PDA

View Full Version : DTK Birchdale [IC thread]

thechosen2nd
2013-01-18, 12:06 PM
Birchdale
Day 137 of the 1034th year of the Agrelian Union

"So begins the first meeting of the 16th order of the Birchdale Martial Defense Committee."

A wiry young man stands at the head of the table at which you all find yourselves seated. You are in a large administrative room on the second floor of the Town Hall. The enormous table, surrounded by over a dozen chairs, fills the majority of the room, which is otherwise devoid of any furniture. The walls, however, are ornately decorated with paintings framed ornately in gold, and intricate wooden carvings depicting heroic members of Birchdale's past. This current gathering hardly fills half the table, leaving the room with an uncomfortable ambiance of emptiness.

The man (who you would all know to be Haleth Stemhorn, the treasurer of Birchdale) is well dressed, in simple but beautiful cream-colored robes. To his left, a youthful looking adolescent wearing a light-green robe of similar fabric is seated at the table, and he begins writing down the man's every word on a lengthy scroll of parchment.

Haleth seats himself at the head of the table and continues his introductions in a dignified drawl.

"As you are no doubt aware, you are all gathered here today in light of the recent evidence suggesting impending attacks from the Hobgoblin horde of the eastern mountains. You have been selected by your community as outstanding members of our great society capable of both organizing and leading the defense of the city. Our collective safety rests in your hands."

He pauses a moment to let his scribe catch up, but also, you have to imagine, to let his words sink in. After looking around the room with a stern, meaningful gaze, he resumes.

"Now, if you would all be so kind, I would ask that you all formally introduce yourselves to the rest of the committee, and in doing so, ceremonially accept the task entrusted in you by the Town of Birchdale."

He raises a hand towards his scribe, indicating that this need not go on the record, before adding:

"And be brief, please... we have much to accomplish today."

Please introduce your character to the rest of the group, including a brief description of his/her appearance. See the NPC below for a model.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-18, 12:43 PM
A large man seated immediately to Haleth's right rises from his seat, his clean steel chain-mail clinking softly as he stands. A longsword rests in a deep red scabbard on his left hip, and an ornate helm sits before him on the table. The beginning signs of age are starting to show in the form of lines on his face and specks of grey in his hair, but is is still a formidable looking man, appearing to have maintained the grace and strength of one much younger than himself into his later years. He speaks in a deep voice, exuding confidence and power with every word.

"Marion Stormsword, captain of the town guard. I've been charged with protecting the city from harm for nigh on twenty years, and I don't intend to stop now. No harm will come to the citizens of Birchdale so long as my sword is in my hand. That's a promise."

As he re-seats himself, he adds with a grumble:
"Though I doubt there is any more cause for this gathering than there was for the last one. Hobgoblin horde my arse."

Sabishii
2013-01-18, 05:07 PM
Valentyne

Seeing as he was sitting next to Marion, Valentyne figured it was his turn to introduce himself. The metal plates of his armor clinked together as he stood. His face was ageless owing to his Elven heritage. His scraggy brown hair was cropped short most certainly by himself since the cut was not consistent. Overall he appeared a man that cared little of his general appearance; however, his clothes and equipment were clean and carefully maintained.

"My name is Valentyne and this here is Serenity." He gestures to the snow leopard curled around his chair. "I am a son of Birchdale. Years of hunting and trapping has provided me with an intimate knowledge of the lands outside our walls. On top of that I have spent the last 20 years of my life as part of the king's army. War is not new to me and I can assure you, Marion, that this 'Hobgoblin horde' is very real and very interested in killing you."

With that the half-elf took his seat petting his faithful companion as he listened to the other introductions.

Burnheart
2013-01-18, 05:25 PM
After Stormsword re-seats himself a tall wild looking young half elf swiftly rises, a flash of amusement in his green eyes as he looks down upon the man "Perhaps you'd rather a nice chair by the fire in the Jolly Dragon then?" Alain asks him in a slightly mocking tone before turning to face the others and drawing his gleaming dragon etched blade, taller than the dwarf seated nearby, whilst boldly declaring

"I am Alain Kalasath'yth warrior of the Kalasath'yth, my parents won much glory when they fought against the Hobgoblin hordes 50 years ago and now its my turn, i shall not fail this i swear by the great twin spirits."

As he swears his vow the dragon tattoos on Alains arms seem to flash and writhe for a split second before he takes his seat again.

Moranica
2013-01-19, 06:15 AM
As if lost in thought, Akral strokes his beard a few times before he get's up. He wears his usual attire, a workmans outfit, and his hair looks a ruffled. His grey hair and eyes speak of wisdom though and when he speaks his low rumbling voice easily reaches everyone's ears.

"I am Akral, most of the weapons and armor you carry have been fashioned by me or my former students. Since I worked all my life to make things to protect you, I might as well join in myself. If war is indeed coming, it is vital we prepare."

"Miss Stormsword, what preperations do you have for such circumstances?"

Akral says, while he sits down again.

Steckie
2013-01-19, 11:55 AM
Adalind

"Adalind Erminadottir" The next person at the table says.
She's a short woman. A bit on the heavy side, most of it seems to be muscle, but the recent slow years seemed to have given her a bit extra weight that isn't muscle. She has shoulder-length dark brown hair.
She's wearing an older styled breastplate that hasn't seen use in a couple of years but is still perfectly maintained. She obviously hasn't worn it in a couple of years and put it on to make a good impression with the rest of the people on this committee.
"I'm a former captain of the Agrelia Army. I have a lot of experience in defensive tactics, but i'm no stranger to offensive fighting.
Give me enough men and i'll teach them to form a decent tortoise or wedge formation, or a shield wall. I've fought against Hobgoblins before, i even learned their language so i was able to properly question prisoners.
I came here five years ago after i was honorably discharged and given a piece of land in town. I now own a business in town 'Adalinds Transports'. You've probably already seen the warehouse and the boats i own by the docks.

I need to protect my business and daughter from any raid that might come this way. Plus, it's nice to be a soldier again, i've missed the life."

thechosen2nd
2013-01-20, 01:20 AM
Next to Adalind sits a old, bald man, clothed in grey robes. His hands are folded in his lap, and he appears calm, but very deeply lost in thought. He's hardly looked up at all throughout the meeting thus far, and he doesn't bother to rise out of his seat to introduce himself. His words are few, and seem chosen carefully.

"I am Ben Krestson, though around here I am known as old Ben. I will offer my advice to help best defend the citizens of Birchdale from the Hobgoblin horde."

Across the table, Mr. Stormsword is silently fuming at Alain's slight against him, although he says nothing. You also notice that he rolls his eyes when Ben is speaking.

Haleth was waiting, a bit impatiently, for everyone to introduce themselves, and now he resumes, talking quickly:

"Of course, I am Haleth, town treasurer, and current overseer of administrative operations in Birchdale, since the Mayor decided to takes some "vacation time"... conveniently just after he heard the rumors about hobgoblin attacks... (The mangy coward...)"

"Anyway, as Akral was saying about preparations, the most logical place to start would be our fortifications. I have a copy of the blueprints right here."

He lays out a large map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AplJjJFTK7FgdFl0VUJ0akJVVGFGUDk5ajRQbXVmd 3c) on the table. As everyone leans forward to examine the map, Haleth leans back, and continues talking.

"Of course, as one of our first actions, surely it will be vital to assess the current condition of the walls throughout the entire circumference of the town as soon as possible. As you can see, our information on the quality of the walls is severely out of date, and aside from a few minor repairs, most of the wood is over thirty years old."

Marion Stormsword interjects:

"And who's fault might that be? As I recall, I've been trying to get the wall rebuilt for the past decade, but for some reason our budget is always too tight!"

"And I've told you, time and time again, that I cannot approve a budget plan without sufficient data! The fault is yours, as you are the one who obstinately refuses to follow protocol!"

Ben sighs, his face still completely serene and his voice even: "The faults of the past matter not, it is the future that concerns us."

Both Haleth and Stormsword shoot murderous glares at old Ben.
"What's that supposed to mean, old man?"

Tempers are clearly rising already, and the meeting has barely started. Looks like this could be a long day...

OOC:

The map has pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about the fortifications. Large sheets of paper attached behind the map detail building costs, dates of repairs made, and other valuable administrative information about the upkeep. It is clear that records or repairs in recent years are significantly lower than in earlier decades.

The map I provided you is obviously just the stronghold at the main gate into Brichdale, since if I included the whole city it would throw the scale off. All you really need to know though is that the wall surrounding the rest of the city is your typical wooden palisade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palisade) wall, made of large stakes around 12 feet tall, and pointed at the top. That's pretty much all you've got right now for defenses.

Any questions, ask Haleth or Marion, although you might want to try to diffuse the tension first... :smallsigh:

Burnheart
2013-01-20, 03:04 AM
Alain snorts "What value in bickering like dogs over what lies in the Frozen Time?" he stares the three men straight in the eyes, holding each of their gazes for a moment before continuing

"There is none. We Face the Unfound Time, knowing it brings great darkness and all that awaits us here is to decide how best to prepare until we join with the darkness and stand facing it in the Flowing time"

Steckie
2013-01-20, 05:02 AM
Adalind

Adalind ignores the bickering men, she does hear them talk though. The only one that seems to make a bit sense is Old Ben. At least he doesn't whine about the past and wants to make a difference.
She studies the map, grabs a piece of paper and a pencil that Haleth probaby has lying around and starts taking notes. On the backside she makes a quick sketch of the defenses.

"Haleth, i have a few questions.
- How is the status of the other military supplies? Do we have any weapons? Armor How many horses do we have available?
- How many men and women do we have abailable to build our army? And how many have already had combat training? Any mages or clerics available? Or trained scouts?
- Is there enough wood available to improve the wall? Or do we have stockpiles of stone?
- How are the defenses on the other sides of town?
- Do we need to try to keep the road to the south open for trade? I don't know how much trade is going that way. If we need to send out patrols to keep the road safe, it's going to need to be worth it.

I may have some more questions later, but let's start with these ones."

Thechosen2nd: Where is the river located? Is it in the middle of town or is the town north of the river?
What i mean is, could we keep these defenses manned while building better defenses at the river and pull back there when the time is right?

Moranica
2013-01-20, 06:45 AM
Akral nods approvingly at Adalind.

"Indeed, we need to know the status of our current defenses. The gatehouse looks like a good start, but the wall does not. We'll need to funnel them to the gate, or something. But before we start improving our defenses, we'll need to know what we'll be facing."

"Alain, you said your family has fought these Hobgoblin's before. Do you have any clues on the make up of their troops and tactics?"

While saying this, his look also lingers on Old Ben for a moment. Being the other senior in the room, Akral hopes that he might have some experience with this as well.

Burnheart
2013-01-20, 09:29 AM
"You all talk as though we should be waiting for them to march up to the walls to fight" Alain says with a shake of his head "We should carry the battle to them and lay an ambush, not sit here cowering" Alain smiles at the thought and his Tattoos seem somehow more vibrant as well.

"The first bands of Hobgoblins will be little more than scout patrols yes? Easy enough to cut down and it would give you more time to build your precious walls"

Steckie
2013-01-20, 10:06 AM
Adalind

Adalind shakes her head. "Wrong, Alain.
They may or may not be scout patrols. We can't be sure of that. But even if they are scout patrols, a breach in one of the walls on the wrong place can be devastating.
At the moment i doubt we have the resources to take the battle to them.
What we CAN do is send out scouts to see what we're up against. See where they're coming from, what troops they have.
Once we have the information we need, and only then, can we start thinking about laying an ambush. Preferably on their food or weapon transports. Don't start killing their men, but bleed them dry and let the weather and bad equipment kill them.

Although i am glad you seem eager to bash in some of their skulls." She says with a smile.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-20, 10:54 AM
Stormsword pounds his fist on the table and turns his glares around the table.

"And YOU ALL talk as though this "hobgoblin horde" is a sure thing! I'm telling you, them hobgoblin's haven't been seen this far west since the last war, nor have they been organized in to a horde since that time either. Let me tell you all a little something about hobgoblins, in case you didn't know. They're not so civilized like the rest of us; all they care about is war. And when their enemies are too strong, they go to war with each other. Ever since we drove them off into the mountains 50-some years ago, they've been waging wars amongst themselves non-stop. No way they're going to march all the way to Birchdale. It just ain't going to happen. These village raids we've been hearing about are probably just rumors stirred up by the commonfolk. And in the off chance they are true, there's probably just one small clan that got bored fighting their own and decided to get their kicks raiding a few undefended hamlets. The Agrelian army will send up a small battalion and squash them in no time, and that's assuming they don't turn 'round and go home first."

Haleth lets out an exasperated sigh, and begins to respond to Marion's comment in an equally raised voice, but Ben cut's him off early in his calm tone:

"Marion's point is fair, Haleth. Evidence to the alternative is based purely on rumors and hearsay."

This seems to calm Stomsword's rage a bit, giving him some satisfaction, although Haleth face is turning red, and at the moment he seems too angry to speak.

Moranica
2013-01-20, 11:48 AM
"Well, it seems clear we need intelligence on the supposed invaders. What would be the easiest way to confirm this?"

"In the mean time, as you said yourself, Miss Stormsword, the walls need work. So we should start on that, regardless. Haleth, what do you need from us to be able to free up some coin for the restoration?"

Steckie
2013-01-20, 12:36 PM
Adalind

"We can make a compromise here, like Akral said.
We send out scouts to gather information while the people remaining in the city repair the walls.
If there is a horde, we've got a better wall and more information. If there isn't one, Marion here gets the wall he's been asking for and there and the rest of us go back to our lives.

Now we just need to decide who we are going to send out.
Do we need to go and scout ourselves or are there trained scouts available?"

Sabishii
2013-01-20, 12:39 PM
Valentyne

Valentyne remains silent his arms folded, his brow furrowed in thought, as he listens and waits for the right moment to interject.

"Marion, you are right. We know too little; however, this is where my skills will show. As long as no one is opposed I will take a brief sortie to see what the true state of these villages and hamlets are."

As he talks he pulls out a fine piece of leather rolling it out on the table to reveal that it is a hand-drawn map of the area. He points to several small villages closer to the border and says

"From what I've heard these are the villages that have suffered attacks. It's not too far and I should be back in a few days."

Valentyne looks over everyone in the room waiting for their reactions to his plan. Remembering some note he wanted to bring up he turns to Haleth.

"What of provisions, Haleth? Obviously the river will provide us with fish and water, but what of greens and meat?"

thechosen2nd
2013-01-20, 07:09 PM
So I probably should have chosen a less gender neutral name, but Marion Stormsword is a man. Not that it really matters, it's just that I introduced him as a "he", so I feel like we should stick with that. Sorry for the confusion.

Haleth stops fuming long enough to consider Akral's questions.
"I suppose that even though the evidence seems compelling, we could definitely use more information. A scouting mission might be worthwhile, although it could prove very dangerous if the rumors are true, Valentyne."

"As for the funding for wall construction, the problem is not so much the money as the documentation. Our coffers are reasonably full, but the town council is very adamant that we must accurately record the quality of the wall before and after construction, so that should be ever be accused of embezzlement, we have proof that the taxpayers money is being put to good use. It shouldn't take long; just one trip around the wall with the appropriate measuring tools and writing utensils. We could even get it done this afternoon, and start construction tomorrow."

"And Valentyne, the river does supply us nearly all of our needs, either through fishing or through trade. Food prices may go up a bit and quality may go down, without the farms to the east bringing in fresh grain every week, however starvation and dehydration shouldn't be of any major concern, should we fall under siege.

Stormsword is still a bit heated, but he has been mollified for the most part.
"We've got 25 full time members on the guard force, all with good arms and armor. The last time we rounded up a militia we came to around 200 total (that's including the guard, that is) who were all armed, though some of those militiamen were standing out there with rusty swords and naught but a helm for protection. If we wanted to raise our numbers, we would definitely want to have a talk with the local blacksmiths.

...Though, I still say we're over reacting..."

At that moment, as if on cue, a shrill ringing sound resonates throughout the town.

Marion bolts up, and grabs his helm.
"That's the gate-bell... only for emergencies..."
He rushes out of the room without another word.

Sabishii
2013-01-20, 07:32 PM
Valentyne

I think Akral was trying to insult him because of the gender neutrality of his name.
Awesome, somehow Marion stuck around.

Valentyne quickly jumps to his feet grabbing his longbow from where it had been resting against the table. He hurries after Marion with Serenity fast on his heels. As he nears the gatehouse he readies an arrow.

Burnheart
2013-01-20, 10:10 PM
Alain leaps to his feet when he hears the bell and rushes out towards the gate arriving well ahead of the others with Tho'las unsheathed and eager for blood.
Alains got a 40ft speed the others are at 20ft so he'll get there in half the time it takes them, except for Adalind who's 30ft but he'll still arrive first.

Steckie
2013-01-21, 03:06 AM
Adalind

Adalind quickly puts on her shield, sticking her arm through the leather strap on the back and grabbing the other leather strap firmly in her left hand. She grabs her longsword out of its scabbard and starts running towards the gate as fast as she can.

Moranica
2013-01-21, 11:17 AM
"What?! Please send someone for my armor. It's right in the living room!"
Next Akral get's up, and runs after the rest, as fast as his short legs can carry him.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-21, 03:02 PM
OOC:
assuming you are all running, it takes Alain 6 rounds, Akral and Valentyne 12 rounds, and 8 rounds for Marion and Adalind. Remember, running for longer than your con. score means making a DC 10 check to keep running.

At this point only Alain gets to act.

Alain:

You arrive at the gatehouse eager for blood, only to find the gate closed, and a small crowd gathered around. Three guards are in the courtyard behind the gatehouse trying to disperse the crowd, while a fourth stands atop the barbican looking anxiously out on the road.

(see the map. And G4 is on the 2nd floor.)

Burnheart
2013-01-21, 08:09 PM
Alain wades into the crowd blade drawn and roaring "Martial Defense Committee, stand aside" and the crowd clears a path for him to reach the gaurds.

When he does reach one Alain turns him around and quietly asks "What happend?"

thechosen2nd
2013-01-21, 10:51 PM
Alain:
As you force your way through the crowd, people are drawn by your shouting about the Martial Defense Committee, which seems to cause the crowd to grow. You push your way though anyways, and find an overwhelmed looking guard. He stutters out a response to your question as he continues trying to quell the anxious crowd in front of him.

"There's a wagon out on the road, looks to be being attacked by something. Dorin says its goblins! What should we do?"

Burnheart
2013-01-21, 11:24 PM
"What do we do? We help them of course" Alain looks suprised that the guard even asked "Open the gate and follow me" he commands.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-22, 01:21 AM
The guard scratches his head...

"Open the gate? But then they might be able to get in. Isn't it too risky? There seems to be a lot of them..."

Burnheart
2013-01-22, 02:57 AM
"So you're just going to abandon those people out there?" Alain replies sharply with an edge of anger "If it were your family out there would you want us to stand here and let them die?" he continues whilst staring straight into the guards eyes.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-22, 12:20 PM
OOC:
In the future, convincing an NPC to do something dangerous and/or something they don't want to do requires a diplomacy or intimidate check. I'll just roll it for you.
[roll0]

The guard looks back at you defensively. "N...no, of course, but the defense of the city is most important. Besides, just the two of us? We'd be killed for sure! What good does that do anyone?"

At this point, Marion and Adalind have just about caught up. Marion roars up to the guard at the lookout post:
"What the devil is going on?!"

He shouts back down:
"Wagon under attack on the road, about 100 yards out now. Looks to be goblins! At least 10... nay, closer to 20 of them!"

Steckie
2013-01-22, 01:58 PM
Adalind

"Ten to twenty of them? There's a whole crowd here, and the guards. We can save them if we try." Adalind says. She takes a quick look around and thinks for a few seconds.
"LISTEN UP. I AM CAPTAIN ADALIND OF THE DEFENSE COMMITTEE. AND HERE'S WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO!
Alain, you take the center. I'm on your right, Marion you're on his left. We three are the spearhead.
You three guards stay close to Marion on the left flank."
She looks over to the crowd, searching for the men and women who seem to be able to fight decently.
She starts pointing them out. "You, you, you, you, you and you." She says pointing at six that seem decent. "Grab a weapon and shield or helmet in the barracks, you're with me on the right flank. And You, you and you as well. The three of you are on the left flank with the guards.

I also need at least 10 people that can shoot a bow, grab one in the barracks. Valentyne will lead you once he catches up. Start shooting as soon as you can, stop once we reach the wagon.
The dwarf Akral will be our backup once he arrives, he will support the flank that seems to have the most problems.

Does that seem clear to everybody? Good, now start getting weapons, you have 1 minute!"

I'm going for a diplo check: [roll0]

Here's what Adalind is trying to get done:

---------(Valentyne+Archer group,10 or more)-----------
--------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------(Akral, backup)-----------------------
(Marion+3guards+3militia)///(Alain)///(Adalind+6militia)

Also, don't feel obliged to follow this plan, i'm just trying to play Adalind as a former officer that has a lot of eperience telling people what to do :smallsmile:

thechosen2nd
2013-01-22, 06:55 PM
The nine commoners you pointed to in the crowd immediately turn white as sheets, and start to back away.

"Is she serious?" one whispers to another.

"Gods above, I think she's serious..."

all nine turn tail and run, and suddenly, just about everyone else in the crowd seems to have something better to do. There are three left; two young men who by the looks of it were simply too shocked by your presence of authority to back away, and one tall middle aged woman who actually appears genuinely brave (for a commoner, at least.) She looks around at the fast dispersing crowd and steps forward hesitantly.

"W...well my father taught me how to shoot a bow when I was young... he always said I was very good, but I haven't touched one in over a dozen years now. If you need help though, I'll do what I can."

Marion seems to have finally caught his breath now (he was rather winded by the run, trying to keep up with Alain) and he regains his composure.

"Where are the guards on backup duty today? They should have been in the barracks..."

As if on cue, six guards come stumbling out of the barracks, hastily throwing chain shirts on over their guard uniforms and buckling their swords to their belts.

"Don't tell me you lazy cretins went on active duty without wearing your full uniform! If one of you three miserable excuses for guards doesn't run into the armory and grab these three commoners here each a bow and quiver in the next 30 seconds I'll put you on latrine duty for a year, instead of just a month!"

One of the guards bolts back into the armory and comes back out with an armful of quivers and arrows, handing them out to the two confused looking young men and the older woman.

At this point, Akral and Valentyne have caught up. (Unless Alain wants to do anything else.) Ben and Haleth are jogging along a ways back, but they'll catch up eventually. Ben does have a blade of some kind in a scabbard on his hip, but Haleth is unarmed, and it's probably safe to assume neither have any intention of charging into battle.

Sabishii
2013-01-22, 07:32 PM
Valentyne

As he runs towards the gate he hears Adalind and Marion's shouted orders and chuckles to himself over the results. When he arrives Valentyne takes a few seconds to catch his breath; he hadn't run like that in years.

"3? Ah well it's to be expected in a fishing town like Birchdale."

He smiles at the two youths and the woman. Turning to Adalind, who in the short time he has known her has won more respect from him than any of the present cast, he askes "What and how many?"

He motions to the three would-be archers to stick close to him as he nods towards the gate saying "Arkal will catch up. We need to act now." and with that starts moving for the gate with Serenity by his side and the townspeople meekly following behind.

Burnheart
2013-01-23, 02:55 AM
Alain nods in approval of Adalind's orders

"I shall rush the Goblins leader and strike him down first."

Alain declares as he rolls his shoulders and adjusts his grip on Tho'las

"Now open the gate."

Steckie
2013-01-23, 06:42 AM
Adalind

"Son of a......" Adalind mutters under her breath, obviously not amused by the actions of the crowd.
But she tries to keep calm, after all these people are not trained soldiers ready to jump at her command.

"Alright, we'll have less support from archers, but we'll manage with some more trained guards.
You five." She says, pointing at five of the guards. "You follow Stormsword. The other five follow me.
Alain, once the guards are in formation, lead us to the Goblins. Try to move at the pace of our slowest combatant so we stay in formation.
Once you're ready, move out."
Adalind draws her sword, makes sure her shield is decently strapped on and takes her place on the right of Alain. She motions the five guards she assigned to the right flank to follow her.
She also takes a good look at the terrain in front of them. She hopes to spot some cover for the three archers, or some other favorable terrain for them.

Knowledge geography: [roll0]

thechosen2nd
2013-01-23, 11:59 AM
"Woah, hold on there, miss. You're forgetting, someone needs to operate the gate. That's their job, after all. Not charging into battle."

"Dorin, scrath that, you stay up there and keep a lookout for us. Henry and Davon, you two are on door duty. Close the door behind us, and don't open it back up unless Dorin gives the Ok. And dorin, that gate doesn't open until every last goblin is out of sight, you hear me?"

"Otherwise, as Adalind said... you four with her, you three with me."

Steckie
2013-01-23, 01:17 PM
Adalind

Okay, just relax Adalind. These people don't know you very well. And if some idiot suddenly starts undermining the little bit of authority you have over these men, you shouldn't be mad. They really are his men after all. She thinks to herself while trying to calm down.

"Very well." She eventually says and looks back at the Goblins. A look of irritation has appeared on her face, she's going to work out her anger on those marauders.

Moranica
2013-01-23, 01:50 PM
While the gate slowly opens, Akral moves in and casts Bless, catching as many of the man within the radius as possible.

He then follows out quicky, getting ready cast summon monster III when in range.

+1 to attack for all in range, 6 min. duration

thechosen2nd
2013-01-24, 01:25 PM
The gate opens, and you all pour out into the field. The wagon and goblins are still pretty far off in the distance, but you can clearly hear the terrified whinnies of the horse, and the squeals and squeaks of happy goblins coming closer every second.

The battlefield is very flat; there isn't anywhere that would provide any notable advantage to archers, other than in the barbican. If anything, there is a barely perceptible slope upwards going away from the wall but for most of the field this would have no impact on maneuverability, cover, etc. There is a copse of trees a ways off to the west, but the archers would never get there in time, and it would be too far away to fire accurately.

OOC:
So you should all roll initiative now. I'll post in the OOC thread to explain how I'm going to run combat rounds.

The goblins are like 200 feet away now, so you still have a bit of time.

Burnheart
2013-01-24, 02:42 PM
Alain gives a feral grin as the air around him becomes hazy, almost as if the veil between life and death had became visible to mortal eyes.

Entering rage as a free action and rolling init.
[roll0]

Steckie
2013-01-24, 03:36 PM
Adalind

Adalind keeps up to Alains speed, letting him control the pace of the advance. She looks left and right, doing a last check of the formation.
She spots one of the guards running too far to the right. "Hey you, move closer and stay in the bloody formation! You want to get yourself killed?"
As soon as he falls back in line, she relaxes and focuses on the Goblins.
It's been five years, but she's still ready to fight.

Initiative: [roll0]

Sabishii
2013-01-24, 04:59 PM
Valentyne

As the group moves through the gate Valentyne passes on some advice. "Keep both eyes open when you shoot. You'll see twice as well." He smirks at this small joke. "Focus down any of their archers first. Once the others are toe to toe with the fiends stop shooting. You're likely to hit one of us and we wouldn't want that. When you have nothing left to shoot at either cause they're dead or they're fighting one of our guys, retreat back to the gate. Well that's all I've got for you. Let's go."

As he steps through the gate Valentyne takes a deep breath as if to suck the energy of nature from it. He readjusts his grip on his longbow and nocks an arrow as he falls into position with his archers. Serenity marches proudly by his side her eyes fixed at the battle before her.

Initiative:
Valentyne: [roll0]
Serenity: [roll1]

Moranica
2013-01-25, 09:45 AM
"I'll stay with the archers first. I have a nice way to improve their aim."

Initiative [roll0]

Sabishii
2013-01-25, 12:13 PM
Seeing as Valentyne rolled a 19, he'll be taking his turn now.

I'm going to take you at face value when you said they were 200ft away and hope that at least 3 goblins are within 220ft of me.

He's going to roll to discern goblins from humans from his current position.
Perception: [roll0] (goblins)
Perception: [roll1] (humans)

As the goblin raiders come into sight he takes a survey to differentiate the humans from the goblins. Wouldn't want to hit any of the people. Bound to kill them if I do. With the knowledge at hand Valentyne takes the best aim he can at the three closest enemies and in the blink of an eye releases four arrows into the sky.

Full Round Action
Taking advantage of rapid shot and manyshot eating the penalties for range and rapid shot with my favored enemy bonus
1st Attack: [roll2]
Confirm Crit: (1d20+8)[13]
Crit Damage: (4d8+32)[61]
Damage: [roll3]
2nd Attack [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
3rd Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]
edit: oh **** I crit.

Steckie
2013-01-25, 01:48 PM
Adalind

Adalind keeps running next to Alain, trying to keep up with him. He's fast, but she'll manage. At this pace they'll reach the Goblins in no time.

Full round action: run max 120 ft.
If Adalind is faster than Alain, she'll hold back a bit to stay next to him.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-28, 01:55 PM
Valentyne's unerring accuracy is formidable. All four arrows arc gracefully through the air and hit their marks, dropping three of the goblins before they even knew what hit them.

This attracts the attention of a number of the goblins, who turn their focus from the wagon and horse towards your party standing outside the gate. However, a handful of the goblins still haven't noticed you, and are still busy trying to climb on to the back of the wagon.

As Adalind charges forward, two of the goblins try chucking their javelins at her. One glances harmlessly off her armor, while another sails over her head.

Meanwhile, the wagon continues to trundle towards the stronghold, although it's clear to tell even from this far that the horse is struggling badly.

Okay, now it's the good guys' turn again. I updated the map with another tab for the current battlefield, so you can get a sense of where you are.

Adalind, I hope I understood your move right, I wasn't sure if you meant for that to be a readied action waiting for Alain to move or not.

Moranica
2013-01-28, 02:26 PM
Akral steps forward 5 feet and starts humming somekind of melody, with the occasional high pitched shriek in between. He seems to be calling out, but nothing is happening.

Using Summon monster III to get [roll0] eagles to appear the next turn.

Akral so feels like Gandalf.

Burnheart
2013-01-28, 02:32 PM
Alain swiftly and silently keeps pace with Adalind standing to her right and giving the goblins a tight, menacing smile.

Moving 120ft up to Y-29

Steckie
2013-01-28, 02:54 PM
Adalind

Adalind starts running faster and faster, she can fight again! She is more than ready. She even forgets her surroundings and the formation she was fighting in. Had anybody else broke formation while she saw it, she would have yelled at him. Once she realises what she has done she will probably be mad at herself.
But for now she just runs towards the closest enemy, charges him and bashes her shield against him, aiming the pike that adorns the shield at a place where it will definatly hurt.
"Gods, i've missed this!" She yells out while feeling the pressure of another body slamming into hers and pushing some of the air out of her lungs. And then comes the familiar feeling of an opponent struggling for his life.

Charging at W37 and doing a shield bash.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

First time i ever used charge, i hope i did it right.

HP 78/78, AC 23

Sabishii
2013-01-28, 03:29 PM
Valentyne
Without waiting to confirm his hits, regardless of lethality, Valentyne runs forward drawing an arrow and nocking it in one smooth practiced movement. Lining up his shot he releases the bowstring and with a whistle the arrow flies towards its target. He calls back to his would-be archers, "Move into range, line up your shot and take it. Don't worry about hitting the goblins; just worry about getting those arrows into the air and not into our men." He flashes a toothy grin as he turns back to face the battle once more.

Move: Y3 to Z7
Attack AA40: (1d20+8)[9](17)
Damage: (1d8+12)[6](18)
Note: Deadly Aim (-2 Att, +4 Dmg), 165ft range (-2 Att), Favored Enemy Goblinoid (+4 Att, +4 Dmg) = +0 Att, +8 Dmg

thechosen2nd
2013-01-28, 05:25 PM
Adalind's valiant charge is unsuccessful, as her shield glances off of the goblin's shield raised in defense.

Meanwhile, Valentyne's bow finds another victim, sending another arrow straight through a goblins skull, leaving the goblin staggering a moment before collapsing, dead.

Your less skilled allies each take a shot, though none find their mark. One arrow lodges into the roof of the wagon, while the other two fly just over the heads of two very lucky goblins.

As Alain, Marion, and the 7 guards charge forward, the goblins have for the most part taken their attention off of the wagon, and are now more preoccupied with the fresh meat in front of them. A number of javelins, short spears, and other projectiles come flying towards your party, and a few of the guards grunt with pain as the goblins find their marks.
3 guards take 4, 1, and 4 damage, from left to right, respectively.

Meanwhile, two goblins charge to the aid of the one attacked by Adalind, recklessly throwing themselves at their assailant. However, none of the three are able to score a hit through Adalind's impenetrable defense, each blow glancing off her sturdy armor.

More goblins haphazardly charge the line, assaulting the guards with all types of primitive weapons. One with a large mace barely misses a guard's head, while another scores a hit with a club, resulting in a great *clang* as he leaves a dent in the guard's helm.
3rd guard from right takes 2 damage.

As the two sides clash, in the middle of it all the horse and wagon trundle along the road as fast as the poor horse can go. As it rapidly approaches, you can see that the poor beast has gashes all along its flanks, and a javelin is sticking out of its side. It's a wonder it is still on it's feet, let alone moving as quickly as it is. It must be fueled by pure terror, as it charges towards the gate, heedless of anyone in its way (including Alain...)

----

Map updated, go ahead with your next moves!

Sabishii
2013-01-28, 06:56 PM
Valentyne

As he sees the arrows from his comrades narrowly miss their mark, Valentyne shouts back to them encouragement and advice to find their target next volley. With that Valentyne moves to his left mentally tagging his next victims. Reaching back he grabs 2 arrows and in a blink of an eye sends them arcing into the sky, shortly after 2 more arrows follow with different trajectory. He glances over to Serenity who has laid down, assuming the battle will be long done before reaching her. Seeing this makes Valentyne chuckle, an odd sound admist the screams of the goblins as steel rains down upon them.

Move(5' Step): Z7 to AA8
Full Attack:

1st Attack AA31: [roll0]
2nd Attack AD34: [roll2]
3rd Attack AB35: [roll4]

Serenity
Move: Y7 to AB8

Burnheart
2013-01-29, 02:27 AM
Still grimly silent Alain suddenly lunges forward and launches a brutal downward chop into the torso of one of the goblins while strange ephemeral hands claw at the poor creature.

Charge against the Goblin in U-34 leaving Alain in U-33.
Alains attack [roll0]
Alains damage [roll1]
So with the crit damage here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14612841&postcount=61) i think thats a total of 43 damage from Alains first attack in the game :smalltongue:

Spirits attack [roll2]
Spirits damage (Negative energy) [roll3]

Steckie
2013-01-29, 03:07 AM
Adalind

Adalind suddenly realises where she is and that she broke formation in her enthousiasm. Rookie mistake, can't let that happen again. She thinks to herself.
She realises she's being surrounded by several Goblins.
So she moves a few feet away from the goblins in a quick dash while slashing her sword at the one she's passing by, her shield protecting her other flank.

5 foot step to X35
Attacking Goblin at W36: [roll0]

Moranica
2013-01-29, 08:50 AM
Akral finishes his humming, and out of nowhere five small eagles appear.

"Get their archers!", Akral shouts before breaking off in a run towards the horse.

Akral moves 80 feet.

The eagles all charge an archer. (their charge has range 160 ft)

Eagle 1 Talon [roll0]; [roll1] damage
Eagle 2 Talon [roll2]; [roll3] damage
Eagle 3 Talon [roll4]; [roll5] damage
Eagle 4 Talon [roll6]; [roll7] damage
Eagle 5 Talon [roll8]; [roll9] damage
In case of crit. confirm [roll10]; [roll11] damage

thechosen2nd
2013-01-29, 01:41 PM
Valentyne's first two arrows miss their marks, but the third lodges itself firmly in the helmet of a goblin who was preparing to throw another javelin, and the goblin drops like a rock.

Your advice helps the one woman with archery experience, who manages to land a hit on on of the goblins. The other two however still fail to find their marks.

Y39 takes 2 damage.

Alain finally gets his first taste of the battle, charging straight at a goblin and slashing down with such force that the goblin is sliced evenly in two. Marion and the guards also spring into action, slashing at the nearest goblins with their longswords.

Marion and three of the guards score hits, one goblin down, two more injured. See the map.

Adalind, meanwhile, begins slashing her way back towards the rest of the group, leaving a gaping wound in a goblin's chest on her way.

Akral finishes his chanting and five beautiful eagles appear, charging suddenly forward towards the goblins, slashing with their Talons. Two of the eagles find their marks, each leaving a goblin covered in scratches.

The goblins respond to all of this action with vigor, particularly to the sudden appearance of eagles on the battlefield. Something about those eagles really sets them off. The goblins slash ferociously at their nearest targets, though few find their marks.

Eagle 1 takes 1 damage, Eagle 5 takes 6 damage, Marion takes 3 damage, a guard takes a 2 damage

One goblin, on the other hand, either due to cowardice or an uncharacteristic competence at math, seems to have realized that they are now outnumbered, and begins to flee.

Map is all updated, go ahead with your next moves!

Steckie
2013-01-29, 02:52 PM
Adalind

Adalind, not pleased that her sword strike didn't kill the Goblin, quickly changes tactics. She bends her knees a bit and suddenly pushes her whole body upwards, aiming the pike on her shield upwards into the Goblin in front of her. After her bash upwards, she uses the momentum to smash the underside of her shield into the Goblins face.

Attacking W36
Attack1 (piercing): [roll0]

Attack2 (bashing): [roll2]

Sabishii
2013-01-29, 03:00 PM
Valentyne

In between his shots Valentyne tracks the arrows of his underlings and turning back with an approving nod and wink he says to the woman "Nice shot." Turning back to the field he uses his uncanny vision and spots one of the goblins sneaking away. Shaking his head he draws two arrows from his quiver and with a single strong pull on his bowstring sends them barreling towards the goblins chest. With that done he surveys the field trying to find a suitable target, however he finds none too ideal and thus chooses to aid fire at the goblins attacking Marion. As the arrows fly through air seeking their marks like agitated bees, Valentyne calls back "That's enough. It's too dangerous to fire now that the two sides have met. Retreat to the keep and know that you've done this town a great service today."

Move(5' Step): AA8 to AA9
Full Attack:

1st Attack X52: [roll0]
2nd Attack Z34: [roll2]-4[20]
3rd Attack Y35: [roll4]-4[16]

Burnheart
2013-01-29, 03:20 PM
Grinning wildly Alain dashes forward through the bloody remains of his first victim then darts left, flanking the group of Goblins facing Adalind as he swings Tho'las in a vicious arc against another of the vile creatures standing before him.

Move to V-37 which provokes an Oppertunity attack from V-35 and attacking W-37.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Spirits attack [roll2]
Spirits damage [roll3]

Moranica
2013-01-29, 04:37 PM
The goblin's furious slashing causes eagle feathers to fly all around. Most manage to get away, expect one, which gets hit in the wing and crashes to the ground. Before it hits though, it dissapears.

As the horse nears, Akral steps up and changes some of his stored up spell energy into healing. Holding no weapon, he slowly touches the horse and heals it for [roll0].

The eagles gather themselves after the goblin's attack and now dive in with talons and beaks forward.

Akral fizzles stone shape.

Eagle 1
Talon 1 [roll1]; [roll2]
Talon 2 [roll3]; [roll4]
Beak [roll5]; [roll6]

Eagle 2
Talon 1 [roll7]; [roll8]
Talon 2 [roll9]; [roll10]
Beak [roll11]; [roll12]

Eagle 3
Talon 1 [roll13]; [roll14]
Talon 2 [roll15]; [roll16]
Beak [roll17]; [roll18]

Eagle 4
Talon 1 [roll19]; [roll20]
Talon 2 [roll21]; [roll22]
Beak [roll23]; [roll24]

Confirms if needed.
[roll25]; [roll26]
[roll27]; [roll28]
[roll29]; [roll30]

thechosen2nd
2013-01-30, 12:10 PM
Adalind ferociously stabs into the goblin in front her her with her shield's spikes, instantly bringing down the injured beast. She then pivots to her right, continuing the momentum of her attack to bring the edge of her shield into the side of another goblin, brutally crushing the creature which had been distracted by the eagle attacking it.

since you are normally allowed to choose the targets of full round attacks until after earlier ones are resolved, I went ahead and changed the target of your second attack.

Valentyne continues his massacre, neatly bringing another goblin, and barely missing two more with his deadly bow.

I've realized I haven't been counting soft cover... oops. All of those goblins have +4 AC against you.

Alain presses forward, slaying another goblin with his enormous sword, cutting clear through the the creature like a hot knife through butter.

Good thing you let Adalind go first- no AoO!

The eagles also continue their assault in a flurry of feathers, leaving one goblin gushing blood, and another two screaming in agony from scratches all over their green hides.

Meanwhile, Marion manages to slay his first goblin of the day, and the other guards bring down another. The horse continues its mad dash towards the gate with a bit more life in it's step, although it is still clearly terrified, exhausted, and badly injured. At least now it seems a bit more likely that it might survive this ordeal.

The one goblin smart enough to flee continues to do so, and in fact two others begin to realize just how screwed they are, and turn tail as well. The rest however are too focused on stabbing things to notice how thoroughly outnumbered they are, and continue their futile attacks.

One goblin swings wildly at an eagle before collapsing unconscious. Two more attack the eagles that had just clawed at them, but both come up empty. The last remaining goblin stabs violently at one of the guards and scores a direct hit, leaving the guard clutching his side.

-----

Okay, your turn!

Moranica
2013-01-30, 01:52 PM
Akral advances further, but as the fight seems to draw to a close, he realises there's not much he can do now. He waits and will offer his healing to anyone injured.

He does shout:"Take one of them alive!!"

The eagles are far from done though. The two who's enemy has gone done, launch after the two that ran off.

Eagle 1 [roll0]; [roll1]
Eagle 2 [roll2]; [roll3]

While the other two continue their assault on their opponents.

Eagle 3
Beak [roll4]; [roll5]
Talon [roll6]; [roll7]
Talon [roll8]; [roll9]

Eagle 4
Beak [roll10]; [roll11]
Talon [roll12]; [roll13]
Talon [roll14]; [roll15]

Burnheart
2013-01-30, 02:08 PM
Turning Alain spots the two fleeing Goblins and races off after them.

