the Reapers are split into two factions, paused galactic genocide to fight their own wars and the Normandy is a Precursor/Prothean ship of ancient design... uh no. :smalltongue:

I more meant in the macroscopic view of "CHARNAME! Earth has been conquered by overpowered aliens. Take your one ship and unite the people of the galaxy into an armada that can beat them up and build a huge superweapon to finish them off." Obviously the details differ, especially in the themes; Star Control 2 throws you into the situation cold and is mainly about exploration and discovery. Mass Effect 3 had two games to establish the setting, so it's more about politics and setpiece war sequences.

Then again, the Ur-Quan philosophical divide is over whether they should Control their potential enemies or Destroy them...

Avilan the Grey
2013-02-06, 03:02 AM
I more meant in the macroscopic view of "CHARNAME! Earth has been conquered by overpowered aliens. Take your one ship and unite the people of the galaxy into an armada that can beat them up and build a huge superweapon to finish them off." Obviously the details differ, especially in the themes; Star Control 2 throws you into the situation cold and is mainly about exploration and discovery. Mass Effect 3 had two games to establish the setting, so it's more about politics and setpiece war sequences.

This is just Gondor Calls For Aid. In Space. It is nothing unique, just done well. Also... Don't you mean ME1 and not ME2 when you talk about the Galaxy Map?

Nerd-o-rama
2013-02-06, 10:21 AM
2 and 3 are the ones that had the same map mechanics. Although 1's Mako sequences were a pretty good 3D representation of the lander sequences in SC2.

I'm just saying there was some pretty clear inspiration here. Mass Effect, like most popular things, is kind of a giant pile of references to earlier works.

wiimanclassic
2013-02-07, 10:13 PM
OH I got it.
Shadow Over Mystara. You know, the D&D arcade beat em up?

Also I think we should ALL ignore the guy calling DoWII an FPS. Unless he meant Space Marine(A TPS, not an FPS) he didn't even call it a genre vaguely similar to what it is.

It'd be like falling Final Fantasy a beat em up, completely wrong.

Karoht
2013-02-08, 12:53 PM
I would love to see a Street Fighter game, as a side scroller beat-em-up. Oh man, that could be all kinds of crazy fun.
The X-Men side scroller in the arcades never got a home port, except as bonus content in another game, if I recall.
I would love to see a super hero side scroller, would be pretty epic.

Raimun
2013-02-08, 01:26 PM
Arcanum 2.

Keep the character creation/development system and the option to play it either real time or turn based but make it a 3D third person view game. There's already enough FPS-RPGs and they are dull, since you can't have good melee combat with them.

Messir
2013-02-11, 11:56 AM
I'm still waiting for a Warcraft 3 Frozen Throne sequel...

SterlingAvenger
2013-02-11, 12:38 PM
Okage: Shadow King
Aiden's Quest
Guantlet, I'm sorry Seven Sorrows does not exist, I refuse to acknowledge it:smallyuk: