PDA

View Full Version : Is there a skeleton like race that isn't actually undead?

Metroid33
2013-01-18, 08:56 PM
Th title of the thread kinda says it all, I've been wondering this for a little while now and I just don't have the time to sit through and read every single monster guide for every single 3e 3.5 PF and 4e books that have ever come out, If someone can just point me in the right direction or tell me that it doesn't exist then that's good to.

Wookie-ranger
2013-01-18, 09:07 PM
First thing that comes to mind is the Feat "Deformity (Gaunt)"
It is a vile feat in BoVD p.48.
It does not turn you into a skeleton or undead but it gives you a "a skeletal appearance"

Also the "deathless" trait in the Eberron Campaign Setting makes you a none-living being, but not undead.
With minor adjustments and fluff this could mean that a Deathless can be (look like) a skeleton.

Ravens_cry
2013-01-18, 09:16 PM
The Cursed Old One has a skeleton like appearance, albeit one stuck in a melting piece of Jello and are technically playable.

123456789blaaa
2013-01-18, 09:19 PM
The Cursed Old One has a skeleton like appearance, albeit one stuck in a melting piece of Jello and are technically playable.

Where can these be found?

The Viscount
2013-01-18, 09:19 PM
Bone Devils aren't exactly playable, but they are extremely skeletal. Dromite are very thin by human standards, but they have an exoskeleton IIRC.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-01-18, 09:28 PM

You mean the Cursed Cold Ones? AKA Geluns. Sandstorm, page 145.

Other than those, the only non-undead skeletal thing I can think of would be a bone golem (can't remember what book they're from, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them somewhere). Add the Incarnate Construct (Savage Species) to that and you should be good.

Snowbluff
2013-01-18, 09:40 PM
Ooh! Ooh! I can play an Incarnate Construct Bone Golem?

... How would that even work? :smallconfused:

It is listed as one of the worst DnD monsters by Cracked, I think.

PS: Stick legs don't cover things as well as thighs do.

Starbuck_II
2013-01-18, 09:49 PM
Cadaver Golems (heroes of Horror) are more zombie-like but they could work if Incarnated.

Dragonbone Golems (Draconomicon) are skeleton dragon looking.

Bone Golems source I find: http://www.pandius.com/bnegolem.html

navar100
2013-01-18, 10:34 PM
The Deathless were originally in Book Of Exalted Deeds and not elf exclusive.

drack
2013-01-18, 11:57 PM
mm5 fang golem
anyone with a nifty disguise/was starved
animated objects... well that last one may not count as alive.
Could probably fluff most plant creatures that way too.

JeminiZero
2013-01-19, 12:02 AM
Besides Bone Golems, you can also simply animate a humanoid skeleton as a Medium Animated Object instead of an undead.

Then find a way to give it sentience. Other methods have been mentioned above. I would like to mention the Soulfused construct template, which gives it +1 LA.

ngilop
2013-01-19, 12:04 AM
by skeleton like you mean just composed of bones?

or do you mean really skinny?

Invader
2013-01-19, 12:10 AM
A Crypt Warden looks exactly like a skeleton and is technically deathless and not undead.

Metroid33
2013-01-19, 07:45 AM
by skeleton like you mean just composed of bones?

or do you mean really skinny?

Like what appears as bones. But in reality could mean so skinny that the skin is literally right on the bone.

Yora
2013-01-19, 08:15 AM
It's hard being alive without organs. Undead or construct are the only real solutions there.

drack
2013-01-19, 09:00 AM
Oh yeah, and bone knight (five nations)
You wear armor made of bones :smallwink:

Psyren
2013-01-19, 09:11 AM
Changeling that always looks undead :smalltongue:

It's hard being alive without organs. Undead or construct are the only real solutions there.

To be fair, oozes, plants, and elementals get along without organs too, though I doubt any of those would be skeletal.

drack
2013-01-19, 09:13 AM
Well as I suggested above a plant can use branches/vines to look skeletal :smallwink:

Metroid33
2013-01-19, 09:15 AM
Well as I suggested above a plant can use branches/vines to look skeletal :smallwink:

Well thanks you guys that answers my question.

LOTRfan
2013-01-19, 09:15 AM
There's a Pathfinder race that fits this description. I believe they are called Obitu?

They're a race of constructed creatures made for war, sort of like Warforged, if I remember correctly. They're not living constructs, though. And Pathfinder races are usually considered LA +1 in a regular D&D campaign, yes?

EDIT: Obitu Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Obitu are supernaturally strong and quick, though often lack the self-confidence to be charismatic or charming.
Medium Size: Obitus have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Normal Speed: Obitus move at base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Obitu can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Fossil Fortitude: Obitu gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison.
Improved Initiative: Obitu gain the Improved Initiative feat at first level as a racial bonus feat.
Nimble Form: Due to a preternaturally thin and agile body, obitu gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Escape Artist, and Sleight of Hand skill checks.
Negative Energy Resistance: Obitu have negative energy resistance equal to 5 + ½ their character level. This resistance applies to damage from channeled negative energy and spells that harness negative energy to cause damage such as inflict light wounds and harm.
Sleep Immunity: Rather than sleep, obitu enter a meditative state known as trance. They are fully aware of their surroundings while in this state. In addition, obitu are immune to magic sleep effects.
Languages: Obitu begin play speaking Common. Obitu with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Gnome, Goblin, or Orc.

The source for the stats and the fluff is here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/Obitu).

Metroid33
2013-01-19, 09:34 AM
There's a Pathfinder race that fits this description. I believe they are called Obitu?

They're a race of constructed creatures made for war, sort of like Warforged, if I remember correctly. They're not living constructs, though. And Pathfinder races are usually considered LA +1 in a regular D&D campaign, yes?

EDIT: Obitu Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma: Obitu are supernaturally strong and quick, though often lack the self-confidence to be charismatic or charming.
Medium Size: Obitus have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Normal Speed: Obitus move at base speed of 30 feet.
Darkvision: Obitu can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Fossil Fortitude: Obitu gain a +4 racial bonus on saving throws against disease and poison.
Improved Initiative: Obitu gain the Improved Initiative feat at first level as a racial bonus feat.
Nimble Form: Due to a preternaturally thin and agile body, obitu gain a +2 racial bonus on Acrobatics, Escape Artist, and Sleight of Hand skill checks.
Negative Energy Resistance: Obitu have negative energy resistance equal to 5 + ½ their character level. This resistance applies to damage from channeled negative energy and spells that harness negative energy to cause damage such as inflict light wounds and harm.
Sleep Immunity: Rather than sleep, obitu enter a meditative state known as trance. They are fully aware of their surroundings while in this state. In addition, obitu are immune to magic sleep effects.
Languages: Obitu begin play speaking Common. Obitu with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Gnome, Goblin, or Orc.

The source for the stats and the fluff is here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/Obitu).

Oh cool this is the kind of thing I was looking for.