Run action to move to Z-58

Steckie
2013-01-30, 02:22 PM
Adalind

Adalind quickly examines the battlefield. Akral is right, the battle has been won and they need prisoners. They need information.
She quickly charges one of the Goblins distracted by the eagles and tries to knock him unconscious with her shield. She bashes him with the side of the shield, aiming the pike away from his body. If needed she will smash him twice. Once he's down, she will kick away his weapon and guard him from the eagles until the others catch up.

Charging AA36 and doing nonlethal damage.
Attack1: [roll0]

Attack2: [roll2]

Sabishii
2013-01-30, 02:32 PM
Valentyne

Not sure whether Akral would be heard or headed by the other combatants, Valentyne takes the old dwarf's advice and moves to line up a shot. He carefully aims at the leg of the closer of the two fleeing goblins and with a quick silent prayer of luck release the arrow.

Move: AA9 to AB10
Called Shot (Leg): 1d20+12-4-2 = [roll0]

If needed:
Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

If Valentyne deals more than half the goblins HP, it will need to make a DC check equal to its AC. Failing that the leg is severed and the goblin is knocked prone. Otherwise the goblin reduces its land speed by 10ft (cannot go lower than 5ft) which lasts for [roll4] rounds.

thechosen2nd
2013-01-30, 04:49 PM
Akral's eagles continue to claw at goblins, two speedily chasing down the fleeing pair and harrying them as they scream in anguish.

Alain also takes chase after the escaping goblins, quickly sprinting ahead of the two closest ones to prevent their escape. The furthest goblin is quite a ways ahead of you, and as rapidly approaching a copse of trees to the south. You realize that no matter how fast you run, you won't be able to catch the little villain before it reaches the woods, which will give it a significant advantage...

I hope you didn't just choose Z58 because it's the edge of the map... I can expand it if you want...

Meanwhile, Adalind throws herself at the nearest goblin trying to bring him down alive. She tries too hard however, and underestimates the goblin, who cackles as he dodges under her blow.

You only get 1 attack with a charge :smallfrown:

Valentyne takes his best shot at one of the fleeing goblins, but his shot falls just short of his mark, burying into the dirt at the goblins foot.

Marion, seeing that things are pretty much taken care off, strides back toward the gate, calling out to the guard in the barbican:

"Open it up! Let that poor damned horse in!"

The gate quickly opens up, and the wagon and horse go barreling in without hesitation, with your volunteer archers right behind.

The guards that had charged the field with you finally manage to bring down the trickly little goblin they had been battling, and look around the field, heaving with exertion.

Finally, the two goblins left, thus far too stupid to run for their lives, continue their streak of exceptional idiocy, and attack their nearest targets yet again. One goblin tries to slip his blade beneath Adalind's guard, but only manages to cut the air. The other goblin has more luck, striking the eagle in front of him in the wing, and sending up a flurry of feathers.

Eagle 4 takes 3 damage.

--------

Next round!!

Steckie
2013-01-31, 04:03 AM
Adalind

Adalind triest to look more threatening and yells at the the goblin in his native tongue.
Goblin:
Throw down your damn weapon and surrender or i'll beat you into surrendering! You may have dodged me while i was running, but that wont happen again.

If he doesn't surrender Adalind will try to knock him unconscious again.
She again bashes him with her shield, aiming her blows at his head.

Intimidate to get AA36 to surrender: [roll0]

If that doesn't do it, nonlethal damage again to knock him down.
Attack1: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Attack1: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Burnheart
2013-01-31, 07:23 AM
Bloodlust and berzerk fury still strong Alain lauches himself back into the fray with a brutal blow aimed at one of the Goblins distracted by Akral's eagles.

Charge against Y-49, Alain is at Z-50

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Spirits attack [roll2]
Spirits damage [roll3]

Sabishii
2013-01-31, 04:53 PM
Valentyne

Valentyne scowls at his recent misses berating himself for minor mistakes, forgetting to account for the wind, aiming just a degree too high. He looks over the battlefield acknowledging the surrendering goblin near Adalind and sees Alain routing the fleeing goblins. Valentyne moves to the left planning his shot. He steadies himself with a deep breath and then almost instantaneously fires 4 arrows high into the sky careening in precise arcs towards his target.

Move (5' Step): AB10 to AC 11
Full Attack:

1st Attack AC49: [roll0]
2nd Attack AC49: [roll2]
3rd Attack AC49: [roll4]

If needed:
Crit Confirm: [roll6] (+4/+4/-1)
Crit Damage: [roll7]

Moranica
2013-02-01, 06:06 PM
Akral just waits for the battle to end, he knows it won't be long.

The eagles on the other hand, go at it once again.

Eagle 1
Beak [roll0]; [roll1]
Talon [roll2]; [roll3]
Talon [roll4]; [roll5]
Eagle 2
Beak [roll6]; [roll7]
Talon [roll8]; [roll9]
Talon [roll10]; [roll11]
Eagle 3
Beak [roll12]; [roll13]
Talon [roll14]; [roll15]
Talon [roll16]; [roll17]
Eagle 4
Beak [roll18]; [roll19]
Talon [roll20]; [roll21]
Talon [roll22]; [roll23]

thechosen2nd
2013-02-03, 12:59 PM
Adalind's threatening words stop the goblin in his tracks- it drops its weapon and stands completely still, paralyzed with fear.

Meanwhile, Alain chops down yet another goblin, and Valentyne slays another with his arrows. The eagles bring down the last goblin around, leaving only the one terrified goblin under Adalind's influence.

Combat is over.

Steckie
2013-02-03, 02:50 PM
Adalind

Adalind lowers her sword and shield a bit but still remains cautious of the Goblin that surrendered.
She calls out to two of the guards. "Hey, you two! Take this Goblin into town with you and stick him in a prison or broomcloset or whatever you have from where he can't escape. Then stay there and guard him, we need to ask him some questions."
Once they take away the Goblin she relaxes a bit more and starts to study the battlefield a bit more.

They did alright, nobody died or got injured. They killed 16 and captured one. But there's still more work to be done. So she calls over the five remaining guards. "Hey you lot! Give us a bit of help and start searching the bodies. We need to collect their weapons and armor because we're going to need to arm ourselves. And there may be other clues on their bodies as to where they came from or why they came here.
Grab their bodies and drag them to the side of the road, we'll search them here." Adalind grabs a dead Goblin and drags him to the side of the road. She will search his body. She will then wait for the guards to drag more bodies to her and keep on searching the bodies.
She will make a stack with weapons, a stack with armor and a stack for miscellaneous items.

Burnheart
2013-02-03, 03:15 PM
Shake off his rage Alain carefully cleans the blood off Tho'las before sheathing the ancient blade and moving to help the guards with the goblins corpses.

"A great victory friends" he loudly declares with a huge grin while he works "We shall have to celabrate at the Jolly Dragon later"

Sabishii
2013-02-03, 05:32 PM
Valentyne

With the last goblin dead, Valentyne sheaths his bow. He bows his head and murmurs a quick, quiet prayer to Gozreh, something he does after every hunt. Listening to Adalind's commands, Valentyne nods and says "I will go with the guards and watch the prisoner. He'll have a much harder time escaping my eye thought that should only matter if he can outrun my girl." He grins at Serenity and then motions with his head for her to follow as he walks with the two guards escorting the goblin.

Moranica
2013-02-04, 04:24 PM
Akral just stands there, surveying the group and thinking for a bit.

That went rather well. There were a lot of 'm, those pesky goblins. But we beat them back hard. It doesn't seem like anyone was in any real danger. A few superficial cuts, nothing else. .... Yes, if trouble is coming, this might be a good group to help out with. We might just pull it off.

Next Akral turns on his heels and starts walking back to the gate. His heavy eyebrows speaking of thunder. He goes looking for Haleth.

thechosen2nd
2013-02-04, 11:06 PM
The two guards Adalind addressed prod the goblin along at sword point, leading him into the town. Marion is already on his way though the gate, and one of the guards that had been guarding the gate provides some thick rope to bind the goblins hands.

The other guards begin scavenging the battlefield, confirming that all of the goblins are dead by methodically stabbing each one in the heart. They collect the swords, clubs, shields, and other various weapons and arms scattering the battlefield. One guard holds up a small rounded wooden shield at arms length with an expression of disgust; the goblin's detached small green hand is still grasping the handle. He turns to the guard next to him:

"I don't really see the point in this... these weapons and arms are made for goblins... the quality is terrible, and they're too small for the likes of us to use. I'd just as soon charge into battle naked."

"Don't be ridiculous. At the very least we can put the materials to use in forging weapons for ourselves. And besides, I'm sure there are some halflings and gnomes around town who could put these arms to good use. and they don't have to know they were made by goblins."

"Eh, point taken. I still think it's gross though."

thechosen2nd
2013-02-05, 01:07 AM
BACK IN TOWN

Returning through the gates, you see that the main courtyard at the entrance is still a scene of pandemonium, although the guards have managed to keep the commoners relatively out of the way, and most of the crowd has dispersed.

The main source of pandemonium now is the horse drawn wagon. The beast is still in a state of absolute panic, and although it is grievously injured, it wont let anyone approach it, as it turns left and right, eyes wide with terror, seeking escape from the creatures surrounding it.

Two stable-boys are cautiously trying to calm the horse, or at least detach it from the wagon, although every time they approach the horse shies away and whinnies.

At the edge of the crowd you find Haleth and Ben. Ben is composed, but Haleth looks overwhelmed and concerned, as they discuss matters with one of the guards.

Haleth is visibly relieved as he sees the four of you re-enter the town walls. He addresses you all in a hurried tone.
"Thank gods. We've been informed of the basics, and you can fill us in on more of the details later, but for now I suggest we prioritize our next steps. Ben and I agree that assessing the quality of the walls is a top priority, and the two of us as well as Marion will set out doing so just as soon as Marion is available. As for you all, I have compiled a list of other concerns that Ben and I consider of great importance. Look it over, and see what you think. Of course, there will surely be items you wish to add, this is merely a starting point. However, it would be ideal if we could get as many items on the list taken care of as soon as possible. Again, at this point, prioritization is paramount."

"If there is anything on the list you think you could cover this afternoon, by all means go ahead. With that said, surely you are all exhausted, and I would urge you all spend the rest of the day recovering your energy. I think you have sufficiently demonstrated your usefulness today in the heat of battle, and I dread to consider the fate of Birchdale should any of you push yourselves too hard, and...well...just... do be careful, okay?"

Haleth clears his throat and recomposes himself, and then gestures to his scribe, who stumbles forward and hands you a scroll, with a hastily written checklist on it. He and Ben then hurry off to find Marion, with the scribe hustling along behind them.

I'll give you more information about this scroll in the OOC thread. for now, here it is.

