PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into 3.5~ need some character suggestions

Pandoras Folly
2013-01-18, 12:17 PM
so I'm going back to 3.5 and I need some help picking out classes for characters. Ihave acouple ideas that need fleshing out and its been a couple years since I played 3.5 so details and some of the more effective combos I just dont remember.

Some ideas

I would like to play a paladinish character who worships a neutral God of magick. Doesnt have to be a paladin, maybe crusader. I would like to answer the question "what are you?" With "a librarian."

Monk: while not the strongest class I really enjoy playing. I like the flavor and frankly I make crazy good rolls all the time playing monk. a vow of poverty and some psionic multiclassing wouldn't hurt.

Barbarian likewise loves me. The crazier stuff I do the better my roles, "HEY!! Ya'll watch this is!!" makes my dice happy. Sneaky Kool aid man is also another good option.

If you have any other good ideas put them out there

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-18, 12:23 PM
So, before I get swordsaged, someone is gonna say unarmed swordsage instead of monk. Personally, I like monk too, but swordsage seems much more able to compete damage-wise at various levels. There are some monkish prc in ToB with this in mind, I believe.

Keld Denar
2013-01-18, 12:33 PM
Tashalatora, a feat in Secrets of Sarlona, basically duct tapes all of the good parts of monk onto a nice Psionic manifester chassis. You get UAS damage, AC, and Flurry without the crappy slowfall and 1/day SLAs.

That is a very good build idea.

subject42
2013-01-18, 12:54 PM
You know, Factotum (Dungeonscape) might not be too terrible for your concept.

Pseudo-spellcasting
Strong Focus on Intelligence (Librarian)
INT modifier as a bonus to Break checks (kool aid man)
ALL skills as class skills, so you can mimic other class feels.
Healing that looks an awful lot like Lay on Hands.

Take a martial study feat or two (to emulate crusader) and you're probably in business.

Pandoras Folly
2013-01-18, 01:07 PM
:this is my first time gaming with this group and I don't know if they'll all the splat Books or if the are core books only. I will look into the factotum as a pallysub?
what book is it in?.
The swordsage ihave heard about, but have zero experience with ToM.

Frankly ill be surprised if the game makes it past 6th level, so few hold together.

I really miss my 4e monk, I ended up healing half again as many hps as our cleric.:smallcool:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-01-18, 01:27 PM
I would like to play a paladinish character who worships a neutral God of magick. Doesnt have to be a paladin, maybe crusader. I would like to answer the question "what are you?" With "a librarian."

Hmmm... a LG Paladin of Mystra (Forgotten Realms) have an ACF that lets them have a spellbook and prepare wizard spells in their slots. Add that to the Serenity feat (Dragon Compendium) to help with MADness, and it might work out okay.

If you're intending on staying a Paladin, looking into the Divine Spirit ACF in Complete Champion is definitely worth a look.

subject42
2013-01-18, 01:32 PM
:this is my first time gaming with this group and I don't know if they'll all the splat Books or if the are core books only. I will look into the factotum as a pallysub?
what book is it in?. :

Factotum is in Dungeonscape (forgot to include that in my original post).

While he's not responsible for the Factotum, it's a book in which Mr. Burlew has a large writing credit.

docnessuno
2013-01-18, 01:46 PM
so I'm going back to 3.5 and I need some help picking out classes for characters. Ihave acouple ideas that need fleshing out and its been a couple years since I played 3.5 so details and some of the more effective combos I just dont remember.

Some ideas

Monk: while not the strongest class I really enjoy playing. I like the flavor and frankly I make crazy good rolls all the time playing monk. a vow of poverty and some psionic multiclassing wouldn't hurt.

Barbarian likewise loves me. The crazier stuff I do the better my roles, "HEY!! Ya'll watch this is!!" makes my dice happy. Sneaky Kool aid man is also another good option.

If you have any other good ideas put them out there

Paladini-ish: Cleric of wee-Jas (lawful neutral goddes of death and magic) 4 / Crusader 1 / Ruby knight vindicator X

Librarian: Archivist X (Dip into any PRC granting turn undead if you want DMM). Take the academic priest feat for Int-SAd casting.

Psi monk: Monk 2 / Psywar X with Tashalatora, or Decisive strike monk 2-6 / Something 0-4 / War mind X (still using Tashalatora).

Barbarian: Goliath Lion/wolf totem barbarian 2 (UA wolf AND CC lion), Fighter 6 (dungeoncrasher), then progress as you wish (ToB works great). Extra rage, Knockback, Shock trooper, Leap attack and have fun slamming everyone into everyone and everything.

Other ideas:

Pure Warblade 20
Pure Duskblade 20 or duskblade 15 / Abjurant champion 5
TWF Rogue / Swashbuckler / Swordsage
Fighter / Crusader, lockdown and movement denial build.
Ranger / Scout, swift hunter archer.

Pandoras Folly
2013-01-18, 03:51 PM
Couple questions.

Looking over flurry of blows and ranger's many shot abilities. How would theybe affected by the user being a thri kreen with multi weapon fighting?

Something like psionic warrior with tashalatora

Though just about any of your suggestions with a thrikreen would be neat.

Two great sword wielding mantis of weejas

Mantis hunting knowledge as a factotum...i'mgoing to eat you knowledge

subject42
2013-01-18, 04:01 PM
...i'mgoing to eat you knowledge

Well if you want to open up that can of worms, look at the Illithid Savant.

Bubzors
2013-01-18, 04:04 PM
For the paladinish feel, you could go with cloisetered cleric ACF into a crusader. The whole feel of the cloistered cleric is this studious, less martial character, which fits nicely into your librarian theme. Take the knowledge devotion feat and you can add your knowledge skills to bonuses on attack and damage rolls.

Pandoras Folly
2013-01-18, 04:28 PM
As in am going to eat you knowledge the anthropomorphic concept.

Hmm I will look at cloistered cleric acf crusader

Keld Denar
2013-01-18, 05:17 PM
Looking over flurry of blows and ranger's many shot abilities. How would theybe affected by the user being a thri kreen with multi weapon fighting?

Multishot, being a single standard action doesn't combine well with anything, really. Flurry, Rapid Shot, TWF/MWF, however, are all done as part of a full attack. Their effects are additive, as are the penalties. Each is more or less resolved individually. Example, if you had four arms, Multiweapon Fighting, Flurry of Blows, Rapid Shot, and a whole pocket full of surikens, you could throw 4 with your arms plus one for flurry plus one for rapid shot. All throws would be made with a -6 penalty since the offhand throws are light.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-01-18, 06:49 PM
For the first one, Archivist going into Prestige Paladin, along side all that wizard spell stuff, might be the way to go. With a cleric dip, for prerequisites, you'd end up with 7th level spells, from ANY divne spellcasting class.