PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Magical Locations

Story
2013-01-19, 12:40 AM
Complete Scoundrel has magical locations which grant a permanent benefit, most famously the Otyugh Hole and Frog God's Phane. But in most of the other places I've checked, the duration is always at most a year. So far the only permanent bonus I've found outside of CS is the Terrible Cyst from DMGII. (Technically, Boccob's Reading Room is also permanent.)

Does anyone have a list of magical locations that grant a permanent benefit? Are there any that I missed?

Edit: Here's the list of ones I've found in case anyone else in the future is trying to find them.

Complete Champion - none

Complete Mage
Boccob's Reading Room - scribe a single spell for double the normal price. Basically useless except for RPing learning an obscure spell.

Complete Scoundrel
Court of Theives 6k - Any luck feat, bonus to Leadership
Frog God's Phane 2k - Skill Focus Knowledge in History, Nature, or Religion
* Suggested Variations: Knowledge Architecture and Engineering, The Planes, Geography, and Nobility and Royalty.
Heward's Hall 5k - Skill Focus (Perform) or any Bardic Music feat if you already have it
* Suggested Variation: Skill Focus (Craft) / Item creation feats
Highest Spire 3k - Skill Focus (Climb) or Agile Athelete
Iron Wyrm Vault 3k - Nimble Fingers, Stealthy, Tactile Trapsmith, or Skill Focus in Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Lock, or Search
Otyugh Hole 3k - Extend Rage, Iron Will, Menacing Demeanor, or Skill Focus (Intimidate)

Dungeon Master's Guide II
Terrible Cyst 2.5k - Smite Good 1/day

Fiendish Codex II - none

Books checked which don't appear to have any magical locations, even temporary ones: Complete Arcane, Complete Psionic

Honorable Mention - locations which only grant a benefit while you're in them: Magic of Incarnum

Hirax
2013-01-19, 12:43 AM
Fiendish Codex 2 has a few sprinkled throughout (worm of Minauros and Shriver are most notable), Complete Mage or Arcane has a few, and I think DMG 2 also has some. There's a smattering of them in other books, I know a list exists somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Story
2013-01-19, 01:14 AM
None of the ones in Complete Mage last more than a year.

Story
2013-01-27, 02:19 PM
I just checked Fiendish Codex II, but they're all limited to 99 days. None of the ones in Complete Champion are permanent either.

herrhauptmann
2013-01-27, 07:22 PM
Earth/Evil nodes, from Underdark and Champions of Ruin are technically magical locations.
They don't count as treasure in the sense of the Fane or Hole, and their benefits end once you exit them. Not as you mean them anyway.
There's a 3rd level teleport spell that can take you between nodes, which while limited, can at times be better than waiting for the Teleport spell. And of course, it's possible to generate your own nodes.

Once you've got a node, you take a feat for a small bonus to your defenses when in nodes. You can use the node for extra spells when inside it, store items, and even imprison people within the node. While imprisoned, people essentially cease to exist, and they can be summoned from any node by the person who imprisoned them. They can be freed by other people, but only from within the node where they were imprisoned, at a fairly high DC too.

Clause
2023-07-09, 04:15 PM
There is one in psionics handbook(or the expanded one) where a oracle will "retrain" anything in your caracter sheet. The efect is permanent.

In avernus, the sipral... have one location where, if you meditate for a timeuninterrupted, you gainn a increase in wisdon of permanent +2

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?400840

And THIS thread can help ☝️☝️☝️

Clause
2023-07-09, 04:19 PM
Another link with descriptions and the books:

https://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=10240.0

Zanos
2023-07-09, 06:00 PM
I just checked Fiendish Codex II, but they're all limited to 99 days. None of the ones in Complete Champion are permanent either.
I believe these can be renewed by performing corrupt/obesciant acts, or getting other people to do them if you're already LE.

truemane
2023-07-09, 07:59 PM
Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy