PDA

View Full Version : New Game to play

Blue1005
2013-01-18, 03:54 AM
i LOVE DDO, that said, i know it will not be around forever.

Are there any games in the playground pool of knowledge that have the same basic play of DDO and levels and such. I am looking for a game that I can buy once, and play till i hate it.

I would ask for another MMORPG but as well all know, servers shut down and companies move on, freestanding would be the most desired.

I appreciate your help.

Vesth
2013-01-19, 04:05 AM
I love DDO as well! If you're looking for a game like DDO, I would recommend getting a copy of Neverwinter Nights. It's no MMO, and you can keep it forever. There IS a MMO called Neverwinter (confusing, right?), which can be found here (http://nw.perfectworld.com/).

If you're looking for a free game that offers a degree of complexity and is similar to D&D in the sense that the skills you get per level up are relatively powerful though leveling is slowed somewhat, I would recommend ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal). It's a roguelike, so expect permament deaths, but hey. It's free.

Blue1005
2013-01-21, 12:13 AM
Awesome, will check those out for sure.

I was expecting a little more of a response from people...

Grinner
2013-01-21, 12:47 AM
Never having played DDO, I'm not in a position to recommend any games like it.

I can recommend a number of freeware singleplayer games, however.

POWDER (http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about) - It's a roguelike like NetHack or TOME, but it's also a bit easier to pick up.
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/85847/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries-full-free-release) - The free version of MechWarrior 4. It's about giant fighting robots. What more could you ask for?
0 A.D. (http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/) - An amazingly professional FOSS RTS. Still in development, I think.
Nitronic Rush (http://www.nitronic-rush.com/) - A strange and wonderful racing game. Looks like something out TRON.

Blue1005
2013-01-21, 01:04 AM
Never having played DDO, I'm not in a position to recommend any games like it.

I can recommend a number of freeware singleplayer games, however.

POWDER (http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about) - It's a roguelike like NetHack or TOME, but it's also a bit easier to pick up.
MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries (http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/85847/mechwarrior-4-mercenaries-full-free-release) - The free version of MechWarrior 4. It's about giant fighting robots. What more could you ask for?
0 A.D. (http://www.wildfiregames.com/0ad/) - An amazingly professional FOSS RTS. Still in development, I think.
Nitronic Rush (http://www.nitronic-rush.com/) - A strange and wonderful racing game. Looks like something out TRON.

I love mechwarrior, not even close to DDO but will check it out for sure. Didnt know there was a free version.

DDO is basically WOW only better graphics and loosely based on 3.5 rules.
Really fun game, but would like to find something else for the inevitable death, be in next week or next decade.

warty goblin
2013-01-21, 10:31 AM
I've never played DDO, but on the assumption it plays like an RPG, here's some options.

Action RPG lootfests are probably the closest thing to MMOs in the singleplayer world. I'm assuming you know about the Diablo games (which personally I don't really like all that much), so here's some similar suggestions.

Titan Quest: Run around classical mythology murdering demi-humans and taking their stuff. The maps are all hand done, not randomly cobbled together, which gives a better sense of place and flow. The leveling system is pleasingly broad as well, and much less restrictive than standard class systems. Still looks surprisingly good as well.

Sacred/Sacred II. Both of these feature alarming amounts of handmade geography, and some creatively weird character class options. The first game lets you play as a demon, a vampiress knight, and some other slightly more mundane choices. The second lets you play a jackel-headed robot with an upgradable bionic arm that shoots lasers. The skill systems are seriously deep, with freakish amount of customization; the second game in particular has so many systems it almost hurts. They're a little rough around the edges, and may be the world's largest repositories of fetch quests, but they're still my go-to games for the occasional bit of mass minion murder. Sacred I has some pleasant 2D backgrounds, but is ten years old and obviously not much of a looker anymore. Sacred II with all the settings cranked will just about blow your eyeballs out.

Torchlight is Diablo II, except with even less character. Avoid.