Haleth's List (https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Z-gUXFYmKRA9-F6_k_yw6M7a_B8SQjnzqAsQupZhJU/edit?usp=sharing)

Burnheart
2013-02-05, 06:10 AM
After looking over the list Alain turns to the others

"Checking the nearby villiages and scouting for the enemy sounds like a task for me, i'm faster than any of you and harder to find when i'm taking care not to be seen"

Steckie
2013-02-05, 02:07 PM
Adalind

"I agree Alain, but you shouldn't go trudging through the woods alone.
I think we should do as much of this list as possible, so why don't we use this afternoon to do some simpler things and delegate the rest.
We can search for a courier to send word to Rosehaven, one of us can do that or we can get Haleth to do it. And we can question our prisoner for information. I speak Goblin, so i'm probably best suited for that. Marion can increase the guard alert level.
Investigating the wall quality is probably better suited for some of the skilled craftsmen in town. We can get Haleth to find a few and set them to work.

After that we get a good night's sleep and the four of us can head out to check on those villages together. Alain and Valentyne could go around those villages, see if there's any danger or Goblin tracks. And Akral and me can perhaps do some recruiting in those villages. I don't know if those people are willing to join, but we can try."

Sabishii
2013-02-06, 02:12 PM
Valentyne

Seeing the stable hands struggle with the horse, Valentyne steps up to it slowly, shushing it at it softly. As he pets it's snout it starts to calm down and he fishes an apple from his pack as a treat. "Good boy" he says smiling, stroking the horse soothingly. All the while he was listening to the conversations around him.

"I agree with Adalind. Going alone is not the smartest idea, Alain. Though I do not doubt your strength, even giants fall at the hands of the masses. I am no commander so if you need me I will be at my house. Send your archers there. I will teach them a thing or two."

With that he pets the horse one last time whispering for it to behave now and turns walking away with Serenity faithfully behind him.

[roll0]

thechosen2nd
2013-02-07, 03:35 PM
The stableboys look on in awe as Valentyne calms the horse that would not let them approach.

Valentyne is home now.

By the way, you have about 4 hours until dark, and about 16 hours until the next sunrise. (Think of it as 16:00 now, and night is from 20:00 to 08:00.) In case there's anything you want to do.

Steckie
2013-02-07, 04:02 PM
Adalind

"Let's just think about it for a while, i'm going to go question that Goblin we captured. We can decide in the morning. But first, i'm going to take a look at that wagon."
Adalind heads over to the wagon, if needed she'll help the stable boys calm down the horse.
If the horse is already calm she'll approach the wagon and look inside.
"Hey there! What happened out there? We need as much information as we can about this attack, i was hoping you could tell us something."

Handle Animal, if needed: [roll0]

thechosen2nd
2013-02-08, 12:49 AM
All you find at the wagon's covered driver's seat is a man, leaned over to one side, with a javelin sticking out of his side. He isn't moving.

(Assuming you bother to check his pulse: yeah, he's dead.)

Sabishii
2013-02-08, 09:15 AM
Valentyne

Once he is home Valentyne removes his armor, weapons, and backpack. He prepares a simple meal for himself and Serenity. After eating he performs maintenance on his gear, sharpening his sword, oiling his bow and armor, playing with Serenity, etc. With that all finished, Valentyne blows out all the candles in his house and lays down to sleep. In the morning he will seek out the others and discuss their next course of action.

Steckie
2013-02-08, 01:09 PM
Adalind

"Dead. Just as i feared." Adalind lifts the head of the driver a bit and takes a good look at him. She doesn't know him, didn't think she'd know him, but it's still nice to know. She hopes it's not the first victim in a long war.
She walks away from the wagon and lets Haleth handle whatever that dead rider is all about.

She takes a little walk to clear her head. She's not really in the mood to go question the Goblin they captured. She doesn't want to see it's ugly head or hear it talk. She is absolutely not in the mood for this crap.
Instead she heads over to her business. She walks over to one of the boats at the dock. She jumps down on the 'Hildagard' to talk to captain Evert Eightfinger. "Evert, i need to ask you something. There's been a Goblin attack on town. Well, on a wagon heading to town. And since there have already been rumors flying around about Goblins uniting and planning raids we've been asked to help increase the defenses of this town.
And we've also been asked to send somebody to Rosehaven to tell them about what happened here and possibly ask for help.
I'd like to send you on the Hildagard, if you're up for it. It might be dangerous. We don't know what's out there, so there might be other attacks. But somebody is going to have to go and you're probably a lot safer by the river.

And you know, you could take a cargo back to the capital and trade it for weapons and other supplies we might need. Haleth could probably give you a list."

Evert Eightfinger is one of Adalinds employees, he's the captain of one of her boats.
She wants to send him to Rosehaven, but can't really force him.
So i'll put a diplomacy check here if it's needed. [roll0]

Moranica
2013-02-08, 04:39 PM
As Akral follows Haleth around, helping him check the wall, he realises he himself wasn't quite prepared when the attack happened.

Guess, I better put on my stoneplate when I get home. Lugging it around won't be any fun, but getting hit by a stray arrow isn't either. I'll put it on first thing tomorrow.

He keeps up his inspection of the wall, remembering how much of his wood and stone shaping talents are needed. When all is done or the sun has gone to much to continue, he heads home for the night.

We better get together first thing in the morning, distributing tasks and making plans.

Burnheart
2013-02-08, 07:22 PM
After the others leave to pursue their own interests Alain decides to visit the Jolly Dragon for a drink. Upon arriving he buys a round for the whole taproom and declares

"A toast to the brave men and women who were the first to take up arms and fight for Birchdale against the goblin menace"

before knocking back his mug of ale in one gulp. Alain spends the rest of the evening leading as many of his fellow patrons as he can in a series of heroic songs and ballads before stumbling home for the night.

Perform sing [roll0]

What Alains trying to do his raise the peoples spirits and give them a more hopefully look at the situation, now they know there is a situation to worry about :smalltongue:

thechosen2nd
2013-02-09, 04:08 AM
You all get a good night's rest, and wake up the next morning feeling energized.

------

Status Report
Day 138 of the 1034th year of the Agrelian Union

DAY 2
Weather: sunny & calm
Current population: 1,939
Town guard strength: 20
Available defense budget: 5,000 gp
Town morale: slightly concerned
News: Wild rumors are spreading about the ferocity and numbers of goblins involved, but other rumors are also to be heard about the valorous deeds of the Defense Committee and Town Watch. It seems the public is reasonably frightened about the future, but they seem to be holding faith and trust in the leaders they have elected.

-----

You all rise bright and early, and gather again in the same room as before on the second floor of the town hall. Haleth, Marion, and Ben are all there as well, and so you begin the second meeting of the Birchdale Martial Defense Committee.

Haleth first covers the news about the findings in regards to the current state of the walls:

"Overall, the walls are in better condition that we could have hoped. Only some minor rotting has occurred in a few areas, and there are no major holes throughout the entire circumference. However, there are a number of definite weak points which we have highlighted on the map. My main focus for today will be pulling together all able-bodied masons and construction-workers around town and trying to reinforce these weak points.

Also, Marion brought up some concerns regarding the height of the wall. Clearly our 15 foot beams are sufficient for deterring wild beasts and outlaws, but our wall is scarcely better than a line of twigs in the sand before a well equipped hobgoblin horde. We must consider the threat of a long-term siege; our enemies may come at us with fire, ladders, catapults, and other wicked machines of war. We must seriously weigh the feasibility of increasing the height of our wall, and the consideration of alternative building materials, namely stone. Ben has volunteered to meet with the foreman of the Birchdale mining operation, and to report back on the availability and practicality of using stone to improve our defenses. In the meantime, we will work to repair and strengthen what we have with the lumber readily available to us."

Next, Marion goes over changes made in regards to the town watch:

"I've raised the town watch level of alert to a code orange. That means we've increased the number of on-duty watchmen twofold- at all times there will be 8 guards at the gate, as well as 12 on backup in the barracks. We've made plans to set up a recruitment station in the main square this afternoon, hiring volunteers to take on 8-hour shifts twice a week to serve as militia, in case of attack. If we really want to increase our available militia though, we'll need to increase our barracks size. Can't fit more than 40 people in the space we've got now, and that's with people packed in like sardines in a barrel. If having a lot of soldiers close by is going to be a necessity, building at least some temporary sleeping quarters should be a top priority. We will also need to look into providing weapons and armor for any fresh recruits we get."

"I still doubt the rumors are true, but I'll admit it: Haleth is right. We need to prepare for the worst. And that means all out war."

Adalind's employee, Evert Eightfinger steps forward as well to share his news:
"First, I just want to say that it's an honor to be personally chosen by the Martial Defense Committee to carry out such an important task. Miss Adalind requested that I relay a message about what's happened to Rosehaven using one of the company ships. I've been sailing up and down the slimwood river since just about as long as I could walk, but never with such important intentions such as this. You can bet your left leg I'll protect that message with my life, and I'll get word to Rosehaven through hell or high water, or my name ain't Evert Eightfinger.

The trip downstream rarely takes more than two days of travel, but it will be about a week before I'll be back, depending on the weather. Keep ol' Birchdale safe for me while I'm gone."

Evert takes an official looking missive from Haleth's scribe, and after a parting bow, walks out of the room.

Add/discuss anything you want. Or, just call the meeting adjourned and go about doing whatever it is you plan on doing today.

Burnheart
2013-02-09, 07:39 AM
"Adalind you were pretty good at getting those people to fight yesterday and giving them orders, maybe you should handle this new militia?"

Alain suggests with a serious expression before continuing "I shall be leaving today to contact the nearby villiages and do a bit of scouting around for signs of the horde, anyone else going to come along?"

Steckie
2013-02-09, 08:25 AM
Adalind

"You should take at least one person with you, Alain. I'd go myself, but you're right that i'm best suited to handle the militia.
And while you're checking the nearby villages, try to get some recruits or supplies from them. We should be able to protect them if we can protect ourselves long enough.

But before you go, why don't the four of us question the Goblin we captured?
We can perhaps get some valuable information from it. Who knows what you might run into if you just head out without any knowledge.
We can spend two hours maximum questioning him, if we don't get anything usefull you can just head out and you wouldn't have wasted much daylight.

Marion, i'd like you to set up a recruitment station in the center of the town. I'll make sure i get there after i question the Goblin. I can help you to recruit as much people as possible. And i'll start training them tomorrow.
And you're right, we should increase our barracks size. But i think the walls are a priority at the moment, we'll see how much work Haleth and his crew can get done today. If they've made good progress by tomorrow we can take a few people from his masons and start working on those barracks.

Haleth, how much horses, handweapons, bows, armor and shields do we have in stock? And can we make more of those quickly if we need to?"

Adalind thinks she's mentioned most of the points she was thinking about. She's glad Evert Eightfinger is going to be the courier, it's good to have employees you can count on.
Now there is one thing left to talk about. She's not sure how the others will react, but she is sure it's going to help them.
"One more thing i was to talk about. I'd like to take the dead Goblins, decapitate them and put their head on a pike and put that either on the side of the road or in front of the wall. It may not be a pretty sight, but it might scare them a bit if they attack again."

Sabishii
2013-02-09, 10:17 AM
Valentyne

Valentyne grimaces at Adalind's last comment. He knows it's war and normal circumstances have flown at the window, but he's never had a strong stomach for desecration. He believes it's a slight against Gozreh.

"I will go with you, Alain. I think my bow and tracking abilities will come in quite handily. I understand your point of attempting to recruit these people Adalind, but perhaps it's best to move them here. Defending two places is harder than defending one. Regardless first we must contact them. As for your last comment, I understand the reasoning, but I can not partake in the activity. I'm sure it sends the right message to the goblins, but perhaps not the right message to our people. Heads on pikes isn't exactly great for PR."

Burnheart
2013-02-09, 11:11 AM
"I would be pleased to have you with me Valentyne" Alain says while moving to stand beside Valentyne

"Not while you're wearing this though" he continues after tapping Valentynes breastplate and cause a metalic ring to echo through the room

"It slows you down and makes too much noise when you're trying to move without being noticed" he suddenly grins wolfishly

"While i'd be pleased to ambush any patrols we come across, that might help us if it makes them cautiously slow the advance of their main force, we could easily run into a group too large for us to cut down on our own where wearing that becomes a dangerous liability"

I'm bringing this up because while wearing that breastplate Valentynes speed is 20ft and stealth skill +5 while Alains is 40ft and +10 stealth, quite a difference not to mention that goblins have a 30ft base speed...

Moranica
2013-02-09, 06:17 PM
Akral listens to all proposals and sits quietly for a moment.

Good, good. No signs of fear, just focus and preparedness. These are a good lot these.

"Your visits to villages close by sounds like a good plan. But we'll need the scouting more then just this one trip. And I'd like to have you nearby for any forrays or special assignments. May I suggest you bring along two or three of the guards or maybe hunters? You can teach them some of your skills on the road, so they may do this job in the near future. At least teach them how to funciton as forward scout posts."

"As for the walls, I agree with Haleth. It could have been a lot worse. These masons of yours still have to prove their worth though. I know they're not dwarves and they may not be used to defensive building, so I'll take charge of them. Show them how it's done and how to build stuff that withstands catapults if needed. That also means we need good quality stones, so don't be cheap about it, Ben!"

"And finally, I have one more question. How are our weapon and armor supplies? Arrows and siege weaponry and such? We need to give these new recruits something to work with. And I doubt I have time to give them all full plates", Akral smiles grimly.

thechosen2nd
2013-02-09, 07:59 PM
Marion chimes in:

"We haven't any guards to spare for such a scouting party... I have every last man on duty for more than their contracted hours as it is. Besides, there are less dangerous ways to train scouts then sending them out behind enemy lines all of a sudden. At least a few training exercises are necessary before sending fresh recruits into the field. Surely Miss Adalind knows that best of all."

"And in answer to your question, the stronghold armory is well stocked...but small. We have all the supplies necessary for 50 guards, which just a week ago seemed excessive. Now though, it seems pretty pitiful. My real concern is that we haven't even got a smithy in the stronghold. Every time we need to fix a suit of armor or forge a new blade we have to take out a contract with a local blacksmith. If we could built our own smithy, it would greatly increase our efficiency."

"In terms of siege weaponry... This stronghold was built to defend against bandits, not battalions. We have nothing of the sort. Sounds like another task you would seem well fit to lead, Master Akral."

Haleth sighs.

"Well, it certainly seems we have our work cut out for us. Unless anyone has something else to add, I propose we get underway."

Steckie
2013-02-10, 06:27 AM
Adalind

"Too much to do, too little time...." Adalind mumbles as she gets up from her chair. Just like last meeting she's wearing her armor and has her sword and shield ready by her side. She won't be surprised like Akral was last time.
"I'm going to question the Goblin first, if anybody wants to come with me. I speak Goblin so i can translate if needed.
Marion, i'll meet you at the town center once i'm done to get the recruiting started.
Alain. Valentyne. Good luck out there, hope you bring back some good news."

Adalind waves and walks towards the prison where they're keeping the Goblin. She spots one of the guards and walks over to him.
"Hey there buddy, where are you keeping our new prisoner? And in what state is he? I'm going to question him and i don't want him to pass out."

Sabishii
2013-02-10, 11:05 AM
Valentyne

Valentyne laughs at Alain's comment. "Yes, you're right. I have a set of leather armor at my home that I keep for just such an occasion. I'll grab it and meet you by the gate."

He turns to Adalind and says "Interrogation isn't my strong suit. If you're going with her Alain I'll be by the gate in an hour regardless. Probably show them guards a thing or two about shooting a bow." With another laugh Valentyne leaves the room whistling for Serenity who had decided to take a quick cat nap. Meetings weren't her strong suit.

Burnheart
2013-02-10, 12:45 PM
"By the gate in an hour then" Alain says to a departing Valentyne before turning to Adalind

"Lets go see what this goblin has to say for its self shall we?"

He then starts to leave the room heading for the jail when he stops and turns to Akral

"Say does Birchdale have any mithral at hand? Mithral breastplates wouldn't slow us down while we're scouting outside town"

Moranica
2013-02-10, 04:33 PM
"My good man, if they had mithral and wooden walls like this, they'd sure have issues prioritizing." Akral jokes as he shoots an unsure glance at Haleth.

"As for the blacksmith, I'm sure I can convince my old students, masters in their crafts now, to help us out in this dire situation. If you get them the materials, I'll get them to work."

"And finally, I doubt the current gatehouse could support large siege equipment. There is a quick and dirty way to get siege equipment though. ..... Sorcerers ...... They lob fireballs just as good as any machine. They only last a minute or so though, so timing their deployment is everything. Does any of you know any such sorcerers?"

"Good luck on your mission. I hope we'll have something to show you, when you return."

thechosen2nd
2013-02-11, 01:28 AM
Adalind
"Hey there buddy, where are you keeping our new prisoner? And in what state is he? I'm going to question him and i don't want him to pass out."

"The goblin is in the prison. Cell 7. He won't pass out, unless you make him. Surprisingly resilient little bastard. I guess he's just too stubborn and stupid to know when to die."

Haleth responds to Akral's question:

"The nearest magic academy that I am aware of is in Rosehaven. I guess the really powerful mages seem to stick close to bigger cities. There's more money for them there."

And mithral would definitely be a precious commodity. Not something you'll just find lying around in a shop around Birchdale.

Steckie
2013-02-11, 01:35 PM
Adalind

Adalind cracks her neck and her fingers. "Alright, let's have a go at him. You coming, Alain?"
She makes sure her shield and sword can be reached quickly if needed.
Once she's sure everything is as it should be, she walks over to cell 7, opens the door and steps into the room.

Goblin:
Hello Prisoner. I'm the one that captured you. My name is Adalind, this here is Alain. We're going to ask you several questions. You are going to answer them. If you don't answer them we're going to have to hurt you. So please, answer the question because i'd hate to tire myself too much so early in the morning.
Let's get started:

How many Goblins are out there?
Are you planning to attack this city or any other city?
Who is your leader? And who are his direct subordinates?
What was your mission?
Why did you attack the wagon?
Where is your main army located and where are the scouting groups?

Adalind will translate everything she asked the Goblin for Alain so that he can follow the conversation. "Alain, if you can think of anything i forgot just tell me and i'll translate the question."

Burnheart
2013-02-11, 02:37 PM
When Adalind asks if he has any questions for the goblin Alain just shakes his head and reaches over his shoulder, grips Tho'las by the hilt and draws it forth letting it rest point down on the cell floor as he casually sharpens it, making sure to let the sound of the whetstone running along the ancient blade echo throughout the room.

Intimidate check [roll0]

thechosen2nd
2013-02-12, 02:26 AM
The goblin responds with a cackle and a glare.

Goblin:

"Kehehehe! Clever human can speak goblin! But it doesn't matter! Me isn't tellin' you nothin'! Scummy human! Kehehe--aieeek!!"

The goblin squeals in agony and fear as Adalind grabs him by throat and forces him to stare into her frighteningly determined eyes and stern glare. His tune suddenly changes, and he wheezes his surrender in barely understandable common tongue:

"Okay, I'll talk! I'll talk!"

You slam him back down to the floor, where he lays staring up at you and rubbing his throat.

Goblin:

"Me has a hard time counting past twelve, but we's a great many more'n that!" (he begins to grin again, but then looks across at Alain, and shudders in fear.) "okay! hundreds. No... Hundreds a' hundreds? Maybe hundreds a' hundreds a' hundreds! Me doesn't know!" (He sobs for a while, before continuing, as you press him further.)

"Attack the city? Me isn't gonna attack the city! Promise! ...Oh, tha army? Yes, methinks tha Devil King is gonna attack the city. Which city? ...what mean 'which city'? The city. Me no understand."

You can't seem to get much more out of the goblin on this matter. He is confused by what you mean. I rolled a linguistics check for you (in secret), and you are at a loss for why this goblin isn't being specific. Perhaps he is just unusually stupid. Moving on with your interrogation:

"Tha leader be the Devil king acourse. He tells Chief Wikizwart whats to do, and the chief tells us to do it, and we does it. There's lotsa other chiefs though. And there's the hobgoblin captains too, they makes sure all the goblin chiefs is doing what they is supposed to. They makes sure everyone does what they is supposed to do. Except the Devil king. He does whatever he wants."

"Mission? No mission. Didn't care about the wagon. We saws the horse and wanted to stab it. But stupid horse was fast. Had to chase it far away....(stupid horse. Me hopes it's dead.)"

The goblin almost looks like he's considering resisting answering your last question, but as he looks between his two interrogators with fright, he sighs, shrugs, and looks down shamefully as he complies.

"We's be back along the road, maybe a mile thata way" (he points to the east) but we is only a small part. Me isn't sure about the main army. They's more east, methinks."

Adalind would surely know that in hobgoblin culture, goblins are basically treated as slaves, only with slightly preferential treatment over other humanoids. It would be ridiculous to expect that this pathetic specimen would know anything about the movements of any other units in the army other than his. All he knows is to do as he's told. At least you can assume that the entire army isn't moving as one enormous camp. Or if it is, this one unit of goblins is somehow separate from the rest.

Steckie
2013-02-12, 01:04 PM
Adalind

Adalind first makes sure she translates all the Goblin's answers for Alain. She also tells him all the other insights she got during the talk.
"So there's a camp of Goblins about a mile east of here. That sounds like it could be dangerous to the city. I'll ask for more information and i'll try to get troop numbers out of him, but i think we're going to need to do a preemptive strike. It's either attack them or face another attack on the city."

