PDA

View Full Version : Skill's for a Gish?

Vaz
2013-01-18, 06:02 AM
I've built my Gish, and have worked out what skill rank investment I need to get to all of my Prestige Classes.

I have 144 Skill Points left after that period by Level 20. I intend to go for UMD and UPD to get access to those spells, but they are cross class; I do have access to a decent Charisma score, however, even though they Max out at 11 each.

So, assume I have 100 Skill Points left. What skills should I invest in, bearing in mind I am capable of casting 9th Level Spells.

Krazzman
2013-01-18, 06:09 AM
I've built my Gish, and have worked out what skill rank investment I need to get to all of my Prestige Classes.

I have 144 Skill Points left after that period by Level 20. I intend to go for UMD and UPD to get access to those spells, but they are cross class; I do have access to a decent Charisma score, however, even though they Max out at 11 each.

So, assume I have 100 Skill Points left. What skills should I invest in, bearing in mind I am capable of casting 9th Level Spells.

20 ranks in profession (Tavernowner)?

On a more serious note:
Knowledges with Knowledge Devotion are pretty good. Spot and Listen are always a good choice and Tumble is good too. Maybe one or two social skills like bluff or diplomacy.

Vaz
2013-01-18, 07:27 AM
I'll have to see if I can make space for Knowledge Devotion.

mattie_p
2013-01-18, 07:32 AM
You sure you don't want to dip factotum 1 to get UMD and UPD as class skills, increasing your cap from 11 to 23 at level 20? Or human paragon? 11 Ranks won't allow you to reliably UMD/UPD. Just a thought

Amphetryon
2013-01-18, 07:40 AM
5 Ranks in Balance are always a good investment.

5 Ranks in Bluff gives the equivalent of 8 bonus Skill points via synergies.

5 Ranks in Decipher Script can help your UMD rolls (and may be worth maxing in any event, depending on DM). The same goes for Spellcraft, on both counts.

Vaz
2013-01-18, 07:56 AM
Sadly not, it would mean giving up 9th Level spells.

Apprenticeship can get me UMD as a class skill to 5th Level, after then it goes back to cross class (but can still be maxed out at 23, rather than 11.5); so that's 38 Skill Points invested rather than 22. Might be worth considering. The other benefits are less useful. And I wouldn't really consider it to be that useful. Let's just say that my Charisma is high enough to otherwise convince the item. Because... well, it is.

@Amphetryon, thank you, massive help!

JeminiZero
2013-01-18, 09:24 AM
Don't forget Skill Tricks!

Tumble is good. And if you are already getting tumble, Tumble unlocks a bunch that lets you move around/stand up from prone without eating AoOs.

As a Gish, you almost definitely have Concentration, so also get Swift Concentration.

If you have other skills like Bluff or Sleight of Hand, you can also get false theurgy to fake spells.

docnessuno
2013-01-18, 11:37 AM
Don't forget Skill Tricks!

Tumble is good. And if you are already getting tumble, Tumble unlocks a bunch that lets you move around/stand up from prone without eating AoOs.

As a Gish, you almost definitely have Concentration, so also get Swift Concentration.

If you have other skills like Bluff or Sleight of Hand, you can also get false theurgy to fake spells.

More on skill tricks:

While "collector of stories" doesn't work RAW with knowledge devotion, most sane DMs will allow it, unless they are intentionally nerfing the feat.

"Conceal spellcasting" is amazing in many social situations.