Moving into slightly broader territory, mostly focusing on titles with big maps and lots of content. Based on the literally nothing I know about MMOs, it seems like a thing they're known for.

I have had a lot of fun with Divinity II, which is now up to Director's Cut edition (this game has had a bunch of editions, which has caused me to buy it three times). It's a pleasantly goofy world with a nice sense of humor that manages to be slightly whimsical without descending to whacky, and lots of cool little details. Tucked away under the first town for instance is a talking tree, who just shows up as part of a not particularly major side quest. Because why not a talking tree living in a cave. It also embraces a suitably 'why the hell not' sort of attitude, so you can change your appearance pretty much at will later in the game, design and summon your very own necromantic horrors, and turn into a dragon. This allows for lots of exploration fun once you unlock the ability. The combat is also enjoyably flaily, but can get fairly challenging in terms of dodging and skill use. Also it's got a nice open leveling system. It's probably one of my favorite semi-open RPGs.

(The first game in the series, Divine Divinity is a good time if you like gorgeous 2D games. It's also quite large and detailed.)

Two Worlds II is slightly dodgy around the edges, but is a nice timewaster. Also you get to go to some unusual places and murder different wildlife than most fantasy RPGs (the opening of the game is essentially set in North Africa, and contains murder ostriches). The combat is a bit more tactical than Divinity 2's, with well developed block options, and different skills for different weapon classes. Also there's apparently a cool spellcasting system, but I never really bothered with it. It contains large amounts of geography, but to my mind isn't quite as good a time as Divinity 2.

(Two Worlds I is only worth playing if you have a taste for delightfully terrible games, of which it may be the finest example. If for some reason you don't like horrible things though, you should avoid it.)

If you like misery, Risen is a solid investment. Insofar as one can be, this is an RPG about material poverty, and repeatedly kicking the player in the face. Combat's nothing to write home about, the graphics are nice, and the quests are very well done for the most part. Not a game if you like your decisions to be between the good axe and the really good axe.

Risen 2 is, well, a thing. I guess. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but there isn't anything all that right with it either. There's combat, which was such a non-even I remember literally nothing about it save that giant crabs are devilspawn who will rip a chunk off your ass and slow roast it with herbs. It lacks the first game's feeling of grinding poverty, while still making it hard to get any items you don't hate, and although the pirate theme is pretty cool, that's about all to be said for it.

Kingdoms of Amalur is also a viable choice. It's most like Divinity II in terms of overall design, but lacks that game's fun atmosphere and cool details. Instead it's got combat that's legitimately good, albeit a bit easy. I have literally no idea what the story is, and I really don't care. It's a good choice anytime a person feels like rearranging a troll's grey matter with a pike made out of weaponized fate energy. Very much a less thinking, more stabbing sort of game.

Skyrim is skippable. If you're going to deal with combat that bad, you may as well go somewhere fun. Divinity II for instance...Except Divinity II's combat is better too.

Everybody owes it to themselves to play Mount & Blade. Seriously. Play Mount & Blade. After you figure out how to kill a dude with a single sword blow as your gallop past, you will thank me. M&B: Warband is probably the place to start, unless you want the Lord of the Rings-tastic Last Days of the Third Age mod, in which case you need the original, unsubtitled, M&B.

If you're OK with smaller amounts of geography, I have an entire other set of recommendations. Because this is already getting long however, I won't write them up unless you need more words to look at.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-21, 10:45 AM
When it comes to hack-and-slash, there's also Torchlight and Torchlight II. The dev team worked on Diablo II previously, I believe, and the game itself shines. You go into dungeons and slay monsters, loot up, upgrade your equipment, and keep chugging potions. It's a very fast game, and you're also able to port back to the town on a regular basis (I have a massive surplus of town portal scrolls).

Graphics are a bit cartoony, but if that doesn't put you off, I've been thoroughly enjoying the first game--and intend to grab the second.