Goblin:
Very good prisoner. I am glad you decided to cooperate.
But i have more questions, mostly about the camp you're talking about.

How many of you are at the camp? And i know you can't count more than twelve. So is it twelve or a hunderd or more than a hunderd?
How many captains or other officers do you have?
What kind of defenses does the camp have?
Where is the leader of the camp located?
Is there some kind of shelter surrounding the camp?

Adalind will again try to look as threatening as possible. And she will also translate everything she asked so Alain can follow the conversation.

Intimidate again: [roll0]

And i'm also going to roll a knowledge check. Adalind asked the Goblin for the amount of captains or other officers. So Adalind will try to remember how many Goblins serve under 1 captain or anything else. She wants to make a rough estimate of how many Goblins are at the camp.
But i don't really know what kind of knowledge check that is, i think Nobility comes the closest so i'll roll that one: [roll1]

Sabishii
2013-02-12, 01:57 PM
Valentyne

He waves to Alain as he exits as an acknowledgment, then proceeds directly to his house. He changes out his Breastplate for Leather Armor and then heads towards the gatehouse. He tries his best to muster a little archery practice out of the guards and meanwhile mentally goes over everything he knows about goblins.

Diplomacy to make the guards do some archery practice: [roll0]
Knowledge Nature for the goblins: [roll1]
I changed my sheet to reflect my armor change and if you're wondering how I arrived at my roll modifiers don't forget to add in my favored enemy bonuses. +2 against humans +4 against goblins :smallbiggrin:

thechosen2nd
2013-02-12, 11:39 PM
Adalind:

1. It's a culture thing; for goblins, once the counting get's over 12, it just becomes "a lot" to them, and they have a very hard time differentiating, since to them, it doesn't really matter. Thinking is overrated. The best you can get is a ballpark estimate of 100-200 individuals in this particular goblin's camp. As to how accurate of an estimate that is, you have no way of knowing.

2. Look... I hadn't really thought about it, and frankly, this goblin wouldn't have either. It's not like these are hobgoblins with a strictly regimented military. It's just a bunch of little green freaks going around and stabbing stuff because they can. You're over-analyzing things a little bit much.

3. Just a small trench, and guards. Please don't ask me how many. Fine, let's just say 8.

4. He's in the big tent with the bear skull on a steak in front of it.

5. It's in the woods. Other than that, no.

6. Good think you only need 1 intimidate check per each conversation...:smallcool:

7. It might fit into nobility if it were a civilized population we were talking about, but in this case, I would call it history. (It's something a historian would be more likely to know than a noble.) In either case, you have absolutely no idea how goblins organize themselves in war.

Valentyne
Obviously an hour or so of archery training can only go so far, but at the very least the guards seem to have learned a little, and definitely seem to be in higher spirits than they were before you came by.

In terms of recalling info about goblins: quoting from the pfsrd article (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/goblin) "ecology" section. If there's any other general info about them you wanted to know, feel free to ask. With a check like that, you probably know the answer.

Environment temperate forest and plains (usually coastal regions)
Organization: gang (4–9), warband (10–16 with goblin dog mounts), or tribe (17+ plus 100% noncombatants; 1 sergeant of 3rd level per 20 adults; 1 or 2 lieutenants of 4th or 5th level; 1 leader of 6th–8th level; and 10–40 goblin dogs, wolves, or worgs)
Treasure NPC gear (leather armor, light wooden shield, short sword, short bow with 20 arrows, other treasure)

Goblins prefer to dwell in caves, amid large and dense thickets of thistles and brambles, or in structures built and then abandoned by others. Very few goblins have the drive to build structures of their own. Coastlines are favored, as goblins are quite fond of sifting through junk and flotsam in an unending quest to find treasures among the refuse of more civilized races.

Goblin hatred runs deep, and few things inspire their wrath more than gnomes (who have long fought against goblins), horses (who frighten goblins tremendously), and regular dogs (whom goblins regard as pale imitations of goblin dogs).

Goblins are also quite superstitious, and treat magic with a fawning mixture of awe and fear. They have the habit of ascribing magic to the mundane as well, with fire and writing both taking on mystical power in goblin society. Fire is much loved by goblins for its capacity to wreak great destruction and because it doesn't require size or strength to wield, but written words are hated. Goblins believe that writing steals words out of your head, and as a result of this belief, goblins are universally illiterate.

Goblins are voracious and can eat their body weight in food daily without growing fat. Goblin lairs always have numerous storerooms and larders. While they prefer human and gnome flesh, a goblin won't turn down any food—except, perhaps, vegetables.

Steckie
2013-02-13, 01:17 AM
Adalind

Adalind walks out of the prison cell, motioning Alain to follow her. If he follows, she'll lock the door behind her and let out a deep sigh.
"This is bad Alain. I think there's somewhere between 100 and 200 Goblins camping very close to the town. At first i was thinking about attacking them before they can attack us, but we just don't have enough men for that.
Now i think we could perhaps try to kill their leader and leave them disorganised, but i'm just not sure on how to do it. Questioning this Goblin didn't give us enough information.

So here's my proposal: You and Valentyne head out just as we planned. But you don't go checking out the villages, you go scouting to this Goblin camp. Try to study the defenses, and try to see if there's a suitable path that would take us quickly to the thent with the bear skull in front of it. Their leader is in there. If we can kill or capture him, we'll have bought ourselves some time.
And while you two are out there, me and Akral will try to organise things in town.

What do you think?"

Burnheart
2013-02-13, 01:02 PM
"Works for me, i'll go get Valentyne and head out" Alain replies sheathing Tho'las and racing off to the gates.

When Alain arrives he pauses briefly and observes the archery practice that Valentyne is overseeing "Good idea Valentyne" he remarks quietly so only the ranger can hear.

Raising his voice Alain addresses the practicing guards with an approving smile "You are doing well, keep going and the goblins won't stand a chance" his smile widens before continuing "Now Valentyne and I are going scouting for the enemy so we need you to open the gate"

Steckie
2013-02-13, 01:14 PM
Adalind

Adalind smiles, at least he's enthousiastic about all of this.
She walks out of the prison and goes searching for Akral. He needs to know about all this.
Once she finds him, she starts explaining everything she learned from the Goblin, from start to finish.
"............... And then i asked Alain to go scout the camp with Valentyne." She ends her story.

"Now, i promised Marion i'd help him recruit as many people as we can into the guards. Would you like to help me, or do you have some other plans?" She asks the dwarf.

Sabishii
2013-02-13, 03:55 PM
Valentyne

Nodding in agreement to what Alain said, he adds "Yes you all are improving quite nicely. Take a break. You've earned it, but don't let any of the goblins in, eh?" He turns to talk with Alain, but remembers he wanted to say one more thing. "Hey one of you let Akral or Haleth know that murder holes might be a nice addition to our walls." and with that turns back to Alain. "Scouting the enemy? Change of plans, huh? All right where are headed?"

Burnheart
2013-02-13, 04:13 PM
Waiting until they're both down the road and out of hearing range of the guards Alain final replies

"According to that goblin we captured there is a large group of the little vermin camped about a mile east of Birchdale, maybe between 100 to 200 of them though the little idiot didn't seem to understand numbers very well so who know?" Alain shrugs before continuing

"Adalind wants us to scout the camps defenses and see if there's a way to reach a large tent with bear skull staked out infront of it, thats the chiefs tent. She's hoping there's a way for the 4 of us to take down the leader of this mob before they attack Birchdale so i was thinking, if we get a chance we should take him down ourselves before reporting back to the others"

thechosen2nd
2013-02-15, 11:15 AM
Alain and Valentyne sneak into the forest, heading east.

Go ahead and give me stealth, perception, and survival checks.

Steckie
2013-02-15, 01:16 PM
Adalind

Adalind heads to the town center. She promised Marion she'd help him with his recruiting efforts.
Once she gets there, she searches for Marion and immediatly heads over to him. While walking she looks around at the crowd, trying to do a quick count of the people present.
She tries to talk to him in private a bit, making sure the crowd or other guards don't hear her.
"Hey Marion, how's it going here? I have some bad news. We questioned the Goblin and turns out there's about 100-200 of them camped a mile east of here. Alain and Valentyne are heading there now on a scouting mission. We need to start recruiting as many people as we can and start training them immediatly.
Want me to do something here?"

Sabishii
2013-02-16, 01:33 AM
Valentyne

Valentyne nods to what Alain is saying. "All right sounds easy enough. Let's get to it."

As they walk along Valentyne scans the ground and scenery for any signs of goblin activity. Since the distance is so great Valentyne tries to strike up a conversation with the young half-elf. "What clan do you come from?" He askes immediately recognizing the tribal tattoos for what they are.

Valentyne
Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]
Serenity
Stealth: [roll3]
Perception: [roll4]
Survival: [roll5]

I didn't add my favored enemy bonus since the rolls seemed quite generic. They do apply though if the checks against the Goblins so that'd be a +4 to perception and survival. I also assumed I was tracking so I added a +3 to my survival roll due to Track (Ex).

Burnheart
2013-02-16, 04:11 PM
"Why the Kalasath'yth of course" Alain replies with a big grin "Thats why my name is Alain Kalasath'yth"

"The Kalasath'yth are a mighty tribe that dwell in the great plains far too the west, or so my mother always said"

Sabishii
2013-02-19, 01:00 PM
Valentyne

Kalasath'yth, huh?" Valentyne returns. "I think I've heard a tale or two of them. Proud people, though most elves are. Fierce warriors. Sure glad to have you on my side.

He pauses for a moment to examine the side of a tree, some possible tracks in the undergrowth, before continuing, "I, myself, am a descendant of the Nalltauri on my father's side."

Burnheart
2013-02-19, 01:43 PM
"The Nalltauri huh" Alain replies after a few moments of thought "I've not heard anything about them beyond their name, what are they known for?"

Moranica
2013-02-20, 04:11 PM
Akral heads out, and over to the gatehouse. He walks around and than starts using his thumb and index finger to get estimates on the size of the structure, should he rebuild it out of stone.

He has 4 shape stone's each day, or 64 cu. ft of stone to shape each day.

After getting a full estimate, he goes over Haleth's list of supplies and checks the supply of stone.

Sabishii
2013-02-20, 04:15 PM
"Nor would I expect you to know much." Valentyne says with a laugh. "The Nalltauri are quite the reclusive people. When I lived with Father it was quite rare to meet an outsider. Mother and I were somewhat of a peculiarity among the clan. The Nalltauri are mostly woodsmen or druids. We follow the ways of nature and Gozreh. We take only what we need and give back as much as we can. Beyond that we are excellent trackers and exceptional marksmen as you might have already noticed." he grins clearly referring to his performance from the battle the day before.

Burnheart
2013-02-20, 07:14 PM
"If they have anything like your skills they must be a mighty tribe indeed" Alain responds with his own grin.