PDA

View Full Version : Mask of Bonus feat

Cranthis
2013-01-18, 11:41 PM
In game now, I have aquired a mask that gives a bonus feat. I have no idea what to take. Its only limit is that it can't have spell craft or caster levels as a requirement. I am a stealthy character. And I have to have the requirements to use the feat.

My feats: TWPF, Weapon finesse, Darkstalker, Dodge, Mobility, Craven. (Its for a certain build.)

Story
2013-01-18, 11:58 PM
Take Extra Granted Maneuver and look at the Swordsage list.

avr
2013-01-19, 01:22 AM
Hidden Talent for a psi point reserve & a power, then look into Psionic Weapon etc for later feats. Or Martial Study (which I think is what Story meant). Shadow Blade might be useful.

Story
2013-01-19, 02:18 AM
Oops, sorry I forgot the exact name of the feat. I meant whatever feat it was that lets you dip Tob Maneuvers.

SowZ
2013-01-19, 02:59 AM
Using feats to grab assassin's stance and then grab a utility move or two is nice. Teleportation is always handy.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-19, 03:35 AM
Can you give us a more complete build, with class levels, race, ability scores, and a short description of your playstyle? Basically, an idea of what your guy's shtick is, mechanically.

You could always take Leadership. Grab some popcorn, then watch the DM learn a valuable lesson in homebrewing as he bends over backwards to justify it in-universe. Get them to help with flanking and Aid Another you, using them to pump your attack rolls, AC, and skill checks. Perhaps a Small race, so you can pack more of them into adjacent squares.

SowZ
2013-01-19, 03:55 AM
Can you give us a more complete build, with class levels, race, ability scores, and a short description of your playstyle? Basically, an idea of what your guy's shtick is, mechanically.

You could always take Leadership. Grab some popcorn, then watch the DM learn a valuable lesson in homebrewing as he bends over backwards to justify it in-universe. Get them to help with flanking and Aid Another you, using them to pump your attack rolls, AC, and skill checks. Perhaps a Small race, so you can pack more of them into adjacent squares.

Leadership: Comes with free trap detectors, meatshields, strange portal testers, mobile wheelbarrows, and much, much more!

TuggyNE
2013-01-19, 03:55 AM

A mask of Leadership seems a lot easier to justify than some feats. All you need to do is mention that the mysterious mask somehow fires the imagination of those you meet, inspiring them to follow you, tell stories about you, or otherwise increase your fame as a leader. :smalltongue:

Zanthy1
2013-01-19, 11:46 AM
A mask of Leadership seems a lot easier to justify than some feats. All you need to do is mention that the mysterious mask somehow fires the imagination of those you meet, inspiring them to follow you, tell stories about you, or otherwise increase your fame as a leader. :smalltongue:

A Mask becomes the symbol of your character, and people will follow the symbol. Think is Code Geass (an anime) where he wears the mask of Zero. Anyone can wear the mask, the people love Zero, they do not know who is underneath. Or in V for Vendetta (a movie) His mask represents an idea, which cannot be easily destroyed. The Mask of Leadership is sort of like a superhero, and when the character dies, someone else will pick it up, and the people will follow him thinking that he is the same hero, or maybe different, thats up to the DM really.

I think the Mask of Leadership is a wonderfully roleplay heavy homebrew item, and should be used responsibly, either to be a superhero or supervillian.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-19, 11:55 AM

Now that I think of it, that could work in a literary/storytelling sense. The people don't follow the man, they follow the mask, which represents the deception (well, the personal image, the ideology) a leader needs to command others. With the mask on, you feel like a different person: bold, confident, energetic, nothing could go wrong... but without it, you have self-doubt, you stutter, your words no longer have weight. As one continues to wear it, he feel the mask's influence, needing to resist its deleterious influence on his decisions as a leader. And perhaps if one keeps the mask on too long, it fuses to his face and dominates him completely; he loses his identity and becomes the mask. The mask's personality might turn confidence into foolhardiness; the wearer is compelled to take risks as though he cannot lose.

EDIT: Damn ninjas...

Zanthy1
2013-01-19, 12:12 PM
EDIT: Damn ninjas...

It is good to see that we think similarly in this sense :smallbiggrin:

Cranthis
2013-01-19, 04:32 PM
Danggit. I have allready set the mask as Martial study: Shadow Jaunt. However, the mask changes if you actually have or take the feat thats on it, so at a higher level, I can change it, because I do plan on getting the feat itself eventually.

Socratov
2013-01-20, 10:59 AM
yeah, that was my question: does it work the way of a ficed feat you pick now and not alter? or is more like chameleon's floating feat where you can change the feat by un-equipping and re-equipping the mask + some attunement of some sort. Because a floating feat can be much more usefulif you tend to plan ahead (also for manuevers, just take a different set when you expect to go underground like stone dragon for digging, and such). In that case I'd like to advise you to keep a list of handy sets for every circumstance and just pick one per iteration.

nedz
2013-01-20, 11:04 AM
Well Skill Focus(Disguise), Skill Focus(Perform) or Persuasive would seem appropriate — if less than useful.

I second the floating feat idea — could be hilarious.

andromax
2013-01-20, 12:34 PM
Danggit. I have allready set the mask as Martial study: Shadow Jaunt. However, the mask changes if you actually have or take the feat thats on it, so at a higher level, I can change it, because I do plan on getting the feat itself eventually.

Try to set it as Martial Study: Shadow Blink, and UMD the **** out of it so you can jaunt as a swift action.

I think it'd be possible if the feat existed on the item, rather than you possessing it. Basically a standard UMD to use a class restricted item, right?

Cranthis
2013-01-20, 05:10 PM
It is a fixed unless the wearer of the mask has/ aquires the feat. And I am not the one who has it, it is on the mask. It just gives me the affects. Otherwise, the floater would be great.