PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Countering Miss Chance

Vastly
2013-01-18, 02:07 PM
I've been looking for a comprehensive list of spells and abilities that allow players to counter/cancel out miss chance, and I couldn't find any.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Faerie Fire but it only seems to apply to miss chance from darkenss, blur, displacement, and invisibility, but not spells/effects like obscuring mist.

I know there are more, but can't think of them.

Edge of Dreams
2013-01-18, 02:25 PM
See Invisibility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/see-invisibility) and True Seeing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/true-seeing) are the classic spells.

jmelesky
2013-01-18, 02:53 PM
The Blind-Fight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/blind-fight-combat) chain of feats are the martial way to deal.

Corlindale
2013-01-18, 03:54 PM
Blindsight is the most effective way, but can be hard to get. There's a spell called Echolocation which grants it, I think. It should negate forms of concealment.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-18, 09:52 PM
Seeking weapon enhancement completely negates even total concealment.

Oracle has two revelations, one for Waves and one for Flames mysteries that let you see through fogs/mist. IMO, the waves' Water Sight might work on slightly more conditions by the wording, but I could be wrong.

Horizon Walker PrC has a terrain dominance option to reduce total concealment to concealment. Combine with an ability to negate non-total concealment like Improved Precise Shot, and you never have to worry about concealment.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-18, 11:37 PM
The limning property (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/limning) should help against many sources of miss chance.

doko239
2013-01-19, 01:33 AM
This is kind of stating the obvious, but True Strike.

Crake
2013-01-19, 03:10 AM
I've been looking for a comprehensive list of spells and abilities that allow players to counter/cancel out miss chance, and I couldn't find any.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Faerie Fire but it only seems to apply to miss chance from darkenss, blur, displacement, and invisibility, but not spells/effects like obscuring mist.

I know there are more, but can't think of them.

Doesn't faerie fire get negated by darkness, being a lower level light spell inside a higher level darkness spell?

BTB
2013-01-19, 03:30 AM
Actually, that revelation from the Oracle's wave mystery gives me an idea. Take an Oracle with the haunted curse. Upend a Decanter of Endless water. Every drop of water flies 10 ft in a random direction. This creates a 10 ft radius sphere of water droplets around you. Make it thick enough (say, use geyser setting) to grant some form of concealment, an artificial Obscuring Mist. Use Water Sight revelation. You've now created a permanant one way obscuring mist for the cost of one level in Oracle. Rogues are happy.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-19, 04:01 AM
Or you could just buy a wand of Obscuring Mist....

BTB
2013-01-19, 04:33 AM
Yeah, but that requires a UMD, which rogues get, but I'm that odd guy who prefers the antisocial rogue. Besides, my way is more fun. And the wand of obscuring mist won't allow me to so easily negate the concealment on my attacks.

Daftendirekt
2013-01-19, 05:15 AM
This is kind of stating the obvious, but True Strike.

...No. Even if you have +100 to hit (somehow :smallconfused: ) you could still miss due to concealment.

Corlindale
2013-01-19, 05:27 AM
...No. Even if you have +100 to hit (somehow ) you could still miss due to concealment.

Actually, True Strike does negate concealment...

"You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target."

Daftendirekt
2013-01-19, 05:34 AM
Actually, True Strike does negate concealment...

"You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target."

Oh, well I stand corrected. I haven't used the spell in a while >_>

StreamOfTheSky
2013-01-19, 10:06 AM
Yeah, but that requires a UMD, which rogues get, but I'm that odd guy who prefers the antisocial rogue. Besides, my way is more fun. And the wand of obscuring mist won't allow me to so easily negate the concealment on my attacks.

Obscuring Mist is on the cleric/oracle spell list. By dipping Oracle, you gain the ability to use wands of obscuring mist. As well as just plain use your spell slots for it if you can manage at least an 11 charisma.

TopCheese
2013-01-19, 12:50 PM
Meh on spells!

Go a few levels of Barbarian and get "Spell Sunder", not only negate the miss chance but quite literally knock it off the mage.

You can sunder on a full attack... And full attack on the end of a charge (beast totem)... soo a raging charging barbarian who the wizard thinks won't be able to hit him charges in with a crap ton CMB and..

First swing: Literally slices the magic effect off from him (making said mage feel naked)

Second swing: Hits the puny AC on the Wizard, does around 1/2 the wizards HP in damage.

Third swing: If you get a third attack then look at what happened with the second swing...

:D

(There is many ways around all this and many ways to get this to happen in game... But let's just say the player who had his pc mindrape my pc's family (mother/father) and go off to a suicidal mission thought he was safe... Yeah... No he wasn't...)

Psyren
2013-01-19, 01:46 PM
There are items like Gem of Seeing if the concealment is due to an illusion or similar.

Are psionics allowed? There's the Steadfast Perception (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/s/steadfast-perception) power, as well as the more generally useful Pierce the Veils (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/p/pierce-the-veils) (psionic true seeing.)

Menzath
2013-01-19, 07:11 PM
well there are those mage slayer feats in complete arcane.
One of them being pierce magical concealment. works darn well vs. those spells. not to good vs. normal miss chance.

BTB
2013-01-20, 12:54 AM
Obscuring Mist is on the cleric/oracle spell list. By dipping Oracle, you gain the ability to use wands of obscuring mist. As well as just plain use your spell slots for it if you can manage at least an 11 charisma.

Why use spell slots when I can have it passive at all times?